Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Clow Child ❯ No More Secrets ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: Sakura & Syaoran face their new enemy, and find out more about each other.

~...~ are thoughts.


Clow Child, Part 3: No More Secrets


Sakura wasn't sure what to expect when she rang Syaoran's doorbell the next morning. She certainly wasn't expecting Meiling to answer the door.

"What do YOU want?" Meiling asked, glaring at her.

Before Sakura could think of an answer, Syaoran appeared at the door. "Let her in, Meiling. We need to talk. All of us."

Meiling hesitated, but finally moved aside. "I'll be watching you, Kinomoto."

Sakura quickly walked in and stood beside Syaoran. "Are you sure we all have to talk?"

"Yes," he said with a nod. "We're going to need extra help to defeat this new force. Follow me."

* * * * *

Wei didn't allow visitors in his lab for strict security reasons. Even Syaoran and Meiling didn't have access to all his materials. So he was understandably upset when Syaoran brought in a stranger without asking. He was even more upset to learn she was Kinomoto Sakura, who was, in his mind, their enemy. He made a point of letting Syaoran know this, and quite loudly.

Syaoran wasn't embarrassed, as he should have been. In fact, he was downright disrespectful with his reply. While he had valid points about the new force being too strong for him to fight alone, as well as the fact that it now had a host (or hostage, from Sakura's perspective), Wei wasn't about to trust Sakura with any of their secrets.

"She's an outsider, Syaoran!" he insisted. "She's not a descendant of Clow Reed!"

"That doesn't matter! She's still a CardCaptor, and besides, Tomoyo is her friend. If anyone can still reach her, Sakura can."

"Would you two stop it?!" Sakura shouted, tears coming to her eyes. "Every minute you stand here fighting is another minute that...thing...has my best friend! If you're not going to help her, at least tell me now so I can!"

"Don't worry," Syaoran said quietly, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Even if Wei won't help, I will. We'll get Tomoyo back, Sakura. I promise you that."

"Just how do you plan to do that?" Wei asked.

"Simple," Syaoran replied. "I'm going to inject myself with more than one Clow Card this time, and I don't need your help. Meiling told me she knows to do it."

Sakura stopped crying and looked at him. "Syaoran, I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds dangerous."

"It is. I'll explain everything while Meiling prepares. You better sit down for this one."

* * * * *

Normally, Kero would be more than happy to have the house to himself. But this wasn't a normal day. At least, it had been until about 9:45 AM. That was when someone had called and left a message on the answering machine.

"Mr. Kinomoto, this is Ms. Hadana, Sakura's teacher. I'm calling because Sakura didn't show up for class today."

Kero hadn't heard the rest of the message. He was already trying to think of where Sakura might have gone. So far, he hadn't had any luck. But something told him that she was in danger, and that something was right.

* * * * *

"I'm doing it, too."

Syaoran and Meiling glanced at each other, and then looked at Sakura. "No, you're not!" they both said at once.

"Yes, I am!" she insisted. "You said yourselves that Syaoran couldn't do this alone, and that thing has already proven that it's stronger than any one Clow Card. We'll have a better chance if there are two of us that have been injected."

"You don't get it, Kinomoto," Meiling said. "We only took the risk of injecting Syaoran because he's the Clow Child. There's no telling what might happen if we tried it on you."

"But I have to try! Tomoyo needs me, and I'm not going to abandon her!"

Meiling still looked doubtful, but sighed. "Fine, but I'll only let you do it if Syaoran agrees."

Sakura looked at him with pleading eyes. ~Come on, Syaoran. Say yes. Please say yes!~

~I can't let her do this. The injection alone could be fatal. There's no telling what might happen if she uses the powers. She could turn into some kind of monster that I might end up fighting, and I could never bring myself to do that. All I have to do is say no, and I'll save us both a world of trouble.~ Syaoran opened his mouth to speak, but then made the mistake of looking into Sakura's eyes. He closed his eyes, shook his head, and sighed. "All right, Sakura. But you can only choose two Cards."

"Thank you, Syaoran!" she cried, throwing her arms around him. The act took them both by surprise, and Sakura quickly released him and backed away before Meiling could say anything.

"Right. Let's just do this," Syaoran muttered. "I'll be using Dash, Time, and Shadow."

"I'll take Power and Fly. But...are you sure you should be using the Shadow Card?"

"No, but I think it's our best bet," he said.

* * * * *

"Wake UP, Kinomoto!" a voice insisted.

Sakura slowly opened her eyes to see Syaoran and Meiling leaning over her. "Is it over?"

Syaoran nodded. "Are you okay?"

~He seems so concerned...even with Meiling right there.~ "Um...I think so." Sakura carefully sat up and tested her limbs. She didn't feel or look any different. ~Maybe it didn't work...~ That was before she felt tingling sensation in her back. "Should there be a strange feeling in my back?"

"You're lucky that's all you're feeling," Syaoran replied. "Go look in the mirror."

Puzzled but curious, Sakura walked over to the mirror. She didn't notice any difference, and was about to say so when a white feather flew past her nose, causing her to sneeze. Then she realized just where the feather had come from. "I...I have wings?" she whispered.

"What did you think the Fly Card would do?" Meiling asked.

"I guess...I just thought it would make me fly....but not like this..."

Syaoran walked over and carefully placed a hand on her shoulder. "They're only temporary, Sakura. Just like these," he said, pointing to his face.

Sakura glanced in the mirror and gasped. Syaoran's eyes were a sickly yellow-green color.

"It's a side effect from the combination of the Dash and Time Cards," he explained. "I feel like everything around me is moving in slow motion, and I can see things in units of time." He drew his hand away. "Which reminds me. We'd better get going. I don't think that shadow is going to wait around for us very long."

Sakura hesitated. "But how do we defeat it without hurting Tomoyo?"

Syaoran paused. "Just remember that if we don't defeat it tonight, there won't be a Tomoyo to save."

* * * * *

"I can't believe they're late!" Tomoyo growled in frustration. "It's almost as if they don't care about this body! As soon as they get here, I'm going to teach them how to be on time for imminent doom!"

Suddenly, a voice shouted, "Element: Lightning!"

Tomoyo screamed as the lightning bolt struck her back. She collapsed in a heap, gasping for air.

Syaoran appeared and kneeled in front of her. "Actually, we've been waiting for you all night. Time just seems to fly sometimes, doesn't it?"

Tomoyo slowly got to her feet. "You fool! How dare you mock me?!" She grabbed for his throat and was surprised come up with a handful of empty air. Before she realized what was happening, Syaoran's right arm wrapped around her neck from behind, while the left pinned her arm. "Let me go!" she screamed, struggling in his tight grip.

Syaoran ignored her. "Now, Sakura!" he shouted. His eyes flashed, and time slowed down.

Sakura appeared overhead, gliding towards them in slow motion. She drew back her fist and aimed a punch at Tomoyo's cheek. Just before it connected, Syaoran forced time forward in a rush. Combined with her new strength and the unnatural speed, Sakura's blow hurled Tomoyo into the air for about three seconds, until she crashed to the ground.

"Syaoran, why did you do that?!" Sakura nearly screamed. "You could've killed-"

"Not now, Sakura!" he interrupted. "Remember the plan!"

Biting her lip, Sakura whipped out her wand and flew over to Tomoyo, who was already trying to get up. Sakura grabbed Tomoyo's waist and forced the wand up to her neck. Then, hoping the plan would work, she flew into air with amazing speed.

"What are you doing?!" Tomoyo shrieked. "Let me go!"

"I'm sorry, Tomoyo, but this is for your own good!" Sakura increased her speed, taking a deep breath before the air began to get thinner. As she'd hoped, Tomoyo's screeching took its toll, and she started making wheezing noises. Still, Sakura climbed higher and higher, wincing in pain as the air pressure took its toll on her own lungs.

Five seconds later, Tomoyo passed out.

Ten seconds later, Sakura finally stopped flying. Still clutching Tomoyo tightly, she wrapped her wings around her friend as they both plummeted downward. She hoped that at least one of them would survive the fall...

* * * * *

Sakura woke up in a hospital bed. Her first concern was Tomoyo, who she found resting peacefully in the next bed. She was so relieved that she nearly missed the fact that her wings were still present.

"Don't worry about them. I've frozen time. No one will find us here."

Sakura looked up to see Syaoran standing on the other side of her bed. A faint glow was radiating from his body, spreading across the entire room. For some reason, he was also sweating. "What happened?" she asked.

Syaoran took a deep breath. "The shadow left Tomoyo's body during the fall. I had to slow down time in order to catch you both. Then I brought you here." He groaned and shook his head. "Controlling time is harder than I thought it would be."

"Then we'd better get out of here fast." Despite Syaoran's protests, Sakura got out of bed and opened the window. "Don't worry; I'm feeling much better now."

"But you can't carry us both," he said as she picked up Tomoyo.

Sakura tucked Tomoyo under one arm. "You forgot that I still have the Power Card's strength."

Syaoran's body stopped glowing, and he fell to one knee.

Sakura helped him up, draping his arm around her shoulder. "Are you sure you're okay, Syaoran? You don't look so good."

"It takes a lot of power to control time. I just need some rest."

Sakura tightened her grip on him as she flew out of the window. "By the way, what happened to the shadow after it left Tomoyo's body?"

Syaoran hesitated for a moment. "It's still out there. It'll come after one of us, once it's stronger. Probably me." He sighed and closed his eyes. "Sakura, when it possesses me, I want you to do whatever it takes to defeat it for good. Promise me that."

Sakura said nothing, and she avoided his eyes. ~How could he ask me to promise something like that?~

"Promise me," Syaoran repeated, narrowing his eyes.

"Don't ask me to do that. I can only promise that I won't let it win."

He somehow found the energy to smirk. "And here I thought you'd love a chance to take a swing at me."

Sakura lowered her head. "I'm about to say something that you'll probably never hear from me again, and if you try to bring it up later, I'll just deny it." She looked at him for the first time. "I need you, Syaoran."

~Did she just say what I think she just said?~ Syaoran turned bright red. "What?"

"I couldn't have gotten these powers or faced that shadow without your help. That's why I can't stand the thought of having to sacrifice you just to kill that thing. I wouldn't know what to do without you." Her face brightened a bit. "Besides, Meiling would kill me."

"So if you had to choose between destroying that thing while it controlled me, or letting us both go...you'd let us go?" he asked.

"Yes," she admitted with a frown. "It's not something I'm proud of, but I'm scared, Syaoran. Being a CardCaptor used to only be dangerous to us. It's starting to affect people we care about now. Touya and tou-san could be next, or even Wei and Meiling. I don't even want to think about losing you."

~Better be careful with this question, Syaoran.~ "Then does that mean that...you care about me, too?"

Sakura didn't answer right away, but her cheeks turned red, and she absently tightened her grip on him. "I guess it does," she whispered, slowly raising her eyes to meet his.

~I never thought about it before, but in this light, with those wings, she really does look like an angel.~ Syaoran blinked and glanced down. "Uh...you can drop me off here."

"Are you sure?" Sakura asked. ~Why is he always running away just when I think we've gotten closer each time?~

"Yeah. I feel a little stronger now, and I'm gonna be in big trouble with Wei as it is. It'd be better if you weren't with me." Sakura looked hurt for a moment, so he quickly added, "I wouldn't want him to yell at you because of me."

Sakura smiled slightly. "Okay. I guess I should get Tomoyo home, anyway." She carefully landed and released him. "Thanks, Syaoran...for everything."

Before he could respond, she was soaring away, already headed for Tomoyo's house. Syaoran caught one of the feathers that had fallen from her wings and stared at it for a moment. ~Good night, Sakura. I hope your dreams are better from now on.~ He sighed and shook his head. ~Father always told me I'd fall for a weird one. I guess they don't get any weirder than female flying powerhouses.~

Syaoran looked up one more time, catching a final glimpse of Sakura just before disappeared behind a steeple. He wasn't surprised to find her looking back at him. ~Sweet dreams for you, my angel. Always.~ He turned away and started walking, wondering what the next day held in store for him and his partner.

Continued in Part 4: Dark Angel

When the enemy possesses Sakura, Syaoran must choose between taking her life and giving up his own.