Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Clow Child ❯ Dark Angel ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: When the enemy possesses Sakura, Syaoran must choose between taking her life and giving up his own.

~...~ are thoughts.


Clow Child, Part 4 of 5: Dark Angel


Sakura woke up with a smile on her face. ~I can feel it. Something special is going to happen to me today. I just know it.~

"Sakura, get up," Kero said. "You're going to be late, and don't think I didn't know you skipped school yesterday. Where were you?"

Sakura smiled secretively as she got dressed. "Don't worry about it, Kero-chan. I was taking care of some personal business. It won't happen again."

Kero frowned. "You were with him, weren't you?"

"With who?" Sakura asked as she brushed her hair.

"With Syaoran," Kero replied, glaring at her.

"What makes you think that?" Sakura pretended to look for something on her desk.

Kero flew in front of her face. "C'mon, Sakura. If you don't tell me, Tomoyo will."

Sakura giggled and picked up her bookbag. "Actually, she won't, because I didn't tell her, either. So you won't find out unless I want you to." She patted him on the head and grabbed her skates. "Bye, Kero-chan!" she called, racing out of the room.

* * * * *

"So, did you do it?"

Syaoran glanced at his cousin. "Do what?"

"Did you get Kinomoto's Clow Cards?" Meiling asked.

Syaoran reached into his pocket and drew out the Power and Fly Cards. "Only these."

"Well, it's a start. Maybe you can get more next time."

He paused for a second. "I'm giving them back to her."

"What? Why?!"

Syaoran sighed and looked at the Cards. "I can't explain it, but I can't keep these. It'd be wrong."

"But Syaoran, without them, you'll get worse!"

"Only if I use my powers," he said. "I won't be using them as much as I used to, if that's what it takes. I'd rather not fight at all than to have Sakura worrying about me all the time."

"Hey, wait a sec." Meiling looked at him suspiciously. "You always called her Kinomoto before. What's with this Sakura business?"

"It's her name," he muttered quickly. Meiling backed off after that, but he could tell that she was starting to put the pieces together. Once that happened, he'd be in big trouble, with her, Wei, and the rest of his family. But for some reason, Syaoran was starting to think that Sakura was more than worth the trouble.

* * * * *

Tomoyo got to school later than usual, and Sakura didn't get a chance to talk to her until later that afternoon. However, Sakura was surprised to discover that Tomoyo was talking to someone else after school. Still, she was also delighted to find that the person was Syaoran.

"Hey, guys!" she called, waving to them. Tomoyo waved back, but Syaoran only stared at her. Sakura wasn't sure, but she thought she detected a trace of a smile as she ran up to them.

"Sakura, I was just telling Syaoran why I was late today. My mother reported me missing the other day, so we had to go to the police station and cancel it."

"They bought the story?" Sakura asked.

Syaoran nodded. "Tomoyo's a good actor."

~I believe that, after last night.~ "So what are you doing after school, Syaoran?"

Syaoran paled considerably. "Well, I have to go straight home. Wei didn't let me off so easy. I can only leave the house to go to school and to capture Clow Cards...alone."

Sakura's face fell. "Oh. I see."

Tomoyo looked at the two. ~I wonder...could they really be in love with each other and not even know it?~ "Well, if you two ever want to pass some notes to each other, I'd be glad to help," she volunteered.

"Thanks, Tomoyo-chan," Sakura said, flashing her an appreciative grin.

Syaoran reached into his pocket. "I meant to return these last night, but I guess I forgot about them." He pressed two Clow Cards into Sakura's hand.

Sakura looked at him in mild surprise. "Syaoran, don't you need these? Won't you get sick without them?"

"I might, but you'll need them. The shadow's still out there."

Sakura thought for a moment, then reached into her bookbag. She took something out and pressed it into his hand, squeezing his fingers for a moment. "Don't argue, just take them." Before he could stop her, she turned and quickly walked away.

"What are those?" Tomoyo asked.

Syaoran looked down and dropped his jaw. The Windy, Float, and Jump Cards were in his hand, along with a note that had his name on it. ~She gave them to me? She actually...gave them to me? But why?~

* * * * *

Sakura skated faster than usual on the way home from school. She was a little upset that Syaoran was grounded, but when she really thought about it, the only times she was with him were at school and on captures. Of course, he wouldn't be coming back to her house anytime soon, but maybe she could go to his...when Meiling wasn't around.

Then there was her gift of the three Clow Cards. That made her feel really good, because Syaoran hadn't been expecting her to give them up. It was a nice surprise that would make him feel better, emotionally and hopefully, physically.

Sakura was so happy, she didn't even notice the black shape in front of her until it was far too late...

* * * * *

Syaoran went straight to his room and locked the door. He placed the Clow Cards on his dresser, then looked down at the note in his hand. Taking a deep breath, he sat down on his bed to read it.

"Dear Syaoran: I wanted to thank you again for saving me and Tomoyo last night. The Cards were my gift to you, so please don't try to return them. I hope they make you feel better. Sincerely, Sakura."

Syaoran put the note down and fell across his bed. ~I just don't get it. Why would she give me these Cards?~ Just when he was about to give up, the answer came to him in a flashback.

"So if you had to choose between destroying that thing while it controlled me, or letting us both go...you'd let us go?" he'd asked the night before.

"Yes," she'd admitted with a frown. "It's not something I'm proud of, but I'm scared, Syaoran. Being a CardCaptor used to only be dangerous to us. It's starting to affect people we care about now. Touya and my father could be next, or even Wei and Meiling. I don't even want to think about losing you."

"Then does that mean that...you care about me, too?" he'd slowly asked.

"I guess it does," she'd whispered, slowly raising her eyes to meet his. He hadn't really been sure just then, but Syaoran had actually thought she might lean in a little closer, and then...

~Then what? It's not she would have kissed me...is it?~ The more Syaoran thought about it, the more he decided that he had to see Sakura again, and soon. Not because he needed to, though. He'd never admit that. Just because he wanted to find out how much she cared for him. Without realizing it, they had actually become friends...maybe more than that. ~But just how much more?~

* * * * *

Touya was flipping through the channels when he came across a peculiar news report.

"To recap, a winged girl was spotted over the city just minutes ago. Reports of this 'angel' have been flooding our station for the past two hours, and while none of them have been very detailed, authorities are looking into the matter. If this girl approaches you, we suggest that you do nothing to anger or frighten her. Act as normal as possible, and contact the police."

Touya stared at the blurry photo on the screen. ~That almost looks like Sakura, but she's upstairs in her room...isn't she?~

Touya's question was answered when his father came downstairs. "Have you seen your sister at all tonight?"

Touya looked at the TV again. "Maybe, tou-san. Maybe..."

* * * * *

Syaoran was awakened by a frightened scream. It took him several seconds to recognize the voice as Meiling's. It took considerably less time for him to grab his sword and race down to Wei's lab. When he stepped through the door, something told Syaoran that this would be the worst night of his life. As his eyes took in the scene before him, he realized that he was probably right.

Wei was unconscious on the floor, and there was a red stain on his forehead. Just beyond him, Meiling was struggling with something that looked like a shadow with wings. As Syaoran came closer, he could tell the shadow's back was to him.

"Let her go. Right now," he said.

The wings fluttered once, then folded slightly, allowing him a better view. Syaoran didn't like what he saw. Meiling's face was bruised in a few places, but her left arm hung at an unnatural angle. Then the shadow slowly turned around, and he could see that it had Sakura's face.

Without hesitation, Syaoran ran forward and tackled her to the ground. "What did you do to them?!"

Sakura smiled up at him. "I'm glad you came, Syaoran. I was looking for you."

"What did you do to them?!" he shouted again, shaking her.

Sakura's smile faded away. "This." With one quick motion, she drove her fist into his chest.

Syaoran flew across the room and crashed through a table of chemicals. When his vision finally cleared, Sakura was standing over him.

"It's a funny thing, Syaoran," she said softly. "When I control a body, I can read its thoughts. This girl has some very interesting ones about you. Would you like to know what they are?"

Syaoran slowly got to his feet and started to charge again, but she caught his face in her hands. "You wouldn't hurt me, would you, Syaoran?" she asked in her normal voice. She began to stroke his cheek gently with her thumbs.

~Don't listen to her, Syaoran. She's NOT Sakura. She only looks like her.~ Syaoran closed his eyes and drew his sword.

"Don't you remember that night, Syaoran?" she pressed. "Don't you remember the things I said to you?"

Syaoran hesitated.

"Yes, that's right. Remember." Sakura came closer, and closer still. "Remember how you took care of me that night, Syaoran? Now I'm going to pay you back." She closed her eyes, and softly pressed her lips to his.

~NO! Fight her! She's not Sakura! Don't let her win...~ Syaoran could feel his strength being drained, but he didn't want to pull away. ~What's wrong with me?! This isn't Sakura, but I...I can't stop her...~

Sakura finally broke the kiss and smiled at him. "That wasn't so bad, was it?"

Before Syaoran could think of answer, he saw movement behind her. Meiling had somehow gotten to her feet, and was wielding a sword of her own. She ran forward, planning to drive it through Sakura's back.

* * * * *

Though Sakura no longer had control over her own body, she could still feel everything. She had felt the kiss that the shadow had forced upon Syaoran. Somehow, she had even felt Syaoran's confusion and guilt when her lips touched his.

Suddenly, Syaoran shoved her, and she fell to the ground. She felt a sharp pain in one of her wings. Then Syaoran dropped his sword, and she could see the guilt in his eyes.

Fortunately, the shadow rolled over, and Sakura could finally see what had happened. Meiling was on the ground as well, though she was holding her side. There was a spreading red stain beneath her hand. Her gaze fell on Syaoran in disbelief. "How could you?" she whispered.

"I...I'm sorry, Meiling," he said. "I just couldn't let you hurt her."

Tears began to well up in her eyes. "You...you chose her...over me?"

Syaoran fell silent and glanced back at Sakura. "I just didn't want anyone to get hurt," he said at last.

"You hurt me with your sword, Syaoran," Meiling said as she stood up. "Maybe I could forgive that. But this hurts even worse, and I can't forgive you for that."

Sakura could feel her body moving again. Her hand closed around the sword that Syaoran had dropped earlier. An evil smile touched her lips, and she slowly rose to her feet.

* * * * *

Syaoran bit his lip as he stared at Meiling. ~This is crazy. I've never hurt Meiling before. I didn't even think about it; I just...reacted.~

Meiling bent over Wei and checked his pulse. Apparently, she found once, because she started trying to wake him up.

Syaoran was trying to figure out what he should do next when something sharp touched his neck.

"Don't try anything stupid," a deep voice warned.

"What do you want from me?" Syaoran asked.

"A challenge, like the last time we met. You're hardly worth my trouble presently, but that night, you were an excellent opponent."

"So you want a fight?"

"More than that. I need a host to continue my existence in this plane. If you can defeat me, I will leave this body, since you seem to care so much for it. But, if you don't..."

Syaoran swallowed noisily. "What?"

"If you don't win, I'll take your body instead. But either way, the girl will be spared. Do we have a deal?"

"Only if you agree not to hurt anyone else."

There was a slight pause. "Very well. Meet me in the forest at midnight. Don't be late, or I'll assume you're giving up without a fight."

The sword left his neck, and there was a flutter of wings. Syaoran sighed and picked up his sword, brushing a few feathers away from it. Then he noticed that some of them had turned black.

"You're really going to fight it?" Meiling asked suddenly.

"I have to. I can't let that thing keep Sakura's body."

Meiling lowered her voice. "You really do...care for her...don't you?" When he didn't answer, she looked at him. Syaoran was examining a black feather. "What is that?"

"How many Clow Cards do you think I could handle at once?"

She frowned. "Syaoran, I know what you're thinking, and that could be very dangerous. It might even kill you!"

"I have to try. If I don't fight, that thing will keep Sakura's body forever. At least if I lose, she'll be safe."

"Did you even stop to think what that thing might be able to do in the body of the Clow Child?"

Syaoran glared at her. "No, and I really don't care at this point. Now either help me or get out of my way."

* * * * *

Syaoran's plan was risky, that much was certain. But at least he had one. He still wasn't sure if he'd actually be able to harm Sakura, but he would find out soon enough.

He got to the forest twenty minutes early, and kept reviewing the plan in his mind. Each time, it seemed more and more dangerous, but for some reason, it felt right.

Midnight finally arrived, and Sakura stepped out from behind a tree. Her wings were totally black now, and her eyes were crimson. "I knew you'd come," she whispered in the shadow's deep voice. "Are you ready?"

"There's one thing I need to know," Syaoran said. "What happens if neither of us wins?"

Sakura smirked. "Oh, there will be a winner. I won't give up until I have what I want: a good battle or a good host. If you give up, I still get your body. Now, stop stalling and fight!"

Syaoran tightened his grip on his sword and stepped forward.

* * * * *

Sakura wasn't sure what scared her more: the fact that Syaoran was trying to hurt her, or the fact that her body seemed to be stronger than his. ~But he's not trying to hurt me. He's trying to save me. He's fighting for me...even if it costs him his own body.~

Suddenly, she screamed as white-hot pain cut through her body. Syaoran's sword had pierced one of her wings. In rage, the shadow lashed out, batting him away with the over wing. He landed a few yards away, but quickly rose to his feet.

"YOU FOOL!" the shadow roared. "You would harm this body?!"

"If it would stop you from keeping it, you better believe it," Syaoran replied.

Sakura felt a sudden tightness in her throat. ~He really does care for me. He's doing all this for me...~

The shadow chuckled. "So be it. It's time for you to see what this body can really do!"

Sakura felt herself rising into the air. There was a tingling sensation in her wings, and then...pain. Black feathers were flying past her face at an alarming rate, and all of them seemed to be headed straight for Syaoran.

He easily dodged the first few, but as they increased in number, the feathers embedded themselves in his costume. Each time one connected, Syaoran seemed to get weaker. Finally, he fell to one knee, panting for air.

"Had enough?" the shadow asked as they landed in front of him. "Now will you surrender your body to me?"

When Syaoran regained his breath, he stood up and stared into Sakura's eyes for a few tense moments. Finally, he sighed. "You win. I give up."

"A wise choice, CardCaptor," the shadow said.

Fear welled up in Sakura's heat. ~No! NO!!! This can't be happening! Syaoran, keep fighting! Don't do this!~

The shadow began to laugh. "She's begging for you to continue the battle."

"Don't worry, Sakura," Syaoran said. "You'll be free now. Just remember me the way I was."

Before she knew what was happening, Sakura regained control of her body. The first thing she felt was a sharp pain in her right wing. Most of the feathers were white again, and the remaining black ones were falling out. Then she noticed Syaoran.

He was standing very still, and there was a blank look on his face. His right eye was completely black, and the left one would soon be, as well. Syaoran's left eye twitched and then focused on her. "Goodbye, Sakura." She never even saw the sword until it was too late.

Moving faster than humanly possible, Syaoran plunged the hilt of his sword into the dirt. Then he turned away from it and fell backwards onto the blade.

"NOOO!!!" Sakura screamed, forcing herself to turn away. "SYAORAN!!!" Somehow, she finally found the strength to run over and kneel by his side.

His eyes were fully black now, but they slowly faded back to brown. He blinked and looked up at her. "We won," he whispered. "It's all over."

Sakura carefully rolled him on his side and pulled the sword out. Then she held him tightly in her arms. "Syaoran, why did you do that?!" she sobbed, burying her face in his hair.

Syaoran reached up and pressed his hand against her cheek. "I did it for you, Sakura. The shadow was vulnerable while making the transfer. It can never hurt anyone again."

Sakura sniffled and cupped his face in her hands. "Syaoran, you can't die! You just can't! I need you! Please, don't go..."

He sighed and closed his eyes. "I want you to know something, Sakura."

"What?" she whispered sadly.

His eyes slowly opened. "I need to tell you that...I...I love you. That's why I had to do this."

"Oh, Syaoran..." Sakura stroked his cheek with her fingers. "I love you, too..."

He smiled slightly. "There is one thing I want you to do for me."

"Name it," she said softly.

"When the shadow was controlling you, it made you kiss me. Just once...I'd like to know what one feels like...coming from the real you."

Sakura blinked away tears as she leaned closer. Without hesitation, she gently pressed her lips to his, holding the kiss for as long as she could. Then did it again. And again. And again, until Syaoran finally coughed and looked into her eyes.

"Goodbye, my angel." Then he shuddered and went limp in her arms.

Sakura began to cry again, holding him even more tightly. She folded her wings around them both and lowered her head, not even noticing when the sun started to rise.

* * * * *

Meiling woke up as she heard a loud noise. Looking around, she noticed that Wei was leaning over an operating table. Sakura stood nearby, looking as if she'd just lost her best friend.

~NO. He can't be...he wouldn't...~

Meiling got up and started toward the table. As she came closer, Sakura blocked her path. "Don't look, Meiling," she said, begging the girl with her eyes.

Meiling narrowed her eyes. "What did you do to him, Kinomoto? What did you do to my Syaoran?!"

"I didn't do anything," she whispered sadly. "He did it himself."

"You're lying! Syaoran would never do that!"

"Quiet, Meiling!" Wei said suddenly. "We may be able to bring him back, but not if you interfere. Sakura, come over here."

Sakura instantly ran to his side.

Meiling retreated to her room, wondering just why her cousin might have taken his own life. But the more she thought about it, the more she knew that Kinomoto Sakura had to be the answer.

Continued in Part 5: The Ascension

Sakura takes desperate measures to restore Syaoran's life, and the whole world will suffer from her choice.