Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Garden Keeper ❯ chapter four ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Garden Keeper

By Amiboshi-chan

Chapter four

The next summer, Syaoran didn't return to Ba Zhong Island as he had said. Menami was visiting her family that summer, so Yelan had no reason to go there. Syaoran begged, but he couldn't tell her about Sakura. She just wouldn't understand. And so, they stayed in Japan. Syaoran had never been more miserable.

The summer after that brought them back to the island, though. Syaoran didn't even stop to greet Menami. He leapt out of the car and dashed around the side of the house. When he reached the entrance to the garden, he stopped to catch his breath.

There she was, two years older but just as he remembered her. Sakura sat as always on the stone bench, humming softly as she gazed around the garden. Her pale russet hair brushed her shoulders lightly. Slowly, her green eyes finally turned to him.

"Syaoran . . ."

As Sakura stood, her eyes never left his. Syaoran stepped into the garden, slowly making his way towards her. As soon as he crossed the threshold of the stone arbor, though, Sakura launched herself at him, throwing her arms around him and hugging him fiercely. Syaoran regained his balance, and stared down at her in shock. "Sakura, I . . ."

"I thought you weren't going to come back." Sakura said, her voice muffled in his shirt. Syaoran's eyes softened and he put his arms around her.

"I'm sorry. I tried to come last summer, but things didn't work out."

Sakura stood still for a while, leaning into his chest. Then she looked up, a big smile on her face. "I'm glad you're here, anyway. I've been starting to miss you."

Syaoran's eyes widened. "STARTING to miss me??! Why you . . . !!" Sakura pushed herself away from him with a giggle, trotting a few steps away before whirling around and facing him cutely. Her hands were clasped behind her as she smiled cheerfully.

"Come on, let's not start the summer off fighting. Okay, I admit, I have missed you. A lot." She walked over to the bench she had abandoned and sat down, tilting her head. "Come, Syaoran. Sit with me. It has been a while."

Syaoran smiled back as he walked over and took his seat. As he gazed around the garden, his eyes lingered on a peculiar site . . . a lone violet colored rose in a certain place.

Sakura followed his gaze. "It's still alive. You haven't forgotten our flower, have you?"

Syaoran smiled. "I remember. I guess that means we're still friends, huh?"

Sakura gave him an admonishing look. "That you could even say that, moron."

"Hey, who's a moron?!" Syaoran cried.

"You." Sakura winked.

Syaoran smiled and shook his head. "So, we haven't seen each other in two years, you must have something to talk about."

Sakura shook her head. "No, I'm afraid not. Not much happens here, you know? I don't think anyone knows of this garden but you."

Syaoran shook his head again. Sakura was definitely a peculiar girl.

@---{--

Syaoran stayed with Sakura all day. She was so cheerful, it rubbed off on him. By the time he went up to the house for dinner, he was smiling constantly.

"Hey, Menami san. Great dinner!" He said over his miso soup and soba. Menami smiled and thanked him for his kind words. His mother just stared at him.

"I haven't seen Syaoran this cheerful in a long time. He must really love this place." Yelan said to her friend after Syaoran had left the table.

Syaoran wanted to head back out to the garden after dinner, but his mother impeded him from doing so as it had started to rain. Syaoran gave a pout and stayed in his room all night.

@---{--

The next morning was rainy again. The day after brought clear skies, but Syaoran was not able to dash away so quickly. Yelan apprehended him and made him go socialize with Menami a little. "I know you love roaming around outside here, and that's good. But go talk to Menami a bit, would you? She is our host."

So Syaoran spent the next hour talking to Menami- who was rather good company, really. When Syaoran finally left the house, he was smiling again.

Sakura picking the dying flowers off the rose bushes. As usual, Syaoran glanced at the lone violet rose. It stood tall and proud, a miracle of nature. Tiny water droplets clung to the petals of every flower, giving a very ethereal look to the entire garden. Sakura was the picture of serenity, walking among the flowering bushes, picking here, plucking there. Syaoran had to stand and watch for a moment, before he could let himself break the magic by announcing his presence.

Finally, he stepped into the garden. "Hey, Sakura." He said softly.

Sakura looked up. Brushing a few strands of hair behind her ear, she smiled sweetly. "Oh, Hello, Syaoran. Quite a rain we had yesterday, huh? The flowers sure loved it." She glanced at a patch of flowers that had blossomed. "These begonias needed that rain." She bent down, admiring the delicate pink flowers.

Syaoran nodded, then sat on the stone bench. He gazed at the pond, noticing the shell he had given her two years ago sitting by the side. Smiling, he picked it up. "Sakura, you still have this?"

Sakura stood up and walked over to him. "Of course. It was a gift from you." Syaoran reached up and pulled her into a hug.

@---{--

The summer passed much like before. Syaoran spent most of his time with Sakura. They would talk endlessly, and if they had nothing to say, they would sit in silence enjoying each other's company. On warm summer nights, They would sit in the back arbor and watch the sun set over the ocean.

Sorry for the weird ending here. I wasn't sure how to end this chapter. I know I'm not going into much detail of each visit, but I'm going a little quick as this story is over the span of a number of years. Thanks to everyone who reviewed, I'm so glad you liked the story! It always makes me feel good when people like my writing. Bye!

Amiboshi-chan