Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Inevitable ❯ You Will Be Free ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Inevitable
By DarkHeart
 
Disclaimer: I do not own CCS or its characters; I'm just using them. However, some of the characters in this story have been made up by muah! Of course the events and plot or whatever are mine too! ^_^
 
By the way, don't mind the weird names of places - they are words put together by me and my sisters. =D

Chapter 1: “You will be free”
 
Deafening thunder roared throughout the small town of Kamikalfred. Rain poured down on the place and threatened to flood the streets. During the monstrous storm, the whole town slept in darkness. One figure wearing a black cloak ran through the rain desperately - it was a young girl of about 17. In her arms, she held a small baby covered up with blankets. Every now and then she'd whisper comforting words in hopes of hushing the baby's cries. The fear of waking up the townspeople finally vanished as she crossed the border and entered the forest.
 
“We're out of that place,” she said with a relief, “We'll be ok now, Kashima.”
She held the baby tighter and continued the long journey.
 
 
The next morning, in a town called Azeyre, located on the other side of the forest, was a celebration for a new baby. This bigger and wealthy town bloomed with joy and prosperity. The most fortunate and prosperous couple, the Li couple, had just been blessed with a beautiful child. All the inmates of the town gathered for an enormous baby shower at the Li household. With their vast land and gigantic mansion-like house, they had more than enough room for everyone in the huge town. The Li property was flamboyantly decorated and the entertainment was plenty. Children's rides, clowns, and lots of other amusing things kept the kids busy. A band was playing music and men grabbed women for romantic dances. In the midst of all this partying, Yelan Li was admiring her new born baby.
 
“Welcome to the family, Syaoran,” His mother whispered, hugging the baby to her bosom.
 
------------------------12 hours later-----------------------
 
As Yelan put the small baby to sleep, the last guest left. She took one last look at her baby before leaving the room; he was sound asleep. She watched as his stomach moved up and down with each breath he took. For a baby, Syaoran had a lot of hair - it was messy and dark brown. She could imagine the baby opening its dark brown eyes and staring at her with its adorable expression. As Yelan swam in her thoughts of the child, the doorbell rang. She thought it might be the guests returning to get something they forgot. However, when she peered through the eye-hole in the door, she realized that it was someone unfamiliar. The stranger started banging on the door frantically and yelled, “Please! Help me! Please!”
 
Yelan jerked the door open without thinking and jumped from shock at the sight. A small figure emerged through the door - it was a person dressed in a black cloak holding a small baby. The person pulled down the hood and looked up at Yelan - it was a young girl, and she was a mess! Underneath the cloak, she wore torn blue jeans and a torn white t-shirt. Her skin was extremely pale and she was shaking hysterically. She had long, straight, dark black hair which fell just below her shoulders. Her big light brown eyes looked straight at Yelan's eyes desperately.
 
“My baby…that man will take…my baby,” she was sobbing and struggling to get her words across, “…please…help…I…we…”
 
“Shh…it's alright,” Yelan comforted her, putting her arms around the woman's shoulders, “Come get cleaned up and I'll listen to your story.”
 
A few hours later, Yelan, her husband, and the strange woman with a sleeping baby in her arms were all sitting in the living room. The young woman's name was discovered to be Mitsuki Uzamaki. She had become pregnant by a man she loved, but that man wanted to get rid of the baby. Mitsuki refused to have an abortion, and since she was going through pregnancy, there were always people around her; she constantly made it so that she had company. It was difficult for the man to approach and do anything to her. However, now that she had the baby, she was worried for its life. Mr. Li sat listening to the whole conversation, utterly annoyed at his wife's kindness and disgusted of this girl's story. He didn't bother to hide his feelings, so he sat with a very unusual look on his face.
 
“I understand everything,” Yelan said with a soft voice, “You may stay here for as long as you like. My husband has many connections and can get you a place to stay and a steady job in no time.”
 
“Yelan!” roared Mr. Li, “You can't just jump to...”
“Now, now…” Yelan cut him off, “Please help me through this for now darling,” she said through gritted teeth.
“Just what do-”
“I apologize,” Yelan cut him off and spoke to Mitsuki, “Why don't I take you upstairs? You must be tired.”
 
As Yelan and Mitsuki walked up the stairs, Mr. Li cursed at himself and went back to his work.
 
“So Mitsuki,” Yelan said, “What's this youngster's name?”
“Kashima.”
“Ah, adorable; he's probably just about my Syaoran's age.”
 
Yelan continued to carry on a conversation with Mitsuki, even though she replied with short answers. Yelan finally left her to rest while she went to bed herself.
 
A week passed by and Mitsuki had started getting comfortable in the Li household. She was opening up slowly and trying hard to forget about Kamikalfred and all the terrible events that occurred there. In her mind, she knew that she'd have to leave this place soon; she couldn't impose on the Li's for too long. Her brain went nuts thinking about a job, safe home, and protection for her baby. She swam in her nightmare, yearning desperately to escape from it…
 
All of a sudden, she sat up and jerked her head frantically about. Her breathing was hard and sweat wet her face. She looked next to her to find her son sleeping soundly. With a small smile she sighed, mustering her courage for the day…like she did every morning. Pulling herself out of bed, she made her way to the bathroom to wash up and get ready for the day. The moment she turned on the faucet, a shrilling scream ran through her ears. She immediately turned off the water and dashed out of her room down the stairs to where the noise came from. What she saw then would forever haunt her - two maids were screaming and calling for help…and in the middle laid Yelan, with a pool of blood around her. Mitsuki froze and stood there staring like an idiot - a million thoughts ran through her head all at once. The thought that kept coming back was, `What will happen to me and my baby?'
 
In the next hour or so, Mitsuki was locked in her own room. Mr. Li had commanded her to stay inside the `damned room' until the police needed her for questioning. He seemed utterly angry, but there were no signs of tears or sadness in his expression or voice. Mitsuki brought her hands to her face, “That callous man probably killed his own wife!” she whispered, bursting into tears.
 
The whole day went by in a blur. When she was called down for questioning, she couldn't remember anything that was said after she was dismissed. She knew it would take a while to catch the murderer - maybe a year! The whole day passed by awkwardly for Mitsuki. The gossiping of all the maids and people around her went into one ear and out of the other. She decided to stay upstairs in her room majority of the time when the house was filled with townspeople she was unfamiliar with.
 
`Syaoran Li is probably down there', she thought, `being poured with sympathy by everyone. Why is he the one people worry for when my baby is locked up here?! Kashima is the one who is a target! A target that will be killed by that devilish man!' Her thoughts ran wild once again.
 
That night, Mitsuki was summoned to Mr. Li's office. Looking at his appearance, you would never guess that his wife had just been murdered!
 
“I want to get this over with as quickly as possible,” said Mr. Li, in a business sort of tone. “You need a place to stay, correct?” Mitsuki nodded in response. “Well then, I will allow you to remain as a caretaker for my son. The other maids don't seem to be able to handle him well. You have a son, so you know how to deal with a child.” Just like that, he dismissed her.
 
Mitsuki didn't know how to take the situation, but all that mattered was that her son had a safe place to stay. Syaoran's carriage was moved into her room, beside her son's carriage. That's how things went on for Mitsuki - her work was doubled. She had two babies to feed, change, play with, etc. Of course, her son was poured with love while the other one was treated indifferently. She was jealous; her son was always neglected by people while Syaoran received all the love and kisses! Even the pathetic maids in the household treated the two boys differently! Her anger grew day by day, but at the same time, her anxiety grew. Every night she'd have nightmares about her son being killed, taken away, or tortured by her former lover. One night, it got really bad. She constantly woke up every hour and couldn't take it anymore. She got up from bed and stood in front of her baby's carriage.
 
“You're not safe…even in this house. I know you're not safe…” she whispered, tears streaming down her cheeks. She glanced at Syaoran; he wouldn't be harmed. Everyone adored him, respected him - he'd grow up to have a wonderful life. All of a sudden, an idea ran through her head. If the babies were switched, then….No! That wouldn't work. She shook her head and mentally hit herself. Wait, that stupid old man wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway! He rarely saw the children and when he did, he sometimes called her son Syaoran without knowing. The only reason other people could tell the boys apart was because Syaoran wore a special silver necklace which his mother bought for him. She thought hard; if she carried out her plan and got caught, she would be doomed. However, if everything went well, her son and mind would live in happiness and peace. She made sure the door was locked and suddenly started to undress the boys. She switched their clothes and removed the necklace from Syaoran's neck to place it on Kashima's neck. Then she stepped back, examining the children. They were both awake now - Kashima was making little noises while Syaoran was crying. It was clear to her which baby was which, but no one else would be able to figure out, right? They both had brownish hair, even though the shades were slightly different. However, her son had black eyes while the other had brown eyes. After spinning the idea and consequences in her head for a while, she decided to carry out with the plan. After some practice, she'd be able to call her son `Syaoran' and Syaoran `Kashima'.
 
She jammed a pacifier in Syaoran's mouth and lifted her own son, rocking him back and forth and kissing him on the forehead. “Don't worry…You won't be in danger anymore,” she said, holding him tightly to her bosom, “You will be free…”