Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Return To Me ❯ Darkness ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Return to Me
 
Disclaimer: I doth not own Detective Conan. (DARN!!!!!)
 
Chapter 3 - Darkness
 
Ran stared out the window at her home. As usual, her father was at his desk, asleep do to the alcohol that he'd drank all afternoon. What made this day different was that her mother was also home, trying to help Ran. After Conan had been killed by the car, she'd slowly drifted away into depression, forgetting the joy of living.
Why should I even go on? Ran thought miserably to herself. Shinichi always has known when there was something this bad bothering me. He'd always call me to cheer me up. I haven't heard from him in over a month. WHY? Why isn't he calling? Has he moved on?
As her thoughts turned darker, she felt even more depressed. For the past couple of days, she'd been contemplating suicide and that was why her mother had returned to live with them. Even though Ran knew that ending her life might help end the pain, she also knew that it would cause a lot more pain for everyone else. Still, she thought, sometimes the pain just seems too much. I'm not for sure how much longer I can take it.
“RAN?” Ran heard her mother call her name from downstairs.
“Yeah, Okaasan?” she yelled back.
“Dinner is ready! Please come down.”
Great! Something she wasn't looking forward to: her mother's cooking. She wasn't just a bad, she didn't even recognize that she was a bad cook. She could burn anything. Somehow, her mother had found a way to even burn rice. Definitely something she didn't want to have right now.
Even though she didn't like her mother's cooking, she still headed down to be with the family and try to eat something edible. Hopefully, her father or one of her friends would come to the rescue. Though there was one thing strange. Usually when her mother cooked, Ran could smell the burning food all the way into her bedroom. She'd had no recollection of such a smell as she headed down the stairs. Maybe, her mother actually made a decent meal.
As she entered the kitchen, Ran saw her father sitting at the table, complaining loudly that he was hungry. Ran ignored him and sat down at the other end, away from all the joy and laughter of her mother. Ever since Conan had passed away, she'd wanted nothing to do with joy or laughter or even light. She, instead, wanted to be in darkness. It was easier than the pain of remembering how Conan used to be like.
“Ran? Is anything wrong?” Her mother interrupted Ran's thoughts.
“Is there anything that isn't wrong?” Ran shot back, not caring if she sounded unhappy or mean.
Her mother was clearly surprised. “What is it?”
“It just…” Ran couldn't finish what she was thinking. How do you tell your parent that you aren't for sure you want to go on living? That to live is like being in constant pain?
Eri somehow knew what her daughter was thinking. “Ran, please don't give up. It may not be easy, but if you give up now and surrender to the darkness, the pain will become unbearable.”
Kogoro huffed and looked at his daughter. “Don't you give up. I may not have been there for you when I should have before, but this time, don't let what I do be in vain.”
I still can't believe that the twerp had such an effect on her. After all, he wasn't even with us for a year and already she acts like she lost her only love. How did she become so attached to him? Kogoro didn't like to admit it, but Ran seemed more attached to Conan than she was to him.
Ran looked at her father. He seemed a little depressed also. Why had she been thinking only about herself? Conan wouldn't have wanted her to be like this.
“Otousan, Okaasan, please help me get over the pain. I can't stand it anymore.”
Ran's parents walked over to her, her mother giving her a hug while her father just stood to the side.
“Don't give up on yourself, Ran. Don't give up on yourself.”
AN: Well, I've finished the third chapter. Anyone who is wondering about my other story, “Afterlife”, I'm having a little of writers block. I hope to be able to get back to it soon, but I don't know when I'll finish it. Also, if anyone wants to, I do need a beta reader for this story. Please contact me if your interested. Thanks! REMEMBER TO REVIEW!