Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Last Time ❯ A Happy Ending ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT own Detective Conan; all characters belong to Gosho Aoyama.

Chapter 5: A Happy Ending

RRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Ran ran down the stairs, into her father's office, and grabbed the phone a second before its last ring.

"Hello, Mouri residence," she said.

"Hello Ran. I'm sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to say happy birthday" the voice on the line said.

"Kanta Shindo!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I scare you? I thought you'd know it would me," he chuckled. "You reacted just like my girlfriend when I called her on her birthday…you sound like her too."

"Oh, Shindo, I'm sorry. I was just…surprised, but wait, how did you know it was my birthday?"

"I have my ways…" he chuckled. "I was a big fan of your fiancé, Kudo Shinichi, so I was checking out his house the day you met me. I've seen every Sherlock Holmes movie and I have every case that Kudo-kun solved in a binder. It's so sad that such an honest man had to die."

Ran was speechless. Wow, Shindo is just like Shinichi, keeping a binder on all of his cases. Is Shindo…? Shinichi's reincarnation?

"Ran? I'm sorry; did I remind you of Kudo?" Shindo asked.

"It's alright. I'm just happy that I knew him. I will love him forever."

"Umm…" there was pause, "Ran? I know that I'll never replace Kudo-kun's spot in your heart, but is it okay if you…go out with me? I've had a crush on you since high school. You may not know it but I was in your every class. But it doesn't matter because you and Kudo ARE married…"

Ran smiled. "Sure."

"You sure Kudo-kun won't mind? I mean, he's your husband…"

"Don't worry. I bet Shinichi wouldn't mind. He wanted me to be happy and since he's not here to do that, you can help him."

"Then I'll come pick you up at 6 tomorrow night. See ya!"

Ran hung up the phone. Shinichi, you know I'll always love you the bestbut I need to continue my life, like you said. So, I

A voice replied to her in her mind. Ran, don't worry. You can't continue to mourn for me. Besides, your parents will be worried. Go have fun, Ran. Enjoy life, but remember. I'll always be in your heart, no matter where you are. The voice faded.

"Thanks, Shinichi. I love you." A smile found its way onto Ran lips as she went to change for school.

~in Osaka~

"Tomaya-san! Wait up!" a male voice called.

Surprised, Kazuha turned around. It was Hotaki Kotoia, a classmate from high school. He was smart, just like Heiji, but always looked up to Heiji as a role model.

"Hey Kotoia. What's up? It's such a coincidence that I'd meet you here. So, how are things going?" Kazuha tried to sound cheerful.

"Actually, it's not a coincidence…but never mind. Oh, Tomaya-san, don't cry." He reached out to wipe away a tear that had escaped from Kazuha's eye.

"It's okay, it's that you've always looked up to Heiji and now that I see you…I think of him." More tears fell from her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Tomaya-san. I'll leave then."

"No, no, it's okay." Kazuha wiped away her tears on her sweatshirt and smiled. "So did you want to tell me something?" She put on an annoyed look and asked, "Maybe you should tell me why you've been following me…"

"Ahh! You noticed?" Kotoia's face was as red as a tomato.

"After getting used to Heiji's observation skills, I guess I picked up on some." She smiled. "I was only joking."

"Well, umm…I have to tell you something. Could you come with me?" the boy's face turned redder as he pointed to the nearby coffee shop.

"Okay."

As the two young adults sat down, Kotoia said, "Kazuha, I love you."

Kazuha gasped. This was what Heiji had mailed her the second before he died.

"Please don't be upset. I just wanted…to tell you. I know I'll never replace Hattori-kun's place in your heart, but I really do love you. I just hope you can accept this fact. I'm not asking you to like me too, it's just-"

"It's alright, Kotoia. I understand." She smiled. "But you've got a lot of guts to be able to say that. Heiji couldn't even do it in person." Kazuha wiped her tears on her sleeve again before they could fall.

"I'm sorry, Kazuha. I didn't mean to make you cry…" the boy offered her a handkerchief.

"Don't worry, Kotoia. It's not you." She smiled again. "I bet you Heiji would understand and he would be happy, too, if I dated a nice guy like you."

Kotoia blushed and nodded. "Thanks, Tomaya-san."

"So, how about tomorrow?" Kazuha asked.

"Sure, I'll pick you up at 6 and we'll go somewhere for dinner." Kotoia got up to leave. Just as he reached the door, he turned and called, "Thanks, Kazuha."

~back to Tokyo~

"I really enjoyed that dinner, Shindo. Thanks for taking me."

"I love you, Ran. I know this surprises you since we've just met, but…it's like love at first sight." Shindo grinned. "Kudo Shinichi is a great guy. I've always admired his deducing and soccer skills."

"Shindo…"

"Don't worry, Ran. I'm telling you how I feel. You don't have to feel the same way I do." His expression grew serious and he held up the night's newspaper. "This news might make you a bit happier, hopefully."

"The newspaper?"

"It's about Kudo."

"It is?" Ran grabbed the newspaper from his hands.

"They say that the organization has been caught. Although the police were only able to get a hold of a few of them, they have evidence that will lead them to the rest. That organization won't stand much longer, and even if it does, it has been weakened so much that it really can't be such a threat anymore." Shindo put his arm on Ran's shoulder as she read. "Shinichi got his revenge. His friend, Hattori Heiji, did too."

"Shindo, this is wonderful." Ran hugged the boy. "Thanks."

Surprised, the boy froze. "Ran, I didn't do anything."

"Yeah you did. It says in the article that you investigated for evidence and gave what you found to the police. It's partly your credit."

"But I only used what Kudo found. He had a file in his father's library and I kind of snuck and found it. It's kind of illegal, but I was desperate to begin Kudo's murderers down…"

"It's alright. Shinichi snuck into houses too." She let go of Shindo. "That's what you do when you're desperate…" She smiled and kissed Shindo on the cheek. "You going to start dating me? Shinichi would be jealous that you got a kiss on our first date."

Shindo blushed. "Sure."

"Perfect. I'll call you tomorrow."

Shindo smiled and nodded. "I'll drive you home."

~a few weeks later~

"Hey, Kazuha! I haven't talked to you in a long time. How are things going over there?" Ran asked as Kazuha picked up the phone.

"It's okay. Heiji's parents are still kind of gloomy but they're getting over it. They're proud, though."

"Great! How about you?" Ran asked slowly.

"It's alright, Ran. I'm cool now. Heiji loved me and I loved him back. That's all we needed. He told me to get a life, so I'm listening to him now."

"Kazuha! He did NOT say that!"

"I know, I know, I'm joking. Anyways, this guy called Hotaki Kotoia confessed his feelings for me. He's a classmate from high school. He's a nice guy and we're going out now. Heiji would be happy that I'm not mourning all day for him."

"Yeah, I agree."

"So how about you?"

"Oh, well, this guy called Kanta Shindo, well, we kind of bumped into each other accidentally, but he's cool too. We're going out too."

"Oh, that guy who brought up evidence to capture some of those black men. I read the news. Hey, Ran. Did you ever figure out Kudo and Heiji's connection to those men?"

"Not really, but it doesn't matter. I mean, if it's something Shinichi wanted me to know, he probably would have told me, and since he didn't, I think he didn't want us to know. I don't really care. I just want those evil men behind bars, where they belong."

Kazuha smiled. "I agree."

"Okay, I'll talk to you soon. It's getting late and I have a midterm coming up," Ran said.

"Ditto. I call soon."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

~somewhere high above them, in the clouds~

"Well, this is where our story ends, isn't it, Hattori?"

"No, it's not ending, it's beginning, Kudo."

"Beginning?"

"Yes, beginning."

"How is it beginning? Hattori, you don't make sense."

"I make perfect sense!"

"No, you don't."

"Shut up, Kudo. You don't know anything about love."

"Hey, looks who talking. I'm not the one who's afraid to tell my girlfriend my feelings."

"I said shut up."

"Fine." He paused. "But I still don't get it."

"You'll never get it."

"Come on, tell me."

"Fine, neechan and Kazuha still love us don't they?"

"Yeah…"

"So we'll remain forever in their hearts, which is different from being alive, but they'll have someone else with them on earth."

"Oh."

"Are you getting rusty or what?"

"Hmph."

"They need some cases up here. It's kind of boring."

"I agree."

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

"Huh, what was that?" Heiji sat up.

"I think it was a scream."

"Someone was murdered! Help!!!!!" the detectives heard someone yell.

"Whoa…"

"Here we go again, Hattori. Let's go!"

The detectives ran off.

~the end~

It's kind of a lame ending so review so I can get better. Thanks to Starfruit_22 for reviewing. I hope everyone enjoyed it and thanks again for anyone who spent the time to read this. It makes me feel good. ^_-