Corpse Bride Fan Fiction ❯ Brother of the CORPSE BRIDE. ❯ The Truth about Victoria ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER EIGHT
 
 
I had reached my log cabin just in time; I looked in a mirror and saw that I had become a Corpse again.
 
I spit the red gum out of my mouth, and it was no longer red, it had gone all dark and tasteless.
 
This was one of the many side-effects Elder Gutknetch had told me about the magic gum.
 
* * *
 
“Every Wednesday starting at midnight, the gum will lose its power, and you won't be able to hide your Corpse body.”
 
“For the next twenty-four hours, the other gumballs will not be able to hide you, so do not chew any of them.”
 
“However, the one you were chewing before cannot be used again, so you should throw it away.”
 
* * *
 
It was all true. The red gum had served its purpose, so I threw it out. I did have six more balls, but would have to wait until midnight tomorrow.
 
In the mean time, I would have to stay hidden from the townsfolk, as not to let them see what I really am.
 
It was already close enough that if had I stayed with Victoria any longer, she would've known the truth.
 
I wasn't sure how she would've reacted towards me if she had known the truth in finding out that I'm a Corpse.
 
She was rather friendly to me in the park, and she wasn't like any other people I met in all of England.
I guess it was safe to say that I had at least made a friend in my time here on the surface world.
 
However, I still had to find the magic harp that I lost. Wherever it was I hoped it was okay.
 
I remember that Elder told me that if it was destroyed, my time would end at once and I'd return home down below.
 
I couldn't go back, not now, not yet. I had just made a new friend, and I did promise to meet up with her again on Thursday.
 
So I decided to leave my worries at that for now, and get some sleep, I had a long boring wait a head of me before I could step outside again
 
* * *
 
The next morning, I thought I heard someone call out my name, and taping my shoulder as for me to wake up.
 
I opened my eyes, and was I relieved, it was only Emily and Victor, and here I thought someone had caught me.
 
“How did you two get here?” I asked. “Elder Gutknetch.” said Emily, “He told us we could come and visit you for a while.”
 
“We thought that since you couldn't really go outside today, we thought we'd come up and keep you company.” said Victor.
 
I smiled at them, “And we also want to know, How's it going up here?” asked Emily.
 
“Well…” I said, “I have just made a new friend, and she wants me to teach her piano midnight tonight when I can go back outside.”
 
“Oh that's wonderful.” Said Victor, “Who is the lucky lady?”
 
“Her name is… Victoria Everglot.”
 
Victor suddenly looked as though his bones would explode, “V-V-Victoria Everglot?!” he stuttered.
 
“Victor, are you all right?” I asked, “He'll be fine, don't worry.” said Emily. “What's wrong with him?” I asked.
 
Emily didn't like it much when she had to either tell or here the story of how she and Victor started out…but…
 
“Victoria Everglot was Victor's betroth.” She said. My eyes popped out of their sockets, “His betroth?” I asked, and Emily nodded.
 
While Victor settled down a bit on the spare bed that I had in my cabin, Emily told me everything.
 
* * *
 
Victor and Victoria
 
They were due to be married, though they had never before met.
His parents were delighted, but hers were filled with regret.
 
But in a moment of panic, Victor desperately fled, and by a grave misunderstanding, Married the Corpse Bride instead.
 
She was frightening, but beautiful. All that she lacked was the beat of a pulse.
It's a tale of Charm, Romance, and Murder most foul, about a timid young man, and the love of his life.
 
* * *
 
Emily continued the story until about noon, and I began to understand everything.
 
That was how Victor ended up here. He chose to stay with my sister for he made a commitment to her.
 
Now he was dead too, meaning he was one of us.
 
* * *
 
Victor woke up at around 3:00pm and began telling that if I was really seeing Victoria, I ought to know a bit more about her.
 
“It's all right Victor, I know of all her problems already.” I said, “Now that you've told me more, it will be that much easier for me to talk with her.”
 
Still, Victor wasn't so sure. Since it would make him more comfortable, I allowed him to tell all he remembered.
 
* * *
 
It was about 11:00 pm before Victor finally stopped. His face even looked a little pale.
 
Then again, what was I thinking? Victor is also dead; therefore he's always pale, just like me and Emily.
 
Emily decided it was time for her and Victor to get back to the under-world. Their visiting hours were over in any case.
 
Emily practically had to drag Victor back to the tree where they popped out of that day.
 
Victor insisted he forgotten to tell me something. “Victor, the only thing you've shown me, is you need some rest.” I said.
 
I waved good-bye to my sister and to her husband as they vanished underground. They had gone.
 
* * *
 
I still had 30 more minutes until I had to meet with Victoria in the park, and so my magic gum would transform me again.
 
As I waited patiently for midnight to arrive I couldn't help but think about what Victor had told me.
 
Was it that important for me to know that much of Victoria's likings, or did he know something that I didn't know yet.
 
I just didn't know.
 
* * *
 
Big Ben had struck twelve. It was midnight at last, Wednesday was over and I had to meet Victoria.
 
But fist I had to fix myself up. So I popped the Orange-gum in my mouth, and in no time I was disguised again.
 
I headed out the door, out of the forest, and into the park where Victoria was just arriving as well.
 
“Well, well, well.” I said in a gentle voice, “What's a Lovely lady like you, doing out on a night like this?” I joked.
 
Victoria giggled, “I so glad to be learning by you Mykan.” She said, “Shall we get started?”
 
“Indeed we shall.” I said, “Now then, since this is our first lesson, I guess we shall start off with some scales.”
 
Victoria sat down at my piano, and began playing beautiful scales as a called them.
 
Her first lesson was very successful.