Corpse Bride Fan Fiction ❯ Brother of the CORPSE BRIDE. ❯ Trust and the Truth ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER TWELVE
 
 
The ball was almost over, and Victoria was now to choose a husband, by her parents ruling.
 
Of course I couldn't see who her parents were, on the count of all those people in my way.
 
Not that it mattered in any case, it was two minutes to midnight, and I should be going.
 
So, this was my final night where my magic gum would lose its power and I'd change back into a corpse.
 
I was about to tip-toe out, when suddenly I felt Victoria arm on mine. What was she doing?
 
Oh no… No it can't be?
 
“I choose you Mykan.” She said happily. “You shall be my husband.”
 
I felt like I was going to pass out. Victoria, my dearest friend, wants me to marry her?
 
I was about to answer Yes, when suddenly. “Him?” said a familiar voice, “Absolutely out-of the-question!” said another familiar voice.
 
The crowd parted away, and there stood those ungrateful people I had helped at the Dress maker's.
 
“Victoria, I for one, Forbid you to wed this man.” Snapped the woman, “This man made a fool out of your mother and I.” added the man.
 
“Mother…?” I asked, “You two are Victoria's parents?” They both looked at each other and then nodded.
 
“Now then young man, we had said our piece. So kindly step away from Victoria at once!”
 
I did not step away even an inch. I just stared at them right the eyes and said. “No, I won't do it, and you can't make me.”
 
Suddenly; Big-Ben was beginning to chime… ONE…TWO…THREE…!
 
This was very bad, I couldn't just leave Victoria, but if I stay here in 10 more seconds…Oh boy!!
 
FOUR…FIVE…SIX…!
 
Lady Everglot grabbed Victoria by the arm, and her husband grabbed me by my arms, trying to pries us apart.
 
SEVEN…EIGHT…NINE…!
“Let go of my daughter!” snapped the father. “No, you let go of me!” I snapped back”
 
TEN…ELEVEN…!!!
 
“You two are not going to be together!” snapped the mother. “No mother, let me go, LET ME GO!!!” cried Victoria.
 
“You heard her!” I yelled while trying to wrench myself from her father's grip.
 
“LET…ME…GO…RIGHT…NOW!!!”
 
TWELVE!!!!! ...My arm ripped off, and I was free. Everyone, especially Victoria looked as thought they had seen a murder.
 
It was midnight, my magic gum was rendered useless, and I changed right before their eyes.
 
My skin had gone all pale, and some of it vanished revealing my bones inside.
 
My tuxedo has ripped apart revealing my tattered black tunic, white gloves, and a tattered red and black cape.
 
The mother let go of Victoria, and began to back away from me, and the father dropped my arm, allowing me to retrieve it.
 
“Who are? What are you?” cried the mother. “He's some sort of freak, he is.” added the father.
 
Victoria, although she was frightened, approached me. “Mykan… What's happened to your body?” she asked.
 
I didn't respond, and I didn't have to. “It's perfectly obvious what it is.” said a familiar voice.
 
It was that doctor who gave me my physical on my first day. He was holding up my X-rays, which showed everyone the same result.
 
“Nobody alive can have the conditions you have.” Said the Doctor, “Which means…?”
 
Victoria understood at once. “M-M-Mykan…” she cried, “Are… you… could you possibly be?”
 
No more hiding it, it was time for me to come clean. “Yes, Victoria, it is true…”
 
“I am indeed… Dead”
 
Victoria gasped of fear, and then fainted into my cold arms. Then it got much worse.
 
Everyone started coming toward me, as if they were to grab me and banish me away, but I had to be brave for Victoria.
 
I picked her up over my shoulder, and carried her out to the carriages with me only to be chased by the mob.
 
* * *
 
The crowd split up to search for me and Victoria. Looking for two people in a line of a hundred coaches was like finding a needling in a hay-loaf.
 
Victoria and I had hidden inside her parents coach. I pressed my cold hand against her forehead, waking her up.
 
“M-Mykan?” she peeped. “Hush Victoria, they'll here us.” I said. Then I told her everything for why we were hiding.
 
I also told her why I had come to the Living-world, but I did not tell her the whole thing.
 
I did not tell her that I was searching for Romance.
 
As I told her everything else however, she began to understand. I was dead which would not only explain why I was so cold…
 
…but it also explained how I was able to withstand those gunshots at the robbery.
 
* * *
 
For 20 years now, I have been dead, but before that time I was the greatest dress maker in the world.
 
But my job proved to be more of a disappointment, than a pleasure, for all it did was make me feel bitterer by the second.
 
I worked so very hard and earned very little in return. On top of that, I had no family.
 
Except for my dear sister… Emily.
 
* * *
 
“Emily?” asked Victoria, “I'm not sure, but I believe I've met her before?” she said.
 
“As a matter of fact, you have indeed met my Twin-sister!” I said, “She is the one who is married to… Victor Van Dort!”
 
Victoria let of out a gasp of shock, “Victor… he's your Brother-in-law?” she asked.
 
I nodded my head, “Victor is another reason of how I play the piano so well. I taught him and he taught me!”
 
I also told her that I had only six days left to stay here on the surface world before going home.
 
However, it would be cut shorter unless I found a small Golden harp with jewels on it.
 
Victoria just remembered something. “Mykan,” she said while digging under the seat in the coach, and when she came back up, “Do mean this harp?” she said holding it up.
 
My eyes nearly popped of their sockets, “W-W-Where did you get this?” I asked as I took it from her.
 
“I took it from those bank robbers you saved me from.” She replied, “Why?”
 
“Victoria,” I said, “This harp is magical, we can escape with it.” Victoria looked confused.
 
She was about to ask me how it worked, when suddenly the coach door opened, and there were her parents and the mob.
 
“Step away from my Daughter, You filthy Corpse!” bellowed her father. “Either you do it now, or we shall call the police.” added her mother.
 
Victoria looked as though she was ready to give in, but I wasn't. I looked at her deep into the eyes and asked. “Do you trust me?”
 
“What?” she asked back. I held out my hand and repeated… “DO YOU TRUST ME?!”
 
Victoria looked at her unloving parents, and then looked at me with trust, “Yes, I do!” she cried.
 
She held only my bony hand, and I closed my eyes, held up the harp, and strummed the three special notes.
 
POOF!!!
 
We vanished…!
 
“What… where did they go?” shouted the father