Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ My Angel From Hell ❯ Session #06 - Ironic ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







My Angel From Hell

------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

"An old man turned ninety-eight,
He won the lottery and died the next day.
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic... don't you think?"

- Ironic, Alanis Morissette -

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------


"Heya, Heero," Spike greeted, walking into the room with a huge bowl of washed fruit for him and Heero to share. Inside were purple grapes, green grapes, red apples, green apples, yellow apples, peaches, apricots, mango's, banana's, kiwis, and square pieces of sliced cantaloupe, honey dew, and watermelon. He placed the bowl next to Heero's computer, in which ultimately he was on, typing a hundred miles a minute. Next to the computer on the other side was a chemistry holder, holding a test tube filled with a green substance inside. A wire was connected on the top, which was connected to the computer.

Without guessing, Spike knew that Heero was working on something that had to do with the substance. It was common sense. Curious, he walked over to the other side of the computer, bent down, and looked into the test tube, eyes blinking inquisitively.

"Don't touch it, Spike," Heero muttered, eyes glazing over the computer screen.

Spike however, didn't listen. Without thinking of the consequences, picked up the test tube from the holder and held it in the palm of his right hand. He blinked again as he held it between his index finger and thumb, looked at the green substance inside, and said outloud, "I wonder what this thing is."

Heero turned from the computer screen, and noticed that the tube was gone. He quickly turned off the computer, turned his seat around and saw it in Spike's hands. Screaming on top of his lungs with is eyes popping out of their sockets, he demanded, "Give me back that vial!"

Again, Spike didn't listen as he shook the vial, looking at the bubbles forming inside. Intrigued, he whispered, "I wonder what it tastes like."

"WHAT IT TASTES LIKE?!" Heero screamed as loud as he could, horrified entirely.

Not even noticing Heero's scream of terror, Spike put the vile in his mouth and tried to pry the cap on it open. However, to no avail. Therefore, Spike did the next thing that registered in his mind. He got the vile and slammed it repeatedly on the edge of the desk. When that didn't work, Spike did the next thing that he had in mind. He took out his gun, and shot the damn thing.

Once the vile shattered, the green substance fell to the ground and soaked into the carpet, leaving behind a black stain that seemed to gurgle bubbles. Shrugging, Spike said, "Oh well, probably tasted like shit anyways. What do you think Heero?"

As he looked towards Heero, he saw the most horrified look on his face. Much worse than the time he said that Heero should get some lingerie from Victoria Secret and he would look fantastic in a pink or blue girdle and corset. He was clenching his heart and breathing heavily, as if he was trying to avoid a heartattack or a stroke. Maybe even both. Spike raised an eyebrow at Heero, wondering what he did that made him so afraid.

Heero then regained his composure, walked up to Spike, and yelled to his face, "That contained the DNA of a deathly virus! If I wouldn't have decontaminated the room beforehand, we'd all be dead!"

"But I'm already dead," Spike corrected.

Heero rolled his eyes as he continued, "That's not the point! The point is this Spike: don't ever do that to me AGAIN!"

"Do what?" Spike said with a smile.

Groaning in disgust, Heero grabbed his dark gray trenchcoat (Spike insisted that he should get a trenchcoat like his, he might freeze outside in the cold) while saying, "I'm going out for a walk. I need some air."

"And time away from me?" Spike added for Heero, grinning innocently with mirth in his voice.

Before he left, he turned around and yelled on top of his lungs, "YES!" Then he slammed the door behind him. Spike cringed when he heard it slam, closing one of his eyes and tensing his body entirely. After he heard Heero walking up the stairs of the basement to the upstairs of the first floor, he heard the second door slam once again. Sighing, he fell backwards onto the bed. He threw his coat and tie to the floor and unbuttoned his shirt somewhat. Closing his eyes, he took out a cigarette and his oil lighter, taking a whiff of the smoke, trying to ease his nerves.

Opening his eyes, Spike whispered, "Some guardian angel I am. I'm pissing off Heero more than befriending the guy."

"But that's who you are, Spike Spiegel," whispered a voice so tender, smooth, and seductive.

Groaning while closing his eyes again, Spike whispered back, "Go away."

"Aww, and I thought you would be happy to see me again," said the voice, mocking a hurt tone within her response. Out of the darkness of the room came a figure of a woman clad in a cloak colored a satanic, desirable red. Her eyes were covered, but her pale skin and full pouting red lips were though. Her hands were slender and petite to match her height, and her walk was full of elegance and grace. Sex and candy were two words to sum up this figure walking towards the martial artist angel. Slowly she unhooded her cloak, revealing her wavy, silky, and enchanting chocolate brown hair and vivid, mesmerizing, and haunting electric green eyes. Her facial features were soft on the edges with high cheek bones, pale powder like skin, and whips of curls inside her eyebrows and lashes. Her dangling emerald tear-drop earrings framed her face into something that made this woman define the word sexy in any way possible.

Spike, however, ignored this Victorian beauty, saying, "Get the fuck out of here, Astaroth."

Astaroth only smiled sweetly to his remark, crawling onto the bed that he was laying on. She traced her right hand from his waist to his chest, trying to arouse him in anyone way she could. After all, doing this to men and women alike was she was best at. Tracing the edges of his face, Astaroth kept on trying to catch his attention, or even for him to look at her. However, nothing would work. Nothing would phase the man she desired. And anything Astaroth desired would be her's, whether the person she wanted liked it or not. And usually, they liked it.

"Look at me, Spike," she purred in a demanding voice, a snarl curling up her lips.

"No," he sneered back, not an emotion on his face registering to her.

Irritated, Astaroth smacked his face, while grabbing his hair in both her hands, forcing his face to meet in front of her own, locking her eyes onto his closed ones. Yelling on top of her voice, starting to lose the smooth, calm tone and changing into a ferocious, vile one, "Look at me!"

Slowly, he opened his eyes, looking dead straight into Idumea's own. A set of seductive, commanding sparkling green eyes of Astaroth fixed onto a set of nonchalant, unemotional mismatched brown eyes of Spike Spiegel. Astaroth smiled triumphantly, letting lose her right hand to caress Spike's face with her unimaginable soft touch.

Lifting his chin with her right hand, she whispered, "Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Narrowing his eyes, he demanded, "What the fuck do you want, Astaroth?"

"Nothing much," she answered, leaning closer to his face, her grip on his hair still tight. Their noses touched as she whispered seductively, "I only wanted to see you again, Spike."

"I said, what the fuck do you want, Astaroth," Spike said again, with a monotone voice like Heero's.

Smiling once again, she said, "Oh Spike, I heard you were made guardian angel. I knew this was the perfect time to see you again. I missed you so much."

"Yeah, so you can use me again," he spat at her, his voice dripping with distain.

Astaroth giggled, caressing her cheek next to his as she whispered into his ear, "That was just one time, Spike. Only to fulfill a small, insignificant mission. This time I'm not sent by Lucifer. I'm only here for one thing -- you."

Spike, however, wasn't phased one bit as he sneered, "And you're here to kill Heero and make my reputation in Heaven worse than what it already is."

Giving a mock gasp and shock, she said, "Oh I would never do that to you, Spike. Never ever." She moved in closer as she was about to brush his lips, "Now, how about a kiss, little guardian angel..."

"Astaroth!" someone shouted behind her. Shocked, Astaroth loosened her grip on Spike and jumped off him, standing up on the ground. Like Astaroth, someone else emerged from the shadows of darkness from the room. She wore a cloak similar to the one Astaroth was wearing, except that the cloak of the one that just emerged was colored pitch black, the edges of the cloak with rips on it. The figure unhooded herself, making Astaroth sneer in anger.

"Chaldea," Astaroth muttered entirely in shock underneath her breath. Narrowing her eyes she added with distain, "Fallen Angel #08, Maiden of Larceny."

Her flaring orange hair was up in a tight ponytail, held by a green scrunchy. Vibrant, ice cold mauve eyes stared straight through Astaroth's own, her face more chiseled and hard then Astaroth's soft edges and features, narrowed in dominancy. She responded to Astaroth with a malicious, unforgivening tone in her French accented voice, "Astaroth, Fallen Angel #09, Maiden of Lust. I've come to inform you that Master Lucifer has a mission for you to accomplish. He demands audience immediately."

Sneering, Astaroth growled, "I know that's not true."

With a smirk defiantly on her face, she challenged, "Do you want to try me, little sister?"

Knowing that she was beaten, Astaroth snarled, throwing back her hood over her head, and whispering to herself that she will meet Spike again. Once she faded into the darkness, Chaldea removed the smirk on her face with a smile. She looked over to Spike, who was now sitting up on the bed, looking at her, with a trademark cigarette on the tips of his lips. Chuckling silently, Chaldea seemed to float over to the bed and sat on the edge opposite Spike.

"Bonjour Spike," Chaldea greeted. "I congratulate you on becoming a guardian angel."

Smiling faintly, Spike replied, "Yeah, well, I don't think of it has a huge honor."

Chaldea's look hardened as she said, "But you were bestowed the privilege to watch over another life, to protect it from harm and darkness, those that are of Lucifer--"

"Then why are you here?" Spike asked, no emotions in his voice, cutting off Chaldea.

She calmly answered, though somewhat hurt, "Because your companion is not present. With him temporarily on leave, I could talk to you. I missed our conversations, Spike. You always came up with such eloquent things to discuss about."

Spike sighed, "That was before Chaldea. I said I wouldn't trust any of you ever again. I learned first hand what Michael meant about the Fallen Angels."

"Even if one of them defended you the entire time," she asked, turning her head away from Spike towards the wall in front of her, her eyes drifting away to a time that passed. Spike frowned, taking his cigarette, bending backwards onto the bed and placing it onto the ash tray Heero got for him on the bedpost. He sat up again, sighing deeply.

"Chaldea," Spike began, closing his eyes as he remembered what happened to him and the Fallen Angels incident. "I know you were on my side the entire time. But the others, all whom I thought were as, you know, generous as you... betrayed me. Astaroth the most."

"That is who Astaroth is," Chaldea monotonely explained, adding to her comment, "she is the Maiden of Lust. She takes what she desires, no matter what."

Clenching his fists, Spike remembered exactly what Astaroth did, gritting his teeth at the memories flooding into his head. "I'll never forgive myself," he sneered, cursing himself in the process. A tear started to form on the side of his right eye, Spike trying his best not to let it go. Whispering with the utter most hatred to himself, "I'll never forgive myself for arguing with Julia that day..."

A soft hand gently placed itself over Spike's left fist, clasping it tenderly. Spike opened his eyes, lustrous with fresh tears hiding inside as he look deeply into Chaldea's considerate mauve eyes, filled with wisdom and childish mischief. She smiled warmly, a shocking emotion coming from the Princess of Thieves. She removed her hand from his fist to his cheek, neither caressing or moving it. Only there to hold, as if telling Spike that she would always be there for him.

"I know you'll never forgive yourself, Spike," she whispered, looking at the childish innocence on Spike's face, something that she wished she could call her own. Removing her hand, Chaldea added, "And you know that I love you Spike."

Spike turned away from her gaze, saying, "I am only for Julia."

"Yes, I know that Spike," Chaldea answered, disappointment in her voice. Suddenly, a door from upstairs was heard. Spike knew that Heero had just come home. Fear entered his body, knowing what he would have to do to Chaldea if she kept on staying here long enough. Although he didn't love her, Chaldea was like a sister to him, and he would rather die again than to fight her as the manual said if any one of the Fallen Angels was even near his companion.

Before Spike could even tell Chaldea, she was already placing the hood over her head once again. "I'm one step ahead of you, Spike," she whispered, placing her index and middle fingers of her right hand on her lips and slowly blew a kiss to him. Spike looked at the door, which was starting to open.

"Get out now, Chaldea," Spike commanded, a look of terror in his eyes.

"Maybe one of these days I can meet this companion of yours. Until then," she whispered with a smile on her face, fading into the darkness of the shadows in which she came. "Au revior, mon amie."

By the time the door opened, Chaldea was gone from Spike's sights. Heero then entered the room, noticing Spike on the bed with is ruffled up hair, which was more puffier than usual, his shirt was wrinkled, and his eyes were directed towards the right side of the wall. He hanged up his trenchcoat, which was soaked from the rain outside. Walking over towards Spike, he sat on the bed and looked directly at him. Spike wasn't even looking at him, he was off in another world.

Worried, Heero whispered, "Spike? You alright?"

It took a while, but after Spike blinked, he whispered, "Yeah... just super."

"I know your not, I've been with you too long," Heero whispered, narrowing his eyes. Spike closed his eyes, sighing deeply. I think I've been sighing too much lately, Spike commented to himself, holding his head on his hands.

"Yeah, I know you have, Heero," Spike replied, sighing once again.

"Then what's wrong?" Heero asked, raising an eyebrow. Hearing that, Spike sat up straight this time, looking at the wall ahead of him, preparing to tell Heero the incident that happened to him in Heaven. Heero lifted his legs and sat Indian style, holding his knees and wondering what Spike was going to say next. He took a guess that something must have happened to him while he was gone walking and releasing his anger inside.

"Kid, I think it's high time you learn the past of ol' Spike Spiegel," he started, Heero nodding his head in approval. Pausing for a second, Spike continued, "From what I know of, centuries ago before the colonies were even made and the Second Gate Incident happened which destroyed all life on Mars, Jupiter, Venus, and created back the Moon and Earth, there was a time of three types of people: the law men, the criminals, and the bounty hunters. You were either good, bad, or neutral. For the worlds of the "good" guys and the "bad" guys, it was simple. They sticked with their own kind. The bounty hunters... well... it was mixed up. Like some bad dream. The good and bad was mixed, there was no side. It was just for all those guys to catch the bounties and live. That's that."

"Yeah, it was the 2000 millennium. I remember reading about it," Heero informed, knowing exactly what Spike was talking about.

Smiling, Spike asked, "Then do you know about the Red Dragons Syndicate back on Mars?"

Nodding his head, Heero said, "Yes, they were extremely notorious throughout Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and even Earth. That is, until someone completely destroyed the entire syndicate, the new leader, and himself in the process."

Chuckling silently, Spike answered, "That guy was me, Heero."

With a look like he was asked to swallow the heart of a baby, Heero shouted, "Your the one that destroyed the Red Dragons Syndicate?!"

Spike nodded his head, turning his smirk to a frown, as he said, "I'm not very proud of it though. I did that because I had nothing left to live for. I needed the dream to end."

"You said that before," Heero said, "but not exactly. What do you mean?"

Sighing, Spike told his story, "I was an orphan long ago, with no past, no mother or father. I roamed the streets my entire life on Mars, becoming a notorious pickpocket in order to survive. Later on when I was ten, the leader of the syndicate Mao Yenrai captured me when I tried to pickpocket him. Seeing something inside of me, he took me in as his "son" so to say. It was in the syndicate I created my own name, Spike Spiegel. Spike because when I was young, my hair was "spikey" instead of puffy like an afro. Heh. And Spiegel because of what it meant. Spiegel was German for "mirror." I took a liking to my last name, because of how it sounded with my first name, and the meaning itself. What I didn't know was that fate would play with me and my last name after I died. Because the dream that I lived was a mirror of the reality that I yurned for."

Taking in a big breath, he continued, "Well, as I grew, I become one of the greatest shooters throughout the syndicate. I knew how to work a gun perfectly. My shots were always exactly in the middle, on target, never messing up once. Later on I become one of the greatest martial artists of the syndicate, mostly because after idolizing Bruce Lee for so long. It was a good life, did my jobs, missions, whatever. But then I made the worst mistake in my life."

"And that was?" Heero asked.

"I took in a guy named Vicious," whispered Spike, utter disappointment in his voice. He continued, "He just reminded me of me. No identity, no past, no family, just lost, like how I was. So I took him in and taught him everything I knew. We became best friends, brothers in arms. Until, that is, Vicious met a girl name Julia." He sighed as he smiled, "Julia, eyes of a fallen angel, smile of a tragedy, a space lion. She was, still is, the love of my life." His smile faded into a frown as he added to it, "And the factor that destroyed Vicious and mine brotherhood relationship."

"Sounds like Romeo and Juliet," Heero inquired, smirking a bit.

"Yeah, I know," Spike muttered, continuing his story. "Well, Vicious told me to stay away from Julia, and I did. Until one night when I was injured completely, Julia took me in. That night something happened, as if Julia and me just clicked. Something was turned on in the two of us. We knew right then and there we loved each other. Vicious, however, found out about our happiness, and we became bitter enemies. I decided to leave the syndicate, but as everyone knows, no one leaves the mafia without dying. Thus, I thought about me and Julia living together, leaving everything behind. We were, until Vicious found out. Julia was scared for me, so she left without meeting at the place were I told her to meet me in order to leave this place forever. Knowing that she wasn't coming, I left that place behind me, and ultimately sealed my fate -- I faked my own death."

"And you just left until you were strong enough to come back and destroy all of them, right?" Heero asked, completely interested in Spike's history.

Spike smirked as he said, "Not quite. Actually, three years later I met up with a guy named Jet Black. He was the owner of a fishing ship named 'Bebop.' I became his partner, and I officially became a bounty hunter. Later on we acquired a data Welsh Corgi dog named Einstein, Ein for short, a sly, voluptuous and crafty vixen named Faye Valentine, and a completely crazy yet skilled hacker named Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV. We just called her Edward or Ed. She was a crazy fourteen year old, but that's who she was. Ed was Ed."

"Some hacker," Heero commented.

"Yeah," Spike whispered, smirking entirely. "So we took on and either captured or lost bounty heads, I sometimes ran into my past, and in the end, Julia came back. We were going to run off together like I had planned, until she was shot and died in my arms."

A long silence followed Spike's comment until Heero said, "What a piece of shit."

Smirking still, Spike said, "Exactly what I thought after she died. Not at her, but at the entire situation. I had been living in a dream so long, so goddamn long, I needed to end it. And the only person who could do it for me was my former best friend mortal enemy, and the new leader of the corrupted Red Dragon's syndicate -- Vicious. I think you know the rest of the story, Heero."

"Yeah," Heero solemnly said. He sighed as he said, "I guess you want to know my history too, huh Spike? Or did the papers say it already?"

"The latter, kid," Spike said, now looking at Heero dead in the eyes. "A kid without an identity who became a Gundam Pilot, saved the world, and is then deemed unneeded. Your past is way too similar to my own. Isn't it ironic... don't you think?"

Heero smirked as he semi-sang, "A little too ironic... and yeah, I really do think."

"It's like rain on your wedding day!" Spike sang, the song stuck in his head.

"It's like a free ride when you've already paid!" Heero sang along, an emotion he hadn't felt crawling up his lips. He couldn't believe it. It was a genuine, one of a kind smile. Too bad Duo can't see it, Heero thought, he would have a heart attack by now.

"It's the good advice that you just didn't take!" Spike sang, bobbing his head to the tune in his head.

"And who would've thought? It figures!" Heero sang, ending the chorus for the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette. It was then that something rose from his throat and exited out. And it actually felt good. It was something he hadn't felt in a while. Heero Yuy was actually laughing. Spike paused for a moment, noticing the ice encased around the Perfect Soldier starting to crack, as he too joined into the laughter.

"Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you," Spike said, lighting up another cigarette, singing the ending lyrics, a gigantic smile on his face.

"And life has a funny, funny way of helping you out," Heero muttered, singing as well to the tune in his head. He yawned as he kicked off his shoes and slammed backwards onto the bed, snatching the covers and falling to sleep quickly. Spike smirked at Heero, knowing that even though the Fallen Angels are out there, he wouldn't let anything happen to his little companion. Spike took of his shoes, and sat on Heero's chair, slowly drifting to sleep himself.

I was going to tell him the incident in Heaven, Spike thought, but I think that can be saved for later on.

And before he drifted to sleep, Spike sang with the most ironic smile on his face, "Helping you out..."


WELL ISN'T THIS NICE...