Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi Trail: Shin Heart ❯ Vol. One, Chapter Two: Virus ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Virus
Spike sat near the window watching his girlfriend in her illness. Sakura sat up in bed trembling. This was a new virus that the supernatural was coming with. There was no name or cure for it. It all started with chills. Sakura usually very healthy for a tenshi-chi. So when she said that she felt very cold in the warm autumn, the cowboy knew that something was dead wrong! It all started with a phone call. Spike was on the Bebop when it came. The conversation was pretty much like this:
“Hello?” Spike asked.
“Sakura has the virus!” Shoji pleaded out. The cowboy's grew big in shock.
“What?!?” he yelled out in the phone.
“She's been cold all day,” the doctor went on. “We've got her in blankets and hot towels. We think she has the virus!” The cowboy was too shocked to believe it at first. Anger came over him in a sluggish rush.
“This better not be a joke, Shoji!” he yelled out over the phone.
“I'm not joking, Spike!” the doctor said. “Come and get her! She really needs you!” Spike nodded in strong determination.
“I'll be right there!” he said aloud. Then he hung up the phone, grabbed his jacket, and headed right out the door.
The cowboy found Sakura sitting in the lobby waiting for him. The thick blanket seemed to eat up her tiny body. Her face looked really pale like a geisha's. The nurse looked as if she would faint at any moment. When she was about to, Spike rushed forward and held her up. The tenshi-chi lightly turned her head to him.
“Spike…” she said in a weak voice. The cowboy looked around desperation. Two young candy stripers were walking by. They paused and looked at the couple. Spike turned to them immediately.
“You, two!” he yelled out. “Help! Don't just stand there!” The girls nodded and got to work. It was an effort to deal with the nurse, but it was worth it in the end. They all managed to have Sakura all wrapped up tightly. The cowboy went to find Dr. Himura. Shoji was coming out with herbs for the nurse.
“Oh good!” the doc said. “You're here just in time, Spike!” The cowboy rose to his feet. He rushed over to the doc. The cowboy grabbed the doc by the coat violently.
“How the hell did this happened?!?” Spike asked in anger. “How the hell did this happen?!?” Shoji tried to get him off of him.
“I don't know!” he wailed out. “She was fine one moment, and then the next she kept saying she was cold! It was just as strange as the other thirteen cases that we had this week.” Spike slowly set the doc loose.
“How could you let this happen?” he barked. The doctor shrugged again.
“Doctor!” a voice called out. Both men quickly looked up. A nurse was forward towards them. Her chest moved up and down while she panted. Dr. Himura looked at her in curiosity.
“What is it?” he asked. The nurse got her breath back and stood up straight.
“I have found how the virus is spreading!” she yelped out. Both men's eyes grew big in a flash.
“Well, how?” Spike asked aloud. The nurse stood straighter.
“It's air borne!” she called out. “The virus is coming from a broken pipe in the sewer. Workers are trying their best to repair it now!” Spike kept his eyes on her.
“How did the damn pipe break?” he asked aloud. The nurse shrugged.
“Bacteria eating away at the mental, I guess.” she said. That wasn't good enough for the cowboy.
“You guess?” he roared. The nurse nodded.
“Let her go Spike,” he said. “They are working on the problem now.” The cowboy calmed himself down.
“How bad is she?” he asked. The doc and nurse looked close at her.
“It seems to only be in stage one,” Shoji replied. The cowboy waited for more. The nurse looked at the doc as if to say it was okay to keep on.
“The chills are present in her,” the doc went on. “It'll take days for the virus to fully manifest. So she should be fine.”
“What should I do for the time being?” Spike asked her.
“Just kind her wrapped in heavy blankets,” Shoji told her. “Quarantine her from the other mystics and keep a close watch!”
“Right!” Spike said with a nod. He walked over to his girlfriend. The pale chill was winning fast. “We'll get you better no matter what, you got me?” The tenshi-chi couldn't really respond to him at all. Spike just lightly kissed her on the forehead. Shoji, the nurse, and candy stripers kept watching.
“Need some help?” the nurse asked. The cowboy looked up at them.
“That would be nice!” he said. They all crowded around Sakura and helped picked her up. Usually, the tenshi-chi was pretty light to pick up. But today the blankets were weighting her done. It was a nightmare to get her into Swordfish. But it was important for her life. The hospital saw the couple off for their sake.
When they got back to the Bebop, Spike closed Sakura off in his room. (They were lucky the others weren't home yet.) He sat her on his bed and watched her. Hours had passed now. The tenshi-chi was just trembling more. She looked as if she would throw up at any second. The coughing was coming in rough and hard. Spike kept watching her worry. He was running out of heat packs to give her. The cowboy stepped forward and began lightly rubbing her back. The coughing began to subside. Her breathing slowly returned. Spike slowly relaxed.
“Hang in there,” he murmured to her. “We'll get you something. I won't let you die.” This was like this the whole evening. Sakura kept coughing and trembling the entire time. Spike kept rubbing her and wrapping her tighter in the blankets and towels. At nightfall, he managed to her calm again. Spike was able to sit back, fall asleep, and dream. There, the answer came to her.
*Dream Begins*
Spike was sitting in a church looking up at a huge cross. He looked around for a moment. “Where am I?” he thought. “Why am I here?” Then a weak light cast upon the sterling white cross ahead. The cowboy quickly looked up.
“Spike,” a voice called out to him. The cowboy searched for it. His eyes led him back up to the front altar. Kaze-san was sitting before him. Spike felt a little ease.
“Kaze-san,” he greeted her. “Didn't expect to see you here!” The ghost angel held up her hand in importance.
“I need to talk to you!” she said quickly. Spike waited for her to carry on.
“Okay,” he said. “Spill it!” Kaze-san leaned in close to him.
“I know Sakura has the virus,” she said. “And I know how to cure it.” The cowboy looked at her quickly.
“Tell me how!” he said quickly. The ghost angel smiled at him sweetly. She leaned in close to his ear.
“You have to sleep with her again.” Kaze-San replied. Spike seemed a little excited at that solution.
“Are you serious?” he asked to see if she was joking or not. The ghost angel turned to him smiling.
“Spike,” she replied. “I wouldn't lie to you at all.” The cowboy kept his gaze on her.
“So all I have to do is sleep with her and she'll be fine?” he asked. The ghost angel nodded. Spike considered this for a moment. He put up his hands.
“Okay,” he said. “Wouldn't hurt to try!” Kaze-San smiled at him.
“Take good care of my daughter!” she said before fading away into the space. Spike sat down in the front pew smiling.
“I sure will,” he said. “I sure will!”
*End of Dream*
Spike woke up quickly. Sakura was awake and trembling in sickness again. Right then, the cowboy knew what to do! He hurried over to the bed and sat down in front of his girlfriend. He lightly kissed her on the lips. Sakura weakly kissed him back. Spike lightly pushed her back. He began tearing at her blankets and towels. The cowboy yanked off all of his clothes and let himself have her. The tenshi-chi was trembling all over because of the fever and the love. The cowboy went gentle with her this time. He made sure that he held onto the entire time. The tenshi-chi was cold and hot at the same time. He was so good with this. Ever since the first time they made love, Sakura seemed a little older and much stronger emotionally. Spike seemed to be opening her eyes with his love. At that moment, Sakura decided to stay close to him forever and always.
In the end, the tenshi-chi lie cuddled up close in his arms. Her fever had gone done tremendously. Her head lay neatly upon his chest. Spike was lightly running his fingers through on soft pink hair. The tenshi-chi looked up at him like a little child.
“I feel better now!” she whispered happily to him. The cowboy just smiled to himself.
“That's good,” he mumbled to her as he was drifting off to sleep. “That's good!” That was another battle won. Only a million more to go with this couple. But Spike didn't care. He knew he could win. This was his duty to protect his girlfriend after all.
Fight On Cowboy