Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ ChapterThirty-One ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-One

Arriving in the emperor's private study, Inuyasha kept a firm grip on Kagome. He hadn't let go of her hand the entire way through the halls and his gold eyes had glared at those they had passed. Looking around the room, he noticed the piles of kittens in various corners, adult cats sleeping in other chairs, and the stacks of books and maps. It was well-lit, the soft glow of oil lamps illuminating the room.

On an easel rested a large map of what appeared to be the place they currently found themselves. It was colorful, cities marked with pictures of buildings and forests painted in green. It looked ornate and Inuyasha felt mildly curious about it, if only briefly. It was, after all, a map of where they were.

Kagome hissed in his ear, drawing her attention back to her, “You can let go of my hand, you know. You're crushing it.”

“Feh.”

Inuyasha slid his hand out of hers only to put his arm around Kagome's waist. She leaned her head onto his shoulder, sighing. Her arm slid around him as well as they walked across the room looking for an open seat. Between everyone needing a seat and the cats lounging around the room seats seemed sparse.

Sesshomaru sat in one of the plush chairs, Rin resting in his lap. She smiled at them. “Come sit by us, Inuyasha-sama and Kagome-sama.” She played with a small, black kitten in her lap.

Kagome smiled towards the child, nodding. “Alright. We will.”

Inuyasha grunted as he felt her elbow him. They took an open seat by his brother and the little girl. It was a large enough chair that both could sit in it without being squished together. That didn't stop Inuyasha from pulling her close to himself, sniffing her hair.

Zakath cleared his throat. He said, “I see we're all here now. We can start.”

Brador stood up, stating, “Well, your Majesty, as you know we've been hearing reports from the north that demons have taken over the area, in particular Cthol Mishrak. They haven't pursued to the south too much as of yet, but it will only be a matter of time.”

Zakath nodded. “Yes. I have heard that. Have you had any reports of them traveling any further south than the Forbidden Area?”

“Yes, a few have been reported slightly south of it. It seems they only come down to raid small villages and then return to the north, however.” Brador fought with a kitten to pick up a pointer. The kitten struggled against him, wrapping its large paws around it. The small gray kitten rabbit punched the pointer and chewed on the end. When he finally got it away from the ferocious attack, Brador pointed on the map to the area he had mentioned. “We've also begun hearing a name of who might be bringing Karanda and their demons to the area. Have you heard the name Naraku before?”

Belgarath nodded. “Our special guests have been encountering him often in the past, from what I understand.”

“Well, then you know he's been elected their formal leader for all intents and purposes. He's basically set up shop in Cthol Mishrak and makes the decisions from there. No one knows where he came from, either. What I can say is he's been described as an odd looking fellow.” Brador fought the rambunctious kitten back with the pointer, only to have it grasp it in its front paws.

Zakath sighed. “I was afraid Karanda would see him as some sort of savior from Malloreon control. How long before they set out to invade the rest of Ancient Mallorea?”

“We're not sure. They marched into Cthol Mishrak and took the place over but we haven't really seen much activity since. It's as if they're waiting for something.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. He felt frustrated talking about Naraku. He wanted to do something about it instead. He snorted. “Feh.” A kitten climbed up his hakama and he reached down, picking it up to look into its face. His ears flattened to his skull as the kitten's followed suit. He heard laughter in his ear and Kagome took it from his grasp, hugging it.

Miroku spoke up, “If I might ask, what exactly is the Forbidden Area?”

“It's an area around the City of Endless Night that is controlled by the Hounds. Essentially any who enter trespass on their ground. Grolims revere it as holy.” Zakath's nose wrinkled. “You'd think with their powerful sense of smell they'd hate the stench of rust and stagnant water, but they defend it with everything they have.” He pointed with a finger an area in the north by the coast. The Forbidden Area was marked clearly in red underneath the name of the lone city represented by Cthol Mishrak

“I see.” Miroku looked contemplative.

Brador said, “Now that you've returned from the Vale, may I suggest something, your Majesty?” He tapped the pointer onto his elbow, the gray kitten lunging after it from the top of the desk, only to land in a heap on the floor. It shook its head, scurrying across the room.

“Certainly, Brador. What is it?” The emperor looked tired as he rubbed his eyes with his fingers.

“Now that you have King Belgarion's support here, might you ask for an army and march on Cthol Mishrak?”

Garion shook his head. “We're talking demons here. They'll just devour the army and we'll lose a lot of men needlessly. We're going to have to do this differently than battle tactics.”

Belgarath cleared his throat. “Brador, I think you should be filled in on who our special guests exactly are.”

Brador's portly face became confused. He asked, “What do you mean?”

Belgarath said, “Look at them again, Brador. Do you see anything odd?”

Brador blinked as he looked at the pair. Inuyasha flattened his ears again, disliking the scrutiny in his appearance. Brador choked out, “Surely you're not saying that one has dog ears and that they both have claws and fangs?”

“That's what I'm saying precisely. Inuyasha is a half-demon and Sesshomaru a Demon Lord.” His blue eyes became stern as he looked over Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. “Speaking of you two, I do hope you are done playing for one night. You both nearly frightened the servants into quitting their jobs.”

Inuyasha glared at the sorcerer. “Feh. What was done had to be done. Leave it at that.” He pulled Kagome close to himself again. She rested her head onto his shoulder, her arm wrapping around his stomach. He saw that Sesshomaru's expression reflected much of the same sentiment.

“Regardless, you did make quite the disturbance.” Belgarath looked over towards Zakath. “What else is going on in the palace itself?”

Silk cleared his throat. “I believe this is my department. Miroku and I overheard a couple of spies who were working with our dearly departed friend Zelleth. They seemed very interested in what ever is in Kagome's little bottle. They said something about a red eyed man hiring them to do the job.”

Inuyasha's ears raised to full alert. “He's dead? But I didn't kill Zelleth.”

Kagome glared up at him. “I was just going to ask the same question.” She crossed her arms and sat up.

“I didn't kill him. He was alive when I came back.” Inuyasha looked over, noticing the glint in Sesshomaru's eyes. So that had been the matter Sesshomaru had to deal with when he left their room. Kagome glanced in the same direction and Inuyasha noticed that her eyes went wide.

Sesshomaru said, his voice deathly quiet, “It has been done. It cannot be undone so arguing over it will serve no purpose.”

Kagome's eyes lowered and she nodded before hugging Inuyasha. Inuyasha wondered why she hadn't gotten angry when he fully realized the other half of the thief's statement. He gasped, remarking, “Did you say something about Kagome's bottle? They're after the jewel shards?” He looked down at Kagome. “Do you have the shards with you?”

Kagome nodded, pulling the bottle out of her bodice. “Right here.” He saw the familiar four shards resting inside. “I had it in the bureau tonight with my travel dress.”

“So that's what they're after. I couldn't put my finger on what was inside that bottle for the life of me.” Silk pulled on his nose.

Zakath sighed. “It seems Naraku hasn't been waiting for us up in Cthol Mishrak after all.” He placed a tired hand over his eyes. “Silk, did they do anything else?”

“No. They're four doors down from Inuyasha and Kagome's room, however.” His nose twitched wildly. “I should have known what was so important about that bottle.”

Brador tapped his pointer onto the map again. “Not to disturb this part of the discussion, but how do you intend to go up to Cthol Mishrak with such a small party? Isn't there a horde of demons waiting for you? I implore your Majesties to reconsider.”

Garion shook his head. “We'd just be leading any army to slaughter. It wouldn't be fair to the families of those soldiers. This is not a conventional war. Not only will we have the demons to contend with, I expect Grolims. ”

“But how do you intend to take on that many demons, even with those two? They are but two.” Brador crossed his arms, keeping a new kitten from playing with the pointer.

Inuyasha let go of Kagome briefly. He stood, withdrawing Tetsusaiga. “I think this will help.”

“A rusted sword?” The plump man eyed it suspiciously. “How will that help?”

Inuyasha smirked. “Watch.” He felt Kagome put a hand onto his wrist. He shook her off, transforming the blade. “There.” He rested it on his shoulder, his smile becoming broader.

Brador's eyes went wide. “Just what is that thing?”

Inuyasha lifted it a little. “I've got the only weapon I need. It's the Tetsusaiga.”

Brador looked at it skeptically. “It looks impressive but I still don't understand how it can possibly take on the hordes of demons we're talking about.”

Sesshomaru remained seated, speaking softly, “It can slay a hundred demons with one strike.”

Brador shook his head. “Your Majesty, you know I have difficulty with such outlandish ideas and claims. Surely you don't expect me to believe all of this, too?” He looked withered. “It's bad enough that I have to admit to Belgarath and Polgara. Let's not forget his Majesty, Belgarion.”

Zakath laughed. “That's the Melcene in you talking, Brador. Inuyasha, just put it away. You're making him nervous.”

Inuyasha snorted, sheathing his sword. He sat back down next to Kagome, crossing his arms. He stuck his lower lip out in a pout. Kagome leaned over, laughing in his ear. “Oh Inuyasha, we're impressed by your big toy. Don't pout.” She leaned her head onto his shoulder.

Polgara sighed. “Well, rather those two you over heard, Silk, are with Zelleth, he had no idea who Naraku was. He didn't even know about the jewel shards. He was an utter diversion, programed by the Grolims. I suspect Naraku knows how much trouble he's causing between those who are with and against him and took advantage of it.”

Inuyasha knit his brows together confused. He asked, “What does that mean?”

“It means he was set as a trap to distract us from what ever the other two are up to. They were supposed to let Zelleth create his supposed war between East and West and let them reap the benefits in the chaos that was left over. Who ever manipulated his mind knew about you two. If Zelleth failed in his task to create a rift between Garion and Zakath, perhaps he could anger you two instead.” She stood, brushing her gray dress off.

Silk said, “Well, I still say something should be done about the two down the hall from Kagome and Inuyasha. Those jewel shards, what are they exactly again?”

Kagome pulled the bottle out, opening it. She deposited them onto her palm. “Narkau wants these to complete the Shikon no Tama. It'll give him more power.” She put them back into the bottle, pulling the string around her neck. “Inuyasha and I are trying to gather them back up.”

“Now I remember. Makes demons more powerful, right?” Silk paced. “Something is still off. Why would this Naraku send such bumbling idiots to retrieve these shards? They didn't exactly keep it secret what they were doing, after all.”

“That's the part that baffles me. Unless they're fishing for information about the group in general, it wouldn't make sense other wise to send amateurs.” Belgarath stood, crossing to the wine decanter. He poured himself a glass of wine, sipping it before pacing with it in his hand. “I think Naraku sent all three to find out information. I think he got what he wanted, too. He wanted to know more about what was going on with our group, and so forth.”

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. He thought about what the old man was saying. “You mean to say he was testing us as a group?”

“Precisely. You two brothers fell right for it, if you think about it. He knew that one of you would have to defend Kagome from Zelleth. Those two after the jewel shards are sent to see if they can some how retrieve them if not create more chaos. When Sesshomaru protected Kagome and then you went after Zelleth, I wouldn't be surprised if a hidden spy we're unaware of watched the entire thing. Those other two might have been decoys to throw Silk off the trail without even realizing it. I bet that's what really happened tonight. This wasn't about attacking or stealing. This was about ferreting out information.” Belgarath stopped, sipping more wine. He turned to his daughter. “Pol, any Grolims in the palace we don't know about?”

Polgara's eyes fluttered shut as her mind searched. She shook her head. “No. We do have three Murgos, however.”

Zakath's face blanched. “Murgos in my palace? Brador, did your intelligence notice any?”

“No.”

“Dagashi. That's the only explanation, then.” Belgarath set his glass down, clasping his hands behind his back. “Figures. I knew when Zelleth was caught so easily we were wasting time on him. He wasn't really aware of what he was doing, after all.”

Silk said, “I'll see what I can do.”

“Alright. I think we've gotten as far as we can for one night. It's late and we all need some sleep to clear our heads. Do be careful and if anything should happen tell either Pol or myself.”

Zakath held his hand up. “Can I ask one more thing?” He smiled sheepishly. “Can someone repair that statue in the garden that Inuyasha pulverized?”

Garion laughed. “I don't see why not. I'll do it right before I go to bed, how's that?”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, disgruntled. “Feh.”

Belgarath said, “Try not to make too much noise when you do, alright?”

“I'll try, Grandfather.”

Inuyasha and Kagome stood, following the group out into the hall. They walked along, holding hands as they made their way back to the suite. Inuyasha reached up with his hand, scratching his ear. When he pulled his hand back, Myoga sat on his finger. “Hello, Inuyasha-sama, how have you been?”

“Myoga? Where have you been?” He glared at the tiny flea.

“Ah, well, you see, I was sleeping on Kirara's back for the longest time. I thought we should catch up. What was going on in that conversation, anyways?” Myoga looked up at him with his tiny face.

“Just stuff about Naraku.” Inuyasha snorted.

“Ah, yes, I heard that. Just what did that old man mean by you and Sesshomaru going after some man?” Myoga crossed his arms. “You're not telling me something.” Kagome shook her head. She leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder, her neck exposed. Myoga jumped from Inuyasha's finger to her neck, looking at it. He gasped. “Inuyasha-sama, did you and Kagome do what I think you did?”

“We're mates, get over it.” Inuyasha pinched his fingers together for emphasis.

Myoga jumped up and down. “Finally! I knew this day would come!” He grew serious after a few more jumps. “We will need to talk about this, however, Inuyasha-sama. There are things both of you need to know.”

Kagome said, “Oh? Like what?”

“Well, for one, some things that deal with Inuyasha-sama's heritage and your status as a miko.” Myoga tapped his walking stick on her. “It's nothing bad, I assure you.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Well, if you'll excuse me, me and my mate are going to sleep. You're not invited. Go back to Kirara for the night and we'll talk about this sometime tomorrow, alright?”

Myoga nodded. “Sounds reasonable. It sounds like we have a lot to talk about. I'll leave you be.”

Inuyasha scratched his ear. He glared at the flea demon. “We're going to have to talk about not biting my ears, too.” Myoga jumped off, running away before Inuyasha could squish him.

Kagome laughed. “Well, I suppose he'll tell us things we need to know tomorrow.”

They reached the door to their suite, opening it. When they looked inside, Inuyasha shoved Kagome behind himself. The suite had been ransacked, the chairs from the vanity thrown on the floor, the bedding torn off into a heap, and Kagome's backpack dumped. He sniffed, detecting three male scents. It must be the spies that the others had discussed. He whispered, “Stay right behind me.”

Kagome nodded, following close behind. She gasped as she looked at the trashed room and Inuyasha knew it must have upset her. He slowly went through the rooms, looking for anyone who might still be lingering. A whistle by his ear brought his attention behind him. A three sided blade was embedded into the wall. Inuyasha scanned his eyes in the dim room, locating the male he knew had to be hiding. Turning towards him, Inuyasha adjusted Tetsusaiga in the scabbard, ready to draw if needed.

Another blade flew by, a dagger, and this one Inuyasha deflected with his fire rat. He stepped closer, slowly. He said, “You're not very smart if you're still here after throwing two knives at me.”

His answer was another whistle as another dagger was launched. This one he caught by the hilt. Inuyasha slid out of his fire rat, draping it over his mate. He whispered to Kagome, “Stay down.” Raising his voice, he said, “You're not fooling me. I can see you.” The man stood in shadow, a black mask hiding his features.

The attempted assassin raised his arm to throw another knife but Inuyasha reached him first, slamming his hand into the wall. This caused him to drop the knife. Inuyasha snarled at him, tossing the worthless dagger he had caught to the floor. He flashed his claws at the man. “Mind telling me what you're doing here wrecking my room? Where are your friends?”

The assassin's eyes went wide. Inuyasha fit his hand around the man's neck, squeezing. He stuck a claw in, drawing blood. The masked attacker choked out, “Bottle, must find it.”

Inuyasha slammed the man's head against the wall, sticking another claw in his throat. He growled. “Not gonna happen, fucker.” He squeezed tighter before scraping his claws across his neck. Letting go, the man fell to the floor, clutching his throat. Inuyasha glanced over at Kagome. She had hidden herself under his fire rat. Looking back down at the assassin, he bared his fangs. This man had been after his mate, regardless of the jewel shards.

He kicked him in the stomach before lifting him up by his shirt. Inuyasha's eyes narrowed as he looked into his eyes. Disgusted, he threw him across the room, the sickening crunch of bones reaching his ears as the assassin's body connected with stone. It was obvious that he had broken the man's legs and back by the odd angle the man twisted at. Inuyasha stood staring at him. “What do you want with the bottle?”

The man coughed and his mask fell off, revealing the blood that touched the corners of his mouth. His groggy eyes looked out of focus as he looked up at the half-demon. He croaked out, “I was paid to retrieve it.”

Inuyasha withdrew Tetsusaiga, transforming it before placing the point at the man's throat. “You know, I'm getting pretty fucking tired of you and your friends. I hear Zelleth's dead. Would you know anything about that?”

The assassin's face contorted into a mask of pain and terror. He gulped against the point of Tetsusaiga. He whispered softly, “No.” His eyes closed unable to move without his throat being cut.

Inuyasha nicked him with Tetsusaiga before letting it return to rusty form. He whispered, “Kagome, look through your things and make sure nothing else is missing.”

Kagome nodded, peeking out from under the fire rat. She wore it like a hood, running her hands through her odd objects. She froze. “Inuyasha, someone stole my camera phone. Mama wanted photos of everyone so I stuck it in. It's gone.”

Inuyasha growled. He said, “Are you sure you had it with you?”

“Uh huh. It's the small silver object that unfolds.” She started to throw objects back into the bag. “Inuyasha, we have to get that back. If Naraku finds out about---”

“Don't say it. I'll find the asshole who took it.” He sniffed, memorizing the two scents of the other men. “I want you to take your stuff and go to Sesshomaru's room right now. I'll come for you when I have your silver thing back.”

Kagome nodded. Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, she followed his careful lead into the hallway. Inuyasha kept a hand on her as he lead her to Sesshomaru's door. Knocking, they waited for an answer. Kagome eased his fire rat at him but he waved it away. Sesshomaru opened the door, staring at the two of them. Inuyasha said, “She's going to stay with you for the time being. Our room was ransacked and they stole something from her bag.” Sesshomaru stepped aside, letting Kagome in. He didn't answer as he closed the door.

Inuyasha sighed. He sniffed, trying to locate the scents of the two men who had made off with Kagome's small silver object. The frivolousness of the thing annoyed him but he knew that if they didn't get it back and soon that Kagome's secret could be exposed. He silently stalked the halls, locating them to a suite down the hall. He heard a voice, “What is this thing, anyways? It's not what we were told to steal. That stupid girl took that bottle with her. Tejak better come through for us.”

“I know, but it's something. I think it's important, too.”

The door was slightly ajar as if they had hastily returned to their room. He eased it open with a foot, thankful that it was silent on the hinges. The other man replied, “Whatever it is, it sure is weird. Look at that strange box on it.”

Inuyasha slunk inside the room, Tetsusaiga still in his fist. He saw his prey, one dark and thin and the other stocky and fat. The thin one held the silver object Kagome had fretted about. Because they had seen this object and had been connected to Naraku, both had to die. He couldn't let Naraku know about Kagome's era of origin. The portly one replied, “I bet red eyes will want to see it, anyways. It's still from that girl, after all.”

The thin one tossed it towards the portly one. “Well, I don't really care what red eyes wants to do with it. As long as he pays me the money he owes me, I don't care. You think that guy in red will come looking for it? I hope that Tajak did his job. I bet he had no troubles with him. That guy doesn't look all that tough if you ask me. Tejak's the best Dagashi.”

“I hear you. Did you notice he couldn't take that spicy dish from Gandahar? Weak stomachs mean weak bodies.” The stocky man patted his stomach for emphasis.

“He sure has something. I thought he'd never get done having fun with that girl. I told you she looked like fun.” The skinny man smiled wide. “I wouldn't mind taking the time to make her make some of those sounds.” Inuyasha suppressed a low growl so not to give his presence away.

“When we get the girl and the bottle you can do what ever you want with her. I don't care.”

Assessing his prey, Inuyasha watched them carefully, slinking into the shadows to provide coverage. He replaced Tetsusaiga at his hip. He saw the taller one turn his back directly in front of him. Inuyasha shot his hand out, squeezing the man's wind pipe. He felt him grip his fingers, trying to peel them away. A hissing sound reached his ears as a dagger connected with his shoulder. Inuyasha snorted. He growled. “Feh. Like a dagger will hurt me.” He dropped the taller man to the floor, who clutched his neck gasping for air. Inuyasha pulled the dagger from his shoulder. He discarded it to the floor.

The thin man on the floor backed up, staring up at him in horror. “What are you?”

The portly one tried to throw another knife, this one missing its target completely as Inuyasha jumped into the air, doing a back flip. He landed, his feet kicking the fat man in the face. Inuyasha withdrew Tetsusaiga, pointing it in the taller man's face as he stood, attempting to throw another knife. “You move that hand and I'll take your head.” With a clatter, the thin man dropped the knife to the floor.

The fat man had pushed himself up from the floor, attempting to run. Inuyasha leveled Tetsusaiga at the thin one, his other hand plunging into his bloodied shoulder. He flung his blood at the fat man, hitting him square in the back, slicing gashes to the bone. He collapsed, howling in agonizing pain. The thin man choked out, “What do you want?”

“You stole something that belongs to my mate. I'd like to have it back.” Inuyasha said it quietly, his tone low.

The tall man said, “I don't know what you're talking about.”

“Oh, but you do. You were talking about it right before I came in here.” He nicked the blade of Tetsusaiga across the man's neck. “Now, I'd like to take it back. I'm going to kill both of you rather you give it to me or not.”

The portly man groaned behind him, dragging his torn body towards the door. Inuyasha glanced in his direction before lowering Tetsusaiga. He replaced it to his hip, lifting the fat man up. As he posed no fight within to appease Inuyasha, he simply crushed his wind pipe, dropping him to the floor. He then turned, advancing on the taller, thin man.

The skinny man turned, crashing himself through the large window. Inuyasha shouted, “Fuck! Get back here!” He followed, leaping out of the window. It was a good forty feet from the ground. In mid air, Inuyasha grabbed the man, landing gracefully on his feet. He slammed him into the stone wall, growling. “Tell me what you know and do it quick. I'm getting sick of smelling you.”

“I don't know anything. I promise! We were hired by some man with red eyes who didn't tell us his name or why he wanted it but he said to get a bottle. All we cared about was getting paid.” He gasped against Inuyasha's tightening grip.

Inuyasha bashed his head into the wall before letting go. He pulled Tetsusaiga out, leveling its transformed blade at him. “Listen, you asshole, I've had enough of you.”

The man shook against the wall, shaking his head trying to clear it. He groaned sliding down the wall. Looking up towards Inuyasha he jumped up, running. Inuyasha rolled his eyes, sighing. Following the fleeing man, he growled. This was taking more time than he had originally anticipated. The thin man turned, looking over his shoulder. “Fuck! You're wasting my time!”

Inuyasha sliced the air with his claws, sending a golden track towards the man. Severing him at the torso, Inuyasha jumped, crossing the distance from the wall and the garden path. He landed by the man's corpse. Inuyasha pawed through his pockets to make sure nothing else was missing from Kagome's bag or that the small silver object was not in his possession. He glanced around once before leaping back up into the room.

Standing in the window, he saw the portly man's corpse. Following the same procedure, he located the small silver object in a pocket. He stopped, twitching his ears as he heard footsteps out in the hallway. They passed and he snuck back out towards Sesshomaru's door. Certain that Kagome's secret was safe from Naraku, he knocked, waiting for his brother to answer. Sesshomaru asked quietly, “Did you get it back?”

“Yes.” He entered, looking around. Kagome sat in one of the chairs, his fire rat still blanketing her. Inuyasha pulled her into an embrace, holding her close.

He heard her gasp and touch the bloodied portion of his shoulder. “Inuyasha, you're hurt.”
Inuyasha snorted. “Idiot thought he could kill me with a dagger. It's nothing. They're both dead anyways. They won't be telling anyone about that silver object now.”

Kagome dabbed at it with her fingers. “You should still take care of it.” She looked up into his eyes and asked, “Did you get it?”

“Yeah. Here.” He put the silver item back into her hand.

Kagome hugged him before examining the object. She flipped it open, making it look thin. He jumped back when it made a chirping sound. She laughed, “Oh Inuyasha, it won't hurt you.” She pushed something on it and it made a strange melody.

Both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru leaned in to look at it, curiosity on both their faces. Kagome held it up, pointing what had been the top of it at them. She said, “Smile!” A brief click could be heard and she turned it around, showing them an image of themselves.

Inuyasha jumped away from it. He said, “What did you do to us?”

“I took your picture, goof. It didn't hurt you, you know.” She showed it to Sesshomaru who took it into his own hand, looking at it with wonder. “What did you think I did?”

“I don't know.” He looked over his brother's shoulder. “So that's what they stole, huh? What is it?”

“I told you it was a camera phone.” She sighed. “I think we should clean up the room and go to bed.” She yawned, stretching. “It's been an entirely too long of a night.” She slid the fire rat off, putting it on Inuyasha's shoulders.

Inuyasha shrugged into his fire rat. He said, “I guess so.”

Sesshomaru seemed to be entranced by the strange silver item that Kagome called a camera phone. His brows were knit together as he touched his clawed thumb to the strange buttons. Odd chimes came from it each time he pushed one. Kagome shook her head. “I think Sesshomaru has a new toy. Here let me show you what it's doing.”

Sesshomaru gave it back, keeping a look over Kagome's shoulder as she pushed a button. “This button is to send a message or to call someone who also has one of these. It won't work here because the things that connect them don't exist yet.” She flipped through a strange list. The picture she had taken of the two of them went by.

Inuyasha looked over her shoulder as well, looking at the mirrored curious expression on both their faces in the picture. If it hadn't been for his ears and Sesshomaru's markings they would have been identical. He crossed his arms. “Feh. We have a mess to clean up. You can show him that later.”

Kagome nodded, folding it back into the tiny box shape he had found it in. She gave Rin a kiss on the forehead as she slept in the bed quietly. She hefted her backpack onto one shoulder and nodded. “Alright, let's go, Inuyasha.”

When they reached their room, Garion stood outside the door. He asked, “What on earth happened?”

“Those thieves went after Kagome's bottle and trashed the room.” Inuyasha said, pushing Kagome's fist closed around the camera phone. He liked Garion but didn't trust him enough to let out Kagome's true era of origin.

A groan could be heard from inside and Inuyasha entered slowly, Garion and Kagome following behind. On the floor was the man he had slammed into the wall. He was barely alive, his pulse slow. Blood pooled around his head. One leg twisted out, a piece of bone sticking out while the other hung slack, broken in several places. Garion said, “Belar! What did you do to him?”

“I got fed up with him throwing knives at me.” He bent down, looking at the attempted assassin. “Think he can say anything about what's going on?”

Garion knelt down, placing his hands to the sides of the man's face. He closed his eyes. “You scrambled his brains pretty good. He's not going to hold on much longer anyways. He's basically bleeding to death.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. He smelt death on the body as it was and knew the man was near it. He had just hoped that perhaps something more could be gleaned from him. “Feh. That's what you get for trying to kill me or my mate.” Kagome hid her face into his uninjured shoulder.

Belgarath peeked into the room. “I see you weren't done playing for the night. What's going on in here?”

Garion said, “They ransacked the room and tried to kill Kagome and Inuyasha.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. Tried is the operative word. The other two, they said he was Dagashi. What's that?”

“This man?” Belgarath leaned down. “Yes, he was. He looks like he was the best of them, too. My, you did do some damage to him.” He stood, scratching his beard. “They're trained assassins from Cthol Murgos sent on various missions. That weapon stuck in the wall proves it.”

Garion said, “Well, there's nothing we can do for him or get out of him. I guess we'll just have to get him out of here and clean up.”

Inuyasha put a hand on the back of his neck. He sheepishly smiled before saying, “Uh, there's another thing. Down the hall, well, you see the other two, one jumped through the window.”

Belgarath threw his hands up in the air. “Why me? You're as bad as Garion is!” He turned around, heading back out into the hallway. “Just clean everything up. Zakath's going to have to fix that window some other time.”

Inuyasha looked from the old man to Garion. Garion shrugged his shoulders. “You heard him. We'll get this cleaned up and I'll set out to fix that statue you ripped apart. We'll figure out the window later.”