Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ From Wishes to Eternity ❯ A coral captured ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry about the delay, vacation rocks! Anyway, here is chapter three!

X X X
 
A Coral Captured
 
X X X X X
 
Even while missing their companion, Miroku and Kagome managed to locate and clear out the troublesome earth demons that they had been sent out to deal with in the first place.
 
It was in cases such as this that they discovered that the poisons Sango employed at times were direly missed, as they would have been a tremendous help. Especially as Kagome´s cheek had earned an unnecessary scratch and Miroku narrowly avoided a bleeding lip when sharp rocks had begun flying in their general direction. While Miroku searched the demons for potentially hazardous objects that would have to be reported, Kagome took out a small, mirror-like object, and used the communicator to all Reikai at once. While she had questioned such technology years ago, it was an invaluable part of her everyday life now, though she still didn't understand exactly how the television set functioned.
 
There were only two people that had access to the line of this personal communicator, that being Ayame, the ferry girl that had first brought Kagome to Reikai and who still served as her group's primary link to the spirit world and Koenma himself, because of the importance of her person. It was Ayame that her call targeted this time and it was also the ferry girl who picked up soon enough. She, like Kagome and the others, had not changed in the least despite the passing years.
 
“Nice to see you again, Kagome-san.” The always calm and collected-looking ferry girl said pleasantly. It appeared that she was in the archives, which was generally the place she could be found at. Ayame, despite her official status, was more of an advisor to Koenma than an actual ferry girl and Kagome suspected at times that it wasn't only because she excelled in that work. “Can I do something for you?”
 
The priestess nodded immediately. “We have a problem, Ayame-san. Sango-chan has been captured by youkai during an unexpected assault and we have learned that the thief known as Youko Kurama might be behind the kidnapping. I'd like you to find us any information about this guy you can dig up. The archives have to have a file on him.”
 
“Youko Kurama, you say? Well of course, but the file might be too large to process directly.” Ayame noted with a small frown. “It's polluted with rumored sightings and second-hand information. I'll have to scan it manually and see what kind of information will be useful to you. Hopefully, I'll send you something that isn't merely common knowledge or trash. I will call you back as soon as I have something useful.”

”That would be great. Arigato, Ayame-san.” The image of the archives and the ferry girl vanished and Kagome replaced the communicator in the pouch she carried instead of a bag. It contained only the most useful things to her and usually was hidden underneath her robes, though it was hardly possible that any demon would get a chance to steal any of its contents.
 
Meanwhile, Miroku had all but finished his rudimentary check of the slain demons. They were simple pests, low-class youkai that had been likely driven into rage by some occurrence or another, possibly the upcoming summit. It couldn't be helped, ultimately. Beasts had to be caged or destroyed if they couldn't control themselves and, all in all, he and Kagome had destroyed them rather mercifully, considering the trouble they had given them with the flying rocks. That hadn't been a good experience. Though he had died differently, he now had a very good idea of what it felt like to be stoned to death.
 
His thoughts strayed back to Sango. He had calmed himself somewhat, but the unease remained. In a way, it was pointless to worry too much - if the thieves had as much honor as the ones he had wanted to interrogate had, then they would likely fear their leaders far too much to even think of… well, anything he might like to do with Sango. But that was different. Mistreating Sango in any way was never his intent. He simply hoped that they would be too focused on obtaining the jewel from Kagome to even think of harming their captive in any way.
 
Kagome saw his rather grim expression, but had no words of comfort. She, too, was very upset by the loss of her best friend, her first true friend, which she had never had in her life before. “We will get her back, Miroku-sama.” she said quietly, but resolutely. “She will be all right. Sango-chan is strong.” Kirara, who was not tasked with the need to carry Hiraikotsu, a weapon with which even Miroku with his strength had problems, meowed loudly in her full demonic form, following them both obediently through the forest as they moved on.
 
And the strength both of them allowed their thoughts to dwell on had a chance to display itself a few hours previously. Prior to her arrival to the den of the thieves that had captured her, prior to the realization that she had been captured, Sango had woken up rather slowly and groggily acknowledged that she was at least several hundred meters above the ground. Surprisingly, she wasn't as startled as a normal human ought to be, because she was used to flying on Kirara when occasion required it. But Kirara´s familiar warm body was nowhere in sight. She wasn't even carried by the grip of her teeth.
 
Instead, there was a firm ring around her waist, formed by the living, warm flesh of two firm arms that somehow gave her the shivers. Her honed senses felt the youki surrounding her and managed to gather that she had been captured by the youkai she had sensed previously and whom she had attempted and failed to slay. Now that was a first for the experienced slayer. Her Hiraikotsu was gone and her sword had been taken, but she still could have fought, had she wanted to. But it felt somehow suicidal to fight against the creature that stood between her and a very long fall, thus she refrained from taking her chances.
 
Another thing she felt was something tucked behind her ear that wasn't her hair, which she reached out to extract. Her captor did not react to that in any way, though she could tell that her consciousness hadn't gone unregistered by him. She felt his muscles tense briefly, as if he was readying himself for a possible foolish attack, and then relax a bit when her hand only reached for what she discovered was a flower.
 
Sango blinked. What she held in her hand and examined was a relatively pretty flower, the color of which actually suited her exterminator outfit, as it was only a shade darker than her armor. It was wilted and dead now, but still appeared pleasing to the eye. She refrained from sniffing it, however, recalling the flowery smell that she now associated with her capture. And she connected the flower with the scent. That meant that she was conscious only because the flower had died and its effects had weakened or possibly worn off. However, being so high in the air and likely miles away from Miroku and Kagome, she had no idea how long they had been flying or where they were heading.
 
The former was doomed to remain a mystery to her. The latter she discovered a few minutes later, when they began their descent into the forest. Sango attempted to pay attention to where they were, but then realized that it looked like any other part of any other forest to her. In short, she had no idea where she was or how to return to the others. She saw the settlement, however, a very well-hidden series of dwellings, high up in the giant trees and practically invisible to the casual eye, especially since one didn't know where to look.
 
They landed relatively gently, which the taijiya viewed as surprising, but the grip on her waist was released only once it was certain that she wasn't about to try some foolhardy escape. When she finally had the chance to turn around, she managed to get a better look at her captor, who awarded her with a small grin upon seeing her interest. And while Sango couldn't entirely honestly say that the word “handsome” defined him from her point of view, the words “tall” and “dark” certainly did. In fact, something in him reminded her of Miroku, with the major difference that the youkai´s hands hadn't strayed even half an inch beneath her waist throughout the entire journey, though she couldn't vouch for the time when she had been unconscious.
 
She boldly wrestled her arm away from his grip when he attempted to lead her away to somewhere. “I can walk, you know.” she said crossly. Her voice and their rather ceremonious arrival had attracted the attention of some of the other residents of the settlement, she noticed. There were youkai everywhere, of all kinds, though they mostly seemed to be of animal species of various shapes and sizes. Most of them had a human form, and the illusion was cancelled out only by different skin and hair shades and an extra ear or tail here and there.
 
The bat youkai´s grin turned to a not overly subtle smirk, but complied with her demand. “You are our guest, taijiya-san, as long as you behave like one.” He said, not ironically, but there was a slight chiding undertone and definite amusement behind it. Ninety-nine out of a hundred women that would have been dragged to their den would have squirmed in fear and started crying pathetically. The hundredth seemed to have an actual personality. That was certainly new.
 
But she didn't seem to find his respect of her wishes endearing enough to warm up to him so easily. A shame, Kuronue sighed inwardly with no small degree of amusement. And here they were getting along so well…
 
“And whose guest might I be, then, if I had to be brought here in such a fashion?” Sango demanded. Not that she would ever accept an invitation to a youkai den, but she was somewhat uncertain as to what they wanted to do with her. And, most importantly, who “they” actually were.
 
But before her tall dark stranger could give her an answer aside from the good humor she thought she saw in his blackish eyes - and which annoyed her thoroughly, as it seemed to be mocking her - another voice interrupted, one that was chilling despite its pleasant timbre. “Ah, you have returned, Kuronue. And with the huntress, I see. Well done.”
 
The bat youkai, Kuronue, Sango supposed, nodded curtly in thanks to the figure that approached them and the taijiya turned her head just in time to see Youko Kurama arrive. Though she didn't know his name yet, she immediately pinpointed him as the leader of the thieves, as all the others acknowledged his presence and his stride alone seemed to show that he owned the place and was aware of it. And while Sango, both as a taijiya and a smart woman, knew better than to even consider romantic involvement with demons of any kind, would have, in a different situation, admitted that this youkai was exceptionally beautiful, though whether it was just the drastic comparison with other youkai she had faced and destroyed or just his appearance alone was somewhat questionable. Presently, however, all that Sango assessed was that he was the strongest demon around and likely her “host”.
 
The kitsune strode towards her and stopped a few feet away, just within a respectable distance, and gave a half-satisfied, half-superior smile to her. His golden eyes remained surprisingly cold, providing a startling contrast. “Sango the taijiiya. Welcome to our humble home. Have no fear; your stay will be short and hopefully painless to both sides of the conflict.”
 
“What do you want?” Sango asked without a pretext, doing her best to maintain eye contact with the white demon. For all his beauty, there was simply something in him that gave her the shivers. But she would die before allowing him to see her unnerved, which made her exceed the expectations most demons had about humans.
 
There was a general laugh, marred by the tension that had risen almost at once. No one in living memory had dared speak that way to Youko, certainly not a human woman and a captive at that. Kuronue was watching with a mildly interested look, keeping his eyes on the slayer, who remained firm. Momentarily, an almost indulgent look appeared on Youko´s face, even though it neither approved of such boldness nor condemned the woman for it.
 
“What every demon and thief desires, Sango-san. Your companion's pretty necklace. I have a weakness for shiny things, you see.”
 
The slayer's eyes widened for a fraction of a second before narrowing into a dangerous glare that would have made a lesser youkai back off. Youko didn't even flinch, but also didn't toy with her, which partially served to his credit.
 
“You will never succeed.” Sango said solemnly, clearly firmly certain of every word. “Kagome-chan will purify you before you even spot the jewel.”
 
Ka-go-me. An unusual name, that, but Youko gathered that it was the priestess, naturally. The name had no meaning and was likely unique. How fitting. “Of course. Which is where you come in.” the kitsune noted smoothly. “Tell me, what is more important to you companions? The jewel… or their friend's life?”
 
As Sango comprehended exactly just how bad the situation was, the kitsune turned away from her and gave the bat youkai, Kuronue, her mind supplied despite its state of shock and anger, and gave him instructions as to when and where the exchange should take place. Kuronue took off almost at once, though not before tossing Sango another half-smirk to which she couldn't even summon the will to glare in reply.
 
X X X X X
 
As guests of honor, representatives of Reikai and its ruler and generally famous entities in Makai, the monk and the priestess were ledged in one of the few estates of the world that served for representative purposes, which was a rarity in its own way. Their rooms were off-limits to anyone else and they usually took turns in sleeping and maintaining a barrier while in Makai. Fortunately, their sleep requirements had diminished somewhat in this incarnation.
 
Tonight, neither of them had a very pleasant sleep, even though their rooms were of the highest quality and furnished in a way that would not offend even Koenma himself. Instead, they had retreated to only one room, though conversation was scarce.
 
Ayame had contacted them only briefly to say that she still had only bits and pieces here and there - and that even that information still needed a major sorting.
 
Though both were usually talkative, the mood tonight was surprisingly dark. Until, finally, after torturous hours, a knock on the door both broke the silence and awkwardness and signaled the end of the longest time Miroku had spent alone with a woman without attempting to show parts of her body his appreciation or ask her to bear his child.
 
“Excuse me, but you have a man wanting to speak with you waiting, houshi-sama, miko-sama.” The attendant said with the practiced blankness of a servant.
 
“We do not offer audiences.” Miroku noted with a hint of bitterness. The female youkai didn't seem to be to his taste at the moment.
 
The she-demon nodded, aware of the fact. “I told him that, but he insisted I give you this before you make up your minds.” She handed the monk something long wrapped in a simple folded cloth.
 
What its unwrapping revealed had Kagome out of the room before Miroku could even register what it was and think of a reaction. It was Sango´s sword.
 
Kagome liked the waiting youkai with the one that had kidnapped Sango upon seeing him - she could identify his species and recognized some of his appearance. After all, she had shot an arrow at him, though it was clear she had missed. As for Kuronue, he seemed surprisingly patient, feeling the aura of the jewel move closer, along with the purity centered in a single creature.
 
The priestess was an equal of the taijiya in terms of beauty, but seemed more exotic where the slayer had been gentle - though only in appearance. Perhaps it was the holy aura that surrounded her. The monk he acknowledged primarily due to the fierce yet fiercely controlled anger he radiated. The half-bow he gave them both was almost mocking and received no response.
 
Surprisingly, it was the monk who spoke first. “I hope the sword doesn't signify the captive's current state of health.” He said, with a tone that could be interpreted both as warning and menacing at the same time.
 
“Rest assured your lovely taijiya has not been harmed in the slightest.” It was somehow satisfying to see the monk tighten his grip on his staff and his look darken. It betrayed his concern for the woman, whether he knew it or not. “And she will not be harmed in the slightest as long as we come to an understanding. At the moment, she is merely our guest.”
 
Only the miko appeared to be unaffected, though she was far from emotionless at the moment. It seemed she merely knew where they stood. “Give us the time and place of the exchange. We will be there. If one hair on Sango-chan´s head will be out of place, I will purify you to the next world along with your boss. Tell Kurama that.”
 
So she had figured it out. Or perhaps one of the dead goons had spilled that information prior to their tragically pure demise. Ah, well, there was no harm in them knowing who they were dealing with. Perhaps they would at least not try anything much. “Youko sends his regards, but is far too busy with other matters of importance to meet you personally.” Kuronue noted nonchalantly, partly because he knew it would annoy them, partly because it was likely true. “Tomorrow at midnight,” The time had been purposely chosen, because the powers of purification generally were weakest during that point of the night. “at the spot where the taijiya was captured. Only your presence is required, Kagome-sama.”
 
The title was a bit twisted when coming from a youkai´s mouth, the name split a bit into its particular syllables. But Kagome wondered primarily just when Sango had mentioned her, because Sango was the only person who could have revealed that name to the thieves. Not that it mattered, but it further made her certain that they had to rescue the slayer as soon as possible. “Done.” she said, before Miroku had a chance to protest.
 
Kuronue gave her another half-bow before exiting without drama. Miroku even forgot that he had been debating whether or not to use Sango´s sword now that he had the chance as he turned to Kagome with worry. “Kagome-sama, this is a trap if I ever saw one. You cannot trust those demons. They likely plan to rob you of the jewel and kill Sango,” That was a chilling thought. “Or kill you and then steal the jewel.”
 
“Sango-chan will be all right.” Kagome said, trying hard to believe it. After all, there was no true use in keeping the taijiya captive or killing her, unless it would be out of pure spite. Which wasn't that impossible, unfortunately, but at least it wasn't certain. “And I will be too. they underestimate me still.”
 
But the monk didn't seem so certain of that, even if he knew that dissuading Kagome when she had made up her mind about something was futile. Her decision was very honorable and he too wanted to save Sango as soon as possible, but… they had all sworn to protect the jewel with their lives, because it was worth much more than even that great sacrifice. And so he was the first to come across the question that would likely haunt him throughout the centuries - what was the jewel worth? Was it worth sacrificing a human life? Was a life worth sacrificing the jewel that, once infused into a demon's body, could bring thousands of other lives to an end?
 
Miles away, in a room that was equipped with everything she would need for survival, including edible food and water, as if she truly was a guest, Sango wondered the same.
 
X X X X X
 
The promised hour came and Kagome watched Kirara transform back into her kittenish state of disguise as she stood on the spot where they had battled the thieves for the first time. she was a bit early and still had minutes to spare, but she wanted to assess her current situation and the battleground. There was nothing out of the ordinary lurking in the shadows, but neither Sango nor her captors were anywhere in sight. Kagome was actually prepared for the possibility that they will abandon the exchange altogether and merely proceed to attack her at once, because, knowing Sango, she would never allow this situation to be repeated if she had a say in the matter.
 
The blackish sky soon revealed an approaching form, something too large to be a bird and its prey, and Kagome holstered her bow just in case something would be out of the ordinary. Sure enough, soon, the gleam of the pink reflection of Sango´s armor became visible.
 
As for Sango herself, she was conscious throughout the entire journey and distinctly uncomfortable. Not that this way of traveling was inconvenient in a way, but if was hardly her idea of the perfect transportation - behind grasped tightly by a powerful youkai that was her enemy, her feet dangling thousands of feet above the ground. fortunately, she wasn't nauseous. If she had been, she would have passed out already long ago. As things were, she was still glad to see them approach the ground again, though she felt a slight fear when she saw Kagome down there, alone, though armed, and apparently ready to trade the jewel for her friend's life.
 
In that moment, she cursed her own clumsiness at getting captured, but fortunately had spent her time in the youkai village more productively than a usual captive would have. Plotting a means of escape, but an effective one. Her weapons had been lost or confiscated, but fortunately, one hadn't been discovered - the hidden blade that was almost literally up her sleeve. There had not been a chance to use it in the village, as she didn't know the way back, but now that she knew exactly where they were and the ground was near enough, she decided that it was time to use it. However, she chose to wait a bit, hopefully giving Kagome a signal that she could handle the situation on her own and notify her when shooting would be a good idea.
 
“A touching gesture, Kagome-sama.” The thus far unsuspecting Kuronue noted upon checking that the priestess was actually alone. That he didn't pick out Kirara from the general demonic aura surrounding them was hardly his fault, because Kagome was truly the dominant oddity in the environment at the moment. “I see you have what we want; you can see that the taijiya is unharmed. Now, let us proceed with the friendly exchange.”
 
At that precise moment, several youkai stepped out of the shadows, cutting off Kagome from almost every direction. They made no hostile move yet, but it was clear that a double-cross was currently being put into action. Sango had been afraid of that, because she for one didn't trust the thieves, even if they used an honorific after her name. Demons were still demons to her.
 
Kagome swept the group with her eyes, meanwhile sizing them up with her powers. They seemed to be slightly more powerful than those that had attacked them yesterday, but, truly, these were thieves, not trained warriors. They could fight, certainly, but they could be bested as well.
 
“What part of the word friendly does your dictionary define as hostile?” Kagome asked with a hint of anger in her voice. It was clear, then. They were foolish enough to believe that they could kill her and Sango both to avoid pursuit. And while Miroku was strong, even he could be bested when there was no one to watch his back. “You honestly think this will be enough to kill us?”
 
But Kuronue shook his head slightly. “You've got it all wrong, Kagome-sama. Killing you was never the intention. And keeping your jewel is only a possibility that we might not choose. I have to wonder just how much Koenma will be willing to invest into the rescue of Reikai´s greatest treasure and its defender. But we are an open-minded society. The highest bidder always gets the prize.”
 
Finally, for a fleeting moment, the two women's eyes locked. A second later, as if in a silent understanding, Sango raised her arm and sent her blade into the nearest body part of her captor, this being the arm around her waist. The unexpected attack earned her a satisfying yell of pain and the slayer readily landed on the ground some three meters away from them, springing into action. Kirara jumped in with a burst of flame to aid the slayer, who wasted no time punching the nearest demon that dared advance towards Kagome.
 
The youkai were all in uproar. If they had believed that they were safe while they held the taijiya, they were now losing organization. Those who tried to fight were pushed back with a startling precision, courtesy of Sango, who clearly wanted to repay them for her capture. Some fled upon seeing the slow defeat. And the move became almost a full retreat when the first arrow from Kagome´s quiver zoomed past them and struck its targeted youkai in the back, effectively purifying his body in a wave of particles.
 
Sango, in the meantime, deeply regretted that she was forced to rely on her fists only. Poisons weren't satisfying in cases such as this - but at least Kirara was able to fly up and detain the bat youkai before it would be his turn. Just as it seemed that the nekomata could land a hit despite the odds being against the feline, a shout of her name was heard from down bellow. Both demons in the air were momentarily distracted and looked down in time to see another brightly lit arrow soar towards them, its light missing singing skin and fur alike by inches.
 
In that moment, Kuronue made the decision that, powerful weapon and magical item or not, there had to be a way to obtain it without getting purified in the process. It wasn't precious enough to lose limbs for at the moment. with an uproar of speed, he rose certainly quicker than a mortal eye could detect.
 
But now, with nothing blocking her path, Kagome fired another arrow, and its speed went underestimated by its target. The second shot proved immeasurably more precise than the first; though it didn't purify its target - which had not been its intent anyway - the gash it left on the demon's side would likely leave a lasting scar. It was a miracle of sheer willpower that he managed to remain airborne. But it would also serve as an effective message to his companions and hopefully keep them away in the near future.
 
By then, Kagome had taken her eyes off the demons and was running towards the taijiya, who still held a battle stance. “Sango-chan!” she cried to the seemingly uninjured woman. “Are you all right?”
 
The answer was a nod. “Hai, Kagome-chan. We managed to cooperate, but I don't think letting that Kuronue flee was a good idea.”
 
The priestess glanced up at the nearly black sky, where the form of the youkai was no longer present - she deduced that Sango was referring to that bat demon, their apparent leader and the messenger they had received. Well, she would fill her in on that later. Right now… “Come on, Sango-chan, Kirara, let's go back.”
 
X X X X X
 
It was a clear night, which most people didn't appreciate, to their misfortune. However, even if it would have been a tempest raging, Youko would have likely remained up, sorting through the items brought in that way and seeing if there was anything overly valuable there. It was just a pastime, really, because he was surprisingly anxious to see how Kuronue had done with the priestess. It had been his order that he bring the woman along with the jewel, naturally. Truth to be told, he had been a little disappointed with her at first, to succumb to such an easy trick, dirty as it might be. Playing on the emotions of human was surprisingly easy.
 
How had such a creature lasted in existence for so long? He could muse about that for some time, he thought. He had expected slightly more from the protector of such a thing.
 
But when there was an uproar outside, he could smell blood, and it wasn't ningen. Actually, he could not smell any humans at all. Only the strange smell of something he couldn't identify at first and then recognized as… purity.
 
His own dwelling was within the village, one of the settlements they inhabited when in that particular area of Makai. The stash of their full inventory was in a carefully concealed cave that was guarded day and night by trustworthy beings - namely, his plants, those that had a mind that could be considered sentient. Aside from that great safe, as it were, there were very few things of true value that couldn't be replaced in their camp. Really, as long as they had money, the thieves lacked for nothing.
 
Everyone moved to make way for him as he approached, whispering to themselves. Apparently, almost all of those present in the settlement that night had gathered to witness what he was to see moments later. The smell of purity didn't radiate from the priestess that was supposed to be brought, nor from her jewel. In fact, neither was there at all. What radiated the painfully holy energy was the burn those with healing skills were already examining on Kuronue´s side.
 
Kuronue seemed a bit more snake than bat now, with all that hissing, which was morbidly amusing, in a way. But the wound was neither deep nor too serious. Just enough to be irritating, very painful and likely leave a lasting mark. In essence, it translated as “Stay away” in any language. It was a warning shot. In addition, his right arm was bleeding. That explained the scent, at least.
 
The small crowd was muttering amongst themselves and quieted down when the luminous form of Youko appeared. He didn't even kneel to inspect the wound inflicted upon his comrade, merely looked at it with an almost critical eye. there was no reason to be concerned from his point of view and even less need to show any concern; and, it wasn't his way.
 
“You will live.” The kitsune said finally and took a few steps closer to hear better through the hissing. “But you have failed, I see. What happened there?”
 
It seemed indeed problematic for the bat youkai to speak, but he did so to the best of his ability. “The taijiya had a hidden knife and surprised me with it when we surrounded the priestess. It went really quickly then - the priestess had a pet nekomata with her and started shooting.” He said, glancing at his wound with bitterness. Perhaps he should have added that the priestess should come weaponless as well. damn it all to hell now. “Our men were meat on a stick against two human women. Heh,” His half-grin at once turned into a painful grimace as more blood rushed out of his first wound. “Damned bitch. Either I want to tear out her insides or I'm starting to like her.”
 
Youko ignored that and ordered the healers to take Kuronue away; he himself walked away from the entire scene without a second thought. Whether this was luck or skill or whatever fate might guide the world, he had to admit - at least to himself - that there was apparently truly more to the three humans than what the thieves had assumed after their primary success. This was that he wanted; a challenge. Something that would prove worthy of his own skill. Goodness only knew that there were few such things these days.
 
The scene played itself out in front of his mind's eye again and he formed yet another plan of obtaining the Shikon no Tama. He cared nothing for the jewel itself, but he was curious as to whether the priestess could stand up to his expectations, as the slayer had. the taijiya he would leave alone for now. It was time to change strategy.
 
And here I was afraid this would get boring so easily. he thought to himself.