Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ From Wishes to Eternity ❯ A lonely journey ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reviews, people, reviews! Getting them would be wonderful, hehe. But I have just rewritten part of this story, because I have inserted a new canon character into it, which I take pride in. really, I thought there would be no way to get that particular person into this story without crushing the plot completely, but I thought a bit a voila! The character is in there, showing up in this chapter, and I bet all of you fans will be able to identify everyone's favorite (hidden word) by the description and the last word of this chapter… if not, then tough luck, but I think you will. Hehehe. Beware the cliffhanger of evilness at the end of the chapter! But I promise that while this will get very twisted in terms of plot, all will work out in the end…. Hopefully.
 
 
X X X
 
A lonely journey
 
X X X X X
 
 
After the passing of several weeks, it seemed that the threat - or warning, depending on what point of view was assumed - Kagome´s arrow had provided had worked. The conclave came and went like a light breeze, as did several weak attacks from low-class youkai that the group disposed of with unsurprising ease. Hiraikotsu was once more slung over the slender shoulder of Sango, who had no problem with the massive weapon and seemed to fight thrice as good as ever, if that was possible, even though both Kagome and Miroku assured her in their own particular ways that it wasn't her fault that she had gotten captured.
 
“If anything, we are to blame as well, Sango-chan.” Kagome said on the way home that night still. “We lowered our guard and you didn't - they took you because you were nearest to them. Don't feel bad about it.”
 
But it was somewhat of an insult to Sango´s professional pride, assuming she even had any pride at all; to be captured by youkai. She strived to be stronger and more vigilant from that moment on and proved her skill more than once on the battlefield since then. Of course, when they had arrived at the estate that night, Miroku, who had apparently been pacing from one corner of the room to the other for quite some time, launched himself at the taijiya and, forgetting obviously that Kagome and Kirara were in the room, grabbed her hands in an almost pathetically gallant gesture which he often used when asking random women to bear his child.
 
“Sango!” he called, his voice very close to a cry of rapture, though it was very difficult to tell whether it was a pure sentiment or mere theatrics. Still, he grasped her hands tightly. “Buddha has heard my prayers and returned you safely to me!”
 
Despite her slight annoyance, a blush found its way to Sango´s cheeks, making her armor seem pale in comparison. “D-don't be troubled, houshi-sama; we have escaped the trap through cooperation, there is no need to worry any longer.”
 
Kagome, who was watching the entire scene with mild eagerness - ignoring the fact that she was transparent for the moment to the eyes of the pair - moved stealthily away to the nearest chair and sat down, taking care to spy on them with expertise. This had been going on for quite some time now, the cat and mouse pursuit between the two of them, and Kagome always wondered when one of them would finally realize what was plain as daylight to her - that they were in love. Certainly, she had doubted for a while, especially concerning Miroku´s ability to commit himself to a single woman, but, in the end, the romantic soul in her won and she decided in their stead that they were perfect for each other.
 
It was a slightly theatrical motion, but not customary, when the monk pulled Sango into his embrace suddenly, still maintaining what Kagome secretly called his Buddha face - the one he used when employing his seasoned con artist skills on anyone, women included. Inwardly, the priestess hoped that this would not be the case.
 
“If something were to happen to you, I would never forgive myself.” Miroku said solemnly, still with the hint of an act, but sincere enough to make Sango´s face resemble a beet root in terms of color.
 
Romance was at hand, Kagome´s mind gleefully squealed, a noise which the priestess couldn't bring herself to make now. Unfortunately, romance remained out of hands reach, at least the kind that was suitable to young viewers and Sango´s tastes. Romance ended with a slap and the atmosphere which Kagome knew women valued above all else was ruined. Still, not even the large imprint of Sango´s hand on his face seemed to be able to ruin Miroku´s bliss this time and Kagome quickly changed the topic to the imprisonment itself before it could get any worse, if that was humanly possible.
 
Sango cooled down at the mention of it and retold, somewhat grudgingly still, what had happened after their separation. All in all, the full day she had spent in the settlement of the thieves had not been offensive in any way, merely not pleasant enough an experience to be remembered with anything but anger. She described Youko Kurama the best she could, putting information from her and her companions together with rumors and what she knew after they told her what the demons had said before they died.
 
“Please, have a seat.” Her still unidentified captor offered her the next day at about noon, when she was informed that her presence was requested. She had hardly expected any lavish chamber, and her expectations of the dwelling had not been exceeded, but she had also not anticipated the neat order all around her and the simple furnishings with little to indicate that she was dealing with anyone directed by greed.
 
I imagine I would be a poor host to you if I would deny you the opportunity to at least threaten me properly.” The kitsune continued after she sat down with a frown on her face, clearly not trusting one word that came from him. “I would also like to have a proper conversation with you regarding your companion, the priestess. You can surely understand that I am somewhat interested in her.”
 
At the mention of this, even Miroku began paying attention. “You didn't reveal anything that could endanger Kagome-sama, surely?” he asked carefully.
 
The taijiya shook her head fervently. “He didn't ask that, actually. I was surprised; I expected questions about the nature of Kagome-chan´s powers, but he didn't seem at all interested in that. Perhaps he knows enough - he was intelligent for a demon. That could mean trouble for us.”
 
Sango kept her expression wary. The fox demon didn't sit down himself, merely continued his observations of her, as if he wanted to read everything he needed to know from her expression.
 
“I will not help you.” she said flatly, with her best attempt at giving him the evil eye. “I have not the slightest reasons to tell you anything about Kagome-chan.”
 
It was a startling thing, to see a brief smile cross the demon's face. It somehow managed to avoid his eyes entirely. And they said that gold was a warm color. “No, you do not. But I also have not the slightest reason to keep my promises. How long have you and Kagome-san been companions?” The name came out very exotically, and not at all unpleasantly. It simply seemed… different.
 
“Why would you want to know that?” the taijiya asked, genuinely puzzled by the question. There seemed no point to it, at least not when she looked from the thief's point of view. Who in the world are you? An inner voice in her asked, but she refrained from voicing that out loud.
 
But she received an answer. “I am curious.” The kitsune noted in a softer voice. “And I would like to know who I have the honor of dealing with prior to encountering them.”
 
Know your enemy… Sango couldn't hold back the question any longer. “Just who are you?” she demanded. Her wonder at a demon had a slightly aggressive way of displaying itself, but she knew no other way. Her mind searched for any possible guesses she might make - she was certain she had heard about this demon somewhere, though she couldn't place the face to a name.
 
The smile she received was almost demure, as if to say that he was both flattered by the interest and saddened by the fact that she hadn't yet heard of him. “I am known as Youko Kurama. You might have heard of me as the King of Thieves in Makai. Or perhaps your Reikai princeling considers such things rumors only.” It turned into a barely contained sneer, the nearly kind expression. “Kurama will do, Sango-san.”
 
A beeping sound from Kagome´s robes broke their train of thought and the priestess hurriedly extracted the communication mirror. Perhaps they would finally get some good news - none of them was very pleased with the development of the situation at the present moment. To the relief of the trio, they were right this time. A familiar black-haired woman appeared on the other side, surrounded by many books and papers.
 
“We copy, Ayame-san. Have you finished with the sorting of the information?” Kagome asked hopefully.
 
“I'm afraid my news won't please you much.” Ayame said with a nod instead of an answer. “Being a legend now in Makai, Youko Kurama has one of the largest files available for viewing here and certainly one of the most tainted ones. There are rumors about sightings all over the place, exaggerated descriptions and missing data. From what I was able to gather, here's what could be of help to you. It isn't much, I'm afraid.”
 
And if they hoped Ayame was understating, they were wrong. They had gotten a physical description from Sango, which was a major plus, but adding to that the fact that fox demons were experts on disguise and trickery, it amounted to less than it would otherwise. All that they could discern, really, was that he was an expert on locks and puzzles and possessed an uncanny cool intellect that had allowed him to survive far longer than most demons in his place would have.
 
Now, several weeks later, back in Reikai, Kagome was the only one of them who still dwelled on the matter. She sincerely hoped that her arrow had succeeded in at least giving a warning to the daring thief to back off from his foolish mission. What was more, she pondered the words of Kuronue. Keeping the jewel is a possibility we might decide against… Youko Kurama was known for a love of puzzles. The more she thought about it, the more convincing her theory appeared to her: that the kitsune wanted to steal the jewel only to prove that he alone could do it. She saw and didn't appreciate the coldness with which he was willing to sacrifice his own men. That could have even been only a test to see if the pursuit of the jewel was actually worth his time. It made Kagome sad and a bit angry as well.
 
She had always been too fiery for her own good when someone dared underestimate her, but she had hoped that her long training had managed to tame such sentiments and impulses. Clearly, she was a bit wrong.
 
“Kagome-chan?” The miko turned to the door to see Sango standing there. When in Reikai, they weren't required to wear their usual traveling clothes and were actually offered a fine supply of more casual clothing, even such as they were told the current fashion in Ningenkai was. Nevertheless, each of them preferred the clothing they were used to, though it hadn't gone out of fashion in the human world entirely. Sango, for instance, was missing her primary weapon now and her armor had been replaced by a simple pink and green yukata.
 
Kagome glanced at the nearest clock, a look of alarm appearing quickly on her face. “It's that time already?” she jumped up from her chair, her train of thought entirely forgotten for the moment. They were supposed to meet Koenma personally that day, as it appeared something big had to be taken care of. And if there was anything the toddler lord was known for, it was screaming his lungs out at people who weren't there at his beck and call on time. Despite her importance, Kagome was no exception, though she often thought that the form the miniature god assumed at most times was very fitting.
 
The office of the Lord of Reikai had not changed in almost any way throughout the centuries, although it seemed that there was even more paperwork than ever there. His ogre assistant, whom Kagome had learned to address politely, tried to convince him to stamp another stack of papers before being chased away at the threat of spankings, which was considered a very severe punishment here in the offices.
 
As Miroku was already waiting and Koenma managed to kick out - semi-literally - any unwanted eyes and ears from the room, the Reikai lord cleared his throat importantly after he was given the respectful greetings from all three of his agents.
 
“I have called you here because we currently have several situations of crucial importance that need dealing with.” He began, a little pompously, but each word was clearly to be taken seriously. “The first is perhaps more important. It has come to our general attention that a group of four criminals have attempted to break into the Ningenkai. They are being pursued as we speak, but our forces need encouragement and a major kick in their backsides to get them running. Sango and Miroku, you will be dispatched to the breach in our forces and take the lead of the attack. I want them captured. Use whatever methods necessary.” Koenma added, floating up to Miroku´s height and giving him a pointed glance. “Now get going!”
 
“What about me?” Kagome inquired as the other two, recognizing the dangerous half-panicky, half-commanding undertone in the toddler lord's voice, refrained from questioning this and made their exit with a curt nod.
 
It seemed for a moment that Koenma was ignoring her, because he took his usual place behind his table and began tossing away some papers and searching for something she assumed was the remote. “I have a special case on which I want you, personally, Kagome.” He began, still not looking at the priestess while triumphantly fishing out a paper. “I want you to deal with this before going after the four beasts as well, because I know you'll handle this best.” Koenma said, giving her a pointed glance that dared her to say that he was wrong.
 
Mentally, Kagome gave a nervous little laugh, but outwardly, she appeared composed. “What is the mission?”
 
“We have been recently receiving reports of attacks of a particular demon in various parts of Makai. It wouldn't be anything non-standard, if it wasn't for the ferocity of the attacks and the seeming randomness of targets. No demands are made, no threats - what witnesses have survived seemed to claim that the youkai in question is in possession of a powerful demonic artifact which can be very destructive in the wrong hands; namely, his. A weapon of some kind… I think it was a sword.” Koenma glanced at the paper he was holding, which was apparently the file of the demon. “Yes, a sword. No idea what it looks like or what powers it has, but it obliterated a flock of attacking demons with one swipe. Oh, well.” The prince tossed the paper behind his back. “You'll deal with that well, I'm sure.”
The lack of details about the mission was somewhat disturbing, but Kagome took note to look for insanity and a sword, probably a large one, if it was to be noticed. “Do you have a particular location for me to look at?”
 
“Yes.” Koenma gave her the particular coordinates of the last attack. “The demon travels quickly, but he appears to move on foot. He should still be in the nearby area and will very likely be drawn to your powers and the jewel. Find him, subdue him and bring that sword back, if at all possible.”
“Subdue him?” the priestess asked, just to assure herself she had gotten the correct meaning of the word.
 
Koenma´s eyes narrowed briefly. “Yes, subdue him. Knock him out, seal him, purify him, kill him - I don't give a damn! Just stop him from killing anything and everything that strikes his fancy!”
 
Kagome almost cringed a bit at the change of his tone, as if she was the child in the room. When the pacifier started jumping up and down because of the toddler lord's yelling, it was always a bad sign. Outside, she discovered that Sango and Miroku had already gone, which saddened her a bit. And instead of anyone she knew, an unfamiliar but generally friendly-looking ferry girl with the most peculiar sky blue hair was waiting for her and produced a wide smile upon seeing her.
 
“You must be Kagome-sama. I have heard very much about you already. My name is Botan, I'm new here.” She was dressed in a very girlish color that Kagome would one day learn to identify as bubblegum pink, and the kimono didn't necessarily go too well with her hair, though it generally suited her amethyst-colored eyes. “Well, somewhat new.” Botan amended with a short but sincere laugh. “I got promoted and I'll be your general link to Reikai now that I'm considered reliable. Ayame-san got very busy with the archives and general paperwork, so I'm her replacement.”
 
The priestess saw that they were likely to get along very well, though Botan seemed slightly nervous still. “Congratulations then, Botan-san, but you don't have to defer to me. If we're a team now, we're equal in status.”
 
It seemed to ease the ferry girl's mood somewhat, though Kagome couldn't really tell. Botan seemed to cover any nervousness or unease with a bubbly personality, which worked exceptionally well. once they left the offices, the blue-haired girl - Kagome couldn't really find a proper term to describe Botan through her hair color with one word, such as one would do with a blonde or a brunette - had an oar materialize in her hand, much like the one Ayame had used the first time she had brought Kagome to the spirit world. In general, ferry girls were not needed to help her and the others with transportation to Reikai or Makai ever since they had Kirara, but now that they had been separated, it was likely necessary.
 
“I should ask Koenma for one of those myself.” Kagome said after they took off, with Botan steadily but speedily guiding the oar through the air. She seemed to be enjoying herself when flying and didn't mind the passenger's presence at all, even if it was a figure of importance.
 
Botan blushed a bit at the thinly veiled compliment, but didn't glance back. At first, she had not been so confident about the job of a guide across the river Styx - but once they threw the oar and the ability to fly into the deal, she had accepted. Now, some years later, she had finally risen in rank somewhat and was hoping to be head ferry girl one day, though that was still a long way in the future, at least in her opinion. But she had all the time in the world now. Being a reigen had its perks.
 
“I heard you've been having some trouble with thieves recently, demons wanting to steal the sacred jewel.” The ferry girl noted conversationally as they soared through the skies. She would have to remember to make a few twirls on her oar later. That would be fun. At the moment, her passenger was her priority - she could imagine the scene of Koenma screaming his lungs out at her if she came back with the soul of the priestess and the need for a new body for her because she, a relative novice, had wanted to show her a few flying tricks.
 
Kagome nodded, finding it easy to talk to someone in a positive mood.
 
“Yes, but we will be able to handle it well. If they choose to make another attempt to seize the jewel, we will be prepared for it.”
 
“Makai can be frightening at times.” Botan noted. “I don't go there often unless Koenma-sama makes me. The demons are often bloodthirsty and violent and I'm not really that much into fighting.”
 
“At least you can fly away when you need to. Are those oars specific to ferry girls only?”

”I think so, but I can ask if Koenma-sama could make an exception for you on solitary missions. I heard that you can get to Reikai no problem otherwise.”
 
“Yes, but now Sango-chan and Miroku-sama needed to take Kirara. She's a nekomata that is able to fly, a tamed demon, if you will, though she is more of a friend and companion to us. Thanks to her abilities, she is useful both in combat and for transportation. We'd be in for some hard times without her.”
 
“Really? Could you tell me about some of your battles? I've never heard a first-hand account of such things… it must be dangerous.”
 
It was actually quite easy to talk to Botan - easier, perhaps, than to talk to Sango and Miroku, who were both also burdened by their duties in Reikai and Makai. And none of them had been in the Ningenkai for many years. It was refreshing to hear about the human world from someone who visited it, unfortunately, often. Being a shinigami was sometimes sad, Botan told her, but it was rewarding work, in the end.
 
They finally reached their destination and Kagome hopped to the ground from the oar while Botan steadied it.
 
“I have a link to your communication mirror, so you should be able to contact me when you're done here.” the ferry girl said cheerfully. “Just… well, be careful. I heard that you're very powerful, Kagome-san, but waltzing into the Makai alone is dangerous in any case.”

Kagome smiled. “I'll take care, Botan-san, don't worry. I'll remain in this area in case you need to find me. I should be done with this within the hour.”

”All right!” Botan smiled. “Take care!” she said and took off into the skies, waving to the priestess before vanishing from sight.
 
The plains of Makai were as desolate as ever, and Kagome felt whirlwinds of youki from a distance, though it wasn't too close. In a way, she had no need for pursuit - her target would come to her, eventually. Instead of going through the trouble of searching, she employed a method that had sprung up in the mind of Miroku and which the two of them employed whenever possible or needed. Of course, it would have been somewhat more effective if there were two of them, but the monk had, aside from a great power, also a certain impurity in him, which hindered the complete effect slightly.
 
Kagome sat down in the middle of a meadow, with no creature within sight at the moment, as peacefully as she would have done in the living world. Clasping her hands together in her lap, she relaxed completely and projected her own energy into the darkness surrounding her. The result was a small bubble around her body, a holy barrier, the purpose of which was both repelling and attracting. In Makai, it was as visible as if one had dropped a pineapple into a basket of cherries.
 
The effect was immediate; the surroundings began to feel very disturbed, almost troubled, and small demons that were too low on the food chain to be considered sentient were coming out of their hiding spots to take a short peek at what was going on. One or two approached the barrier and tried to penetrate it, but when the others saw the major burn mark it left on the few brave volunteers, they chose to leave on their own accord.
 
On and on Kagome meditated, and the area around her became demon-free after some minutes, as if the residents of the plains had taken temporary or permanent leave, due to the sudden surge of holy power around them. She searched for an unfamiliar and hostile aura with the tinge of instability or insanity that would be more extreme in the particular demon she sought, reaching out with her meditative powers. Perhaps it was minutes, perhaps it took hours, but the demon finally arrived.
 
His presence in the energy surrounding her was very different from the others, but also from what the priestess had expected. True, there was something bordering on instability or perhaps insanity there, but it didn't stray behind the line it maintained, the line between sane and insane. There was a pattern to the instability, along with the great sadness outmatched only by blind anger that was also present. The demon sensed that he was being observed and consciously showed the skill to seal his thoughts from her current reach.
 
The priestess opened her eyes slowly to survey the steps filled with caution that approached her and observed the demon just as he stopped several meters in front of her, deceptively human-looking in most ways. The difference was that his hands and feet, both bare, had sharp claws; his hair, longer and straighter than that of Kagome, was completely white and his face, though human-shaped, was marked with magenta stripes on either cheek. His eyes were a most unnatural color, the whites being a fiery shade of red. The general menacing effect was great and marred only by one small detail - or rather, two. Two triangle-shaped, fur-covered and overall nothing if not cute ears crowning his head. Kagome´s fingers twitched briefly, causing the barrier to flicker the slightest bit.
 
It seemed the demon needed no further encouragement. With a guttural growl, he began to hack and claw at the barrier with a strong attack of his bare hands that actually caused Kagome to redouble her efforts. She rather hoped that the barrier would knock him out on its own if she centered her energy in it, but she was sadly mistaken. The demon reeled back in pain but didn't let out a howl that would have matched his canine nature.
 
Instead, he gave it another try, just to see if something had changed, to no effect. But the priestess felt the impact and saw that she had somewhat underestimated the strength of the youkai. He was in a state of frenzy but even so managed to create a strategy - and with his bloodied hands, he struck another blow in the barrier that Kagome deflected. What in the world was going on? Who was this demon… he felt no pain, though blood was dripping from his hands; he felt no fear even as he drove again and again into the barrier. Perhaps he truly was crazed.
 
How deeply wrong Kagome was. seeing that claws weren't the way to go, the demon reached out for what the priestess hadn't yet noticed or paid too much attention to - there was actually a sword hanging from his belt. But it seemed a rusted old trinket; certainly no legendary demonic weapon with powers unknown. She had been so focused on assessing his own youki that that of the sword went unnoticed by her… and she finally discovered that it had been a mistake she might not live to regret.
 
With a ferocious roar, the demon lifted the rusty sword, which seemed to recognize the call of its master and transformed at his beck and call. From the hilt to the tip of it, a golden flash of light passed, transforming the aged katana into the wide and sharp blade of a sword that was vaguely fang-shaped. The priestess felt her eyes widen under the curtain of black hair that obscured them from the demon's view. The sword was pulsing with energy in the youkai´s hands and slowly took on a reddish tinge that matched its wielder's eyes. The demon raised it and Kagome shut her eyes tight in concentration. Despite the barrier, she felt a strange thing… fear, was it? But the barrier she formed couldn't be broken so easily. Not by one hit of a sword.
 
How wrong she was again.
 
Her body, while not that of a mortal anymore, could feel pain as much as a human could. Even through her closed eyes she saw the flash of light as the reddish energy of the blade collided with her violet-colored barrier and struggled only for a second. Then there was something sharp piercing her skin, the fabric of her haori, and her shoulder began to bleed. Kagome was thrown back by the impact of the sword - fortunately, or else she would have been missing an arm at the current moment.
 
She attempted to scramble to her feet and equip her bow, but it was knocked out of her shaking hand and sliced in two by one sound strike of the sword. Her arrows were useless now and the hit caused her to misplace her equilibrium again and fall flat on her back. She never got another chance to attempt to get up, as the demon immediately gripped her by the throat and raised her head, in a clear attempt to crush her spine. Hair swept down from her face and she got a closer glimpse of the crazed demon's face than she would have wanted.
 
In a rare moment of fear, Kagome thought that it was the end if she couldn't get proper hold of him and send some of her power into his body, which was a draining technique for her. But then, the fierce expression on the demon's face changed rapidly. Anger turned into comprehension of something she couldn't see and the blood red orbs were filled with great disbelief and something akin to… hope? In any case, they were fixed on her countenance and taking in every detail of her features, almost as if she were to transform into someone else at any moment.
 
In a flash, she almost screamed as the demon literally launched himself at her, crushing her in an embrace that lifted her upper body from the ground. Clawed hands dug into the fabric of her haori, but didn't scratch her skin. She then felt something wet through the fabric on her shoulder where the demon's head was rested, almost like a lost puppy. Kagome didn't dare breathe. There was possessiveness in the whole gesture, but something in it also meant…meant…
 
Don't leave me…
 
And then, quite close to her ear, she heard a coherent voice that was very different from the gruff roars of minutes past, forming a word that seemed to be caressed with fear, love and longing at the same time.
 
“Kikyo…”
 
X X X
 
AN: Dun dun dun! And yes, I know all of you are aware of who that is. I just wanted to give you a final hint. It took me ages to discover how to insert you-know-who into this story and, in the end, I decided that this was the best way. Incidentally, the sword is present, yes, but its sealing powers have weakened because… well, once you know the back-story, you'll understand everything. But… not yet! Hehe. Anyway, feel free to review now!