Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkling Winter ❯ What a Mockery ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Sengoku Otogizoushi - InuYasha nor the Dark Hunter series. Inuyasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, Viz Media, ShoPro Entertainment, and Shounen; while the Dark Hunter series belongs to Sherrilyn Kenyon. No profit or monies of any kind are made from this fan-created crossover.
Warnings: AR for Inuyasha (Kagome never returns after three years); Set three years before Talon's book; mature content; mature language.

~ * ~ * ~

Title: Darkling Winter
Chapter Four: What a Mockery

"Kisses are like tears: the only ones that are real are the ones you can't hold back."
Written as a gift-fic for Ryukotsusei.

~ * ~ * ~

Kagome eyed the quiver full of arrows that Talon was holding out to her suspiciously. It seemed like an odd sort of olive branch, one she wasn't entirely sure she should accept. Had she still been that naive fifteen-year old time-traveler, she would not have thought twice about accepting it. Yet New Orleans was not Japan, Talon was not Inuyasha, and the situation had nothing to do with the shikon no tama. She was a twenty-something young woman who knew better than to take kindness on this continent at face value. Kindness was never just kindness; it held unspoken agreements and it hid dark desires. In this new supernatural world full of undead Dark Hunters, vampire-esque Daimons and Spathi and Apathi, and her soul hung in the balance.

Losing to a Daimon would mean that she would lose her soul. For forever this time, not temporarily like when Kikyou stole part of hers. No, this time her entire soul was at stake.

And if she lost to Talon, she was sure she would be tossed out to the corner after one amazing night. Mama was forgiving and understanding, but she didn't think she would be much of either in that situation. Killing off youkai in the past was entirely different from one passionate night with an undead man who was too sexy for his own good. Higurashi women didn't have sex with men willy-nilly, no matter how undeniably attractive they were. Nor did they kiss just any man.

Yet she almost had. And had he wanted more than just a kiss, she wasn't sure she would be able to say no. Nor was she sure that she would want to say no.

She crossed her arms, self-conscious about how her orange tank-top looked on her in front of someone else, yet she never took her eyes off his offering. "What's this?"

Had Talon been a lesser man, she was certain he would sighing in frustration at her. Instead he slipped on his black shades, completing the biker look even more. And with the way his two braids fell from his left temple down to his chest, he looked darkly delicious. "It's a quiver full of arrows. Do you keep your bow around for decoration?"

She snatched the quiver from him, almost managing to toss a few arrows out of it. "I know what it is," she snapped. She sighed and let go of her anger just as soon as it had appeared. There was something in the way Talon looked at her or talked toward her that brought out the worst in her. Not even Inuyasha managed to do what he did, but then he didn't hold so much of himself back like Talon did. Perhaps that was it. But no matter the reason, she did promise herself that she would try harder to be nicer to him. He did save her life, and was now going out of his way even more to help her out. "I do know how to handle a bow and I know what a quiver is. What I am asking is why are you giving it to me?"

"Your quiver and arrows were destroyed the other night during the fight. I had Nick find a suitable replacement."

She smiled and shook her head. He may have destroyed her arrows the other night, but she was more than certain he didn't destroy her quiver. That had happened beforehand, all because of the last Daimon she faced. Though she was touched with the gesture, now what she knew it stood for. A gift to fix what had been broken was more than acceptable and better than many other things such a gesture could be. And at the same time she felt slightly foolish: one had to take only one look at Talon to know he didn't need gifts to woo a woman, all he had to do was look at them. He wasn't the kind of man who had to work to get a woman; a woman had to work to get him.

"Thank you, the gesture is very kind. Though you didn't need to replace my quiver, a Daimonn broke that earlier," she said, throwing the quiver over her shoulder next to where her bow was.

He looked at her for a second, or so she thought. It was hard to tell given that he was hiding behind such dark glasses. It seemed unnecessary given that it was night, but Talon was far from normal. It reminded her of her current state of dress and she once again crossed her arms. She hated that she was stuck wearing such a shirt in front of him, though thankfully she didn't have to wear the jean short-shorts. Whoever had packed her backpack had been kind enough to find a pair of black leggings and a denim skirt from her younger days. It was quite a bit more appropriate for Daimon-hunting with someone else.

And for some reason, she felt as if his eyes moved to stare at her chest after she crossed her arms. That feeling of being stared at coupled with the incident that had happened only moments before had a healthy blush coloring her face. She hadn't forgotten what it had felt like to be only seconds away from being kissed senseless by him. Even now, her eyes darted to his lips that she knew had to be firm yet soft, a warm passion in cold caress.

Only when he looked away did she feel that the spell had been broken. She licked her lips, turning her head physically away from him, "So, what is the plan?"

"You're going to be the bait. There's still about three hours before sunrise, should be more than enough time," he said, causing her to furrow her brow in confusion over something he said. She didn't entirely understand his usage of bait.

"You want me to... lure out the Spathi.. Apathi?" she said, her accent catching on the word lure as she was sure he might not want her harassing the Daimon.

He crossed his arms, the leather of his painted Harley jacket creaking in protest, "Is there a problem with that?"

She turned away from him abruptly, her face aflame. It certainly explained the choice of clothing in her backpack, one she wasn't sure could be blamed entirely on her other clothes being ruined. Though she may have owned them and may have nearly wantonly kissed Talon, she wasn't that sort of woman! "Wanna-be killer or not, I don't go around enticing or leading anyone on!" she said, her voice a little shrill from embarrassment.

She could hear him pause, which was very odd. It was only a second, yet it passed far too slowly and soon he was walking over to her. Given her embarrassment, she dared not look up at him and see any disapproving look from him. However she soon found out he would have none of that. For once in the past few days, his hands were gentle in dealing with her as he lifted her head by her chin. From such a close distance, she could see through the dark lenses and into his deep eyes that held no scorn or mocking. As always, they held an unfathomable depth that she could only scratch. And now, her blush was there for an entirely different reason. His hand was warmer than she had thought.

"I'm not asking that of you. I'm asking that your soul draws him out of hiding. This time, we'll be prepared."

He let go of her chin as she nodded. Though he had taken away most of her embarrassment and hadn't teased her over her mix up of word meanings, she still felt rather silly. As if Talon would ask something like that of her! Well, maybe if it was in regards to him. But no, she wasn't going to think like that. Not when there was a threat to kill. He turned and walked away, fully expecting her to follow after him. The man was too much like Kouga and Sesshoumaru in the way he moved and talked and ordered people about.

If only because she had no clue as to where exactly she was or where it was Talon lived, she ran after him to catch up.

~ * ~ * ~

She was sure they looked like quite the sight that night as they sped through town. His golden hair and dark clothes blending in to her dark hair and dark clothes. A biker driving his warm body for the night straight through it. And then there was her, the "warm body" who had a long bow and a quiver full of arrows on her back. Not quite the normal sight anyone would have been used to seeing. Yet no one was really out. It being that time of night in-between the different crowds and they were on some questionable side-streets.

Once again, she had her arms wrapped tightly around him to keep from falling off. She had been thrown from a motorcycle once, she didn't want to make it twice. Painful, bloody meetings between her and the unforgiving concrete of New Orleans were becoming a very bad habit. One she didn't like or appreciate in any sense.

Despite her new-found fear, she had her saigo-yumi easily accessible. To take down the one after her, she didn't exactly need an arrow, just something sharp. It was the only way she could channel her hama no reiryoku, being as untrained as she was. And fights for one's life can only teach so much, and definitely not control. As Talon had said earlier that night, this time they wouldn't be caught off-guard. Even though she had her face pressed tight against his back, she still had all her senses open.

She didn't need eyes in order to tell when a Daimon was around.

This time, she didn't brush off the feeling of the hairs on the back of her neck raising as the cold wind. She recognized it for what it was. He slowed his bike down when her hand squeezed his bicep.

She leaned forward and up, getting as close to his ear as she dared to while on a moving bike, "There's one to the right fairly close by."

He nodded his head before pulling to the side and bringing his motorcycle to a complete stop. With shaky legs, she hopped off it. She was glad to be on the ground on her own two feet more than she knew how to express. And she was sure Talon could tell.

He strode past her with smooth, confident steps, "Stay back and keep your bow ready."

And she was more than happy to comply. Though she disliked him telling her what to do with such a tone, the view more than made up for it. Could she blame Miroku for passing on his appreciation of a good derriere onto her? Possibly. Yet it was something she blamed entirely on Talon for being so in shape and wearing leather pants. He was asking for her to stare.

However even she was not stupid enough to lose herself in such a sight before a fight. And she noticed how his hand went to where he had to have his primary weapon, ready to draw it at a moment's notice. She, too, kept a tight hand on her saigo-yumi, the quiver and arrows nearly forgotten if not for their weight against her shoulder and back. All her senses were on alert, yet she could only pay half-attention to the danger they were coming upon. The rest was focused on Talon; the way he walked, the scent of him that wafted back towards her (more so since she now knew exactly what he smelled like)...

She shook her head and took a deep breath. It was not the place for her mind to be heading, especially not with how much stronger she could sense the Daimon. They were very close, though something seemed very off. She quickened her pace, so that she was closer to him and could more easily keep her voice down, "Do you notice that?"

His head tilted towards her in the slightest of movements, allowing her just a glance at his face before he looked straight ahead again, "Yes. Your Apathi will probably close in from behind hoping will be distracted with some inkblots."

Kagome tilted her head at the strange term, but knew it wasn't the time to ask for clarification. She tightened her grip on her saigo-yumi, a near grin on her face as she felt the sensation become even heavier in the back of her mind, "Then that settles who deal with who. Have fun with your inkblots."

She was sure she heard Talon curse, but she had timed it well given how close she could sense the Daimons were. His lower class opponents were two and appeared first, keeping his attention. When this was over with, she had a feeling he might be sorely tempted to kill her himself. She turned after making sure he was occupied, coming face to face with the Spathi -- or Apathi, no one knew anything -- that was trying to murder her. It was depressing how horribly he had failed at it so far; the Band of Seven in the past had nearly succeeded on their first try. And so had many others.

Looking at him and his less than intimidating presence, given that he was too much elegance and beauty and not enough killing intent, she couldn't find it in herself to be entirely afraid. After some of the things she had faced down and killed, including Naraku, the man in front of her was too...ningen.

Could he kill her? Quite possibly.

Did she think he would actually succeed? Not really.

If all else failed, she was more than certain Talon would be there to save her. Not that she ever expected to be that weak, young girl ever again. She was a woman and she could save herself most of the time these days. One had to learn, after all, when their hanyou savior was five-hundred years in the past.

She didn't realize that she had actually sighed out loud, and that it had been easy to tell she was disappointed. Given the fight she could hear behind her, she should have given Talon the so-called Spathi. Yet she knew this was the one they had sent to kill her; one of his hands was badly burned. It brought back vague memories of him trying to grab her head only to have her hama no reiryoku burn him.

"Not on the bike this time? Pity."

Kagome sighed again, "I figured it would be more interesting to be standing. Perhaps you could kill me now."

"Bitch, I let you go that time," he snarled, his beautiful face contorting into something twisted and ugly. Had he not done that, she might have thought him beautiful enough to be on par with Sesshoumaru, Kouga, or Talon. But the darkness inside him has twisted the outer appearance. She could feel only a little pity for him: he had been cursed to die, but he had chosen to become what he was. And he had chosen to try and kill her.

"Behind you!" Talon shouted, and only reflexes from the past allowed her to throw herself out of the way in time to miss being hit with one of the Daimons.

She looked to her side to see that Talon had already killed off one of his opponents. He worked fast, she had to give him that. Yet she soon heard a foreboding crack, one that she never wanted to hear.

Her opponent, gripping the end of her bow that wasn't in her hands, had broken it off. He grinned, flashing a dangerous pair of fangs at her as he tossed the almost-half of her bow to the side. "Don't think I don't know what you can do with it and without arrows," he said, gripping the back of her tank-top this time. "I'm not as stupid as you think I am."

From her elevated and uncomfortable position, she could see over his shoulder to Talon. She wasn't entirely sure how he did it, though she knew he had to use some sort of power or ability, but he had killed his other Daimon. Well, now she felt entirely incompetent. Talon had been killing and she had been chatting. Hadn't she once made fun of those villains who talked instead of killed the hero with her brother?

She had fallen into a cliche, yet she was determined to break it.

Though he may have been smarter than some of the others she had faced, he was really stupid to think that the way to break her connection with her bow was to break it. Instead, he gave her two weapons though she would only need one. And she knew Talon was close to killing him as well, which just wouldn't do. Was it possible for such an arrogant and cocky wanna-be Spathi to break her bow? It boggled her mind to no end.

She readjusted the grip she had on her broken bow and stabbed it through his sternum, "Man, you are stupid."

He glanced down at the broken tip in his stomach, "Do you really think that would kill me?"

"No," she shook her head. "But I think this will." She dredged up her hama no reiryoku and channeled it through the broken bow as Talon, using a dagger she had never noticed before, sliced into his neck. It was for naught though, as the second her hama no reiryoku entered his body, he disintegrated.

She straightened and grimaced at some of the blood that had landed on her. While she lamented the loss of her bow, she was glad to be alive no matter how she had to shake her head at the ridiculousness of the creature that had been sent to kill her. It was honestly laughable, "What a joke..."

~ * ~ * ~

Talon rearranged his dagger back into his srad and stared at the pile of ash that had caused him so much trouble. It stung at his pride that he had underestimated Kagome enough for her to so easily kill him. But he would rather not focus on that, instead he pinned Kagome with a stare he knew she could see given the way she fidgeted.

"What?" she nearly stuttered. "Don't give me such looks. He's dead and I'm OK."

She turned to focus on her broken bow, the string connecting the two pieces. Even he knew from looking at it that it had to have been hand-crafted, a one of a kind piece. But such was what happened when she underestimated even Apathi. She was lucky it didn't get her killed like it did to the damn inkblot. While he knew he had to bring out the worst in her at times, she had a way of bringing out all the emotions he kept locked away deep within.

"Had you been anymore cocky, you could have been the one dead. What do you have to be thinking to turn and face something that can take your soul? You have to be one of the most reckless women I have ever met," he said, keeping his voice level.

She straightened and glared at him, her unique eyes narrowed in anger. Her arms crossed carelessly this time, accentuating her breasts more than she had to realize.

That woman... He swore that if he ever noticed a gray hair, it would be entirely her fault. And he would let her know before he fixed it with biokinesis.

"Yet I'm not," she said, trying to keep her voice level as well. The way her nose scrunched up as she glared rather ruined the picture of anger she could have been. "I am not stupid enough as to get killed. I don't see what the problem is!"

He stalked over to her, causing her eyes to widen and her to back up. She needed a good dose of respect in her as he didn't tolerate it when Nick talked to him in such ways. "You are the problem," he said, barely managing to not hiss it out.

Her broken bow fell to the ground at her feet as her eyes flashed with old hurt. He was not one for sugar-coating the truth, nor was he known for being comforting. What he had said had been the truth, and she needed to own up to it. She had been the ones pissing off the Daimons enough to send such a fake Spathi after her, which she should take as an insult; she had been the one who had butted into his life, even if it was just as his usual waitress; and she had been the one who could have died had the Apathi been a little less cocky and more cognizant of the threat she posed.

The hurt on her face disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, yet she refused to look at him, "What does it matter to you? I am just someone who will be out of your life in a few days, or even tonight."

He had not had to think about why he cared so much about her well-being before. No one had brought it up and he had carefully avoided the thought. Aside from her soul, he shouldn't care about her. Aside from the fact that she was mortal and a large target, he shouldn't have involved himself beyond that.

Yet he had.

He knew that her eyes had gray in them, and that her hair shown blue under certain lights. He knew that she had a special sashay when she walked away after their bantering. And he knew that even know, after a somewhat bloody battle, she still smelled of his soap. A way she shouldn't smell and still be around him, as dark Hunters were encouraged to keep their relationships to one-nighters. And he couldn't do that to her. He wanted her for keeps; after all it wasn't everyday he found a woman capable of teasing him and walking away on top of being able to protect herself.

He couldn't exactly classify her under the same category as other mortals, too.

She looked so much like she had earlier that night, with her hair falling in soft curls around her shoulders and her eyes larger than normal. And that shirt... He really shouldn't have let her walk out of his door wearing it. It would have looked so much better being removed with his teeth. And even better than that would have been on the floor in front of his bed.

God, he hated how she could do that to him. With one innocent look, she could take away all his ire toward her and replace it with everything indecent enough to remove it from her face.

Only now, he had no reason for why he shouldn't do what he wanted to do.

He bent over enough to find her lips with his own. He could kill two birds with one stone, teaching her exactly why she mattered to him and finally getting to put her lips to a much better use. She did have a habit of talking too much, especially when angry. And her lips turned out to be all that he had imagined: soft, pliable. Just like he knew she could be at times.

Though he was surprised when it was her who leaned forward, her hand coming to rest against his neck. The rest of her body followed, coming to rest snugly against all his hard muscle. All those heated looks and teasing hadn't been his imagination nor one-sided. It made it so much easier to lose himself in it all, especially the way she fit against him and how good she smelled when she smelled like him. It wasn't as strong as it had been, and he planned to fix it. The close to rising sun finally worked in his favor, especially since Kagome had no where to go save back to his place.

And he had a much better use for his bed than sleeping in it.

No matter what happened after that night, he wasn't going to let Kagome go easily. She was worth more than one-night, and he had no doubt she wasn't looking for a one-nighter either. Otherwise, it would have happened so much sooner.

~ * ~ * ~

And so, this is the end of this story. It honestly ended a chapter earlier than I had intended as the fifth chapter (it was mostly smut, and slightly tacky smut too) was chewed up in the editing process and I was able to attach what was left to the end of this one. I hope no one is upset by how everything went, especially with the Apathi. I did my best to hint at the fact that he wasn't going to be the most challenging of opponents, and I hope I managed in that. If not... Well, I can only offer up my deepest apologies.
And thank you to all who have reviewed this story and enjoyed it. I hope it didn't disappoint, and I do hope you enjoyed it, Ryukotsusei.


Shikon no Tama: lit. Base of the Soul/Spirit
Youkai: demon(s); lit. Magical Creature(s)
Saigo-yumi: lit. Priestess Bow
Hama no reiryoku: lit. Purifying Spirit Power
Inkblots: a derogatory term for Daimons
Ningen: lit. Humanoid(s)
Hanyou: Half-demon; lit. Half-magical