D. Gray-man Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Redmeption ❯ Second Night: Look to Tomorrow ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello again! Thank you for the reviews! School will be starting soon so I won't have too much time to write. Anyways, here's the second chapter of Silent Redemption! Enjoy!
Disclaimer: I don't own D. Gray-man or Inuyasha!
Last Chapter:
The man smiled faintly. “Good girl, you'll become my apprentice. I have another one your age. His story is quite similar to yours. My name is Cross Marian.
With that, General Cross walked away. Kagome stood up and started to slowly follow him. Then she stopped and turned back to the grave and silently made a promise.
Second Night: Look to Tomorrow
Kagome followed General Cross to the house where he was staying. By then, the walk had more or less restored Kagome. It had also given her a chance to think about what she had done and what she was going to do.
`I know that I did the right thing. If I had let Dad stay an Akuma, he would have been forced to kill even though he is gentlest person I know. He would have suffered so much living like that. I can't let my family's death stop me from living my life. I know that they would have wanted me to continue on and to never give up. So I vow to never look back and to always go forward. '
After these contemplations, Kagome felt much better and a great deal more positive about her future. Then they arrived at the house.
Allen Walker was having serious doubts about his ability to stay both alive and sane as Cross' apprentice. Today he had worked for hours trying to pay the bills, but when he had come back, Master had racked up even more debt.
`Maybe I should just run away or something. At this rate, I'll die from exhaustion and from having to take care of Rosanne.'
At that last thought Allen gave an involuntary shudder and looked at the man-eating plant that was sitting on the windowsill. He could have sworn the flower had licked its lips while looking at him.
Suddenly, Master Cross crashed open the door and bellowed, “Oi! Stupid apprentice! Meet your new fellow apprentice!”
Allen slowly stood up from where he had fallen when Master Cross had slammed open the door.
`I feel sorry for this new apprentice. I wonder how he or she got caught in Master's web?' For a minute, Allen entertained the thought of Master as a hideously huge spider on a huge web, reeling in unsuspecting people to earn money for him and to borrow money from (and never return it).
He walked into the main room and was surprised to see a slight girl the same age as he was. She was very slight and fragile-looking, which was made even more so by her pale skin and large blue eyes. Her black-blue shoulder length hair was slightly disheveled looking and her black dress was covered in what looked like dust. All in all, this person didn't look like she could survive being an Exorcist, much less being Master Cross' apprentice!
“Idiot apprentice! Pay attention when I'm talking to you!” Allen's reverie was broken by Cross' voice and he snapped to attention.
“As I was saying, this is Kagome Higurashi. She will be your fellow apprentice. Tell her about the basics.” With that Cross left the room, probably to go drink and spend more money.
Kagome regarded the boy in front of her after General Cross left the room. He looked to be about the same age as she was and was a few inches taller than her. He had a slight frame for a boy and pale skin. He also had snow-white hair, which Kagome found strange but well, who knows. He had soft gray eyes and a scar with a pentagram over his left eye. Kagome could sense that it was cursed but didn't ask since it would be rude. His left arm was a reddish color and had a cross imbedded in it.
`It's similar to mine. Maybe he can tell me more about it.'
“Ah um, hello. My name is Allen Walker. How do you do?” The boy bowed as he introduced himself.
“Pleased to meet you. I'm Kagome Higurashi.” Kagome bowed also.
“Um, well, since you're going to be Master's apprentice too, I guess I should warn you about his habits.”
Kagome was confused and said so. Allen cleared it up very nicely by going into a rant about his Master's shortcomings.
“He never pays his bills and forces me to work all day to pay them. Then he takes all of the money and goes off to spend it all gambling or drinking. He's a moral-less womanizer who doesn't care one-wit for others! He also told me to take care of this man-eating plant without telling me anything about it! He's also a horrible teacher! He doesn't actually teach you anything, he just throws you straight into battle without any instructions and sits under a tree drinking whiskey while you fight for your life!” Allen finished ranting, panting slightly from the long-winded speech. Kagome sweatdropped.
`Wow, he must have suffered a lot under General Cross. Now I'm slightly scared. Okay, make that very scared.'
“What have I gotten myself into?” she wondered aloud.
“I suggest you run while you can, before Master gets his claws into you.” Kagome shook her head.
“No, I won't run. I don't really have anywhere else to go and I promised myself that I would become an Exorcist. I want to free the Akuma's souls from their suffering.”
Allen started. “What do you mean?”
“Well, I can see the souls of people, and that includes the Akuma. Ss when my father became an Akuma, I could see that he was crying in sadness for what he would be forced to do. I don't want others to have to go through that.”
Allen was in shock; here was another person who could see the souls of the Akuma. But then he thought back to her other words.
“So you can see the souls of ordinary people too?”
“Yes, though I haven't activated my ability so right now.”
Allen hesitated. “Do you know what my soul is like?” he asked haltingly.
Kagome looked at Allen and activated her ability. Her eyes became an icy silver color and her pupils disappeared. Allen was now covered by light and she could see that his soul was pure. Kagome returned her eyes to normal.
“Your soul is one of the purest I've ever seen. I hope that it stays that way.” Kagome smiled gently at Allen.
“Thank you.” To Allen's embarrassment, he started to cry. He hadn't heard such kind and gentle words since Mana died.
“Are you alright?” asked Kagome in a concerned voice. Allen wiped his eyes and smiled in an embarrassed way.
“Yeah, I'm okay”
Over the next few hours, Kagome and Allen bonded and became very good friends. They told each other their stories and comforted each other. However, this peaceful time was broken by Master Cross coming in and announcing that they would be leaving. The three set out (well, it was more like Cross set out and dragged his two apprentices with him) and traveled the world for the next three years. Kagome and Allen were forced to pay all of the bills and debts that Cross accumulated. They both learned to cheat at poker but Allen was better at it and was a bit more obsessed with winning. This could be because he had been stuck with Cross longer but who knows.
Then finally, in India, Cross abandoned Kagome and Allen after telling them that they were to go to the Dark Religious Order, other wise known as the Black Order. He was supposed to accompany them, but, well, he didn't. Instead he knocked them out and left them Timcanpy. So, in the end, the apprentices set out by themselves and were quite happy to be free of Master Cross, of whom both of them had developed an immense fear.
I know that the ending was a bit weird but, bear with me here. I ran out of ideas. Anyways, hope you liked it! As always, please review! By the way, I think the pairing's going to be either Kanda x Kagome, Allen x Kagome, or Allen x Kagome x Kanda. Ja!