D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ scowls and smiles ❯ insensitivity and cruelness ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scowls and Smiles
Chapter Two:
 
Allen was a little creeped by the cook's behavior, but the man's superb cooking more than made up for it. Finder watched in mild disgust as he eagerly swallowed mouthful by delicious mouthful. For the first time in his life, he ate to his content, patting his stomach happily. He looked up in surprise as the cafeteria was sealed in silence, but the cause of it deepened it. Kanda was being yelled at, perhaps even threatened, but the expression on the youth's face was dangerously cold and calm, even more than Allen's first glimpse of him yesterday night.
 
“I said,” Kanda enunciated with a bored, superior air, “talking about the deceased spoils a meal.” The other man snarled, launching a punch, and its target-Kanda's face. Allen stood up abruptly as long fingers wrapped around a thick neck. The Japanese youth was smirking, his silvery black eyes dancing with sadistic mirth, and a string of cruel words sprung forth from his mouth. Allen didn't understand how rotten a man could become only overnight, or maybe the sweet personality he saw yesterday was simply an illusion, but that didn't make much sense.
 
Allen gripped Kanda's wrist painfully tight as white foam dribbled down the finder's chin, and Kanda's cold gaze turned murderous. Allen shivered, and couldn't find any recognition in those dark eyes. “Don't you think you're going a bit overboard?” he asked quietly. The Asian regarded him coolly.
 
“What do you think you're doing, Moyashi?” Allen's grip slackened a bit before tightening again.
 
“Moyashi? My name's Allen.” Had he really misjudged the older boy so much?
 
Kanda's lips curled up into a cruel smirk. “There are many people here that die often. If you can stay alive for one month, I'll remember your name.” That was it. Allen decided that yesterday was yesterday, and today, Kanda was beyond an insensitive jerk. Is it alright if I hate him? He thought, squeezing Kanda's hand in a crushing grip. The brunet's lightly brown hand shook, and his eyes blazed a bright white color.
 
“You shouldn't say things like that,” Allen said.
 
“Go hurry up and die.” Kanda's voice was rough, quiet, and barely contained. “I hate people like you.”
 
“I'll take that as a compliment,” Allen retorted. They were called over by River and Linalee, who offered them 10 more minutes to finish their meals, but Allen went anyway. His appetite felt spoiled, all because of an ill-tempered Japanese boy. Arriving in Komui's office, River leaned over the Chinese scientist's desk, whispering “Linalee's getting married”. Komui awoke, tears streaming down his face as he wailed, clutching the thoroughly embarrassed young girl. Allen sat as far away as humanly possibly from Kanda on the two-seater, refusing to look the other's way, and he was sure Kanda was doing the same.
 
“The both of you will be working on this mission.” The words rang in Allen's ears. He and Kanda froze, turned their heads to stare at each other, and then at Komui with outrage. “What? You already made enemies of each other?” he said jokingly. The rest of the words that tumbled out of the Chinese man may as well have been gibberish. I'm going on my first mission, and I'm going to work… with that jerk? No way! The though itself was simply too horrific to process.