D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Crystal Memory ❯ What Happened in the Cabin, pt. 1 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

`So what're you gonna do about Risa?' Dark asked way too cheerfully.
`I don't know!' Daisuke responded as he ran like a madman towards the cabin. Panting, he reached the door and collapsed. `What am I doing…?' Daisuke asked himself. `If I reject Risa… everyone'll know about me and Dark… but Satoshi is the one I like.'
Sighing, Dark said, `Yeah, but now Riku and you are on bad terms, and, judging by the what Satoshi said…'
Daisuke's throat tightened. He had totally forgotten about that. He stood up but then sat back on the ground in front of the cabin door again. His head was spinning. Riku, Risa, Satoshi… he already had enough stress trying to steal things with Dark and not get caught.
Tears began to form in his eyes. `I'm such an idiot!' he thought. `I thought having Dark around would make me stronger, but I'm still so weak!'
`No, Daisuke, you're not weak,' Dark said silently.
Suddenly, someone opened the door from inside. “Satoshi!” Daisuke cried. “I was just about to-“ Satoshi held his hand out to Daisuke. “Huh?” he asked.
“Get up,” Satoshi said, “you look like a fool sitting on the ground like that.”
Obeying, Daisuke took Satoshi's hand. For a moment, both of them stood looking at each other in silence. “You can let go of my hand now,” Satoshi said.
“Ah, sorry!” Daisuke said. “I'll, uh, be going to the lobby for the presentation now-“ Satoshi, as Daisuke had turned to leave, grabbed him roughly and pulled him close to him.
“You're not going anywhere,” he said blandly.
`What does that little punk think he's doing?' Dark yelled. Daisuke shuddered. He could feel Satoshi whispering something in his ear, but couldn't make out the words. `What's going on?' he thought. `I heard Satoshi say he didn't want to be with me before, but now he's acting so strange…'
“Come inside with me,” Satoshi ordered, “you're not going to the presentation.”
“Okay…” Daisuke muttered as he followed Satoshi inside like a lost puppy. `You make me sick,' Dark told him, `letting him order you around like a slave master…' Satoshi sat on his bed and Daisuke nervously sat down with him. The room consisted of two bunk beds, two end tables with lamps and drawers, and a bathroom. It wasn't very big, but Daisuke preferred it to the crowded lobby. “So where have you been all day?” Daisuke asked Satoshi, not able to bring himself to look him in the eyes.
“I've been avoiding you,” Satoshi said without hesitation.
`I knew it,' Daisuke thought miserably.
“Because there's something I need to tell you, but I'm too much of a coward to say it.”
`Say what?' Daisuke thought bitterly, `That you don't want to be with me?'
“Daisuke, I love-“
Don't even say it!” Daisuke yelled, standing up. “You're just trying to mess with me! I know you were talking to me in the locker bay yesterday because no one else was there!”
Satoshi's eyes widened and he looked down at his feet. “Stupid…” he whispered. “How could you even think that?” He began to tremble, causing Daisuke to panic.
“So you weren't talking to me?” he asked, “I don't understand!”
“You have no idea…” Satoshi continued as tears began to roll down his cheeks.
“Blah, blah, blah, bladdy-blah-blah…” the teacher at the podium rambled. No matter how hard she tried, Risa could not bring to sit still. `Where's Daisuke?' she thought. `And Riku's gone, too… I hope it doesn't have anything to do with Daisuke…' she thought.
“The presentation has been concluded,” the teacher said. “You may all go to the recreation rooms or your cabins.”
Risa left the lobby with a swarm of people, deciding she to find Riku. She thought long and hard (well, not really) about where she thought Riku would be. “The woods!” she said brightly (once again, not really). `Riku's into all that tomboy-stuff, so-`
Risa stopped at wood's edge. She just couldn't get her brand new summer dress dirty in the woods! “Oh, no…” she said, hanging her head. It was six o'clock and dinner would be served in the lobby soon. `My big sis is lost in the woods, so I should be more worried about her than my dress! I can get Dad to buy me a cuter one, anyway…' Lifting up the bottom of her dress, Risa set out to find her sister.
`Augh! Daisuke, he's crying! Do something!' Dark panicked. “Uh, umm, Satoshi, are you okay?” Daisuke asked awkwardly.
`You're always this emotional around this around him?' Krad asked. Satoshi went rigid. `Yes, I'm still here. I wouldn't have awakened if you weren't so enmeshed with him. Oh, that's right… he doesn't know about me, does he? What will he think of you then? What will they both think?'
Satoshi wiped his eyes and looked up at Daisuke. “I can't really see without my glasses,” he lied. “They're in the bathroom. Can you get them for me?”
“Yes! Yes I shall!” Daisuke said a little too loudly. Satoshi studied Daisuke as he panicked to find his glasses, which were obviously on the counter. `He's too unlike you,' Krad pointed out. `You can never guarantee that he'll feel the same way about you. And what's more, he'll definitely keep his distance from you once he finds out why you're really trying to capture Dark.'
“Your glasses!” Daisuke said, handing him his glasses (which were broken from Daisuke's exploits). Satoshi took them, doing his best to avoid any contact with Daisuke's hands. “You know, Satoshi,” Daisuke said in a serious tone of voice, “I love you too… but… there's certain things that are in the way,” he said uneasily, thinking of Risa and what Satoshi had said in the locker bay.
Satoshi looked away and said, “I wasn't talking to you in the locker bay.”
Daisuke's heart leaped. `Did you hear that, Dark! He wasn't talking to me!' Dark didn't answer. Something seemed wrong. `Oh God,' he realized, `This kid couldn't be Krad's tamer, could he?'
`Krad?' Daisuke asked. `Who is Krad?'
`Why don't you ask Satoshi…' he said dully. “Satoshi, were you talking to… Krad?” Daisuke asked.
Satoshi was shocked. “What! How on Earth-“
“Oh, it's nothing! Dark is just saying stupid things, so I thought I'd ask you,” he said cheerfully.
`So Dark's caught on,' Krad said a little excitedly. `Tell him, Satoshi. You know the only person you can fall back on is me.'
Daisuke… I need to tell you why I'm in charge of capturing Dark.” Daisuke sat down next to Satoshi, who was trying his best not to look him in the eye.
`Daisuke, you should leave,' Dark said suddenly, `You're not ready to hear this.'
`It's fine,' he replied. `My feelings will still be the same, regardless.'