D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ When Doves Cry ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Revelations
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DN Angel.
 
A/N: I know I said that this was just going to be a one shot, but I figured that I may as well extend it a bit, due to someone's requests. I think this is going to be a continuation of 'When Doves Cry', but not all of the chapters will involve songs. There'll probably be songs when Satoshi and Daisuke argue, perhaps a few amongst the chapters, but nothing's really confirmed. Thank you for all the support and requests for me to continue, it's good to know that you guys appreciate this piece of angst. Thanks.
 
Daisuke trudged through the streets clutching his soft duffel bag. It contained only a little food, money and the clothes that he'd randomly thrown in. The night was cold and the streets of Azumano were empty, the harsh light of the street lamps throwing garish yellow light onto parts of the pavement. Daisuke padded along, not really caring about where his feet were taking him to. All he knew was that anything that he and Satoshi might have done in order to salvage their relationship was now out of the question. He'd laid down all his cards on the table; he'd told Satoshi his feelings about alcohol and asked him to stop. In the short term, his solution had worked. He slowly turned and faced the dying moon, his features thrown into sharp relief by the light. Looking around, the redhead realised that he was in the park, near the kiddy playground. A few benches sat off to the left of the area and he made his way over, still holding his duffel bag. He sank down onto the bench and stared unseeingly at the playground, wishing that life was as simple as the children who played here. He sighed and wondered where he could now go. He didn't want to go to Kenji's, because he was afraid that Satoshi might show up there. He couldn't go to the twins because they were out of town on a business trip and Takeshi was on the other side of the world. Sighing, he looked up sadly at the stars and a tear made its way down his face as he slowly lay down on the bench and hoped that the cops didn't find him there.
 
Satoshi:
 
The blue-haired detective only barely managed to reach the bedroom before collapsing in a drunken stupor. His mind was so fogged with alcohol that he barely remembered what had happened five minutes ago, let alone fifteen. With a grunt, he fell into the realm of unconsciousness and lay there all night, his body working to neutralize the poison.
 
The next morning, Satoshi woke up with a pounding beat going on in his head. It felt as though some Amazonian tribe had made its way into his head and was currently doing a tribal dance. Staggering to the bathroom, Satoshi leaned precariously over the toilet and emptied the contents of his stomach into it. The tribal dance in his head continued and Satoshi shuffled painfully to the cupboard over the sink and groped around for some aspirin. To his horror, there were only two pills left and he was sure that he needed at least four to make this killer headache go away. Clutching the bottle in his hand, he staggered out into the kitchen and downed the pills with a few gulps of water. He sat limply in the chair, blue eyes dulled from both the headache and the effort of trying to think with it. He remained in this state for twenty minutes, the thought of work not even crossing his mind. It drifted across his mind but only remained there for the fraction of a second before returning to the dark depths from which it came. Satoshi looked around the house, thoughts and memories of Daisuke whirling around his head and speeding up until they were just blurs of red. What happened this time? Making up his mind and finally having woken up enough to think properly, Satoshi headed towards the bedroom, focused on searching for Daisuke for the rest of the day. I want you back.
 
Daisuke:
 
The redhead slowly opened his eyes and blinked at the rays of sunlight. He frowned as he registered the hard bench beneath him and shifted uncomfortably. Where am I…? Oh yeah. He winced as the nasty bruise on his cheek throbbed painfully, reminding him of the events of the previous night. He slowly sat up and looked around, wincing at the ache in his body from having spent the night on a park bench. He frowned, at first not understanding why there were no children around. Then he remembered. Oh yeah. It's Thursday morning. Duh. He sat still, wondering what Satoshi was doing. He loved the other man, really he did. It was just that…it was just too much. Perhaps they really did need some time alone, to sort out their feelings and thoughts. Part of him wanted to return home and just say sorry, but the other part of him, the part that Dark had influenced, was totally against the idea. He then heard a sound from behind him and whipped around. There was nothing there. Frowning, Daisuke shrugged it off as some small animal, perhaps a squirrel, or a dog, or something. Then he heard it again. Turning around and feeling a little foolish, he called out, “I know you're there! You can come out now!” A pause. The rustling started up again and a familiar figure stepped out.
 
“Hey, Dai-chan.” Daisuke could only stare in shock at the familiar figure and his whole body tingled just from hearing that familiar voice. “Long time no see, don't you think? Got a good reason as to why you're on a park bench clutching a duffel?”
 
“Dark?”
 
“Yeah.” The thief grinned the same reckless grin that he had so often flashed at Krad and the police in days long gone. “You've grown. Now let's skip back a bit to my original question. Why are you on a park bench, clutching a duffel bag?” When Daisuke didn't answer, the thief chuckled. “What, Satoshi kicked you out of the house?”
 
“Sort of.” Daisuke's voice was quiet and timid and immediately Dark knew that something was up.
 
“Dear God, what happened?” Dark sauntered casually over to the park bench and flopped down next to Daisuke. He was worried for his onetime host, but knew that pushing would only make Daisuke more reticent. He had to let the boy tell him, all in his own time.
 
Daisuke sighed and looked at the purple haired boy next to him. “It's a long story.” Dark shrugged.
 
“I'm listening.” He hoped that Daisuke would tell him what had happened between him and Satoshi so that he could kick the detective's butt as soon as possible. Daisuke looked like he wanted to say something, but then shrugged.
 
“It's nothing. Really, Dark.”
 
“Uh huh,” the thief commented. However, he was thrown off balance by the redhead's next question.
 
“Why aren't the police after you? Surely you can't go around Azumano unnoticed!” Dark shrugged carelessly. Truth to tell, he didn't want to reveal that answer to Daisuke partly out of revenge and partly because it was a complicated process which had involved time and space alternately moving, people's mindsets being messed around with, so on and so forth.
 
“We-ell…”
 
“Tell me!” Dark could not help the laugh that bubbled up from inside him. For a moment, it seemed like Daisuke was still fourteen, he was still in the other boy's body and he still thought that he harboured feelings for Risa. Ah, those were the days, he thought almost wistfully.
 
“Nah…don't feel like it.” He winked and ploughed on before Daisuke could say anything. “It's only fair to keep my secrets if you keep yours, right?” Daisuke huffed and rolled his eyes, evoking another laugh from Dark. “Feel like coming over then? Bet it beats the park bench, at any rate.”
 
Daisuke mulled over the matter and nodded. “Thanks,” he said quietly. Dark shrugged.
 
“Anytime.” Without further preamble, the two headed off to Dark's place.
 
Satoshi:
 
Satoshi wandered aimlessly around the train station, feeling lost. His thoughts came in a constant barrage, worries, anxieties and fears all becoming one big jumble. He was only focused on finding Daisuke and fervently hoped that the redhead had not been mugged or harassed by some of the more dubious characters wandering the streets in the night time. Krad's voice came back to haunt him, its cool detachedness eerie and yet familiar at the same time. <<Things don't work that way, Satoshi-sama. You gave all you had, but it wasn't enough. Thieves are always greedy, nothing is ever enough for them.>>
 
Satoshi growled angrily. ((He's not like that!)) With an amazing effort, the blue-haired detective forced the memories out of his head. He stood still and thought things through, his mind clearer now that he had taken out some frustration on Krad's ghost. He shut his eyes, thinking hard. ((If I were Daisuke, where would I go?)) He sighed and opened his eyes again, rubbing his temples. It was no use. He'd checked all the likely places. Sighing, the blue-haired detective turned around and bit back a gasp as he saw a flash of gold. It wasn't ordinary gold, nor the kind that came out of bottles. It was a gleaming, shining gold, with the kind of luster that was usually only associated with pirate's gold. Satoshi inwardly cowered. He'd only seen that kind of gold on one person, and one person alone. ((It can't be! He was sealed up with Dark years ago!)) He looked at the spot again, but the person was gone. ((I must have just been seeing things.))
 
He felt a breeze behind him. Whipping around, he found himself facing nothing. A few people stared at him curiously but then shrugged and continued with their business, for which he was grateful. It would have been hard to explain as to why the Chief of the Azumano Police Force was in a train station, looking around as though he had just seen a ghost. Besides, he was supposed to be at work. Slowly, Satoshi started for the exit but found himself staring into someone's face. He jerked back a few steps and bit back a scream. Krad was back and stood there as though he had never left. The blond angel raised a hand slowly, as though he were merely greeting Satoshi after an absence. Without another word, Satoshi shut his eyes. ((This can't be real this can't be real this can't be real this can't be…)) Darkness overtook him and he sank to the floor in blissful unconsciousness. Krad caught Satoshi silently, glaring at anyone who dared to stare or inquire if he needed help. Looking at the man in his arms, an unreadable expression passed across Krad's face as he stared tenderly, almost sorrowfully at his tamer before carrying him out of the station.
 
Daisuke:
 
Daisuke looked around the small apartment, blinking. The whole place looked like…well, it looked like exactly the kind of place that Dark would live in. The walls were a dramatic shade of purple with a thin black strip across the bottom. On the far side, there was a large window that took up most of the wall space, the view looking out over the city. The rest of the apartment was accordingly decorated, giving off a modern and yet dark look. Daisuke stared, wondering just where Dark had gotten the money to afford this place. That view didn't come cheap. As though reading his mind, Dark absentmindedly murmured, “I got a job-sort of.”
 
I'll bet, Daisuke thought dryly, it's probably something to do with thieving and selling. Dark sighed quietly and turned to Daisuke. “Ne, when did you become so cynical?” the thief asked.
 
Daisuke looked Dark in the eye, but found himself looking downwards two seconds later and blushing. The thief sighed and suddenly Daisuke found himself being scooped up in the older man's arms. “What are you doing?” he shrieked, arms automatically going around Dark's neck for fear of falling.
 
“I'm just carrying you to the bathroom, you'll need a shower,” the thief replied innocently. Sighing, Daisuke shut his eyes and prepared himself for the worst. However, when they got to the bathroom, Dark kicked the door open and set Daisuke down gently on the edge of the bath tub. “Don't fall in,” he warned the redhead. “I don't like cleaning up. Now, wait here till I bring you some towels and clothes.”
 
Daisuke looked around the bathroom, surprised. Unlike the rest of the house, this room was tinted in pale yet rich colours, such as alabaster, cream and other colours. I wonder how Satoshi's doing. The thought popped into his head suddenly, and Daisuke almost jumped. “What?” he asked aloud in the empty bathroom. I hope he's all right. Daisuke blushed, and hoped that one day, someday, Satoshi and he would be able to return to their normal life together before the alcohol.
 
<Why bother about him?> A tiny, bitter voice spoke up. <He beat you up, continued to drink even after you asked him to stop. He didn't even trust you enough to let you hug another person! True love isn't like that.>
 
And you would know this because…? Daisuke didn't know what was happening. Half of him wanted to tell the voice to shut up, but the other wanted to agree.
 
<I'm smart. You're just naive.> Just then, Dark entered the room laden with towels and clothes. Daisuke blushed at the thought of wearing something that Dark would, and then pushed it to the back of his mind and scolded himself for being ungrateful. “Thanks,” he muttered as the thief dropped the things into his arms.
 
“No problem,” Dark replied smoothly. He stopped and looked at the redhead more closely. “So…” he leaned closer. Daisuke shifted uncomfortably.
 
“Um…yeah?” Daisuke was reduced to monosyllabic replies from the discomfort of having the thief this close to him. Before, it had been Satoshi causing that feeling when they had been teenagers. It now seemed that the tables had turned. A blush slowly made its way up his face and Daisuke didn't know what to do. Without warning, Dark leaned forward and gave him a chaste peck on the lips. Then he stood up and left the room as calmly as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened, leaving a confused and embarrassed Daisuke behind.
 
Dark flopped down on the couch, blowing his flyaway hair out of his face. Why on earth had he done that, anyway? His mind replayed the scene over and over again and he could not help but sigh again. He'd wanted the redhead ever since he'd first appeared but had held back, only wanting to see him happy and nothing more. Never in his wildest dreams had he dreamed of actually being able to touch and feel his host with his own fingers, have his own body, be able to stay in one place for as long as he wanted without feeling a tugging sensation every 12 hours. Never had he thought that he would have a chance with the pretty redhead. He placed his fingers over his lips dreamily, remembering what Daisuke had felt and tasted like. Then his instinct had kicked in and it had taken everything in Dark not to just run out of the bathroom screaming for help.
 
Satoshi:
 
Satoshi looked at the room he was in and realized that he was lying on the couch, in the living room of his own house. Frowning, he tried to remember at what point he had returned home. All he remembered was desperately searching places for Daisuke but failing, and then the train station, and then…oh God. Krad. He then noticed the figure standing over him, holding a glass of water. “You're awake,” it commented lightly and Satoshi stared in shock as the cup was pressed to his lips. “Drink something, it's better.”
 
Satoshi tried to sit up and take the cup in his hands, but Krad wouldn't let him. “You have to rest to keep your strength up,” he said gently. His voice was soft and soothing and Satoshi found himself being gently pushed back down into a horizontal position. He looked up at the blond angel and could only stare at what he saw. Krad didn't look as…homicidal as he had years before. His eyes seemed almost sorrowful, his expression softer. The icy coolness still clung to him like his aura, but there was a definite softening of the features. It wasn't the sickeningly obsequious look of the obsessed that Krad had given him in his younger days, it was a sad, haunting look. Satoshi slowly asked the question that had been on his mind since he'd realized that Krad was back in a tangible, independent form.
 
“How?”
 
Krad shook his head, gently placing a finger on Satoshi's lips. “Hush,” he cooed softly as though talking to a young child. “You mustn't over exert yourself. All will be revealed in time.” Satoshi refused to be soothed however and forced himself to sit up.
 
“Krad, I mean it. I'm fine.” He tried to swat the angel's hands away, but gave up after seeing the hurt in the older man's eyes. “Just tell me what happened, please.” He hated to beg Krad like this, but he needed to know. The blond shook his head and repeated what he had said earlier. Frustrated, Satoshi snarled at Krad. “I need to find Daisuke!” he almost shouted. The blond sighed quietly in resignation.
 
“You love him, don't you.” It was a statement, not a question.
 
“Yes! I do! I do! I love him with all my heart!” Satoshi was almost shouting and crying now, feeling like a little child lost in the wide world. Krad nodded, golden orbs sad, yet glimmering with another emotion that had no name.
 
“Then watch this.” He opened the palm of his hand and Satoshi stared at the little glowing crystal sitting in it. At first, it sparkled innocently in the angel's hand, but then clouds swirled across its surface and a blur of colours appeared. They sharpened into shapes and Satoshi looked silently into the orb, the unspoken acceptance clear. He then saw a flash of purple and he was sure that his jaw dropped as he realized that he was looking at Kaitou Dark. The thief seemed to be holding what seemed like towels and clothes and was walking down a corridor. He stopped at a door and kicked it open to reveal Daisuke, sitting forlornly on the edge of the tub. Satoshi stared hungrily at the image. He watched Dark drop the things into the redhead's lap and growled low in his throat as he watched the other man sit next to Daisuke. His eyes widened in shock as he stared at the way Dark was leaning into Daisuke, the way his husband was fidgeting and Satoshi almost had a heart attack as he watched Dark lean in and kiss Daisuke. Clouds began to gather over the crystal and to the detective's dismay, the image faded.
 
There. That's your continuation, and that's the way it's going to go. Hope you liked it. Review please please please please…yeah. Review, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
 
Shoutouts:
 
Classy Raven: Immense thank you here fore reviewing so many times and thank you for giving me some really good ideas, I used one of them. I owe you a lot, thanks for getting me to continue this.
 
Les Scribbles: I seem to remember you reviewing a couple of other fanfics…in any case, thank you for that rather…emotional…review. It was appreciated, thanks. Here's your tissues *passes box over*
 
Kingmaker (anonymous): Well, thank you for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
 
Silv3r Magician: Thanks, it's good to know that my first attempt at pure angst wasn't too shabby (I hope). Thank you for the support.
 
Review please, everyone, it's very much appreciated. No flames though please. Reviews, and thank you for reading.