Daa! Daa! Daa! Fan Fiction ❯ Making True A Promise ❯ Displacement ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

--- Disclaimer: The poem “Tonight I can write the saddest lines” does not belong to any of us but to the ever-talented Pablo Neruda, whose depth in the concept called love is very intense. I am just one of the admirers of his work and therefore I hold no claim over it. And of course, I am not as creative as Mika Kawamura to think of a flying-baby-together-with-his-sitter-pet-landing-on-earth-by-accident-plot. I have no claim over anything except for myself. I am my own.
 
 
Chapter Three - Displacement
 
 
“I told you there is something weird happening to her and what happened yesterday just proved it. You'd better believe it now.” Kanata told Santa quietly.
 
“It is very suspicious. Now that you insist I take it my duty to investigate this odd phenomenon.” Santa said as he stood from his chair for effect.
 
“Santa keep it down. She might hear you.” Kanata said as he glanced at Miyu, staring out the window with sad eyes.
 
“She is acting very weird. What do you think is her problem?” Nanami asked as she and Aya moved to join the two boys.
 
“She hasn't touched her food yet and she barely says anything.” Aya said sadly. “And when she does say something it's almost impossible to hear. I'm really getting worried.”
 
“We must get to the bottom of this. She probably needs our help. I just hope she knows we're always here for her. We're her friends for crying out loud.” Nanami said, feeling helpless.
 
“Alright class! Go back to your seats! Today, I'm going to introduce to you poetry. We will be starting off with our very own haiku of course but just for a treat I would like to read something to you.” Miss Mizuno said cheerfully. “Or not.”
 
She snaked her way through the chairs and approached a certain blonde who was looking out the window, her mind traveling somewhere else.
 
“Miyu, why don't you read this?” Miss Mizuno said upon confronting Miyu.
 
“Huh?” Miyu responded, startled.
 
“It's a poem written by Pablo Neruda, a foreign poet, and its title is `Tonight I can Write the Saddest Lines'. Can you read it aloud for us?”
 
Miyu nodded and took the book from her teacher's hand.
 
“You may start now.”
 
Miyu inhaled deeply.
 
“Tonight I can Write the saddest lines.
 
Write, for, example, `the night is starry and the stars are blue and shiver in the distance'.
 
The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.
 
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.
 
Through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.
 
She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes?
 
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
To think that I do not have her. To think that I have lost her.
 
To hear the immense night, still more immense without her.
And the verse falls to the soul like dew to pasture.
 
What does it matter that my love could not keep her
The night is starry and she is not with me
 
This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance.
My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.
 
My sight tried to find her as though to bring her closer.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.
 
The same night whitening the same trees.
We, of that time, are no longer the same.
 
I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her
My voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing.
 
Another's. She will be another's. As she was before my kisses.
Her voice, her bright body. Her infinite eyes.
 
I no longer love her, that's certain, but maybe I love her
Love is so short, forgetting is so long
 
Because through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.
 
Though this be the last pain that makes me suffer
And these the last verses I write for her. “
 
Miyu finished and sat quietly back in her chair.
 
“Miyu! That was beautiful. The way you read it was full of emotion. I could not help the tears that have fallen from my eyes. It was as if you are reading your own poem and have experienced the feeling first hand. Do you have any insight on the poem, Miyu?” Miss Mizuno smiled.
 
“The poem is about a person who struggles through his emptiness and his make believe truth. He is not sure if he has forgotten about the girl but it was certain throughout the poem that he had severely loved her. He has looked for her in everything that he has seen and everything all of a sudden resembles her. It is very hard for him to forget because he knows she has once been everything to him. It's very sad yet true and I'll keep looking for him until he tells me not to.”
 
“Miyu, you looked so pained.” Miss Mizuno sighed as she took the book from Miyu's desk.
 
“It is better to feel pained than feel nothing at all.”
 
Kanata turned his gaze away from Miyu. “You'd keep looking for him until he tells you not to…”
 
 
 
 
 
“Why little Miyu, I didn't know you had some interest in poetry. Well, mademoiselle, I happen to be a lover of Shakespeare's work.” Nozomu spoke as he reached Miyu's desk.
 
Miyu just looked at him as if boring through him.
 
“You don't seem to be yourself, little Miyu. It saddens me to see how lonely you have become in such short notice. If there would be anything that would bring back the gleam in your eyes that sparkled even more when you smiled, please do let me know.” Nozomu offered her his roses and left with a distressed look on his face.
 
“Kanata, we have to keep an eye on her to dig deeper on this mystery. If I am not mistaken, the real Miyu was abducted by aliens because of the knowledge of her parents with aliens was too intensive. And the real Miyu is held hostage to be able to erase the data NASA had probably dated.” Santa said as he held on to his pellet gun. “It's better if we're ready, it could get serious.”
 
Kanata's and the others' sweat dropped.
 
“Santa, I don't really find it that serious. For all we know, Miyu might just be going through an identity crisis. And how is that pellet gun supposed to help us if we do get in big trouble?” Kanata laughed as he shoved Santa's incoherent ideas.
 
“We'll if we'll be hot on her trail. We have to move fast.” Aya said as she pointed to Miyu's empty chair. “She's gone!”
 
“Alright men! Let's split up! One-thirds of the group go search for her in the school grounds. The others turn left to go to the park. And the rest follow me to the…” Santa pauses to look around. “ Where is everybody?! Hey wait up! Don't leave me!” Santa cried aloud as he followed Kanata's group.
 
 
 
 
“Oh my… I never imagined that the forest beside the Saionji Temple could be this wild.” Christine said as she wandered around.
 
“Christine don't fall out the group!” Kanata said as he led the way, deeper into the woods.
 
“Are we ever going out of this place?” Aya trembled as she squeezed Nanami's arm.
 
“Don't worry. I know this forest better than anyone. I grew up here remember?” Kanata said reassuringly.
 
Aya sighed. “It's good to hear that.”
 
“Hey you guys…” Christine said, her voice shivering. “I stepped on something and it doesn't feel nor sound nice.”
 
Aya and Nanami's faces darkened as they saw what was beneath Christine's shoe.
 
“Guys, don't give me that look.” Christine said as she watched the other two girls' faces turn pale to blue. “It's not funny.”
 
“The thing is Christine, we're not kidding about it either.” Nanami said as she trembled herself.
 
Santa bent at Christine's feet and said out rightly. “Why, look at that if it isn't a rare giant slug.”
 
“A slug?” Christine's face turned from blue to black. “A slug, you say… Ha… Ha.. Ha.. Ah!!!”
 
“Ah!!!” Aya and Nanami screamed at the top of their lungs same way and they came running down, taking a strangled Santa with them.
 
“WHY DO I HAVE TO BE TAKEN ALONG WITH YOU?! KANAT—A!!!” Santa called to his friend as they went sliding down the steep slope.
 
“Those guys—I guess I'll go look for her by myself.” Kanata said to himself.
 
Drip. Drop. The raindrops went. The drizzles getting stronger every minute.
 
“Miyu are you here? You have to be here. Miyu! Where are you?!” He called.
 
He sighed in dismay.
 
“She must be somewhere else after all or she might be home with Ruu and Wannya. What am I doing anyway?” He asked himself as he looked for his way back to the temple.
 
“Takeshi!!!”
 
Kanata slowly crept his way to the voice he just heard. He found himself hiding in the bushes near a cliff where the whole of the city could be seen. “I never knew about this place…”
 
The drizzling stopped and the fog started to rise.
 
“Takeshi!!! Where are you?! You told me to wait but I've waited enough! I've looked for you and still I haven't seen you! Do you want me to stop?! Do you want me to forget! Is that what you want me to do!?” A girl cried in the top of her voice. “ Is this it?!”
 
The girl fell on her knees, clutching the ground below her. Tears streamed on her pale face. “Takeshi… is this the love you wanted me to wait for..?”
 
Kanata stood frozen as he watched the girl crying. “Miyu…”