Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Phantom or Fenton? ❯ THe Amitiville Horror ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<i> The Amityville Horror </i>
 
<b> Six Years Ago </b>
 
A fourteen-year-old Daniel Fenton gazed at his parents from his position leaning against the far wall. His features were a bit boyish and could be described as `cute'; after all, he was just a kid. Dressed in his usual red and white t-shirt and light blue jeans Daniel glanced at the clock on the wall again. He yawned. This `experiment' was dull, he'd much rather be outside playing with his friends or hanging out at the mall. However, his parents <i> insisted </i> this was the `big moment' and that the whole Fenton family had to be present.
Daniel's parents, Jack and Maddie Fenton were both world famous scientist working in top government classified fields. But their work was just that, work. Their true passion is ghost hunting. For years now they have put all their free time into proving the existence of these terrors of the undead to those around them. Sadly, this has not won them many party invitations or friends for that matter. Many of their colleagues simply ignore or block them out when the word `ghost' turned up. Even the government would be more than happy to lock them up in padded white rooms and label them as `insane' if it wasn't for their brilliance in their field.
 
Jack removed his goggles and wiped the sweat from his brow before smiling at Daniel giving him a thumb's up. Daniel in turn sighed and buried his face in his hands.
 
“The portal is just about complete Danny! Come over here so you can get a good view of this historical event! You too Jazz!”
 
Daniel's older sister Jazmine Fenton sighed heavily and unwillingly walked closer to the giant door that was to be the Ghost Portal. “I still don't see why Danny and I have to be here for this Ghost nonsense Dad. Do you know what this could mean for his social life if people found out about his parents love for ghost?”
 
“Hey! My social life? What about yours Jazz?” Daniel question.
 
Jazmine smiled and ruffled his hair, “You forget little brother, and I'm not related to them when they're like this.” She frowned eyeing her mother who was currently fiddling with some tool. “I refuse to be…”
 
“It's done!” Jack proclaimed helping Maddie on her feet with is free hand. “I just have to plug this in and-!”
 
“Dad, did you test this out first? Are you 100% sure there's no way this could backfire and cause tremendous physical or mental harm?” Jazmine asked taking a step back from the crazed look her father got in his eye.
 
“Oh don't be such a worrywart Jazz, this time we've got everything under control.”
 
“Wait, this time?!” Both Jazz and Daniel exclaimed in unison exchanging worried glances.
 
Maddie tosses a smile over her shoulder toward her children. “Oh it was a long time ago kids, back when we were in college. We've made several improvements since then.”
 
“Then why do I have this sinking feeling in my stomach all of a sudden?” Daniel asked.
 
Ignoring their troubled teenage children Jack held up the last two plugs that would feed the Ghost Portal it's main power, Maddie looked on positive that everything was in order this time, Jazmine kept a good distance between her parents and exit, just in case, and Daniel stood in between his parents with a perfect view of the portal.
 
The plugs connected…and nothing happened.
 
Jack's face fell. “Well that can't be right!” He pulled the plugs apart and stared at them carefully as if giving it `the eye' would force it to work before plugging it in repeatedly.
 
“Jake stop it, let's look over these figures again.” Maddie said taking the plug away from Jack before he unknowingly did something foolish.
 
“Does this mean I can go now?” Jazmine asked in a bored tone. She was a little disappointed that their invention didn't work as they had planed but the part of her that disliked their taste for ghost hunting overpowered that disappointment.
 
“Sure Jazz, you can go too Danny.”
 
That was all that needed to be said before the two teens were up the stairs and out the basement.
 
<i> Later That Night </i>
 
<i> I can't believe I'm ding this. </i> Daniel thought to himself as he crept down the basement stairs that night.
 
For some reason Daniel couldn't get rid of that sinking feeling from earlier that afternoon. When he left the basement earlier, it was there, when he was at the mall it was there and even through dinner and when he tried to sleep, it was there. Even now, as he stood before the large hexagon, the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach grew.
 
“This is so silly. It's just a metal doorway that doesn't even work.” Daniel reassured himself.
 
Daniel walked up to the door and pushed his hand over the cool metal around the doorway. Peeping inside he saw nothing but a semi-long hallway of metal. Nothing to be afraid of. He sighed in relief and was about to leave when something inside the portal caught his eye. A compartment had been left open. The sinking feeling doubled.
 
Something about that open hatch was bothering him, but that was silly right? What did he know about the hatch or anything-involving ghosts for that matter?!
 
 
“Maybe just a peak.” He mumbled walking over to the small cabinet that held his parents jumpsuits. Opening it, he was blinded by the rows and rows of blue and orange jumpsuits.
 
“Ever hear of variety?”
 
He flipped through the mass of blue and orange in hopes of finding <i> one </i> suite that wouldn't make him look like his parents. A flash of white near the very back in between his father's orange jumpsuit caught Daniel's attention. Pulling it out he revealed a white and black suite. Grinning Daniel quickly slipped in and zipped it up. In the center was a sticker of sorts of his father's face. Cringing he pulled it off and stuck it to one of his mother's suite.
 
“This isn't so bad. At least no one will recognize me like this…I hope.”
 
Walking back to the portal Daniel took a deep breath and walked in his gloved hand running along the metal of the walls. As he steeped over the threshold he failed to notice the plugs his father was tinkering with this afternoon was still plugged in and abandoned on the floor.
 
Daniel had to admit, this was some high-tech stuff. He didn't understand half of it but that didn't mean he couldn't appreciate mechanical genius when he saw it. His parents did have their moments, and this was one of them. He mentally reminded himself to tell his parents that once he got out.
 
The hatch. The reason why he was in here in the first place. He stood before it now and he couldn't help but notice that the red `off' button was switched on and the green `on' button was off.
 
“I can't believe they forgot to switch it on from the inside, how silly is that? I guess I could just flip it on; it's just a switch. No harm ever came from flipping a switch, right?”
 
Famous last words.
 
<i> Three Hours Later </i>
 
Daniel stirred, his eyes moving swiftly under closed eyelids. With a gasp and a cry, his eyes snapped open and he sat up in alarm.
 
“What happened? Where am I?” Panic laced in his voice Daniel quickly got to his feet and took in his surroundings. He was still in the basement. He sighed. He was okay. Looking down at himself he noticed that the jumpsuit he had put on was gone…did he dream the whole thing? Baby-bye eyes drifted to the portal whose doors were now closed? How odd they weren't closed before.
 
Daniel shrugged and yawned, what time was it? Looking at the clock, Daniel screamed. It wasn't that thee hours had somehow gone unnoticed no it was his appearance. What he saw in the mirror just below the clock was much more important now. His face was covered with a large breakout of acne!
 
The thundering of many feet captured Daniel's attention from his reflection as he turned to see his parents and older sister descend the basement stairs. The room was quickly filled with cries of shock, horror and concern. Her motherly instincts taking over Maddie quickly scooped up her frantic son and rushed out the basement.
 
“Come on Jack, we have to take to the hospital.” Was tossed over her shoulder as she sprinted up the steps and for once Jake didn't say or do anything silly. His eyes traveled from Jazmine who was beginning to cry to the place Daniel once stood. “Come on Jazz, your brother needs us!”
 
~*~*~
 
<b> Daniel Fenton </b> those were the words next to the hospital door. Jazmine stared at them as if she were seeing things. This couldn't be happening. Daniel didn't get into things like this. He was a good kid, a bit misunderstood but he never did anything life threatening.
 
A large hand clamped over her shoulder and she jumped. She turned to see her father and mother behind her.
 
“The doctor says we can see him now.”
 
Jazmine nodded and moved towards the door, her hand reached for the doorknob and froze. She couldn't do it. Seeing her standing there with her hand outstretched for the door Maddie laced her hand with Jazmine's and together they opened the door. The electronic Beep was a somewhat eerie yet calming sound to hear when you knew it belonged to someone you loved.
 
In the middle of the room lies Daniel Fenton. He was sleeping and a thick solution leaked through the bandages on his arms and face. It was a heartbreaking sight. He was only fourteen and yet he looked so sad, lying there unmoving, in a deep sleep.
 
The Fenton family sat around his bedside, Maddie holding one of his bandaged hands in her own.
 
“What did the doctor say?” Jazmine's voice broke the silence.
 
“They're not sure what happened to him. His break out is unusual and they can't identify its origin.” Jake explained.
 
“The doctor's have agreed to let us run some tests as well. Your father and I are going to look around the lab again to see if anything stands out. It happened down there, there has to be some kind of clue as to what happened to your brother down there.”
 
~*~*~
 
Beep….
 
Daniel's eyes fluttered open. He flinched as the bright lights of the sun rushed into his sensitive eyes. Groaning he rolls away from the light only to find himself on the floor. Had he fallen out of bed? Looking up he almost had a heart attack.
 
Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…
 
The bed was above him! He had fallen through?! But how was that possible? Thinking quickly, he roll out from under the bed and stood up to look at it. The bed seemed normal enough. He reached out to touch the bed and watched as his hand turned intangible before his very eyes and slipped through the bed complexly.
 
Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…
 
“What's going on?!” Daniel's voice cracked.
 
He held up his hand and watched as it flickered between a solid and well non solid.
 
“Okay Danny, think, what's the last thing you remember? What could have happened to cause this?” He began pacing around the room.
 
“I remember going into the basement, finding the open panel in the Ghost Portal, putting on the suite and flipping a switch…did I activate the Ghost Portal when I flipped that switch? Oh man this can't be happening to me.”
 
His fears were only doubled when he saw his own reflection. Not only were body parts disappearing at odd moments but also his hair had changed from black to white and he had glowing green eyes. There was only one thing that could explain this, his interaction within the Ghost Portal while activated had somehow changed him, changed him into the one thing he knew nothing about. He was a ghost.
 
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep…
 
~*~*~
 
Things only seemed to get worst for Daniel and the Fenton's. His parents never figured out the cause of the acne and Daniel kept his little trip into the Fenton Portal a secret along with his new powers. But word had already gotten out to the rest of Amity Park.. Daniel was in the hospital because there was an accident in the Fenton lab. The details were not known but then again gossip tends to be more important than facts in theses cases.
 
The town was in an uproar. As far as they knew the Fenton's were crazy in the first place believing in ghost, now there were sending their own son to the hospital with an unknown and unexplainable breakout?! There was no room for people like them in Amity Park.. A petition was signed and a town meeting was held, within a month the Fenton's were asked to leave by order of the mayor of Amity Park.
 
 
TBC…
 
<b>
Questions? Comments? Input?
 
Basically I wanted to explain how Danny without Sam or Tucker could get ghost powers. It's kinda like a fate thing, he was meant to have them, I can't picture Danny without it. To be a bit different I gave Danny Ecto-Acne before getting his powers, kinda like what happened to Vlad Masters ^^;