Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Phantom or Fenton? ❯ Fear Of A Last Name ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fear Of A Last Name
 
“Samantha! What are you doing with that punk?!” Samantha cringed at the all too familiar voice that belonged to her boyfriend.
 
Still seated she turned in her chair to look over her shoulder; standing there in all his glory was her boyfriend of two years. He stood at about six foot two inches; his light blond hair was cut to perfection. Now his all too muscular arms were crossed over his equally muscular chest, light blue eyes set in daggers sent towards Samantha.
 
“Dash…what are you doing here?” Samantha asked completely shocked at his presence.
 
If there was one thing she knew, none of her friends would ever set foot in a place like this which was the main reasons she came here, she could be free: be herself.
 
“Your father sent me to find you, Samantha, he was worried about you.” He glanced at Daniel, “And as I can see, with good reason.”
 
Samantha pushed her chair back and stood up to face Dash, “Worried about me? Don't you mean worried about his image? I'm really sick and tired of being treated like this, why can't you just let me be, Dash?”
 
Dash frowned and walked closer to Samantha reaching out to pull her closer to him, “It's clear to me that I came at the right moment, who knows what this <i> punk</i> would have done if I hadn't shown up when I did.” He completely ignored her question; instead, he focused on the dark haired male and the empty glasses on the table.
 
Daniel took offence to that remark. “Hey, buddy, we were just talking, no need to rip my head off.” He looked to Samantha who was currently pinned to Dash's chest via the arm around her waist. “Are you okay, Sam?”
 
Samantha opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by Dash.
 
 
Dash's eyes flashed. “Sam?! How dare you speak so formally to her? You shouldn't even look at her, you piece of filth!”
 
“Cut it out Dash!” Samantha yelled roughly removing Dash's arm from around her and walking towards Daniel. “I'm sorry about this Danny, really, maybe it would be best if I left.”
 
Daniel tore his heated gaze from Dash long enough to look at Samantha. “…Yeah I guess you better go but, are you sure you'll be okay?”
 
Samantha smiled and placed a hand on his cheek, “Thanks for trying to save me but I can take care of my self.” Her hand left his face and moved down to the chest pocket of his shirt.
 
Daniel didn't even notice the slip of paper being placed in his pocket but nodded to Samantha. She chuckled to herself at the goofy grin on his face as she turned to leave with a seething Dash.
 
“And what in the world are you wearing?!” Dash's voice was heard from the door.
 
~*~*~
 
The ride home was an award one as Samantha sat across from Dash in her father's limo with her arms crossed and her gaze anywhere but on Dash.
 
Dashiel Baxter, heir to the Baxter fortune and according to her parents the only man worthy enough for Samantha to date. It was another of her parent's ideas that they started to date; of course, Samantha rebelled, doing everything and anything to get away from her parent's attempts to push them closer. Samantha even tried dating other people when she was `seeing' Dash but all her attempts were futile as her father's checks sent them running to the nearest bank faster that you could say `Dumpty Humpty.' After six long months Samantha finally gave in to her parent's demands and started to date Dash.
As it would turn out Dash wasn't all that bad, sure he was one of the snobbiest person Samantha had ever met, aside from her parents, but maybe that' s why her parents liked him so much. It wasn't hat Dash wasn't good looking, he was rather handsome and built too boot! Three years of continuous football practice, and games would do that to any teen and boy did they do wonders for Dash. Therefore, he was handsome, athletic and sometimes even nice but they had nothing in common. Dash wasn't in love with Samantha, at least not the real Samantha. He was in love with a shell, the shell Samantha had built up around herself for two years. That Samantha loved parties, pool parties, shopping, theater, banquettes, charity dinners, vacations on private Yates to private beaches and all that came with being rich. It's a pity you could be drowning in a room full of people and no one even notices…
 
“Are you even listening to me Samantha?” Dash's voice snapped Samantha back to the here and now.
 
“What?” She blinked and tuned from looking out the window to look at her boyfriend.
 
“See? This is what I'm talking about, what's going on with you tonight?” He reached over to clasp her hands in his own. “You sneak out of you room, worry your folks and <i>me </i> to death, and where do I find you? In some dark club drinking god knows what with some guy you don't know?!”
 
Samantha slapped her hand out of his grip, “Don't you lecture me Dash, I'm not some little child you can tell what to do! And for your information I like that club, I'll be lucky if I even get back in there after your performance tonight, you embarrassed m in there!”
 
“W-what? Embarrassed <i>you</i>! Wait will your father hears about his, he's going to freak? What if a reporter was in there tonight? If pictures of Jeremie and Pamela Manson's daughter and heir with some <i>nobody</i> ends up on the front page it'll be your father's ass on the line!”
 
“Why is everything about my father, this is <i>my</i> life we're talking about here!”
 
Dash sighs and ran a hand through his hair, “Samantha, sweetie, that's just it! You don't seem to realize that what you do, all of it, affects not just you but everyone around you as well!”
 
“Uggh, I hate this, sometimes I just wish I lived a different life. I'm sick of worrying about what everyone else thinks and says about my family-”
 
The limo pulled up to the estate and both Samantha and Dash exited, Samantha heading off in a blind rage. She didn't get too far before Dash caught up with her and stopped her.
 
“Why must you be so difficult Samantha, can't you see that your family is doing this because they love you…because I love you?” Dash pleaded with her.
 
Samantha wanted nothing more than to laugh in his face…except that Dash really did love her. It was creepy and <i>still</i> sent chills down her back every time he admitted it. By some odd twist of fate, Dash fell in love with Samantha and even though Samantha didn't return his feelings of love she didn't hate him either.
 
Samantha sighed and closed her eyes, “Look Dash it's really late and I have the feeling I'm going to get another lecture from my parents so why don't we just call this a night? You did your good deed and retuned me home so your name's still good in my dad's book.”
 
The `I love you' bit was always a touché subject for Samantha and usually ended up this way with Samantha making up some excuse to leave and Dash knew it and didn't want to push her…but soon, some day real soon she would have to admit it to herself that he was the one for her.
 
“Alright, you win, I'll back off…for now. I guess I'll see you in class tomorrow.” He kissed her softly before turning to leave.
 
Well one thing was for sure, Samantha was right, her parent's lecture was ten times worse that Dash's. It was like she had two sets of parents? Like her life wasn't a struggle as it was already? So with a few dozen warnings and a raid through her closet of all things `dark' Samantha went to bed. Sleep didn't come on swift wings for her this night. Too many questions kept running around in her mind.
 
~*~*~
 
The following morning Samantha arrived at Amity University both physically and mentally drained thanks to her previous night's festivities. All she wanted to do was start the new year nice and quietly…too bad Fate had other things in mind.
 
“Did you hear? I heard he used to live around here.”
 
“Yeah, six years ago! Isn't he the sexist thing you've ever seen?”
 
“I don't know… he's still dressed after all.”
 
Samantha rolled her eyes as yet another flock of girl passed her by in the halls. It seems the whole school was buzzing with news of a new student who arrived this morning and transferred in. But as annoying as it was Samantha could help but feel a little sorry for the poor sap, from the sounds of things the girls weren't going to give him a moments peace.
With one last look over her shoulder at the gossiping girls Samantha headed off to her first class of the morning. Too bad, she wasn't paying attention or she would have noticed the door to the principle's office opening and a figure walking out the room. She did however notice as she smacked head first into the person who stepped out into the hall.
 
 
“Oh! Oh I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking!”
 
“No it's my fault I should have looked before I walked out like that.”
 
There was a pregnant pause as both speakers recognized each other's voice, looked up and lavender meet baby blue.
 
“Sam?!”
 
“Danny?!”
 
The hall was filled with laughter as Daniel stood up and reached out to help Samantha do the same. After getting to their feet, Daniel bent down to retrieve their fallen books.
 
“What are you doing here? I've never seen you around here before.” Samantha asked as she accepted her books from Daniel.
 
Daniel smiled, “Well I would hope not, today's my first day here at Amity University, I just transferred.”
 
Samantha's jaw almost dropped as the piece began to come together. “You're the new guy the girls are dieing to see naked?!”
 
The words were out before Samantha could stop herself. Flushing a brilliant red she tried to pull her foot out of her mouth. “I-I mean you're the new guy I've been hearing about all morning, ahem, I never would have guessed.”
 
Daniel grinned from ear to ear. “I'll take that as a compliant and yeah that's me, guilty as charged.” He glanced down at his watch. “Do you mind if we walk and chat I don't want to be late for my first class?”
 
“Oh, not at all, as a matter of fact that sounds like a really good idea, I really don't want to add tardy on my first day back to the list of things my parents are chewing out of my hide.”
 
Daniel winced. “Things didn't go too well last night I'm guessing?”
 
“Ha, now there's the understatement of the century.” She sighed “It wasn't pretty, can we change the subject.”
 
Daniel nodded tucking his books under one arm and jamming his free hand into his pocket. “Sure, you can even pick the subject.” He smiled.
 
Whoever said yawing was contagious never saw Daniel smile, even though the troubles of the previous night were creeping back on her Samantha couldn't help but return the smile Daniel was giving her.
 
~*~*~
 
Samantha slipped into her desk and logged onto the computer station before her almost automatically. Seeing the empty seat next to hers Daniel did the same and with a little difficulty signed in as well, computers were never his thing, that was more Tucker's field of expertise.
 
“So your saying that rumor is true? You really did live here six years ago?” Samantha asked leaning back in her chair to watch him.
 
“…Yeah, I was born and raised here actually and lived here all my life up until I was fourteen.”
 
“Wow, why'd you move?”
 
Daniel glanced over at Samantha and searched her eyes for a moment. The question seemed easy enough to anyone who didn't know about his past here and Amity Park. The answer to that question was one he hoped he would never have to explain but Samantha seems interested learning about him. She wasn't after his family's secret's or even our to kill or maim him and Daniel had to admit it was different and he liked this different.
Daniel sighed and turned to face Samantha, maybe he could trust her? It was as that moment when the professor entered the room and called for the rooms attention. Samantha gave him a little smile and mouthed that they would talk later.
 
“So I hear that we have a new student in the class? Okay, where is he, this,” The professor pulled out the class roster. “This Daniel Fenton?”
 
Everything seemed to move in slow motion then as every head in the room turned to look at Daniel. Thirty pairs of eyes seemed to enlarged at the exact same time as a look of horror, panic and a few other emotions Daniel couldn't place ran across everyone's faces. Daniel sighed inwardly, he was expecting this kind of reaction when his last name got out but when he tuned to look at Samantha the look of shock on her face made Daniels stomach drop to his big toe. Without thinking about how it would look or even his attendance on the first day of class Daniel Fenton did something he hadn't done in six years…he ran.
 
 
TBC…
 
Well another chapter out, man it feels so good to be finished^_^
I feel a bit odd about Sam and Dash's fight scene, it didn't turn out the way I saw it in my head a few days ago but it's not too bad either.
As usual, any and all comments are welcomed here so don't be shy!
Have something your confused about let me know and I'll do my best to help out.