Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Card Captor Mikami ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. Card Captor Sakura belongs to CLAMP and Kodansha. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Don't steal and don't sue. Thank you *Phantomness bows*
Chapter 6
 
“Mikami-san…” The woman said quietly. The prosecutor glanced up from his laptop, frowning. “Yes, Konno-san?”
“I… I was wondering if you would like to go on a date with me.” The woman blushed. She was unused to being forward, but Mikami-san was so reclusive!
Black eyes narrowed from behind their lenses. “I apologize.” Mikami said. “But I am not interested.”
Konno-san looked crushed, and he said nothing more as he turned back to his work.
How could he be so heartless?
She patted her eyes hastily with a Kleenex, and left the room before she did something she might regret later.
 
“Welcome home!” Cerberus chirped. Mikami nodded, hanging up his coat by the door as he set his briefcase down. The guardian was sprawled in front of the television surrounded by a multitude of sweet wrappers.
“Hello, Cerberus.” Mikami said quietly. “Have you felt any new Cards recently?”
“No.” The little winged teddy bear said. “I'm sorry.”
Mikami nodded, and said no more. Perhaps he ought to be more patient… the Cards did not arrive daily, after all.
No matter how much he wished to help Kira with his limited means, he could not control as much as he wished. It was a pity.
But really, he could not ever have chosen Konno-san. He was devoted to Kira only, and though his vows were internal, they were as sacred a binding as marriage.
Kira-sama…
 
He found the office in a state of chaos when he arrived the next day. The equipment had been strewn every which way, and some of it had even wound up tied to the roof. He felt a prickle run down his spin and pool in his fingertips, and he nodded.
So. A Clow Card had been here. Now he simply would have to figure out which one it was, and check with Cerberus.
He picked up his cell phone and dialed.
 
“Hmm…” Cerberus sounded unsure, and Mikami heard suspiciously light music in the background. “It could be the work of several cards. Maybe Move, or Float… those are primarily interested in moving things around. Or it could just be vandalism… but you definitely felt the aura of a Card?”
“Yes.” Mikami confirmed.
“Then we should wait until tonight to check it out.”
“Understood.” He hung up, and then rolled up his sleeves and got to work with the rest of the staff. It took several hours to get the room back into working order, and they had to call in a man to get their office equipment off the roof. Little actual casework was done that day.
 
That night, Mikami and Cerberus returned. The guardian nodded as he glanced around, his little wings fluttering in the night air.
“A Card was definitely here…” Cerberus opened his mouth to say more, but Mikami caught a flicker of light and hastily moved out of the way. A tendril of inky black oozed out towards him, and he frowned.
“I take it that is our target?” He asked, eyes settling on crimson as he mentally reached for Libra's power.
“The Shadow Card.” Cerberus told him. “It can capture the shadows from other creatures and use them to move and attack with. It will be hard for you to find it.”
Mikami nodded, slowly, as he shifted the Sealing Wand in his hands. “I have an idea.” He flicked the card out, struck it. “Sword.”
The wand in his hand changed, glowed, turned into a slender rapier, with a ruby studded in the hilt. With a smile, Mikami lunged forwards, and managed to pin the edge of the shade.
“Good idea!” Cerberus shouted. “The Sword Card will keep Shadow from escaping!”
The shadows began to coalesce around them, forming a hooded figure reminiscent of a grim reaper. Mikami's eyes strained to pick it out in the dark, as there were few streetlights around. However, there was a clear moon… perhaps…
If he could use the moonlight to dispel the shadows, then Shadow's power would weaken, correct?
It was worth a shot.
 
Mikami slid another Card out. It would have to be quick, but he thought he could manage it. Cerberus watched anxiously as he struck the card with the Sealing Staff, the transformation to Sword melting away.
Shadow pulled away, freed, and seeped into the ground again, at the same instant, Mikami cried “Mirror.”
The Mirror card merged with the Sealing Wand and formed into a shiny silver disk in his hands, with two tasseled handles. He caught the moonlight at an angle, and shone it brightly towards the ground. Shadow cried out in surprise at the unexpected brightness. The light kept it trapped, unmoving, and Cerberus breathed a sigh of relief.
“Good job, Teru!” Cerberus chirped. As they watched, Shadow wilted, shrunk in on itself in the bright light. After a few moments, it was little more than a tired-looking black mass on the ground.
Mikami shifted Mirror back into the Wand, smiled. “Return to the guise you were meant to be in, Clow Card.” He said quietly.
Shadow's threads were black as it was sucked in, but it took card form, and he penned his name with a smile. Such an ally would be valuable. He wondered idly if it could cloak the owner in darkness as well, and hide them from prying eyes.
He could experiment with it later. For now, he had work to do.
The two of them returned to his motorcycle, as the Wand shrank back into key form, and slipped into his pocket.
“Can we get pudding now?” Cerberus asked hopefully.
Mikami chuckled. “I suppose.”
He was one step closer to Kira, and his eventual goal.
 
End Chapter
Completed 2/21/07
Stupid Writer's Block…