Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter Six
 
In the next few weeks, Raito told Kurosaki of plan B and C, should anything happen to Raito. Raito also continued investigating the Kira case, trying to force his hand to reveal himself, yet, nothing came up. Raito continued to lead the team on a wild goose chase with more false evidence left behind by Kurosaki Dante. For every time Raito saw Ryuuzaki frown, or growing frustrated, he had to force himself not to celebrate, shout, smile, or even a hint of a smirk. Allowing Ryuuku to be his only outlet for all his machinations in his mind. Hearing the shinigami laugh was the best way to control himself more easily.
 
One day, a month after the Kira Gathering, Ryuuzaki paused a video, picked up a taffy and began chewing on it in thought.
 
“What is it, Ryuuzaki?” Mogi asked.
 
“Kira is very clever, it's getting difficult to ever catch him at this rate. All of the evidence we have found, are pretty useless,” he answered, then looked at Raito, “You, as the suspect, have grown to ten percent, because I do not know who else it could be. According to most of the evidence up to about a month ago, have shown you as Kira.”
 
Raito simply looked back at Ryuuzaki with a neutral gaze, his mind wondering where L was going with this.
 
“So, are you saying that you have no option but to take me as Kira?” Raito asked.
 
“Yes, that is what I am inferring, ever since the Ray Penber incident and the fact that Naomi M. disappeared must have had something to do with…” Ryuuzaki said, gnawing on his thumb, “something. What do you think, Raito?”
 
“I do not know if he somehow met Kira in person and accidentally gave him his name,” Raito said, leaning forward and rested his elbow on the table, supporting his face with his hand.
 
“Yes, it is possible… Yet, that is not possible because I have strictly given the orders to FBI agents to never divulge their names under any circumstances.”
 
“Maybe that was the very reason—you were perhaps too strict and that is probably why Penber didn't want report to that he was forced to share his name… Kira is rather crafty,” Raito said.
 
“We will have to look over his notes that he took, perhaps we have simply overlooked some detail in his notes or when we were watching the two families, including you. No one exhibited an odd behavior that would suggest that they were Kira. That is the only thing that is making this case difficult.”
 
“So, what do you want me to do? Be tethered to you?” Raito asked, raising his hands in exasperation.
 
“If I have further evidence to prove that you are Kira,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“I see, so you would do that even if it inconveniences me or you?” Raito asked, raising an eyebrow.
 
Mentally, he reminded himself to proceed with Plan B tonight.
 
“Yes, only if I do find more proof to support the evidence,” Ryuuzaki.
 
Raito looked at his father and saw his resigned look on his face.
 
“I'm sorry father, this must be very distressing for you… the fact that I might be Kira… is too scary of a thought for even me. Maybe… maybe I am Kira,” Raito said slowly, looking at his hands “unconsciously killing them.”
 
“Raito!” Chief Yagami exclaimed.
 
Ryuuzaki cleared his throat.
 
“As I mentioned, you exhibited no odd behavior when we watched you, not even in your sleep, you also had no knowledge of the criminals that had died that day they were broadcasted,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“Oh, I see… not even in my sleep?” Raito asked, frowning.
 
“Right,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“That's a relief,” he said with an exhale of relief.
 
“I wouldn't relax just yet, Raito-kun.”
 
 
“Kurosaki-san, we need to proceed with Plan B tonight,” Raito said on the phone just outside Kyashita station.
 
“Really? Something came up?” he asked.
 
“Of course, meet me at Kyashita station as soon as you can, I will leave a key under the first trash bin in the men's restroom for the locker. I will leave the Death Note with you and keep up with the judgments. When can you get here?”
 
“In about ten minutes, I live in this area,” he replied.
 
“Oh really? Okay, I will not be around when you pick up the Note.”
 
“All right, just give me a call when you are able to resume your duties,” Dante said.
 
“Thank you Kurosaki-san, good bye, and I trust you to do the right thing. Do not do anything foolish,” Raito said
 
`Such as declaring yourself as the new Kira or kill anyone needlessly,' he thought to himself.
 
“I understand,” he said, “I am only too happy to be your assistant. Good night Kira.”
 
“Good night,” Raito said and hung up the phone.
 
He walked to the bathroom in the station and looked around to make sure that no one was around and approached a trash bin. He tilted the bin and snuck the key underneath it. He had gone home to pick up the Death Note from the secret compartment and brought it to this station, put it in one of the lockers. He looked at the key and saw that it had its number on it to indictate which locker it belonged to and then had saw the bathroom was a little busy so Raito decided to call Kurosaki then.
 
“Well, I suppose you can either stay with me or go with Kurosaki, Ryuuku,” Raito said, leaving the bathroom. He walked a distance away from the bathroom door and hid himself in a dark area to make sure that it was the right person that got his Death Note.
 
“I think I will stay with you so that I can watch the drama unfold,” Ryuuku replied, chuckling, “it is more interesting than watching a man who doesn't go out that often and killing people off day in and day out.”
 
“Mmm, I can understand that.”
 
They remained silent, waiting for Kurosaki to show up and few moments later, Raito saw him coming on a bike. Casually, he stopped, got off, parked and walked to the bathroom. Then came out few minutes later, looking around to make sure he was not being watched or noticed. Kurosaki walked to the lockers and looked at the key and then found the locker's number. After opening it, he took out the Death Note and looked around again, afraid. He immediately put the Death Note into his book bag and walked back to his bike quickly.
 
Raito watched him leave and then walked to the train tracks, waiting to board one that will take him home, satisfied for now. He felt confident that this was the right action to take. He could allow himself to be tethered to Ryuuzaki if need be until he was free of suspicion.
 
 
The next day, Raito looked at Ryuuku before entering the hotel.
 
“You know, this could be the last time I will be able to talk to you this freely. Anything can—quite literally—happen. So, if you want me to answer a question or anything, say it now.”
 
Ryuuku chuckled and looked up in thought, “well, how long do you think this will last?”
 
“Hopefully not more than a month, less would be ideal. If you need apples, you can always go to Kurosaki and get some there. Or, you know, steal some from the shops if you don't have any of those sort of morals.”
 
“I do have morals, I won't steall anything that isn't paid for, it's part of our ethics as a shinigami. So, I will have to take up on visiting Kurosaki.”
 
“I thought you would say that you would visit, but not the apples… well, here's the note to give him. It will explain everything to him about the existence of shinigami so it will be explained more clearly than you had been with me.”
 
“You didn't understand me?” Ryuuku asked with a slight surprise look.
 
“I did, I just had to piece the information you gave me more carefully, if you told anyone else, they wouldn't have been able to process anything you said. Well, I must head in, bye Ryuuku,” Raito said, walking out of an alcove and entered the hotel foyer.
 
After reaching the room, he settled himself into an easy chair, accepting Watari's homemade chocolate chip cookies still warm from the oven.
 
“And here's a milk to wash it down with,” he said, giving Raito a cup of milk.
 
“Thank you Watari-san,” Raito said with a small bow and took the cup.
 
“So, what anything new to discuss, Ryuuzaki?” he asked, eating his cookie.
 
“Besides stating that construction of our Headquarters have begun? No, I have not thought of anything to crack the Kira case. Yet, ever since you mentioned that you could be tethered to me… I would like to do that just to… just in case.”
 
“Just in case? But what about my classes? Yours?” he asked, frowning, “all just to assuage your suspicion of me?”
 
“Only on a voluntary basis, it will easily clear your name, you know,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
Raito let out a disgruntled sigh, bowing his head and sagged his shoulders.
 
“I would like to do it, Ryuuzaki-san, but I don't think I can…”
 
Ryuuzaki stared at Raito, making Raito shift uncomfortably.
 
“I … I guess I have no choice,” Raito said, closing his eyes in defeat.
 
“Ryuuzaki… isn't there any other way? I don't want his studies to be interrupted!”
 
“Not to worry, Yagami-san, I actually am enrolled in all of his classes next term, which starts in two weeks.”
 
Raito looked up, with surprise and eagerness in his eyes. “Really? If I had known that, I would have volunteered myself sooner.”
 
“I only registered for the classes last night, so there's no need for that. I actually anticipated this.”
 
“Oh, I see… how are you going to do this?” Raito asked.
 
“Watari, would you get that thing please,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“Yes Ryuuzaki,” he said, bowing and then left the room.
 
No one spoke, wondering what item Ryuuzaki had Watari bring to them. Raito sat there, running several possibilities, one with some sort of a radio, or tracking technology that kept him in the same room at Ryuuzaki. He noticed that Watari returned with a small box and heard chinking sounds emanating from it.
 
“Thank you, Watari,” Ryuuzaki said, taking the box with his fingers and set them on the table.
 
He proceeded to open the box and took out a ten foot long chain handcuffs. Raito widened at the handcuffs and frowned, looking at Ryuuzaki.
 
“Isn't that—a little barbaric?” Matsuda asked, “neither of you will have privacy.”
 
“I don't care about my privacy at this point,” Ryuuzaki said bluntly, taking the handcuffs to Raito, “do you?”
 
“Well, I do, but I will have to adapt I suppose,” Raito said, sticking his left wrist out for Ryuuzaki.
 
He clamped the handcuffs on Raito and nodded in agreement, “yes, you will have plenty of time to adapt. This is just to prove that you are indeed innocent from all the evidence that pointed to you.”
 
Ryuuzaki then put the handcuff onto his own right wrist. He looked at Raito, smiled and said.
 
“So, it begins.”
 
“Indeed,” Raito said, “what should we do now?”
 
“Let's become better friends, we don't want to irritate each other the first week with our odd habits,” he replied and Raito chuckled.
 
“I agree, all right, since I'm never the last to leave, when does everyone but Watari leave?” he asked, looking around the room.
 
“Chief Yagami is usually the last to leave and that is around midnight, earlier if there was nothing to work with that day,” Aizawa replied, saving Ryuuzaki the need to answer the question.
 
“Ah, that would explain why I never see him come home most of the time,” Raito said.
 
“Yes, so, are you hungry?” Ryuuzaki asked, picking up a tea cup and sipped.
 
“Hmm, yeah,” Raito thought to himself, “yeah, I actually am.”