Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter Five
 
On the day of the event, Raito sat down in a sofa chair in front of nine stacked televisions, each screen split to four different viewing perspective. Raito looked at each television, getting his bearings on the Kira Gathering, as it came to be called.
 
“I'm quite impressed, there's almost enough cameras to cover nearly every part of the event,” Raito commented.
 
“Yes, we ended up using the thief, as some… problems arose. They felt that it was a threat to their leader,” Ryuuzaki explained.
 
“I see, that's understandable, they don't want Kira apprehended and end their idealistic justice era.”
 
“Right,” Ryuuzaki said, and looked at Raito, “which is what we want, of course.”
 
“Of course,” Raito said, looking back at the screens, “when will people start arriving?”
 
“In about an hour, they're only setting things up right now. It's possible that Kira isn't one of them because… well, I don't think he would want to be that involved in this type of event when he knows he is being tracked.”
 
“What we will be looking for are suspicious characters, or anything out of oridinary,” Raito said.
 
“Correct, it will be difficult if there are too many people at once, but perhaps, Kira will stay away from large groups and stay on the outside, to admire the many people that believe in his ideals,” Ryuuzaki said, picking up a donut ball, observing it, “I would expect that it will be very gratifying for him.”
 
He then ate the donut, licking his lips for the glaze.
 
“Yes, I would think that of Kira too,” Raito said.
 
`And indeed, it does feel good to be believed in by so many people, and seeing this on television…' he thought to himself, `this is better than simply looking at websites dedicated to Kira—to me.'
 
He wish he could laugh right now but disallowed himself that privilege at the moment, simply satisfy to himself hear Ryuuku laughing to his heart's content, imagining himself echoing the laughters.
 
For the next three hours, he, Ryuuzaki, Utika, Matsuda and Watari wrote down their observations, as well as communicating with his father, Mogi and Aizawa. Raito hadn't seen any man disguised marking the phrase down somewhere. He told himself that it was only a matter of time and he continued to wait.
 
Raito looked at the top right television and noticed in the bottom left screen that someone was writing something on a picnic table with a sharpie marker. He smirked to himself and then pointed at the man.
 
“He's doing something there,” Raito said, trusting Dante's abilities to disguise himself. He knew that this was, by far, the most riskiest venture yet.
 
The group observed him while Ryuuzaki told the men on the scene to head for the table immediately. Raito noticed that it would take Aizawa, the person closest to Kurosaki, would get there in about fifty seconds. He waited for his assistant to hurry up and leave, Kurosaki was sighted now.
 
If he left this phrase only once, then—well, he knew that his sentence have now grabbed everyone's attention. The best thing for him right now, Raito thought, is to get out of there.
 
“Please hurry, I would like to apprehend him today,” Ryuuzaki said, and Raito noticed that a single sweat was beaded on his forehead.
 
Raito smirked, realizing that this was becoming a rush for Ryuuzaki. Raito watched the screens with anticipation, willing himself to wish to get Dante out of there now.
 
In the middle television set, on the top right screen, Raito saw him leaving, disappearing behind the wooden fences, hiding his next direction to take.
 
“Hurry now! He's left the premises behind the wooden fences!” Ryuuzaki barked, causing his men on the scene to run faster, and ingored all pretenses of being a regular civilian.
 
Half hour of pursuit, Ryuuzaki called off the search with a sigh, “he escaped.”
 
Raito sighed in relief, disguising it as merely frustrated with the Kira case.
 
“Well, we know what he looks like now, so it's only a matter of time,” Raito said, looking at Ryuuzaki.
 
“Yes, you are right, we must also see what message he left behind on that table. And to search other areas to see if he left any other. Please tell us what you have found.”
 
“Will do, Ryuuzaki,” Aizawa said as the four men began searching for any messages left.
 
“Hey, I found one!” Chief Yagami said, “It says… I don't understand it but you might, Ryuuzaki…”
 
“What is it?” Ryuuzaki asked.
 
“Shinigami aren't doing their jobs.”
 
“Shinigami aren't… doing their jobs?” Ryuuzaki replied, frowning, “keep searching.”
 
Ten minutes later, they found a third one after the picnic table, all bore the same message. Ryuuzaki chewed on his thumb in though, wondering what the message meant.
 
“Maybe that is the motive behind Kira's? That he believes that whatever shingami are doing, aren't doing what he wants them to,” Raito offered a suggestion.
 
“That would be interesting, like the `shinigami only eats apples,' but that doesn't mean anything. I wonder, I wonder if they're real in the first place? Or just a figment of Kira's imagination, to lead us on a wild goose chase. There must be more messages somewhere, somewhere we've overlooked, men, please keep searching.”
 
“We are, we've covered about fifty-percent of the premises. It would be faster if all these damn people would stay out of my way,” Mogi said.
 
“Well, we do have all day, so you don't need to hurry, we're currently doing an research on the `Kira' person, we've only caught one clear view of his face, so hopefully, that will lead to somewhere. At least with these cameras, they're clear,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“Oh okay, keep us posted on that, maybe he lives near here so if you find out before we leave and…”
 
“Yes, we will let you know,” Ryuuzaki said, “though, I might just let the police handle the act of apprehending Kira since we don't know how he kills.”
 
“Oh, right, there is that,” Mogi said, “we really should find out how he kills.”
 
“Yes…” Ryuuzaki said.
 
They kept looking for other clues left behind Kira, but none were found, even when they searched the premises over again more carefully. Ryuuzaki then made the decision for the men to come back to the headquarters. Ryuuzaki picked up another delicacy to eat, a sweet, sugary type of fudge while he thought, reviewing the phrase over in his head. He chewed softly and slowly, as he tried piecing the clues together.
 
“Perhaps, he is leading us on a wild goose chase,” he muttered to himself, licking his fingers, “or it is something, a code for something else. Perhaps it is the police, but they don't just eat apples…”
 
“Apples could mean something else entirely, if we were to take the shinigami to be some sort of code,” Raito said, leaning back in thought.
 
“Right, that would make sense, but apples and shinigami could mean anything, Raito-kun. So, unless we have more… something from Kira. What we ought to do is to find any traceable evidences accidentally left behind by him,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“Yeah, there's only one problem, he can kill anyone from anywhere at anytime without needing to be in person. How can we capture such a guy who commits the perfect crime?” Utika asked, rubbing his forehead in thought.
 
No one, not even Ryuuzaki had anything to comment on or answer the question for several silent terse minutes.
 
Raito sighed loudly to break the silence and said, “Well, we will have to force his hands more so he could leave traces. All we can do is keep waiting for something to turn up.”
 
“Yes, that is what I also believe on both counts, that is all we can do,” Ryuuzaki said, bowing his head, “in this case, he has won against us. He would never allow himself to be caught if this is kept up. If nothing is done to change the situation, Kira may as well as rule the world with a powerful hand for decades. Perhaps, maybe there is some sort of communication between Kira and anyone else. That… should give us something.”
 
They heard the door opening and closing after several people entered and Mogi called out to them saying that they were back. Few moments later, they arrived and everyone sat around in a circle to discuss their findings, theories and other related topic of conversation.
 
After an inconclusive ending to their meeting, Raito took his leave for home, exhausted for keeping up his act for longer than usual without a break. He could only imagine how much it would tax him if he was literally tethered to him. Next to being caught, that was the next worse thing that could happen to him.
 
Raito stopped by a phone booth and called Kurosaki.
 
Moshi, moshi,” he answered.
 
“Hello, just wanted to say that you did an excellent job, all went to plan. Thank you,” Raito said.
 
“Oh, that's good, I thought I was being chased—was I?” he asked.
 
“You were, I actually worried for a moment, but everything's okay now. However, I will have to think of a plan should anything happen to me—would you temporarily take over my job for awhile in the eventuality that I am detained for whatever reason?”
 
“I would be honored,” Dante said.
 
“Okay, just wanted to ask so that I can think of many possible plans to take. All right, I will call you if anything comes up, do not worry if I don't call you for days or weeks. However, I will call you in a few days, maybe a week, to let you know of a certain thing should anything happen to me, for example, there are no more lives of criminals being judge or the police go public with my capture,” Raito said, “other than that, just live your life and forget about me. Thank you for assisting me, Dante-san, bye.”
 
“Anything for you, Kira. All right, bye Kira.”
 
Raito hung the phone and resumed walking to the station to head home.