Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter Four
 
Ryuuzaki looked at Aizawa who cleared his throat to speak after a long discussion about the gathering of Kira believers. Ryuuzaki put seven sugar cubes into his tea, waiting for Aizawa to speak his thoughts.
 
“Do you guys really think Kira will show up there?” Aizawa asked, stroking his chin in thought, “I mean, I think he would because he can see what sort of people are there who support his ideals.”
 
“No, I don't think would risk such a venture, even as an average person. If Kira is really who I think he is as a person, he won't even think of it,” Ryuuzaki said, sipping his tea.
 
“So, you won't send anyone there? Not even in case?” Mogi asked, frowning.
 
“Incorrect, I am assigning three people to that very task, just to pick up any information at all. We may even find out if there are any accomplices. Though, I think he still acts alone since he doesn't need any assistance from others—until the latest sting at the very least.”
 
“Who will be going, then?” Matsuda asked.
 
“Chief Yagami, Mogi and Aizawa will go,” Ryuuzaki said, setting his tea down on the tea plate, “as for the rest of you, you will be communicating with them via transmissions. I will try to set up cameras, but I do not know whether they will allow it, so I will hire a thief in that eventuality.”
 
“A thief?” asked Raito, raising an eyebrow.
 
“She is a very accomplished at what she does. She is excellent at breaking in and setting up cameras. That is, if the normal way of setting them up is not possible,” Ryuuzaki explained.
 
“I see…” Raito said, appearing unconvinced.
 
“She is also someone who would not be reported to the public media, because governments and famous people have used her talents in the past. As have I, she is very useful. Now, Watari, could you see if…”
 
“I am already several steps ahead of you,” he said and bowed deeply, “I have arranged to set up cameras with a trusted group of people. If they are unable, I have her number on standby.”
 
“Thank you, Watari. Raito, I hope you are not put out at not being able to be a part of the scene out there, but with your talents, we can see all the details without skipping a beat and figure things out from there.”
 
“I figured as much,” Raito said, drinking his coffee, “It will be good to have something to work with this weekend without worrying about other people who aren't involved.”
 
`Speaking of which, in this case, I will send Kurosaki in my place and, perhaps, have him bring Suzuki Kaji too… no, that is too risy, Suzuki saw my face,' he thought, `Hm… I wonder what sort of false evidence I can plant?'
 
“Right, Raito, that is one of the reasons why I want you to stay here, and even if you're Kira—” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“Please…! This sort of talk, even theoretically,” Yagami said, appearing stricken, “I don't want to hear it. Raito is my son.
 
“I know Yagami-san,” Ryuuzaki said, tilting his head down, “But currently, he is our only suspect.”
 
Raito's father sighed, and shook his head.
 
“I understand what you are saying, but counting him as our suspect gets me involved emotionally. Raito… I really believe that you aren't Kira. I have watched you grow up, so, this isn't just possible,” he said with a sigh.
 
Raito did not say anything to say and kept silent, cheering for himself mentally, then looked at Ryuuzaki.
 
“What else would you like to have us investigate now or to go over?” he asked.
 
“There is nothing else to do but wait. Watari is, as you know, getting things ready for the event this weekend.”
 
“What happens if Kira is unable to show up, whether it is his decision or held up by some unforeseen circumstances, what would we be looking for?” Raito asked.
 
“You know as well as I do, Raito-kun, there will be something, with or without him.”
 
 
Later that day, Raito took a short trip to a phone booth and called Kurosaki on his cell phone. With the knowledge that he lived at a New Start, there would be other people milling about. He knew he took a risk in calling him the first time and had no idea how risky it had been. Raito knew he should have looked him up online but with no means to do that while trying to get a hold of someone that Suzuki Kaji had suggested, and no time at all. Tonight, he would look up more about him.
 
Moshi, moshi,” Dante answered.
 
“You alone?” Raito asked.
 
“Yeah, I took a step outside the building when the phone rang. Have you come up with a plan for this weekend?”
 
“I do, I won't be able to come myself, however, if you want to go, I would like you to leave some false evidence for the investigators to work with. Can you do that?”
 
“Yes, that should be easy enough, depending on what I have to do,” Dante said.
 
“You'll leave a phrase at three different location, and you should be careful not to let any cameras catch you in the action.”
 
“So, they're putting cameras up? I should use a disguise in that case, I'm pretty handy with them ever since I have come back out from my hikikomori life,” Dante said, “so, even if they caught me, they won't be able to find out who I am.”
 
“How good?”
 
“Let's just say that I fooled an investigator once, he never saw through the disguise. Said he was real impressed when he found out because he usually could figure out if it is a disguise or not.”
 
“Excellent. Here's the phrase I want you to spread around, so memorize it, `shinigami aren't doing their jobs,'” Raito said, ignoring Ryuuku's chuckle at the sentence.
 
“Shinigami aren't doing their jobs?” Dante repeated in confusion.
 
“Yes, there's no real deep meaning, but that should let the investigators know that Kira, or at least, his assistant is at the event. Nothing more.”
 
“That's interesting, okay, I'll start working on my disguise,” he said.
 
“Sounds good then, bye Kurosaki,” Raito said.
 
“Bye.”
 
Raito hung his phone up, and looked at Ryuuku, smirking.
 
“This is going to go well, but I need to start working on a way to find out L's name. It's not going anywhere…” Raito said, stroking his chin in thought and began walking back home.
 
“You could always trade eyes for half your remaining lifespan…” Ryuuku said.
 
“Ryuuku, don't even mention the deal to me again because you're only wasting your breath,” he said, “Now, I wonder if we can be closer in terms of friends. Not sure how I can manage that. If I have to, I'll even pretend to be his lover.”
 
Raito shuddered at the thought and shook his head.
 
`I must try every means, or else I won't be able to get this problem out of my way any time soon.'
 
Ryuuku laughed while Raito thought to himself. He, shinigami, could not wait to see how far Raito would go to get the real name. If he knew that the trip to his humble abode would take less than three days to travel, he would have gone to his friends and let them know what humans are up to. Since it did take four days one way, eight round trip, he didn't want to miss the main event.