Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter Three
 
Raito entered a phone booth and he put in some coins then dialed the number.
 
Moshi, moshi,” a woman answered the phone.
 
`Hm? His wife? Who's this?' Raito wandered and slipped into a conversational tone.
 
“Hello, may I speak with Kurosaki Dante-san?”
 
Ano…” she said hesitantly. Um. “I am not to disturb him in his study… can I have him call you back?”
 
“No, tell him it's the man with number four-three-three-five. He'll know to come and answer,” Raito said, “It's an emergency.”
 
A-ano, all right,” she said and put Raito on hold.
 
Raito waited about ten seconds when Dante came on the line.
 
“Good evening, Unimagi-san, how are you?”
 
“I'll assume you're not alone,” Raito said.
 
“Yeah, I'm fine, just coping with other residents in this New… er, Start place. How about you?”
 
`New Start? Is he a hikikomori? That should be even better since he won't talk to other people very much… Then that woman must have been their `mother.''
 
“I need to give you something and it's really risky. The time lapse between the broadcast and the time of death was too suspicious. Do you have a cell phone that you can send photos?”
 
“Really? Huh… No I don't, Unimagi-san, I never saw the need to, but now one of my friends has text messaging and you want one too, so I have a more of a need to get my own cell phone, I'll try and get a cell phone with that, tonight maybe.”
 
“Please do get now, memorize the number for sending photos, but do not put any names in the text message with or without it. Don't even save the number in the contacts. It is imperative for you to only memorize the number. Page me and I will call you and then send me the photo once I have the name,” Raito said, then told him his cell phone number.
 
“Got all that?” Raito asked Dante.
 
“Yeah I do, I'll do all that and if something comes up, I'll let you know…” Kurosaki said, and then recited the number to make sure he has the number right.
 
“Thank you, send me a test photo when you get it so I know you have it, and that I have your number. I will call you on your new phone so that your dormmates or your `mother' won't answer it,” Raito said, “well then, good night, Kurosaki-san.”
 
“Thank you Unimagi-san, I can't wait to have the phone, good night.”
 
Two hours later, Raito received a photo message and noticed that it was a picture of some magazines off a rack in a convenience store. Raito smirked to himself, he would throw the investigation with unpredictable time of deaths. All he would have to do is wait for the next sting they would be cooking up. He knew he should have done this sooner, but lately, each night, his father had been coming home with Raito for some `father-son bonding,' as Chief Yagami called it.
 
The issue settled for the time being, he bid good night to Ryuuku and went to sleep.
 
 
The next morning, Raito stretched in his bed after shutting the alarm clock, he looked at Ryuuku who stared back and he rolled his eyes.
 
“If it were anyone else, you would have given them an heart attack if you were the first thing they saw when they wake up,” Raito said and chuckled at the unintended pun.
 
“You're not like most humans, Raito,” Ryuuku said, chuckling.
 
“Do you always laugh at everything?” he asked, getting dressed.
 
“I don't know, do I?” Ryuuku asked, picking up an apple from a fresh basket Raito picked up on the way home from the phone booth the night before.
 
“You're easily amused, I suppose,” Raito said as he fitted his tie in front of a mirror.
 
“So, what will you do today, Raito? More school?” he asked as he ate his apple.
 
“No, you forget that today I don't have classes, so I'll be doing business until I have to come in to see L,” he said, sitting down and turned on the television.
 
He took the Death Note out of the hiding spot in the drawer and readied his pen, watching the news. Raito noted that there was a breach of a local bank last night and seven people were involved. One killed a security. Raito narrowed his eyes and clicked his tongue, writing down the names of the seven people down in the Death Note, taking their lives.
 
`That'll teach them that even in large numbers, or how many accomplices used, no one is safe from my judgments,' he thought, writing the last of the seven names down and then flipped the channel to watch for more news.
 
After an half hour's worth of doing work, something on the local news caught his attention and he narrowed his eyes in suspicion.
 
“All who support Kira must come for a gathering! I do hope that Kira himself will be among us this weekend! This is just simply a gathering grounds of like-minded people who share the same belief in how justice must be dealt out. We'll even discuss who's worthy to live, if there are any crime at all that is not deserving of death,” the informal announcer said, “Then there is the matter of criminals who are not publicized in the public domain, I believe that they, the police, must release these sort of information. I can only imagine what Kira is trying to do to get such access to top-secret criminals.”
 
`Who the hell is this guy?' he wondered and his pager vibrated, alerting to him that Kurosaki needed to talk to him. `Now? Maybe he caught this news broadcast too…'
 
His cell phone began ringing and Raito checked to see who it was and it was Ryuuzaki's phone.
 
`Well now…' Raito thought and sighed.
 
He gathered himself back together and answered the phone.
 
Moshi, moshi.
 
“Hello Raito-kun, do you have the local news on?” Ryuuzaki asked, “There's something interesting occurring.”
 
“Yeah, I just turned it on few minutes ago, it certainly is interesting. The possibility of Kira being there would be something else. If only we had more clues to go on, like what sort of person he is, what he looks like… or how to drag him out.”
 
“Yes… I was going to say all of that, Raito-kun…” Ryuuzaki said and fell into silence, both thinking hard for different reasons.
 
“Are you able to come over here sooner—?” he asked.
 
“Oh, yes, of course, we will have to think over this event carefully,” Raito said, “I will be there in less than an hour depending on the traffic.”
 
“Okay Raito-kun, I'll see you soon,” he said and both hung up.
 
Raito exhaled, relaxing his shoulders for the moment.
 
“Ah, yes, Kurosaki,” Raito muttered to himself, remembering, “let's go, Ryuuku, I think today is going to be interesting.”
 
Ryuuku merely grinned with anticipation, waiting to see what humans sort of entertainment he will watch. Few minutes later, he watched Raito phone his assistant and talked about the broadcast of Kira gathering grounds. Ryuuzaki heard a few bits, but on the whole, Raito sounded unsure of whether or not to go. Raito, unsure of himself in that moment, humans really are peculiar creatures. Ryuuku would have to make a trip back to the rotten place and let other shinigami know what humans could do for their boredom. Right now, he would keep this to himself, he was having so much fun with the humans. It was beyond hilarity.
 
He watched his human companion, still chuckling to himself, yes, this was the human that brought him much questions about the way shinigami, humans, everything in this life, worked, as well as amusing him to no end. He always enjoyed surprises at every turn, not wanting to hear the machinations of Raito's, preferring to find out along with everyone else. If he knew what would happen, then there wasn't much fun to be had, or anything amusing about the situation.
 
Except for, of course, being amused by how much Raito managed to complete his plans—a success or a complete failure. The new round of duel was about to start between Ryuuzaki and Raito. He knew what `L's' real name is, and would have told Raito if he wanted to, but that wasn't in his nature. He was glad that he dropped the notebook in the human world, and had never imagined that a single human like Raito could bring so much hilarity, excitement and unpredictability that made him forget that he had been bored.
 
“Ryuuku?” Raito asked seemingly for the umpteenth time.
 
Ryuuzaki looked at the human, feeling distracted.
 
“What, Raito?
 
“Hmm… Nothing, you just seemed really deep in thought. I just hope you haven't broke your brain just now.”
 
Ryuuku chuckled, that Raito, he would never cease to amuse him.
 
“Of course I can question the deep thoughts like what is the meaning of a shinigami's life, Raito,” Ryuuku said in jest.
 
Raito tisked his teeth in thought, “That's a good question, what is their purpose, I wonder. It is kind of sad to think that your sort of people have been downgraded to this. If you have a library or something, even an archival place. Do you have something like that?”
 
“I… don't know, I will have to check, but I doubt it exist because there isn't any need,” Ryuuku said, “besides, I don't think any shinigami can read.”
 
“What? Then how can you write the names down of the people you take to add to your own life?”
 
“We just copy the names down, and there is one literate shinigame and that is Shidoh, the shinigami I stole your Death Note from.”
 
“So, that's is his name…” Raito said, fingering the precious sheet of paper in his pocket, “so, do you think we should go to that gathering place for Kira?”
 
“I don't know, Raito, I don't order you around. The only rules are in that book of yours,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“I think I won't go, it might be too suspicious, but if they assign me to go and find out what I can… maybe I can even meet Kurosaki… if he gets the courage to leave the…” Raito said to himself, trailing into his own thoughts.
 
Several minutes later, he looked up and saw the building.
 
“All right, it's time.”
 
Raito entered the hotel building.