Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Flight of the Valkyries ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 11: Flight of the Valkyries
 
 
"We shouldn't be staying here!" Ruki insisted hotly as they turned into the alley. "Once that thing gets through with Beelzebumon, it's coming after us!"
 
"But we can't just leave him here, Ruki!" Juri protested. "He's fighting for us!"
 
"He's fighting to buy us time to get away! Time that we're wasting by NOT getting away!"
 
"But...what if he gets deleted?" Juri whispered in fear, clutching Ruki's arm. "Like...Leomon?"
 
Ruki sighed. "Juri, we can't do anything for him. Renamon isn't here, and you don't even have a..." She trailed off, seeing the hurt look on Juri's face. "There's nothing we can do here. We need to think about what's best for Shuichon and her parents. We owe it to Jenrya to keep his family safe. Now, do you really think we can do that here? Practically in the middle of a fight? With no Digimon of our own?" She pointedly ignored Culumon's indignant squeak.
 
"No," Juri said softly, lowering her head.
 
Ruki was about to speak again when another voice cut her off.
 
"Is there anything I can do to help?"
 
She turned around, surprised to see Lee Janyuu staring down at her with a stern look on his face. "I wish there was. Right now, I think running is our best option. At least until Takato and Alice get back."
 
He nodded. "Then...that thing Beelzebumon is fighting. Is it...like the Reaper?"
 
Ruki shook her head. "Believe it or not, that's just a distraction, although a very dangerous one. The real threat is Akiyama Ryo."
 
Janyuu frowned. "But...I thought he was one of you?"
 
"So did I," Ruki muttered, her voice hollow.
 
Shuichon suddenly squealed in fright and ran away from the alley entrance, burying her face in her father's leg.
 
A few seconds later, the limp body of Impmon crashed to the pavement like a lifeless doll.
 
Juri ran forward and scooped him up, even as an enormous shadow fell over them.
 
Impmon managed to get one beady green eye open. He looked at the shadow for a few seconds, and then his gaze swiveled to Culumon, who was peering worriedly at him from Juri's shoulder. "Do it," he whispered simply.
 
With a fearful nod, Culumon shut his eyes tightly, even as the red triangle on his forehead flared.
 
Impmon sighed, his wounds closing as the power of Culumon washed over him...along with the certainty that it just wouldn't be enough. And still, he pried himself from Juri's desperate grip and walked slowly out of the alley, his body shuddering with every breath.
 
"You can do it, Impmon," Shuichon whispered tearfully. "I believe in you."
 
He paused and lowered his head before glancing back at her. Still, he managed a brave smile before turning the corner and muttering, "Dumb kid. Gonna die on this damn street like all the others."
 
"On that much we agree, then," Ryo chuckled from his seat on Chaos Omegamon's shoulder.
 
Impmon smirked wickedly. "Yeah, but I never said I wouldn't be first. Come and get me, ya overgrown scrap heap!"
 
Ryo smiled. "I know a last request when I hear one. Far be it from me to deny you your dying wish."
 
Even as he spoke, Chaos Omegamon's Grey Sword rose high into the air.
 
Impmon yelled defiantly as power coursed through his veins. He felt his body growing into the shape that had become so familiar. And yet, as he took that first step, he knew something was wrong.
 
All of the great power that he'd gotten so used to throwing around so carelessly was gone. At that moment, he possessed no more attack power than Culumon. At best, he was a walking shield, and not much of one. He'd given all he had in the last battle, and now he was running on empty.
 
"Well," he muttered to himself, "not the first time I been completely outclassed. Never stopped me from crashin' the party before." With that, Beelzebumon: Blast Mode stepped forward to meet his fate, however long it lasted.
 
As that first blow fell, Shuichon's sobs were muffled against her father's shoulder. She looked up at him. "Otousan, can't you bring Lopmon back to help him?"
 
Janyuu closed his eyes and held his daughter close. "I'm so sorry, aijou. I don't know how."
 
She sniffled and pressed her face into his chest. "Please, please come back, Lopmon..."
 
* * * * *
 
"I need you, oniichan. Please come home."
 
There was nothing else in the message, nor did there need to be. For within five minutes of reading it, Jenrya was airborne.
 
He had offered no explanation for why they needed to leave right then, and Terriermon hadn't asked for one. Nor had the Digimon been surprised when Jenrya stated that a plane would be too slow.
 
After the first hour of flying nonstop, though, Rapidmon could no longer contain his curiosity.
 
"It's Shuichon, isn't it, Jen-kun?"
 
From where he clung to the space between Rapidmon's wings, Jenrya didn't answer at first. "You know it is."
 
"She in trouble?"
 
"Probably. All I know is she wants me there with her."
 
"You miss her bad, huh?"
 
Jenrya sighed softly. "With every beat of my heart."
 
And so they flew on, never realizing that their every move was being watched...
 
* * * * *
 
Alice wasn't sure what she'd been expecting when she found Takato. Certainly, she thought he'd win: after all, he'd been doing this longer than she had.
 
The scene before her was not something she'd been prepared for.
 
Black Guilmon was asleep, curled up like a large, reptilian cat. Turuiemon was sitting next to him, looking both bored and anxious. Takato was pacing back and forth behind them, frowning as he checked something on his D-Arc.
 
Majiramon was gone.
 
It took a few moments for that to sink in, along with why Takato was suddenly dressed in a flowing, black coat. Even his ever-present goggles were now black, and he had been wearing neither when the battle began.
 
"Takato?" Alice asked uncertainly.
 
He looked up and smiled. "Hey. I knew you'd do well. And you got yourself a DigiEgg."
 
"I thought you'd come and help me out," Alice muttered.
 
Takato shook his head. "You'd never get stronger if I did, Alice. Pico has to be able to protect you on his own. I have to know you'd be safe if anything ever happened to me."
 
"I agree, though there are better ways to make a point," Renamon said as she walked up. "For now, I think we should try to find a way back to your world."
 
"You say that like you don't know how, exactly," Alice whispered.
 
Renamon sighed. "There is a reason I waited for you to come to me, Alice. Getting here is relatively easy. Leaving is not, in most cases."
 
"Maybe if we could contact Shuichon. She can open portals to the Digital World," Takato said.
 
"A useful ability, but one I doubt she has much control over. Pulling all six of us through might even harm her." Renamon's tail swished in annoyance. "If only my link with Ruki was still functioning at full strength."
 
"You mean she can read your thoughts?" Alice asked in surprise.
 
"Unfortunately, the link is pretty much one-sided right now. I can get brief flashes of what she sees, but that's it."
 
"Well, at least she's doing better than us, right?"
 
The solemn look on Renamon's face did nothing to reassure any of them. "Let's just say it would be in all our best interests to find a portal as soon as possible, Alice. Perhaps if we..." She trailed off suddenly. "Turuiemon?" she asked slowly.
 
The others turned to look as the rabbit warrior took a few slow steps forward, his eyes round and distant. "Shuichon," he whispered softly, his voice haunted. "Shuichon...needs me..." With that, he sprang powerfully into the air, as if the laws of gravity no longer applied to him.
 
"Guilmon, NOW!" Takato shouted. "Turuiemon, catch!"
 
Black Guilmon's head snapped up, his eyes flaring as something round and dark flew from his mouth almost too fast to be seen.
 
Turiemon twisted in the air, easily catching the black orb, just seconds before he vanished into what seemed to be a fading pink star.
 
"What the heck was THAT?" Alice cried.
 
"Shuichon called him home, and we gave him a parting gift," Takato explained. "Black WarGreymon chose Guilmon to carry seven DigiCores. Now, we have six."
 
* * * * *
 
Beelzebumon didn't scream as he slammed into the sidewalk; he didn't have the strength for it. Instead, he closed his eyes and tried to ignore everything around him: Chaos Omegamon's booming footsteps, Ryo's maniacal laughter, and especially the muffled sobs of Juri and Shuichon. Somehow, those bothered him more than anything else. He knew they were afraid that they'd never see him again. And, to a lesser extent, so was he.
 
"Our little game is at an end," Ryo said. "I'm afraid that you lose. But don't worry. I'll see to it that your data is put to very good use..."
 
"Hope you...choke on it," Beelzebumon whispered.
 
A dark look crossed Ryo's face. "Kill him."
 
Chaos Omegamon immediately aimed his Garuru Cannon at the fallen Demon Lord, and the massive weapon let out an ominous hum as it began to charge.
 
Beelzebumon closed his eyes, and then there was a light so bright that he could see it even through his eyelids. This was the end, he knew, and soon there would be a deafening roar as the cannon fired and wiped him out of existence.
 
Instead, there was a sound oddly like "shunk," followed by a strange sputter.
 
Beelzebumon slowly opened his eyes to see a huge, gleaming arrow of gold piercing the cannon all the way through. The cannon itself was smoking, and let out a few sparks before it died.
 
"You are the only one that need concern himself with being killed, fiend!" rang out a furious voice.
 
A winged figure dropped out of the sky, landing gracefully in front of Beelzebumon.
 
Ryo frowned. "And who or what are you?"
 
"You only need know that the arrow is mine," the stranger replied, indicating the quiver of arrows on his right hip. His left hand moved to the sword sheathed on his other hip. "Shall we do battle?"
 
Ryo scowled down at him. "Indeed. Though I must wonder what you think your sword will do against mine."
 
A smile appeared beneath the visored eagle's head helmet the stranger wore. "Absolutely nothing. Your sword is not my concern."
 
"Have it your way," Ryo sneered as the Grey Sword rose and fell towards the stranger.
 
A streaking beam of light struck the giant sword dead center, and the blade snapped in two, either half landing at the stranger's feet.
 
Ryo snarled in fury as a second golden arrow hit the ground a second later, clearly responsible. He searched the sky until his gaze found a second winged figure on top of a nearby skyscraper. At first glance, it was an exact duplicate of the first. "It doesn't matter if you're two or an army! You all die NOW!!!"
 
With blinding speed, the two strangers placed themselves at opposite ends of the street, cutting off both obvious routes of escape. As one, they drew their swords and zoomed through the air, their winged feet propelling them with striking ease.
 
Chaos Omegamon swung at them with both arms, but each easily dodged and went for the finishing blow.
 
Both strangers sped for the knight's waist, their swords shining with ethereal light as they attacked. There was an unearthly shriek, and it was impossible to tell whether it came from the pained knight, the meeting of the two metals, the strangers, or the swords themselves.
 
Chaos Omegamon stumbled forward, his waist encased in a thick ring of ice. He looked down in disbelief as the ice began to crack...and screamed as the cracks ran from the ice to his body. An instant later, his body shattered into billions of dark data bits, among which two shining eggs could be seen.
 
Each stranger zoomed into the cloud and took an egg, but instead of absorbing the data, they began to blow it away with their mighty wings.
 
"Hey, don't waste it!" Beelzebumon snapped weakly, still unable to move.
 
Trading looks of doubt, the strangers directed the data cloud towards the Demon Lord, who grinned as he hungrily absorbed it.
 
"Ahhh, that's the stuff. Come to papa!" Beelzebumon sighed as he finished devouring the data, only to find the two strangers standing over him. "Hey, thanks, whoever you fellas are."
 
"Do not thank us yet, friend," the second stranger said, and with that, he drew an arrow and fired it into the Demon Lord's heart.
 
* * * * *
 
"And you were going to tell us this when, exactly?" Alice asked, glaring at him.
 
Takato shrugged. "When we needed them?"
 
"Takato, that's not the kind of info you keep to yourself! Especially since all of those DigiCores aren't yours, right?"
 
"Well, no," Takato admitted. "At least one of them is for you, but I can't just go handing them out at any time. Guilmon can only cough one up when there's a real need. It's nothing any of us can determine, that's just the way Black WarGreymon wanted it, I guess."
 
"Oh, really? It seemed like Guilmon spat up that last one on command."
 
"I thought Turuiemon would need it, and apparently I was right." Takato shook his head slightly. "Alice, I'm still taking everything in, just like you are. If you think it's weird just watching it, you should try going through it yourself. I can feel this weird power inside of me, almost like a second heartbeat. I feel more alive than I ever have."
 
Alice was about to respond, but something gently bumped her elbow.
 
"Don't be mad at Takato, Alice," Black Guilmon said, sounding much like his old self. "We're not used to the power Black WarGreymon gave us. It makes us different. But we're still the same deep down." He leaned closer to her and whispered loudly, "Takato still loves you very, very much."
 
His face red, Takato glared at his Digimon. "I could've told her that myself, y'know!"
 
Black Guilmon shrugged, scratching at his nose. "Humans never say what you mean. Always avoiding what's right in front of you. Alice was worried, and now she feels better. That's all that matters, isn't it?"
 
"I do feel better," Alice agreed. "So long as what he said is true, Takato."
 
Still blushing, Takato rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, it's true..."
 
Alice stepped forward and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.
 
"Aw, Alice, not in front of the guys!" Takato protested, his cheeks still burning.
 
"I'm going to take that as a compliment," Renamon said firmly, a thin smile on her face. "There is still the matter of finding a portal, though."
 
"Then worry yourselves no further, friends," said a voice behind them. "I happen to know exactly where a portal resides."
 
What seemed to be a child-sized cross between a wizard and a scarecrow walked up to them, a sun-shaped staff on his shoulder.
 
"Who are you?" Alice asked.
 
The wizard removed his tall hat and bowed to her. "I am called Wizarmon, dear lady. Please, allow me to escort you and your party, so that you might leave this world in complete safety."
 
"No offense, but you don't look all that capable of protecting us," Takato said doubtfully. "We've made it this far on our own."
 
Far from being offended, Wizarmon smiled and donned his hat. "I, however, have not. May I present my traveling companion?" With that, he raised his sun staff to the sky, murmuring a few words under his breath. The staff glowed briefly, and almost instantly, a black shape plummeted out of the sky.
 
Takato, Black Guilmon, and Renamon all tensed up as Lady Devimon landed next to Wizarmon. Then, to their complete surprise, she folded her wings around her body and began to shrink in on herself, until she was nothing more than a black cat with mauve gloves and a long tail.
 
"I am Black Tailmon," she purred, eyeing them all curiously. "You seek a portal, yes? We will take you to one."
 
"And you're doing this out of the goodness of your hearts?" Renamon asked slowly, suspiciously.
 
Black Tailmon smirked, her tail lashing behind her. "We were told that you had the power to save two worlds. Neither of us has anything against dying, but we do have some appointments we'd like to keep, so there it is."
 
"Do you think we can trust them?" Takato whispered to Renamon.
 
At that moment, Black Tailmon ventured closer, her eyes apparently on Alice. "How about it, little brother? You want to get to the human world, do you not?"
 
Alice looked around in confusion before realizing that she was addressing Pico.
 
"We will go with you, sibling," Pico said after a moment.
 
"Good," Black Tailmon replied with a grin. "Sagemon will be most pleased."
 
* * * * *
 
"NOOOOO!!!" Shuichon wailed as she pulled free from Juri's grip and raced into the street. "LEAVE IMPMON ALONE!!!"
 
In all fairness, neither of the winged strangers had continued their attack after firing the arrow into Beelzebumon's heart. However, they made no move to remove the arrow or leave the Demon Lord's body, which was still writhing pitifully in pain as he suffered.
 
Juri had dared to hope that the strangers had come to protect them. They looked somewhat like angels, or humanoid eagles, and she'd assumed they were good guys after they destroyed Chaos Omegamon. But then they had turned on Beelzebumon, and now her only concern was keeping Shuichon away from them.
 
She ran after the little girl, and was thankful for her longer legs, as she caught up in no time. However, dragging Shuichon away proved to be much more difficult, as she was putting up quite a fight to be let go.
 
The first stranger, the one wearing something of a sky blue kilt around his waist (as well as the one who hadn't shot Beelzebumon) turned to face them. "Calm yourself, Shuichon. He will be fine."
 
Shuichon stopped struggling. "How do you know my name?"
 
"And why shouldn't I?" he asked softly, a smile on his lips.
 
She continued to stare up at him, unable to deny the odd feeling that she knew him.
 
"So you're saying we shouldn't be concerned that you shot him?" Juri asked skeptically.
 
"You misunderstand our intentions, Juri," he replied, startling her. "But all will be revealed soon. For now, just know that we are here to right a wrong." He turned back to his companion. "How goes the data extraction?"
 
"It is done," the second stranger, wearing a black kilt, said. He reached down and yanked out the arrow, which was now a sparkling silver instead of gold. "Shall I proceed?"
 
At the first's nod, the second stranger drew back his arm and hurled the silver arrow straight at Juri.
 
Even before it reached her, Juri suspected that the arrow wouldn't hurt her. Sure enough, it exploded inches from her face, covering her in what seemed to be silver dust. The dust began to swirl around her, trapping her in its midst.
 
"Something is wrong," she heard the first say. "Was the extraction not complete?"
 
"The problem lies within," said the other. "Perhaps we should risk a rewrite?"
 
"I agree. He must be whole." He drew his sword and stepped forward. "I am sorry about your loss, friend. But this will make you whole. Stronger. Better."
 
An unearthly roar echoed in Juri's ears, and the next thing she knew, something like a ghostly white wolf's head flew from the sword and plunged into the dust storm, where it seemed to vanish.
 
For one reason that she could explain, Juri began to feel very cold. When the dust storm finally began to die down, she became aware of something crouching in front of her. Although it took her a moment to realize it was kneeling, considering how big it was.
 
The lion man raised his head, blinking slowly in the sunlight. His fur was an odd, silvery color, and faint trails of icy vapor drifted from his thick mane. His eyes were completely white and without pupils.
 
And yet, despite all the changes, still Juri knew him.
 
"...Leomon?" she whispered in a tiny voice, her eyes brimming with tears.
 
"I know you," he said, tilting his head slightly. "But that is no longer my name. I am Panjamon. You are my Tamer. Again."
 
Juri stared at him a moment longer. Then, her eyes rolled up into her head, and she fainted.
 
Fortunately, Panjamon caught her before she could hit the ground. It was then that he noticed the silver D-Arc that suddenly formed in her hand. With an overwhelming sense of right swelling inside him, Panjamon gathered up his Tamer in one thickly muscled arm and turned his attention to the small group of humans staring at him in shock.
 
"You...you're Juri's Leomon?" the one he remembered as Ruki asked after a long moment of silence.
 
"I was, once," he answered. "But no more. I have been reborn, it would seem."
 
"Oh. Well, that's good. We could use the help."
 
Panjamon glanced down at his Tamer, frowning thoughtfully. "I can't remember...does she do this often?"
 
Ruki smiled faintly. "Not often, no. But it's good you're fast enough to catch her, anyway."
 
"But what about Impmon?" Shuichon asked, looking worried.
 
Ruki glanced over and found that he actually WAS Impmon, now. "Well, I think he'll be fine. Looks like they just removed Leomon's data from him so they could form Panjamon. Which means these two guys are with us, I guess." She started to say something else, but then she noticed something odd about the first stranger.
 
On the buckle of his belt, there was something that looked exactly like a pink star. And the more Ruki stared at it, the more she thought it looked familiar.
 
As if sensing her gaze, he turned, caught her eye, and raised a finger to his lips, shaking his head slightly.
 
Without knowing why, Ruki nodded and looked away, happening to look at Shuichon, who was, as usual, wearing pink. And she began to wonder.
 
* * * * *
 
“I have to say, those friends of mine are starting to become just the tiniest bit annoying.”
 
As this was not a command of any sort, Monodramon did nothing more than raise his head. It did not matter whether he considered the topic important or not; it was Ryo's voice, and so he listened.
 
“They shouldn't be, though,” Ryo murmured. “I was expecting them to resist. Planned for it, of course. But I guess, fighting alongside them all this time, I never realized how very damn resourceful they are. Their power, it comes from and adapts to their needs. Mine come from darkness. But now, Monodramon, it's time my power responded to my needs. Even if I'm no longer with the underdogs. It's time something actually went according to plan.”
 
He blinked one, twice, three times, and then looked to the left.
 
Three Cyberdramon stood silently in the shadows, awaiting their orders.
 
Ryo smiled faintly. “My friends. Thank you for coming. You realize, though, that I'll need to end you all? I don't want to, it's just that I need your data, cores, and nothing else. You understand.”
 
They did. As one, each plunged his claws deep into his chest and yanked out his DigiCore.
 
Ryo moved forward at once, thrusting each Cyberdramon's remains into a tall, glass cylinder. “Thank you, my friends. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.”
 
Monodramon stood up, sensing he was needed.
 
Ryo turned to his Digimon. “Guard them with your life. I doubt anyone will come here, but be wary all the same.” He stretched out his hand, revealing some glittering black bits. “There's what I saved of Chaos Omegamon's data in it for you, if you do a good job.” He let a few fragments slip through his hand, smiling as Monodramon snapped them up. “That's the spirit. I shouldn't be too long. Just need to collect some samples…”
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Healthy & Wise
Jenrya and Rapidmon are ambushed by unexpected foes. Takato and Co. meet the mysterious Sagemon. The true identity of Valkyrimon is revealed.
 
 
Digidex
Wizarmon/Wizardmon: Another of Myotismon's troops, got his claim to fame when he sacrificed himself for Kari & Gatomon in 01 (not that he stayed dead, mind you).
Black Tailmon: Gatomon's evil twin, but stronger. Technically, she and Pico are related: they're both members of the Devimon line. Maybe "cousin" would've been more fitting, though.
Sagemon: Does not exist. Mwa ha ha ha...
Valkyrimon: Ultimate/Mega level, looks a lot like a humanoid eagle warrior. Attacks are Fenrir Sword & Aurvandil's Arrow. Look up some Norse mythology to learn their importance (or lack thereof in Aurvandil's case). He also has the power to resurrect fallen warriors (not necessarily the way I described it, though). If you forgot, Beelzebumon did absorb Leomon's data back in 03.
Panjamon/Panjyamon: An icy Leomon, but Perfect/Ultimate level. Takuya (eventually) beat him in 04.
 
Aijou - beloved child
 
I wanna point out something. Ultimate, or the US Mega, is a VERY big level. It's like friggin' Super Saiya-jin for Digimon. And like that power class, it should be split. Why? Well, obviously, Omegamon is stronger than WarGreymon or Metal Garurumon, and yet they're all still the same level on paper, which is pretty silly. Why someone just didn't create a Final (because some things just shouldn't GET any stronger) or Fusion level (ever notice how many fusions there are in that level?) is beyond me. Which is why I used TWO Megas to beat a Fusion/Final.
And Hybrid doesn't count since it tosses the whole system to heck, anyway. Or does it?
 
(since Takuya & Kouji have "established" Rookie forms, I'll skip that level and ASSUME that their weakest Spirit is Adult/Champion). Assume that Beast is stronger than Human, since there was so much trouble controlling them at first.
 
Champ (Human) Agunimon & Lobomon
(Slide Evolution is just sliding to/from Human/Beast)
Ultimate (Beast) Burning Greymon & Kendo Garurumon
Mega (Double) Aldamon & Beowulfmon
??? - Unified Spirit - Emperor Greymon & Magna Garurumon
??? - Susanomon (hate that name)
 
About the only way this system could work is if Human and Beast spirits shared the Champ level.
 
Champ1 (Human) Agunimon & Lobomon
Champ2 (Beast) Burning Greymon & Kendo Garurumon
Ultimate (Double) Aldamon & Beowulfmon
Mega - Unified Spirit - Emperor Greymon & Magna Garurumon
Fusion/Final - Susanomon (really hate that name)
 
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because Beast Spirits are clearly stronger, so you run into the same problem as with Megas: two power classes sharing the same level.
I never liked the idea of only being able to reach Mega by taking everyone else's Spirits. For one thing, you only ever have two Megas to fight with, making all the other Chosen sitting ducks. For another, as often as Spirits got snatched away from them, just missing one means they only have one Mega to fight with. And if two of the wrong ones got taken, they'd have no Megas at all. Aside from that, that means you've got Chosen running around that never even reached Ultimate. (Remember how bad WarGreymon did against Piedmon? Imagine if he'd been Metal Greymon instead…) How they ever beat Lucemon in any form is beyond me…