Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Let Sleeping Dragons Lie ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Let Sleeping Dragons Lie
 
 
 
Majiramon did not look forward to the battle for several reasons: a) he had no desire to fight a fellow Deva, b) they were supposedly on the same side, and c) there were more important things to worry about.
 
But then, he also had good reasons to fight: a) Qinglongmon had ordered that no one should pass; b) Lopmon had been missing for some time, and if current reports were true, his allegiance was in question,; c) the female human dressed in black seemed to radiate a kind of darkness that made him nervous; and d) the small, red reptile was definitely itching for a fight.
 
Truth be told, this Majiramon was in no way related to the first, save that he was the next Dragon Deva. Therefore, he had no idea that Turuiemon was a new evolution for Lopmon, and likewise had no idea what to expect. What he did know for certain was that this evolution was no Antiramon, and that Lopmon was fooling himself if he thought he was going to win this fight.
 
“You will regret challenging me!” Majiramon roared as he lifted his large head to the sky. “Treasure Arrow!”
 
Numerous beams of light pierced through the clouds and struck the ground around Turuiemon, coating the area in huge explosions.
 
Takato couldn't help being worried. He knew nothing about Turuiemon, but he doubted the rabbit could go up against a Deva in his current form. But his worry found a new target as Guilmon suddenly darted forward, growling louder than ever. Takato just barely managed to snag his tail before Guilmon could leap into the thick of the battle. “No, boy! Stay here!” For all the good it did, he dug his heels into the dirt.
 
Guilmon was clearly not listening. He continued to growl and snarl as he slowly advanced toward the fight.
 
Alice frowned. “Pico, can't you do something to calm him down?”
 
Without a word, Pico fluttered into the air. Alice's D-Arc began to warble as a black hole opened up over Guilmon's head. Pico dove into it from above. An instant later, the full weight of Death Meramon's fist came crashing down directly onto Guilmon's head. The red reptile slammed into the ground and was, admittedly, very calm after that.
 
“Thanks…I think,” Takato said slowly as Pico reemerged from the portal and settled on Alice's shoulder.
 
By then, the smoke from the explosions had cleared away, revealing scorched ground…and nothing else.
 
“Even he should not have been so easily defeated. I expected more,” Majiramon muttered.
 
“I'd hate to disappoint you, old friend! Swift Secret Punch!”
 
Majiramon's head rocked sharply to one side as what seemed to be a gust of wind hit him. “You still live?!”
 
“I do,” Turuiemon's voice replied, but he was nowhere in sight. “Giving me cover is the last thing you should've done!”
 
Majiramon growled in annoyance as his eyes scanned the area. “You cannot hide from me!”
 
“Too late; I already am. You will bear witness to the power of a Digimon who can harness the strength of nature itself!”
 
“FOOL!” the Holy Dragon roared. “I am of the Wind Guardians! Nature is mind to command!”
 
“Then why do they winds themselves assault you and add strength to my blows?” the wily rabbit asked, a hint of laughter in his tone.
 
Another three hits by an unseen force connected with Majiramon's jaw, sending the dragon back a few feet.
 
“I will not be insulted by an upstart! Treasure Arrow!” Majiramon shouted, summoning his power again. A larger volley of arrows rained down, covering the entire area in which the Deva stood.
 
“You're so predictable,” Turuiemon's voice chided when the dust cleared. “If you do not focus, how can you expect to hit a foe you can't sense?”
 
“I don't need to focus to destroy the likes of you!” Majiramon opened his mouth wide. “VEDAKA!!!” A river of lava erupted from his mouth, and he turned his head to each side, still seeking to flush Turuiemon out.
 
“This game ends now! Aid me, winds! Violent Rock Rabbit!” Turuiemon suddenly became visible as his quick feet carried him up Majiramon's serpentine chest. He leaped and delivered a huge uppercut to the dragon's jaw.
 
Majiramon's eyes rolled up into his head, and he collapsed heavily to the ground.
 
Turuiemon turned back to the cliff on which his companions waited. “We'd better move fast. He won't be out for long.”
 
* * * * *
 
Ruki had never realized that a doorbell could sound so suspicious when you were paranoid. Juri had jumped right up to answer it, but Ruki had put a stop to that. The last thing they needed was some wild Digimon barging in on them. The mere fact that it could use doorbells proved it had some intelligence, and that made it more dangerous.
 
She wouldn't have debated the matter if she'd realized that she didn't have a choice. But, thinking rationally, she decided to check the peephole at the very least.
 
It was Ryo…but then, it wasn't. Ruki knew that at a glance. Ryo's eyeballs normally weren't smoky black.
 
“I know you're there, Ruki-chan,” he said in a singsong voice as she drew back. “And you will open the door.”
 
“…Ruki, open the door,” Juri whispered.
 
Ruki was about to slap some sense into her when she finally spotted the Gabumon crouched in the corner. The Digimon glared at her with red eyes and lifted its claws, revealing a frightened, whimpering Culumon beneath them. Cursing softly, Ruki opened the door.
 
Ryo smiled at her. “Ruki-chan, it's so very good to see you again. I trust you remember Monodramon?”
 
Ruki glanced down, where she found the small dragon's empty gaze. “I doubt he remembers me.”
 
“He knows what he needs to,” Ryo answered confidently. “Aren't you going to invite us in?”
 
Before she could answer, the Gabumon growled threateningly. “…of course,” Ruki muttered angrily. “Come in.”
 
Ryo plastered a look of fake surprise on his face as he entered, Monodramon right behind him. “Oh! You're here, too, Juri-chan?”
 
“What do you want?” Juri asked bluntly.
 
“Since you asked, I'd like very much to see Shuichon. Where is she?”
 
“Sleeping,” Ruki said at once, which was true. “You can't wake her.”
 
“I had no intention of doing so. Where is her room?”
 
“Why?” Juri demanded.
 
“It'll be hard to see her without knowing that,” Ryo explained patiently.
 
“That's the idea,” Juri snapped.
 
Ryo stopped smiling. “Find the child,” he said impassively.
 
Instantly, Monodramon sniffed the air a few times, and then headed straight for the little girl's room.
 
“Amazing how most children smell like sugar, isn't it?” Ryo asked with a grin. “Be back in a jiffy!”
 
* * * * *
 
The entire cave seemed to be filled with a faint, white glow. Every few seconds, the walls would flicker, and the glow seemed to dim a little more as they ventured on.
 
“Where do you think that weird light is coming from?” Alice whispered to Takato.
 
“I don't know, but it seems really familiar, for some reason,” he answered.
 
“It should,” Renamon said softly, but she would say nothing else.
 
The path finally opened up into a chamber with a huge pit in the ground. The pit itself was lined with more of the flickering light, though it seemed to be stronger there.
 
“I bet this is where Qinglongmon lives,” Takato murmured, running his hand along the wall. He was more than a little surprised when his fingers came away white. “What the…?”
 
“It is his essence,” Renamon explained, gently grasping Takato's wrist. “Don't disturb it.”
 
Alice frowned. “I don't understand. What do you mean, his essence?”
 
“She means lifeblood, child,” said a weak voice that seemed to come from all around them.
 
“Qinglongmon?!” Takato cried. “Where are you?! Are you okay?!”
 
“I suppose that is a matter of opinion, my young friend.” There was a bright flash, and when the Tamers and Digimon could see again, the long, serpentine body of Qinglongmon had filled the pit to overflowing. “It is good to see you again, though I wish it was not under these circumstances.”
 
Takato stared in horror at the deep gashes that covered nearly every inch of the Holy Dragon's body. “Who did this to you?”
 
“That is unimportant right now. I assume you know about the dragons roaming the land?”
 
“That is why we came,” Renamon admitted, “but you don't seem to be in any shape to help us, with all due respect.”
 
“In truth, I cannot help you with that,” Qinglongmon sighed. “It is a necessary thing in the Digital World, I'm afraid. You see, I am no longer the Guardian of the East. I do not have the power you require to aid you.”
 
“How can that be?” Turuiemon asked in shock. “You are one of the four DigiGods!”
 
“I was,” the Holy Dragon corrected patiently. “But I lost my title in battle, Turuiemon. There is much I need to tell you.”
 
“And very little time to tell it,” rumbled a voice above him. “This is the time for action, not speeches.”
 
Guilmon suddenly broke away from Takato, his constant growling rising to a primal roar as he leaped at the air above Qinglongmon. He seemed to collide with something in mid-air, and struggled uselessly as he remained trapped in the same spot.
 
“Children, meet my successor,” Qinglongmon said. He turned to look in Guilmon's direction. “Come, stop hiding. They know you're there now.”
 
The air shimmered, and in a burst of smoke, the new DigiGod appeared.
 
“I don't believe it,” Takato whispered, shaking his head. “I thought you were just a legend!”
 
“True legends never die,” Black WarGreymon stated. He held up his left Dramon Killer and watched Guilmon struggle between its claws with great interest. “This little one intrigues me. He smells very much like my own offspring.”
 
“You mean…you're a father?” Alice asked in disbelief.
 
He turned his fearsome head in her direction. “You sound surprised, human. How did you think Digimon reproduced themselves?”
 
“I never really thought about it,” she admitted, turning bright red.
 
Renamon cleared her throat. “If you are the new DigiGod, isn't it your job to stop the dragon uprising?”
 
“STOP it?” Black WarGreymon chuckled. “Why would I do that? I STARTED it.”
 
“He means,” Qinglongmon added quickly, “that the dragons are rioting in response to the shift in power. They are…celebrating their new leader.”
 
“Then you sent all those dragons to the human world?!” Turuiemon shouted angrily.
 
“Of course not. What would I have to gain from that?” Black WarGreymon asked irritably. “That is the work of an accursed entity. He is the Grand Defiler.”
 
“He calls himself Millenniumon,” Qinglongmon said. “Unlike most Digimon, he has the ability to move freely between the Digital World and yours.”
 
“Such a thing is child's play for the Grand Defiler,” Black WarGreymon grunted. “He can even enter the time stream itself.”
 
“Then he's controlling the dragons that attacked us?” Takato guessed.
 
Qinglongmon nodded. “It would seem so. Normally, I would say he just wanted to cause mass destruction. But if he is only attacking Tamers, I fear he has a greater, darker purpose in mind. Just as Black WarGreymon can command the dragons in the Digital World because he reigns here, so can Millenniumon exert control in the human world. His power is immense, and there are no others to oppose him there. That is why you Tamers must go home and face him.”
 
“How strong is he?” Alice asked. “I mean…could one of you defeat him?”
 
“Even if we couldn't, I do not believe he would risk attempting to build a power base here. The advantage would be ours, as we could summon any number of dragons to our side to aid us in the battle. In your world, all dragons are under his command. The only way to stop the attacks is to thwart Millenniumon, either by destroying him, or imprisoning him.”
 
“Well, he's no Reaper, right?” Takato chuckled nervously.
 
“In his own way, he is even more dangerous,” Qinglongmon murmured gravely. “Powerful as it was, even the Reaper was limited in comparison to Millenniumon. You cannot possibly grasp how far his evil has reached, children. His resources are nearly infinite, and if you are not careful, the very Digimon you have come to trust could be turned against you.”
 
“No need to frighten them so,” Black WarGreymon scolded. “That much, at least, I can do something to prevent. But only for this one.” His gaze turned back to Guilmon, who was all but frothing at the mouth to get at him. “He smells of potential…and power. He will make an excellent emissary.”
 
“Do you really think Millenniumon is going to want to talk to us?” Alice asked doubtfully.
 
“You misunderstand my intent, human. This one will bear my mark in battle. Let all who witness his wrath know that he is but a precursor to the true power I hold.”
 
“I don't think he likes that idea,” Takato murmured as Guilmon continued to snap at the dark DigiGod.
 
Black WarGreymon grunted defiantly. “And what is that to me? If he wishes to survive the coming war, he will do what allows him to unleash his maximum potential. The Grand Defiler will strike to destroy in every clash. If you are not prepared to do the same, then you will die.”
 
“He has a point,” Renamon reluctantly agreed. “I've never seen this Millenniumon, but he sounds like a very nasty character. The battle against Kerpymon may have been the easiest thing we've ever done in comparison. I don't think the DigiGods would be so concerned if this weren't an all-important matter.”
 
“But `bearing your mark' won't hurt Guilmon, will it?” Takato asked.
 
Black WarGreymon didn't seem at all concerned. “Hardly. It should increase his power tenfold, assuming he can handle it.”
 
“Then you plan to give him the DigiCores?” Qinglongmon asked warily. “Is that a wise thing, so soon after you received them yourself?”
 
“Until my reign is established firmly enough for me to leave the Digital World, this is the only way these children can hope to survive without either of us going with them.”
 
“This is sounding less and less possible for us to do,” Takato muttered.
 
“You will not be alone in your quest, children,” Qinglongmon added. “I think you will find that evil this great comes with many opponents.”
 
* * * * *
 
“Knock knock!” Ryo whispered as he eased open Shuichon's bedroom door. He had only taken two steps into the room when something slammed into his chest with great force, knocking him back out into the hallway and leaving him firmly embedded in the wall.
 
“You should always knock before entering a lady's room, Ryo. It's only polite.”
 
Ryo grunted and shook his head as Monodramon growled menacingly at his feet. “Well, my old friend. I have to say you're a bit early. I wasn't expecting you so soon.”
 
“That was the idea. But I wonder, were you expecting me to bring my friends?”
 
A scowl formed on Ryo's face as Wormmon crawled into the hall, followed by a bouncy V-Mon.
 
“You want some more of my V-Headbutt, chump?” V-Mon asked, punching the air.
 
“I've had more than enough, thanks,” Ryo muttered dryly as he pried himself from the wall. “So, tell me. Are you going to hide there in the dark, or are you going to face me, man-to-man?”
 
The other boy stepped out of the darkness of Shuichon's room, effectively blocking the doorway. “You mean man-to-`mon, don't you? The Ryo I know didn't look or sound like you do, Millenniumon.”
 
“So you do recognize me,” Ryo laughed. “But even that won't save you, Digimon Kaiser.”
 
“My name is Ken,” the boy snapped, “and I'm going to make you remember it. Wormmon! V-Mon! Take this outside!”
 
The two Digimon charged at Ryo and Monodramon, tackling them completely through the wall and to the street below.
 
Ken started to follow, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. “Hold it, you! Who are you, where did you come from, and where's Shuichon?!”
 
“A friend, the past, and in her room,” Ken replied before leaping through the hole as well.
 
Ruki stared after him for a long moment until she felt a tug on her jeans. Looking down, she found Shuichon and Pepper staring up at her.
 
“Are we still playing Hide and Seek with the nice boy and his bug, Ruki-san?”
 
“Um…sure, why not?” Ruki answered after a few seconds. “I think you win.”
 
“Yay!” Shuichon cheered, giving Pepper a big hug. “We won, we won!”
 
Ruki was so relieved that the girl was safe that she almost didn't notice the Gabumon creeping along the wall as it slunk after Ryo. She did, however, know that Culumon was safe, especially when he tried to hide up her shirt again.
 
* * * * *
 
Guilmon's body dropped heavily to the ground, weakened but radiating power at the same time.
 
“It is done,” Black WarGreymon announced, turning his gaze on Takato. “You now battle under my banner, human. Ended is your time of innocence. Gone is your fear of limitations. You are now a warrior of the darkness. The only thing capable of stopping you now is your own doubt, and that will fade quickly.”
 
“What did you do to him?” Alice whispered fearfully. She took a step forward.
 
“Alice must not approach,” Pico said at once.
 
“But he needs-!”
 
“Alice must not approach,” Pico repeated firmly.
 
“Takato,” Renamon said softly. “See if you can wake Guilmon.”
 
The Tamer looked at her somewhat suspiciously, but it faded quickly. After all, Guilmon was his Digimon. It wasn't as if he should fear being attacked. He walked over and knelt at Guilmon's side, reaching out to touch his partner's head.
 
At that moment, Guilmon had been lying there, looking as if he were inches from death. In the next, he was a blurred whirlwind of teeth and claws.
 
Takato screamed as sharp lances of pain flashed across his senses and fell to the ground, backpedaling desperately to get away from what he'd once considered his best friend. “Guilmon?” he whispered, his eyes filling with hurt tears. “Boy?”
 
The dark figure's shadow fell over the Tamer, and in that moment, it was impossible to distinguish shadow from creature. Both seemed to growl as one as they grew taller and more menacing.
 
Alice looked on in horrified fascination. When she finally thought about moving, though, Renamon's paw came down on her shoulder, holding her in place.
 
The Digimon that had once been Guilmon towered over Takato, growling softly as it inspected the fallen Tamer with its eyes and nose. Its gaze moved to the arm it had first marked, and with a rising shriek of certainty, it closed in, sharp teeth flashing.
 
“No, Guilmon!” Takato cried, trying to shield his face with his injured arm. “Don't, PLEASE!!!” He waited for the paralyzing pain, hoping that the Digimon would bite into something vital right away, so that it didn't hurt for too long.
 
The only pain that followed, however, was slight and surprisingly not life-threatening.
 
Takato slowly opened his eyes upon feeling something warm and wet on his arm. He raised his head carefully, only to find the dark Digimon licking the wide, bleeding wound on his arm, almost tenderly. “Guilmon?” he whispered uncertainly.
 
The now black-skinned Reptile Digimon raised his head, finding the Tamer's eyes with his own. “Sorry, Takatomon.” He licked the boy's arm again, and then pressed his snout against Takato's neck, nuzzling him gently. “You snuck up on me.”
 
Takato's shoulders sagged with relief as he hugged his partner, but his eyes strayed back to his damp arm, which had already stopped bleeding. However, the wound remained. It was a sign that this was not the same Guilmon he had created, and somehow, he knew it was a mark he would wear the rest of his life.
 
“Go now,” Black WarGreymon said. “There is much that needs to be done, and it cannot be done in this world.”
 
“What about Qinglongmon?” Turuiemon asked at once.
 
“Concern yourselves no further with my fate, children,” the Holy Dragon sighed, sounding very tired. “Return to your home and defeat Millenniumon. The fate of two worlds depends, once again, on your success.”
 
“A battle awaits,” Pico agreed.
 
Something disturbingly like a smirk appeared on Black WarGreymon's face. “Indeed.” He gestured, and instantly, the Tamers and Tamed Digimon found themselves outside of the cave again.
 
“He couldn't open a portal for us?” Alice asked.
 
Renamon's body tensed up. “I do not think that was his intent, Alice.”
 
“The battle waits no longer,” Pico said sagely, even as the ground began to tremble under their feet.
 
“You mean…Millenniumon is here?” Takato asked.
 
“Hardly, human!” Majiramon snarled as he burst from the ground. “But still cause for concern, in your case! You will pay for defying the will of the Holy Dragon!”
 
“Turuiemon and I can take him, Takato,” Black Guilmon growled confidently.
 
“Then I guess that leaves her for you and I, Pico,” Renamon added, looking up.
 
“For who?” Alice followed Renamon's gaze, her eyes widening as something huge and pink emerged from the clouds. “Oh. Oh, no…”
 
“NO ONE defies the Holy Dragons!” Holy Dramon screeched. “DIE!!!”
 
“When we get out of this,” Alice said slowly, raising Pico to her face, “remind me to teach you to be a lot more specific!!!”
 
* * * * *
 
Ken tried to ignore his feelings as he stared down the boy that had once been his closest friend. But the entity that stood before him was no more Ryo than the Digimon Kaiser had been the true Ken Ichijouji. It seemed he had been fighting people who were really his friends nearly all his life, and Ken tried to convince himself that this was no different.
 
"So, Ken," Ryo said softly. "What now?"
 
Ken glanced around the empty street and nodded to himself. "Now, I stop you. I don't know exactly what you're up to, but it can't be good. It never is."
 
"How did you manage to traverse the time stream, I wonder?" Ryo murmured. "Not that it matters. You won't be here for very long."
 
Ken smirked. "On that much we agree, then. I plan to make quick work of you." He raised his voice. "Wormmon! V-mon! Super Jogress Evolve!"
 
"This should be amusing," Ryo chuckled, watching as the two Digimon joined to become one huge, hulking engine of destruction. The blue, black-armored dragon snorted menacingly as it glared down at him.
 
"This ends now, Millenniumon," Ken stated. "Even you, in this form, can't stand up to the might of Imperial Dramon."
 
"Fortunately, I have no need to," Ryo replied smugly. "It would seem that you've overlooked one very important fact, Ken."
 
"Oh? And what's that?"
 
Ryo's eyes flashed. "I control the dragons in this world. ALL of them." He glared at Imperial Dramon. "I could have him turn on you, but that doesn't suit my purposes. I might need you as a host one day, after all. Instead, I think I'll just send you back where you came from. V-mon, come to me! I command you to obey!"
 
Ken shook his head with a grin...but it quickly faded as Imperial Dramon groaned and slumped heavily to the ground. An instant later, Wormmon was curled into a tight little ball, and V-mon was stumbling forward drunkenly, as if he couldn't help following Ryo's order. "V-mon!" Ken shrieked. "What are you doing?! Think of Daisuke!"
 
V-mon stopped for a second, but then continued forward, kneeling at Ryo's side.
 
"Remembering his partner won't help," Ryo said. "Daisuke is his friend, but I am his master now. Nothing else matters except my orders. And now, I think I'll show you how it's supposed to be done. V-mon! Gabumon! Super Jogress Evolve!"
 
Ken gasped as a Gabumon seemed to drop out of the sky. Faster than he could blink, Gabumon and V-mon seemed to collide in a tornado of black energy. The tornado grew quickly, until it was taller than the Lee family's apartment building. Then it vanished, revealing the horror it had given birth to.
 
"No," Ken whispered, stepping back. "It can't be!"
 
Ryo laughed maniacally. "Oh, but it is, Ken! Say hello...and goodbye...to Chaos Omegamon!"
 
Ken could only look on, paralyzed with fear, as the Dark Knight Digimon lifted its smoky black Garuru Cannon and begin to draw in the energy needed to fire. By the time his mind recognized that the giant gun was pointed at him, it was far too late...
 
* * * * *
 
Impmon was not surprised to find that his original Tamers were Tamers no more. They had kept their promise not to fight...until they'd gotten older, and had apparently forgotten ever making any promise of the sort. Though he didn't have all the details, as best as he could figure out, the D-Arc had ended up being thrown against a wall during a fight.
 
Again, this did not surprise Impmon in the least. Although, deep down, it did disappoint him, just a bit. With a deep sigh, he rose from his perch on the rooftop and turned around, just in time to see a large explosion rock a building that looked disturbingly like the same one Shuichon lived in.
 
Anger rising in his heart, Impmon leaped off the roof, but it was Beelzebumon who took to the air, vengeance on his mind.
 
* * * * *
 
Alice was starting to feel very much like a burden, though that was not quite her fault. Renamon had explained to her (five times, even) that Holy Digimon were drawn to Evil Digimon, generally so they could destroy them.
 
This probably explained why Holy Dramon hadn't given Pico enough time to evolve before vomiting up a stream of white fire that seemed to be following them everywhere they ran. In the end, if it hadn't been for Kyuubimon's quick footwork, Alice wasn't sure what she would've done. But the fact remained that Kyuubimon couldn't fight while she was carrying them everywhere, and the white fire wouldn't stop following them until they did something about it.
 
Unfortunately, Takato already had his hands full. The new and improved Black Growmon had so far proven to be an effective but dirty fighter. Of course, since their lives were on the line, Alice wasn't opposed to cheating. She thought Majiramon might have a different opinion, since his long body was starting to look like a scratching post. Turuiemon was hardly any better, using the wind to stay hidden and land swift blows when the Deva was distracted.
 
On the plus side, Alice had noticed that Holy Dramon had to focus to keep the white fire on their tail (tails in Kyuubimon's case), so she couldn't do anything else at the same time. That gave her an idea, although it would mean moving away from Takato. She whispered her plan to Kyuubimon, who quickly agreed.
 
Alice gritted her teeth as Kyuubimon gradually began to run in a wide circle. It wasn't a foolproof plan, but it was a spur of the moment one. She reached into the small pack around her waist and pulled out the card she needed. She had never really done this before, but it was time to find out if she was a real Tamer.
 
"Fly high, Pico!" Alice ordered, and the Pico Devimon took to the air at once. She raised her black D-Arc and slashed the card along the edge. "Multiform!"
 
Pico's body shimmered briefly, and suddenly became six Pico Devimon, each one quickly separating from the others.
 
Predictably, Holy Dramon stopped momentarily while she tried to decide which one to attack.
 
Hoping that Pico had collected enough data, Alice called, "Pico, digivolve! Something strong!" At once, her D-Arc began to warble insistently, and six black portals opened up in the sky, with each Pico ducking into one.
 
Confused but annoyed, Holy Dramon began bathing the portals in white fire one by one. She'd only gotten to the second when all the portals but one vanished, and a head of golden blonde hair began to rise out of it.
 
Alice checked her D-Arc and grinned. "Vamdemon! Wait to go, Pico!"
 
Holy Dramon shrieked in outrage and dove down, tearing through her own Holy Flame as she attempted a massive headbutt.
 
The Undead Digimon moved to sidestep, but as he did so, his body shuddered and glitched briefly, the delay just long enough to keep him in the dragon's path. His eyes widened in surprise as Holy Dramon plowed into him.
 
"Pico!" Alice cried, tightening her grip on Kyuubimon's fur. "What's wrong?! Why can't you move?!"
 
Vamdemon grunted with effort, bracing Holy Dramon's now open mouth with his hands and feet. "Alice! Too much...data!"
 
"What? I don't understand!" Alice looked down at her D-Arc, frowning as she read the flashing error message on the screen. "Warning: Data Overload. Discard Excess Data? [Y/N]"
 
"He must have collected too much data for this current form, Alice," Kyuubimon said. "He needs you to release the overflow!"
 
Alice selected Y on the menu, but then another window came up. "Save Excess Data to New Directory? [Y/N]" Without thinking, Alice selected Y again, figuring she could sort things out after Pico was out of danger. She jumped when her D-Arc began to whine, the screen going white.
 
Vamdemon suddenly threw back his head and roared in pain. His throat seemed to convulse, and then it became obvious that something was actually traveling up his throat.
 
"Oh no!" Alice wailed. "I made Pico sick! I'm a terrible Tamer!"
 
"I don't think so," Kyuubimon said calmly. "Watch."
 
Something long and bright blue erupted from Vamdemon's mouth, flowing lazily through the air. It quickly changed direction and headed straight for Alice.
 
"Don't be alarmed," Kyuubimon murmured. "It's a data stream. It won't harm you. It's just going where it needs to go."
 
Sure enough, the data stream landed in Alice's arms, where it began to pile up and pulse in a vaguely spherical shape. When the stream finally ended, Alice found herself holding a white egg, with red slashes on the surface, like bloody claw marks.
 
"Is it hurt?" Alice whispered, recognizing that the egg was very much alive.
 
Kyuubimon flew lower to the ground. "I doubt it. At any rate, your Vamdemon seems to be doing much better. But I think I'd better put you down so I can help him."
 
Vamdemon had freed himself from Holy Dramon's jaws, but had so far only managed glancing blows as the pink dragon circled him.
 
Alice climbed off of Kyuubimon's back, carefully shifting the egg to one arm while she searched her deck for another card to help Vamdemon. After several seconds, she found one.
 
"Okay, let's try this one! Card Slash! Death Meramon's Binding Heat Chain!"
 
A long, metal chain coursing with blue fire erupted from Vamdemon's hand, and with a feral grin, he threw the chain around Holy Dramon's neck, where it tightened and began to blacken the dragon's scales.
 
Holy Dramon screamed, white fire again flying from her mouth. But Vamdemon swung out of the way with the chain, putting even more painful pressure on the dragon's neck.
 
"Hold her a little longer, Vamdemon!" Taomon called as she rose into the air behind him. She thrust out her hand, and three slips of paper flew from her sleeve, attaching themselves to Holy Dramon's forehead. At once, the pink dragon seemed to fall into a deep sleep.
 
Vamdemon jerked his hand, and the flaming chain faded into thin air. "That was closer than I would've preferred."
 
"I agree. Oh, and let me be the first to offer my congratulations." Taomon waved her giant brush about, and a long, pink banner bearing the words, "It's A Girl!" draped itself around Vamdemon's shoulders.
 
"Cute," Vamdemon muttered with a scowl. "But shouldn't you be sealing the other dragon as well?"
 
"Somehow, I don't think that will be necessary..."
 
* * * * *
 
Ruki wasn't sure what upset her more: that she'd had to watch the strange boy that saved Shuichon die, or that Juri and Shuichon had picked the worst possible time to be considerate.
 
Juri wanted to leave a note for Alice and Takato explaining where they were, and Shuichon wanted to e-mail Jenrya in case he came back looking for her. (Ruki had already explained twice that none of that would matter if the building was rubble in ten minutes like she thought it would be) Meanwhile, virtually right outside their window, Beelzebumon was getting pounded into the pavement by what could only be a Chaos Omegamon. Ruki was strangely grateful that it was so far having too much fun toying with Beelzebumon to kill him, though she couldn't bring herself to watch.
 
Her main concern was getting two foolish girls and two horrified parents out of the already wrecked building. Shuichon's parents had been reduced to little more than zombies that only moved when prodded roughly. Ruki found that a little strange in the father's case, as he had seen the Reaper up close. Although it had admittedly been some time ago.
 
Ruki reached her limit, however, when she found Juri making some tea for the road. "Oh, that's IT!" She grabbed the back of Juri's dress and dragged her out of the kitchen, shouting, "SHUICHON! We're leaving NOW!" There was, predictably, no answer, so Ruki stomped into Shuichon's room, where she found the girl still working on the e-mail with Culumon perched on her head.
 
"I can't decide what to say!" Shuichon cried helplessly.
 
"Say goodbye," Ruki snapped, grabbing Shuichon as well.
 
"Wait, Ruki-san!" Shuichon whined. "Pepper! PEPPER!"
 
The Black Agumon snorted and emerged from under her bed. Seeing his primary source of food leaving the room, he started after her at once. But something made him pause and stare at the little pink computer. He raised a claw and brought it down slowly on the keyboard, then hurried after the nearest human he could find, which turned out to be Shuichon's mother. Naturally, Mayumi did the most natural thing upon spotting a little black dinosaur with a mouthful of very sharp teeth.
 
Even as the screams grew more faint, Shuichon's computer beeped and brought up a tiny window that read, "Message Sent."
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Flight of the Valkyries
Turuiemon vanishes while Takato and Co. search for a portal back to their world. When Ruki's group is cornered, two mysterious and powerful Digimon appear to defend them. Jenrya & Rapidmon make a mad dash for home.
 
 
Digidex
Black Guilmon: Basically a black Guilmon, same implications as Black Agumon.
Holy/Magna Dramon: Hikari's Angewomon evolved into this in a movie. It looks somewhat like a pink, furry, snarling version of Qinglongmon, but without the headpiece, and is one of the Four Great Dragons.
Chaos Omegamon/Omnimon: No, he doesn't exist. But wouldn't it be wicked if he did?
Vamdemon/Myotismon: Yup, Gatomon's old boss that won't stay dead.
 
Multiform: Produce up to five temporary copies of a Digimon. Yu-Gi-Oh fans know where I got the idea.
Death/Skull Meramon's Binding Heat Chain: Trap an enemy Digimon up to one level higher than the user. I thought about adding a rule that only a Digimon related to Death Meramon can use it, but if Leomon can get away with using Lady Devimon Option, I won't even bother.
 
If you don't know why Ryo was able to snatch V-mon, you didn't read Qinglongmon's speech. If you don't know how Ken got here, that will be explained later. If you don't know why Pico never evolves into the same thing twice but HAVE noticed it, you get a Culumon cupcake. That was Fox Seal Paper that Taomon used, though I suspect it's generally much more painful. And yes, it IS a girl!
 
Reviews~!
Peter Kim:
The DigiGods never said the Holy Dragon was dead, only that he was defeated. There is a difference. He's alive, but just barely, and perhaps not for long.
There is no “fake” Holy Beast, the one who defeated the Holy Dragon is the NEW DigiGod, as in he has replaced Qinglongmon. As for who he is, you'll find out soon. He, however, is NOT a Holy Dragon.
Yes, Millenniumon has possessed Ryo and they are linked. That's the one thing you got right.
Parts are meant to be confusing, and they'll be even more so if you jump to conclusions too fast.
Never said that Pepper wouldn't be Shuichon's Digimon, only that her D-Arc doesn't work on him… For now, you can just consider him Shuichon's companion, but Lopmon is still hers. It's like the way Ruki felt responsible for Impmon. But keep in mind that all Digimon in the real world don't have Tamers.
 
Shadow Gallantmon:
Thanks for the support, all of it!
 
Akari & Kurai:
Actually, the creature of the center is a golden dragon. I have no idea what a kirin is, so maybe you're right, anyway.
Leaves are traditionally used in fox magic, especially shape changing.
The dragons that attacked the Tamers are all forms of Agumon, V-Mon, and Monodramon, each of whom has been used by Ryo to fight Millenniumon in the past (or, more specifically, in Digimon games).