Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Little Terrors ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: This chapter ended up being nearly twice the usual length, so enjoy while my brain recovers.
 
Summary: Takato's group has made it back to the real world, just in time to be ambushed. But has one of them paid the ultimate price to save the others?
 
 
Chapter 13: Little Terrors
 
 
Kenta was the last one to regain consciousness, and he could tell right away that something was really wrong.
 
All of the Cyberdramon were gone. Given the nature of the way they attacked, that was no surprise. There was also no trace of Ryo.
 
Alice was sitting on the ground, holding her DigiEgg tightly, with tears streaming silently down her face.
 
Takato stood next to her, his face a mask of hatred and frustration. Black Guilmon lay at his feet, occasionally sniffing the air, as if hoping to catch a certain scent.
 
After checking to make sure that Marine Angemon was still safely tucked in his pocket, Kenta carefully got to his feet and approached the others. “Does anyone know how we survived that blast?”
 
A muffled sob rose in Alice's throat, and her shoulders began to tremble.
 
Takato knelt and wrapped his arms around her. “We wouldn't have, if it wasn't for Renamon. She evolved to Taomon at the last second and threw up a barrier. But Pico thinks it drained all her power, and she…” He trailed off, unable to finish the sentence.
 
At that moment, Vamdemon touched down in their midst.
 
“Any sign of her, Pico?” Takato asked.
 
Vamdemon shook his head. “I am sorry. I could not locate her data. It is as if she just vanished…”
 
“She can't be gone!” Alice cried. “After all the times she saved us in the Digital World, Renamon can't be gone!”
 
Takato took Kenta aside. “Listen. When we meet up with Ruki, let me break the news to her.”
 
Kenta shook his head. “I don't think you'll have to. A Tamer can sense things like this. You remember what happened to Juri. It was like she died inside, too. There's no way Ruki didn't know what happened the instant Renamon was deleted.”
 
“Then I'll take the blame for this. I could probably take a punch from her better than you could.”
 
The color drained out of Kenta's face. “No argument here.”
 
* * * * *
 
Rapidmon fell to his knees, clearly exhausted. But still he rose to his feet, determined to protect his Tamer. “Don't worry, Jen-kun! I still got plenty of fight left in me!”
 
“You can't keep this up!” Jenrya protested from behind him. “They're too strong! Our only chance is to Bio-Merge!”
 
“No way! I'm not letting you get hurt! These guys are way stronger than normal Digimon!”
 
“THAT'S why you need my help!” Jenrya insisted. “Rapidmon, please! I don't want you to get hurt, either!”
 
Yamato laughed loudly as his two Digimon closed in. “Fools! How can you possibly expect to win without working together? Unless you do, you'll be destroyed! Metal Garurumon, prepare to attack! Antiramon, evolve!”
 
Jenrya knew this was their last chance. “Rapidmon! Do you trust me?”
 
Rapidmon froze and looked down. “Can't we talk about that later?!”
 
“NO! Answer me!”
 
Rapidmon sighed in frustration. “You KNOW I do!”
 
“Then de-evolve right now so we can Bio-Merge! You're not strong enough on your own! We can't win without helping each other!”
 
“What, now you're listening to the enemy?!”
 
“He helped us in the last trial, and he's doing it again! We don't have time to stand around arguing! Shuichon needs us! Not you, but US!”
 
At the mention of Shuichon, all of Rapidmon's protests faded. “Okay, Jen-kun. We'll try it your way.”
 
“OUR way,” Jenrya corrected, lifting his D-Arc. “We're partners. Never forget that.”
 
A bright green column of light suddenly appeared between them.
 
“Is this one of those rare times when we should go into the light?” Rapidmon asked.
 
“I think so. See you inside.” Jenrya stepped into the column without hesitation.
 
“Well, if everybody's doing it.” Rapid followed suit, and quickly found himself returned to his Child form of Terriermon. “Whoa…head rush!”
 
“You ready, partner?”
 
“Always!” Terriermon replied, leaping onto Jenrya's head. “Let's do it!”
 
As one, they shouted to the sky, “Bio-Merge Activate!”
 
The familiar feeling of oneness washed over them, and they began to reach for each other. But in that moment, a shadow passed between them, and an awfully familiar one at that.
 
“Jen-kun! Did you see?! That looked like Renamon!”
 
A shudder passed through Jenrya. “It looked like her, yes. Still, it felt like something darker. But we can't worry about that now.”
 
“Right! There's a robot wolf and an overgrown Easter Bunny that need a serious spanking!”
 
“Excellent,” Yamato whispered as Saint Galgomon took shape before him. “You have passed the second trial, Jenrya. You and your Digimon put your trust in each other, and unlocked the ability to Bio-Merge, with your friendship as the key. But now, I must test your courage.” As he spoke, the hair on his head grew spikier and brown, and his eyes blazed with malevolence. “Now, come to me, War Greymon!”
 
Kerpymon seemed to be swallowed by darkness, and in his place stood the tall Dragon Man Digimon.
 
“So it's metal and metal versus even more metal, huh?” Saint Galgomon asked. “Well, bring it on! We can take the both of you!”
 
“You can try,” Taichi murmured. “But this is one trial I won't be helping you with.”
 
* * * * *
 
Pokomon winced as she regained consciousness, and with good reason. The last thing she remembered seeing was a single Cyberdramon: Strike Mode, firing an instant after the others, and sealing her fate. His Erase Cannon had been the only one to breach her barrier, but it had been enough. It had taken all her strength to hold the barrier against such overwhelming odds, and she'd been no match for a direct blow.
 
She was still trying to figure out where she was, and why she couldn't smell the Tamers, when something warm and furry draped itself over her aching body.
 
“Do not be alarmed, little sister,” said a calm voice somewhere above her. “For the moment, at least, you are safe.”
 
“Where…am I?” Pokomon whispered. “Who are you?”
 
“Complicated questions, both,” the voice sighed. “You are currently in a gateway between several dimensions. I am, and have been for some time, the gatekeeper of this space. You may call me Youkomon.”
 
“Are we…deleted, then?”
 
“Far from it, and yet so close to it,” Youkomon replied. “The wound you suffered was a mortal one. Yet, before you could perish, I intervened, and brought you here. You see, there is no time in this place. If you chose to stay, you would forever remain at death's doorstep. The moment you left, however, you would pass through that door. Do you understand, little one?”
 
“Then…you've trapped me,” Pokomon whispered sadly.
 
“Not quite. I can allow anyone to enter and exit this place as I see fit. Your case just happens to be a bit more complex than that. But, if you are willing to trust me, then I believe we can help each other. I postponed your death because I thought you might be interested. Was I mistaken?”
 
“What could I possibly give you? You said yourself I was only inches from death.”
 
“That is because you lack the power to transcend your current plight. Together, we would have the power to free each other.”
 
“What do you mean? Can't you go wherever you want?”
 
“No, little one. I may open doorways to a number of dimensions, but I can pass through none myself. It is my curse. I have watched you for some time now, and I think you would be a most suitable wielder of the power I can give you. But in exchange, you must give me the one thing I have long desired: escape from this eternal duty. If you do that for me, you will be reunited with your beloved Ruki again.”
 
Pokomon only needed to consider the offer for a moment. “What must I do?”
 
“Neither of us can leave separately. But together, in one body, we could do so with ease.”
 
Pokomon's eyes widened. “You want to absorb my data?!”
 
There was a soft chuckle in the darkness. “No, little sister. I want you to absorb mine. You would be the host. I would merely be along for the ride. You would have full control over your body.”
 
“And you'd be willing to give up yours? Just to be free?”
 
“Yes. I have nothing else to exist for, except this cursed duty of mine. And you want to return to the human world without having to die, don't you? Even if you did die and were reborn, your Tamer might not survive that long without your protection. Even now, one who passed through this gate recently is setting events into motion. And he will not rest until the human world is his.”
 
“Millenniumon,” Pokomon breathed in despair.
 
“His power so exceeded that of my own, I had no choice but to let him pass. Even if we joined, we could not hope to stand against him. But I understand that these humans have a near limitless source of energy when partnered with a Digimon. Perhaps your Ruki is the key to bringing him down for good?”
 
“Maybe. If you really think that absorbing your data is the best path for us, then I will do it.”
 
“A decision you will never regret,” Youkomon stated, and for a brief moment, her form was bathed in light.
 
Pokomon gasped as she caught her first and only glimpse of her savior. If not for the colors, she would've sworn she was seeing herself in the form of Kyuubimon. But before she could question this, she felt a rush of warmth, and suddenly, she found herself alone in the dark.
 
“Not alone, sister,” said a voice in her ear, but she knew it hadn't come from behind her, but within her.
 
“We're the same,” she whispered. “Aren't we?”
 
“We are now,” Youkomon agreed. “Now we must go. Our Tamer awaits us.”
 
“Yes,” Renamon replied, getting to her feet. “Ruki needs me…” With a mere thought, a gateway opened before her, and she could see Ruki's face: angry, frightened, and determined all at once. “Don't worry, Ruki. I won't let you stand alone anymore.”
 
* * * * *
 
Lee Janyuu was almost pleased to see his two greatest creations getting along so well. But, considering his wife's current state, it was difficult to enjoy the sight.
 
Shuichon had made a big show of re-introducing Lopmon to everyone, as if they could've possibly forgotten him. She was now in the middle of feeding both him and Pepper (instead of being jealous, Pepper had merely sniffed Lopmon, apparently considered him an ally, and then gone right back to eating).
 
Her mother, however, had gone from fearing Digimon to being in a constant state of calm shock. Mayumi sat perfectly still in her seat, and reacted to most things with little more than murmurs of agreement now. Janyuu thought she might've convinced herself that anything Reaper-related had just been a bad dream, and that their current crisis was still busy shattering her false truth. In the last few minutes, Culumon had discovered that she made an excellent seat, and was now perched on her shoulder.
 
If Shuichon was aware of any of that, she was blissfully ignoring it. Pepper and Lopmon seemed to take up all of her attention. Pepper was still communicating in grunts and growls, but he seemed to understand everything that Shuichon said to him despite that. Of course, most of her questions bordered on, “Who's a good little dinosaur?” but the progress in such a short amount of time was amazing to Janyuu. Lopmon mostly sat back watched pretty much everything, his bright eyes constantly shifting to include the entire room in his gaze. He gave Janyuu the impression of being calm, but watchful. It bothered him that any Digimon should have to be that way, but it was far too late to do anything about it now. Whatever they were running from had seen to that.
 
So when the small, red dragon Digimon came crashing through the window, Lopmon was on it in an instant, lacing his ears together around the dragon's throat in order to choke it.
 
Pepper was almost as fast, vomiting up a large fireball.
 
Lopmon slid fluidly away, leaving the dragon to take the full brunt of the blast as it was hurled right back out of the window.
 
Shuichon's reaction was not quite what Janyuu would've hoped for.
 
“Otousan, may we be excused? I think we need to save the world again. Or at least the kitchen.”
 
* * * * *
 
Impmon's eyes flicked open as a familiar smell reached his nose.
 
It was the stink of fear.
 
He blinked a few times, and quickly realized that he'd either chosen the best or the worst time to wake up.
 
Ruki's backyard was absolutely covered in small, grinning dragons. For the most part, Impmon recognized them as V-mon of various colors. That is, until he noticed that each had a mouthful of steel teeth about two sizes too big. It occurred to him that they weren't grinning; they simply had no other expressions.
 
He was about to pull away from whoever was holding him and do the hero bit when something tall, silver, and furry blocked his view. Impmon slowly looked up to see the imposing form of Panjamon standing between him and the V-mon. At the moment, he couldn't think of a single complaint against that.
 
“Be careful, Panjamon!” a familiar voice said, and Impmon started with a shocked look on his face. That voice had been right over his head. Which meant that Juri was holding him. Not Ruki, but Juri.
 
Ruki was the first to notice that Impmon was awake. “I hope you had a nice nap. We need your help.”
 
“Tell me somethin' I don't know,” Impmon grumbled, leaping out of Juri's arms. “Don't suppose either of you got a blue card to spare? I don't want a repeat of what happened the last time I depended on the white dwarf to help out.”
 
“Would that work? We're not your Tamers,” Ruki pointed out.
 
“You two done more for me than they ever did. That's gotta count for somethin', right?”
 
Ruki shrugged, even as she drew a blue card and slid it through her D-Arc. “Card Slash! Warp Evolution!”
 
Impmon grinned as the familiar sensation washed over him, and it felt far more natural than it had any previous time. There was definitely something to evolving with a human, instead of a Deva.
 
“Thanks, Ruki,” Beelzebumon said as he flexed his muscles. “Now do me a favor and stay inside. I am supposed to be a bodyguard.” He had only taken a single step when Juri's voice rang out.
 
“Card Slash! Snimon's Sickles!”
 
Beelzebumon stopped short as his arms grew thin and hardened into cold, curved steel blades. He blinked and glanced back at Juri, who was doing her best not to blush and failing miserably. “Thanks, Juri. Now get inside, both of you!”
 
Ruki dragged Juri back into the house, just in time to run into her grandmother. “Where are Kazu and Shuichon?!”
 
Her grandmother paused. “You mean that nice young man? He said his angel was going to take care of everything, but Janyuu said that Shuichon just went out to deal with the little dragon.”

”What?! There has to be a hundred of them out there!”
 
There was wild laughter from the backyard, followed by an ominous slashing sound and a dying scream.
 
“Make that ninety-nine,” Juri added hesitantly.
 
* * * * *
 
Saint Galgomon winced as WarGreymon's claws slashed into his armored body yet again. It was becoming apparent that this would not be an easy battle. The real problem was that there was just no chance to press the attack. Whenever Saint Galgomon tried to put some distance between them, seconds later he was on the receiving end of an icy missile barrage from Metal Garurumon. But when he got close, WarGreymon was always there to beat him into a stalemate. And while Saint Galgomon was capable of withstanding WarGreymon's pounding or shrugging off Metal Garurumon's missiles for a period, he could not do both, and certainly not for very long.
 
Unfortunately, while both parts of Saint Galgomon knew that, only one of them would admit it.
 
“Don't quit on me now, Jen-kun!” Terriermon encouraged. “We got `em right where we want `em!”
 
“This isn't working and you know it, Terriermon,” Jenrya disagreed. “We can't keep this up. We have to try something different.”
 
“No time! INCOMING!!!”
 
Jenrya soon realized that WarGreymon had backed off, and the reason for that was all too clear as the familiar whistling sound grew louder and closer. Already he could feel Terriermon's personality forcing its way to the front to take the brunt of the missile blasts. But it didn't matter much; by then, their shared body had taken so much damage that Jenrya was in pain just from breathing. It touched him that Terriermon still insisted on protecting him, but it didn't change their situation in the least.
 
As the smoke from the missiles cleared, the pounding, rapid footsteps of WarGreymon returned, growing louder by the second.
 
Saint Galgomon lugged himself to his feet, preparing himself to pour all he had into one last, titanic effort. Even before WarGreymon came into view, Jenrya fired every smaller missile they had in one giant Burst Shot.
 
The ground itself shook with the force of the explosions, and WarGreymon's loud footsteps were lost in them, before stopping altogether.
 
“We got him! I know we got him!” Terriermon insisted, already on the brink of celebrating their victory.
 
“Question is, did he feel it?” Jenrya asked, even as something large and round became visible through the smoke.
 
“Huh? What's that?” Terriermon asked.
 
“I don't know, but it almost looks like—RUN!!!”
 
By the time Terriermon realized what had his Tamer so scared, it was too late to run.
 
The large, round object was an energy ball of enormous proportions, glowing a malevolent, fiery orange. It was easily three times the size of Saint Galgomon, yet rested comfortably between WarGreymon's broad shoulders.
 
“We'll never get far enough to outrun it!” Jenrya cried.
 
“Who says we're trying? GIANT MISSILE!!!”
 
“TERRIERMON, WAIT!!!”
 
It was too late. Saint Galgomon fired his two large, shoulder-mounted missiles, the yellow face on each breaking out into a mischievous grin as they plowed straight into the energy ball.
 
WarGreymon made a terrible grunting roar, and Saint Galgomon slowly realized that he was laughing. Then the Dramon Killers trembled ominously, and WarGreymon began to swing his arms forward.
 
“Gaia Fo-”
 
The energy ball exploded without warning, slamming WarGreymon into the dirt as the destructive waves raced in every direction.
 
Saint Galgmon whirled around, in time to catch a wave to the back. The pain was so intense that it threatened to break their joined form, and it was only by sheer force of will that Terriermon held them together.
 
Until the next wave hit. And the next. And the next.
 
Jenrya felt himself falling, and the next thing he knew, he was facedown on the ground. Everything that he could still identify as being attached to his body hurt. He could've sworn that even his hair hurt. But he quickly forgot that anything hurt when the silence rolled over him. Even the wind had died in the blast.
 
Then a hand seized the back of his neck, and he was pulled up roughly, only to stare into the furious eyes of Taichi.
 
“You just became more trouble than you're worth, Lee,” he snarled. Looking into the distance, he shouted, “Do it, Metal Garurumon!”
 
The metal-covered wolf came forward at once, the tip of one sharp wing resting against Jenrya's throat.
 
“Are you ready to die, Lee? Are you ready to admit that you can't win, no matter what you try? Are you ready to give up?!” Taichi yelled in his face.
 
“It…was all…worth it,” Jenrya whispered.
 
Taichi smirked. “Yeah? Was it worth losing your Digimon?”
 
The words hit Jenrya even harder than the last explosion had, and he blinked back tears. “Yes.”
 
“You sure about that?”
 
“Yes,” Jenrya whispered, his voice quivering. “We did it all for Shuichon. She's all that matters.”
 
“Then you're ready to die for her, Lee?” Taichi growled, and Metal Garurumon's wing press hard enough that Jenrya could feel blood slipping down his neck.
 
“I would…do anything for Shuichon,” Jenrya gasped, shutting his eyes tightly.
 
A soft, warm hand pressed gently against his cheek. “You passed,” a voice said.
 
Jenrya's eyes snapped open. Taichi and Metal Garurumon were gone. Standing in front of them, though, was a small brown-haired girl about Shuichon's age. Her bright eyes seemed to sparkle as she gazed at him.
 
“I…what?” Jenrya asked slowly.
 
“You passed,” she said again, patting his cheek. “Your trials are over, Jenrya. At least, these are. But I'm afraid there will be more, before you can see Shuichon again. The good news is, she'll wait for you, however long it takes. Because she knows you'll come for her. She's always known, in her heart. So have you.”
 
“But…Terriermon…” Jenrya said brokenly.
 
“Oh, him? He's fine.” The girl reached down and picked Terriermon up, as if he'd been at their feet the whole time. And maybe he had. At any rate, he out an undignified snore as she passed him to Jenrya, proving he was indeed alive. “Sorry about before. You had to be tested. We had to be sure that you were worthy and capable of handling what I'm about to give you.”
 
“We? Who is-”
 
The girl pressed a finger to his lips, shushing him. “One last thing, Jenrya. It's good that you're willing to die for Shuichon. But that doesn't mean you should, so don't go off thinking you have to. If anything would break her heart, it would be watching you die. No brother or sister should EVER have to watch that. So keep both you and her safe. Do you hear me?”
 
Jenrya nodded. “I do.”
 
“Good. Have a present.” The girl gently took Terriermon away and set him on the ground. Then she leaned forward, taking Jenrya's face in her small hands and softly pressing her lips to his forehead in a tender kiss.
 
Jenrya's eyes widened. He suddenly had a vision of himself years before, wincing as he entered a room that smelled strongly of recently changed diapers and baby oil. His younger self walked up to a small mat, where a tiny Shuichon was wailing her head off. Near as he and his parents could figure, she hated being changed because she thought someone was trying to steal her bottom. He let that odd little image slip from his mind as he reached down and took the crying baby into his arms.
 
“Don't cry, imouto,” he said quietly, brushing his lips over her little head. “I'll always look out for you.”
 
Shuichon stopped crying and stared up at him with teary, unimpressed eyes. Finally, she stuck a fist in her mouth and allowed him to hold her a little longer, before deciding that her stuffed animals were more interesting than him.
 
As the vision faded, Jenrya found himself holding a glowing, golden sphere of light.
 
“Don't lose it,” the girl advised. “I can't get you another one.”
 
“I'll hang onto it for ya, Jen-kun!” Terriermon said, flopping onto Jenrya's head and snatching the light up with his long, floppy ears.
 
The girl giggled as Jenrya slowly stood up. “Shuichon's lucky to have a brother like you. Now, go get her. Sometimes a girl just needs her big brother to hold her and tell her everything is going to be fine.”
 
The light between Terriermon's ears suddenly intensified, and Jenrya found two words rushing to his lips.
 
“Digimental Up!”
 
The light blinded him for a few seconds, and he felt Terriermon's weight leave his head.
 
“Whoa! Check it out, Jen-kun! A new paint job!”
 
Jenrya opened his eyes to see a golden armored Rapidmon before him. “I think it's more than that.”
 
“Meet Holy Rapidmon. He should get you back with Shuichon in no time,” the girl said. “So get going!”
 
“But you are you? What's your name?” Jenrya asked.
 
The girl smiled. “You already know it, even if you don't know you do. Go!”
 
Before Jenrya could protest, Holy Rapidmon scooped him up and soared into the sky.
 
“Good luck, Jenrya,” the girl said quietly. She turned to see Taichi and Metal Garurumon joining her. “So, how'd I do?”
 
“I give the performance a ten, but your form needs work,” Taichi replied. “Did you know your nose is off center again?”
 
The girl scowled at him. “I told you humans aren't my specialty, but would you guys listen?! Anyway, HE didn't seem to notice!”
 
“Of course not! After the beating we gave him, he's lucky he knew his own name!” Metal Garurumon chimed in.
 
At that point, the ground nearby shifted, and a lone Bakamon stuck his head out, looking woozy.
 
Taichi sighed. “Uh oh. Frankie lost his shape again.”
 
“It wasn't my fault!” Frankie blubbered as he floated over to them, waving unsteadily. “You try taking a Gaia Force to the back of the head!”
 
“Sorry about that, Frankie,” the girl said, patting his head soothingly. “None of us REALLY expected him to fire the missiles.”
 
“I mean, who DOES that?!” Taichi asked incredulously.
 
“Apparently, HE DOES!” Frankie bawled. “You guys didn't even TRY to help me out!”
 
“It would've blown our cover!” the girl protested. “And we WANTED to, but we couldn't! It was better to make it look like you were down for good…”
 
“Some pals you guys are! Next time the big guy wants us to do a mission in the human world, I'm signing up for house haunting!” Frankie flew off, still sniffling to himself.
 
“Aw, don't be that way, Frankie!” Taichi called, shaking his head. “Ah, we better go get him before somebody sees. I was starting to like this body, too.”
 
“Me, too. I think I'm starting to see what the DigiGods see in these humans,” the girl added. “They're kinda cute.”
 
Taichi shook his head. “Dude, just because your voice is high enough to play the girl doesn't mean you should get into it. I mean, really!”
 
“I wasn't into it!” the girl protested angrily.
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Taichi muttered. His body suddenly shifted, also becoming that of a Bakamon. “Now would you slip that thing off and come on? I'm getting sick to my stomach just LOOKING at you!”
 
“You're just mad cuz I wear pink better!”
 
Metal Garurumon shook his head as he discarded his borrowed form as well. “He's right, Joey. You were totally into it.”
 
“I WASN'T!” the girl shrieked.
 
“You SOUNDED into it, anyway. That's almost worse, in a way. Take it off and let's go.”
 
Joey complained a bit more, but finally shifted to his true form and floated after his companions. “I don't care what any of them say. I'm just a great actor, that's all…”
 
“INTO IT, JOEY!” Taichi's voice rang out.
 
“SHUT UP!!!”
 
* * * * *
 
Panjamon ducked as another of the V-mon flew past, it's cold, sharp teeth just missing his head. He turned, snatched it out of the air, and hurled it at another, following up with a cry of, “Ice Beast Fist!” The frozen, lion-shaped projectile obliterated both V-mon on contact, and their data floated lazily in the air before him.
 
There was no time to consider whether or not he should absorb it, as Beelzebumon appeared behind him.
 
“Down in front if you wanna keep that head, Leo! Shadow Sickles!”
 
Panjamon ducked again, this time avoiding the sickles that whipped over his head, slashing several V-mon to blood red data bits. While Panjamon didn't exactly approve of the Demon Lord's methods, he could not fault Beelzebumon's efficiency when it came to extermination.
 
As if finally realizing that their numbers were dwindling, the V-mon all froze.
 
“Perhaps they finally realize how futile their efforts are?” Panjamon muttered. “They aren't much stronger than normal V-mon, after all. Their real advantage seems to be sheer numbers.”
 
Beelzebumon grunted in disagreement. “Yeah, well, I don't think they're stupid enough to take a break in the middle of a fight.” Only after placing his back to Panjamon's did he look over towards the house. “Hey, Ruki!”
 
“What?!” she shouted back.
 
“Juri's got a Whamon's Rising Tide in her deck! Tell her to use it!”
 
“How do you know?!”
 
“Cuz I don't mind my own damn business, that's how! USE IT!”
 
“Do you know what you're doing?” Panjamon asked hesitantly.
 
Beelzebumon grinned wickedly over his shoulder at him. “Don't matter. That card will only work on one of us.”
 
Panjamon's eyes widened, and as he opened his mouth to voice his protest, a flood of water rushed from it, mowing down everything in its path. Most of the V-mon were to surprised to do anything more than get pulled under, but a few managed to retreat to the high wall surrounding the house in time.
 
“Think that's enough, waterboy,” Beelzebumon said, whacking Panjamon hard across the back and abruptly ending the water spout. “I can handle the rest from here.”
 
Panjamon coughed loudly, glaring as the Demon Lord shook his sickles back into arms and reached for the double-barreled shotguns strapped to his back.
 
Beelzebumon was not a genius by any means, but just as his fingers brushed the guns, he caught the glare of a gold V-mon. The little beast did nothing more than grin, as all the others had, but something in its eyes told the Demon Lord that he'd just been set up.
 
Then the gold V-mon threw its head back and let out the most horrible sound that Beelzebumon had ever heard in his life. His hand flew from his guns to clap over his ears, and Panjamon quickly followed suit.
 
But then all the other V-mon joined in, creating a shriek that quickly rose in volume and intensity.
 
Beelzebumon and Panjamon fell to their knees, trying to block out the bloodcurdling sound, but it was useless. They could feel their muscles growing numb and their bodies rapidly locking into place.
 
Though there was no chance of being heard over all the noise, Panjamon still roared at the top of his lungs, “JURI! RUKI! YOU HAVE TO RUN!!!”
 
That was when the first green V-mon darted past him, headed straight for the back door.
 
* * * * *
 
Ruki never heard Panjamon's warning. Like everyone in a three-mile radius, after the V-mon had started screaming, she hadn't heard anything else. She could still see, however, and couldn't help but be impressed when the green V-mon came running into the house. It definitely had ears, but apparently it was immune to the noise.
 
The V-mon spotted her instantly, flashed that same lethal grin they all possessed, and then leaped at her.
 
Ruki wanted to close her eyes, since she didn't want that image to be her final one, but she couldn't manage to do anything other than stare, for the moment.
 
However, the V-mon's deathgrin stopped inches away from her, thanks largely to the two silver-furred paws that grabbed around its arms.
 
Ruki only heard the voice that followed because it spoke directly into her head, and most likely the V-mon's as well.
 
“Your first mistake was trying to harm my Tamer. Your second was thinking you'd survive the attempt.”
 
With that, the paws brutally yanked the V-mon in half, spreading its data all over the room.
 
Ruki took a deep shuddering breath, and was startled to realize that she could move again. Even better, all of the V-mon had stopped screaming, for some unknown reason. And unless she was crazy, Renamon was standing directly in front of her.
 
“Renamon?” she whispered uncertainly. “Is that…you?”
 
The Digimon was definitely a Renamon, that much she knew for sure. What Ruki really wanted to know was if it was still HER Renamon. And if it was, was it Renamon, or her ghost? Her question was soon answered, but not in the way that she expected.
 
The Renamon came closer, her silvery-white tail swishing from side to side as she folded Ruki into her arms, resting her head on the girl's. “I've missed you so, Ruki,” she murmured softly. “I'm never leaving your side again.”
 
“Oh,” was all Ruki could think to say.
 
Renamon chuckled. “I know I must seem different, but it is me. The new and improved me, you could say. Search your feelings…your thoughts…your heart, if you have any doubt.”
 
“I don't need to,” Ruki replied, burying her face in Renamon's fur. “You feel the same…even if you don't look it. Anyway, I'd rather get used to silver than not having you around.”
 
Renamon pulled back slightly and tilted Ruki's head up. “So you missed me, too, then?”
 
“You know I did, Renamon,” Ruki whispered, the start of tears in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away, however, when Juri burst into the room.
 
“Ruki! Are you okay?! I thought I-” Juri stopped, her eyes widening in disbelief.
 
Renamon smiled. “Hello, Juri.”
 
“RENAMON!” Juri cried, flinging herself into the fox's arms. “You're back!”
 
“So it would seem,” Renamon laughed, catching her easily. “Thank you for looking after Ruki for me.”
 
Juri blushed. “Well, really, she's been looking after me. But you're welcome! And welcome back!”
 
In the next moment, Beelzebumon and Panjamon burst into the room, weapons drawn. Both of them, upon realizing that the danger had passed, holstered their weapons, and not without looking a bit sheepish, either.
 
Beelzebumon was the first one to break the silence. “What, so polar fur is in this season?”
 
Renamon rolled her eyes. “Nice to see you, too, Impmon,” she replied. Her gaze then traveled to Panjamon, who was looking a bit threatened by her presence.
 
Juri seemed to pick up on it as well, and hurried over to him. “Panjamon, I want you to meet—well, re-meet someone.” She took his large paw and dragged him over to Ruki. “This is Renamon, Ruki's partner.”
 
“Silver Renamon, if you want to be technical,” Renamon added, her eyes never leaving Panjamon's.
 
“Then…you are Ruki's protector?” Panjamon asked.
 
Renamon didn't blink. “That's right. Does that…bother you?”
 
Panjamon looked as if it did. “I think we have much to discuss, concerning the security of our Tamers.”
 
“You mean, since they spend so much time together,” Renamon said, a look of understanding crossing her face.
 
“In bed,” Beelzebumon added under his breath.
 
Juri turned bright red, and Ruki shot him a look that could freeze water.
 
“I,” Renamon stated, extending her paw, “would be happy to join forces with you, Panjamon.”
 
Something of a gruff smile appeared on Panjamon's face. “Then we agree on one thing already,” he said, clasping her arm firmly.
 
“Mmm,” Renamon murmured, so low that it was almost a purr. “That's quite a grip you have there, big boy.”
 
Beelzebumon immediately cocked his shotgun and pointed it at Renamon. “Any more mushy stuff and I shoot! This ain't Animal Planet!”
 
Renamon somewhat reluctantly released Panjamon's paw and turned to her Tamer. “I have to go, Ruki. Takato and the others might assume the worst if they can't find me. I need to get back to them before they do something drastic…”
 
Ruki nodded. “Go. I'll wait you here.”
 
Renamon frowned, her tail curling almost reflexively around Ruki's waist. “You will not. I told you, I'm not leaving you again, Ruki. You're coming.”
 
“…okay,” Ruki said slowly, staring up at Renamon. “Juri, tell grandma I had to leave for a bit.”
 
The thought of missing a chance to see Takato made Juri want to protest, but Panjamon's paw came to rest on her shoulder.
 
“We should not divide our forces any further, Juri. We are needed here.”
 
Renamon and Ruki had just vanished into a black hole when Kazu ran into the room. “Wait!” he shouted as the hole snapped shut behind them.
 
“What's wrong?” Juri asked, seeing the worried look on his face. “Is Shuichon okay?”
 
“She was the last time I saw her, but she just disappeared as soon as all the V-mon did! And they all fell into black holes just like that one, so I thought maybe she fell in one by mistake! Valkyrimon can't find her, Lopmon, or Pepper anywhere!”
 
* * * * *
 
“I think we're lost, Lopmon,” Shuichon said worriedly. “I don't think there's a forest next to Ruki's house.”
 
Lopmon said nothing. If his hunch was right, Shuichon's untamed ability to open portals to the digital world had manifested yet again. He certainly didn't want to indicate that their being lost was her fault, but he couldn't lie to her, either.
 
Pepper seemed to be the least concerned. He glanced around warily for a moment, and then sat down at Shuichon's feet, opening and shutting his jaws in a way that implied he might need them soon.
 
Shuichon checked her D-Arc (as Ruki had taught her to do), but there was no sign of the other Tamers. There were only two pink spots on the screen: a larger one (her own location), and a slightly smaller one (Lopmon's). It didn't exactly bother her that there was no black dot representing Pepper; she had an idea that she'd eventually have to give him back to whoever had lost him at some point.
 
“I know this place,” Lopmon said suddenly. “We are in Xuanwumon's territory.”
 
“Is he nice?” Shuichon asked hopefully.
 
“Well, he prefers talking to fighting, so I guess so. In fact, the only time I've ever seen him fight was against the Reaper.”
 
“So…if we find him, he won't be mad and yell and spit fire like the bad birdie did?”
 
Lopmon's eyes darkened at the memory. “I highly doubt it. Anyway, I don't think he can spit fire.”
 
“Which way is he?”
 
“I have no idea. Despite being the slowest of them, Xuanwumon is also the most mobile of the DigiGods. Maybe that's because if he ever stopped, he'd always be late…”
 
Shuichon pouted. “So we can't find him?”
 
“Not without some help, at least.”
 
At that point, Pepper stood up and tugged on Shuichon's leg. Once he got her attention, he made something of a combined grunt and growl, then turned and started walking off.
 
“Pepper! You shouldn't go off by yourself!” Shuichon scolded, running after him and wrapping her arms around him.
 
Pepper made an annoyed snuffling sound and batted her arms away, continuing to head deeper into the forest.
 
“I think he wants us to follow,” Lopmon said after a moment. “Maybe he knows where Xuanwumon is.”
 
“He should've said something, then,” Shuichon replied.
 
Lopmon sighed and grasped his Tamer's wrist with his long ear. “Come, Shuichon. We shouldn't let him get too far ahead, just in case.”
 
“In case what?”
 
“In case,” Lopmon said firmly, tugging her along after him.
 
“Is this another one of those things I'm not old enough to understand?”
 
* * * * *
 
Alice woke up to find her cheek resting on Guilmon's head. She blinked a few times as everything came back to her. They had made it back their world, but Renamon had paid the price for them all. Her face crumpled, and Alice felt tears prickling behind her eyes.
 
“Alice? Are you awake?”
 
She looked up to see Kenta emerging from the darkness, holding her DigiEgg. “Sorry. I didn't want you to worry about it, but I thought I should try to keep it warm.”
 
“Thanks, Kenta,” Alice said quietly, taking it back from him with a small smile. “How did you do it?”
 
An undecipherable look crossed his face, but only for a second. “Kept it close to my DigiCore.”
 
Alice decided to change the subject. “Where's Takato? And where are we, for that matter?”
 
“Abandoned building. Takato said we should get off the streets, in case Ryo came back. He and Pico are still out…well…searching.”
 
“I hope she's not dead, too,” Alice whispered. “Even though it's hard to believe.”
 
“Well, none of us actually saw it happen,” Kenta reasoned. “There's a chance she survived.”
 
“Maybe.” Alice ran her fingers gently up and down her DigiEgg. “Is Marine Angemon okay?”
 
“Oh, yeah. Just sleeping it off, the little bum.” He poked his pocket with a finger. “I've never seen him go down from one hit like that. Ryo's Digimon must be really strong.”
 
“Even if they weren't, there were so many.” Alice bit her lip. “We never stood a chance, did we?”
 
“No. And yet, I don't think he was trying to get rid of us.”
 
“Well, that's an odd way to look at it.”
 
“I know. But I think he was testing us. Seeing how strong we were. I mean, if he'd wanted us dead, why just leave us there? I doubt it would've taken him much trouble to have another squad of Cyberdramon appear on the scene. He could've wiped us out while we were unconscious. It's like he's playing a game with us.”
 
Alice frowned. “I don't want to see the score, then.”
 
Kenta offered her a brave grin. “I'm sure we'll think of something to turn the tables. We always do.”
 
“I'm glad. I'm still sort of new at this.”
 
“Surely you had at least one battle before you found me?”
 
“…three or four.”
 
“And you came out of those in one piece, didn't you?”
 
“But half the time, Takato or Renamon was protecting me.”
 
Kenta stared at her. “I refuse to believe that you got a Vamdemon on your first try at evolving.” He silently hoped that Alice knew nothing about him getting Marine Angemon with no effort at all.
 
“…okay, that we've done a bit.”
 
“You see? There's…well, obviously there's SOMETHING to worry about. But don't worry about that. Our Digimon will always be there for us. And I bet Renamon's finding her way back right now.”
 
“Let's hope so,” Takato said as he walked up to them with Pico on his shoulder. “I think we should leave.”
 
“Did you see something?” Alice asked as he helped her up.
 
“No. Maybe that's the problem. Call it a gut feeling.”
 
“I'd trust that gut,” Kenta advised. “You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen it force down and live through.”
 
Alice couldn't help laughing a bit, but it died in her throat when Takato didn't even flinch. “Takato?”
 
He blinked and looked at her. “Let's move. Ryo might be making more demented Digimon as we speak. And I've got a hunch that they're only going to get stronger. We need to do the same.”
 
“How? We can't use the DigiCores until it's time.”
 
“I know. But that's no reason to give up on ourselves. We figured out Bio-Merging, so we can figure this out, too.”
 
“Hold on a minute,” Kenta said. “Maybe we don't need to search for other ways to get stronger. Maybe we already have one.”
 
“I beg to differ,” Alice disagreed.
 
“You shouldn't. You're one of the ones I'm taking about. You, Kenta, and myself are the only Tamers that haven't managed to Bio-Merge. If we could, we'd be a lot stronger in the coming battles.”
 
“But you remember how each of us gained the ability,” Takato pointed out. “We could only pull it off when there was an absolute need. We can't just make it happen. At least, I don't think so. We never did find out how Ryo managed it.”
 
Kenta snorted. “Yeah, well, I'd like to know how he manages a lot of things these days. Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to ask for any more trouble. I don't want to get flattened in a misguided attempt to Bio-Merge. But it's not like we can fight each other, right?”
 
“Says the Tamer with a Digimon that's never been seen outside of Ultimate. Face it, Kenta. If Marine Angemon wouldn't make a good sparring partner, no one would. Pico needs the practice, and with Renamon missing, we can't afford to hold anything back.”
 
“Even if we can't Bio-Merge,” Alice added, “it wouldn't hurt for Pico to get an Ultimate evolution, too. You've at least got that advantage, Kenta.” She was suddenly glad that Takato hadn't mentioned the battle with Kerpymon to him.
 
Kenta sighed. “Well, I guess I'm outvoted. But can we at least wait until he wakes up?”
 
At that moment, Kenta's pocket rustled, and Marine Angemon flew out, coming to rest on his Tamer's head.
 
“I guess that nap did him some good,” Alice commented. “You up for some practice, Pico?”
 
Pico hopped from Takato's shoulder to hers. “Alice must fight now.”
 
“Huh? What do you mean?”
 
“He means,” said a voice from the darkness, “that you're not the only one interested in a fight.”
 
Takato instantly moved Alice behind him, even as Guilmon leapt to his feet, snarling.
 
“I suppose I'm no longer allowed in your little club,” Ryo said, smiling at them. “But I just couldn't stay away. I missed you too much.”
 
“Get out,” Takato whispered.
 
“I have every intention of doing so…after you've agreed to my terms.”
 
“Do we have a choice?”
 
“Of course, Takato. You can participate, or you can wait until I've finished conquering your world.”
 
“Participate in what, exactly?” Kenta asked.
 
“A challenge. Each team selects two Perfections to fight. If you win, I will leave your world. If I win, then my conquest proceeds as planned.”
 
“It can't be that easy,” Takato growled. “What's the catch?”
 
Ryo chuckled. “You are an astute one, Takato. The `catch,' as you put it, is that both Perfections must be partnered with the same Tamer.”
 
“That's impossible! You know none of us has two Digimon!”
 
“I think you're wrong,” Ryo said quietly. “Isn't he, Alice?”
 
Takato whipped around, fully expecting to see some huge, deformed Cybermon behind Alice, ready to rip her in two. Instead, he found Alice staring down at her DigiEgg, which had begun to pulse rapidly in her hands.
 
“Digimon are very talented creatures. They can sense when they're needed. Call out to your egg, and it will hatch for you. I suggest you do it quickly, unless you want to take an egg into battle.”
 
“Alice should speak to child,” Pico said in his Tamer's ear.
 
Alice hesitantly raised the DigiEgg to her face. “Um…little egg? I'm your Tamer. We could really, um…use your help. Right now. So if you could just…hatch, that'd be great.”
 
Instantly, a long, jagged crack split the DigiEgg from top to bottom.
 
“Can't believe that worked,” Kenta muttered softly.
 
The egg halves fell away, and Alice was left holding what looked like a pink bowling ball.
 
“How come it's not moving?” Alice whispered, looking scared. “Digimon can't be stillborn, can they?”
 
Pico peered closely at the unmoving Digimon. Finally he reached out with his sharp, red talons and gave the Digimon a good pinch.
 
“OW!” a surprisingly high voice shouted, and the pink ball flew out of Alice's hands, unfolding two wings from its body. “Watch those claws, buddy!” it shouted, yellow eyes aglow with anger.
 
“You're alive!” Alice cried with joy, holding out her hands.
 
The flying pink ball finally noticed her. “MOM!”
 
Alice only had time to blink in slight confusion before the ball sailed into her arms. “Mom…?”
 
“I'm so glad you're here, Mom! There's pinchers, and-!”
 
“Child is noisy,” Pico declared with a frown.
 
The pink ball turned towards him curiously. “…Dad?”
 
Pico's eyes widened in something like fear.
 
“DAD!!!” The pink ball launched itself at him, knocking him off Alice's shoulder.
 
Alice grabbed the ball before it could do any further damage. “Settle down! I didn't call you just so you could fly around ramming into things!”
 
“Oooh! We gonna fight now, Mom, huh?!” it asked excitedly.
 
Ryo grinned. “I like a child who speaks her mind, don't you?”
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: The Way of Black Turtle
 
Alice faces off with two dragons. Shuichon stumbles upon a secret of the DigiGods. A spider finds its prey.
 
 
Digidex
Youkomon: Kyuubimon's twin, but with violet fur, depending on the picture.
Cyber V-Mon: (made `em myself) These small dragons are relentless in their attacks, using their Vortex Cry to stun foes, and speed to close in with their Cyber Bite. I've actually only seen blue and green V-mon, but they can come in other colors, too.
Silver Renamon: If you've ever played Digimon: Battle Spirits, you know she's really an alternate color. But I really wanted to use her, so here she is. As stated, she (rather, the Youkomon side of her) can open portals to a number of dimensions, but she'll mostly be using that to further Renamon's teleporting ability.
Bakamon: As seen in 02, these digital ghosts actually can shape shift into humans rather convincingly.
 
Snimon's Sickles: Summon the power of Snimon to defeat a large number of enemies.
Whamon's Rising Tide: Your opponent loses any Rookie or Champion cards in his hand.
 
Endnotes:
If you're trying to figure out what Alice hatched, don't hurt yourself. Just keep in mind that Pico has a habit of breaking the rules (or at least ignoring them completely).