Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ The Way of Black Turtle ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: You may want to go back and check the updated cast list waaay back in the first chapter, before reading this one. Or not, if you don't want to spoil it for yourself.
 
 
Chapter 14: The Way of Black Turtle
 
 
“You know your task?” the dark fog whispered in his ear.
 
He nodded. “I must unite the Four Fallen.”
 
“You know your enemy?”
 
“The Great Defiler.”
 
“You know the price you must pay?”
 
“I must give of my heart to seal him.”
 
“Then call to your heart, and begin its beat.”
 
He reached into darkness. “Kunemon.” As he drew his left arm back, he found a yellow insect with violet legs clinging to it. Though he could feel the bug's weight, at the same time, part of him insisted that there was no weight; that the bug's presence there as natural as his own arm's.
 
“Go forth, my chosen child. Restore the light to your world.”
 
There was a slight nudge at his back, and he took his first steps into the sunlight. The brightness caught him off guard, and he shielded his eyes with the arm that Kunemon was resting on. When he lowered his arm, he found himself staring at a young girl.
 
“Did you know your turtle has two heads?” she asked.
 
He did not answer her. She was not of the Fallen, and so he had no allegiance with her. However, he could sense that she possessed the ability to open digital portals. She might yet prove useful, he decided.
 
“Of course he does. One is for thinking, the other is for watching. He needs them to contain all of his knowledge.”
 
“Um…well…my name is Shuichon. Do you know a DigiGod that's really slow? We're looking for him.”
 
“When you are looking for something, it is best to search within the light. You can borrow ours.”
 
Kunemon suddenly lifted her head and spat forth a neon blue thread into the nearest tree. With a slight tug, something soft and white fell into Shuichon's arms.
 
“Culumon!” she cried happily. “So that's where you ran off to! Don't you know enough to leave a note?”
 
“We had need of his gift. He could not ignore the summon.”
 
“But how did he get here?”
 
“You should know. He came through your portal.”
 
“My…what?”
 
“I'll show you.” He took her hand and placed it on his chest.
 
She turned bright red. “Haven't you ever heard of personal space? I don't even know your name!” Her protests faded when she felt the odd pulsing beneath his shirt. “Hey…I think your tummy is sick.”
 
“That's not my tummy.”
 
Blinding pink light washed over them, and suddenly, there was no ground beneath them, only the wind howling in their ears.
 
He was vaguely aware of two small shapes just behind them: a black one, and a brown one. They did not concern him.
 
When the boy finally let go of her hand, Shuichon got a really good look at him. He seemed…different, somehow, and younger. Before, she'd thought he was his age, but he had to be at least a year behind her. Only it hadn't seemed that way less than a minute ago.
 
“Shouldn't you be at home?” she asked. “Someone's going to miss you soon.”
 
“I can't go home yet,” he said. “I need to find someone.”
 
“Well…at least call home first! So you won't get into too much trouble.”
 
“Maybe I'll see you around.” He turned and began to walk away.
 
“Wait!” she called. “What's your name?”
 
He paused, smiling back at her. “Masahiko. Bye, Shuichon.”
 
“Should we have left her?” Kunemon asked of her Tamer a moment later.
 
“We have work to do, Kunemon. Besides, she has two Digimon.”
 
“Maybe you should've asked if she knew where to find your sister.”
 
Masahiko shook his head. “Oneesan only hangs around people her age. Shuichon wouldn't know her.”
 
* * * * *
 
Jenrya and Holy Rapidmon said nothing as they stared at the ruins of what had once been their home.
 
Finally, Holy Rapidmon cleared his throat. “I'm sure Ruki got everyone out in time.”
 
Jenrya didn't seem to have heard him. “Jaarin and Rinchei always visit our grandparents around this time. Shuichon would normally go with them, but this time…she would've stayed.”
 
“Because she was worried about you?” Holy Rapidmon guessed.
 
“Or because she was angry at me,” Jenrya sighed.
 
“Hey, let's just check the D-Arc before we jump to any conclusions.”
 
“You're right.” Jenrya pulled out his D-Arc and frowned. “Weird. There's some kind of interference. All I can pick up is this big, black blip.”
 
“Well, I have an idea why. Look over there, Jen-kun.”
 
Jenrya gaped as he spotted an enormous black dome slowly rising above the tops of several buildings. “What is it?”
 
“I don't know, but I bet we're gonna have to find out.”
 
The D-Arc began to warble just as Jenrya was about to agree. He looked down to find another gold blip moving towards them rapidly. “Uh, Holy Rapidmon? I think we have company.”
 
They didn't have to wait long. Seconds later, a second golden-armored figure appeared before them.
 
“Magnamon,” Jenrya murmured. “Be careful. He's as strong as you are.”
 
“Yeah, but I've got you cheering me on. What's he got?”
 
Magnamon smirked, even as a stream of flame leapt from his left hand, bathing Holy Rapidmon in fire.
 
“Whoa! When did he learn that attack?!” Holy Rapidmon shouted in surprise as he backed up.
 
“I don't think that's a normal Magnamon!” Jenrya warned.
 
Magnamon raised his right hand, and a single bolt of blue lighting flew from it, slamming into Holy Rapidmon with jarring force.
 
“Okay, now you're just making it up as you go!” Holy Rapidmon complained, trying to get his bearings. “So once I stop seeing two of you, you'll be sorry!”
 
In reply, Magnamon clasped his hands together, and a long sword of swirling electricity and flame shot up between his fingers.
 
“…I don't suppose you're one of those Digimon that likes to talk out your differences, huh?”
 
* * * * *
 
Ruki clung to Renamon a little tighter as they flew through the darkness. She was not exactly afraid, but all the same, she didn't think letting go would be a good idea.
 
Perhaps having read her Tamer's thoughts, Renamon squeezed Ruki a bit. “I would never let you fall. We'll be there soon.”
 
Ruki nodded, knowing that through their telepathic link, Renamon would catch the sentiment at the very least. “So Takato and the others were okay when you left them?”
 
“We'd barely survived an attack from some more of Ryo's thugs. But they must have come out of it better than I did. Otherwise, Ryo would've concentrated all of his forces on your group, and I didn't see any Cyber Dramon around.”
 
“It is weird that he only sent V-mon, even if there were a ton of them,” Ruki noted.
 
“I'll be sure to claw the reason out of him the next time we meet,” Renamon replied with a rather nasty smile.
 
“Not if I get my hands on him first,” Ruki muttered. “Juri almost got her throat ripped out in his first attack. I owe him one.”
 
“Here we are.” Renamon reached out, and a portal of light opened up in front of them. She dove through headfirst, turning in midair and cradling Ruki to her as she landed lightly on the ground.
 
Ruki wasn't sure what bothered her more about the scene they'd landed in: that Alice was trying to take on both a Giga Dramon and a Mega Dramon, or that she was trying to do it with a single Death Meramon.
 
“Alice, you can't beat them alone!” Ruki called, already searching her deck for a suitable card.
 
The blond girl turned, her eyes widening as she spotted them. “Ruki! …Renamon…? You're alive?!”
 
Renamon nodded. “We can discuss it later, Alice. Where are Takato and Kenta?”
 
Alice gestured to the black dome surrounding them. “Out there. Ryo didn't want any interference. But how did you get in?”
 
“How, indeed,” Ryo muttered, looking more than a bit peeved. “Ruki-chan, you really shouldn't have come. I wanted to save you for last.”
 
“Save it, creep!” Ruki snapped. “Renamon!”
 
“I wouldn't do that, if I were you,” Ryo said quickly. “Alice has agreed to my terms. Should you interfere, well…I can't promise to follow the rules, either.”
 
“He's right,” Alice agreed, looking mournful. “I have to do this myself, Ruki. For myself. And for Pico.”
 
“And me, too!” chimed in another voice.
 
Ruki blinked slowly. “What was that?”
 
Alice turned, showing them the pink Pico Devimon in her arms. “My new Digimon. Pico…laid her, I guess. She just hatched a few minutes ago.”
 
“So why isn't she fighting, then?” Ruki asked, wincing as Death Meramon just barely avoided a wide slash from Mega Dramon's claws.
 
“Pico and I didn't want her to. She's too young, and she'd only get in the way.”
 
“I wouldn't!” the pink Pico Devimon insisted, pouting. “I can fight like Dad, too! I can help, Mom!”
 
“Well, he could use the help,” Renamon pointed out. “Very few Digimon could beat either of those dragons alone. But when they work together like they are, there's no way a single Perfect Digimon could beat them.”
 
As if to prove this, the two large dragons came together, aiming their metal claws side-by-side. “Double Genocide!” they both shouted, firing huge blasts that swirled around each other as they closed in on their target.
 
“An attack like that is nearly impossible to avoid,” Renamon murmured. “And considering the damage it would do to the surrounding area, it wouldn't matter if you dodged it, anyway.”
 
Sure enough, Death Meramon saw the futility in running, because he dropped to one knee and crossed his burly, chain-wrapped arms in front of his body, willing his bluish flame to extend as far as it could.
 
“If Pico can't avoid it, I'll make sure they don't, either!” Alice nearly dropped her pink Pico Devimon in her hurry to draw a card. “Card Slash! Mastery of Meramon!”
 
Death Meramon's flames rose higher, and three blue Meramon appeared, heading straight for the oncoming attack. The two forces collided with a terrific explosion, and both sides clearly took damage. Both Giga Dramon and Mega Dramon fell back, wincing slightly, while Death Meramon was tossed away like rag doll. Even Alice, though she'd been sure to keep clear of the battle, was forced to her knees as the powerful waves washed over her.
 
“Can she really do this, Renamon?” Ruki asked softly.
 
“I don't think she has a choice, Ruki,” Renamon replied. “If she doesn't win, she may lose both of her Digimon.”
 
Alice struggled to get to her feet, only to realize that her arms were empty. “Pinky, where'd you'd go?!”
 
“Over here, Mom! I got Dad for you!”
 
She turned to see Pinky slowly flying back, awkwardly clutching onto Pico's wings with her talons. “Oh, Pico,” Alice whispered, carefully taking him in her arms. “I should've known you couldn't do this alone.”
 
Pico coughed quietly. “Can do anything…if Alice wishes it,” he answered.
 
“Wish for me to fight, Mom!” Pinky cried at once. “I can help! Really!”
 
“What do you think, Pico?” Alice asked.
 
Pico sighed. “Child must learn. No time to teach. Child must learn the hard way.”
 
Pinky hopped excitedly on Alice's shoulder. “I promise I'll fight good, Mom! And I won't let Dad get his butt kicked again, either!”
 
Alice hesitantly looked at her D-Arc. “Be careful, both of you. I mean it.” She brought the D-Arc up to her face, closed her eyes and whispered, “I want my Digimon to be strong. Strong enough to win.” As if in response, the D-Arc began to whine shrilly, red letters flashing across the screen: Warp Digivolution.
 
* * * * *
 
Kazu poked at the two DigiEggs with a frown. “It's hard to believe these two little guys were Chaos Omegamon.”
 
“Yeah, well, believe it,” Beelzebumon snapped, glaring at them. “I didn't just imagine getting my butt kicked up and down the street.”
 
“All that matters is they're good now,” Juri pointed out, laying a warm blanket over the DigiEggs. “Maybe they can even help us fight later.”
 
“So you're not against Panjamon fighting now?” Kazu asked in surprise.
 
Juri bit her lip. “They took Shui-chan. How can I not let him fight to get her back?”
 
“They didn't `take' her,” Beelzebumon disagreed. “Do you realize how high that kid's voice is? No way someone woulda taken her without us hearin' her scream. She left on her own.”
 
Kazu nodded. “Besides, she had Lopmon and Pepper. They wouldn't just let someone grab her.”
 
Just then, Ruki's grandmother poked her head into the room. “Juri? I called your parents to let them know that you're here, and your father wants to talk to you.” She waved a cellular phone at the girl.
 
Juri made a face, but she quietly thanked the woman and stepped out to take the call in private. “Otousan?”
 
“I won't forgive you for this, Juri,” he choked out, his voice thick with emotion. “How could you?!”
 
“I…I'm sorry I didn't call, otousan. But my friends needed my help, and I had to come. My Digimon came back to life, and-”
 
“That's not what I mean and you know it!” he shouted into the phone.
 
Juri pulled the phone away from her ear, staring at it in confusion. “What…? You mean you're not angry that I didn't call? Then why…?”
 
“How could you drag your little brother into this, Juri?! He's just a child!”
 
Juri's heart skipped a beat. “Mahi-chan? What does he have to do with any of this?”
 
“Don't pretend you don't know! You took him with you, didn't you?! I can't believe you would endanger him this way, Juri!”
 
“I would never!” Juri cried, her voice approaching a shriek. “What are you talking about?! Mahi-chan isn't with me! He's at home!”
 
“No, he isn't,” her father replied coldly. “Juri, this isn't the time for games! Those…monsters are roaming the streets again, and we can't find him anywhere! Just tell me where Masahiko is right now!”
 
The phone slipped from her hand and clattered noisily to the floor. Even then, Juri could still hear her father's angry accusations, until Kazu ventured out into the hall and picked up the phone.
 
“What's the matter, Juri-chan?” he asked, giving her an odd look as he hung up the phone.
 
“My baby brother,” Juri whispered, tears filling her eyes. “He's missing.”
 
Kazu's eyes widened. “What?”
 
“First Shui-chan, and now Mahi-chan…” Juri sank to the floor and buried her face in her hands.
 
Kazu hesitantly touched her shoulder. “C'mon, Juri-chan, don't cry, please…” He desperately looked around for anyone else. With any luck, Ruki would pop back in soon, or maybe-
 
“Uh, Panjamon!” Kazu shouted. “Your Tamer needs you!”
 
Instead, it was Beelzebumon that appeared. He took one look at Juri in tears, and pinned Kazu with an accusing glare.
 
Kazu held up his hands in surrender. “Hey, I didn't do it! Her little brother went missing!”
 
Beelzebumon carefully helped Juri to her feet. “You okay, Juri?”
 
Instead of answering, Juri sobbed and buried her face in his jacket.
 
Kazu watched in a kind of fascinated horror as Beelzebumon awkwardly patted her head while still trying to look tough. He wisely decided to keep his comments to himself, especially when a cool rush of wind brushed his neck. He turned around and froze.
 
His Valkyrimon had just entered the house, and right behind him was Panjamon. Tucked under each of this arms were Lopmon and Pepper, and sitting on his shoulder was Shuichon.
 
“They were out wandering the streets,” Valkyrimon explained.
 
“We weren't!” Shuichon protested loudly. “We were…um…trying to remember where the house was…”
 
“I told them it was right where we left it!” Culumon chimed in, popping up from behind Shuichon.
 
Janyuu ran into the room a moment later. He snatched Shuichon from Panjamon's shoulder and hugged her tightly, burying his face in her neck. “Don't ever, EVER do that to me again!” he muttered.
 
Shuichon gave him a peck on the forehead. “Sorry, otousan. We got lo—I mean, we forgot where the house was. And we went back to the Digital World, and there was this boy with a bug and a two-headed turtle, and-”
 
“You saw Xuanwumon?” Kazu interrupted.
 
“…uh oh,” Shuichon murmured. “He WAS the turtle, wasn't he?”
 
Kazu smacked his own forehead. “Anyway, what about this boy?”
 
“He had a bug. And he said his name was…um…Lopmon?”
 
Lopmon sighed patiently. “Masahiko.”
 
Juri was on him in an instant. “What?! WHERE?!”
 
“Xuanwumon's realm,” Lopmon answered, a bit startled. “But then he brought us back here, and said he had to go find someone.”
 
“No,” Juri whispered, shaking her head. “He's out looking for me, I just know it! Oh, Mahi-chan, why didn't you wait for me at home?” Then she blinked. “…wait, how did he get to the Digital World?”
 
* * * * *
 
Jenrya was starting to understand why Holy Rapidmon wasn't exactly winning the fight. For one thing, if he remembered correctly, since they were both Armored Digimon, their power should've been roughly the same. But the Magnamon was much stronger than he should've been, and that was starting to become a trend with all of Jenrya's recent foes. A very annoying trend, to say the least.
 
Another thing was that their last fight had required Saint Galgomon, and logically, since things were getting tougher, they would at least need him for this fight as well. But Jenrya didn't want to risk his partner reverting to Terriermon, even for the limited time it would take to Bio-Merge. Magnamon had proven to be very fast, and Holy Rapidmon was only just managing to keep up with him as it was.
 
It would've all been so much simpler if Jenrya could've activated the Bio-Merge with Holy Rapidmon instead. And, suddenly, he wondered why he couldn't. They hadn't ever tried it that he could recall, and they were nothing else if not closer now. At any rate, he figured the worst that could happen was nothing at all. And since he wasn't enraged, he didn't think the chance of pulling a Megidramon was too likely.
 
Slowly, Jenrya raised his D-Arc. “Bio-Merge Activate!” A golden beam of light shot from the screen and snagged Holy Rapidmon's wings.
 
Holy Rapidmon spun around, guns at the ready. “Hey! What the--?! Jen-kun, how about some warning before you do that?! I almost blasted you!” he yelled as he was dragged away from his opponent.
 
“Then you'd better let ME handle the shooting, and you take care of everything else!” Jenrya replied.
 
“Are you implying that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn?”
 
“No, I'm SAYING that you'd hit everything surrounding the barn, too!”
 
“But I wouldn't miss, either!”
 
Jenrya smirked as he phased through Holy Rapidmon's armor. He could feel his partner's power pulsing all around him, and it honestly worried him that all of it hadn't been enough to defeat Magnamon. Where were the evil Digimon getting all this power?
 
It didn't matter just then, he decided. All that mattered was that they got past Magnamon and found Shuichon. For every challenger that blocked their path, they'd just get better. Really, what other choice was there?
 
“Hey, I'm all for saving her, too, Jen-kun, but it might help if you paid attention for a sec.”
 
Jenrya suddenly noticed that Magnamon was charging straight at them, his sword raised high. “Why didn't you say something earlier?!”
 
“I thought you might wanna shoot him, and that IS your department, right?” Terriermon teased.
 
“Fine! Time to show him the power of Golden Saint Galgomon! Midas Fist!”
 
Magnamon barely had time to gasp as the golden giant's fist plowed through his sword and into his face with a terrific crash. His head snapped sharply to the right, and he sank to his knees, dazed. When he finally managed to shake the stars away, he looked up to see a huge, golden foot speeding towards his head.
 
“Gee, that was kinda anticlimactic,” Terriermon complained a moment later. “He gives us all that trouble, then goes down in two hits?”
 
“They were good hits,” Jenrya reasoned. “Now, I think I should be in charge of flying, too.”
 
“No fair, Jen-kun! When have I crashed into anything?”
 
“Like I'm going to give you a chance to do it ever?!”
 
As Golden Saint Galgomon flew off with a loud roar, Magnamon struggled to stand. He'd only made it to one knee when he became aware of two people watching him.
 
The first was a small boy, but the other was a tall, thin woman with an alarming amount of reddish-brown hair flowing down her back. She wore dark shades, a black, form-fitting dress, and a matching hat that covered most of her face. Right away, there was something Magnamon didn't like about her, but he had no idea what.
 
“The Tamers are still showing the enemy mercy,” the boy observed in a voice that didn't at all suit his age. “That will be there downfall.” Then, in a softer tone, he added, “What should we do with him, Ne-san?”
 
“I know just the thing,” the woman replied as she stepped forward. She drew a single strand of hair from her head and held it before her face. At once, the strand stiffened into a straight line, and she flicked it away almost carelessly.
 
Magnamon hissed in pain as the strand pierced his armor and buried itself in his throat. He collapsed to the ground again, feeling his strength fading rapidly. He could hear the woman's footsteps as she came closer and rolled him onto his back. She stared down at him, her eyes hidden behind the shades as she leaned closer, almost as if she meant to kiss him.
 
She paused and looked over her shoulder. “Turn away, Masahiko,” she said to the boy. “I don't want you to see.”
 
“Yes, Ne-san,” he replied at once.
 
She looked back at Magnamon and smiled, leaning closer again. “Welcome to my parlor,” she whispered against his ear, and her face was the last thing he saw before the blackness took him.
 
* * * * *
 
Vamdemon's lips twisted into a confident smirk as he took to the air. He was starting to become very comfortable with this form. It suited him well, he decided, and apparently Alice thought so, too. He turned slightly, intending to flash her a thumbs up, or some other encouraging sign.
 
But that was when he realized that his child hadn't assumed a similar form.
 
Well, she HAD, but not the same form. This might've been because she was female, but then he'd never come across any obviously female Vamdemon (though more than a few were suspect).
 
She stood almost a head taller than him, wearing virtually the same cape with the high collar. Below that was a thin, glossy black suit of armor. The child tossed her head proudly, and golden hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall, almost reaching the backs of her knees. She noticed him staring and flashed him a sunny smile.
 
“What? It covers everything! Take it easy, Pops!”
 
Vamdemon's left eye twitched irritably. “You have much to learn, child.”
 
“Yeah? Well, maybe you'll learn something by watching me!” she replied, cracking her knuckles loudly. “Just stick with the Queen, Pops!” With no warning, she flew forward with great speed, leaving Vamdemon to catch up as best he could.
 
“I guess that makes her…Queen Vamdemon,” Alice murmured, checking her D-Arc. “But there's no data on her…”
 
“Uh oh. I think Alice just pulled a Takato and invented her own Digimon,” Ruki noted.
 
Renamon nodded. “Let's just hope she fares better than Guilmon did at first.”
 
“Ugh. Don't worry, Renamon. I'm sure no other Tamer could make THAT many mistakes.”
 
Giga Dramon chuckled. “The little pretties think they're a match for us, Mega Dramon. Should we teach them a lesson?”
 
“Yes, I think we should,” Mega Dramon answered. “After you, Giga Dramon.”
 
“You're too kind.” Giga Dramon surged forward to intercept the two Undead Digimon, a wicked grin on his face.
 
Queen Vamdemon easily dodged the first slash of Giga Dramon's claws, as well as tail, which soon followed. “Oooh, so close! I almost felt the breeze on that one!”
 
“Now is not the time for playing, child!” Vademon growled. A blood-red whip formed in his hand, and he snapped it around Giga Dramon's thick neck, trying to direct the dragon away from his child.
 
“Hey, back off, Pops! I had him right where I wanted him!”
 
“Not worry, my little pretty,” Mega Dramon said as he rose up behind her. “I'll play with you. Genocide Attack!” The huge ball of pulsing energy flew from his metal claw, quickly closing the distance between them.
 
Queen Vamdemon yawned and stretched before raising her right hand. “That all you got? Sinister Silver!”
 
The silver ring on her hand suddenly quintupled in size, taking the shape of a large, grinning skull. The jaw dropped open, and there was a loud rush of air as the skull devoured the energy ball in the space of a second.
 
“Now watch closely!” Queen Vamdemon giggled as a crimson light flashed within the skull's eye sockets. A moment later, two wide beams of silver erupted from the eyes, catching Mega Dramon under his enormous jaw and sending him hurtling to the ground.
 
Alice dared to let a hopeful smile cross her face. “Pinky, I'll never doubt you again…”
 
Queen Vamdemon stuck her tongue out at Mega Dramon's falling form, then turned to see Vamdemon struggling to muzzle Giga Dramon with his whip. “What, you're not done yet, Pops? What were you doing, taking a nap?! Here, let me help you before you embarrass us both.”
 
Vamdemon shot her a dark look and was about to argue, until Giga Dramon gave a particularly violent buck that almost sent him flying. “Fine! Just hurry it up!”
 
Instantly, a black sword appeared in her hand, and Queen Vamdemon plunged it into Giga Dramon's neck. “Data Blade Slash!”
 
The black dragon screeched in anger as it twisted away from them, writhing from the mortal wound. “Fools! Now you will be devoured by our true power!”
 
Alice's eyes widened as Mega Dramon shot up from the ground, making a beeline for Giga Dramon. “But how?! I thought we were done with him!”
 
The two dragons came together, allowing their serpentine bodies to intertwine. As one, they shouted, “Jogress Evolve!”
 
Ryo smirked. “Now we'll see how you deal with an Ultimate dragon. Say hello to Mugen Dramon!”
 
The massive metal dragon slowly took shape, flexing his steel claws as he stared down at his opponents. “Prepare for annihilation. Targets…locked. Booster Claw!”
 
“Look out!” Alice cried, even as Vamdemon and Queen Vamdemon vanished in one huge swipe from Mugen Dramon. Both Undead Digimon crashed into the ground, and neither looked as if they were in any condition to fight.
 
“Whoa…he's fast for a big guy,” Queen Vamdemon moaned. “REALLY fast.”
 
Vamdemon slowly made it to one knee. “Stand, child. We must defend Alice.”
 
“Sure…soon as I can feel my legs again…”
 
He frowned at her. “Stand. If I can rise, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to.”
 
She flicked her gaze over to him. “So are you admitting that I'm stronger than you?”
 
“If you are, then act like it,” he challenged.
 
Wincing, Queen Vamdemon sat up slowly. “Ouch. Somehow, this was a lot more fun when we were winning.”
 
“We have not lost,” Vamdemon pointed out, although he didn't look so confident as he stared up at Mugen Dramon.
 
“Maybe not, but I say we do what he did, and maybe then it won't seem so one-sided.”
 
Vamdemon shook his head. “No, child. We cannot win that way.”
 
“Well, we can't win THIS way, either!”
 
He turned, a bit surprised to see his child on her feet again. “You are young. You don't know-”
 
“I know I didn't need help against my dragon! Maybe you should start listening to me, instead of trying to boss me around! Just because you're my father doesn't mean you know what's best for me!”
 
Something like pain flashed across his face, but it was gone in an instant. “Foolish child. You do not know what you say.”
 
“Oh, yeah? I bet you're just mad because I can do a better job of protecting Mom than you EVER could!”
 
Alice wasn't sure what surprised her more, the look of absolute hatred that passed over Vamdemon's face, or the resounding crack that echoed through the dome as he slapped Queen Vamdemon, sending her stumbling to her knees. At the moment, Alice couldn't decide who was in the right. But something told her things were about to get a whole lot worse.
 
Queen Vamdemon slowly lifted her head, fingering her glowing cheek as her eyes grew damp. “You…hit me,” she whispered in disbelief, raising her gaze to his. “NO ONE HITS ME!!!” She instantly crossed the distance between them and drove her ring hand into the side of Vamdemon's jaw.
 
Had the attack ended there, Vamdemon might've had time to prepare himself. But suddenly, his child was upon him again, striking every inch that her hands could reach. It was all he could do to stay upright, so great was the force of her blows.
 
“Stop it!” Alice shouted desperately. “Can't you see Mugen Dramon is going to destroy you both?!”
 
At that, at least, Queen Vamdemon paused long enough to glance upward. She could hear a rising, ominous hum that could only be Mugen Dramon's oversized, shoulder-mounted cannons charging up. Her angry gaze moved back to her father. “Join with me,” she said in a low, stern voice. “Or I'll pick up where I left off.”
 
Vamdemon stared at her with obvious reluctance. “This is wrong, child. We cannot-”
 
Queen Vamdemon drew her sword and pressed the tip against his shoulder. “I won't ask again, Pops.”
 
He looked from the cold steel of the sword to the fierce, unwavering intensity in her eyes. Then his eyes flicked beyond her to Alice, who was staring at them in a horrible combination of fear and uncertainty. And even though he knew that was largely his child's fault, Vamdemon couldn't help but feel it was also directed at him. There had been times when Alice hadn't had faith in him, but he had proved himself to her each and every time. And now, just when she was starting to believe in him, his next action would test the little faith she did have in him.
 
But he could not forget the responsibility he had to his child, as well. If did not correct this unruly behavior, her foolish courage would eventually get him deleted. And if there was one thing he couldn't do, it was leaving Alice's safety in the hands of someone inexperienced. If his child were ever going to learn what it meant to earn and treasure a Tamer's trust, it would have to be now.
 
“I will join with you, child. But know that this is last time you threaten me, doubt my ability to protect Alice, and put either of us in harm's way.”
 
Wisely enough, Queen Vamdemon didn't comment. Instead, she stretched out her free hand, and was more than a little surprised when he grabbed it at once, completing the necessary link. The look on his face, however, was one of frustration and, oddly enough, sadness.
 
“Jogress Evolve,” they said as one.
 
* * * * *
 
Masahiko hadn't really wanted to steal the motorcycle. Taking things that weren't yours was wrong. His mother had told him so.
 
“It wouldn't be practical for me to carry you, or for you to walk,” Ne-san had pointed out. “Either of us being tired endangers us both, you know. And that is something I cannot allow. Taking this bike will keep us both safe, Masahiko.”
 
“Are you sure we have to take it?” the boy had asked uncertainly. “I'm not supposed to be bad…”
 
“You're not being bad, I am,” she'd said reasonably enough. “Anyway, you asked me to find Juri, because she might be in trouble. The bike will help us find her faster.”
 
He hadn't been able to argue with that. To make him feel better, though, Ne-san had also taken a small helmet for him to wear. Normally, he might've pointed out that taking two things was even worse than just taking one, but in the interest of saving time and showing his appreciation, he'd kept quiet.
 
The bike was noisy, and fast, and ultimately a very scary experience. Masahiko had clung to Ne-san's waist the whole time, his face buried in the soft curtain of her reddish-brown hair. She smelled a bit like Juri did, so that was nice enough to take his mind off of the bike.
 
Ne-san had only stopped for food and bathroom breaks, and then only for him. He'd tried suggesting that they stop for her, so that she could take care of “women things,” but she had only smiled and said, “I'm fine if you are, Masahiko.” It was statements like that that reminded Masahiko that while Ne-san looked and acted very much like a person, she was still at least partly a Digimon. Perhaps that was why she put his needs ahead of her own. But so far, all she'd really needed to do was to keep him safe.
 
That hadn't really stuck out in his mind, until he suddenly realized why it mattered to him at all. Ne-san was getting more and more like Juri by the second.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: A Lesson for Child
 
Alice and her Digimon learn a valuable lesson about Jogress Evolution, Ryo is inspired, and Black Guilmon grows up.
 
Digidex:
Kunemon: First seen in that nearly all-insect Digimon episode of 02. The digital version of a Weedle, I think. (If you know your evolution lines, you can figure out who Ne-san is)
Triad Magnamon (made him myself): The powers of Raidramon and Flamedramon are hidden within his golden armor.
Death/Skull Meramon: Basically, a blue Meramon in a hockey mask with chains on his arms. Oh, and skin…which is weird for a Meramon, I have to say.
Giga Dramon: Part dragon, part machine, all destruction. A member of Mugen Dramon's Metal Empire.
Mega Dramon: Not to be confused with Megidramon, but they DO look a bit alike.
Golden Saint Galgomon (made him…I think): Holy Rapidmon's evolution, a golden giant that specializes in finishing blows and trampling foes. I say he's mine because I've never seen him anywhere, and at the very least I made up his attacks (Midas Fist & Shining Revelation).
Queen Vamdemon (made her myself): A dark battle queen that enjoys beating foes with their own attacks.
Mugen Dramon: The Dark Master of the machine city in 01. I think he should've been the leader…
 
Mastery of Meramon: Any Digimon with Meramon in its name triples its attack for one turn.
 
 
I actually don't think Shuichon and Masahiko would've ever met. I got the impression that Juri never took her friends home with her, perhaps because she wasn't completely comfortable with her stepmother. (there's a scene where the Reaper version of Juri mentions not liking her stepmother, and she was drawing from Juri's memories).
 
Giga Dramon's best attack is Genocide Gear, Mega Dramon's is Genocide Attack. They do work well together (as proved in 01), so I thought I'd give them an additional team attack.
 
Masahiko calling his female companion “Ne-san” is partially due to that being a portion of her name, and partially due to “oneesan,” meaning older sister. You'll learn her proper name soon, if you haven't guessed it already. Here's a big hint: the attack she used on Triad Magnamon is known as Spirit Needle in the US.