Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Complications ❯ R-E-S-P-E-C-T ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:

Gah. Is this getting repetitive to anyone else? Not mine.

Warnings:

No E.T.A. for the next chapter. And we're taking a small break from the humor. Angst ahoy!

Author's Notes:

*Updated*: 10-01-04 to insert a scene

Enjoy!

Captive Complications


by Ice'is Blue




10. R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Koushiro watched, horrified, as the King's hand made a distinct dive beneath the hem of Taichi's dress. "Silly, I'm trying to get into your skirt," Yamato's voice husked. The knight bit his lip as his Prince made a sputtering, fizzing noise like a teakettle.

Outraged, Taichi ripped himself out of Yamato's grasp and began to stalk off into the night. With every step away from the vile man, he felt freer, less disgusted with himself for tolerating such ill-mannered behavior. He was liberated.

Unfortunately, he was also soon liberated of his footing when his step came down upon the hem of the ballgown and he consequently face-planted into the ground. No one spoke, no one moved. Not even that damn, smiling King. Fine. That suited Taichi just fine. He hadn't been expecting any sympathy. His hands stung as he pushed away from the ground.

As Taichi lay motionless upon the forest floor, Daisuke debated whether or not to intervene. Judging from the reactions of the other two men, the Prince would best be left to calm himself alone. At least for a little while. He would be safe enough as long as he didn't travel too far away. Daisuke remained silent as Taichi picked himself up and resumed his huff off into the thickening trees.

Koushiro felt the nymph's restraining hand as he tried to rise and follow after his Prince.

"He'll be safe," Daisuke said softly. "Let him be for a moment." The knight didn't pull from his grasp and the King finally sat back down after a long, thoughtful glance at the gap in the trees. The corners of the nymph's mouth twitched up in a smile and he held back a small sigh of relief. They trusted him. That was good. But before he could fully relax the knight tensed beneath his fingers.

Koushiro glared at the King. The hormone-laden King was treating his Prince like a toy to be tormented and abused. And it was going to stop.

Yamato shifted uncomfortably under the knight's dark stare. He just knew the short man was devising numerous plots to cause him pain and bodily harm. Meanwhile, the nymph was watching him expectantly, waiting. The King wasn't sure what sort of insects were chirping, but the crik-crik neatly filled the silence left in the Prince's wake. Taichi had actually seemed angry... and that was even before he had fallen flat on his face.

He shifted again in his seat before clearing his throat. "I'll... I'd better go after him."

Koushiro shook off the nymph's hand and leapt to his feet. "Absolutely not! You've caused enough trouble, Your Highness. Taichi is my friend, not yours. And that's the way it's going to stay. I'm going after him and when we come back, you're only going to speak to him when absolutely necessary."

Yamato blinked. Taichi's vertically challenged knight was trying to tell him what to do. He would have been angry, if it weren't so funny. He cast an amused look at the nymph, then set his trademark smirk upon Sir Koushiro. "Judging from your... liberal... use of verbal emphasis, would I be correct in saying that you feel strongly about this?" Yamato wasn't sure, because the sounds were soft and low, but the knight just might be snarling now.

Daisuke, being closer, could hear clearly the almost inhuman growl coming from deep within the knight's throat. He wrapped a gentle, restraining arm around the knight's middle, then pulled the man into his lap.

Yamato watched as the nymph soothed Koushiro with feather-light caresses to his arms, cheeks, and hair. Daisuke's words, spoken too quietly for him to understand, made the King curious. Was that love in their eyes? How had the stuffy little knight managed to snag the sex-exuding nymph? And how, in turn, was the nymph able to temper the knight's fiery tongue?

"Koushiro," the nymph breathed into the knight's ear. "I understand your feelings, but there is still the dire matter of the forest's prosperity. In order for things to turn out well for both kingdoms, King Yamato and Prince Taichi must settle their differences. Please... allow the King to make his amends." He pressed a kiss to the delicate skin beneath Koushiro's lobe before the knight had the chance to speak. "Please? I would not ask this of you if it were not of the utmost importance."

Oh. Right there. That felt good. Koushiro bit back what he was going to say, bit back what almost became a very embarrassing moan, and heaved a sigh instead. The nymph was way too distracting to maintain a proper grudge. Daisuke cuddled him closer and Koushiro felt himself grow calm. "Right," he managed to say. But shouldn't he still be mad?

"It would be fitting to allow the King to make his apologies," Daisuke coaxed.

Wow. Yamato was impressed. The nymph was good at what he did. Maybe he would let himself be hired for the annual Regent's Ball that was coming up. People's conflicting tempers had resulted in bloodshed in four out of the last five balls... and that one-time reprieve was only because the attendants had been too inebriated to cause each other physical harm.

Koushiro glared at Yamato, judging how long it might take him to concoct a scathing report and send it out among the traveling minstrels. No one talked to Taichi like that. He... The protective urge in him settled as the King sobered under the weight of his stare. Koushiro flicked a glance at the nymph and decided to trust the fey's judgement. He nodded to the King. "Taichi deserves better -- your respect, your consideration of his feelings. Make things right."

The King bowed to them both. "You have my thanks, Sir Koushiro. I will treat him properly this time."

The knight tried and failed to detect any hints of insincerity or innuendo. The King was serious, for once. "Good," he grunted.

Yamato nodded his thanks to the nymph, who remained more or less wrapped around the knight. He then set off in the direction Taichi had headed, grabbing up a blanket and wrapping it loosely about his shoulders like a cloak as he left the campsite.

***


Daisuke held the still-fuming Koushiro until the sight of the King's back was lost to the forest, then he loosened his grip -- not fully drawing away, but allowing the knight to escape if he so desired. His sense of sexual energy signaled him the moment the genius' mind switched from the two royals to the more pressing, immediate situation. The knight squirmed.

"I'm okay. You can let me go now."

The nymph smiled. Koushiro was free to move if he chose, but so far, his struggles were half-hearted at best. The knight was displaying signs of desire, discomfort, and was that... shame? For a moment, Daisuke thought that Koushiro might just relax and let himself be comforted, but the small man gathered his strength and broke free. He went to go sit on the opposite side of the fire. Daisuke did not follow, though he watched the human closely.

Koushiro sat sullenly on the moss-covered turf. His conscience pricked at him. You touched him intimately without his permission. Only the worst of cads does that. He could feel the nymph watching him through the flame, but the expression gracing the delicate features was unreadable. Normally Koushiro would avoid all conversation topics that could prove embarassing, but he had to say something. Honor required it.

"I apologize for my behavior earlier."

Daisuke could guess, since the knight was obviously feeling embarassed as well as guilty, what Koushiro was referring to, but it really wasn't a large matter to him so he purposefully misunderstood. "It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I think Taichi and Yamato will understand your concern for the Prince."

Koushiro lowered his head along with his voice. "I meant about the ears. I didn't mean to force myself upon you. I'm sorry." The forest suddenly seemed very large and dark. He huddled his arms closer about his knees.

"Sir Koushiro?" Dark eyes slowly lifted, then fell, unable to maintain contact. Daisuke's heart ached. "Koushiro, please don't feel badly for saving my life. I do not know this for certain, but I assume it was you who thought to place me next to a tree?" If he hadn't been looking for it, he would have missed the minute nod. "That action allowed me to recover most of my strength. However, I am more unique than a normal wood nymph, and as such, my energy requirements are dual. Yes, I must remain close to my tree, but I also require energy from a physical, more intimate, contact. If you had merely sat and watched me, I would not have awakened."

The knight's eyes widened. Daisuke smiled gently in understanding. He hadn't been in quite as much danger as he was presenting... he had friends who checked in on him who would have known how to wake him. Or Vii could have gone for help. Daisuke looked up, searching the darkness above. Earlier, he had only seen the briefest flash of blue among the trees, but it was enough to know that his oldest friend was keeping a distant watch over him.

The knight was struggling with the nymph's words. "If I hadn't... you would have died?"

Koushiro was looking distraught. Daisuke tried to be comforting, but the words he spoke weren't as fitting as crossing the space the knight maintained and hugging the man would have been. "I would have lived," he said gently. "There are those who look out for me." He couldn't help once again glancing up into the overhanging branches. "But because I received what was required so soon, I was able to recover more quickly. And..." Daisuke suspected this was the main issue, "Having it be you who has aided me was not unpleasant. In fact, it pleased me greatly."

The breath caught in Koushiro's throat. How had the nymph known?

"My only regret is that in the first union between us, I was not awake to fully appreciate your skills."

The knight blushed furiously, then felt his body tense as the nymph stood and sat back down less than an arm's length away. Daisuke caught up his hand and brought it to his lips.

"Thank you for saving me, my good knight."

Koushiro squirmed and fidgeted. "You don't have to thank me," he said, his voice coming out more gruffly than he intended.

Daisuke smiled. "How about we call it even, then?" he asked, using his thumb to stroke soothingly against the knight's hand.

Koushiro reminded himself to breathe. "S-Sure."

"And now maybe we can get to know each other better?"

"U-Uhuam... uh... vuuf... whaa..." Doing marginally better than his mouth, his brain managed to formulate a single intelligible word. Help! Daisuke was still holding Koushiro's hand and making it completely impossible to think properly. "D-Do you mean like holding hands and kissing and stuff?" Would he like that? Judging from his current reaction, Koushiro would like that very much, but Daisuke seemed so sure of himself...

"Whatever you feel comfortable with."

Time. Time would be good. He could gather his nerve, feel more in control. The nymph was obviously very knowledgeable in matters such as these, and what did Koushiro know? What did he have to offer? He needed time. "Can I think about it?"

"Of course," Daisuke answered smoothly.

The nymph kissed the knight's hand once more, then released it. He smiled. Gotcha.

***


Yamato found the Prince propped in a sulking position beneath the tree where they had napped earlier. Taichi's gaze lifted at his approach, but then lowered to resume studying the patchwork of leaves upon the ground.

"So, uh, you're mad at me?"

". . . "

It was hard ignoring the King, but Taichi set his shoulders and his frown, then set about reminding himself of why he had every right to be upset and remain that way indefinitely.

He tried to kidnap Hikari. I have grounds for wiping him off the face of the planet just for that, but his men took me instead. I don't care if I was wearing a dress, with the way I was yelling, they should have known better. I don't yell like a girl. He must have ordered them to take me... all so he could try to eat me up like a piece of meat. And then he has the nerve to sweet-talk me into playing as his 'captive'. I'm a Prince. I have responsibilities! Even though he doesn't, other people value my thoughts and feelings. I'm important. I'm not some peasant to be dazzled by a flash of jewels, a pretty smile, and that gorgeous hair!

Taichi let out a small gust of air. Damn. Staying mad at Yamato would be so much easier if I didn't like him. He hasn't earned it. All he does is look amazing and make me laugh every once in a while. What he does is nothing special, but somehow he is. I can't explain it.

Still, he shouldn't have said what de did to me. Maybe it was a joke, but I deserve better than cliched come-ons.

Taichi still wasn't speaking. Check. He's mad, Yamato thought. Maybe if I use humor? He put on a winning smile. "So, I don't suppose pigtails would make it up to you?"

At first Yamato thought that Taichi's eyes were brightening with suppressed mirth, then he saw beneath it to the anger.

"You really don't get it, do you?" the Prince asked, voice surprisingly soft. "If you're trying to apologize, just say it -- no jokes, no tricks, just mean it. Make me believe." His smile twisted. "Or are you incapable of having honestly pure feelings?"

A shock ran through Yamato's body. He felt Taichi's brown eyes boring into him, making him feel like scum. "I- I..." He needed to remember to breathe. He could do this. And suddenly, it was important that he succeed in making Taichi not angry with him. "You're right. You're right and I was wrong. I apologize. I'm sorry, Prince Taichi." The words faded off on the air, but they seemed to have made no impact upon Taichi's mood.

The brunet turned his head slowly from side to side and spoke, his voice low and even, "That's hardly enough. Sorry for what?"

Uhhh... For what? For what? For what? Uhhh... Koushiro's angry words popped into his mind. It appeared he owed the uppity knight something after all. "I'm sorry that I did not treat you with more respect. Although my words were spoken in jest, I should have considered your feelings." There. That sounded formally sincere. He checked if Taichi was taking it.

The King's speech was very pretty, too pretty, almost. "But you did think about how I'd feel. You made the choice to tease me. You wanted to make me upset."

Yamato opened his mouth, but no sound came out. His teeth closed with a click.

Taichi was right. Not in a I'm-going-to-agree-with-you-just-so-you'll-like-me sort of right, but in the sense that on the moral playing field, Taichi was the one standing on the high-ground.

Probably.

Was it bad to love watching brown eyes spark? To relish the thrill that came at every touch made in both innocence and lust? To enjoy feeling the rush of provoking a person he knew was capable of putting him in his place? To savor the care he knew Taichi had to hold?

Because why else would the brunet put up with Yamato's bad behavior? Any other person with the same capabilities as Taichi would have murdered him by now, would have gotten away, said 'no' more firmly, done something. It had to be love. Yet... now... Taichi wasn't putting up with it. He was saying 'no.' When had Yamato's actions changed from being an endearing, if admittedly annoying, quirk to something that was grounds for their never speaking again?

Maybe it wasn't love. If it was, wouldn't Taichi understand and accept his need to tease and harass?

The King bit down on his cheek. It hurt, but not nearly as much as the storm of emotions brewing inside of him. Taichi was waiting, giving him a chance to speak. But the more he grasped for things to say, the more inadequate they sounded in his mind, the more he just wanted to crawl to the man's feet and offer himself up to the Prince's mercy. But mercy and forgiveness were not being offered. Taichi wanted him to change.

Right now, Yamato couldn't even bring himself to physically move, let alone attempt to alter deep-seated patterns of personal interactions. And he still couldn't move when Taichi gave him one last loathing look and turned away.

Taichi pulled himself into a tighter ball. This was it, then. Yamato doesn't care. He tucked his chin lower and tried to pretend he was anywhere other than in the middle of a dark forest, slightly cold, rather hungry, and being held captive indefinitely by the biggest jerk in the Ten Kingdoms. It wasn't wrong to not want to be treated like a piece of meat being dangled over a voracious, horny dog.

Yamato closed his eyes. Taichi was shivering. Yamato took the blanket from around his neck and held it in his hand. He could go over, rest it warmly around the Prince's shoulders, run a soothing hand along spine and arms. He could whisper that he was sorry. It would be a start, a beginning.

He still couldn't move.

There wasn't a spell restricting his movement. No, he could feel something broken inside him. He couldn't think of how to fix himself, so he just stood there and watched as Taichi huddled in the cold.

. . .

"Hey!"

The snap in Koushiro's voice, as he and the nymph arrived at the edge of an apparently unsuccessful reconciliation, jolted both of the royals.

Taichi unhunched immediately, and surveyed the newcomers with a wary eye. No matter how much he wanted to go back to the warmth of the campfire, he didn't want to return if the King was going to be there to harass him. He had to make a stand... even if he froze while doing it.

Yamato, on the other hand, jumped at the sudden sound, then resumed his unmoving state, one fist clenched at his side while the other held the blanket in a death-grip.

"Is everything all right?"

Taichi didn't know how to answer his friend. He looked over at Yamato, but the blond's head was turned away. No one spoke.

Daisuke stepped even with the knight's elbow and surveyed the scene. The pair definitely required assistance. He hoped this wouldn't get himself killed. "Koushiro and I were enjoying dinner when we realized that any making up between the two of you would have been conducted at a significantly higher volume. In situations like this, I would normally allow you to fix this on your own, but we are operating under critical time constraints. King Yamato, please forgive me."

Gasping as a cloaked figure suddenly appeared in front of him, Yamato couldn't avoid inhaling the shimmery pink dust that poofed into his face. His heart rate increased and he felt a flush building over his entire body. And an ache. Oh, how it ached, and he needed... What's happening to me?

The nymph's voice rang loud: "Be nice. Follow Taichi's orders and make him happy."

A pink haze settled over Yamato's vision and he began to move.

***


TBC...