Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake ❯ Part 3 - Together Again? ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake
Part 3 - Together Again?
 
By Robster80 (R80)
Co-Written by TheUNB
 
WARNING: This story is for 18 or older readers! There's foul language, and sexual content. The latter won't be in every chapter, but there will be in a few of them. If you are under 18, PLEASE stop reading right now and turn back!
You have been warned.
 
DISCALIMER: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT own any of the characters in this story! This is FANFICTION, so this is written for fun, not profit! I don't even own the songs or the matching lyrics to said songs used as chapter breaks
 
Previously - After a bitter break-up caused by Kari's cheating on him, TK soon moved away from Odaiba and Kari; the two separately vowed to never love again, TK to avoid having his heart broken again, and Kari as a form of self-punishment for what she had done. Time passed on and both had gone on to attend college, neither realizing how close they actually were - they were at the same campus and even lived in the same apartment housing near their school. After each spent a Saturday free from schoolwork, missing each other completely while out and about, their paths eventually led them to the White Cat club, a respectable gentleman's club where Kari works as a part-time bartender while the club is owned by TK's familial friend Robin Nico. Assigned to write a non-biased article on the White Cat by his boss, TK's first interview was supposed to be with Kou Uramecha of the club's security; however, having long befriended Kari and knowing of her past, Kou quickly found and brought Kari to TK for an unexpected yet far overdue reunion…
 
“I wish I could just make you turn around - turn around and see me cry! There's so much I need to say to you - so many reasons why…” Lyrics from “Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)” by Phil Collins
 
Robin and Kou kept silent, watching TK and Kari as they continued to stare at each other in disbelief that they had met again after what seemed like decades. It was almost like watching the characters Danny and Sandy from Grease meeting again suddenly at the same high school… only Danny and Sandy had MUCH more dialogue and action.
 
TK dared to speak first, questioning the reality before him. “...Kari?”
 
In turn, Kari formed a small, sad smile on her lips. “...Hello, TK…”
 
~They know each other?!~ Robin thought, surprised one of her employees knew the son of her best friend. She opened her mouth to speak but Kou suddenly cleared his throat.
 
“Boss,” he said, “maybe we'd better leave them alone for a moment.” He looked at TK. “That okay with you?”
 
“Uh, sure-.”

“Yes, please,” Kari said, almost pleading. TK was here, he was right in front of her, and she'd be damned if she let him go before she could talk to him. She stepped fully into the room while Robin carefully moved to pass her and step out into the hallway.
 
Soon as Kou closed the door for the two, Robin gripped his shoulder and made him face her. “Okay,” she said quietly after she made him step away from the door to talk to him. “Spill-.”
 
“They know each other from years back,” Kou blurted out, his voice low enough that hopefully TK wouldn't hear through the door. “They were lovers - boyfriend and girlfriend… and before that they were best friends. All I'll say next is that they had a rough break-up and this is the first time they've seen each other since then, and the Gods as my witness, Kari NEEDS this; she needs to talk to him and try to make amends… anything else can be explained later, and from those two themselves as it's their story.”
 
“...Does his mother know-?”
 
“How should I know that, I never met the lady. Hell, I never met him until a few minutes ago. ...Look, Robin, ma'am… Kari's been carrying this weight ever since he left her and Odaiba years ago, and lately it's come back to haunt her.” Kou looked back at the door. “From here on, it's either she gets proper closure and she can move on… or she gets back something dear she lost. I won't let anyone or anything fuck it up now.”
 
Inside the office, TK and Kari continued to look at each other, not saying anything… the silence seemed to thicken within the confined space with each second passing by. Kari's heart raced, so many emotions/feelings flooding her core; fear, anxiety, mild relief… it all threatened to close her throat so she couldn't breathe let alone speak. Then, as TK took a step forward, whether to move towards her or to make for the door, Kari mentally screamed…
 
~IT'S NOW OR NEVER SO TELL HIM!!~
 
TK almost jumped when Kari suddenly dropped down to the floor, on hands and knees and head bowed - the position of shame and begging. “I'M SORRY!” she shouted, unknowingly making Kou and Robin jump as her shout was loud enough it reached them outside the room. She kept on speaking but continued to bow her head, unable to look at him as her eyes were shut tight. Tears welled up beneath her eyelids until they squeezed out through the corners, some running along her face and some dripping to the carpeted floor.
 
“I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, TK! I know I hurt you! I hurt you worse than anyone or anything in your life, I know that! You had every right to dump me, to forsake me since you were faithful to me and I was a cheating slut! But I meant it when I said I never, ever intended to hurt you… I meant it when I said I couldn't stand keeping my sins from you after you stood up to Sora and Mimi when they wanted to seduce you to have a damn threesome! You were the better person in our relationship all along, from the moment you tried to stop me and Miyako from-! I didn't deserve to be your girlfriend, or even your best friend! Not when I… not when I… I…”
 
As she spoke, she didn't notice TK moved closer to her. She didn't see or hear him stop just in front of her or kneel down… When she felt something touching her lower face, she stopped talking as her head tilted upward. As tears slowly left her eyes and unclouded her vision, she could see TK looking at her…
 
And he was giving her a half-smile.
 
“You look great,” he finally said, no hint of anger or disgust or any negative emotion in his tone. He then said, softly, “It's been a long time, Kari…”
 
She could barely believe it… he was… he was civil to her, almost… warm, familiar like seeing an old acquaintance after years of separation. “...I thought,” Kari then managed, “I expected you to… to not be this nice…”
 
TK's smile lessened. “Would you rather that… than-?”
 
“N-no, no… just… not what I expected from you… not after…”

“Yeah. Well… as I said, it's been a long time.”
 
And Kari couldn't help herself - she grabbed TK and hugged him tightly. New tears came through her closed eyes, recalling how she futilely chased after his mother's car the day they moved from Odaiba. “...I've missed you so much,” she said, her voice cracking. And to her relief, she felt his arms go around her and return the hug… and felt his tears on her shoulder.
 
“I've missed you, too, Hikari… no matter how hard I tried to deny it since then.”
 
The two of them remained thus - kneeling and hugging as if letting go meant losing each other forever. Finally, Kari gathered her courage anew, and gently pulled back to look TK in the eye. “TK, I have absolutely no right to ask you this… but… but can we start over again? Start from the beginning? Not as lovers, but before all that... When we were friends…”
 
“...Let's talk first,” TK suggested gently, “I think we should catch up with each other first… from there… we'll see.”
 
Kari slowly smiled; it was a start at least, and from the way TK sounded, it seemed there was hope of reconciling. And Kari would hold onto that hope like a lifeline. “Okay…”
 
They got up from the floor and TK helped Kari over to the chairs before they each sat down. “So,” TK started, and then he noticed for the first time Kari's attire. “What's with that get-up?”
 
“Hmmm? Oh… I work here part-time as a bartender. It's not as lucrative as waitressing or dancing on the stage, but the pay's pretty good.”
 
“So you don't perform-?”
 
Shaking her head, Kari stated “My wild days are long, long dead. If I undress for any reason it's to change clothes or take a bath or shower, and it's all in private.”
 
“Fair enough.”
 
Outside the office, Kou checked his watch again. “Well, it's been about two minutes… and he hasn't stormed out of there. I think it's safe that TK and Kari are… well, at least civil.” Kou then noticed Robin had her cell in hand. “Uh, what are you doing?”
 
“I've decided to call Natsuko.”
 
“TK's mom?” Kou snatched the phone from Robin's hand. “Ohhhhh no! Not just yet. First we wait.”
 
“But I want to know the full story-.”
 
“We. Wait. Boss.”
 
“...I hate you sometimes, you know that?”
 
“Yes, I know. But try finding another bouncer like me.”
 
Robin facepalmed, knowing Kou was right about that remark at least.
 
“So does anybody else know you're in Japan again?” Kari asked.
 
“My brother and dad, Mimi, your brother as of earlier today when he messaged me via Skype, and by now I'm sure Sora knows. I did email Jyou and Izzy but they never replied. I guess they're busy with their own things. As for Daisuke and the rest…” TK shook his head.
 
“How long have you been back?”
 
“Over a year and a half. Mom got transferred from Seattle to Shinjuku but luckily I finished high school first. Now I'm attending the college nearby-.”
 
“So am I. ...You never saw me around campus?”
 
“Honestly, no.”
 
“And I never-.” Kari lightly slapped her forehead. “How the heck did we miss each other all this time?”
 
“It's a big campus? But you're right, we would have at least seen each other in passing somehow. Anyway, you're studying-?”
 
“Teaching, with photography as a secondary major. You?”
 
TK shrugged. “Blame my mother - I got the writer's bug. But as a secondary I want to make my own video games.”
 
“Oh, like Nintendo or Sony?”
 
“Er, Microsoft… during my living in America I got addicted to their Xbox consoles. Some of their games I like are exclusives for Xbox.”
 
“I see. So… were video games… therapy?”
 
TK smiled. “Actually, mom made me take piano lessons for therapy. Plus she bribed me - if I did the lessons for the full six weeks, she'd buy me an Xbox. I learned from-. Wait, I'll show you his picture.” TK then took out his wallet and opened it, but accidentally did it upside down. A small picture fell out of it. “Whoops!”
 
Kari reached down and snatched the picture before TK could try to grab it. Before she could hand it back, though, she caught a good look at it, and realized it was a picture of her from sometime before the break-up. In fact… “This is… from our last date…”
 
She remembered it well - it was after they defeated that new villain once and for all, and even though the Chosen kids wanted to celebrate with one big party, TK only wanted to spend time with his best friend and girlfriend alone, just the two of them. They spent a whole day together, just going around Odaiba, with lunch and dinner, some selfie and snapshot fun, and a movie before the end was an evening stroll along the beach, the two of them walking hand in hand the whole time. It had been one of the best days of Kari's life, and she knew TK felt the same. They didn't have sex, no - the notion never came up and the closest they got to sex was the goodnight kiss in front of Kari's apartment that seemed to last a lifetime. In fact, after that kiss she briefly forgot about Miyako, the threesome the two girls had with Iori, and even the flings with Tai and Sora… until the next morning, and the guilt began to grow...
 
“Somehow,” TK then said, “despite how… furious I was, I just… I couldn't let that one good memory go.”
 
Without a word, Kari took out her own wallet and rummaged through a pocket before she took out a laminated picture she showed to TK - it was one of him from that same date, a big goofy smile on his face with his eyes closed. She smiled sadly at him as she handed his picture of her back to him. “Aren't we a pair.”
 
“...Yeah, we are, aren't we? So yes, Kari… I'd love to start from the beginning with you. And from there… well… let's give it some time. ...Uh, unless you have someone-.”
 
“Me? Are you kidding? After what I did to you and hearing about your promise, I made the same vow to stay single. Guys have tried, and they all never gave me a reason to let go of that promise. So far only one's proving persistent but he's not my type anyway. As for girls… after Miyako went fully with Ken, and then you left, I lost all interest in being bi. Sometimes… I wonder if that… that bastard did something to us when he first handed us our collective asses, and when he was gone it started to wear off.”
 
“Maybe, but we'll never really know for sure.”
 
“...Are you seeing anyone, TK?”
 
TK shook his head. “I'm as single as my mother is. Which she's tried to fix by setting me up on blind dates, but I was too stubborn for her matches to work out. ...But, like I said-.”

“Friends first and foremost, and in time, we'll see. ...I'm all for that.” Kari was calm on the outside, but on the inside… she was going full Daffy Duck. ~WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO! WOOP-WOOP-WOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!!!~
 
A knock on the door brought them back to the actual present as the office door came open and Kou and Robin appeared. “Sorry, but I couldn't stand the suspense any longer,” Robin stated, “now… are you two alright?”
 
Nodding, TK gave a thumb's up. “Just fine, Auntie.”
 
“Good. Now… are you going to work on that article or not? Also, Kari, shouldn't you get back to the bar?”
 
“...Whoops!” both young adults exclaimed, bolting to their feet.
 
“Kari-.”
 
“I get off at closing, 1am; can you wait for me-?”
 
“I'll try, but my roommates are with me.”
 
“Then don't you dare leave without giving me your number and vice-versa!”
 
“Send Ashido back here, she can be the first interviewee. Kou, you get back to work, too. And you…” Robin pointed at TK. “You and I are going to have a long talk later about you and Kari. I don't like secrets withheld by my family.”
 
“Yes'm.”
 
Smirking, Kou briskly walked back to the security booth. As he did, though, he fished out his cell and began texting Cherise - he wanted her to know the good news (he figured, given the extra spring in Kari's steps, that the two had reconciled).
 
“Whatever I said, whatever I did I didn't mean it - I just want you back for good.” Lyrics from “Back For Good” by Take That
 
“Cutting it close,” King commented as Kari returned to behind the bar. “Everything okay?”
 
“Oh, yeah. Great. Better than great.”
 
King noticed Kari's demeanor. “You seem… in high spirits.”
 
“Explanations later, I promise.”
 
“Okay, if you say so…”
 
“Yo, Kari,” Camie said aloud as she reached the bar. “I need two vodka martinis for the guys at my one table. I mentioned you make the best in the house and they want to see for themselves.”
 
“Shaken, not stirred, coming right up-! Wait, where's Mina?”
 
“She's waiting on fries at the kitchen counter, they should be ready any second.”
 
“Go tell her to head back for the boss's office afterwards - she's next for an interview.”
 
“Oh, so you were first, eh? Is the guy a cutie?”
 
“Business before pleasure, Camie. And I hate to say it but he's not looking for any girls - I asked him in case some like you would.”
 
“Awww, you're no fun! Be right back…”
 
“...I thought you were on break,” King commented while Kari went to work on the martinis.
 
“I was, but Kou grabbed me - he was supposed to be first but he felt I should be first instead. Go figure.”
 
“Odd…” King made a mental note to talk to Kou later about it, and then resumed her work.
 
“Wonder how long TK's interviews will take?” Fumikage asked as a new dancer came out to do a number on stage. Time had passed, and he and Shuichi had seen three dancers now. TK had yet to come back out.
 
“Maybe he's enjoying meeting some of the girls here?”
 
“TK, enjoying the girls?”
 
“...One can hope. Frankly, while we're on the subject, I'm concerned about our boy.”
 
“How so?”
 
“He doesn't seem to be interested in girls.”
 
“He's not gay, if that's what-.”
 
“I know, sheesh! ...But he doesn't interact much with the female fanbase the band has like the rest of us. Granted, we're not taking advantage of any girls or have multiple girlfriends, but he's usually by himself. If it's not school, he's gaming, or he's with the band, or he's hanging out with his mother. Not that it's wrong, I like Ms. T.”
 
“You've met her?”
 
“You haven't? ...Maybe next time she comes down from Shinjuku, we can ask TK about the three of us treating her to lunch or dinner.”

“I didn't think mature women were an attraction for you.”
 
“Ho-ho-ho… you're fun-nee,” Shuichi remarked with much sarcasm while Fumikage merely chuckled.
 
“Hi, fellas!”
 
The two turned, and smiled as a man suddenly sat down in TK's seat to join them. “Kazuma!” both said excitedly, and they shook his hand in turn.
 
“Funny running into you guys here,” Kazuma Torisuna commented with a grin. “Hey, is TK with you? I phoned the apartment but no one answered.”
 
“He's in the back, conducting interviews for a writing assignment for his freelance job.”
 
“What brings you here? And how's Kanami-chan?”
 
“She's fine - Kimishima and Ayase are watching her for me. I got off work and I stopped by to see my girlfriend's cousin who works here. He borrowed a book of mine and I'd like to have it back.”
 
“What kind of book?”
 
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I've… promised Kanami I'd read it to her.”
 
“You read Stephen King stories to a little girl?” Fumikage asked, an eyebrow raised.
 
Chuckling, Shuichi added, “Blame Kimishima - he let Kanami watch `The Shining.'”
 
Kazuma's one eye twitched. “I still need to talk to him about what he allows Kanami to watch. Thank the gods she didn't have nightmares after she watched that film.”
 
“It definitely isn't for the faint of heart,” Fumikage retorted, “but the book is much better.”
 
“So even Stephen King said.”
 
“Where'd Takaishi go?” Sero wondered aloud. He and the rest were having their third glass of water each. “He's been gone a good while.”
 
“Maybe he got in trouble. That lady took him away-.”
 
“That was the owner, Kaminari,” Mineta snapped, “and if he had been in trouble, then Uramecha would have gone up to him, not Nico-san. ...And she and he seemed friendly. ...You don't think-?”
 
“Nah!” Sero and Kaminari both said dismissively, with Sero added “that would be way out there if he had a thing for older women. ...How about we call it a night, guys?”
 
“It's still early yet.”
 
“Yeah, but I'm bored.”
 
“If this place had private rooms-.”
 
“How many times do you have to be told?” Kari snapped, overhearing Mineta's comment. “Robin-san established this place for eye candy only, NOT for any form of hanky panky!”
 
“Hanky panky? Who says that anymore?”
 
“Bah, now I'm bored, too,” Mineta said. He was also getting tired of Kari's rather rude attitude towards him and his friends. He downed his water in one final gulp and said, “Let's go back to the dorms, throw on some episodes of Cool Devices.”
 
Hearing this, Kari rolled her eyes in Mineta's choice of hentai. ~I can think of much better and more tasteful hentai anime than THAT collection of plotless junk.~ However, she felt relieved when the trio got up from the bar and started for the main doors. ~Good riddance.~
 
“I see those three fools finally left,” King commented with a smirk. “They give you much trouble tonight?”
 
“No worse than usual. So far it's been a good… night.” Kari then saw a familiar man with light-blonde hair sit down at the bar where Mineta and his two goons had been. “...Monoma.”
 
Neito Monoma smiled. “Hello, my dear Hikari.”
 
“I thought you had lots of homework to do this weekend?”
 
“Oh, I decided to take a well-deserved break. And I wanted to see you most of all.”
 
“If you were hoping to catch me performing onstage, you're sorely mistaken.”
 
“Oh I would much prefer to see you scantily clothed in a more... private setting.”
 
Kari glared at him. “I am NOT that kind of girl!” ~Not even during my worst time years back.~
 
“Please forgive me, that was out of line.” Monoma then placed some money on the counter. “A bottle of fuzzy navel, if you please. Chilled.” He watched Kari as she got a chilled bottle from a mini-fridge from under the bar and, after popping off the cap, set the bottle before him.
 
“I suppose you want a glass of ice with that?”
 
“No, thank you.” Monoma took several small gulps from his drink. “So, when do you get off work? The usual?”
 
“Before you ask me if I can let you walk me back to my place, forget it.”
 
“You seem to know me quite well, yet I still know very little about you.” Smiling still, Monona then said, “It could be dangerous for you to walk home alone at night so late.”
 
“...Who said I'd be walking home alone after work?” Kari then said, getting an idea. “Matter of fact, an old friend from my days in Odaiba is here and HE'S offered to walk me home.”
 
At this Monoma lost his smile. A friend? A MALE friend?! “And who is this… friend?”
 
“That is strictly need-to-know, and you do not need to know.” Kari then walked down to the other end of the bar and quickly asked King, “Can you get a message back to Robin-san for me?”
 
Monoma tightened his grip on his bottle of fuzzy navel, bewildered. How could Kari have a male friend? She only interacted with girls, didn't she? Well, there were the male security personnel, but surely Kari did not mean any of them...
 
Meanwhile, TK had finished his interview with Mina and the latter had left the office. However, Robin then closed the door, looking at TK sternly.
 
“I take it you want that explanation now, don't you?”
 
“It's bugging me that much, yes…”
 
“Alright, but please don't call my mother. I'll tell her about Kari being here tomorrow. ...Kari and I have known each other since we were 8-years-old. Did mom ever mention to you the incident years back in Odaiba with Digimon?”
 
“I recall it, yes. She said you were involved along with your brother Yamato.”
 
“Kari was, too, along with her older brother. That's how we first met. After we ended all that, we stayed in touch and whenever I visited Matt and Dad, I'd make sure I visited Kari, too. Our relationship strengthened when Mom and I moved to Odaiba back when I was 11, though by then she had a persistent admirer named Daisuke Motomiya, though she only saw him as a friend.
 
“When we were 13, a new, more powerful enemy showed up and nearly killed us and our Digimon. By then Kari and I were officially dating, and after that fight we were shaken up enough that some of us got scared we'd actually get killed… so Kari approached me about… making love.”
 
“I… see. I don't need to hear the full details, but maybe you could-.”
 
“I'll cut to the main point, sure. But before that, I need to add that while Kari and I were dating and intimate, she discovered she was bi-curious, and entered a relationship with another of our friends, Miyako Inoue, who also had a boyfriend but he and I respected Kari and Miyako enough we didn't fight or argue over our girls being intimate with each other, as long as they didn't try boyfriend-swapping. Well, we finished off this new enemy eventually and things started to go back to normal. Then one day I was asked by the girlfriends of Matt and Tai, Mimi and Sora, to help them with some shopping. Unfortunately near the end we got caught in a bad rainstorm and had to take shelter in a motel. That's when the girls tried to seduce me.”
 
“They failed?”
 
TK gave a small smile. “You know me too well, Auntie. Yeah, they failed - I got so mad, especially when they said they had permission but I didn't let them explain from whom, and I told them flat out aside from a one-time threesome with Kari and Miyako, I'd never sleep with any girl besides Kari ever again; I even locked myself in the bathroom until my clothes had dried and then I left for home in the rain. Days later, Kari asked me about the encounter; I figured Sora or Mimi had told her, and I explained I resisted them and kept myself from giving in, all for her. Then Kari started crying, and I was confused until… Until she confessed she'd cheated on me.”
 
“No-!”
 
TK raised a hand to make Robin quiet down. “I asked her what she meant… and she told me she'd been unfaithful twice; she first confessed that she'd been blackmailed into first sleeping with her brother Tai by Sora, and later Sora and Kari got Tai to have a threesome with them. I thought, `okay, Sora blackmailed her - it wasn't Kari's fault and she regretted it.' And then, Kari confessed to another threesome… this one had been her idea - she and Miyako, whom had been against it at first, seduced another friend of ours, Iori, because she felt he was…” TK paused briefly to choose the right words. “More `mature' than he appeared.”
 
“Oh, Takeru…”
 
“And so, having heard all Kari had confessed, I asked her to give back the spare key to mom's place and told her it was best if we didn't see each other anymore. She complied and left me… and I called Matt over and he comforted me as I finally broke down. From that day on, I swore to never be hurt like that ever again, and that meant I'd never give my heart or be intimate ever again. Shortly after that, Mom got a job requiring us to move away again, and I never saw Kari again; I never even told her we were moving away.”
 
“And… how do you feel about her now?”
 
“That's the… unexplainable part. ...Part of me never let go of her. I don't know if I can love her again, but… she was… is my best friend. I've missed her. And now-.”

“Now she's sincerely apologized to you and she wants to try to mend fences with you, I did overhear some of that. Well… as far as I have known Kari, she's been a good worker, friendly… and she's fended off a few guys who tried to get to know her better or just wanted to get into her panties. And Kou, whom knows her more than I do, swore to me she's regretted what happened between you two and truly wants you back in her life regardless if you and her can be a couple again or not.”
 
“So, you don't think-?”

“What I know is… sometimes friendships need straining to see if they are stronger than they seem. If they don't break, then it was never real; if they come back stronger, then it is a worthwhile thing. For your sake, Takeru, I hope you and Kari are the latter.”
 
“That makes… well I guess four of us if we count you, that Kou guy, Kari, and me.” He patted his chest where his heart was. “I had given up on my crest of Hope after Kari confessed to cheating on me, almost. Maybe this is its way of telling me something.”
 
“Does your mother know-?”
 
“Yes, I learned long ago never to lie to her. She hasn't spoken to Kari since the breakup but she never said anything bad about her in all this time, I think. Though she wasn't exactly thrilled when I had to explain Kari and I were intimate in secret for a good while. And yes, we were VERY careful; I never got Kari or Miyako (thank the gods) pregnant.”
 
There was suddenly a knock on the door and Robin opened it. “Kou?”
 
“Hey, I was asked to relay a message.” Kou looked past Robin to TK. “Kari wants to know, again, if you can stay and walk her home after her shift ends tonight.”

“I can, but if my roommates want to leave before then, I have to let them know-.”

“I'll take care of it,” Robin spoke up, “I need to get their tabs and apply a discount.”
 
`They're going to refuse; I already warned them you might try that.”
 
“Hush, mister! This is my establishment and I can give discounts to whomever I choose and that includes you and your friends. I'll let Kari know the message was passed and you'll be waiting for her. Kou, I believe it's your turn for an interview now; no dodging it this time, and please don't steer the subject away.”
 
“Yes, boss.” Kou closed the door behind him and approached TK. “...Hated lying to my boss, but before we get to your assignment… ...Thank you.”

“For what?”
 
“For not ripping Kari a new one, for starters; and giving her a second chance.” Kou then sat down opposite of TK. “I met her over a year, close to a year and a half ago through my cousin Cherise, who is currently one of Kari's roommates. Shortly after I met her, Cherise called me to have me listen with her to Kari as Cherise felt something was bothering Kari. It took a bit of gentle prodding, but Kari finally told Cherise and me about you, about the Digimon… and everything that led to you and her splitting up. My cousin and I have our own shitty yet different pasts, so we didn't judge Kari for hers.”
 
“O-kay… uh, I'm sure you have more to say, but like Robin said-.”

“Yeah, yeah, I got it. I just wanted to get it out of the way and say thanks for not treating Kari like dirt despite her mistakes hurt you.”

“I have time, distance, my experiences in the Digital World, and lots and lots of piano lessons to thank for healing most of the wounds.”

“Piano lessons?”
 
“Another time. Anyway, let's talk about security for the club…”
 
“Fair enough, fair enough.” Nodded Kou as he rubbed the back of his head, somewhat glad nothing was getting awkward.
 
But TK suddenly said, “For what it's worth on my end, thank you and your cousin for being good friends to Kari.” TK had an expression of genuine gratitude on his face, along with a small smile. “Especially if you both didn't consider her scum after hearing the whole deal. Not many would be so kind.”
 
Shrugging Kou gave a wry smile. “Like I said we've had our own… messy history, plus given how much she still beat herself up over her part of the breakup… like I told her. A bad bitch would have not cared about hurting you or let it slide after some time. Kari... nah, she never forgot and tried to be a better person so she'd never cause the same pain, and carried the guilt of what she did to you ever since. When I realized who you were, I knew I had to get you both alone to talk things over, good or bad if just so she got closure.”
 
TK's respect for the purple-eyed bouncer sitting across from him increased as he heard him speak. ~This guy was really looking out for her, and I owe him too otherwise we may have passed each other yet again or not been able to see one another until the end of the night.~ He thought, mulling things over in his head. “You're something else Uramecha-San.”
 
“Just Kou will do, I don't care for honorifics much, blame my American half.”
 
“Oh? You're half American?”
 
“Dad's from yee' old Eagleland, and Mom's Japanese. My hair, and eyes are hers, while my gender and body structure is from my old man. Might be a blessing as I dunno if I'd look fine with his Irish ginger hair or mess of freckles.”
 
“As someone with European blood I can understand. I'm fully Japanese, but the French from my Mom's side is very prevalent.”
 
“Explains the hair and eyes, but anyway I think I oughta start talking about my job.”

Laughing, TK nodded. “Not a bad idea but I do have one question before we start, but it does somewhat have to do with your job.”

“What'cha got?”
 
“Your last name is Uramecha right?” At Kou's nod he pressed, “As in the same Uramecha I've heard the local thugs fear as `the Devil'?”
 
At this, Kou closed his eyes, and groaned. “I might have garnered that rep since Junior High… helps with the job sometimes… Let's just say I have a major problem with assholes who like to harass and hurt others. There's a reason I help run security here, and sometimes a fierce rep helps keep the riff-raff away. Despite this club being run very clean there's still A-holes who come in thinking we're like the dive clubs that have… under the table hanky panky stuff.”
 
“I guess when your club has girls get naked at the edge of the Red Light people get the wrong idea huh?”
 
Popping his neck the bouncer gave a quick nod and explained onward. “Robin-san runs a clean ship. Girls get naked but that's it; no private booths, all dances are in line of sight, so no hidden BJ's, fucking... and customers do not touch the dancers unless permission is given and what they touch is very restrictive. The dancers also are to keep their own touching to a minimum, you get the gist.”
 
“I must admit, I'm impressed you guys get the amount of business you reportedly do with such restrictions, not that I'm judging, if anything I'm for it.”
 
At this, Kou smirked. “Now we do private parties which dials back some taboos, but it's still tame-ish. Most I've ever seen allowed was two dancers doing a lesbian lick and grind on stage for this one mixed bachelor/bachelorette party.”
 
TK's face went red, but he kept himself stoic. “Mixed bachelor/bachelorette party?”
 
“The bride was bi and was up for female dancers so they opted to have their parties together.”

“...And two of your dancers had actual sex on the stage?”
 
“Kind of impromptu but yes, and that was just for a private bash but, eh, like I said for regular club hours we keep it tame and clean.”
 
Tugging his collar, TK swallowed and forced himself not to think of such things; it almost brought back the threesome he had with Kari and Miyako. “R-right, so anyway back to the interview…”�
 
Much later, as the last of the club-goers were asked to leave, Shuichi and Fumikage found themselves outside the front of the club, waiting for TK. Earlier, Robin had come to them and explained TK had to stay until closing, but he had said they could leave if they wished; they chose to stay to the end and were the first to leave when 1am struck.
 
“Wonder how much he got done tonight?”
 
“Guess we'll find out soon enough. ...Maybe we'll get lucky and-?”
 
“Shuichi - let's not delude ourselves, huh?”
 
“Well, we can dream.”
 
“Keep dreaming, gentlemen. And I DO use that term VERY loosely.”

Shuichi and Fumikage both turned and frowned. “Monoma. And what brings you out from your cave, bat-boy?” Shuichi commented.
 
“Bat-boy?”
 
“Calling you Batman would be a grievous insult to the franchise, worse so than Joel Schuemaker's Batman & Robin,” insisted Fumikage.
 
Monoma merely brushed off the attempted insult. “My reasons for being here are none of your concern. Though I am curious as to why you are here. But only slightly.”
 
“Well if you're not telling, we're not telling.”
 
“Agreed.”
 
“How immature.”
 
“Hey, is this creep bothering you guys?” Heads turned as Mina and Camie approached the three.
 
“He tries.”
 
“Why are-? ...Oh of course - you girls have no taste.”
 
“Watch it, bub,” Mina sneered, “at least these guys can sing a tune and hold it.”
 
“If you're waiting for Hika to get out so you can walk her home,” Camie then added, “don't bother - she wouldn't go anywhere with you even in a conversation.” She then returned her focus onto Shuichi and Fumikage. “Where's Takaishi? I haven't seen him with you guys for hours.”
 
“Probably having a chat with Robin-san since they're family friends.”
 
Monoma blinked. “Wait, since when is someone like Takaishi acquaintances with the owner of this club?”
 
“Since he was, like, 6?” Mina remarked. “I asked the boss about it since I saw them together.” ~Monoma here doesn't need to know about the article Takaishi's writing about the club…~
 
“So did you guys have fun tonight?” Camie asked the other two.
 
“Oh yes, very much.”
 
“Third time does very little to dull this place's charms.”
 
“I hope you guys will come again, especially if your band gets a chance to play.”
 
“Even if it doesn't, please come by again. Especially on a night I'm performing.”
 
“Down, Camie,” Kari said with a laugh as she exited the building, “don't scare away the customers by being too eager to show off.”
 
Monoma's mood brightened. “Ah, there you are, Hikari! Shall I escort you home now?”
 
“Monoma, get a clue! I've already got an escort.”
 
“But-!” Suddenly Monoma felt a firm hand on his one shoudler and turned to see a not-very-happy Kou giving him a soft glare.
 
“Did you not hear the lady? She's not interested in your offer. Now I suggest you leave before you'll be limping home.” Kou then looked over at Kari. “TK'll be out shortly; Robin-san's bringing him out the back.”
 
“Oh, good.”
 
“Hold on,” Shuichi said before he, Fumikage, Mina, and Camie all pointed at Kari. “You KNOW TK/Takaishi?!”
 
Monoma blanched. “T-Takaishi?!” ~THAT'S whom she's waiting on?!~
 
“Uh, yes I do. And how do you four know-?”
 
“Shuichi and I are his roommates at an apartment complex just off the campus,” Fumikage explained.
 
“Kari, Takaishi is in the Nostalgia Brothers band,” Camie exclaimed. She then thumbed at Shuichi. “Just like Iguchi here.”
 
“And Tokoyami there is their back-up player and manager.”
 
“Er, assistant manager, please.”
 
“Uh… I never heard the names of the Nostalgia Brothers. Sorry?” ~TK in a band? Wonder if Matt had anything to do with that? Then again, TK mentioned he took piano lessons as therapy-.~ Kari then felt Camie put an arm around her as the other girl pressed very close to her one side; Mina took the other side.
 
“Girl, we need to have a long talk about your ignorance about one of my favorite local bands.”
 
Mina nodded in agreement. Meanwhile, Shuichi and Fumikage stepped away to talk in private.
 
TK's been hiding something from us. That is not cool.
 
Yes, but perhaps he had his reasons.
 
Well it's not because she works here. If she were one of the dancers, I'd understand but she's a bartender.
 
Fumikage glanced back at Kari briefly. “True. However, she is… attractive. Maybe he thought we'd hit on her or something.
 
Dude, he knows I do not go for girls that are close friends of my bandmates! It's like dating a coworker at your job - if it goes south, then that makes the job more stressful. And just how long has he known this girl?
 
It might have been before he and we met.” Fumikage then spotted, out of the corner of his eye, TK coming out from around the back corner of the building accompanied by Robin. “Here he comes now.”
 
“Is there a reason why some of you are still here outside the club?” Robin asked semi-sternly; her question was directed squarely at Mina, Camie, and Monoma.
 
Shuichi stepped up, hands up in apology. “Very sorry, ma'am - the girls are fans of our band and were asking us about our next gig.”
 
Kari rushed up to TK, hooked her arm around his, and hissed to him “Let's go, quick!” She then gave a quick wave to Mina and Camie and said, “See you next shift” before she pulled TK away quickly, maintaining a quick pace. “Monoma, see you later. MUCH later! Bye, Kou! Bye, boss!”
 
“Hey, wait, Kari-!” Mina began.
 
“Sorry, gals; but we'll be seeing ya!” And Shuichi and Fumikage took off after TK and Kari. They wanted answers, and they would surely get them.
 
“Very sorry,” Kari tried to explain as they walked briskly, “but I really wanted to get away from Monoma.” Before TK could ask, Kari quickly added, “Neito Monoma - he attends the college here like we do; and he's got it bad for me like Daisuke used to, only Daisuke was more tolerable AND didn't have a superiority complex.”
 
“Thanks for the warning.”
 
“What are friends for-?”
 
“Friends?” Shuichi suddenly was in front of the two, making them stop. “Did you say friends?”
 
“Er, what Shuichi means, TK,” Fumikage added as he appeared beside TK and Kari, “is that we'd like an introduction, if you please.”
 
“And an explanation while we're at it.”
 
~Hoo boy,~ TK thought as a large bead of sweat formed on his head; he could tell by their tones that his roommates were not happy about him not telling them about Kari. “Look, I'm sorry, guys; I promise I'll explain but for right now, let's just walk Kari back to her dorm-.”
 
“I'm not in the dorms, I'm at the apartment complex just off campus - the Sabaody building.”
 
TK and his roommates exchanged astonished looks, with Shucihi and Fumikage noting even TK was surprised. “What floor and which apartment, if you please?” Fumikage asked.
 
“2nd floor, apartment 2F. ...Why?”
 
It was TK who answered, still stunned: “We're… three apartments down from you, in 2C.”
 
“....” Kari then looked straight up and pointed. “NOT FUNNY, YOU CELESTIAL POWERS! NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!!”
 
“Uh, TK, I'm very confused right now-.”
 
“Shuichi, Fumikage… tonight at the club was the first time Kari and I have seen each other in over 5 years.”
 
“...Ah/Oh.”
 
Sighing in slight frustration, Kari calmed herself down. “Very sorry, you guys. Let me make a proper introduction…” She bowed once. “Hikari Yakagi, or `Kari' for short. I've known TK since we were both 8-years-old. And like he said, tonight was our first time seeing each other in a long time.”
 
~Now it makes a bit more sense.~ Clearing his throat, Shuichi bowed in kind. “I'm Shuichi Iguchi, roommate and bandmate of TK's.”
 
“Fumikage Tokoyami, and the same.”
 
“The short version is TK and I were best friends since we first met, then we started dating when we turned 12-.”
 
“Then at 14 we had a fight and broke up shortly, and later I moved to America before we could make up,” TK finished; he felt the guys didn't need to know the full truth about him and Kari, at least not unless they asked and especially NOT in front of Kari. ~I might be in hot water with my mother if Robin goes ahead and lets her know Kari and I met again, I really don't feel like talking to my roommates about our darkest part of our past.~
 
“So… are you two-?”
 
“Friends,” Kari quickly replied to Shuichi's question, “we're friends again… we both agreed to start from scratch and work our way back up the ladder. But I already know I have to truly earn TK's trust back, and I intend to do right by him this time.”
 
“...I think their explanation satisfies my curiosity,” Fumikage then stated. “Does it for you, Shuichi?”
 
“Yeah, now things are much clearer.”

“I'm really sorry I didn't-.”

“TK, relax - an ex isn't exactly a topic one brings up casually, especially if it was your best friend. Perhaps, though, we'd best move along before we attract the wrong kind of attention?”
 
“Good idea, Fumikage.” And so the four walked onward, with TK and Kari at the front, side by side, and the others behind them.
 
“So… you're in a band?”
 
“Y-yeah, I never did get to mention that before your break ended. Oh yeah, I wanted to show you…” TK took out his wallet and carefully opened it to take out a weathered picture he then showed to Kari. “Mom interviewed him for her job and that's how she got me to take piano lessons from him - Burter B. Driftwood. He says I'm one of his favorite students.”

The picture was of a large man about the size of Schwartzenagger with blue skin, no hair, and blank red eyes but with a gentle smile. He was sitting in front of a piano in the picture.
 
Kari was amazed. “I can't imagine someone that big as a piano player or even a teacher.”
 
“He said he was inspired by multiple sources: Paul Williams, Chico Marx of the Marx Brothers, Rowlf the Dog of the Muppets, Liberace…”
 
“That might explain how TK can really pound the keys when he plays,” Fumikage remarked with a smile.
 
“Are you the lead singer?” Kari asked, handing back the picture to TK.
 
“Shuichi's the lead-.”
 
“Hey, hey, we share the lead singer job, TK, remember? Granted you let me do more singing than you do, but to me it's still an even split. Besides, some of the songs we play I can't sing lead and play the lead guitar at the same time, so you have to take over my axe for me and Fumikage here takes over the keys.”
 
“Why the name `Nostalgia Brothers?'”
 
“Nostalgia Critic,” all three guys explained in unison. Shuichi added, “That and everyone in the band has a passion for most songs from the 80's. I personally loved some of Queen's 80's hits, and some from the 70's too.”
 
“TK and I both love some of Genesis's music,” Fumikage commented.
 
“And I admit I have a soft spot for some of Billy Joel's hits, too. And Huey Lewis and the News.”
 
“What, no songs by women?”
 
TK chuckled. “Shuichi can do a pretty good rendition of Cyndi Lauper's `Girls Just Wanna Have Fun…' when he's drunk.”
 
“Dude, that was just us playing Luffy's copy of Karaoke Revolution after finals last semester. And for the record, his damn grandpa spiked the drinks.”

“That's why we agreed it was the first AND last time we had any kind of get-together at Luffy's place.”
 
Soon the group reached the complex and went inside and up to their floor. When they reached Apartment 2C, the group halted. “Well,” Shuichi said quietly, “this is our stop. Nice to meet you, Kari.”
 
“Likewise.”

“Thank you, boys. Maybe we can get together sometime, only I'll bring my roommates along. But mind you, one of them has a steady boyfriend.”
 
“That's cool - we don't mess with other guys' gals period.”
 
“But before you guys go on…” Kari held out her hand to TK, palmside up. “Your phone.”
 
Without a word, TK took out and handed his cell phone to Kari, who dialed her number into it and placed the call before she felt her phone vibrate and she ended the call; she then added the number to TK's contact list before returning his phone and taking hers out to add his number to her contact list as well.
 
“There. Now here's where I take my leave. Goodnight, TK. Goodnight, boys.”
 
“Goodnight, Kari.”
 
Kari walked down to her apartment, took out her key, pausing to look down and watch TK enter his apartment after his friends did, before she unlocked the door and walked inside. As soon as she closed the door, she turned and was suddenly hugged by Cherise. “...Kou called you, didn't he?” she asked, smiling a bit.
 
“Texted.” Cherise pulled back a bit, smiling widely. “Kari, you have no idea how happy I am for you!”
 
“W-well don't go celebrating for me yet… we're just friends… I still have a long way to go before I feel I've made up for all I did to him.”
 
“Maybe, but at least he's willing to try again from the beginning.”

Suddenly, Kari's vision was blurred; she was crying again. It was so sudden, and then it hit her hard - TK was back, he was back in her life, and he was giving her one more chance. She pulled Cherise into another hug and they sank to the floor. “I found him… I finally found TK… he's back… and he's here, he's only three apartments down from us...
 
“Ssssh,” Cheirse said soothingly, stroking Kari's hair as her friend and roommate cried softly. “Honey, it's okay… let it out. Let it all out. ...I really am happy for you.”
 
Inside her room, her door open a crack as she stood near it, Ayaka frowned.
 
“I can't believe it's been so long, how have you been? We've got so much to catch up on, I'm so happy to see you again.” Lyrics from “Happy to See You Again” by Paul Carrack
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Notes:
 
Hello, everyone.
 
Well, TK and Kari have finally met again, and it looks like they're mending the fences. But things won't be so easy. After all, this is a 13-part story, and there are 10 more chapters to go.
 
More non-DIGIMON characters (though not as many) are introduced and/or mentioned: Kazuma, Kimishima and Kanami from S-CRY-ED, Monoma from MY HERO ACADEMIA, nd Burter from DRAGON BALL Z (though the B. Driftwood part of the nam was ripped from a character played by Groucho Marx in a film titled A NIGHT AT THE OPERA).
 
By now you're likely wondering “Why the rating if so far there's only adult language and a few bits of nudity, but only mentionings of sex in this story?” Good things come to those who wait. And if you're complaining about the wait, let me explain - I already have written out all 13 parts, but I need to move them from Google Docs to Word to upload the files, and some touching up her and there (and add the warnings/disclaimers as well as my notes at the end) before said uploading. Plus I may post this story on FF.net AFTER I edit the content. …I miss the good old days of FF.net's beginnings.
 
Thank you for reading this tale. Please read and review (and be kind in said reviews, even if you didn't like it). Part 4 will come soon.
 
Ja ne! -Robster80 (R80)