Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake ❯ Part 2 - So Close... Closer Than You'd Think ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake
Part 2 - So Close… Closer Than You'd Think
 
By Robster80 (R80)
Co-Written by TheUNB
 
WARNING: This story is for 18 or older readers! There's foul language, and sexual content. The latter won't be in every chapter, but there will be in a few of them. If you are under 18, PLEASE stop reading right now and turn back!
You have been warned.
 
DISCALIMER: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT own any of the characters in this story! This is FANFICTION, so this is written for fun, not profit! I don't even own the songs or the matching lyrics to said songs used as chapter breaks
 
 
Previously - A period of nymphomania during a dark time in the Chosen kids' lives left lasting scars on two Chosen - TK and Kari. Kari's trysts involving her female lover Mikayo, their younger friend Iori, and her brother Tai and his girlfriend Sora, caused her and TK to break up in the worst way. Not long afterwards, TK and his mother moved away, leaving Kari behind. The two former best friends and lovers each vowed to never love, nor be intimate again. The years went by and both now attend college in their second year. Kari regrets what happened and, now plagued by dreams reminding her of her sins, wants to find TK to try and make amends no matter the outcome; meanwhile TK has lost his anger over what happened and some part of him hopes to meet Kari again. Neither realizes, though, how close the two are in the present…
 
 
“I still believe. I still put faith in us. We had it all, and watched it slip away. Where are we now? Not where we want to be…” Lyrics from “Someday Out of the Blue” by Elton John
 
 
TK took about a minute to catch his breath from his jogging before he took a slow, deep breath and then entered the diner. Immediately upon walking in, he heard someone call out to him, only it wasn't whom he expected.
 
“Young Takaishi! Good morning.”
 
Turning, TK saw a skinny blonde man with a yellow suit approaching him. “Yagi-san, good morning! Funny seeing you here.”

Toshinori Yagi shook hands with his employee; he was the boss of the magazine TK worked for as a freelance writer. “I was about to say the same thing. What brings you here?”
 
“He's joining us for breakfast, Toshi.”

Both men looked back down the one side of the diner to see two women sitting at a booth and waving at them. TK clearly recognized his own mother, Natsuko Takaishi, and the other - a black-haired woman with brown eyes - was someone he remembered vividly from his past. “Robin,” both he and Toshinori said happily. They then exchanged bewildered looks and asked each other. “You know Robin?”
 
Laughing merrily, Robin Nico waved them to come over. “Get over here you two, explanations will follow.” She then got up to hug each of them in turn, TK first. “Boy, you've grown so much from the kid I used to babysit for my best friend. And you…” She grabbed Toshinori and nearly crushed him given his skinny frame. “You don't call, you don't write…”
 
“H-hey, I'm an editor - I don't get much free time anymore. Besides, you're still too wild for me.”
 
“And who is this gentleman, son of mine?” Natsuko asked.
 
TK quickly made introductions. “Mom, this is Toshinori Yagi, my boss for the magazine I write for. Yagi-san, my mother Natsuko Takaishi.”
 
Natsuko got up to shake hands with Toshinori, who said with a smile “I've read some of your works. I see where Young Takaishi gets his talent from.”
 
“Thank you, and thank you for giving my son a job to follow his and my passions.”
 
“Care to join us, Toshi?”
 
“Uh, just a sec - let me grab my plate they served up.” Toshinori went for his breakfast and joined the booth - him and Robin sat together while Natsuko and TK were opposite them. As for their orders, Robin and Natsuko had already ordered, with Natsuko ordering ahead for TK, which he didn't mind. “So, Takaishi-san, you live in town?”
 
“Shinjuku - I come to visit my son at least once every two weeks or so to see how he's doing and let him know I'm doing fine.”
 
“And she only just told me TK was at college here in Juban,” Robin added before facing TK. “How's school going?”
 
“Fine - I just turned in a paper on the relationships between editors and their writers for my one class. I just hope the teacher likes it.”
 
“That the same paper you mentioned the relationship between Akira Toriyama and his one editor Kazuhiko Torishima?” Toshinori asked. “Concerning how Toriyama altered his story thrice during the one major story arc of Dragonball?”
 
“Yes, it is.”
 
“Care to explain?” Robin asked, curious. “I've never seen or read Dragonball myself, but somehow you got me wondering.”
 
“Well, Toriyama-san introduced two new villains who were Androids or Artificial Humans that were supposed to be so dangerous that they killed the main cast in an alternate future. They were Androids 19 and 20 - a fat man and an old man. By this point, he was basically writing per chapter with no real plan. When Torishima-san saw them in Weekly Shonen Jump, he called Toriyama-san and asked if that was the best he could do for villains. So Toriyama-san altered the story to reveal that the real threat were Androids 17 and 18, a set of twin Androids who were so dangerous that their creator was hesitant to activate. Later, Torishima-san contacted Toriyama-san again and said `Seriously, you went with two bratty teenagers as your major villains?' So Toriyama-san came up with one more new villain - a bio-android named Cell that could absorb the life energy of living beings and become even stronger; it took one more displeased phone call from said former editor before Toriyama improved, or more accurately perfected, the threat of Cell by having him absorbing 17 and 18 to reach an all-powerful form. After that, Torishima-san was more satisfied with this result, which a good number of fans have enjoyed in Dragonball's history..”
 
“Interesting.”
 
“Least that was more healthy than some of the other manga-ka/editor relationships in WSJ in recent years,” Toshinori commented, “like Naruto, or especially Bleach. Shame that one went downhill like it did.”
 
“How about changing the subject?” TK looked at Robin. “How've you been in the time since I last saw or heard from you, Robin?”
 
“I'm just great. I own a club here in Juban. Ever heard of `The White Cat?'”
 
TK thought about it briefly. “Isn't that a… gentleman's club?”
 
“The most respectable gentleman's club in the area,” Toshinori added with a smirk. “Never been inside myself despite Robin's invites to do so (my wife would kill me), but some folks I know have been there and they have a lot of good things to say about it, from the girls to the food and drinks.”
 
“But not the prices?”
 
“You can't win them all, Robin.”

“Touche.”
 
“My one roommate's been there twice,” TK then said, recalling Fumikage mentioning the club. “He's not crazy about the name but he liked the atmosphere. He's a bit of a goth-type. Our other roommate Shuichi suggested we go there sometime after mid-term exams.”
 
“You let me know and I'll get you boys in at reduced rates-. Ah-ah! No arguing, young man! You and your mother are family to me.”
 
“Okay, okay… I see that part of you hasn't changed.”
 
“You expected her to change at all?” Natsuko asked with a short laugh.
 
Robin then asked, “So, TK… dating anyone?” This earned her a hiss from Natsuko, who motioned to kill the subject quickly.
 
However, TK just replied, “No, I'm single. It's… complicated.”
 
“And personal,” Toshinori added; he didn't know what TK's deal was but he could tell from TK's tone that it wasn't something to talk about in their current location, nor try to force TK into talking about it at all. Thankfully, by this time, the rest of their orders had arrived and they began eating.
 
“Say this reminds me… Young Takaishi, I do have a new assignment for you.”

“Oh, good, I wanted to ask you if you had one for me. What is it?”
 
“Well, first…” Toshinori turned his attention to Robin. “I've been meaning to ask you if I could allow a writer from my magazine to do a piece on your club, Robin. I saw a… not-so flattering piece about your place recently-.”
 
“Ah, that trash.” Robin fumed. “We threw out a repeat offender who doesn't know how to respect my workers' boundaries or the house rules; the jerk thought he was free to cop feels on not just the dancers but the waitresses and even tried on one of my part-time bartenders. Problem is he comes from a rich family and he sought payback by bribing a reporter for a paper to write an untrue and negatively-biased review of my club. Lucky said piece was in a paper whose editor knows my husband and once he investigated said reporter got fired and a retraction has been ordered, but it'll take some time until there's an opening in his paper.”
 
“Well, how about TK here writes a piece for me to publish? He's proven to be unbiased in his writings, especially for two video games he reviewed fairly recently.” Toshinori went back to TK. “Unless you don't think you're up for it?”
 
“Well, I've never been to a club like this, but… if it's for work, and especially to help Robin, I can swallow my pride. Just one condition, Robin-.”
 
“Relax, kiddo - I don't set up my girls for dates. The men who work for me, though, that's different, as long as it's not with any girls working at the club. Well, except maybe one time...”
 
“Heh, remind me to not seek employment at your place then.” And this got a laugh out of the booth. Once he calmed down, TK asked, “How soon do I have to turn in my article, boss?”
 
“The next issue's on hold for another week yet, so I'd say in six days. Plenty of time.”
 
“How's the weekend looking for you, TK?”
 
“All my homework's done, and my band's on break since our drummer's out sick-.”
 
“Wait, you're in a band?”
 
Natsuko faked rolling her eyes. “I blame my eldest son since he used to be in a band before he got bitten by the astronaut bug.”
 
“We mostly do 80's songs, hence why we dubbed ourselves the Nostalgia Brothers. My roommate Shuichi Iguchi is our lead guitarist and lead vocals. I do piano and/or keyboard, and when necessary lead guitar.”
 
“Hmmmm… We've been discussing holding an amateur night for local bands. Maybe yours could come to the White Cat for that night and do a song or two?”
 
“I'll discuss it with the band. Meanwhile, we should focus on my assignment.”
 
“Just like your old lady - business before pleasure. I'll give everyone advanced warning so they know you're coming to ask them questions. Think you could make time tonight and pop in at the club?”
 
“Why not?”
 
Robin beamed, but before she could voice her joy, she heard her phone give a text alert. Checking it, she smiled. “Ah, good. My part-time bartender got her paycheck finally. She forgot to get it last night. Nice girl, though she could make more by dancing…”
 
“She doesn't?” asked Natsuko.
 
“No - when she came looking to apply for work, she was adamant for anything but dancing. But she's learned how to mix drinks very well.”
 
~Sounds like she could give Shuichi some pointers,~ TK thought. Speaking of Shuichi, when he got back he needed to check on his roommates and see if they were up for joining him to visit the White Cat, as well as see if the band could do a gig at said club. He also needed to check up on Luffy and see if his cold was better.
 
Also, now that he thought about it, he needed to buy more pads and writing utensils. If he was going to write about the club, he had to be prepared.
 
 
“I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter, but my will gets weak, and my thoughts seem to scatter but I'm thinking about forgiveness, forgiveness, even if, even if you don't love me anymore.” Lyrics from “Heart of the Matter” by Don Henley
 
 
Depositing most of her check had taken up more time that Kari figured it would, but she chalked it up to people neglecting to do their banking before a Saturday. Luckily for her, she had only needed to wait a half hour before she got a teller to take her check and give her some money before she headed out to the store for grocery shopping.
 
After entering the store and making her way to the meat counter, she got out her lists and sought out any mentions of meats and what kind. “Let's see… we still have some chicken leftover, plus Kou made an extra steak we can cut up and use for a soup recipe Cherise said she wanted to try… Ayaka asked for some salmon, and I feel like salmon… but a small extra steak wouldn't hurt.”
 
Kari found the items she needed (the steak had a sticker offering an extra few yen off so Kari grabbed a nice one that was still within the budget) and placed them in a lined bag that would keep them cool. “Next, some lemons…” She turned to head for the produce sections when she accidentally bumped into someone. “Ah! E-excuse me, I'm so sorry-!”
 
“Kari? Is that you?”
 
Blinking, Kari looked at whom she had bumped into, and almost couldn't believe her eyes. “Sora?!”
 
The Auburn-haired woman smiled. “Hi.” She accepted Kari's quick hug as they both giggled at the unexpected reunion.
 
“Sora, what are you doing here?”
 
“I came down to check on you, but your roommates said you were out. I stopped here to pick up a few things before I headed back home. Guess the Gods guided me here to find you.”
 
“Maybe. How about we shop together and then grab a quick snack before you head back to my brother, future sis-in-law.”
 
“Hey now, we're not quite ready to make that step, yet.”
 
Kari stuck out her tongue. “But it's coming eventually.”
 
“You just wanted payback for-, uh… never mind.” Sora mentally berated herself; she was about to remark that Kari and TK used to be teased by their brothers that they were a married couple, and given what happened, it was not a good idea to bring that up. “So, where are you headed next?”
 
“Produce.” Kari didn't show it, but she knew what Sora had meant to say, and she forgave Sora quietly.
 
The two finished their shopping and left for a nearby McDonald's booth to grab milkshakes before sitting on a bench to talk some more.
 
“..How are you?” Sora asked hesitantly; they held off talking about anything until they had finished shopping.
 
“...I've been dreaming lately about… my mistakes. ...I still miss him, Sora.”
 
“...I'm so sorry-.”
 
“Sora… you were only part of the problem. It was me who gave in, it was me who… well… ...I played, and I paid dearly for it.”
 
“...We thought we knew what it was like to be adults. We couldn't have been more wrong.”
 
“Maybe. But Tai pointed out once that even adults make mistakes, too. But I try to see some good came out of it. I mean… sure you and Tai dialed it way back for a time, and now look at the two of you.” Kari smiled warmly. “You refound the love you two had.”
 
“I didn't think I deserve to be loved. But Tai waited for me for so long… I just wish I had better understood things much sooner.”
 
“I think we both do. ...You haven't heard from TK… have you?”
 
Sora shook her head. “Given how upset Matt was with me, I felt TK was better off without his so-called big sister. ...Though Tai emailed him about a year or two ago.”
 
“He told me, yes. It was about you two, though; he didn't mention me. He figured doing so would be pressing his luck. ...TK never replied though.”
 
“No, he didn't. But there's good and bad in that.”
 
“...I want to see him again, though,” Kari admitted after a long sip of her milkshake. “I want to apologize properly, and ask if we can try again. As friends. And I'm prepared for either getting my best friend back, or letting him go for good and moving on.”
 
“...You hear from Daisuke and the rest at all?”
 
“No. Miyako invited me to one of her party's once last year, but I politely declined. I feared seeing her would bring up old memories. I hear she and Ken are still together, and happy. As for the others, I only heard bits and pieces.”
 
“Same here. ...How's work?”
 
“It's good. I go in tonight at 8.”
 
“Dancing?”
 
Kari smirked. “You'd like to see me up on stage doing a striptease and a pole dance, wouldn't you?”
 
“Only if you wore a lampshade on your head and were drunk as a skunk.”
 
“Never gonna happen,” both stated, and they laughed. Sora then got up. “Well, I'd better go. You call me if you need anything, you hear?”
 
“Yes, sis-in-law.” They hugged each other, though Sora held onto Kari longer.
 
You'll find him again, Hikari… I believe it.
 
“...Thanks, Sora.”
 
 
“It only takes a second to learn, it only takes a second to hurt, and it's just like love to be the hardest thing.” Lyrics from “Just Like Love” by Peter Cetera
 
 
Toshinori joined TK in going for more writing supplies, claiming he needed a few things himself. After they had made their trip to an office supply store, they started off for TK's apartment complex, as Toshinori's offices were along the way. He kept quiet, though he wanted to ask TK about his earlier mood at breakfast; his own past as a reporter nagged at him to inquire why TK had been so reluctant to explain why the young man wasn't seeing anyone. Yet because he liked TK, both as an employee and as a friend, he didn't make his inquiries.
 
Suddenly, TK stopped walking; so did Toshinori. “...I had a girlfriend,” the young man finally said as if he knew what Toshinori was thinking, “years ago. When I was 13. She was… my best friend since we were 8.” Finally, he took his free hand and fished out his wallet before opening it and taking out a picture he had tucked away in the billfold section. He didn't show it directly to Toshinori, but his boss could see it without hindrance. It was of Kari, smiling warmly at the camera and making a “I love you” gesture at the same time.
 
“...How'd it end?”
 
“...Badly. I ended it…” That was all TK could manage to say, but he hoped his tone spoke that it hadn't been a good end for either himself or Kari.
 
“...I usually make it a personal rule never to ask more than one question regarding a painful matter. But if I could ask one more question and then leave it alone… was she worth having your heart broken?”
 
Had someone else asked TK that question a long time ago, he'd have outright said that it wasn't - the pain from it was why he vowed never to fall in love again. But now, though… now the answer was different.
 
“I don't know.”
 
“...Well I give you my word, we never had this conversation. And I won't talk to anyone else about it. But personally, I think a nice, good-looking kid like yourself shouldn't let himself be alone for the rest of his life. Least that's what I think anyway. ...I just remembered, I want to grab some mochi before I get back to the office. You take care, TK.” And Toshinori turned around and walked away.
 
“See you, boss.” TK looked at Kari's picture again for a long while, and then carefully put it back into his wallet and resumed walking home. He told himself that now wasn't the time to think about the past; he had an assignment and he needed to do some prep research before tonight, not to mention talk to his roommates and check on his drummer. ~I'm starting to think I should have put off my homework until today - that would give me something more serious to focus on. Oh well… maybe I'll throw in Borderlands 2, I still need to level up my Technomancer.~
 
By the time he got back to his apartment, Shuichi was out doing the shopping, while Fumikage was finishing vacuuming the living room. Shutting said vacuum off, Fumikage began coiling up the cord. “How was your breakfast out?”
 
“Very good; ran into my boss from my freelance job and he joined us along with an old friend of my mom's who used to babysit me as a kid.”
 
“Talk about unexpected.”
 
“Yeah, but I got a new writing assignment. Uh, are you free tonight?”
 
“No real plans. Why do you ask?”
 
“My boss asked me to write about the White Cat.”
 
Fumikage turned away from the closet he was putting the vacuum into. “Oh?”
 
“Well it turns out my mom's friend is also an old friend of my boss… and she's… the owner of the White Cat.”
 
Fumikage raised a curious eyebrow. “You once mentioned your mother tried setting you up on blind dates. Is this-?”
 
“No, nothing of the sort. Just a very miraculous and strange coincidence. So I'm going to the White Cat tonight, and I'd like some back-up.”
 
“Very well; I like the club, though not the name-.”
 
“So you've said. When Shuichi gets back I'll ask him if he can come, too. After all, we've discussed going after mid-terms. I'll be in my room, I need to do some research for this assignment, and maybe do some gaming.”
 
“...Are you okay? Something seems off about you.”
 
“I'm fine, just some old memories came back on the way home. And no, I'd rather not talk about it. It's very complicated.”
 
“As you wish. I'm going over to see how Luffy's doing.”
 
“Great, now I don't have to call him. Tell him we might be getting a gig at the White Cat in the future, Robin mentioned an amateur night for bands she'll be having.”
 
Swapping his house slippers for shoes, Fumikage replied, “Consider it done.” ~I'll also grab some taiyaki on the way back from the campus bakery. I sense it might help perk TK's mood a little, plus I forgot to add that to my list before Shuichi left.~ He then left the apartment but then caught sight of a familiar acquaintance down the hall also leaving an apartment. “Uramecha?”
 
Kou looked up from the door. “Tokoyami. Didn't know you lived here.”
 
“Yes, with two roommate friends. And you?”
 
Kou thumbed back at the apartment door he had left from. “My cousin Cherise lives here with two roommates of her own. I came over to make them breakfast and stayed a bit longer than I planned. Now I have to get home and work on my laundry.”
 
“I'm heading out to visit another friend who isn't in good health at the moment - summer cold. Do you work tonight?”
 
“Yep, the usual time.”
 
They walked down to the stairwell. “My roommates and I will be there tonight, or at least myself and one roommate. It will be his first time visiting.”
 
“Cool. If I'm not in the security room tonight, maybe you can introduce him to me. Heck, Cherise's one roommate is one of our bartenders. Maybe I can introduce her to you guys.”
 
“We shall see.” Once they left the building, the two said their farewells and parts ways, Kou leaving for town and Fumikage heading for the campus as Luffy still lived in the dorms. However, sometime afterward Kou felt his phone vibrate and took it out of his pocket to see a text from his boss. “Hmmm? `Son of an old friend coming to the club, is writing an article on us for his magazine. Details to follow.' Wonder what this is about?” Kou then lifted his gaze and saw Kari approaching him. ~She must have finished her shopping.~ “Hey, Hika. Need a few extra hands?”
 
“Thanks, but I'm good. Not my first rodeo. Appreciate the thought.”
 
“Anytime. Say, you get a message from the boss about a visitor to the club?”
 
“Can't say I have. Hold on, maybe I didn't feel my phone's vibration…” Setting down some bags to free her one hand, Kari took out her phone and sure enough there was a message from Robin. She read it and shrugged. “So we're going to have a writer give us an unbiased review. That should help get what's left of the bad publicity that jerk Fukuyama forced on us.”
 
“Maybe. Though I wonder who this son of a friend is. Robin-san's very tight-lipped about her connections.”
 
“Well that's none of my business, but if you wanna dig deeper, you go ahead, just leave me out of it.”
 
“Fair enough, I've dug my own grave occasionally. Saves Cherise the trouble.”

“Hahahaha! ...I'll tell her you said that.”
 
“Meh, whatever. I'll see you at the club.”
 
 
“So take a look at me now, `cause there's just an empty space… and there's nothing left here to remind me, just a memory of your face. Ooh, take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space, and you coming back to me is against the odds, and that's what I've got to face...” Lyrics from “Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)” by Phil Collins
 
 
Kari checked her mirror's reflection to make sure her work outfit was proper - as the bartender she wore black slacks and shoes, a glittery black vest and a white buttoned shirt plus a black bow tie. Nothing about the outfit screamed “sexy” but it did say “classy” and “respectful.” Satisfied with her appearance, she smiled and left her bedroom.
 
“Looking sharp,” Akaya commented with a smile while looking at Kari from their couch. She was watching TV.
 
“Thank you,” Kari replied happily while grabbing her cell phone and wallet. Unlike most girls, she used a pocket-sized wallet that fit into the back pocket like a man's wallet when she worked her job - a tip from her senior bartender Ms. King (purses were a bit easier to swipe when no one was watching).
 
Ayaka then noted the time. “It's only 7:25; how come you're going early?”
 
“Some reporter or writer is going to come by the club later tonight to interview select staff for a piece his magazine will publish on the club; a son of an old friend of Robin-san's. Not everyone will meet or talk to him, but she'll give the details before we open, and I feel like getting there early to not miss anything.”
 
“I take it this interview is to try and debunk-?”
 
“Bingo.” Grabbing a chilled bottled water from the fridge, Kari then picked up her key. “Well, I'm off. Tell Cherise when she gets out of the shower I'll see you two in the morning.”
 
“Have fun!” Waiting until Kari left, Ayaka then took out her cell and began texting.
 
Humming to herself, Kari walked to the stairwell and proceeded down the stairs and then out of the building to begin her trek to work. Sometimes she'd take the bus, but tonight she felt like walking; it was a cool evening and she felt like adding to her daily exercise.
 
Meanwhile, in his shared apartment, TK was busy at his laptop doing research on the White Cat. He had been busy with his research except for breaks for lunch and dinner, and some gaming on and off. Beside him on his desk was a tablet with ideas for questions as well as a short list of different staff to interview such as bouncers, the head of security, the DJ, the waitresses, the dancers/performers, and the bartenders.
 
~Problem is I probably shouldn't try asking questions in the club itself if the music is too loud. Maybe if I can talk to Robin, she can get me to do it in an office or some room that's comfortable to interview anyone. Shuichi and Fumikage can at least be in the club and have fun while I do this.~
 
Also on his pad were jotted ideas concerning the look and atmosphere of the club; not just for his article but also for his band to play at for amateur night. Luckily his band didn't do any sort of gimmicks, pyrotechnics and the like - that would make it easier to accommodate to any rules at the White Cat. All they would really need is access to electricity for their speakers and instruments and they would be all set.
 
TK then saw a message alert on his Skype app. Bringing the window up, he saw it was someone not on his contacts list, but the name caught his eye - “CourageousGoalie79.” Hesitating just a bit, TK clicked on the message and read it:

TK, that you? It's Taichi Yagami.
 
~Well that confirms it, but just to be safe…~ TK typed his response carefully: “How are things with you and your girlfriend Mimi?”
 
That's your brother's girl, buster - you know Sora's my main squeeze.
 
“Sorry, just making sure - had the answer been anything but what you wrote me, I'd know it was a faker. Can't be too careful with all those weirdos scamming and hacking just about everybody these days.”
 
Can't deny that. But I'm glad it's you, TK. How've you been?
 
“I'm good - doing research for an assignment for my freelance writing job.”
 
Cool. Did you get my email I sent over a year ago?
 
“Yes, I did - I'm happy for you and Sora.”
 
So are we. If you have time, she'll be here shortly and you can say hi to her, too.
 
While TK liked that idea - he had been meaning to talk to Sora for some time - suddenly he got an alert reminding him he needed to get ready for his trip to the White Cat. “Sorry, Tai, I'd love to but I need to get ready for my outing for my article. Give Big Sis my love, and we'll talk again later.”
 
I will. Take care, TK. Good to have you back, sorta.
 
~Wonder if he wanted to mention Kari?~ TK thought while closing every app on his laptop before shutting it down fully. Part of him wanted to ask about her as well, but he had hesitated; after all, Tai was as much a protective big brother as Matt. ~Well, maybe next time… yeah, keep telling yourself that, TK.~ And he got up from his desk and left the room. He went for the bathroom door but stopped when he heard Shuichi singing from the other side and figured Shuichi was in the shower. It looked like TK would have to wait before he could freshen up, but he still had plenty of time yet - the club didn't open until 8:30.
 
 
“Someday out of the blue, maybe years from now, or tomorrow night, I'll turn and I'll see you, as if we always knew…” Lyrics from “Someday Out of the Blue” by Elton John
 
 
Kari reached the front of the White Cat and, after showing her work ID to the bouncer stationed outside, she was allowed entry. Soon as she stepped inside, she heard Kou call her name and she approached him. “What's up?”
 
“Ready for another fun-filled night?”
 
“Always.”
 
“Hi, Hika!” “Hey, Heeks!”
 
Kari turned as two girls approached her. Both were waitresses and dancers - Camie Utsushimi and Mina Ashido. “Hello, girls.”

“Hey, Heeks,” Camie said. She was a nice girl with a killer body and semi-long hair that was a lighter shade than Kari's. “When are you going to stop bartending and join us up on the stage? You're missing all the fun.”
 
Rolling her eyes, Kari shook her head with a smile. “No thanks, I'm content staying off the stage.”
 
“But you'd be great up there,” Mina Ashido remarked. She had pink skin and wild pink hair, plus two small white horns on her forehead. Her eyes were black with small white irises. “You've helped some of the others with their dance moves, so you got what it takes to wow the customers.”
 
“I wow them plenty with my drink-mixing skills. But thanks anyway.”
 
“We're not going to give up, you know.”
 
“Neither am I. Besides, I'd prefer being scantily clothed for just one person and not a crowd. And no, I'm still single.”
 
“Girl someday we need to fix-.”
 
“Okay, ladies, let's call it here,” Kou then said, trying to break up the conversation before it went somewhere that really made Kari uncomfortable. She got along very well with Mina and Camie but he still looked out for his friend. “You two got the text from the bosslady, right?”
 
“Oh yeah, about some friend's son coming to write about the club. Hope he's not a perv like some of the guys who come here, like Mineta and his little group.” Mina shuddered at the thought of three guys from the campus.
 
“Yet one more reason why I don't get up on stage. And why you two don't do full stripteases when you're on the floor.”
 
“Good point. Well I hope the guy's a looker. I think three months off the dating scene is too long for me. Oh did you hear the boss is thinking about letting local bands come here for an amateur night soon?”
 
Mina's eyes widened in excitement. “Ohhhh, I'd love it if that were true, and we got the Nostalgia Brothers.”
 
“Who?” Kari asked, curious.
 
It was Kou who replied for the girls. “They're a local band that plays mostly 80's music, hence their name. Camie gave me one of their CDs for my last birthday, it's quite good. Remind me to loan it to you later.”
 
“We'll see. Anyway, I'd better get to the bar, I see King-sempai is waiting for me to help stock up for the night. Later, gang.” Kari overheard as Mina and Camie began gushing about the idea of the Nostalgia Brothers playing, and it made her smile a little. How nice it was to be carefree and gushing about guys… If she could, Kari would hang out with Camie and Mina more but Ayaka wasn't on good terms with the two (Ayaka said those two were too “free-spirited” or something like that). ~Now that I think about it, they once asked me to tag along with them to a concert for those Nostalgia guys I think some months back… but the gig was cancelled or something, plus I couldn't make it anyway as I had a big test around the same time I needed to study for.~
 
Shortly before opening, Robin called a staff meeting in the club and talked a little more about the pending visitor. “I want you all to give him your full cooperation, and expect him to respect everyone's boundaries. Now not everyone will get interviewed, so don't be upset if I don't approach you to be asked questions about the club, and don't go looking for him. What I plan to do is take him to my office to conduct the interviews so he'll have less background noise and both sides can hear each other properly.”
 
A hand shot up. “You mentioned this guy's the son of a friend of yours. How old is he?”
 
“Yes, his mother and I have been friends for years. As for his age, that's not important; don't go looking to find a date here, ladies.” A small collective “aawwww” rose up, but Robin called out, “Yes, yes, I know I'm a hard boss, but let's not go looking for love in the wrong place, girls.”
 
“Off topic,” Camie asked aloud, “what about the idea for letting in local bands-?”
 
“I just need to set a date. And so far I have one band who might be able to play for us - the Nostalgia Brothers.” Robin almost covered her ears when a loud squeal filled the room form about half of the girls. “Okay, settle ladies, settle!” She checked her watch. “It's 5 minutes to opening time. Let's get ready! Places! Oh, and remember-!”
 
“No playing on the job and no cell phones on the job!” Everyone stated loudly, making Robin smile. “No playing” meant no intimacy period, which were grounds for dismissal on the spot if anyone was caught.
 
“Thank you, kids!”
 
Kou stayed around while everyone else left to get ready. He approached Robin. “So, as co-head of security here, you want me to keep a lookout for this visitor?”
 
“You and the rest; I already showed a picture to the guys out front.” Robin pulled out her phone and brought up a picture to show Kou. “Took it this morning when we went out for breakfast together with his mother. And no, I didn't dare show it to any of the girls.”
 
Kou examined the pic carefully; the pic was of a young man with short blonde hair and blue eyes. “Good move, he'd likely be worth getting fired over. So what's his name?”
 
“It's-. Oh!” Robin stopped when her phone vibrated and showed an incoming call. Her eyes widened a bit at the caller ID. “Uh-oh, it's my mother.”
 
Recalling the last time Olvia Nico had visited, Kou quickly excused himself while Robin made for the back offices to accept the call. Besides, he knew he'd have to be ready for three certain college students who were not the best example of clean-minded, polite gentlemen…
 
The White Cat opened its doors only a few seconds after opening time, and a small yet steady flow of customers came in and went for either tables or to the bar. At the start of opening, the lights were dimmed and strobe lights came on, igniting the club's atmosphere as the club's DJ (Mika “Mic” Sounders) started up the music.
 
At the bar, Kari smiled as the DJ had opened with one of her favorites. She liked how the DJ alternated between Japanese and American music, though the American stuff was usually after two or three Japanese songs. Tonight, though, he opened with a Dutch dance pop song that was wildly popular back in the 90's - “We Like To Party (The Vengabus)” by the Vengaboys. She remembered Kou introducing the DJ to the song and it became a permanent part of the club's music lists.
 
“Hey, Kari, mind making my usual?” a random customer said aloud.
 
Following the voice to its owner, one of her regulars, Kari smiled back and winked. “Coming right up, Orga.” Grabbing a mixer, Kari chose two bottles of liquor before skillfully added the right amounts of each into her mixer, capping the mixer and proceeded to shake it up until she stopped, took a glass she filled with ice, then carefully emptied the mixer's contents into said glass and added a slice of lemon before serving. “How's that?”
 
“Girl, you know how I like it. Straw, please?”
 
Kari took out a straw from her apron and handed it to Orga, who thanked her and took to his drink, savoring each sip while Kari resumed waiting on customers. Soon, though, a space on the bar opened up (some of the earliest customers usually just stopped for a small/quick drink before heading home) and before she knew it Kari was facing three young men she knew well enough, and she lost some of her cheer. “Oh, it's you three.”
 
The three in question were Hanta Sero, a skinny guy with a bowl cut of black hair and a huge grin; Danki Kaminari, a blonde with a black lightning bolt streak on his left side of his semi-wild hair and a grin about on par with Sero's; and Minoru Mineta, a short boy with blackish-purple hair that almost looked like giant grapes, and the de facto leader of the trio. All three would be nice guys… if they weren't notorious for being perverts and skirt-chasers, that is.
 
“Is that any way to treat your customers, Yagami?” Kaminari asked slyly.
 
“You're only customers as long as you follow the rules and pay your tabs like everyone else does. Or do I need to call Kou out here again?”
 
“Tut-tut, my dear Hikari,” Mineta said calmly, resting an elbow on the bar's countertop. “We're simply doing our weekly ritual of celebrating another successful week of surviving college courses. And what better place to do that than here at this fine establishment.”
 
“Yeah,” Sero chimed in, “the cool music, the flashy lights-.”
 
“The hot girls,” Kaminari finished with a grin.
 
“Just remember what I said, AND Kou's warning to you three from last time,” Kari said in a no-nonsense tone. “Name your poison.”
 
All three simply said, grinning, “We'll each take a Tin Roof.”
 
Not amused in the slightest and letting her face show it, without a word Kari thumbed behind her and above. The trio looked to see where she was pointing at and saw a large framed sign that featured an enlarged photo of the Three Stooges from one of their shorts with a large message printed underneath that clearly read “Absolutely NO Tin Roofs!”
 
“The owner of this fine establishment as you so elegantly called, Mineta, is married to an American who is a longtime Three Stooges fan; and Robin-san knows that old gag quite well. So sorry, but no Tin Roofs; no drinks `on the house.' Get me?”
 
All three nodded with Mineta scowling and Kaminari muttering “Killjoy.”
 
“Told you it wouldn't work,” Sero muttered aloud over the music.
 
“Now for real, what'll it be?”
 
“...Three ice waters.”
 
Kari softened a bit. “You should have just said so in the beginning.” Like most places these days, ice water was free of charge for those who didn't feel like paying too much for anything else to drink, or were short on drinking money. Kari soon served their water glasses, adding a slice of lime in each. “Enjoy,” she said, though in her head she hoped they'd all choke on either the ice or limes. She then walked down to the other end of the bar.
 
Grabbing his glass, Kaminari fumed. “What Monoma sees in her I'll never know. She doesn't even go on stage here, far as I know.”
 
“No, she doesn't, not at all,” Sero added, lazily stirring his glass with a finger. “Our informant's reliable.”
 
“Shame, really… that tight body trapped underneath those bartender clothes. ...Where is Monoma, anyway?”
 
Neito Monoma, a blond young man with more “refined tastes” and a slightly haughty attitude, was an electronics major and classmate of the group as well as to Kari and her group of friends. Actually, he had followed Kari to the college from their senior year of high school - he refused to believe Kari's claim that she wasn't looking for a boyfriend at all and yet he did not appear pushy as he continued to try and court her. Secretly, he had jokingly promised to pay Mineta's group if they could gain any “juicy” details about Kari that Monoma hadn't already known about (and of far they had bupkis to show), though he knew well that Kari worked at the White Cat as a bartender.
 
“I think he said he was loaded with homework tonight,” Sero commented, putting a finger to his one cheek in thought. “The curse of his genius with technology, I think he commented.”
 
“Whatever.” Mineta then let his gaze wander… and then it locked onto something, or particularly someone. He frowned heavily. “I don't believe it! Look who's here, guys!”
 
Sero and Kaminari turned, and they were surprised - they and Mineta saw TK, Shuichi and Fumikage taken to a table almost a quarter away from the main stage. “Why are they here?” Kaminari asked, dumbfounded.
 
“Fumikage I'm not surprised, I've seen him here once before, but the other two?”

“At least it's not the whole damn band. But so far none of the girls know who they are-.”
 
“Uh, I think they're about to, Mineta,” Sero said, pointing.
 
As if on cue, a waitress (Camie) walked up to the table and showed her pad and pencil. “Hi, guys,” she said bubbly, “Welcome to the Club. First time here?”
 
Fumikage pointed at Shuichi and TK. “Them, yes; this is my third time.”
 
“Oh yeah, I recognize you now. So guys-.” Camie then looked at Shuichi hard, and then at TK. “Waiiiiit a second!” She pointed her pencil, eraser end first, to each of them in turn. “Where have I seen you two before?” She looked at Shuichi. “You especially.”
 
“Something wrong, Camie?” Mina asked, stopped after she had delivered some snacks to a different table. Suddenly, she jumped a little when Camie spoke up again while putting her hands to her face.
 
“Ohmygod! Oh-ma-gawd! You're from the Nostalgia Brothers!”
 
TK smirked. “Guilty as charged.”
 
Even Mina gave a tiny squeak of excitement that was drowned out mostly by the music. “I should have recognized you two sooner! You're Takaishi the keys player, and you're lead singer and lead guitarist Iguchi!”
 
“I'm Camie, and this is Mina - we are, like, amongst your biggest fans!”
 
“Cool, nice to meet you, ladies.” ~Maybe one of these two could be a decent date for TK later on.~
 
Camie turned her attention to Fumikage. “HOW do you know these guys?!”

“They're my roommates - we attend the college nearby.”

“Wow! So do we,” Mina replied, “so are you in the band, too?”

“Not quite - I'm a reserve member and unofficial vice-manager/roadie.”
 
“Hey, you two,” Another waitress said while passing by, “get back to work before you get scolded!”
 
“Eeep!” Mina bowed while blushing. “Gomen. Can I, uh, talk to you guys again later?”
 
“Sure,” TK replied first, “we'll be here a good while. But, uh, mind not letting it on we're here, please? We're a bit incognito tonight.”
 
“Oh! Gotcha!” Mina ran two fingers across her lips like she was pulling a zipper before she walked off.
 
“Can I start you guys off with drinks?” Camie asked, “or, like, my phone number?”
 
Laughing lightly, Shuichi replied “We'll start with drinks first, thanks. We like to take our time getting to know girls before we get any numbers. I'll have a Sprite Zero, or a regular Sprite if there's no Zero.”
 
“One regular, got it. Sorry, the only Zero we got is Coke Zero.”
 
“I'll take a Coke Zero,” Fumikage spoke up.
 
“Just a water with lemon and lime, please?” TK asked.
 
“Sure thing, cutie!”
 
“...I think she likes you, TK-.”

“Uh, Fumikage, please don't even start. Besides, she was also into Shuichi. Kinda strikes me as the easy girl type.”
 
“So we noticed,” Shuichi said, “still, you might want to at least try a date with her. Just saying.”
 
“Noted.” ~And ignored… Matt warned me about easy girls.~ TK then felt a gentle hand on his shoulder and turned to smile as Robin was now beside him.
 
“I see you boys got in without any problems.”
 
“We did indeed. Now let me introduce you…” TK stood up, as did the others. “Guys, this is Robin Nico, the owner of the club and a longtime family friend. She's like… a second mother to me-.”

“Oh please, TK, I'm more of an aunt than a mother.”
 
“Close enough for me. Robin, this is Shuichi Iguchi, roommate and lead player in our band as well as a music major.”
 
Shuichi gladly accepted Robin's hand and shook it heartily. “Ma'am, thanks for having us.”
 
“And this is Fumikage Tokoyami, our band's reservist as well as our roommate and an acting major.”
 
Fumikage shook Robin's hand with a smile. “I prefer Shakespearean theater, but I dabble in a few musicals as well.”
 
“Very nice. It's a pleasure to have you all here. I hope you two don't mind if I borrow TK for a good while for his assignment.”
 
“Not at all.”
 
“We'll be alright. Have fun, TK.”
 
Camie was just serving their drinks when Robin took TK's glass (she figured which was his easily) and led him away and towards the back of the club before she keyed in a passcode on an electronically-locked door and led TK through it. “One cannot have too much security in this establishment,” she commented as they made their way through the hallway. “Once the Club's open to the public, the locks turn on and only the staff have the codes.”
 
“Very nice,” TK thought, mentally filing this info away to see if that would make it into his review or not. “So, uh, where-?”

“My office - better lighting and much quieter.” Soon they reached said office and Robin led TK inside to show she had set up two chairs before her desk for the interviews. “Have a seat, I'll call the head of my security for your first interview.”
 
Not arguing at all, TK picked a chair on the left and sat in it, checking for his tools. He still had his pencil and notepad, plus he had his cell phone ready to record the interviews just in case. Robin set his glass on a coaster on a small side table that was in between the two chairs. He took a few quick sips, tasting the joint lemon-lime flavor of the water as it ran down his throat.
 
Seconds later, Kou entered the room. “You called, bosslady?”
 
“Yes, I did.” Robin waved to TK, who stood up and put out his hand to Kou. As they shook hands, Robin made the introductions. “This is Kou Uramecha, my head bouncer and head of security.”

“Uh, it's co-head of security, actually. I share that honor with the head bartender, Ms. King.”
 
“And this is my friend's son-.”

“TK Takaishi,” TK said while relaxing his grip on Kou's hand.
 
Kou, however, retained his grip, but not enough to cause any harm. “Did you say your name was TK Takaishi?”
 
“Yes-.”

“Takeru `TK' Takaishi, originally from Odaiba?”
 
“Uh, yes?”
 
Kou stared at TK, almost as if in shock. ~HOLY SHIT!~ Slowly he released TK's hand and took a step back to the still-opened doorway. “If you'll just, uh, excuse me for a moment…” and he left the room. Robin and TK then heard his retreating footsteps quicken. ~Holy shit, it's him! I gotta get Hika!~
 
TK, blinking once, turned himself to look at Robin. “What was that about?”
 
“I… don't know…”
 
Kou kept mentally repeating “Holy shit” in his mind as he raced back out into the club, almost startling a few customers doing so as he turned to the bar and made his way through the crowds to get there. His eyes found Kari who had finished serving a customer and had then said something to King before she moved for the one end of the bar that had the opening to allow bartenders to go in and out freely. She had just left from behind the bar when Kou took her arm and made her turn with a jerk. “Kou-! You startled me-.”
 
“You on break?”

“Yes, I am-. Whoa!”
 
“Come with me, now,” was all Kou said as he pushed his way back to the door he had entered the club from earlier.
 
“Kou, what the heck?!”
 
“Excuse us, coming through! We have to get this plutonium back to the labs quickly! Thank you very much!” Upon reaching the door, Kou fumbled his passcode once before he got the door unlocked and pulled Kari inside.
 
“Kou, seriously, let me go!”
 
“Kari, trust me, you'll be thanking me later.” He reached the door to Robin's office and stepped into view yet held Kari just out of sight. “Sorry about that, but I think there's someone else who should talk to you first.” And Kou sidestepped while pulling Kari into the doorway.
 
Having enough, Kari yanked her arm free from Kou's grip and exclaimed, “If you weren't my roommate's cousin, Kou, I'd-!” She stopped when she noticed the person other than Robin inside the office, and locked eyes onto him. She took in his hair and his eyes, eyes that seemed to doubt what they showed him yet she recognized how those blue eyes seemed to draw her into them.
 
TK, in turn, found himself unable to tear his vision away from the girl before him. Shocked, he let his pencil and pad drop from his fingers. There wasn't any doubt - the hair was slightly longer, but without a doubt he recognized it along with those brown eyes, those eyes he last saw fighting back tears of bitter regret and shame...
 
After five years, six months, and seventeen days since their darkest moment… Takeru “TK” Takaishi and Hikari “Kari” Yagami met again.
 
 
And now that we have found each other, can't we give it one more try?” - Lyrics from “One More Try” by Timmy T
 
 
To Be Continued...
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
Hello, everyone.
 
I hope you're enjoying this joint story between myself and TheUNB. I bet some of you are asking “Why are you using snippets of songs here and there?” Well, I wanted to try something new in transitioning from one scene to another. And given the way this story is flowing, I felt using lyrics from certain songs I like, and especially feel connected to the story and the feelings of the characters within. Hopefully you like my song picks. If not, that's fine. If you're curious about these songs, look them up on YouTube.
 
Big thanks to TheUNB for co-writing this story.
 
As I said in my notes from part 1, more characters from outside of DIGIMON are popping up:
 
Toshinori (AKA All Might), Mina, Camie, Mineta, Kaminari, Seo, and Monoma are from MY HERO ACADEMIA; Robin (and the mentioned Luffy) are from ONE PIECE, and I threw in cameos of Orga from GUNDAM: IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS and King from ART OF FIGHTING and KING OF FIGHTERS.
 
There's more to come, and I'll do my best to point them out.
 
The conversation regarding DRAGONBALL and the Androids/Cell Saga's plot changes as the story was progressing is mainly true. There's a video on YouTube that's about the rise and fall of BLEACH, and the maker of said video used that as an example of good/healthy relationships between a mangakata and his editors. I suggest checking the video out, it's a good one.
 
So, what happens now between TK and Kari now that they've finally reunited? …You'll have to simply wait until I post part 3. *Ducks several flying objects* Yes, you hate me AND you hate the suspense. But please, be patient.
 
Thank you for reading this tale. Please read and review (and be kind in said reviews, even if you didn't like it). Part 3 will come soon.
 
Ja ne! -Robster80 (R80)