Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake ❯ Part 5 - Slowly Yet Surely ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake
Part 5 - Slowly Yet Surely
 
By Robster80 (R80)
Co-Written by TheUNB
 
WARNING: This story is for 18 or older readers! There's foul language, and sexual content. The latter won't be in every chapter, but there will be in a few of them. If you are under 18, PLEASE stop reading right now and turn back!
You have been warned.
 
DISCALIMER: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT own any of the characters in this story! This is FANFICTION, so this is written for fun, not profit! I don't even own the songs or the matching lyrics to said songs used as chapter breaks
 
Previously - After over 5 years of separation after a bitter break-up, TK and Kari met once more, and after an apology from Kari, the two agreed to start anew as friends. Natsuko Takaishi arrived the next morning after a phone call from Robin, and she spoke with TK, Kou, and Kari respectively over the matter - she was willing to let TK and Kari pick up the pieces but warned Kari that she still had to earn back any trust. Meanwhile, Cherise spoke with TK after Ayaka voiced that TK might be plotting revenge on Kari, but Cherise was assured by TK that Ayaka's suspicions were indeed false. It seemed Kari and TK were on the right track…
 
“The two of us are one of a kind, our combination ain't easy to find.” Lyrics from “What Does It Take” by Honeymoon Suite
 
The weekend was over before anyone knew it and it was back to classes and homework. However, things felt different for both TK and Kari after that particular weekend. After all, the two had reunited after over 5 years of separation; and now they were friends once more.
 
After the talk with Natsuko and her mother on Sunday, Kari returned and she and TK had lunch as he had suggested, allowing them to really catch up with each other. After that the two did their own things before Kari had her next work shift while TK went back to the White Cat to conduct more interviews for his article. Before she worked, though, Kari contacted her brother Tai, letting him and Sora know she and TK had found each other again and were on the slow process of mending their relationship. Needless to say, Tai and Sora were thrilled (Tai much later texted Kari that Sora actually cried a good while from the news), and gave Kari their best wishes.
 
By Noon, TK had finished his only class for the day and was now at the campus cafeteria getting his lunch. Shuichi and Fumikage both had classes at the moment, so TK was by himself, though he hoped that his two other friends and bandmates, Luffy D. Monkey and Noriaki Kakyoin, would find and join him to eat; Fumikage had said that Luffy was almost over his cold, due to constant visits and lots of soup and supervision from his girlfriend Nami Hayabusa.
 
~Today's special - tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches,~ TK thought while the server handed out lunch. ~Usually that course is on Fridays. I guess with the weather cooling the cooks decided to change up the menu schedules a little.~ Adding a small bowl of side salad to his tray, TK then moved to the drink dispenser and grabbed a glass each of grape juice and water before he went to find a table.
 
“Yo, Takaishi!” He heard on his left; he didn't look as he knew who was calling to him - Denki Kaminari. “Have a real good time at The White Cat this weekend?”
 
“Yeah,” Mineru Mineta added smugly, “we saw you there two nights in a row.”
 
~Like I need to explain myself to you pervs,~ TK thought as he ignored the trio and moved further down to an empty table.
 
Kaminari made a “che” noise. “Guess he thinks he's too good to answer us.”
 
“I wanna know what he was doing there at the club,” Hanta Sero added.
 
“Had to be getting some on the downlow. There's no way he wasn't.” Mineta ate a bit of his lunch before he commented “It's always the quiet, unobvious ones you need to watch closely.”
 
“Why, Mineta, I didn't think you swung that way.”
 
Spitting out his drink, Mineta turned to glare at a young with cherry red hair passing by their table. “Screw you, Kakyoin!”
 
With a chuckle, Noriaki Kakyoin kept going but remarked, “So sorry, I'm straight.” He moved to the table TK was at and sat down next to him. “Hello, TK.”
 
“Hi, Kakyoin. How was your class?”
 
“Oh, the usual. Yours?”
 
“Not bad.”
 
“So tell me, what has the sleeze brothers talking about you behind your back for?”
 
Giving a dismissive shrug, TK simply replied, “Oh I was at the White Cat over the weekend working on a new assignment for Yagi-san. He's friends with the owner of the club; and so am I as she's a friend of my mother's.”
 
“Interesting. Meet any girls?”
 
“A few, yes-.”
 
“Pardon me, boys, may I join you?”
 
TK and Kakyoin looked up as Kari sat opposite from TK, a smile on her lips. “Hi, Kari-.”
 
“Hello, Yagami.”
 
Giggling after seeing the two exchange confused looks, Kari quickly explained. “Kakyoin and I have the same literature class, and a computer graphics & photoshop class; and TK and I are old friends who only recently reconnected. Now how do you two know each other?”
 
“Kakyoin is our bass player in the band.”
 
“Really? I thought there was more to you than your soft voice and handsome looks.”
 
Kakyoin gave a small laugh. “You and multiple girls, Yagami. However, I still have yet to find someone who really sparks something within me. It's the same with TK here.”
 
“I have my reasons, like you do.”
 
“So how long have you two known each other?”
 
“Since we were 8.”
 
“That's quite a long time. Have you two… dated?”
 
“We did, yes.”
 
“But I made some mistakes and we broke up.”
 
“Then I moved and we haven't seen each other since then, until two nights ago.”
 
“And now we're trying to at least mend our friendship.”
 
Kakyoin raised an eyebrow. “Seems like you already have, the way you both talk and take turns doing it. I take it you two were best friends.”
 
TK and Kari merely nodded, while they both had mouthfuls of food.
 
“Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both - you two strike me as good people.”
 
~If you only knew what I did, though,~ Kari thought somewhat bitterly. She then decided to change subjects. “So, TK, how's your writing assignment coming along?”
 
“Well I think I got enough information after all those interviews at the club. Though I might need one more to be safe.”
 
“Got anyone particular in mind? Say… a bartender?”
 
TK smiled, a smile Kari knew very well that meant “Quit it, you mindreading tease” but in a playful way. “Maybe.”
 
“Hmm, perhaps I should leave you two alone-.”
 
“Knock it off, Kakyoin,” TK laughed, and the others joined him.
 
Kakyoin then stopped laughing when he noticed something, or rather someone looking their way. Said someone then saw he was noticed and looked away to quickly resume eating in a hasty manner. “Uh, I think we're being watched.”
 
Kari turned, and then frowned when she recognized whom had been watching. “Oh, it's Monoma.”
 
“That guy from the other night?”
 
“Yeah, TK. I'm guessing he's not too happy I'm over here with you.”
 
“He's not a stalker, is he?” asked Kakyoin, concerned.
 
“Not yet, but he's a somewhat persistent admirer. I've tried to tell him I'm not interested in him, or dating, but he refuses to accept it.”
 
“Is he a fighter?”
 
“No way - just a semi-rich brat that knows how to work machinery.”
 
“So… he could make robots to send after anyone he dislikes?” Kakyoin asked.
 
“Wouldn't be surprised.”
 
“Personally I'd be more concerned about the insult to the Three Stooges across the hall,” TK commented.
 
“You mean Mineta and his two buddies?” Kari asked. “Yeah, they frequent the club, and love to annoy me. Kou's already got his eye on them, looking for a valid excuse to kick them out of the club for good.”
 
TK smirked. “I'm liking Kou more and more. So, any more classes today, Kari?”
 
“Just one,” Kakyoin replied for her, “one of the two we share - women's literature.”
 
“You taking any literature classes, TK?”
 
“Children's. It's interesting so far. I get to write a story or two here and there for it, plus we read and share books on certain subjects - fantasy, historical fiction, etc. I have it Tuesdays and Thursdays, along with Intro to Film.”
 
At this Kakyoin spoke up quickly. “And they're allowed to bring dates, as long as the teacher approves first, AND they don't do anything naughty during the film itself.”
 
“T-TMI,” Kari and TK both mutter.
 
“You two are definitely friends.”
 
“Speaking of friends, have you seen Luffy yet today?” TK faced Kari. “That's our drummer.”
 
“I did see him, yes, but Nami's with him. I overheard her say after his class they'd go back to the dorms and eat lunch there. Seems she's not taking any chances of him slipping on taking his cold medication.”
 
“And to think I assumed she only cared about money and mikans.”
 
“I think a healthy sex life with her boyfriend is also in the mix.”
 
“I see…” was all Kari said.
 
TK had finished his meal and downed the last of his drinks. “Well, I'm finished with classes for the rest of today, so I think I'll head back to my place and get back to working on my article.”
 
“Only one class on Mondays?”
 
“Yes, but the rest of the week I have 2 classes daily; my one class can only be held Wednesdays and Fridays as the teacher also has a job at another school on Mondays. Usually I work Monday evenings at my game store job but today it's closed due to the boss dealing with a family emergency.”
 
“Say, TK, you think sometime I can hear you play piano or keyboard?”
 
“Sure thing, Kari. Actually, I need to speak to the one professor at the music hall about borrowing one of the piano rooms this week. I like to practice on an actual piano on occasion. I'll let you know when I'll be using it.”
 
“It's an outing.”
 
“...Don't you mean a date, Yagami?” Kakyoin asked after TK had left the table.
 
“One step at a time, Kakyoin. And baby steps. ...I'm not losing him again.
 
All I made was one mistake. How much more do I have to pay?” Lyrics from “Second Chance” by 38 Special
 
Soon as TK returned to the apartment building, he went to his room and turned on his computer to get back to his writing. Digging out his notes, he heard his email alert go off and opened his inbox - there was an email from his brother, with no subject header. ~Bet I know what this is about,~ TK thought as he clicked the email to open it and began to read.
 
“Hey, Little Bro.
 
Sora and Tai wrote me and the others, letting us know you and Kari are at the same school and have started over. You knew how I felt after she hurt you, but what you don't know is, after a few years, while you and mom were in America's west coast, I finally let go of my anger and talked to Kari. I even offered her to give her your contact info - she turned me down, believe it or not. She said she wanted to leave you alone and hope you got over her and were happy.
 
She was lying a bit, I know, but it was her choice and I figured `hey, maybe she'll change her mind.' But she never did. Guess she was punishing herself for losing you.
 
I talked to mom, too - she told me this was your life and you need to make your own way, but I can tell she's worried about you. So am I, but the fact Kari asked to start over as friends, that makes me really believe she's trying genuinely to make up for what happened. Mimi agrees (Meems says Hi by the way), and she's keeping her fingers crossed for you and Kari.
 
Florida's alright, but I cannot wait to come home. But I gotta say the Kennedy Space Center is awesome. Bad news, though - they don't sell freeze-dried pizzas anymore, so I can't bring some home with me.
 
Hope your studies are going well, and also the band. Maybe you can show off your piano skills to Kari sometime?
 
Will let you know when I'm back in Japan. I miss you, bro.
 
Tell Kari I said hello, and good luck to you both.
 
-Matt”
 
Smiling warmly, TK saved the message. “Thanks, big brother.” He brought up Google Docs and started to work when he got a message from Skype. ~Okay, now who?~ Opening the app, he saw a new message from another user not on his contact list, but the name “LuvFlowersNTennis” gave him a huge hint as he opened the message.
 
Hi, TK. It's Sora.
 
He typed back. “Hello. So, which one said they loved you first - Tai or Matt?”
 
Neither, smartass - it was you when you were only 8.” A second reply came promptly, which read “Tai warned me how you tested him.
 
“Can't blame me for being cautious. So how are you, big sis?”
 
Doing fine, but I'm more concerned about you. Everything okay since Saturday night?
 
“So far, so good. I just had lunch with Kari, plus one of my friends and bandmates who happens to be in one of Kari's literature classes.”
 
Possible boyfriend for her?
 
“Ha ha! No - they're just friends. Plus I know Kakyoin isn't looking for a gal right now, mainly because he gets as much female fans like our lead guitarist and singer Shuichi does.”
 
Whoa, back up, little man - you're in a band?!
 
~Tai should have-. Wait, did I tell him?~ TK quickly checked his conversation with Tai before he went back to talking to Sora. “Guess I forgot to mention that to Tai when we chatted briefly. Yes, I'm in a band called the Nostalgia Brothers. I play keyboard/piano, and occasionally lead guitar when Shuichi can't sing and play at the same time on certain songs.”
 
What does Matt have to say about it?
 
“Typical Matt - he called me a copycat at first until I said I was mainly the keys player, then he said `oh, well that's different.'”
 
LOL!
 
“I just got an email from him. He's…” TK paused, trying to find the right words. “He's understanding about Kari and me being friends again.”
 
That's good. I was surprised he didn't flip when Tai and I told him via Skype's video chat the other day.
 
~Good to see his own anger management worked out well,~ TK thought. He started to type when Sora wrote back swiftly:
 
I am sorry, TK.
 
“...” TK replied “Is this about what you made her do with Tai?”
 
Yes. That was all on me.
 
“Sora, that was only half of the problem.”
 
But TK, I blackmailed her into it, all of it. Kari never told you that, did she?
 
“She did, yes.”
 
She tell you what I had on her, though?” TK was about to reply but Sora quickly sent another message, one that took him by surprise:
 
I told her if she didn't do as I asked, I'd tell you about her other `dirty deed.' I only found out when Iori confided in me what happened.
 
“Whoa,” TK muttered to himself before he wrote his response. “Iori told you?”
 
It was troubling for him, keeping it a secret. I guess he came to me as I was the unofficial `mother' of the group. He wanted to tell you, but I told him that would be a big mistake. He felt a little better after he had told me what happened, and I promised to keep it to myself… that is, until my own sex drive got the best of me and I used what Iori told to make Kari carry out my idea. She never knew Iori told me, though; I sorta… tricked her into confessing what she did and from there I hung it over her head until she agreed to do what I wanted.
 
“Kari mentioned this theory, and now I'm thinking maybe she might have been right - maybe that certain enemy who soundly beat us and left us alive after our first battle with him did something to us all. Something that lasted until we ended the long fight and then went away.”
 
Are you saying what I think you're saying TK?
 
“That he briefly made our own sexual appetites get the better of our so-called mature judgments. It's just possible.”
 
It might explain a few things. Like how some time after `he' was gone I started losing interest in being bi-sexual. Kari, Mimi, and Miyako were the same way. Though with Kari and Miyako I think the guilt over their flings might have been a bigger factor.
 
“At least the bi-thing didn't affect us guys.”
 
True. Though sometimes I wonder how it would have been if I had your brother and Tai with me for one wild night.
 
“For the sake of my brother and your boyfriend, and my own sanity, I'm deleting this conversation when we're done and forgetting you ever bringing that clusterfuck up. Pardon my language.”
 
You're forgiven, and frankly that sounds like a good idea, deleting this conversation.
 
“Thanks, Sora. I hate to cut this off now, but I have a writing assignment I really should get back to working on, Plus I need to make a phone call.” ~Almost forgot I need to ask about the piano room.~
 
Okay, TK. It was good catching up with you.
 
“Same with you, Sora. You take care and I'll catch you later sometime.”
 
I'd like that. Oh and TK?
 
“Yes?”
 
This is overdue but… thank you. For turning that one time down. Even though it led to you and Kari splitting up, you did the right thing refusing me. Most of all, I'm sorry for what I almost did.
 
This made TK smile, but in a sad way. Of course, what he never told anyone was that it had been tempting to have a threesome with Sora and Mimi… but he had been dedicated to Kari, and that dedication (and his conscience) proved stronger in the end. “That's in the dim dark past now, big sis; we should put it behind us. I'll see you, Sora.” TK paused before he sent the message, and then quickly added. “Love you, sis.”
 
Love you, too, kiddo.
 
Still smiling, but with less sadness now, TK picked up his cell and dialed a number.
 
Yohohoho! Hello?
 
“Professor Brooke, It's TK Takaishi.”
 
TK, my boy! How are you? I'm guessing you would like to rent a piano room again?
 
“You know me very well, Professor. How does this week look?”
 
I'm afraid there's only one opening, and it's today at 5:30 - you can have the room for an hour before it's needed for one of the music majors. Will that suffice?
 
“Well, I have a clear schedule except for a writing assignment for Yagi-san. When should I come pick up the key?”
 
Anytime after 5:15, my boy. Just meet me outside the music hall's main entrance and I'll give it to you.
 
“Cool. Oh, and if I can, can I bring a friend with me?”
 
Oh-ho? Is it a girl?
 
“Y-yeah, my best friend from years back. We only reconnected recently and she wants to see me play.”
 
I don't see the harm, provided you both obey the rules, of course.
 
“Yes, sir, we will. Thank you, sir.”
 
You're most welcome. Yohohoho!

TK then ended the call and brought up Kari's number before he wrote her a text asking if she would be available at 5:15 for an hour. Once he finished, he went to work on his article. It was over ninety minutes before his phone alerted him to a new message and he saw Kari's reply:
 
Sure thing - dinner afterwards?
 
He replied “Ouch, leggo of my arm. Dinner afterwards it is.”
 
Knock, knock!
 
Quickly erasing his chat with Sora, TK called out “Come in!” Then he turned as the door opened. “Shuichi?”
 
“Just talked to Nami - Luffy, with any luck, will be back to somewhat normal by tomorrow at the earliest. We need to talk about band practice, especially if we'll be performing at the White Cat in the future.”
 
“You know me - as long as the homework's completely done, I'm good about anytime.”
 
“Cool. Say, if you want to invite Kari to watch us practice, I'm cool with it. I hear Kakyoin already knows her from one of the classes he takes.”
 
“Actually, I'll be bringing her with me to one of the piano rooms this evening, I already got permission to use one from Prof. Brooke so I can practice on the piano.”
 
“Pity the landlord won't let us practice here.”
 
“Some of our songs aren't exactly soft tunes, Shuichi.”

“I know. ...May I point out something?”
 
“What's that?”
 
“You seem… I dunno. Happier? Yeah, you've been happier a bit since you and Kari ran into each other on Saturday night.”
 
“...Yeah, I can see your point. Actually, I do feel, well, lighter since then.”
 
“Look, TK, I know it's personal concerning you and her… but if you ever wanna talk, I'm here for you. So's Fumikage.”
 
At the mention of his name, Fumikage stuck his head into view. “ONLY if TK wants to talk about it. If it's too personal-.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I said that already!”
 
“Look, guys, I do appreciate the offer, really… but I'm… not ready to talk about Kari and I just yet. She and I, we just want to take it slowly.” ~I'm sorry, guys, but the cold truth is I dunno how you'd take the real truth about Kari and me, and why we broke up.~
 
“Fair enough,” Fumikage replied, “and frankly I think what you two are doing is the correct path.”
 
“So I've been told.”
 
“How's your article coming along?” Shuichi asked, changing the subject.
 
“So far so good, but I might need one more interview for good measure. And since Kari works there-.”
 
“We get you. Well, we'll leave you to your writing. By the way, any requests for dinner?”
 
“Actually, Kari and I are going to have dinner after my piano practice. I hear tonight's menu at the cafeteria includes stroganoff.”
 
“Hope they ease up on the sour cream this time,” Shuichi commented as he closed the door.
 
Soon it was 5pm and TK left the dorms to meet Kari at the music hall's front entrance. He waited for her, but then…
 
“Hey, it's Takaishi!”
 
“Heya, guy!”
 
Turning, TK saw two girls approaching him; he recognized them right away as the girls/waitresses from the White Cat, though he had already forgotten their names.
“Oh, hi…”
 
“We saw you out here by the music hall,” Mina began.
 
“And wanted to see what you were up to,” Camie finished.
 
“Actually I'm waiting for-.”
 
“TK!”
 
~Saved!~ TK thought as Kari rushed up to him and the others. “Hi, Kari.”
 
“Sorry if I'm late. Hi, Mina, Camie. What are you two doing here?”
 
“Better question, what are YOU doing with Takaishi?” Camie shot back.
 
At that moment though, a man in a purple suit and sporting a black afro came out from the building. “Ah, TK, I see you've brought more than one friend, all of them female.”
 
“Hello Professor.”
 
Professor Brooke Hornsby laughed a bit while presenting a key to TK. “Here you go. Just slip it under my office door when your time is up, unless I come back by then.”

“Yes, sir.”
 
“Have fun, my boy. I`m off for dinner.” And Brooke left.
 
“What's going on?” Camie asked.
 
“Piano practice; I'm borrowing one of the piano rooms for it, and I promised Kari she could watch me.”
 
“HOW do you two know each other?” Mina asked, slightly annoyed. “We never did get an answer the other night.” ~Not to mention last night it was super busy and we didn't get a chance to talk to Kari much.~
 
Sighing a bit, Kari looked at TK, who was ready to open the doors to the music hall. “Is it alright if these two join us, TK? They won't likely quit until they get their answers.”
 
“...Only if they promise to behave,” was TK's answer before he opened the doors. “Follow me, girls.”
 
“Totes!” Camie said, smiling.
 
Seeing TK's confused expression, Mina replied, “Don't mind Camie, she's weird like that. And thanks for including us.”
 
“Just keep your hands to yourselves, please,” Kari warned. ~I really hope this doesn't get out of hand… or worse, bring back old, bad memories…~
 
The three girls followed TK inside and down two hallways before they reached a room marked with the same number on the key TK had, which he used to unlock the door and open it. Inside was a grand piano, ready and waiting. TK approached it, set some sheet music he'd brought onto the bench, and checked it thoroughly. “Good, I don't need to prep it.” Returning to the bench, he set his sheet music up and began sorting through it to pick his first song. As he did all this, Kari and the others found some chairs set aside and moved them so they could sit for TK's forthcoming practice.
 
“So you use the music hall to practice?” Mina asked, trying to start a new conversation.
 
“Yes, since the apartment building I live in doesn't allow such activities. I like to practice at least once or twice a week to keep my piano skills up to snuff.”
 
“But you play keyboard-.”
 
“Keyboards, synthesizers and pianos are pretty much the same thing with some technological differences,” Kari explained to Camie.
 
“Plus, I'll admit that playing a real piano is rather soothing,” TK added as he finally chose his first piece of music. He then stretched his arms and flexed his fingers for several seconds before he posed to begin playing. However, he turned his head to his audience, smiling a bit. “First piece… `Mandolin Rain' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range.” And he started to play.
 
“Never heard of this piece-.”

“Sssh!” Kari hissed as TK played; she hadn't heard the tune, either, but she wanted to focus on listening to the music and watch TK play with near expert form. He didn't sing, but he played, and it was indeed soothing.
 
After about a minute, Mina then got up from her chair and moved away to begin dancing, all on her own. Her moves were almost in the style of ballet dancing but with a few other moves as well. Camie and Kari found they had a hard time between watching TK play, listening to the music, and watching Mina; though Kari spent most of the time watching TK, a small smile on her lips.
 
When he finished, and Mina stopped dancing, Kari and Camie applauded them both as TK turned and noticed Mina was standing away from her chair. Seeing his slightly perplexed expression, Mina said quickly, “I'm a dancing major - I just love to dance.”
 
“If the guys weren't sleezes who wanted her to strip more than dance, she'd be on the stage more at the club,” Camie remarked.
 
“Hey, I do get a few requests to go back on stage and just dance; not all the guys have their minds in the gutter!”
 
“Very true.”

“Hika, butt out! ...What about you, Takaishi? You ever have your mind in the gutter?”
 
But TK ignored the question (to Kari's relief), instead going through his music to pick a new song to play. “How about… something a little more… upbeat.” He set his music up and looked over at Mina. “If you like to dance, then hopefully you'll love this number… it's an instrumental score from the movie version of Grease that was released on the deluxe CD version of the soundtrack.” And he began playing at a faster pace.
 
“Sayyyyyyy…” Mina said and she heard the music, tapping a foot at first. “I like this!”
 
“This was actually a combo of instruments,” TK explained while still playing, “piano, electric guitar, bass guitar, drums and cymbals, and a saxophone. It sounds much better than the piano alone.”
 
Mina started to dance, really letting loose. “Mmmmm, I definitely should look this track up!”
 
“Takaishi, you're an awesome pianist,” Camie cried out, moving a bit to the music in her seat.
 
“Hey, TK, maybe the next song after this could we hear some of your vocals?” Kari asked aloud.
 
“Sure, why not?” ~And I think I know just which one, too…~
 
A few minutes later, TK ended the song and Mina, somewhat out of breath, returned to her seat. “That was a hot one,” Mina said between breaths, “TK, you're really something.”
 
“Thank you, Mina. If the band needs a dancer, I'll put in a good word for you.”
 
“Ditto for us,” Kari added.
 
TK then moved the sheet music aside. “This next one's another slow one, and it's one I know by heart. See if you can guess it.” And he resumed playing.
 
“Hmmm, sounds familiar,” Kari began, listening hard to the soft music coming from TK's playing.
 
Mina shook her head. “Nope. Doesn't ring any bells.”
 
Suddenly Camie snapped her fingers. “Got it! It's `Candle on the Water' from the original Pete's Dragon movie. My folks are nuts about Disney films, especially those with hand-drawn animation in them.”
 
“Give the lady a man in the balcony, she got it!”
 
“Hey, TK, you're supposed to be singing!”
 
Stopping his playing, TK muttered “Whoops. Knew I forgot something. Okay, I got another song in mind for that. One sec.” After relaxing himself, TK began playing once more and began to sing after a few cords:
 
My name is Vernon James, and I live to the south of town. I work my window watching the women go round and round. Some people come here for love, some people come for fantasy. When 2 in the morning comes around, my baby comes around for me.
 
Someone come, come my someone, take the clouds from in my eyes, my one. I know that, sometime soon, one day we'll walk in the sun…
 
Another Bruce Hornsby song,” Camie hissed.
 
I think Mic plays this on occasion at the club,” Mina whispered.
 
Kari wasn't paying attention, except to TK's playing and singing… it seemed like Matt had been a bigger influence than Kari could ever have imagined.
 
I'm taking tickets, watching the men always looking down. Sometimes I feel like an animal in the zoo staring out. No one looks me in the eye, they save it for the girls inside. I don't much care what they see, I know she saves it all for me.
 
Those lyrics struck Kari, and her guilt came right back as she thought about both threesomes she had that didn't involve TK at all. Of course, TK likely didn't intend for his song to make Kari feel like she did now - he didn't even look her way when he sang it.
 
Someone come, come my someone, take the clouds from my eyes, my one. I know that, sometime soon, one day we'll walk in the sun…
 
TK then played on, seemingly lost in the music. After almost 30 seconds, he sang the final verse:
 
Some people come here for love, some come for curiosity. I know there will be a day, I know we'll figure out a way.
 
He then sang the chorus twice before, with a small period of piano playing, he finished with repeating “One day we'll walk in the sun” three times before he played several more chords and then stopped.
 
Mina and Camie clapped enthusiastically, while Kari clapped softly.
 
Turning to the girls, TK gave a short bow. “Thank you, ladies. Though if you don't mind I think I'll take a breather for a moment, let my fingers rest some.”
 
“No arguments here.”
 
“Kari, you okay?”
“Huh?” Kari looked at Camie.
 
“You looked zoned out there for a moment.”

“O-oh, sorry… guess I got swept away by the music.”
 
Suddenly TK felt a vibration in his pants pocket and took out his phone. Seeing he had a text alert, he checked the message and frowned a bit. “Shoot.”
 
“What's the matter, TK?”
 
“Hate to end it here, girls, but the band's having an impromptu dinner meeting per our manager, and I need to get going, now.” And he began to gather up his music.
 
“Now?!” Mina repeated.
 
“Blame Nami, our drummer's girlfriend - she's the official manager of the group.” TK looked at Kari especially. “Sorry, looks like we'll have to reschedule dinner together for another time.”
 
Ignoring the stares she was getting from Mina and Camie, Kari got up and approached TK. “It's okay - I'll text you my schedule for this week and maybe we can plan later on for dinner.”
 
“Sounds good. You three better go on without me, I need to refill the water before I leave or else I'll catch heck from the teachers.”
 
“Okay. C'mon, you two.” Kari led the others out of the room and, shortly after, back outside. Then, Kari found Camie and Mina in front of her. “What-?”
 
“Dinner with Takaishi?”
 
“Just how close are you two, huh?”
 
“I told you, we've been friends for years who only recently hooked back up after over 5 years of being apart.”
 
“Sounds like you're more than friends, though,” Camie pointed out, “and that last song did something to you, I can tell.”

“Yeah, you seemed… sad.”
 
After a heavy sigh, Kari asked, “You two won't leave me alone until you get the whole story I take it? ...Fine. Let's go back to my place - Cherise and Akaya will be out for a while, or at least Ayaka will be as she has a night class tonight after dinner.” ~If Cherise is there, she can at least back me up since she already knows everything.~ “But first, you both need to swear that whatever I tell you will never, EVER be repeated to anyone! If you don't, then no matter how much you bug me about it, I won't talk.”
 
Mina held up her right hand and used her left one to cross over her heart. “Cross my heart, hope to die!”
 
Camie, however, put her hand over her heart and crossed her eyes before giving her own oath: “Spider, snakes and a lizard's head, if I tattle-tale I'll die till I'm dead!” The girls looked at her funny and she shrugged, uncrossing her eyes. “Told you my parents were big Disney animation nuts; I got that oath from Disney's take on Robin hood.”
 
“Whatever,” Kari replied, “let's just grab something to go and head back to my place. And keep your eyes open for the pervy trio and especially Monoma!”
 
“Good call. Say, how about pizza? I know Pizza-Hut delivers to the campus, plus we can go for their $5 plus menu if I order through their app for us.”
 
“No mushrooms, please,” Camie pleaded calmly.
 
“Okay, fine, but we split the bill.” And Kari led her group away from the music hall. Shortly after they had gone, TK emerged from the building and headed out for his meeting with his band.
 
“They say time is a healer, and now my wounds are not the same.” Lyrics from “No Son of Mine” by Genesis
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Notes:
 
Hello, everyone.
 
This chapter is shorter than the previous ones. I apologize if doesn't meet your standards or expectations. However, I believe it was for the best as far as pacing went.
 
Not as many new characters show up this chapter: Kakyoin from JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE: STARDUST CRUSADERS, and Brooke and Nami from ONE PIECE.
 
The next 2 chapters will focus on the backstories of both TK and Kari respectively - I know I've hammered it about their past, but now you'll see it fleshed out more.
 
Thank you for reading this tale. Please read and review (and be kind in said reviews, even if you didn't like it). Part 6 will come soon.
 
Ja ne! -Robster80 (R80)