Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake ❯ Part 11 - Let the Music Set You Free ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake
Part 11 - Let the Music Set You Free
 
By Robster80 (R80)
Co-Written by TheUNB
 
WARNING: This story is for 18 or older readers! There's foul language, and sexual content. The latter won't be in every chapter, but there will be in a few of them. If you are under 18, PLEASE stop reading right now and turn back!
You have been warned.
 
DISCALIMER: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT own any of the characters in this story! This is FANFICTION, so this is written for fun, not profit! I don't even own the songs or the matching lyrics to said songs used as chapter breaks
 
Previously - The night of the Bi Nyte dance at the White Cat finally arrived. However, Kari's plans involving getting a rise out of TK with her performance goes wrong mainly due to Ayaka's interference with TK; instead of seeing what Kari wanted to see if they still had that spark, TK was tricked into thinking/believing Kari wanted Kou more, that she never wanted him at all. Ayaka's plan worked as TK left the club once the performance was over and shut himself from everyone in his room, leaving a concerned Shuichi to call Nami, who decided their band should practice sooner the next day instead of the original time. The next day TK shut Kari out and had an altercation with Kou, the latter leaving TK with heated yet sensible words concerning his conflicting feelings, and begging the question of what TK really wanted from Kari at all…
 
“Look at us now… look at us, baby… still trying to work it out, never get it right…” Lyrics from “How Can We Be Lovers” by Michael Bolton
 
Nami looked up as TK walked into the music room; everyone else had arrived early or on time and the instruments were ready and waiting. “You're late,” Nami said to him, but not in her usual angry tone.
 
“Then I'll stay late after school,” TK retorted. “So what are we working on?”
 
Sero then approached TK. “Before we do any practicing… I need to get a few things off my chest first. And if it means afterward you guys want me gone, I'll accept it.”
 
“What're you talking about, Sero?”

“He means, Kakyoin,” Shuichi spoke up while moving to Sero's side, “is that he admits to some things none of us knew about until he talked to me last night… including things about you and Yagami, TK. And Yukihiro.”
 
“That bitch is not Yagami's friend no matter what she claims - I don't know the full story, but seems Yukihiro turned against Yagami silently after hearing a bit about you and Yagami's break up from years back. And since then she was feeding info on Yagami to Neito Monoma, who also fed it to Mineta, Kaminari and myself as he thought we could be useful to get Yagami for himself. And last night at the club, Yukihiro played you for a sucker-.”
 
“And how do you know all this?”

Sero snorted in a disgusted manner. “Because she bragged about it all to Monoma, who in turn bragged about it to the others and I found out through them. TK, Yukihiro's been trying to ruin whatever renewed friendship you and Yagami have. Why do you think she went to the White Cat, a place she normally refuses to set foot near due to her familial background? Why'd she buy you a martini? Why'd she start talking down about Yagami, her supposed friend?”
 
TK balled his hands into fists. “What the hell do you know about me and Kari? Nothing! That's what!”
 
“So enlighten us, TK,” Shuichi said in a demanding tone.
 
“It's none of your business, Shuichi! And you!” TK pointed at Nami. “You don't say a word!”
 
Nami held up a hand to Luffy, whom was about to snap at TK for talking to her like that. She said nothing, but eyed TK in a disappointed manner.
 
“What exactly is Yagami to you, anyway?” Kakyoin then asked.
 
“Drop it-.”

“No, I think it's finally time you said how you really feel about her. It was obvious to me since that day you, me, and her had lunch together that you and her had a deeper bond than friendship between the two of you… deeper than when you and her dated, am I right? You did tell me you dated her.”
 
“I DON'T KNOW, ALRIGHT?!” TK snapped loudly, “I JUST-! ...I just… don't know anymore…”
 
And then, Fumikage spoke up after being silent since the start. “You and Yagami were intimate when you dated, weren't you?” Instead of looking at TK, though, he looked to Nami for an answer… and he then said, “I thought so,” when Nami's look of surprise showed him just a hint of the truth.
 
The others looked at TK, who didn't confirm or deny Fumikage's observation. But when he averted his eyes from them, they knew...
 
“Dude,” was all Luffy could manage.
 
“...Shit no wonder you're hurting,” Sero managed, looking away and rubbing the back of his head.
 
Kakyoin said nothing, but he looked at TK as if to say “I knew you two were much closer than you appeared to be.”
 
“....And watching her last night, dancing with Kou… every old wound from her cheating on me came right open again.”
 
“...Does anybody else know about… your past?” Shuichi finally managed to say.
 
Nami raised her hand. “I do, since I made TK tell me everything.”
 
“Kou, Cherise… Ashido and Utsushimi… and Kazuma. I told him after he tried too hard to get me to meet his girlfriend and her friends, though back then I never dared think Kari was one of them. I didn't tell you guys…. Because I wasn't sure what you'd think if you knew the whole truth.” ~And you still don't know the whole thing…~ TK then turned to go.
 
“T-TK, where-?”

“Out. I need air… space…” And before anyone could stop him, he was out of the room.
 
“Well… shit, and two make eight,” Kakyoin said.
 
“...I'd better go, too,” Sero said, but Shuichi stopped him.
 
“Hold it.” Looking at Nami and the rest, Shuichi then said, “Maybe he did hide a few things, but given he told me last night, and then all of us today-.”
 
Luffy nodded. “Sero's okay with me.”
 
Nami then checked her watch. “Let's all discuss it over lunch. We're not going to be practicing anytime soon as it is now.”
 
“I got enough points for a free pizza, plus I'll buy extras if we want.”
 
Kakyoin smirked at Sero. “Still trying to butter us up, are we?”
 
“More like… more like maybe I want some real friends who aren't perverts 80% of the time.”
 
“Contact, is all that it takes... to change your life to lose your place in time. Contact, asleep or awake… coming around you may wake up to find… questions deep within your eyes… now more than ever, you realize…” Lyrics from “Love Walks In” by Van Halen
 
“Hey.”
 
TK stopped, but didn't turn around. “...Hey.”
 
Tai moved away from the wall he had been leaning against and moved to TK's one side. “Kari told me something was wrong, but she told me to stay out of it.”
 
“Yet here you are.”
 
“I'm her brother, I have to do something. Look… ever since you left her years ago, Kari's only ever wanted one thing in her whole life - to have you back, either as her friend, or better yet as the love of her life.”
 
“Does she even need me, though-?”
 
“That's bullshit and you know it. The way she apologized to you should have made it clear she needs you. Okay, so taking it slow was the right first step, I can't fault either of you for that. But I think it went from going slow to dragging your feet. You especially.”
 
“If you had seen her and Kou dancing together last night, Tai, you'd understand-.”
 
“Maybe, but I didn't need to because I spoke to both of them - and you're jumping to the wrong conclusion, TK. Kou only sees Kari as a friend, or at least like a sister, nothing more; it's just like you with Sora and Mimi. To Kari, you are always on her mind and in her heart; she can't let go of you. And I think it's the same for you.”
 
“Why's that?”
 
“Because if you really were pissed off about the damn dance act, you'd have told Kari it wasn't working out or some other shit like that, and left her truly heartbroken. Again. Yet you haven't.”
 
“Maybe I have yet to make up my mind.”
 
Tai crossed his arms. “I won't pretend to understand exactly how you feel, TK, but I've known you long enough to see, with or without my Crest, that you're afraid.”
 
TK turned away and opened his mouth wide for a mock laugh. “Ha! Afraid of what?”
 
“Either to get hurt again and have your heart broken so bad like before… or to lose Kari all over again. Or both. And that fear's why you started to drag your feet about her, maybe why your emotions are probably so jumbled together you can't really understand what you want when it comes to my little sister.
 
“Okay, so Kari made a bunch of mistakes during your original time together back in Odaiba. She wasn't the only one. We all felt like we understood what it meant to be adults ahead of our time, and we couldn't have been more wrong. ...But making mistakes is part of life, age notwithstanding; otherwise we wouldn't really learn anything at all. Time apart from each other made Sora and me realize exactly how our relationship should be, though it wasn't as bad as it was between you and my sister. But if I may be so bold, part of you still refuses to let go of her completely from the bottom of your heart. So maybe this will help somewhat.” Tai then took out a folded slip of paper and slapped it into TK's hand; it had TK's name written on the front.
 
“What's this?”
 
“The one thing nobody else, not even Kou, will ever have... only you.” And Tai walked away. “I gotta meet with Sora, she should have finished talking to Kari by now. We'll see you, brother.”
 
Watching him go for a moment, TK looked at the paper in his hand. Should he just throw it away? No, he might as well read it first and then decide to pitch it or not. And so he opened it, and inside were three signatures at the very bottom - from Tai and each of his parents. There was a short message above the signatures:
 
You have our blessings.
 
~Blessings? Their blessings… for what?~ TK looked up, but Tai was long gone. ~What blessing do I need from them?~ And then, TK seemed to hear a voice he had not heard in years, the voice of his partner, Patamon…
 
To love Kari with all your heart, TK… what else?
 
Now that TK thought about it, back when he and Kari first dated, they had not told their respective parents about it until after the first few dates they had together… His mother gave her approval, but she hinted that TK should have told her from the start. And the Yagamis… they kept TK away from their place for a few days to cool off but eventually they welcomed him back once their anger had subsided. Now, though… now, after everything that had happened between him and Kari… despite knowing the two of them had been lovers in secret once before, it seemed they were letting him know they were okay with him. They were okay that he was back in Kari's life, and that he'd be accepted as more than her best friend if he wanted…
 
But was it okay with him, though? Was he willing to get hurt again, and again and again if it went so far?
 
Toshinori Yagi's one question then echoed in his ear: Was she worth having your heart broken?
 
Next was Yamagi's voice: You only like something or someone if you can take the good and the bad, not just the good.
 
And then another voice from his past spoke to him in his mind, the voice of his piano teacher…
 
When you find yourself uncertain, remember this title from the Doobie Brothers - “Listen to the Music.”
 
So he was back in the music room, unaware until he set foot inside it, that he had come back into the building. Everyone else had gone. Good - it was better if he was alone.
 
TK went right for the keyboard and sat down on the bench. He then paused before he took out his wallet and brought out Kari's picture… to put it on the music stand of the keyboard. Then, next to it he placed the unfolded note Tai had given him a minute ago, the one with Tai's and the Yagamis' signatures along with the message “You have our blessing.” And then he put his fingers to the keys... and froze.
 
What to play? What song to play?
 
“...What does it matter anyway?” TK muttered to himself, hands going to his face to drag them down against his skin. “This is stupid…”
 
Again, the words of his piano teacher Burter B. Driftwood echo in his ear:
 
Listen to me, kiddo - never, ever underestimate the power of music. When the need is great, the song will come to you when you need it. It'll pop right in your head.
 
And then, he remembered what Sero had said the day before…
 
Suddenly I got the urge to hear some REO Speedwagon…
 
Just like that, a particular song popped into his head - the perfect song, he'd later come to understand. ~Thank you, Burter-san. Thank you, Sero.~ TK set his keyboard to the right settings and began playing REO Speedwagon's “Can't Fight This Feeling.” He only knew three of the band's songs, but this one… this one was a favorite.
 
And subconsciously, maybe it was the song he needed.
 
He hummed the song at first, focusing on the playing more than the singing. Yet he knew the lyrics by heart; they rang in his ears and mind as he played.
 
I can't fight this feeling any longer
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show…
 
Eventually, he started to sing the words, softly…
 
I tell myself that I can't hold out forever
I say there is no reason for my fear
`Cause I feel so secure when we're together
You give my life direction, you make everything so clear...
 
Then, at normal volume.
 
And even as I wander, I'm keepin' you in sight.
You're a candle in the window on a cold dark winter's night
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might…
 
And while TK didn't notice it, or perhaps he thought it was all in his head, more instruments joined in…
 
And I can't fight this feeling anymore
 
And so did the background vocals.
 
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever
 
`Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby I can't fight this feeling anymore…
 
TK was lost in his own world, fingers playing the keyboard to near perfection. He knew the second verse was coming up, and his eyes opened… and he looked right at Kari's picture… the memories coming back to him… the recent… the past… the bad…
 
But especially the good.
 
My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
I've been running `round in circles in my mind
 
The day they first met… caring for Kari when she was sick while hiding from Machinedramon… protecting Kari from Piedmon… when they came home from the Digital World after defeating Apocalymon… exchanging phone numbers and emails… the visits, once a month… and then moving back to Odaiba…
 
And it always seems that I'm following you, girl
`Cause you take me to the places that alone I'd never find.
 
Rescuing Kari from the Dark Ocean… their secret Christmas alone, just the two of them, the day before the party at Daisuke's… the day he finally got the guts to ask her on a date, and she asked if this meant they were now boyfriend and girlfriend…
 
Their first kiss… then, months later, the first time they made love… the last real date they had, spending a whole day together - no sex, but it wasn't needed…
 
And that goodnight kiss that made him feel like the luckiest son of a bitch alive...
 
And even as I wander, I'm keeping you in sight.
 
Seeing her again after over five years of separation…
 
...Hello, TK…
 
Her apologies from the heart…
 
I'M SORRY! I'm so sorry TK! I know I hurt you!
 
The feel of her in his arms again…
 
You had every right to dump me, to forsake me! You were faithful to me all along while I was a cheating slut!
 
You're a candle in the window on a cold dark winter's night…
 
Her begging to start over with him again…
 
I've no right to ask… but can we start all over again, please?
 
The double date with Shuichi and Mina where they went to the movies, where TK and Kari held hands about halfway through the movie without realizing it until the end…
 
...I've missed you so much, Takeru.
 
Then, with the memory of waking up to her that one morning she had been watching him sleep, that warm smile on her face that made everything else seem unimportant, TK finally understood what he wanted…
 
Young Takaishi, are you certain she was worth getting your heart broken?
 
~Yes, Yagi-san… yes, she was… and still is.~
 
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might…
 
And he kicked his playing and singing into high gear to match the second and final round of the chorus.
 
And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever
 
`Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby I can't fight this feeling anymore…
 
TK continued to play, knowing how the song ended using the keyboard, and then he finished… Soon as he did, he heard the applause and, surprised, he turned.
 
Shuichi and Kakyoin (with their guitars still slung to their bodies) clapped enthusiastically, while Luffy paused just enough to give a loud whistle. Sero, an acoustic guitar in one hand, simply nodded at TK with a smile, but then said, “Well done, TK.” Fumikage was off to the side with Nami, leaning against the wall; but they clapped along with the others.
 
“Now THAT we should play sometime soon,” Nami commented loudly, “either at our next concert or… no, we're definitely doing it on amateur night; and TK, you are singing lead!”
 
His face red like a tomato, TK asked, “How… how long-?”
 
“We just got back to the door when we heard you start playing,” Shuichi explained, “halfway through the first verse Luffy moved for his drums and the rest of us followed to get our instruments ready to join in at the chorus. I'm surprised you didn't notice us right away.”
 
“He was totally absorbed into the music I think,” Kakyoin added, “and honestly I couldn't blame him.”
 
Nami approached TK and put a hand to his shoulder. “Feeling better now?”
 
“Much better…” TK then glanced at Kari's photo.� “But now-.”
 
“You need to be somewhere else, right? So get going.”
 
With a short laugh, Luffy chimed in as he walked over to join Nami. “You heard the boss - scram.”
 
Grinning, TK grabbed the picture and note from the keyboard, and then gave Nami a sudden peck on her cheek with a quick “You're a sweetheart.”
 
“Hey, what's the idea?!”
 
TK paused and looked at Luffy. “Oh well - you, too.” And he kissed Luffy on the cheek before he took off, the rest of the band laughing behind him while Luffy wiped at his face and cried “GAH! I got pneumonia!”
 
“I definitely need to hang out with you guys more often,” Sero said between laughs, “this is way too fun!”
 
“I want to love you forever. Don't want a love that's now or never. Can't you see you've got me down on the floor? I want more, more!” Lyrics from “Will You Be There (In the Morning)” by Heart
 
“You just HAD to punch a fucking brick wall, didn't you!”
 
“It was either-.”
 
“SHUT IT!” Cherise snapped as she was now bandaging Kou's hand. “Be thankful you didn't break any bones in this hand, buster, or so help me I'd have broken your arm, and your leg, and maybe your neck for the finale!”
 
“Would you rather I broke TK's face,” Kou snapped back, “Or caved his skull in? Believe me, it was very tempting-.”
 
“So he hit you. Didn't you think maybe you going to him would be a bad idea? You, Kari's dance partner from last night? ...It should have been me.”
 
“...And if he hit you-.”
 
“I'd have taken my chances. Besides, Why would he hit me? I'm not the one he's angry with.”
 
Kou bit his tongue as Cherise had a point. He looked across the room, where Kari sat at the table in stark silence while staring at her clasped hands. She was no longer crying, but she looked sadder than ever; he hated seeing her like that.
 
Thankfully Ayaka was not in the apartment - she claimed her parents “called her home suddenly last night” and left without packing anything. If she had been there, Kou would have grabbed her by the throat regardless of her gender and interrogated her until she confessed her little schemes. He might still do that when Ayaka returned, whether or not the situation with TK was resolved to satisfaction or not.
 
Tai and Sora had dropped by; actually they were coming to visit regardless until Kari called them to tell them what had happened… Sora raced to Kari's place while Tai took a detour to the music hall and then came by to pick up Sora and tell his sister that somehow it would all be alright.
 
“...Do you think TK called his mother by now?” Kari then said somberly, recalling her last warning from Natsuko Takaishi.
 
“If he had she would have contacted you by now, wouldn't she?” Kou pointed out. ~And if he had, I'll bust his balls regardless of how much you'll hate me for it, Kari…~
 
“...Listen, Kari,” Cherise then said, “why don't you call Mina and Camie? Those two can cheer you up. Better yet, let me call them and arrange for you three to have lunch out today? You can't stay here by yourself.”
 
Kari gave a sad smile. “What, are you afraid you'll leave me and come back to find me-?”
 
“Don't you dare say what I think you're about to say!”
 
“...Drunk as a skunk, drowning my sorrows in hard liquor?”
 
“...Uh, sorry,” Kou said rather meekly.
 
“It's alright, Kou. I may have truly lost the best friend and… love of my life, but suicide is the farthest thing on my mind.”
 
“Well, good, that's very good,” Cherise said in a very serious tone. “Because if you were thinking of killing yourself… I'd beat the living shit out of you in Kou's stead. And then I'd find TK and wring his neck-. No, wait - Ayaka first, and I'd kill her slowly… then I'd torture TK to the point where he'd beg to die but I wouldn't let him off that easily.”
 
“And Kazuma would have cows since he'd have to arrest you for murder and assault and battery. And then likely resign from his job.”
 
“...Well there is that downside for dating a cop.” Cherise then took out her cell. “Regardless, I am calling Mina and Camie, and you, Kari, are going out to eat and that is that. Now go, wash your face and change clothes! And no arguing!”
 
“...You really need to get out more without me,” Kou remarked after Kari had left the main apartment.
 
“Kou, I'm-. ...Okay, I'm not fine. Frankly, I'm really pissed off, and at multiple people.”
 
“I know you are,” Kou said while holding up his bandaged hand.
 
“Hello, Mina. Listen, Kari needs to get out today. ...Yeah, it's not gotten better. ...Okay, good, you grab Camie for me and I'll have Kari meet you there. ...Appreciate it, but Kari needs you two more than I do, and trust me I'd be a real downer today. ...No, Ayaka is not here, she said her folks summoned her back home, but I really think she scampered away so as not to arouse suspicion.” Cherise then scoffed. “Like that worked. ...Okay, good. Thanks.” Cherise then hung up before she went for Kari's room and knocked twice. “Kari? Mina and Camie will meet you at that new Chinese Buffet next to the Mongolian Barbeque. They're buying for you, don't worry.”
 
Appreciated, Cherise.
 
Leaving the door, Cherise looked at her cousin. “Well, come on, you.”
 
“Now what?”
 
“I'm taking you to lunch. We need to think this one through thoroughly…”
 
“McDonald's?”
 
Cherise nodded. “Lucky for you and Kazuma, I'm not an expensive date. And no talking me out of it.”
 
“Alright…”
 
Shortly later, Kou exited the building followed by Cherise. He stopped suddenly, making Cherise bump into him. “Ow! Kou-!”
 
“Look, there's the SOB now.” Kou growled as he started for TK, who was approaching the building. He made directly for TK. “Mister, you're going to listen to-!”
 
“Sorry, not now. I got someone important to see.”
 
But Kou wasn't deterred. He reached for TK's arm… only for TK to suddenly seize his own arm and turn before hefting Kou off his feet, over TK's shoulder, and landed flat on his back. “Whoa!”
 
“K-Kou!” Cherise cried, shocked.
 
“Again, sorry.” And TK went for the entrance.
 
“...Twice in one morning he took me by surprise, color me impressed,” Kou remarked as Cherise helped him up.
 
“How did he-?”
 
“I taught him that move. Never expected him to use it on me, though. ...After him.”
 
“Aft-? Kou!” But when he kept on going, Cherise chased after him.
 
Ahead of them, TK barged into the apartment complex and went right for the stairs. ~No more hesitating,~ he thought, ~no more doubts, no more… ...no more dragging my damn feet. I know what I want. I know who I want… and she is so fucking worth getting my heart broken!~ Upon reaching his floor, he passed the door to his apartment and went three doors down to his destination and stood before the door. ~...Damn it all, Takeru Takaishi, why weren't you given the Crest of Courage instead of the Crest of Hope?~ He inhaled slowly and deeply… and then raised a fist to knock…
 
When the door opened suddenly and there she was. Their eyes locked, and both stood still while TK let out his breath.
 
“TK?” Kari asked, surprised yet her heart sped up.
 
“I'm sorry, Kari,” TK said, finding his voice. “I'm so sorry… for being such a jerk since last night. And I'm sorry for… ...for this.” Before Kari could say anything, TK grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her into a kiss, shutting his eyes tightly. Had he kept his eyes open, he would have seen Kari's own eyes wider than ever before… then close as she put her hands to his head and held him into the kiss.
 
At least for about thirty seconds before she pulled back and looked at him. “And what the hell are you apologizing for that for?” She asked in a semi-annoyed tone.
 
“Because we agreed to take it slowly… but I realized maybe that was both right and wrong-.”
 
“And last night? This morning-?”
 
“No excuses. None at all. But I swear I'll make it up, I'll-.”
 
“Do you love me, TK?”
 
“...I never stopped loving you, Kari, not even-.”
 
Kari grabbed TK by the scruff of his shirt. “Takeru Takaishi… shut up and take your medicine!” And Kari pulled him into another kiss, this one with more passion as she forced her tongue past his lips.
 
Down the hall, Kou and Cherise stood in shock at seeing TK and Kari in their embrace. “Did I… miss something here?” Cherise asked.
 
“If you did, so did I. Last night and earlier, TK was Mr. Untouchable, and now he's… he's… ...I dunno what the hell to call it.”
 
“...You think he was messing with all of us all this time?”
 
“Either that or he's definitely got some screws loose.”
 
Kari stopped the kissing to turn and glare at Kou, obviously overhearing her comment. “Oi! Watch it.”
 
“Uh, sorry about the-,” TK began, but Kou shook his head and made a dismissive gesture.
 
“Mister,” Kari then said, getting TK's attention, “what are you plans for today?”
 
“Well, band practice is over-.”
 
Kari tapped her watch. “5 o'clock, be ready - you're taking me out to dinner at a place of my choosing, and you'd best be prepared to pay for everything. Sound fair?”
 
“Sounds fair-.”
 
“And when we get back… I'm locking you in either my room or yours… and we're going to redo our first night together, and I don't care if your roommates or mine overhear us. Any objections?”
 
“Hold it,” Kou spoke up, “don't forget you need to be in early tonight at the club.”
 
Kari shot him a look that literally screamed “THANKS LOADS, KILLJOY” before she looked at TK again. “Then if not tonight-.”
 
“This coming Friday,” TK finished for her, “I know for a fact that Shuichi'll be on a date with Ashido, and Fumikage's going home for the night to visit his folks.”
 
“I'll hold you to it, mister. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to step out for a few things.” ~And give Mina and Camie the good news.~ Kari kissed TK hard once more, before she walked away. When she reached the stairs, she turned and pointed at TK. “You run off, and I'll save Kou there the trouble of hunting you down.”
 
“I'm not going anywhere.”
 
“...So what the hell made you change?” Cherise demanded to TK after she and Kou reached him.
 
“Several things.”
 
“What things?”
 
“Playing a song I needed to hear/play, a surprise visit from Tai… and this.” TK then produced the slip of paper showing the Yagamis' signatures along with their written blessings. “Not necessarily in that order, but they helped me realize-.”
 
“You needed to get your head out of your ass?” Kou asked.
 
“Call it whatever you like. The bottom line is I know what I want and I'm taking it, holding onto it and only death can make me let go.”
 
“...Alright, fine. But now…” Cherise grabbed TK by his arm and then she grabbed Kou. “The three of us are going out for lunch, and no talking your way out of it, either of you! Kou, you're buying for all of us.”

“Hold on, I planned to take TK and buy him a meal, but you-.”
 
“Fine, I'll pay for any extras but you at least buy me an entree.”

“Uh, how come-?”

“You're gonna need your funds for when you take Kari for dinner, trust me.”
 
“Alright, alright! ...But I pick where we eat at, and I know just the nearest place.”
 
“Fine…”
 
“I can pay-.”
 
Cherise and Kou pointed at TK and stated “Save your money!” With Kou adding, “this is on me.”
 
“You're still going to treat me after all that?” Now TK's mind was boggled, what was up with this guy? Going from, well, threatening to nonchalant so quickly?
 
“I wanna talk, and we've both been shouting, so that means nosy busybodies will come snooping.” Kou waved him to follow. “Plus this place has good chow, reminds me of my Dad's waffles from back in the day.” Insisted the purple-eyed young man as he started to walk on. “Of course if you'd rather I fuck off that's an option.”
 
“N-no, we can talk, I... kinda owe you for the punch.”
 
“Fair enough.”
 
“Speaking of hits…” Cherise turned and slapped TK across the face. “THAT you deserve for making Kari cry and believing in that bunk Ayaka fed you! And be grateful I don't kick you where it counts, because Kari'll need those parts eventually.”
 
“...Sounds fair.”
 
“...Quick question, did you talk to your mother about what happened?”

“No - it never occured to me.”

“Okay, good…”
 
“Please forgive me and forget it. I was wrong and I admit it…” Lyrics from “Second Chance” by 38 Special
 
“Hi! Welcome to-. Kou Uramecha! Long time, no seeeeee.”
 
“Perfect imitation of Betty Boop from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Akashi.” Kou smiled at the hostess that greeted him, TK, and Cherise before he held up a hand and showed three fingers. “Table for three, please.”
 
“You got it!” After grabbing three menus, Yuna Akashi motioned for the trio to follow her as she began making her way through the restaurant. “Booth or table?”
 
“Booth, please.”
 
Yuna led them through the restaurant, with several staffers, all female, greeting Kou as they walked past. Finally Yuna brought them to a booth and they sat down, TK and Kou on one side, and Cherise on the other.
 
“Start you off with drinks?” asked Yuna as she passed out menus.
 
“Three waters for starters; one with lemon for the blonde.”

“You betcha. Back in a jiffy.” ~Better tell Makie Kou's here…~
 
“You're well-known here.”
 
At TK's remark, Kou merely shrugged. “I helped them out once or twice. Plus they're all nice girls-.”
 
“Kou Uramecha!” Heads turned as a girl with pink hair stormed up to the booth, glaring at Kou despite her cute face. “Mister… you don't call, you don't visit… and do you EVER check your Facebook notices?! I sent you a Friend request FIVE TIMES!”
 
“...I'm on Facebook?”
 
Cherise groaned while she face-palmed. “I set your account up for you, remember? Baka.”
 
Kou looked at the girl and shrugged. “I'm not much into social media, outside of watching YouTube. Uh, Sorry.”
 
Makie's face still showed she was miffed. She pointed at Kou. “Don't. You. Dare. Leave. Without. Giving. Me. Your. Number! Or I'll bite you!” With a loud “hmph!” Makie turned on her heel and stormed off.
 
“...Cherise, put your phone away or I'll break it,” Kou warned when Cherise took our said phone, which she reluctantly put back into her purse.
 
TK, menu in hand, found himself more concentrated on Kou than deciding what to order. It was the way Kou interacted with the girls so far in the place. For a rough guy, he seemed to know quite the number of females. So why was he still single?
 
Yuna, from his perspective, was attractive - great figure (especially the upper portion), nice hair, pleasant attitude… Makie wasn't as well-built but was athletic, and her features screamed “cute.” In his mind, if he wasn't spoken for, he might (key word: MIGHT) have tried asking either out...
 
“I see my favorite customer is back.” Now it was a rather curvy, plump-faced lady wearing a chef's coat and apron and hat that approached the booth, particularly Kou's side. She gave a warm smile. “Welcome, Kou.”
 
“Hello, Satsuki. Uh, sorry I haven't been here in awhile-.”
 
“It's alright, I know how you operate.” Satsuki Yotsuba checked to see if anyone else was nearby or listening before she leaned in and lowered her voice. “Nice dance last night. It was very hot.
 
This got Kou's face to turn bright pink, which made Cherise giggle. “H-How did-?!”
 
“Robin-san tipped me off. Don't worry - the only other girl here who knows is Akira, and she and I will keep it quiet. We both know how some of the girls here are about our hero.” She then noticed TK. “Ah, one of the Nostalgia Brothers. How'd you get mixed up with Kou?”
 
“That's a story for another time, Satsuki.”
 
“Oh alright. You want your usual since I'm here? I can take your orders if you're all ready.”
 
Kou quickly thought about it. “Yeah, gimme my usual. Make it two, one for me and one for my cousin, she'll like it. And for TK there, make him your specialty - the Seven Samurai. He'll need the protein.”
 
“You got it. How do you like your eggs, sir?” Satsuki asked TK.
 
“Er, scrambled.”
 
Nodding, Satsuki then bowed before she walked away, smiling.
 
“Well, that was embarrassing-.”
 
“Why, because she caught your number last night?” Cherise commented with a grin.
 
Exasperated, Kou drug a hand over his face slowly. “The girls at the club I could handle seeing what I did, but the ladies here are a much different story.” He noticed TK looked at him oddly. “What's eatin' ya?”
 
“Nothing. It's just… well, on the one hand I can relate to how you feel uneasy.”
 
“I doubt that-.”
 
“Hold on, cousin of mine… you're talking about that one night your `sisters' tried to put the moves on you in a tag-team, right?”
 
“Exactly,” TK replied, not concerned that Cherise knew about that tidbit. “Aside from them having boyfriends, one of them being my older brother, the fact they tried that on me was… unsettling.”
 
~Not to mention infuriating they tried it without Kari knowing their intentions,~ Kou and Cherise both thought.
 
“And while I was tempted for the briefest of moments, Sora and Mimi are like big sisters to me. And Jaime Lannister I am not and never will be. Now, on the other hand… you really surprise me, Kou.”
 
“It's about his relations with the ladies here, isn't it? Well, TK, let me tell you - don't even THINK of stopping me, Kou - my cousin is popular with the girls more than he's willing to admit. Not only that but he'd prefer to sacrifice any chance of him finding happiness because he considers himself totally unfit for any of the opposite sex.”
 
“Not totally-.”
 
“Button it, you! This has been a long time coming. ...About a year or more ago, Kou happened to be here having breakfast when some jerkoff Yakuza wannabe came in and tried to extort protection money from the ladies running this establishment. Unfortunately for him, Kou was having one of his bad mornings, so overhearing the punk, Kou took it upon himself to send the guy running off with his tail between his legs. Complete with a broken jaw-.”
 
“Black eye,” Kou snipped, “you're getting things out of order-.”
 
“Details, details! Anyway, the next few days Kou comes here to keep an eye and ear open as the guy swore vengeance. Eventually he comes back with… how many was it again?”
 
“Four guys with steel bats or pipes.”
 
“Four more guys, all armed as Kou said. When the first one tried to swing his weapon at one of the waitresses, Kou rips it out of the guy's hand and then uses it to shatter the guy's kneecap before the real fighting started. In the end, all of them went to the hospital and then jail, numerous broken body parts and one broken table that Kou replaced despite the owner's objections.”
 
“You left out those guys tried to sue me for their injuries.”
 
TK's eyes widened.
 
“But the judge threw that case out after hearing the ladies who work here testify on my behalf that those guys came into the place with weapons and serious intent to cause property damage and bodily harm. Didn't help them that it wasn't their first time pulling scams like that. Last I heard, they're still serving 25 years with no parole.”
 
“And ever since then, Kou here's been not only a regular to this place, but he's well liked and known by its staff. They send cards and small gifts every occasion that allows such things. Sadly, though, no dates. He turns them down.”
 
“Doesn't mean we don't keep trying,” Yuna added as she brought them their drinks. “Satsuki told me you guys ordered already; soon as your food's up, I'll bring it out.” She moved to leave, but then looked at TK. “...Where have I seen you before?”
 
“He's in a band,” Kou stated.
 
“The Nostalgia Brothers,” Cherise added. “But he's spoken for, FYI.”
 
“Which instrument?”
 
“Keyboard/piano.”
 
A look of relief washed over Yuna. “Good, you're not Kakyoin then. He's my favorite. No offense.”
 
“None taken. ...And he is single, as far as I know.”
 
Grinning, Yuna walked away. However, she then turned and said loudly, “But you're still my main guy, Kou!” This got several of her coworkers to look at her with semi-heated glares.
 
“So why aren't you even dating one of these girls,” TK finally spoke up, surprising Kou and Cherise. “Hell, why didn't you try going out with Kari before she and I reconnected? I mean, you care about her-.”
 
“Yes, exactly. I care about her. And because I care about her, and her feelings, I know without a doubt that I'm not the one she wants. You want me to be honest? Fine - I likely would have gone out with Kari if I had the chance to. She's beautiful, fun, nice, and all that. ...But soon as I learned about you and how she still wanted to be with you, along with the whole backstory… well, I just couldn't help her move on.”
 
“You left out you consider yourself damaged goods-.”
 
“Cherise, I'm not asking you I am telling you - button it! ...Even if you are right.”
 
“How are you-?”
 
“Because of my own shitty past, excuse my Anglo-Saxon. And that's something I do NOT like to talk about, period. And Cherise knows better by now not to talk about it since it's not her full story to tell. ...All I'll say is my life's been rough for most of my earlier years until I ended up having to take custody of my cousin and ensure she got a proper education.”
 
TK suddenly got a text message alert; taking out his phone, he read the message. “Well… looks like the White Cat's closed due to a plumbing problem. Kari's got tonight off.”
 
Cherise beamed. “Good for her, and you.”
 
TK then got another message. “Huh, she wants me to meet her after lunch-.” His eyes widened. “Hoo boy.”

“What now?” Kou asked, impatient.
 
When TK didn't reply, Cherise snatched his phone to read the message. She grinned. “Oh, you're sooooo going, mister.”
 
“What does she want already?”

“Oh, she wants loverboy here to join her for lingerie shopping.”
 
Kou blinked once, and then he slowly gave an evil grin. “TK, you even try to squirm out of it, I will drag you there myself for Hika… even if I have to knock you out and drag you there.”
 
“...And if I go Moe Howard on you before you even try?”
 
“Moe Howard-?”
 
TK held up his right hand and extended his index and middle fingers while motioning like he was giving an eye-poke towards Kou. “That. While in America, I got into the Three Stooges.”
 
“Uh, you do know some of their World War II shorts were very anti-Japan, right?”

“Given what Japan did to Pearl Harbor in 1941-.”
 
“Yeah, true… So, you going?”
 
“Like I have a choice? And it's not either of you that worries me… it's Kari's wrath that I'm more afraid of.”
 
Tell me, tell me, the words to define… the way I feel about someone so fine…” Lyrics from “How Do You Talk To An Angel” by The Heights
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Notes:
 
Hello, everyone.
 
Looking back on this chapter, maybe I rushed it a bit with TK forgiving Kari after what happened the previous chapter. But then, maybe I put myself into TK for this chapter. I'm prone to making rash decisions and especially changing my mind on things. Well, I'll leave it to you, the readers, to let me know if I was wrong or right to do so.
 
The small backstory involving Kou…by this time TheUNB was plagued by real life so much it affected his writing drive. I waited patiently for him to come back and add his spin on the final scene and such, instead working on the enxt two chapters. However, eventually I understood he had too much else to worry about so I just did my best to write what he would have. Yet if and when he gets back to me with his changes, I'll edit the chapters. He's my partner, and this story is as much his as well as mine.
 
Only 2 more chapters to go now. And you can bet Ayaka and Monoma won't take their plans failing lightly…
 
Thank you for reading this tale. Please read and review (and be kind in said reviews, even if you didn't like it); I really would like some feedback, even critical criticism.
 
Part 12 will come soon.
 
Ja ne! -Robster80 (R80)