Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Cyborg Davis ❯ Messages from Kari ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
When Davis had parked his cart back in his massive shed at head-office that evening, he had received a report that what happened in his office was no accident. “Someone deliberately tampered with the steam pipes, sir. Whom, we don't know.”
 
Davis took this as a consideration that someone was defiantly trying to see him out of action, just like the old days when so many companies rivaled him for his talents and vast money makings.
 
“Keep security notified he said “I've got a bad feeling about this.”
 
“Yes, sir.” said the other man, and he left.
 
Just about everyone had gone home for the day, and the night-watch men were starting to arrive. Davis was really uptight about security. Veemon let out a huge yawn, “Davish… can we go home now?” he asked a little sleepy.
 
“One minute…” Davis said as he opened up his laptop, “I have to check my messages.”
 
He didn't get much a chance to check his emails that day, seeing as how the steam had damaged the computer in his office, which was still under clean up.
 
Same old emails, a few bills that he could easily pay. Several bank statements showing how much his total had increased by a few millions more. “Heh, heh, heh… I always knew I'd have it made.”
 
Just then, “Hey, what's this…?” there was an email from Kari Takashi. Davis clenched his fists and growled slightly. He was really starting to get aggravated about Kari and TK's marriage. It almost felt like it was made deliberately just to annoy him.
 
The message read…
 
Davis…
 
I can' stop thinking about you. TK doesn't even understand how I feel about you anymore. I worry about you a lot, and sometimes I think of you more than just a friend.
 
Hope you're okay…
 
Love: Kari…
 
Davis just snorted and deleted the message. “She's probably up to her old tricks to make me feel jealous again.” He knew that Kari would never write anything like towards him, all she ever saw him as was a friend. That was it… a big, old, friend. It just wasn't fair.
 
 
When Davis and Veemon got home to the huge house that night, Davis found a letter from Kari with yet another message of concern, and high hoes for him. “Whatever…” he said as he chucked in the fireplace.
 
He almost didn't even want to check his phone messages, but he knew he had to, and luckily there weren't any messages from Kari, but rather just some calls from Tai and Jun, Ken and Yolei, they were inviting Davis over for a poker night, and they promised him, no Kari and TK. “We care about you Davis, and we love you too.”
 
There was that word again, “Love…! Love…W why can't I feel the way I used to?” he asked himself aloud. The more he felt bad about not being able to feel love; it sometimes made him feel bad about being a half robot.
 
Besides… even if he could feel love, would he even want to remember it? All love had done was cost him both the only woman he ever had true feelings and his original body.
 
At least when he sat down to his expensive, rare-steak dinner in front of the TV, he began to cheer up a bit. “Money can't buy happiness, but at least you rent it for a while. Right Veemon…?”
 
Veemon was fixing his napkin round his neck ready to dive a whole chicken on the tray before him. “It sure can, Davish! COWABUNGA…!” and he dove right into the chicken gnawing at it like a grinder-saw.
 
Meanwhile
 
Yami was in his own home, and his Guardromon had just served him dinner. “Ahh… do you smell that, Guardromon?” he asked as he took in a huge whiff of his food.
 
Guardromon was most confused. Despite the fact he didn't have a nose or anything like that, “Smell what, master?” he asked.
 
Yami explained to him that it was the smell of a successful plan that had just commenced. “Sending him those fake messages from that Kari woman was sure to have begun to turn him on. Heh, heh, heh… it is only a matter of time before he cannot take the pressure anymore.”
 
Guardromon liked the way things were starting to go. “You are aware though, sir… that even if he should pass out, his friends had revived him once before. What is to say… they won't do it again?”
 
“Silence, bolt-brain!” Yami snapped. “Do you honestly think that I would just give Daisuke as much as a minor blown fuse? Absolutely not… I am going to give him such an incredible ride that his should blow himself out completely. I doubt that even the greatest geniuses it the world would be able to fix him after that.”
 
He picked up his knife and waved it over his food, “Pleasant dreams Motomiya, your days are numbered. Heh, heh, heh…” and he drove the blade right into his meat.
 
Speaking of Davis…
 
He was having a hard time trying to fall asleep, for those messages from Kari were still plaguing through his mind. O matter how many times he tried to convince himself not to be hopeful, and swallow any of that junk… it still never let him be.
 
Even still beyond that, he was still having difficult times trying to piece love together. “What am I going to do?” he sighed quietly so as not to wake up Veemon.
 
He had always tried his hardest to accept Kari and TK being together, but in the end he always ended up feeling more miserable than before, and now it wasn't healthy for his systems to get all stressed out like that.
 
Still… Izzy did tell him it was best not to go anywhere near Kari, or TK at all, and that's just how he planned to keep it. “I don't need them. I probably never did. He thought to himself, “They are slightly responsible for this happening to me.”
 
He decided to think more about it tomorrow… assuming that was if he ever got to sleep! He let out a huge yawn, and gently slipped off quietly.