Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Cyborg Davis ❯ Miseries, and Mysteries ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER EIGHT
 
The next day, things were starting to go from bad to worse. When Davis got to work, he got a few more emails from Kari. All of them were concerned messages, and how she was sending her love to him. His cell phone contained text messages of the same category, and you wouldn't wanted to have had to seen his mail. Ten letters and half of them were from Kari.
 
Steam was literally beginning to shoot from Davis' ears. “Now, now, Davish… Davish!” cried Veemon. “Take it easy… remember what Izzy told you about stress?”
 
Davis took a few deep breaths, and rubbed his face with his fleshy-hand. “Fine, okay… I'm cool.”
 
Little did he realize that from a concealed security camera that the spy had rewired when fiddling with the steam-pipes Yami was watching him from his office on his computer!
 
“Heh, heh, heh… you don't look cool to me, Motomiya.” he snickered. “Guardroom…! Send another few letters to his home. Tonight promises to be quite a bad one for him.”
 
That night…
 
Davis was at Ken and Yolei's for the poker night. Cody was there too, and so was Armadillamon. While the Digimon played in another corner of the room, so far, Davis was up by a load of cash. Yolei wasn't part of the circle, but Jun and Tai were still determined to bring Davis down.
 
Davis, Jun, Tai, Ken, and Cody were all in, and they quickly revealed there hands. Once again, Davis had four aces. “Not again!” cried Cody.
 
“Hey, don't hate the player. Hate the game.” Davis said.
 
Tai slumped back into his seat, “You sure you haven't got a cheating unit built in there?” he asked. Davis shook his head; it was all just pure luck.
 
Luckily Davis wasn't being Cheeky and gave everyone their money back. “I got enough of this filthy green stuff already?” he joked. Everyone shared a laugh.
 
Yolei looked over her shoulder. “Sure… you guys play around while I'm stuck over here doing the dishes.”
 
Ken got up and took his wife's hand. “Here… let me help you then.” He whispered into her ear as he guided her hand, moving the scrub brush along. Yolei began to feel all squishy inside.
 
Davis couldn't help but envy at how happy they looked. He even began to hallucinate about that being him and Kari like the way he had always wished, but then his sensors began to grow confused by love again.
 
“You okay, bro?” Jun asked.
 
Davis wiped his brow with his metal-arm. “Yeah, just daydreaming again
 
Everyone immediately knew that he was thinking about Kari again. “Davis… you have to let her go.” Tai said, “Kari values you as a friend, and don't you think that's special enough?”
 
Jun kicked him in the leg. “Tai…!” she snapped, “Look, I know it's the truth, but how can you say that?”
 
“No… he's right!” Davis said. “I should try and let go of Kari. What I wanted isn't going to happen. She's with TK, and I got the boot.”
 
Everyone didn't like his tone of voice. He was making it sound like Kari just got up and threw him out the door. “Davis… you don't have to make Kari look out to be a monster or anything.” Cody said. “She just loved TK, and that was all…”
 
“Yeah… that was all.” Davis said, then he held up his metal-plated arm, “And look what I got out of it!”
 
He began to make bad remarks about himself again, how he was an android, how he looked very different than most people on the outside. To him… inner beauty wasn't enough anymore.
 
He also couldn't understand love as much, not even the family love towards his sister; though that was a no-brainier! Now Kari's marriage to TK was enough to make him want to blow out all his bolts. “Maybe… you guys should've just let me die.”
 
By now, Yolei marched right up to Davis and bashed his head with the brush. “Ow… hey, that was my flesh you hit!”
 
“Davis… I've heard you say some crazy things, but this takes the cake.” She spat at him. “You've got a lot more to live for that you know. You can't say you want to die just because one thing got you down.”
 
“You're right… I don't. I already did that.” Davis said referring to the car accident that got him, but that's when he realized he was overreacting, “I'm sorry guys… I'm just a little edgy.” He showed them all the letters he got that day from Kari.
 
The others were completely shocked to see them. It was defiantly in Kari's handwriting, but even they knew she never wrote things like that. “I think I'll have a little talk with her.” Tai said.
 
Ken took a really close look at one of the letters. Already he was an officer with the force, and he was trying to become a detective. “Can I keep one of these letters?” he asked. “I want to try a few little experiments, and Tai… bring me some paper from Kari's; I'll need it.”
 
Everyone thought this was odd, but Tai agreed to Ken's wishes. Then after a while, everyone headed for home. “Davish…?” Veemon asked, “You didn't really mean all that, did you?”
 
“Mean what…?” Davis asked.
 
“That you would rather have died…?”
 
Davis held his head low when they stopped at a red-light. “No, I didn't mean that. It's just that… I'm so confused.” he replied, “Of all the things I have, I never got to have the one thing I deeply desired for so long… and now I've reached the point where I just can't understand these feelings anymore. I mean… Kari's still on my mind, but all it's doing is confusing me, and making me angry.
 
Veemon didn't know how to answer it, and he didn't have to. Both he and Davis were starting to think that maybe it was a sign. Maybe Davis was starting to remember love, and it's boundaries. Still… neither one of them knew if it was a good thing or not.