Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Wings, White Wings ❯ Mysteries and Plans ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

***

Chapter 5: Mysteries and Plans

Yamato could tell what Takeru was planning to do from the expression on his brother's face, when he came back to the palace. He wasn't sure if he should stop him or help him. Well, at least he was going to apologize first for lying to his brother. He took a deep breath and approached Takeru who was sitting in the Reading Area of the library once more, deep in thought.

Yamato cleared his throat to make his presence known. Yamato had never seen such an expression on Takeru's face as he looked up at him. There was a mixture of anger, determination, sadness, and regret. Yamato also saw a deep hurt there as well. His brother was hurting and he had played a part to make him feel like this.

"Takeru. . ." He sighed deeply.

"Forget it Yamato. Yolie had the care to tell me and I forgive you for lying to me since it was mine own fault as well. But don't try to change my mind about what I'm going to do." And with that he stood up and headed for the exit, leaving Yamato standing alone.

By coincidence, when Takeru came out of the library, he happened to bump into the guards that were undoubtedly taking Hikary to one of the dungeon cells.

"Where are you taking her?" Takeru asked the guards anways even if he knew the answer. Hikary lowered her head to avoid looking at the boy who had been her friend a short time before.

"We're taking her to the dungeons, Your Highness,"

"Good. Make sure you put her in the third one though." Takeru commanded.

The guards looked curious and a little puzzled. The dungeons were all the same weren't they?

"Well?" Takeru pressed.

"Yes, Your Highness. It shall be done." And they walked off still wondering why the prince had given such an unusual order.

***

"Taichi! Have you seen Hikary?" The King of Heaven asked.

"No father, she went out this morning and I haven't seen her since." Taichi answered.

Just then a maid burst into the room, looking very frightened and distressed. She was clutching an envelop in her hand.

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty!" She called out before sinking into a chair, panting hard.

"What is it?" The King asked urgently.

"This just came." She held out the letter in a shaking hand.

Taichi took it and found out the reason for the maid's fear. He gasped. There was a seal at the back of the envelope. An angel with black wings, the sign of Hell. With dread he opened the envelope. The message on the letter was short but it was to the point and the first sentence made Taichi and the King turn pale.

Hello, King Hiroshi

I have your daughter, Princess Hikary. I give you twenty-four hours to surrender. If you do not then your daughter dies tomorrow. Keep that in mind.

This is for what you did to me.

Kurokami

Taichi scrunched the letter with one hand and the other hand descended to a desk with a bang. The maid scampered away, not wanting to be in the king and the prince's company when they were angry. King Hiroshi didn't act like his son. He just stood there but with a fire burning in his eyes.

"I'll go get her," Taichi said, breaking the silence that had descended on the room. "I'll bring her back from that place."

His father looked up at him sharply.

"You'll do no such thing, Taichi!" The king thundered.

Taichi, surprised at the sudden outburst, stared at his father. It was unusual for the King to speak to his children in that tone.

"I'm sorry, Taichi." As if realizing what he had just done, King Hiroshi sighed. He swayed on his feat and had to grab the nearest desk for support. Taichi only noticed then that his father was shaking a little. He immediately went over and placed a hand on his father's back, as if supporting the tired king.

"Father let me go, please." Taichi asked once more.

But the king stuck to his decision, shaking his head.

"But I can't just stand here doing nothing! I can't let her just get killed in there!" Taichi shouted as, once more, anger settled in.

"Then we'll surrender, I'm not going to let you risk your life. What if both of you didn't make it back?" The King said.

"Do you think the Kind of Hell will just leave us, our people, alone if we surrendered? And all the millions of people on Earth, what about them?"

"I just want my daughter back here safe." Taichi's father said.

"How safe do you think she'll be if Heaven falls to Hell? And how do you know they'll keep their word about not killing her?"

"Then what do you suggest we do?" King Hiroshi's voice was cracked.

Taichi realized that they didn't have that many choices right now. His father was right, if he tried to safe his sister, there's likely chance that neither would be able to come back since he didn't even know where his sister was in Hell. If they surrendered then they lose the war and how many people will suffer then? He didn't want to think about that. Heaven's was supposed to protect Earth, not destroy it. But that meant there was only one other choice. To give up Hikary.

No, Taichi would, could never do that. But what choice did they have? Either way, his sister was probably going to be killed. It was only the problem if they would be willing to trade Heaven's people and Earth's people for the princess that could even be dead. Taichi realized with guilt that if it was anyone's daughter, then they wouldn't have worried as much. They would most likely have made the necessary sacrifice for the balance.

The same thoughts were going through the King's mind as well and they were still left with the dilemma while the clock continued to tick.

"We need a miracle." It was all the king said but Taichi had to agree. They needed a miracle if they were ever going to see Hikary again.

***

Takeru had a plan but it won't work unless they put Hikary in the dungeon that he had specified. If all worked well then no one will know how the princess escaped or doubt him for helping her. It was simple, really, with only one obstacle. Will Hikary trust him? He needed to go down and talk to her first even though he hate to have to speak with her this soon after what he had done. He didn't think he can face her yet but there was no time to wait. His father had already sent a letter to Heaven and Takeru didn't know how much time he had. That was another thing he had to find out.

Just as he plucked up the courage to go down to the dungeons, a knock sounded at his door. It was Yamato.

"Are you here to stop me? If you are, I told you. . ." Takeru said.

"I know that you won't listen to me this time and I'm not even going to try." Yamato said.

"Then why. . ."

"I'm going to help you with this." *I can't believe I said that.* Yamato thought to himself. But somehow it felt right.

Takeru judged his brother with narrowed eyes as if not trusting him.

"Hey, don't look at me like that. Yolie didn't tell me to do anything this time okay?" Yamato quickly said. "So tell me about your plans."

Takeru explained.

"I need to talk to her now and hopefully she'll trust me."

"And I'll try to find out about what father's plans are and how much time we have."

And with that they went their separate ways.

***

The word about the princess' capture spread like wild fire through the kingdom of Heaven. Soon everyone was whispering about it and about the king's decision. They knew that their fate depended on it and so no one was in a good mood.

Taichi already given up the idea of rescuing Hikary by himself. He sat in his room with Daisuke as company. Neither of the boys talked, they only stared out the window at the ground below. Suddenly Taichi sat up as he remembered something in the letter.

'This is for what you did to me.'

What did that mean? His father did something to the King of Hell? Taichi didn't know any great event that imvolved his father and King Kurokami. He had never heard that the two kings had met each other. This didn't make sense. He decided to ask his father, at least it gave him something to do and it might just help them get Hikary back. Yes he would do it. He quickly explained to Daisuke and the two of them headed to find King Hiroshi.

They passed a room where they heard Taichi's father talking with someone and was about to knock when the words they heard shocked them.

". . .I can't believe Kurokami's still believes in that." The King was saying.

"She was in love with you, you know. You can't exactly blame him." Taichi recognised the voice as Jyou. He was the best doctor in Heaven and even though he was only a few years older than Taichi, he had earned a place as one of King Hiroshi's closest friends.

"But I didn't have anything to do with her disappearance."

"I know."

They heard a sigh from the king.

"What am I going to do, Jyou."

"Unless you can convince King Kurokami about it, I don't think. . ." The words trailed away.

"I wish it was back to the old times. We had so much fun then, I don't know how this could have happened."

"Your Majesty. . ." Jyou didn't know how to continue.

Taichi and Daisuke had heard enough, they quietly made their way back. This wasn't a good time to ask the king anything, yet the conversation they heard left them with even more questions. Something had happened a long time ago and if they were correct, that was the cause of the war between the two kingdoms.

***

Yamato, even though he wasn't as popular as his brother, had made himself really popular especially among the maids in the palace. And when he just happened to find one that he knew quite well, caring a tray with two cups and a wine bottle, he went over.

"Are you taking those to the king?" He asked.

The girl turned around abruptly and when she saw Yamato, smiled.

"Yeah." She said. The girl had long learned that she could act informal in front of this prince.

"Would you do a favour for me, Mimi?" Yamato asked and winked.

"Sure." Mimi answered.

***

Takeru walked down the stone steps that led to the dungeon nervously. He didn't know how he was going to convince Hiakry yet but he knew he had to do it somehow. He took a deep breath before descending the last of the steps. There was a guard standing at the entrance to all the dungeons.

"I need to talk to the prisoner." Takeru announced.

The guard didn't question him. Immediately he opened the door that led to a hallway where on either side were cells with bars from ceiling to floor. Currently there was only one prisoner in here and that was Hikary. The guard made as it to follow Takeru in but Takeru stopped him.

"I need to talk to her alone if you please." He said politely. The guard only shrugged and closed the door again.

Takeru walked down the hallway until he spotted Hikary's form. She was lying face down on a what could barely be called a bed. Her shoulders shook and Takeru realized that she was crying although she didn't make any sounds.

There was a tray of food a little ways away from the bed but it was untouched. Hikary seemed unaware of Takeru's presence.

"H-Hikary?"

Hikary froze. She quickly wiped her face with the back of her hand and sat up, coming face to face with Takeru.

"What do you want?" She asked, still sniffing slightly.

"I. . ." What should he say? It was too late to ask for her forgiveness, and maybe it was better if they forget each other after this. It would be better if she forgot about him then she probably wouldn't be hurt by him again. "I'm going to get you out."

Whatever Hikary was expecting him to say, it certainly wasn't that, so she stared.

"Your trying to trick me again." She said, there was no emotion in her voice.

This is what Takeru had been afraid of.

"No I'm not. You have to trust me this time. . ."

"How can I? After what you did?" Hikary answerd him coldly. She turned her back on him only because she didn't want him to see the tears that she couldn't hold back.

"Don't you want to go home? Don't you want to see your family again?" Takeru saw Hikary stiffen. He waited for her to reply.

"How do I know if this. . .if this wasn't another trap?"

Takeru paused.

"My father already sent out a letter to your father. I don't know what was written on it but it's not going to be good news for your people, you can be sure of that." He avoided her question but he could see that she was worried about her family.

"Think about it, I'll come back later and you can tell me your answer then." And he left.

***

Mimi brought the wine to the King and waited in a corner. To the king, she was just acting like any other maid but he didn't even suspect that she was listening in on the conversation between him and the Kaizer.

"I'm very pleased with this. Either way, we get something. And this loss should make Hiroshi weaker." King Kurokami grinned and sipped his wine, enjoying it. "What's the matter Kaizer? You're awfully quiet today."

"Oh I was just thinking, Your Majesty. I think we should do away with the girl tonight." The Kaizer said.

"What?! But why?"

"Well, King Hiroshi might sent out people to come rescue her." But that was only a likely reason. The Kaizer was more worried about the prince, Takeru. He seemed different when he came back and the Kaizer was suspecting of what he might do.

"Oh don't worry about that, they couldn't possibly get pass all the guards here." King Kurokami said proudly.

"No probably not, but they could still take down a few of your men, my King. Isn't it better to make sure our plan succeeds? We just have to take her wings. This chance will be hard to come again."

"Hmm, maybe you're right. This way, we make sure no one can go rescue her and we increase our powers."

"That is right, Your Majesty, and you can get your revenge this way."

"I agree. We will do this now, go get the necessary preparations done, Kaizer, then go get the girl." He drank the last of his wine.

"Yes your Majesty." The advisor bowed low so the king could not see the smirk. Yes, everything was going according to plan.

***

Yamato paced around in his room, waiting for Mimi. The maid had instantly agreed when he asked her to eavesdrop on the king. While waiting, his thoughts wondered to his brother. Yamato wondered if his brother knew the risk that he was taking. He didn't won't anything to happen to his brother and that meant this had to succeed. He cared too much for Takeru to see him hurt.

That thought brought a memory back to him, the only memory he had of his mother. He had been young then and his mother had made him promise something.

"Yamato, you must always take care of your brother. Promise me you're protect him Yamato, promise me." She had looked Yamato straight in the eyes and said it very seriously.

"Of course, leave it to me." Yamato remembered himself answering. He didn't know, then, why his mother was asking him that because he already knew that as a big brother, he'd look after Takeru. And after that promise, his mother smiled and laughed as if such a serious moment had never happened between them.

Now, Yamato was not so sure that had only been a simple warning that a mother always gave to her older child. He sensed something deeper but he didn't know what. Did his mother somehow knew that something like this was going to happen? But whatever it was, he would make sure Takeru was safe, just like he promised.

But both he nor Takeru realized that their plan would be the first step to change everything if it succeeded.

Mimi burst into his room without knocking.

"Did you get any information?" Yamato asked.

"Sure I did." Mimi answered. Then she proceeded to explain everything she had heard.

"Thanks Mimi, you did a good job and make sure you keep quiet about it like always, okay?" Yamato said in a hurry.

"Are you doubting me?" Mimi asked as she went out.

As soon as she left Yamato bolted down the hallway to get Takeru. At the moment he felt very lucky to have Mimi as a spy. She might not be the brightest person and wouldn't even connect the the escape (if it succeeded) with the two princes but she sure liked gossip and therefore it was hard for her to miss anything important when Yamato told her to eavesdrop.

He pushed open the door to his brother's room and yelled.

"Takeru!!"

"What is it, Yamato?" Takeru asked.

"I sure hope you got the princess to trust you because if you're still planning on rescuing her, you better do it now or you better forget aout it." Yamato said all this with one breath.

"Why?" Takeru sounded puzzled.

"They are going to cut her wings, Takeru, and they're planning to do it now!"

***

A note. I am NOT planning to put Yamato with Mimi. The reason she was in here at all was because, you know, I hate to make up names. And why I didn't use Sora? Well, I didn't think Sora was the kind that liked gossip or to eavesdrop.

One more thing King Hiroshi and King Kurokami will probably have very different personality from the Anime since it wouldn't work. So you can probably imagine them as different people if you want to. And the kings names are first names not last names.