Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Wings, White Wings ❯ The Rescue ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dislaimer: Digimon belongs to Toei not me.

***

Chapter 6: The Rescue

Takeru paled and he bit his lip as Yamato finished what he was saying. Without another word he turned around, rushed to his bed, and knelt down beside it. He began fumbling with the carpet, trying to lift it off to get to soemthing under it. But in his haste and panic, his hands shook and the carpet kept slipping from his hands.

Suddenly Yamato's hand were on top of his, stopping his frantic movements.

"Calm down, Takeru, don't panic. You won't be able to help anyone like that. We still have time, Takeru."

Takeru nodded and took several deep breaths to calm himself. Then went back to what he was doing. This time, he was able to flip the carpet over and get to whatever that was under it.

It was a door on the floor. Takeru flipped it open and jumped in. This was a tunnel that he had discovered a long time ago and it lead to some very interesting places inside the castle. Yamato, of course, knew about it since the two of them used this tunnel very often to play pranks and other things. Nobody seemed to know about it since they haven't met anyone. They had memorized all the routes by heart and knew where each route led to. There was only one place that they haven't been able to get to and it was behind a locked door that they had tried to open many times but to no avail. It stayed locked.

"Takeru, I'll get the dye ready and please be careful." Yamato said.

"Thanks, I will." Takeru answered and ducked into the darkness of the tunnel that would lead him to the dungeon that Hikary was in.

He walked with a hand tracing along the wall beside him. It was dark and cold but Takeru didn't dare bring a candle with him for one of the part he had to crawl because of the low ceiling and a candle would only slow him down but that meant he had to walk in complete darkness. The walls were cool and bumpy and it felt more like a cave than a secret pasageway to Takeru.

He nade a turn and felt the ground slope downwards. It was actually kind of creepy walking down this tunnel alone without any light. There was no sound expect for his own footsteps and breathing. The silence was getting on his nerves now and so he tried to think about other stuff to distract himself.

But what he found himself thinking about was even worse than the silence. He was worried about Hikary and so he kept wondering if he would be too late when he got there. Then he mentally kicked himself for thinking negatively. But he still unconsciously picked up his pace.

***

Hikary sat on the ground in the middle of her prison with her legs drawn up and her arms around them. Her chin rested on top of her knees as she thought about what Takeru said. She shivered slightly and hugged herself even tighter. It was cold and she only had a thin shirt and shorts on.

She wanted to Takeru, really, but what was stopping him from lying to her again, betraying her agian? But he was right, she was worried about her family. She could only guess what was in that letter and it did nothing to ease her mind any. And it looked like they wouldn't let her go any time soon. She was beginning to miss her home now and wondered how she got herself in this mess.

Takeru. He had seemed so nice and it really didn't seem like he was acting at all. How could he? Hikary wondered. *And now he's asking me to trust him? How can I?*

"So you still want to be friends with me?"

"Of course"

Takeru had sounded so sincere and to think it was all a fake just to get her to fall into this trap. She knew she should be angry but she wasn't, instead she felt a sadness that she had never felt before and which was overwhelming her. She felt another lump forming in her throat and a prickling feeling in her eyes. She buried her face into her knees.

*Baka! (Stupid) Don't cry! There's nothing to cry about. You should be mad at him. He clearly didn't care about you.* But she found she couldn't not care and stopped to trying to hold her tears in. The tears flowed as she let all her feelings out. And finally she understood why she felt what she felt. She realized it with a jolt of surprise.

*I-I think I'm. . .*

A sound and dust falling from above distracted her. She looked up and got to her feet as more dust fell. Hikary coughed and rubbed her eyes as she staggered aside to avoid more dust. When she looked up again, she found that a part of the ceiling was moving. She gasped as she leaned against the wall.

Then to her immense shock, a tile in the ceiling was peeled away and a whole was created that was big enough for a person to fit in. A very dusty face poked itself out of the hole and wrinkled its nose as it sneezed.

***

"Everything is set Your Majesty." The Kaizer reported.

"Excellent, go get the prisoner, Kaizer." King Kurokami commanded.

"As you wish."

***

Hikary was able to recognize the face as Takeru's and she quickly tried to wipe her face. Takeru didn't miss that action however and realized with a pan of guilt that she had been crying again and it was most likely because of him.

"Hikary, you have to get out of here now." Takeru said urgently.

"Didn't you say you were going to give me more time to think about that? And I still haven't even given you my answer yet." Hikary retorted, avoiding his gaze.

"We don't have time, come now!"

"What do you mean we don't have time?"

"They're coming right now for your execution."

That certainly was not what Hikary had been expecting.

"How can I be sure that you're not lying to me again?" She asked after a while.

"Look, I don't care if you trust me or not. . ." Takeru said.

"Then why?"

Takeru thought about that. It would sound suspicious if he said he felt bad about what he did and he didn't have time to explain everything.

"If you don't trust me then do it for Earth, please Hikary, I may have lied to you but I can't control what you see. You told me that you liked Earth and I do too, I love it. I don't want to see it destroyed, Hikary, and if you stayed here it will be destroyed along with the balance."

Hikary heard the pleading tone in Takeru's voice but she still hesitated a little. She remembered the feeling when she looked out from the clock tower and she remembered the lake and the wild creatures there and she also remembered the cherry trees. Yes, she loved the planet.

A scraping noise was heard a little way down the hallway, outside her cell.

"Hurry, Hikary! They're coming!" Takeru beckoned.

She hesitated a little longer then slowly went under the hole.

"Jump now!" Takeru whispered as they heard the footsteps enter the outside door.

Hikary jumped and reached up. Her arm was caught by Takeru who pulled while Hikary used her other hand to grab the edge to help herself and all the while, the footsteps got closer.

***

The Kaizer walked down the hallway with a few other guards.

*With the princess of Heaven out of the way, this plan will soon be completed*

But the grin on his face soon disappeared as he looked into the empty dungeon. The guards gasped and whispered to each other. If anyone chanced to look up at that precise moment they would have seen a part of the ceiling sliding closed into place but no one noticed that in the semi-darkness of the cell.

The Kaizer let out a scream of rage as he raced out of the hallway, pushing past the stunned guards.

***

Takeru and Hikary stood in the darkness, panting a little, as they heard that horrible scream which made their inside turn cold.

*That had been too close* Takeru thought.

"Come on, it's not over yet." He said and told Hikary to follow him.

They made it back to Takeru's room in silence with Hikary following Takeru's footsteps as guidance to which direction she should be going.

Yamato was waiting nervously and pacing around the room. He could hear the guards outside talking about the escaped prisoner and something about a search. That meant Takeru's rescue was successful and he was able to relax some what. Then the next moment, Takeru burst out of the tunnel with Hikary behind him.

Hikary stared at Yamato, not sure what she should be thinking.

"That's my brother, Yamato. Don't worry, he's helping us." Takeru explained.

"Oh."

"Here's the dye." Yamato held up a bottle with black dye in it and gave it to his brother.

"Hikary, open your wings for a sec." Takeru said as he moved toward her.

"Why?"

"We need to dye your wings."

"What?"

"We're going to fly there and you can't expect to get there with white wings can you?" Yamato said.

Hikary frowned a little then slowly allowed her wings to appear behind her. The two princes both moved behind her and quickly dyed her wings, making sure no white feather could be seen. That done, Takeru threw a cap to the girl and a pair of glasses.

"You better wear those. You fooled me pretty well when we first met with that disguise so there's a good chance you'll be able to fool everyone else in this kingdom."

Hikary took the disguises in silence and wondered why Takeru was doing all of this for her. *No, he's not doing this for me, he's doing it for Earth* A little voice reminded her.

"Ready?" Takeru asked. She nodded.

Takeru spread his wings and Hikary noticed that her wings were not exactly the same colour but it was getting dark outside and so it wouldn't be easy to tell anyway. She felt a cool hand grab onto hers and flushed a little as Takeru led her over to the balcony. She was glad the cap hid most of her face.

They dropped silently into the shadows of trees and buildings as they made their way toward the gate. They made every use of the shadows when possible, trying to avoid as many as people as they could.

They made it to the gate with only one obsticle in their way and that was when Takeru found that they had to cross path with the guards that captured Hikary. He didn't notice anywhere for them to hide and he didn't think the disguises could fool those two. He did the only thing that came into mind. He grabbed Hikary's wrists, pinned her to a wall, and kissed her full on the mouth as the guards passed. They passed with a curious look at the couple but didn't recognize Hikary for Takeru's face almost completely hid the girl's face.

Hikary was too shocked at first to react and Takeru was grateful for that. He pulled away with an apologetic look.

"Sorry, I had to do that. I didn't think your disguise would have worked against those guards because they were the ones that captured you."

Takeru then turned to scan the surrounding to see if any more people were coming and didn't notice that Hikary didn't reply.

They made it to the gate without more problems and went to Earth so Hikary could find her own gate to go back.

"Well, you're save now. You better go back, your parents must be worried about you." He turned to go.

"Wait!" Hikary called.

Takeru stopped but didn't turn to face her.

"Why did you save me?" She asked.

*I can't tell her, I don't have the right to tell her.*

"I told you I did it for Earth."

"So all that you have told me were all lies?" *Please deny that, please*

*They're not lies, Hikary. But how can I tell you? I don't deserve forgiveness and I certainly don't deserve your friendship. Perhaps it's better if we stay this way. Away from each other. This way, I won't be able to hurt you again*

Takeru turned around then and answered.

"Yes."

Hikary felt as if something was tearing at her heart. She wanted to deny it but the truth was right in front of her. Takeru didn't care about her and there was no use hoping anymore. He had just told her that. She stared at the ground and shook.

"Hikary. . ." Takeru started.

"Liar!" Hikary suddenly burst out and stared straight into Takeru's eyes.

Takeru was taken back by the expression in her eyes and the tears that slipped down her cheeks.

"Liar!" She cried out again. "You said you were my friend and I trusted you, Takeru! I thought I could trust you!" And with that, she ran.

Takeru stood alone.

*It wasn't a lie Hikary, I really did mean that. But how can I tell you?*

He looked up at the star speckled sky.

*How can I ever tell you that I love you?*

***To Be Continued. . .***