Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost. ❯ She's totally into him ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER THREE
 
 
Less than a week to go before Christmas break, and the first of three performances.
 
One was going to be for the preschoolers, then another one for all the students in the high-school.
 
Finally, as a special treat before the break, the principal and student-body president had arranged for a Christmas-time Dance before the break. It would take place after one final performance.
 
And as an added bonus. Members of the cast required no admittance, so they could just go in and out as they pleased. They could even wear their costumes if they wished too.
 
 
Davis was as home the night before dress rehearsal for practice. He didn't have to learn his lines, because… well he wrote the script, he could do all his own performances with his eyes closed.
 
He was however trying on his costume, and it fit him perfectly. He really did look like someone totally different in that outfit.
 
Davis had one of the most fun and awesome roles in the play. Being Jack Frost, he got to dress like an elf super-hero, he got to fly on wires.
 
Izzy even had some special effects done that would make it look like Davis was really blowing freezing winds from his mouth.
 
The catch was how he wrote the entire story. He didn't just write them up from some book he read or a game he played. He wrote it all up from scratch, and selected the music, based on his feelings.
 
Davis sometimes did feel like the Jack Frost in his story. Well known, but never seen. Or in Davis' case, well known, but hardly appreciated.
 
True his friends did great jobs too in the past, but in the end it was always Davis who won the war for them. Davis who saved the world, and what did he get in return.
 
He got teased by Kari as she flirted with TK. His friends did give him their thanks but sometimes just acted as though he really wasn't there.
 
Davis wasn't even looking forward to the dance next week, because he was afraid he'd be one of he only people there with no date.
 
Usually Davis went all school dances, stag. No date, so he went alone hoping for the best. Bad idea!
 
All those happy couples, TK and Kari included. Davis always left early before the stress and envy ate him alive.
 
Every time he thought of asking Kari to the dance, he suddenly stopped at the last few feet, because she would mostly be talking with TK, but sometimes, if she was free… well--
 
He just chickened out.
 
Davis thought it over a lot. This year, he wasn't going to try and ask her out, or even go to the dance at that. He'd do his performance, then maybe stay around and receive a few compliments from the audience and then split.
 
Suddenly, there was a knock at his bedroom door. He heard Kari's voice from the other side, “Davis… can I come in?” she asked.
 
Davis almost thought the last thing he needed to see right now was Kari's face. “Yeah… come on in.” he called to her.
 
Kari came in. “Wow.” She said as she stared at him in his costume. “Davis, you look great.”
 
Davis almost blushed. “Gee… thanks.” He said. He also remembered back to earlier costume fittings how pretty Kari looked in the gown Sora made for Kari.
 
Remembering of course, that he designed it himself.
 
The body-part clung to her, accentuating her narrow waist, and it had a very full skirt, which flowed around her loosely. Her veil was held in place with a crown of white roses.
 
“You… looked pretty good in that wedding gown today too.” He replied.
 
Kari blushed this time. “Thanks.” She said. “You really are a great costume designer. Maybe you can get a career out of it.”
 
Davis rubbed his the back of his head. “Aw… I'm just an amateur.” He said. “Uh… how come you're here? I though you knew all your lines already.”
 
Kari hesitated a bit. “Davis… why did you write the end of the script the way it is?” she asked. “I've never seen anything like this in my life. Why are you doing this to yourself.”
 
Davis had a feeling someone was going to ask that. He didn't want her to know the real reason why, so he quickly came up with a fib.
 
“I just it thought it may be a change.” Davis said. “You know, so people would think differently about things, and know that they're not always as clear as you think.”
 
Kari could sense a tender bit of sadness in his words. “You're lying, Davis.” Was what she wanted to say, but for some reason. “Okay… I get it.” Was what she said instead.
 
“I… uh… better go.” And she left.
 
Davis turned his head to stare at the floor, catching a likeness in his carpet. “Real smooth Davis, real smooth.” He said to himself.
 
Meanwhile
 
Kari was sitting outside the building to her own apartment across the street. On a bench. It was snowing just a little bit, and it actually made the night sky look prettier.
 
Yolei came along on her way home from work “Kari?” she asked sitting down beside her. “What's wrong? You're looking down.”
 
Kari decided to come clean. “Alright… if you must know.” She said. “… I'm… I'm totally into Davis.”
 
Yolei's body went wild. “EEE! I knew it.”
 
“Yeah… but--” Kari replied, “I still don't know if he's willing to give us a chance anymore.”
 
“So then, why don't you go and ask him?” asked Yolei.
 
“Well I did, but He was just looking even more stranger than ever. I think he even lied to me about why he wrote his script ending the way it was.”
 
Yolei was also someone who questioned Davis about the end of the story and why it was the way it was, but Davis just fibbed his way out of it.
 
“I just don't know what to do anymore.” replied Kari. “I'm even kind of afraid of going to the dance, because I don't want to see him walk out again.”
 
Kari had been to every single school dance Davis ever went to, and there was not a single one of them that Davis didn't stay for the whole thing.
 
She hated how he walked out, broken hearted, wasted money, and dreading about it for days. “So just ask him to the dance.” Yolei suggested.
 
Kari was really not sure about that. Her last visit to Davis wasn't really about the script only, she was testing him to see if maybe she did still have a chance with him.
 
So far… Davis was still as deep down in the dumps as ever, and still keeping most of his distance from her, and who was to blame.
 
“I don't know, maybe I just wont go to the dance.” Kari said and she left to go inside.
 
Yolei shook her head in dismay. “Kari… if you don't get your act together, you could end up losing it all.” She said to herself.