Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost. ❯ Final Act: Unhappy endings can change ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER NINE
 
 
FINAL ACT
 
The stage light up with the towns people going wild with cheering.
 
Everyone who was new in the audience really hoped Davis' character would get the girl in time.
 
But wait.
 
If the story did have Davis winning the girl… then how is it that Davis was seen in the beginning of the play at the present day.
 
Unless…?! They all hoped dearly no.
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“Yes sir… the town's troubles were really over for good.”
 
“Jack Frost really thought everything was going to be happy-ever-after. Until--”
 
 
Only the bit of stage Davis and Ken were standing was lit up.
 
They were standing outside the door of the house.
 
 
Papa:
 
“You want my daughter's hand in marriage?”
 
“Well… you are a very nice kid, but… I only have one daughter, and look for yourself.
 
 
The inside of the house on the other side of the stage lit up as Davis peeked through they door.
 
Not only did Davis gasp at what he saw, but some of the people in the audience gasped to while the rest hung their heads low.
 
There was Kari in that wedding gown, and with TK by her side.
 
 
Papa:
 
“And would you believe, a knight for a son-in-law?
 
“The ceremony is at Noon. At the first stroke of Spring… You're, invited kid.”
 
 
Davis's lonely song played it's saddest and slowest tune ever as he shut the door ever so broken hearted.
 
Real tears of his own fell from his eyes.
 
 
Jack:
 
“I thought… she loved me.”
 
Papa:
 
“I never heard her say she loved anyone before Sir. Ravano. Except, Jack Frost… but she was just being silly. But she'll always love Jack Frost.”
 
“But no… I never heard her say she loved you… Jack Snip.”
 
 
So this was the bad ending Davis had been dreading.
 
Jack Frost became human only to lose the only woman he had ever loved, and revealed that he took what was merely a flight of fancy; a girl being in loved with Jack, for the real-thing.
 
Now he can only return to the task he has done for as long as he can remember, in which he feels so lonely, and will do so for all time.
 
 
(The town clock chimes twelve. Ken looks up and Davis smoke-changes back into Jack Frost)
 
Papa:
 
“Twelve-Noon… the big moment. Spring is here.”
 
(Looks towards Davis) “Hey!! Where did that little tailor go?”
 
 
The doors opened and the Bride and her Knight walked arm in arm down the steps to the wedding-bells theme.
 
Davis hovered near Kari, and he blew a small bit of wind, frosting her bouquet. But what awed the crowd the most… was Davis planting a soft kiss on Kari's cheek, and she pretended to feel it.
 
 
Sir. Ravano:
 
“What was that?”
 
Elisa:
 
(Tears of happiness in her eyes) “A old friend… kissed the bride.”
 
 
Everyone on stage waved goodbye to Davis as he soared up to the upper half of the stage where all the Sprites and Father-Winter were waiting for him.
 
The Jack Frost theme was also played.
 
 
Snip:
 
“Come on!! It wouldn't be winter without you.”
 
 
Everyone in the entire cast waved good-bye to the audience as the chorus began singing the tune.
 
 
Chorus: (Singing)
 
-If you try to turn around,
when you hear his icy sound.
He's sure to disappear…
But you know…
Yes you know…
 
(Davis hovers above the center of the stage and waves to the cheering crowd)
 
Then you know… Jack Frost is heeeeeeeeeeeeeere.
 
 
The stage blacked out, and the last spotlight focused on the Groundhog kid.
 
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“And that's the story of Jack Frost.”
 
(Yawns) “Well… I got to catch six weeks of sleep.” (Snuggles into bed) “Pardon-me.”
 
(Blacks-out, and a THE END sign flashes on the dark stage)
 
 
The crowd really went wild as the lights came back on.
 
“Beautiful!!”
 
“Loved it, Man!!”
 
 
Backstage everyone was exchanging high-fives and all that stuff. “Guys, we did it.” Said Tai as he took his beard off.
 
“That was awesome on those lights Izzy.” Said Matt.
 
Izzy winked. “Thanks, you did great wire work too.”
 
Everyone was so wrapped up in themselves, that no one noticed Kari slip quietly from the crowd, still in her wedding gown.
 
No one, except Yolei, who followed her outside.
 
“Kari… hey Kari wait up.” she called.
 
Kari turned around, and Yolei could see the tears in her eyes. “Yolei… I've lost him.” She cried. She told Yolei about what she heard Davis say. “There is no girl for me to go out with.”
 
Yolei felt heart struck. “He what?!” she said.
 
Kari pulled off her veil and rolled it up in her hands. The dress was hers to keep, as the costumes Davis designed he bought and paid for them in full.
 
She just wanted to go home now and try to wallow away her big loss. It was snowing, but it wasn't quite too cold for her to walk alone.
 
Yolei felt her anger rising. She had to find Davis and really give it to him just liked she promised she would.
 
No one deserved to have their hearts broken this close to Christmas.
 
Meanwhile
 
It didn't take long for the atrium to be redressed for the school dance, and things were already underway.
 
Couples were chatting, drinking punch, and some were already dancing to the soft playing music.
 
The Cast members of the play had received loads of compliments and reviews about their performance. Most of them even said they were sad that the story didn't have a happy-ending.
 
Davis, still in his Jack Frost costume, was starting to think and wish that maybe he should have changed the script, jut like Kari said.
 
Kari?
 
Where was she?
 
Davis didn't want to leave and go home yet without letting the rest of the gang know. After all, he did say he didn't want go out with anyone.
 
Or did he really mean that?
 
Just then, Yolei came barging into the atrium, still in her Mama costume. She marched right over to Davis and looked him dead in the eye and grabbed him.
 
“Hey, hey, hey… watch it! You're wrinkling my costume.”
 
“Shut up!” Yolei growled as she tightened her grip on him. “How could you do that to Kari?”
 
Davis looked confused. “Do what?” he asked. “Put her in a play that I wrote? Fixed the ending so I lost, and TK won?”
 
“No! How could you break her heart like that?” replied Yolei.
 
Now Davis was really confused. “What do you mean? I would never break Kari's heart.” He said. “She's the only girl I've ever had eyes for.”
 
“Then why don't you go tell her that?!” said Tai.
 
Davis soon found himself surrounded by the others. “Davis, to be honest with you…” said TK “I didn't like the way the play ended either. You really should've changed it.”
 
Those words coming from the guy who Kari always seemed to like more than him? Davis was most shocked. “But I thought… that's what everyone wanted to see. You and Kari together.”
 
“That's not the point Davis.” said Cody. “I've only recently been able to piece it together, but I know Kari really likes you, and it's about time you knew that.”
 
Davis' heart nearly skipped a beat. “Wh-- I-- You-- What?!” he chocked on his words. “She…?”
 
Everyone nodded. “Davis Kari's liked you for about as long as you've liked her.” said Sora. “She was just afraid to tell you.”
 
Ken nodded. “Yolei told me, that Kari told her that the main reason she always teased you was because she was trying to argue with her feelings.”
 
TK nodded in agreement. “It's true.”
 
Davis was starting to feel like a real jerk now for what he did in the play, and for trying to keep his cool.
 
“Davis…” said Tai. “It may be too late for Jack Frost to win the girl, but the guy who played him can still get the girl.”
 
Davis thought about it for just one glorious second, and then straightened out his outfit and stood like a real superhero. “I'm going to find her.” he said.
 
Davis took off for the door. “She said she was heading home!” Yolei called. “And take this with you.”
 
She pulled the pink flower she was wearing in her hair and tossed it to Davis. “You know it's Kari's favorite color… Now go get her Frost-Man!”
 
Davis winked and left.
 
 
It was still snowing, but Davis was warm enough in his Jack Frost suit as he ran up the dark streets. “Kari!” he called.
 
“Kari!!”
 
“Kari where are you?!”
 
Suddenly, there she was. She was sitting on a bench in the park, softly sobbing to herself and dabbing her eyes with the veil for her costume.
 
“Kari, I've been looking everywhere for you..” Davis panted as he came up to her. “Hey… you're crying.”
 
Kari looked up. “No I'm not.” She cried. “I have something… really big in my eye, and it's cold out here.” She totally lied on that as She got up and walked a few paces up and continued to cry softly.
 
Davis never saw Kari cry like his before, and he sure hated to see it. He picked up her veil and walked closer to her “Kari… they told me everything.” He said. “Why didn't you just come up and tell me before?”
 
Kari didn't even turn around. “Oh, what… like any girl could resist your heroic actions in the past, and what a sweet sensitive guy you can really be?” she sobbed
 
“I'm serious, Kari. Why didn't you tell me?”
 
“Look… maybe I was scared.” replied Kari. “Afraid that I'd screw up, make a big fool of myself and lose…” she sniffled. “The one guy… who means more to me than anyone else in the whole world.”
 
Davis was absolutely shocked. He had longed to hear those words from her for such a long time.
 
Kari finally turned around. “Are you just going to stand there?!” she snapped. “Why are you even here? I thought you were going home after the play.”
 
“Well maybe I had a change of mind.” said Davis. “No, check that… a change of heart!”
 
“Well what about you saying that there's no girl for you to go out with!”
 
“Maybe there is a girl for me to go out with and she's right here.” Davis said gesturing to her.
 
“Then why didn't you just come and ask me?”
 
“Maybe I was scared to.”
 
“Davis?!”
 
“No! Just shut up for a minute and let me say this!” Davis snapped. “Look… the reason I wrote the end of the story the way it was, is because I thought that was what you wanted, but I was wrong.”
 
Kari's eyes widened.
 
“Kari… all I could ever think about while I wrote that script was You. You were always on my mind, and that's where I found the idea's for all the music, the plot… even why I wanted us to be the main characters. Kari you inspire me.”
 
“I… I do?” Kari said holding her hands to her heart.
 
Davis nodded. “Kari… you're the only girl I've ever wanted to go out with, and want to go out with at all. No other girl in the whole world makes me feel the way you do.”
 
He smiled at her and handed Yolei's flower to her. “So I'm asking you… will you come to the dance with me?”
 
Kari smiled as she broached the flower onto her gown. She looked up at him and chocked on her tears. “Yes.” She said softly. “Yes, I will.”
 
Davis gently placed her veil back on her head. Then he held her face gently and slowly brought their lips together. Kari wrapped her arms around his neck, and he laid his hands upon her back.
 
Her veil and his cape both fluttered gently in the soft winter breeze as the snow fell all around them.
 
 
They went back to the dance arm in arm, and the entire crowd went even more wild than they did when they play ended.
 
“Alright, Davis!” said Yolei.
 
“Way to go man.” TK said, as they high-fived.
 
A lot of people in the audience were so happy. They play may not have ended happily-ever-after… but it looked as though Jack Frost did get his dream girl after all.
 
The crowd even allowed Kari and Davis a special slow dance all to themselves, and they Danced across the floor like the two magical creatures they were dress as.
 
At the end of that, Yolei and the others had put together a little something to celebrate. “Davis… could you whistle for us again?” Tai called.
 
Davis didn't know what they intended with that but he stood in the center of the room, held his head up, and did his Jack Frost whistle.
 
The lights came on and a giant crate of white confetti began drizzling down from the ceiling. The crowd went wild, and they even played the Jack Frost theme.
 
The kid who played the groundhog was on stage with Yolei, Mimi, and Sora to sing the words.
 
(-Listen… Listen)
You can hear him spread winter as he goes.
(Jack Frost… Jack Frost.)
 
Everyone went wild as the pretend snow continued to fall, and Davis chuckled just like he did in the play.
 
Suddenly, Davis felt Kari pull him back towards her. “Merry Christmas Jack Frost.” Kari said. “Merry Christmas to you too My fair Elisa.” Davis said.
 
They kissed again, and the crowd went wild.
 
-If you try to turn around,
(Jack Frost)
when you hear his icy sound.
(Jack Frost)
He's sure to disappear…
But you know…
(Yes you know…)
 
(EVERYONE)
 
Then you know… Jack Frost is heeeeeeeeeeeeeere.