Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Dark Journey ❯ The Need ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 The need
 
Morgan started on an explanation of his and his friends past. “We were the five original digi-destined, summoned to fight an evil digimon that had come out from behind the wall of fire. Some people were saying it was the devil himself. We eventually defeated him with the help of several powerful digimon allies, several of them angelic digimon, which turned out to be the key to victory. We also had help from those who had no forms. Like gennai. Unfortunately, our enemy split into The Seven Great Demon Lords that formed him to begin with.”
 
Zach took over the explanation. “Although we fought and held back these, with the exception of one, we could not defeat them, only trap them in the dark area, that is, this place. But we could only hold them so long. We had only one way to stop them. We split the digital world. It ended up in many different pieces, which eventually recompleted themselves. The four closest were the ones you all are from. In so splitting the digital world, we split up the Dark Area, and the 7 great demon lords. Lucemon ended up in your digital world Takuya, Belphemon in yours Masaru, Daemon in yours Davis, and Beelzemon's egg found its way into the Tamer's world, that is, Henry's digital world. I guess, if what Henry said is right, that he wound up as a partner digimon, and defeated his evil impulses. So that's one to cross off the list. But it isn't just the Demon Lord's the live here. Every evil digimon that is destroyed, Every digimon that becomes incomplete, missing vital data that allows it to stay a digimon, is sent here. Most reform as Dark Servants. Some actually manage to completely reform themselves. Some combine with each other to create new digimon.”
 
“That sounds bad.”
 
“It is, but the real problem remains the Demon Lords. They're leader, Barbamon, along with Lillithmon, found a way to reunite the fragments of the Dark Area, bringing back 6 of the demon lords. This act is bringing the pieces of the digital world back together, but they no longer fit. They are not meant to put back together. It will result in possibly their complete annihilation, or perhaps simply partial annihilation, that will still cause massive damage and death to both the digital worlds and the earths they are connected to.”
 
“So that's why you brought us here?”
 
“Yes, we are now once again facing nearly the full strength of the Demon Lords, as well as many other powerful evil digimon that also oppose us. Alone, we don't stand a chance. But each of you has already succeeded in stopping or defeating these evils in your own worlds. They do not truly stand united, they squabble, plan, and manipulate as always they did. But by bringing together and uniting the most powerful digi-destined from the 4 primary pieces, we can stop them.”
 
Kari asked a question that had been eating at her. “Zach, what happened to your earth? Is it gone?”
 
Zach sighed, suddenly saddened. Kari immediately wished she hadn't asked. But before she could apologize, Leo answered. “We're from your earth Kari, near as we can tell. We just can't be back. We sealed ourselves into the Dark area to keep the last 3 demon lords from escaping from the Isolated section of the Dark area. After that, we hid in these cleansed zones, places in the Dark area that had been fully and completely purified of them, that were protected by invisible and impenetrable barriers. Well, mostly impenetrable. We've lost all but this place, at the same time Barbamon reunited the Dark Area.”
 
“That's so sad.”
 
Masaru stood up. “Yosh, Daimon Masaru-sama shall now go and talk fist to fist with these demon lords, and teach them a lesson.”
 
“Masaru, sit down. You aren't showing the proper respect for these Demons, 6 of the 7 are Megas, and Lucemon is just as powerful as any mega. We have tons of other ultimates and megas to fight through also, AND nobody can digivolve past champion right now. Most of you won't even be able to reach champion.” Leo sighed as Masaru grumpily sat down.
 
“What? What do you mean? Why can't we digivolve?”
 
Tina finally broke into the conversation. “Because all digimon not of the virus type or who are angelic are unable to digivolve in the Dark area during their initial exposure. The only other exception is armor digivolving. Oh, and Ken's D3. you based the Control spires off of the effect of the Dark area, didn't you, Ken? But you made sure your D3 was unaffected.”
 
Ken just nodded and shivered. Yolie hugged him closer to her.
 
“Ken actually perfected the natural effect of the Dark area mist. Inside these zones, you could probably digivolve to champion at least, but most of you wouldn't be able to get out without damaging the barrier. Of course, the mist's effect can be overcome, but it will be a while for most of you. I think that the only ones who'll be able to digivolve are those with the D3s.”
 
Henry added something. “Say that again Henry, louder this time?”
 
“I think Guilmon will be able to digivolve. He's a virus type.”
 
That surprised the others. “Virus types don't generally have partners. They can't stand them usually.”
 
“except for the Hazard sign, and his ferocity in battle, you'd never know. He's usually a pretty nice guy. But once he digivolved into Megidramon.” Tina gasped. She almost fainted, which was extremely, extremely out of character for her. Henry, sitting near, caught her.
 
“You mean HE did all that damage! How the hell did Takato make him digivolve to freakin Megidramon!” Zach was on his face, his face red.
 
“Takato wanted revenge for Leomon's death. But what damage are you talking about.”
 
“A few years ago, there was a near fatal systems meltdown. It effected even the isolated sector of the Dark area, granting access to the outside for Barbamon.”
 
Lucas looked over at Takato and Rika. “you know, I'm starting to think it was Barbamon who ordered that attack on you Tamers. In fact, he probably knew or guessed Takato would end of taking that attack. Saving Rika may have saved his life. It would be just Barbamon's style to “Thank” someone who was powerful enough to help him, by making sure they could never do that for anyone else.”
 
“Somebody should tell Rika that. Hey, Henry, how did You guys stop Megidramon.” Tina, still supported by Henry, looked right into him when she asked that question. Henry blushed, and looked back at the others.
 
“Takato realized what he'd done, and manage to reconnect with Megidramon, who de-digivolved to Guilmon. Then Takato and Guilmon biomerged into Gallantmon, and fought Beelzemon to a standstill.”
 
“How exactly can a single human digimon mega hybrid fight a Demon lord to a standstill? Especial if they had no battle experience?” asked Cody02.
 
“Well, He is a Royal knight,” Ikuto said.
 
“What!” Takuya jumped up with a half roar and Koji actually looked he was paying attention. “But they Royal knights are Evil! They work for Lucemon!”
 
Leo spoke this time. “In your world they do, maybe, but generally the Royal knights are the greatest protectors of the Digital world. And Gallantmon is one of their strongest members.”
 
“The Gallantmon from our Digital world beat Shinegreymon Burst Mode. Easily. And he beat Belphemon.”
 
“There's your answer as to how Gallantmon could tie a Demon lord. I expect neither was at their full potential power, but still, it makes sense. The Royal Knights were formed during our time in the digital world, by our strongest ally, Imperialdramon Paladin mode, who was killed in the final battle.”
 
Davis, Ken, Wormmon, and Veemon all stared at each other, then burst out laughing. “You mean our digimon, or two like them, founded the Royal knights?”
 
“Yes, I do mean that. Which is why the Royal knights, in several forms, appeared in various digital worlds,” tossed in Zach. “They were founded before we split the digiworld.”
 
Davis sat back and looked at Veemon, Veemon looked at him. Then they grinned like the two biggest idiots ever.
 
“oh gee, thanks Zach, now you've done it, we'll never hear the end of it from those two,” howled Gatomon.
 
“ok guys, one more question, then everybody needs to get some rest.”
 
“Why is it only us that were summoned, why not all of digi-destined?”
 
“Your digi-vices are more powerful than the others. That giant pedestal right there, that's called the Digi-caller. It can summon Digi-destined into the digital world to perform a task. We 5 used it to summon all of you. It was told to find the signals of the most powerful digi-vices in each world, then used whatever method of travel is typically used between your earth and digital world to summon you here. The D3s are far more powerful than the regular digi-vices, and the only ones capable of opening a portal to the digital world, so you were all summoned. For the Tamers, the 3 of them have modified D-arcs that include the power to perform bio-merge, something the other tamers can't do. Takuya and Koji's D-tectors are upgraded to all them to fuse their beast and human spirits, and to fuse the spirits into emperorgreymon and magnagarurumon, and sussonamon. The burst digi-vices are the most powerful form of Digi-vice in Masaru's world, so the Digi-caller targeted his completed signal.”
 
“What do you mean by completed signal?”
 
“Yoshino and Touma have burst digi-vices too. Why weren't they called.”
 
“And there was one more who could bio-merge. Ryo.”
 
“Completed signal means both the digimon and their partner are present in the in the same world. Since digi-vices connect a human and a digimon's heart, the signal it broadcasts is incomplete if the partners aren't together. If Ryo and his partner, and Touma and Yoshino's partners were still in the digital world, then the Digi-caller wouldn't find their signal, or their completed signal, since it only scans the different earths.”
 
“Alright, everyone, get some sleep. Not much in the way of accommodations, unfortunately.”
 
The groups dispersed to different locations to get some sleep, still splitting mostly along world boundaries, although several of the digimon gathered round Takuya, since he happened to exude a certain amount of heat at all times. Koji slept in a tree, by himself. Renamon slept in the tree above Rika. Morgan walked around passing out what he called “not quite home, made blankets.” Henry took one, and together with Terriermon, selected a spot close enough to keep an eye on Takato and Rika, but at a great enough distance that he wouldn't disturb Rika. Tina walked over to Rika with some blankets.
 
She came up and sat down next to Rika. “Here.” She handed her a blanket.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“I thought you should know, we think we figured out who attacked you and Takato and Henry. Barbamon. It's his way of thanking people who unintentionally help him. He was after Takato, so trying to save you from that dark energy shot probably saved his life. If he hadn't, he'd most likely have been either vaporized on the spot or corrupted and turned into some kind of evil possessed person. He wouldn't have been Takato anymore.”
 
Rika nodded and gave a small smile. Tina stood up and walked off to Commandramon. She left her blanket behind. Henry had watched the exchange, not tired in the slightest. He watched her walk away, thinking and daydreaming.
 
Rika felt a tear roll down her cheek. “So it wasn't me, it wasn't my fault. Oh Takato. Don't worry, whoever this Barbamon guy is, I'll get him for you. He's gonna pay, bigtime.”
 
Ken, also not tired, was walking round the pedestal when the Light went out like a switch. It startled several of the group, but the 5 and the tamers, the two that were awake, were completely unfazed. That was how the digital world they came from worked. Noticing this, the others calmed down immediately. Ken kept walking till he came across leo, back to a tree, Masaru and Ikuto also had their back to the same tree, but they were already asleep. Agumon was sleeping next to Masaru, and Falcomon was perched in the tree. Ken noticed Leo was holding some beads in his hands. He seemed to be counting them. Leo noticed his interest and smiled. “I'm praying. The rosary. Done it every night since I was 9. I always sleep good afterwards.”
 
“The Rosary? That's one of those Church prayers, right?”
 
“It is a prayer to God and a prayer for the intercession of the Blessed Virgin, Mary, who is the mother of God, crazy as most non-believers seem to find it. It has never failed me yet though. I'm 1/4 Irish, raised Catholic straight from birth. Of course, my parents decided I should actually be educated about what I believe, so I know more than most cradle Catholics. It was from the Church and God that I learned what respect means, and how to respect everything.” Ken, unable to sleep, decided to sit down and listen. He hadn't actually tried God yet, as a way to figure out his trouble and sorrows, especially Sam.