Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Dark Journey ❯ Takato Awakens ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 Takato Awakens
 
“ooooohhhhhhhhh, what was that?” Takato groaned as he returned to consciousness. He seemed to be someplace really unfamiliar, he had no idea where. He couldn't, at the moment, recall what he had been doing, and he wondered what the burning sensation on his back was. And what the weight was.
 
“Hey, welcome back to the living.” Henry said. “Don't sit up, you're still hurt, and you'll disturb Rika.”
 
“Huh?” He shifted a little, managing to look back. Rika's head was lying on his upper back. She was sleeping peacefully, but with a determined look on her face. “Uh, Henry, what's going on here?”
 
“She's been watching you all night. I guess exhaustion finally caught up with her, and she fell asleep.”
 
“Muhh? Takato!” Guilmon had awoken. He was about to hug Takato till he noticed Rika. He stopped.
 
“Hey buddy. Uh, do me a favor and save the hug for later. Now's not a good time.”
 
“I'll get Zach. Guilmon, watch Takato.”
 
Henry walked off to locate Zach.
 
Takato shifted again. This time, Rika stirred and woke up and sat up. “huh?” she said, rubbing her eyes. Then she realized Takato was awake, because he was looking at her. “Takato!” He smiled nervously. “uh, Henry said you were watching after me all this time. I uh, well, thanks.”
 
She blushed scarlet. “Well, uh, I, uh, I was just trying to repay the favor,” she stammered.
 
This time he grinned. “sure.”
 
She stood up and walked off.
 
“Guilmon, why can't girls, especially Rika, ever admit what their feeling?”
 
“uh…”
 
“Morning sleeping beauty. Final woke up did you? And made your girlfriend mad at the same time. You sure work quickly.” Henry had returned with Zach.
 
“She's not my girlfriend, or at least, I didn't think she was, I mean, she is a girl, and she…”
 
“I'm just messing with you. Now, let's get a look at that back of yours. You might be able to get up already. Just be conscious of the fact you don't have a back to your shirt right now.” He bent down, and examined the back. Morgan came over, made his own examination, and agreed with Zach. “The redness is receding, you are one fortunate guy. Guess your friends believed in you. You should be good, just be careful. It will still hurt for a while.”
 
Takato stood up. He brushed the dirt off his shirt and pants. “anything to eat?”
 
“Bread!” Guilmon shouted.
 
Morgan shook his head. “we have food, But no bread.”
 
“Come on people, food time! Get it while it's hot, we don't serve cold. And I'm not joking here.”
 
“Why isn't he joking? Tell me he was joking about not joking,” said Davis to no one in particular, as he walked over. Lucas answered anyways. “Food found in the dark area only stays edible while it's cooked and hot. Once it cools off, we have to throw it out or we get sick from eating it. And reheating it doesn't work.” Lucas walked over to the steaming pot. “What's it today Leo?”
 
“Commandramon found some plum apples and blue cherries, and some black fish, along with water we could cook with. Blazermon cooked it to perfection, well, figuratively speaking.”
 
“So we actually have good tasting stuff for once?” Leo nodded
 
“Alright, we have plumapple, blue cherry, black fish stew for breakfast. Line up to eat. Don't worry this is good stuff.” He eagerly got a bowl full himself.
 
As the other got their food and started eating, there were murmurs of agreement. It was good, one of the best stews any of them had ever had in fact. Just then Rika came walking back. Tina handed her a bowl of stew, and one for Renamon. She sat down on a rock near the barrier. Takato told Guilmon to stay, and walked over to her and sat down next to her.
 
“What do you want Takato?” she inquired, in a voice full of so many different things it was impossible to figure out what they were.
 
“I, uh, just wanted to say I'm sorry for making you mad.”
 
“Don't you dare, Gogglehead,” she replied in a firm voice, although there was something in it, and it wasn't anger. It seemed sweeter.
 
“I, uh, ok. Hey, since when did you start calling me Gogglehead again?” he asked her, mystified.
 
“since I just decided those goggles are really cute on you.” She replied, red in the face.
 
“These things are cute on me?” He asked, looking up towards his goggles that he pulled off his head. When he looked back down he was staring straight into Rika's face, which was right next to his.
 
“Yes, they do,” she replied, then kissed him, hard. He stared at her as she put her hand on his knee, and the other on the back of his head, pushing it into the kiss. After a moment he got into it himself, and pulled her into him.
 
Kari started giggling and whispering with Yolie when she noticed. Most of the boys who noticed just stared, especially Henry, who could not believe what he was seeing. In fact he nearly refused to believe it. Tina smirked. Renamon, sitting in “her” tree, raised an eyebrow. Terriermon, however, smart alec as ever, managed to put what everyone was thinking into words.
 
“Now that's not something you see everyday. In fact, I don't believe you see that at all. You're falling behind Henry.” Henry reached up and clamped a hand over Terriermon's mouth.
 
Rika, after Takato, was the most surprised by what she'd done. She was also the one who broke the kiss, panting as she grinned and blushed scarlet. Takato, also panting, looked at her.
 
“Where did that come from?” he asked.
 
“I was just saying thank you for saving me.” She blushed deeper.
 
“Well I like the way you thank people, I'm going to have to earn your gratitude more often.”
 
She giggled and shoved him. He nearly lost his seat, didn't, then started tickling her stomach and side. She laughed this time.
 
“I wish I could do that with Kari.” There was general laughter at this comment by Davis. Only then did Rika realize she had just done that in front of everybody.
 
Takuya had picked up the banter, wondering if he looked more appealing since he became a digimon. More laughter.
 
Rika darted off behind the tree. Kari and Yolie followed her.
 
Takato got up and walked back over to his meal, which was no longer there, Guilmon having eaten it. Leo gave him another bowl full, saying he needed to eat even more than the rest of them. All the guys except Koji, Masaru and Ikuto quickly gathered in a throng to congratulate Takato. Ikuto sat there and thought of Chika. Masaru bopped him. “no thinking about doing that with my sister, got it?” Ikuto rubbed his head and nodded, grinning. Then they both burst out laughing.
 
Koji finished eating, then started doing some of his martial arts exercises, for lack of any better ideas of doing stuff alone. Henry, deciding to ask Takato about it when he wasn't being mobbed, walks over to the human/digimon hybrid, which looked very much like a werewolf. “Mind if I join you?” He asked, as he watches Koji.
 
“only if you can't keep up,” koji replies in a low growling voice.
 
Henry starts his own, keeping good pace with Koji/Strabimon. He starts thinking, finding the exercise relaxing. The others have split up to talk or chat. Takato, TK, Davis, Takuya, and Masaru went off with Morgan and Lucas, probably to talk strategy, make a plan or something. Normally Henry would have wanted to be in on it too, but not right now, there was too much on his mind. After a bit, Koji challenges him to a sparing match. Most of the digimon are by this time watching, as well as Ken, Cody, Tina, and Ikuto.
 
They were in the middle of a more or less even match, neither putting everything in it, mostly to conserve energy, when there was a shout from Zach. It distracted Henry just enough that Koji landed a good solid blow, inadvertently scratching him the process. Henry landed on his rear, holding his side. Koji stretched out a hand. “not bad, but your distracted too easily.” Henry just nodded.
 
“Everybody, come look at this! I've found something!” Zach was shouting. Everybody, and I mean everybody, gathered round, jostling for a good look, except for the girls, who happened to be closest and got there first. Rika found herself next to Takato, noticed this, noticed he noticed, and looked anywhere but at him. He sighed and looked back at Zach.
 
“It's some kind of hollow section on the pedestal. Just a sec and I think I can open it.” He was typing furiously. He grinned, reached up, and tapped a symbol on the pedestal. A hatch popped open. He reached in and pulled out 5 things. 4 of them were tags, the fifth was a blue card.
 
The D3 group and the tamers gasped. “Tags and crests, but I only recognize two of them.” He tossed one of the crests to Leo. “Respect.” He tossed the next one to Morgan. “Destiny. But I don't know these two.”
 
Ken spoke. “I know one of them. That's my crest of kindness.” He reached his hand out. The Tag and Crest glowed, and appeared in his hand. He held it up to look at. “now these last two. Anybody know anything about this one? I think it's the Crest of Miracles.”
 
Veemon spoke up. “Wasn't it the digi-egg of Miracles that let me digivolve to Magnamon?”
 
Cody answered, “yes.”
 
Davis mused, “I wonder.” He stretched out his hand, and the Tag and Crest appeared in it. He blinked. “Cool, I have a crest now!”
 
Cody and Yolie looked at each other glumly. “Even Davis has a crest? Now you and I are the only ones without crests.”
 
Ken kissed her lightly on the cheek. “That's ok Yolie, you're perfect without one.”
 
She snuggled up to him, then kissed his cheek. “Thanks Ken.” Takato made a face.
 
“There's too much mushy stuff going on here.”
 
“Hey!” Rika snapped, and Takato instantly shut up and started looking nervous. Then she grinned at him. He relaxed, but just a little. This whole thing with Rika was really starting to get confused. He wondered if they could talk about it, maybe figure a few things out.
 
Zach picked up the Blue Card. He examined it, flipped it around, eyed it, then started, “Now this…”
 
“Is a Blue Card,” stated Takato, Rika and Henry, all at the same time.
 
“Right. But it's more than just a blue Card.”
 
“We know. It's used to allow matrix digivolution, which is how our digimon reach Ultimate level,” Henry explained. “and it is what made the three of us tamers.”
 
“But do you grasp the concept of how? I do. It essentially carries all the extra data a digimon would normally use to digivolve to ultimate, and stores it in card form, so it can work as modify card just like regular cards, except it modifies the digimon into ultimates. The algorithm that does this has got to be genius. I hope I get to meet whoever wrote it.”
 
Takato blinked. “how do you figure all that just be looking at it.”
 
“I can read bar codes and card code data by looking. That, and it has the code printed in blue on the card. See here, the blue is actually the blue data coding.”
 
Cody bent closer, so did Henry. They both blinked. “He's right. Damn, I never noticed.”
 
“You're starting to remind me of Izzy.”
 
“Did someone say my name?” a voice came out of the computer.
 
“What the hell was that?” asked Takuya.
 
“It appears somebody has hacked into my video/audio system. You say your name is Izzy? Wouldn't happen to be the partner of Tentomon, would you?”
 
There was a pause, then the voice asked. “How do you know about tentomon? Who is this!?”
 
“My names Zach, and you're the one who hacked my computer.”
 
Another pause, then, “Well, yeah, but I was just following the signal the D3's through my laptop and digivice. Why did I find your computer?”
 
Zach blinked, then realized nobody had hacked his laptop. He clicked out of the current program and typed in a command. The digital portal appeared. It was open, sort of. The communication line worked, but according to the portal status, nothing else should actually be able to use it. “Because my computer was the only one near enough to the D3s to have the portal program active. Lucky for all of us, it's comm. only.”
 
“Hey Izzy, it's Ken. I'm here with TK, Davis, Kari, Yolie, and Cody. We've uh, made some new friends. Switch to the digiportal and you should get streaming video. We can see you.”
 
Izzy did, then blinked as the image he got was of Zach, but he could see Ken next to Zach, as well as Yolie with a couple other people in the background. “ok, what is going on here. I got calls from all the other digi-destined, saying first that TK and Kari were missing, then I find out all 6 of you are gone. I plug my digivice into the computer, to see if I can pick up a signal, and I start hearing somebody say me name. it sounded like Cody.”
 
“It was. I was comparing Zach to you,” Cody replied.
 
“Ok, now, I'll ask again, someone explain what is going on.”
 
Davis answered this time. “We've been called off on another adventure. This time we're fighting something called the 7 great demon lords.”
 
Izzy's head practically blew. “What!? You think you can take on the 7 great demon lords of the digital world? I looked them up once, their worse that malomyotism or appocallymon. By a factor of 7.”
 
“Which is why these six weren't the only ones we called for help.”
 
“Huh? We? And who else could whoever you are call for help?”
 
“I expect this is going to take a while. Henry, Takuya, and Ikuto stay. And I need one of you 6 to stay as well. The rest of you can go for now. This will take some time,” Zach stated.
 
The 3 named stayed, as well as Ken, who gave Yolie a kiss before she went off. Takato started to follow Rika, but she turned to him, and said, “Not right now Gogglehead. Ok?” He nodded and went off with Davis and TK. He'd missed the explanation the first couple of times, so he wanted to get filled in and ask a few questions about some of his favorite digimon characters.
 
Ken sat down with Takuya, Henry, Ikuto and Zach. He gave a cursory explanation of things with Zach, then they got into the whole alternate dimensions bit and the 5 original digi-destined. Izzy was stunned. “I've contacted the others. We'll let their families know. And I'm setting up a program to alert me whenever the portal program activates. That way you can contact me as needed.”
 
Zach nodded. “We'll keep you updated as we can. Stay on the line though, I want to try something. Henry, I need your D-Arc. Don't worry, you'll get it back. I'm going to try and contact your dimension.”
 
“Alright. Try my dad. And a guy named Yamaki.” He handed Zach his D-Arc. Zach pulled out a connection wire, and plugged the D-arc in. He started running analysis and signal tracking programs. “The Reason I need you on the line Izzy, is because I need want to see if I can use the Digi-portal to make a connection to Henry's dimension.”
 
“Right, using the residual particles on the Digivice to create a base for the signal unit, so it can identify the trail and trace it back to the correct point of origin. Then you can…”
 
“Connect to their internet, and send some emails. There, got it. Alright Henry, what should I say to your Dad?”
 
Henry grinned. “Hey Takuya, can you go get Takato and Rika, they might have messages too.”
 
“Good idea.” Takuya nodded and dashed off at a swift four legged pace. He popped up next to Takato, said a couple words, then zipped off to get Rika. He returned a bit later.
 
“I offered her a ride, but she insisted on walking,” he told the arriving Takato with a grin. Takato punched him on the arm, not hard, just enough to sting, at least with normal kids. Instead, he came away rubbing his hand. Takuya grinned. “Yet another perk of being a digimon.”
 
“So what's happening?” Rika asked as she walked up.
 
“Zach found a way to contact home. We can all send emails to our families, zach says he may even be able to make video contact with the Hypnos system.”
 
“Yamaki?” Rika asked.
 
“Well, he has been actually helpful ever since we went into the digital world.”
 
“He may be more than just a little helpful. I understand the concept, but without the proper equipment, I can't actually make more blue cards, even by copying the original. My little laptop doesn't have the processing power. Izzy, you still there?”
 
“yes.”
 
“There could be backwash, expect to have yourself connected simultaneously to 3 different dimensions.”
 
“Ding.”
 
Zach grinned. “we have full connection. Now, the emails.” He took dictations from Henry, Takato, and Rika, and then sent the emails. Then he sent one more for Yamaki. “I used a priority program. The emails will open themselves and set to display after several seconds. Had to power off Izzy's processor though.”