Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digital Ai ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digital Ai
By Sakura
Chapter 1

Daisuke angrily wiped the tears from his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt. “Dai?” his blue digimon partner asked, wondering what had made the usually energetic redhead sad.
“Stupid birthdays. Who needs ‘em,” the boy muttered, not hearing Chibimon. He then took out his D-3 after having booted the digiport program on his computer. “Digi-port open!” he said, his voice wavering. He let himself be sucked into the machine not bothering to wait for Chibimon or pick up his D-Terminal.
“Hey Dai wait for me!” the little digimon said leaping off the bed and at the computer, but the portal closed behind the boy and Chibimon only succeeded in hitting his head on the screen and bounced onto the floor. “Why didn’t you take me with you?” he said, more hurt that his partner had forgotten him than from the fall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The redheaded keeper of Courage and Friendship sat in the middle of a meadow, leaning against the ruins of control spire only recently destroyed. He shivered slightly as the rain continued to fall. His head rested on his knees as the day’s events played over in his head.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daisuke woke up, excited. He was finally thirteen and that meant he’d finally be getting a racing bike. He hurriedly dressed and raced from his room. The apartment was empty, no big surprise since the other occupants of the Motomiya home were early risers and usually had to leave earlier than him.
Spying a note on the kitchen table, he frowned. His parents said they had to go to some business function for a few days and that Jun would be staying at a friend’s for the whole time. That left him with no other choice but to crash with one of the other digidestined since he really didn’t trust himself in the kitchen. It also meant no birthday cake and more importantly, no racing bike. “Great. Just great,” he muttered under his breath as he retrieved the breakfast left for him from the fridge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“I’m sorry, Daisuke,” Hikari said during homeroom. “My cousins are coming ove from Hokkaido for a visit and we’re cramped as it is.”
“Hey no prob,” the redhead replied, mildly disappointed, but he really didn’t expect the keeper of Light to agree to let him stay. She always turned down his dates so why let him stay? “I can always ask one of the others.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Sorry Dai, I’m staying at Yama’s this week,” Takeru said as he and Daisuke sat down for lunch.
“’S ok, T.A.,” he replied. “Maybe Iori or Miyako’ll let me crash with them.”
“I’m sorry to hear your parents ran out on you again,” the blond said sympathetically.
“Yeah, well I’m kinda used to being by myself a lot so I really don’t care. They’ve been doing that for years.” He then went back to devouring his meal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“I’d really like to help, but I don’t think you should stay,” Iori had said during P.E. “Mom’s still angry about that antique vase you broke the last time you were over.”
“Yeah, guess not,” Daisuke muttered, sadly. “I’ll try Miyako then.” ‘If she doesn’t let me stay, then I’m doomed,’ he thought to himself.
“Good luck,” the shorter boy said, but the redhead didn’t hear him, having been called over by the teacher.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Daisuke! You stupid klutz! Look what you did!” Miyako’s clothing was covered with paint, glue and multicolored bits of paper. “Now we’ll have to start all over!”
He and the lavender haired keeper of Love and Sincerity had been working on a papier-mâché piñata for their art class and being his usually clumsy self, Daisuke had managed to bump into the table, knocking the project over into his partner and onto the floor, denting it as well as spilling the paint and glue he’d been carrying.
“Guess this’d be a bad time to ask if I can crash at your place while my folks are out of town then,” he said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head.
“Damn right it is!” she spat back at him and went to make another mold.
“Now what am I supposed to do?” he said gloomily.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Hey half-pint!” Jun said in greeting and picked up her suitcase. “Well, see ya in a few days, kiddo.” The older Motomiya then left her brother, not bothering to wish him a happy birthday or even spare him a second glance.
“Thanks for remembering, sis!” he said venomously. As if being hurt and practically ignored by his friends on his birthday wasn’t bad enough, he had to deal with being ignored by his own family as well. Especially when they had no excuse to forget since all he could talk about for weeks earlier was his birthday. Tears fell unheeded down his cheeks.
“Why do they always hate me?” he asked the now empty apartment, sobbing. He ran into his room, slamming the door and turning on his computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That had been an hour ago. He had managed to stop sobbing, but every so often the tears would break loose and he’d be forced to soak his sleeves even further. However, he was glad it was raining. ‘At least no one can see me cry,’ he had thought when water began to pour from the sky.
“Hey Daisuke!”
The boy looked up to see Takeru waving at him. Iori and a still angry Miyako standing next to the blond. Not really wanting to deal with the other digidestined let alone let them see his still red and puffy eyes, Daisuke shot up and ran in the opposite direction.
“That’s weird,” the keeper of Hope said, “Why’d he run like that?”
“Who the heck cares,” Miyako said angrily, “We’d probably get more done without the baka anyway.”
Takeru shrugged his shoulders, deciding to go on with their plans for the day. If Daisuke wanted some space, then he’d let him have it – they could always track him with their D-3’s if necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daisuke ran, not caring where he was or where he was going. He just wanted to get as far from it all as possible. Little did he know that he’d run deep into Kaizer occupied territory. In fact, he didn’t notice where he was until he ran into something hard, yet somewhat pliant. “Ooph,” he said, nearly falling over.
“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” said a rather amused and curious Kaizer. The digidestined almost never came to the digital world on their own let alone without their partner.
“Y-You!” the redhead said, realizing he almost plowed over his enemy and secret crush.
“Me,” the indigo haired tyrant replied, smirking. “Mind telling me what you’re doing in my digital world and without any protection no less.” It was more of an order than a question.
Daisuke wanted to say something flippant, but the pain of being ignored by all those around him was still too fresh. “You all hate me!!” he wailed and began sobbing again.
Shocked at his adversary’s outburst, the Kaizer stood motionless for countless seconds. When he could finally move, the indigo haired boy took the heartbroken Daisuke into his arms and started rubbing soothing patterns on the redhead’s back. “I don’t,” he whispered in his ear as Daisuke continued to sob into his chest while clutching the bodysuit.
On the inside, the Kaizer was seething. No one but he was allowed to make his archrival miserable. He silently swore he’d make whoever did this would pay. And pay dearly.
“I don’t hate you, Dai-chan,” he said again when Daisuke’s cries subsided somewhat. The Kaizer surprised him by gently smiling at him. “You’re my worthy adversary after all,” he said, running a hand through the soft red hair. “How could I possibly hate you? Now tell me why you were here all by yourself.” The words were gentle, but the voice still had the demanding edge that comes with all rulers.
Daisuke looked timidly at the Kaizer, unsure of his enemy’s surprising and sudden kindness. The other boy nodded, still smiling gently, indicating that he’d wait until he felt like talking. “Perhaps you’d like to talk elsewhere? Get out of the rain, maybe?” he asked, feeling the boy in his arms shiver.
The redhead nodded, “Please?”
The Kaizer found himself suddenly reluctant to let Daisuke go, but forced his arms to detach themselves and motioned for him to follow, which the digidestined did without question. The two then shortly found themselves heading toward the digital tyrant’s fortress on the back of a spiraled Airdramon. The redhead let the Kaizer wrap his cape around them, glad for the comfort against the biting wind and cold rain as well as the pain in his heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daisuke looked around in awe as the Kaizer’s servants bowed and scraped and generally made a fuss over him. The fortress was a huge L-shape structure that hovered and moved around the digital world. ‘That’s why we were never able to find him,’ he thought upon learning that the fortress was mobile.
“You should get out of those wet clothes,” the indigo haired boy said, removing his cape and throwing it to a green caterpillar type digimon. Daisuke stared at him for several moments. “Or would you prefer if I let you catch pneumonia?” he asked, with a slight hit of annoyance.
“Oh… um.. sorry,” the digidestined replied, blushing as he removed his flame painted jacket and handing it to the caterpillar.
“The rest Dai-chan,” the Kaizer ordered when he saw the boy hadn’t moved.
“But… um…” said a very red Daisuke.
“I don’t believe this!” he said exasperated, then dragged him down the hall and into what apparently was the Kaizer’s own bedroom. “We’re both boys Daisuke! Now get those clothes off!”
The redhead couldn’t move. He just stared at the huge four-poster bed at the back of the room, elegant dark blue and black silk sheets covering it and gauzy gold material hanging from the canopy.
“For crying out loud!” The indigo haired tyrant seized Daisuke’s shirt and almost ripped it in two, pulling it over the digidestined’s head. He ‘eeped’ in surprise and blushed even more, noticing the other boy’s appreciative gaze. The Kaizer then went for his shorts next. Daisuke quickly slapped his hands away before unfastening the button himself.
“I-I can do it by myself,” he stammered.
“Are you sure?” the Kaizer asked, greatly amused. The redhead nodded, disappointing the indigo haired boy. Still he couldn’t believe his luck. Just when he had decided to recapture the redhead and force him to accept his love, Daisuke had practically flung himself at him and willingly followed him home.
Deciding he too should get out of his own wet things, the Kaizer removed his gloves, flinging them to the floor with a metallic thud then reached behind and started pulling down the hidden zipper.
“D-Do you need help with that?” Daisuke asked, fascinated by the boy’s delicate fingers.
“Why do you ask?” the Kaizer asked with a smirk, “You want to see what’s under here, perhaps?” Daisuke continued to blush as the Kaizer started to torture him by slowly pulling one arm out then the other, finally revealing a thin, pale, but muscular torso. “Like what you see?” The redhead gulped before nodding. The Kaizer chuckled. “Good ‘cause so do I.”
Grabbing a blanket from the bed, the indigo haired boy threw it at Daisuke. “I may have heating in here, but it’s still chilly,” he said in explanation. The redhead took wrapped it around him, nodding his thanks, too nervous to speak.
The Kaizer then removed his boots and the rest of his bodysuit before settling himself onto the bed. He patted the mattress beside him. Daisuke eyed the boy timidly not sure what exactly his enemy had in mind. Sighing, the Kaizer glared at him, but not enough to scare the boy away. “I just want to talk, Dai-chan. I promise I won’t do anything you’re not willing to.”
Still not trusting his voice, Daisuke nodded and shyly climbed into the bed next to the other boy. Smiling, the indigo haired tyrant gently pulled the redheaded digidestined closer so he could wrap the blanket around them while he held him in his arms again. He found that he liked that very much, so much that he never wanted to let the boy go again.
“Ready to talk yet?” he asked, gently rubbing Daisuke’s cheek and placing a comforting kiss on the other one.
The redhead allowed himself to snuggle closer to the Kaizer, in spite of the confusion he felt. ‘Why should he care? I’m nothing compared to him,’ he thought. After a few more minutes of silence, Daisuke decided that it couldn’t hurt to tell him what had happened to cause him to almost run him over earlier. “…and the other day, my mom through out my burger when I went to the bathroom. I wasn’t even finished with it. It was like she forgot I was even there.” He rubbed at his eyes, trying desperately to stop the tears from falling again and sniffled.
“They don’t deserve to be around you,” the indigo haired boy said venomously, rubbing Daisuke’s shoulders and back.
“I know,” the other boy replied, “They can’t throw me away so they have to put up with me.”
The Kaizer frowned. “That’s not what I meant, Dai-chan.”
“Huh?”
“They’re the ones who should be thrown out with the trash. You’re better than them.”
“Y-You’re kidding right?” Daisuke turned around to face him, causing the blanket to slip off.
The Kaizer had never looked so serious. “I don’t kid, Daisuke. Not when it concerns my worthy adversary.”
“You really think I’m better than the others?”
“Yes I do, Daisuke.” He rewrapped the blanket around them and sighed when the redhead wrapped his arms around him. “You’re wasting your time with those imbeciles. You can do better.” What he really wanted to say was ‘I want you to stay,’ but his mouth refused to work the way he wanted.
“I guess, but they’re the only friends I’ve got. And I can’t get another family.”
The Kaizer nodded sympathetically. ‘Just say it already!’ the little voice in his head shouted. ‘You’re the Kaizer for gods’ sakes!’ “You could stay here if you’d like,” he murmured, blushing.
“Eh? I didn’t hear you,” Daisuke said looking up and seeing the faint pinkish tinge on the Kaizer’s face. ‘Why’s he blushing? He couldn’t possibly like me, could he?’
“I just thought you could stay here since none of them would let you.” He blushed even more, though his eyes flashed in anger when he thought of the other digidestined refusing to take the redhead in.
“You want me to stay?” Daisuke asked, not sure if the digital tyrant had meant it or was planning on keeping him as a prisoner.
“It’s up to you, Dai-chan. I won’t do anything Kaizerish while you’re here. Let’s say I’m calling a truce.”
“A truce, huh?”
“Hai. But only if you stay. Once you leave here, it’s back to me being the Kaizer again.”
“No funny stuff?” Daisuke could hardly believe his ears. Here was his nemesis and secret crush holding him in his arms and offering to let him stay. ‘Maybe he really does care,’ he thought as he brought his head back to the crook of the Kaizer’s shoulder.
“You have my word,” came the reply. “Please stay?”
Daisuke sat there for countless minutes, running the Kaizer’s offer through his head. He was terribly confused and the other boy’s gentle stroking wasn’t helping any. “’K. I’ll stay,” he said sleepily, not bothering to fight the sudden drowsiness.
The Kaizer smirked. “I knew you would,” he said placing a light kiss on the boy’s forehead. “Get some rest, Dai-chan. I’ll get us some dinner later.”
The digidestined in his arms mumbled something incoherently before falling to sleep completely. “Maybe, I’ll make you see you’re better off here with me,” the indigo haired boy said carefully adjusting his sleeping guest so they could lie comfortably. He smiled when Daisuke refused to let go and drew him closer, the redhead’s head lying over his heart.

~TBC~

Well, whatcha think minna?

Seto: Thank the gods she didn’t choose us this time.

Sakura: I heard that! You’ll get your turn Set-chan. Well at least Yugi and Yami will. ^_^

Yami: I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.

Y. Bakura: What’s the matter Pharaoh? Scared of a mere girl?

Yami: I am never scared, of anything or anyone – especially you.

Sakura: Good to hear that, Yami-chan ‘cause I just might put you with Bakura instead of Yugi this time.

Y. Bakura & Yami: You wouldn’t dare!!!!

Yugi: They’d kill each other. ;_;

Sakura: They’d better not! They were pretty hard to catch and I’m not going to get another pair.

Seto: Anyway, review this thing before she starts complaining about not getting reviews.