Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Promising Memories ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 23
Promising Memories
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
“Taichi?” Tani frowned as she glanced around their surroundings but found no trace of the brunette young man. “Where did he go?”
 
“You don't think he….” Sora began, exchanging worried glances with her boyfriend.
 
Yamato sighed and ran a hand over his eyes. “This IS Taichi we're talking about.”
 
“What do you mean?” Tani looked at the pair in confusion. “It has something to do with me doesn't it.”
 
Iori shook his head. “In one form, yes. You see, he started it with the leader being the one who wears goggles and well, I supposed since he had been so adamant about not deserving to be the leader that the Digital World must have chosen you to take over.”
 
“Oh, no. That's not what I want at all. I don't want to be the leader. I don't know the first thing about leadership!”
 
“But you do have a pair of goggles,” Rosa pointed out.
 
Tani looked up then quickly pulled them off. “No. I-I can't wear these. Someone else take them… please. Just take them.” She held them out to the other Chosen but no one made a move to accept them. She whimpered then replaced them over her bandana with a sigh. “Fine. But I didn't ask for this.”
 
“You are the only one among us in color.” The Mexican girl folded her arms over her chest and made a face. “I just better not get pink.”
 
“You probably won't. Hikari's Crest of Light was pink,” Sora smiled kindly thinking back to Taichi's younger sister during their first adventures in the Digital World.
 
“But my crest was white and now it's indigo,” Tani reminded them as she pulled out her Power Stone and made a face at it. “I think this is all going to give me a very bad headache.”
 
The red head scowled in thought. “You do have a point which means mine might not be red anymore.”
 
Yamato scowled at the group as he folded his arms over his chest. “This just keeps getting more confusing the further along we get. If your crest changed colors then what exactly does that mean?”
 
“We may not get any answers until we find Hikari's memories or figure out what exactly is going on here,” Iori commented. “But I think our best choice would be to find Taichi. Splitting up will only make matters worse.”
 
Tani starred at the Kendo expert for a moment before she finally nodded. “Alright. Then let's go.” She paused a moment before starting off towards a grouping of trees as the others trailed behind her.
 
*~*~*~*
 
What am I doing? Taichi frowned as a strong breeze blew his thick bangs out of his eyes. He clenched his jaw for a moment then shook his head. He looked up to the sky and sighed. “So I guess I got my wish, huh? Tani is the new leader. I guess that just makes me well, nothing.” He couldn't determine how he actually felt about being replaced. Taichi knew he had given up his role as the leader to Daisuke many years ago, but there was a small part of him that still took pride in it because if he wasn't the leader, then who was he?
 
“It's not her fault. I can't blame her. She'd probably make a better leader anyway.” He sat down in the thick grass and snorted. “Besides, I've failed everyone. I couldn't find my sister and Daisuke, I suck at keeping the group safe, and I have done absolutely nothing to help our situation. I am a horrible leader!”
 
Taichi's mind drifted towards Tani and he flinched. He knew his leaving had probably hurt her the most but what else was he supposed to do? Grin, shake her hand, and wish her good luck? He was a fool and he knew it. He closed his eyes and visualized the first time he had met her. Even with the ice cream smeared on her face, she still could put him in a head spin. So what was he afraid of?
 
“Damn it.”
 
Why are you so hard on yourself, Tai? You beat yourself up too much.”
 
“I know I just…. I don't know what to do. I-I can't get you out of my head.”
 
“Under all that hair? Even when you thinned it out a bit it's a still bush!”
 
“Hey! I don't make fun of your hair or your UFO Catcher collection.”
 
“Half of which you won for me.”
 
Taichi nodded as he rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah.”
“So what are you afraid of, Tai? You found me again.”
 
“I know but…”
 
“Hikari will be okay. We'll find her and Daisuke. Just let me help you. I know you're scared and it's okay, but please don't walk away.”
 
“Tani, you don't understand.”
 
“Understand what?”
 
Taichi opened his eyes and found himself looking into Tani's deep brown gaze. He opened his mouth to respond but nothing would come out.
 
“Are you okay, Taichi?” She looked at him in concern as the other Chosen came to a stop next to her.
 
“F-fine. I-I'm fine,” he replied quickly.
 
Yamato frowned at him but Sora step forward and put her hands on her hips in annoyance. “Please show a little more responsibility and not disappear like that again. We don't need you getting yourself killed over a stupid thing like goggles. If you want to be the leader then just say it. None of us are going to stop you.”
 
“No, I'm…. Tani would be a better leader.” Taichi smiled at the young woman in question and nodded. “Congratulations.”
 
Tani furrowed her brow at him. “Taichi….”
 
“No, I'm good. So, why don't we go look for my sister now; I mean if that's okay, with you, Tani.”
 
She blinked at him and shoved a strand of hair from her eyes. “I…” Like lightening she tore the goggles from her head and threw them to the ground. “I'm not doing it. Not if you're going to act like such an asshole, Yagami Taichi! So forget it!” Tani spun on her heel and marched away leaving the others to stare at the discarded goggles.
 
Sora covered her face with her hands as if she were on the verge of either tears or a rage filled outburst. “IDIOTS! BOTH OF YOU!” She glared at both Taichi and Tani then snatched up the goggles. “I don't know what the hell is or was going on between you two but grow up because quite frankly neither of your are acting responsible enough to bear the title of leader.”
 
“Like you and Yamato have really been acting much like couple.” The Japanese brunette female sent an icy look towards the red head. “There is so much distance you could put a country the size of Russia between you two. So before you go on judging others, look at yourself.”
 
Rosa glanced edgily at Iori and whispered. “This is getting really ugly.”
 
He slowly nodded in agreement but remained silent.
 
Sora however froze then turned to her boyfriend and shoved him. “Grow some feelings, you jerk!” Without another word she threw the goggles in Taichi's face and ran off.
 
Yamato shifted his gaze towards Tani and blinked as the color on her clothes began to flicker and she sunk to the ground and cried.
 
Taichi too noticed and raced towards the sobbing girl. “Tani! Wait, I-I'm sorry.” He knelt down beside her and held out the goggles. “You- Your color keeps fading in and out.”
 
She looked at him and sniffled as she rubbed at her eyes. “What do you mean?”
 
“I think at least for you, that since your strength is wavering so is your Power Stone's. You did say it was Harmony, right?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Taichi ran a hand through his hair and snorted. “Well I think I kinda killed that in our happy little group, but that doesn't mean that it can't be fixed.”
 
She stared at him for a moment and threw her arms around him. “Thank you, Tai.”
 
He hugged her back. “No prob. Let's go find Sora before it's too late and she gets herself into some serious trouble.”
 
“Right.” They stood up and turned to gather up their group and found that it wasn't just missing one person, but two.
 
“Shit. Yamato, not you too,” Taichi grumbled then turned towards Iori and Rosa who were quietly sitting in the grass as if unsure of what to do next. “I'm sure you two know the drill by now.”
 
“Try to find them before anyone gets killed? Yep, I know that one by heart.” The Mexican girl nodded as she climbed to her feet. “Maybe tracking devices would be more beneficial next time around.”
 
“They were installed in the digivices, but they don't seem to work,” Iori said calmly.
 
Tani bit her lip and shook her head. “Let's just go. They couldn't have gone too far.” Once again, the Chosen started out on another search for their missing team each hoping that everyone would be alright in the end.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Koushiro collapsed heavily against an icy tree and drew him knees to his chest. He couldn't remember feeling so cold before but at that moment he swore he was on the verge of frostbite. I thought I was supposed to be the smartest one here. So why do I feel so stupid? He knew his intelligence was a like a double-edged sword. In one way it worked for him, by allowing him a large amount of knowledge to aid himself and others with. In another form however, it was an enemy. Some people didn't appreciate the fact that he always had the highest marks, which often lead to bullies trying to “convince” him to dumb down. Even with Taichi and Yamato watching his back, he still could not avoid the harassment. His parents even suggested putting him into another school, but Koushiro had refused. Despite the black eyes, bruises, and lost money he still wanted to prove that he could be normal. Even if he was adopted, and had a high IQ, he could be normal. All he wanted was to be normal. He even tried joining the soccer club and did well for awhile until a bad fall caused him to pull a few ligaments in his knee putting him out of commission for months.
 
After that he turned back to his computer. He didn't rely on it as badly before Taichi, Yamato, and Sora had gone away to college but after…. Koushiro didn't really feel like he fit in with the younger Chosen and therefore retreated to his laptop and the world of the Internet. As fate would have it, one dull evening in a forum for a video game that he couldn't recall, he had met Akina. There had been some argument about the story line resulting he and Akina against five other players. After the heated debate, the duo had won their opponents' understanding.
 
He couldn't remember when they started instant messaging, but despite whatever they talked about or why, Koushiro found he could forget whatever was going on in the real world. It was an escape he very much enjoyed. And even though they had never revealed much about themselves, they did form a rather strong friendship that seemed on the verge of possibly becoming more until the fortunate or perhaps unfortunate day they finally met in person.
 
It was an odd event because they were talking about Prom and Akina mentioned that she had no one to go with so he jokingly suggested taking her. Then everything fell into place and Koushiro found himself driving to Kyoto to pick up a girl he had never seen in person to take to her Prom. It was such an insane idea, and he still questioned why they had agreed on it but nevertheless, he showed up at her house and found himself in shock at her striking appearance. Dressed in a simple green spaghetti strap gown with her dark hair swept up, he pondered why he was standing there and not some popular school jock with a million dollar smile and shining new car that did not smell like mothballs as his old clunky one did.
 
Of course that car's life was rather short lived. In fact it was the reason why they never made it to the dance and instead found themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere for hours with a dying cell phone. It was very embarrassing on Koushiro's part, but nonetheless, they managed to make the most of it with conversation and before the tow truck had arrived, they shared their first kiss.
 
Heat flooded the red head's cheeks and rose to his ears as he reflected on Akina and that kiss. She was different from the other girls. She didn't have an obsession with clothes and make up, yet when she wanted to she could be just as girly as the best of them. If anything she was more of a paradox; a bit of this and that. It was right then he realized that he hated being alone yet always backed himself into a corner and avoided anyone that may want to associate with him. If he was so lonely, then why did he constantly hide?
 
Koushiro blinked and slapped a hand over his eyes. “Some Bearer of Knowledge I am. I can't even figure out what I'm feeling. I can't just hide behind my brain anymore and shut everyone out. Maybe if I didn't, Akina wouldn't have disappeared in the first place and we wouldn't be here right now. I can honestly call myself an idiot for avoiding everyone.” He drew a breath and suddenly felt warmer. “Damn, I'm going to kill myself if I keep this up. All I do is focus on work and ignore everything else. I AM a workaholic, but not by choice but for an escape…what the hell is wrong with me? Normal people escape from work not to it.” He closed his eyes for a moment as he reflected on his childhood with the other Chosen and their adventures in the Digital World. “When did everything change? When did it all fall apart?”
 
In the back of his mind he could see his twenty-three year old self, miserable and slaving away at his computer with a strong cup of coffee at his side and a large stack of paper next to the cup. He hadn't seen the others since the last reunion four years ago. His soul focus was work and nothing more. Koushiro pursed his lips as his eyes darkened with realization. “I really was going to work myself to death. Shit. Shit! No, it needs to change. It's got to change. I'm going to change. I have to!”
 
“Well, it looks like you did, but since when did you start wearing yellow?”
 
Koushiro's eyes snapped open. He spun his head and looked at Michael with a bewildered expression on his face. “What?”
 
“You-you're wearing color.” Mimi gaped with the same stunned expression on her face. “Just how the hell did you do that?”
 
“It's true, Shiro,” Akina whispered as she approached the others with Takeru and Catherine a few feet behind her.
 
The French girl cried out in surprise at the sight of the red head and unconsciously grabbed Takeru's wrist. “Oh my! He is wearing color!”
 
Koushiro glanced down in curiosity and nearly swore again. Rather than gray his button down short-sleeved shirt was now in a yellow-orange shade with a solid yellow long sleeved shirt under it. His gloves as well as his pants were a deep red-orange that almost matched his hair while his sneakers were mainly yellow and the same red-orange shade. Oddly, Koushiro's red hair now looked brighter with a slight copper tone to it. “What…How…. Huh?”
 
“Our thoughts exactly,” Michael snickered.
 
“If he's wearing color, then why aren't the rest of us?” Mimi glanced at the other Chosen who shrugged in response.
 
“Maybe it has to do with his Power Stone?” Takeru suggested.
 
“That's it!” Koushiro fished the stone from his pocket and nearly dropped it. “Um, this is odd. It's yellow. My crest was purple, remember?”
 
“Could something have changed it?” Akina bit her lip as she shook her head. “It doesn't matter right now. At least you're safe.”
 
“So, now what?” The American inquired, shoving his hands in his pockets. He frowned in thought then snapped his fingers. “Food!”
 
Mimi raised an eyebrow then laughed. “Yeah, why not. For once we're not running from anything that can kill us. Might as well make the most of it.”
 
The others agreed and found a place to rest at deciding to take advantage of the peace they had for that moment. How long it would last? They didn't care to consider it until they were face with danger once again.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
The frozen assault continued from above as the Chosen fled for shelter, but unfortunately they couldn't find any. Wallace glared up at the storm cloud, fighting the urge to flick it off. “This is insane. It's like an ice machine exploded in the sky or something.”
 
“I HATE IT HERE!” Ami shrieked as a chunk of ice the size of a golf ball crashed into her shoulder.
 
“We know,” Miyako said dryly as Ken shielded her from a larger piece of ice directed for her head.
 
“Keep low,” he growled in warning as she stared at him.
 
“Right.”
 
Jyou winced as a few chunks of hail hit him in the back. “I'm going to need a long vacation after this.”
 
“If not a trip to the emergency room,” Miyako cracked.
 
“That's not funny!” Ami hissed as she spun around to face the lavender haired girl.
 
Wallace however jumped between the two, gritting his teeth as the assault of hail worsened. “No more cat fights until we find a cave or something!”
 
The two girls silently nodded in agreement as they once again began their race from the storm.
 
“Why do I put up with this shit?” The American grumbled to himself as another large chunk of ice slammed into the back of his head. He swore loudly and increased his pace. Why am I always tormented no matter what? Is this my Fate? I mean I know I'm the Chosen of Fate…or was but hell, this is insane. Wallace clenched his jaw as he recalled his parents' divorce when he was nine resulting in his move to New York. The only real good thing that he could actually remember was his digimon, Gumimon. Even when Chocomon had disappeared, Gumimon had always been there for him. School was constantly hard because he and his mom didn't have much in the way of money and could pretty much have been considered lower class. This eventually lead to fights at school since Wallace was usually considered different which going through middle school, was not necessarily a good thing. His eyes flashed a moment as a memory he wished to retain came rushing at him like a charging bull.
 
Rather than ice hitting his head, it was an empty soda pop can. Sticky drops of cola dripped from his hair as he spun around and brushed his hand against the back of his dirty blonde locks. Wallace narrowed his eyes at the small group of snickering boys but remained silent.
 
“Hey, Wally! You gonna cry now and run home to Mommy?”
 
Wallace turned away, trying to ignore the pain, both physically and emotionally. He knew he'd never be popular. He'd always be a low class nothing. Sure his mom tried to do her best, but the income just wasn't there. She always told him that was fate.
 
No, fate should be what we make of it, not what is handed to us because everything eventually changes. If my fate is to be a loser, I'll be damned if I stay one. I'm not going to be ridiculed anymore.
 
He snatched a large chunk of ice from the ground; completely oblivious to the other Chosen trying their best to dodge the assaulting hail and hurled it into the air. “I'm not going to be bullied! You hear me? I'm changing my destiny starting now and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it!”
 
“Oh no….he's lost it,” Jyou muttered as he gaped at the infuriated blonde teenaged boy.
 
Suddenly a vibrant glow erupted around Wallace as the others watched in bewilderment and slowly died away revealing a still irate American dressed oddly in colors rather than the bland gray. His hooded zip-up jacket was now jet black. Under it was a deep burgundy shirt that matched the rolled up bandana wrapped across his forehead allowing thick locks of golden blonde hair to fall around his face from over the bandana. Medium shade blue jeans and black sneakers completed the teen's look as he continued shouting to the sky.
 
“Um, Wallace?”
 
“YOU HEAR ME?!” The American paused and looked at the other Chosen then shrank back sheepishly. Um, I guess I went a bit overboard. Uh, sorry.”
 
“Not that, look at yourself,” Miyako snapped as she looked between him and her boyfriend. “So far, it looks like the two of you have figured out somehow to activate your Power Stones.”
 
Wallace glanced down at his clothes and blinked. “Whoa. Um, maybe I should get pissed off more often.” He pulled his Power Stone from his pocket and made a face. “Wait. I thought my crest was silver. Guess I really AM losing it.”
 
Ken looked at Wallace's burgundy stone as he held it out to the others then withdrew his own. “You're not losing it. Something strange is going on.”
 
“Like all of this isn't strange enough,” Jyou scoffed.
 
Miyako rolled her eyes. “This coming from a guy with a digital monster.”
 
“Duh. It stopped hailing too,” Ami snorted bitterly as she folded her arms over her chest. “I say the sooner we get out of the place the better.”
 
Ken looked up at the now serene sky and frowned. “That is a good point though I think I'd rather know what's going on here first.”
 
The others glanced up as well and with a silent agreement headed off in a search for answers.
 
*~*~*~*
Hikari squinted as she stepped out into the sun. The once lively park was quiet and peaceful. She moved her gaze through the tall trees, sand filled playgrounds, and creaky benches, but there was no one in sight. Hikari sighed and refocused on the ground.
 
Just then soft voices shattered the silence prompting the teenaged girl to snap her head up. She frowned at the lack of sunlight as a small group of people moved closer from the distance, seemingly oblivious to her presence.
 
“It's not worth fretting over, Daisuke. She's probably just busy,” a soft yet deep voice said gently.
 
“I'm not fretting, Ken. I just…” The other boy hesitated a moment then sighed. “I don't know.”
 
“You're not making sense,” a female voice said, her toned slightly agitated.
 
“He is… Just in his own way,” a different male voice snickered.
 
“Takeru…” the second boy hissed with an annoyed tone.
 
Hikari gasped at the oddly familiar voices and raced happily towards the group of friends. “Hey!” She giggled completely unaware of their shock-filled faces as she threw her arms around the spiky haired brunette. “I missed you guys.”
 
The boy she was embracing however froze at her affectionate gesture. “Um…. sorry… b-but I think you have me confused for someone else.” He looked nervously to his friends.
 
The lavender haired girl nodded and put her hands on her hips. “Yeah, so why don't you let Daisuke go like a good crazed-fan girl and go home.”
 
Hikari's eyes flew open and she quickly backed away as she studied the groups' faces. “But….what are you talking about? I'm Hikari. You've been looking for me and it's been so long….”
 
The blonde boy snorted. “That's impossible. Hikari is over there studying for some big test.” He pointed to a girl sitting at the picnic tables, her long chestnut brown hair fell in her eyes as she bent down over her textbook in frustration.
 
“But…” Hikari studied the girl carefully, and frowned as the she began twirling her pencil between her fingers, a habit that Hikari was very well accustomed to when she was agonizing over something. “I'm Yagami Hikari.”
 
“Stop lying and go home,” Daisuke said coldly.
 
Tears welled up in her brown eyes as she stepped backwards. Ken, Miyako, and Takeru all shared equally hurtful looks as they glowered down at her. Why don't they know who I am? I am the same Yagami Hikari, aren't I?
 
Dark raindrops slowly fell from the sky as Hikari sank to her knees. She suddenly felt frigid as the rain became thicker, developing a puddle around her. She closed her eyes and gasped out loud as the murky water engulfed her.
 
Hikari's eyes fluttered open and she scowled in puzzlement at the hazy atmosphere she was surrounded by. “Where am I?” Limply she climbed to her shaky feet and bit her lip. There was something about the place that made her very uneasy yet it seemed familiar. Just the odd damp, slightly moldy scent was enough to turn her stomach.
 
She paused as a sensation of being watched flooded throughout her. Slowly she glanced back and found a shadow lurking in the distance. Nervously she stepped back, wishing she could be any place but there.
 
“Welcome back,” and eerie voice greeted as the shadow slightly shifted.
 
Hikari drew back even further as thick tar-like water that had appeared from nowhere oozed closer. “I don't belong here.”
 
“That's not for you to determine. No matter how hard you try, your heart always leads you back.”
 
“My… heart?” She gaped that the mere thought and furiously shook her head. “No, that's impossible. My heart would never force me to come to such a place….It wouldn't. Couldn't.” Her brown eyes flickered as she glanced down, unaware of the water rising higher, swallowing her ankles and moving lazily to her knees. “Could it?”
 
Sudden flashes of her own tear streaked, pain-filled face flooded her mind. For an instance, she could feel the agony that had coursed through that vision of herself and fell to her knees as she gripped at her head. The mind numbing torture continued until she had completely gone under; lost to the dark waters.
 
*~*~*~*
 
What happened? Daisuke gritted his teeth in frustration as the scene rushed through his head over and over again. He could still taste Hikari's kiss and wondered why he hadn't reacted quicker, especially after she had fled. The icy raindrop fell in his eyes, blinding him momentarily. With a growl he rubbed them away and continued his search for the missing girl.
 
What did she mean by me being in love with someone else? How could she even suspect something as ridiculous… Daisuke froze as realization hit him like a soccer ball to the gut. “Am I in love with a ghost?” He hadn't seen her in so long, but within that time span, changes had indeed occurred. If it was the past he was in love with, could he even settle for the present? This concept greatly confused him. In some aspect, Hikari was no longer Hikari, but some other form of a girl that still did not know who he and the other Chosen were.
 
Another concern was that the further along he went, the more he tried to grasp the past. However, those memories seemed to have already slipped away leaving him with fragments of images instead.
 
Despite what happened however, Daisuke knew he could not give up on the girl even though she may not be the Hikari that he cared for so many years ago. Or was it so long ago? Ugh, this place is going to drive me mad if I'm not careful. Before I know it I'm going to be placed in a padded room and dining on JELLO for the rest of my life.
 
Daisuke came to a pause as the heavy rain lightened slightly allowing him to see a rather crumpled looking form a few feet away lying in a ditch. His breath caught at the sight of very familiar brown hair distorting the face from his view. “HIKARI!”
 
Like lightening he raced towards the girl, fearing that upon touching her, that her pulse would be as still as a rock. Regardless he skidded to his knees and pushed her tangled hair from her face as he checked for a pulse. “Hikari! Wake up! Come on. You have to be alive! Please wake up! WAKE UP, HIKARI!”
 
A barely audible moan sounded from chapped lips as her face scrunched slightly. A sharp breath that sounded more like a sob came next as Daisuke touched her shoulder gently. Hikari said nothing as she tensed her body as if afraid.
 
“Looks like Taichi won't have to kill me after all,” he chuckled for a minute then became serious. “What the hell were you thinking? You could have gotten killed! You….” He paused a moment, taking in the unsightly cuts and bruises that marred her flesh, the awkward position she was lying in which he swore she'd be lucky if she hadn't broken anything and her torn clothing. “Damn it, Hikari. Don't EVER do that to me again!” He clenched his jaw, fighting to keep his voice strong at her appearance. She's alive and that's all that matters. That's all that matters.
 
“Sorry,” Hikari whispered softly, barely audible through the rainstorm that was slowly dissipating. “About everything.”
 
“Don't worry about it. It's okay.” Daisuke drew a breath and rose to his feet then carefully scoped the fallen girl into his arms. He ignored his own cuts and bruises from tracking her down and began slowly walking, hoping he could relocate the cave.
 
“I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry.”
 
“I said don't worry about it.”
 
“But-”
 
“Please, Hikari. I just…. let's get out of here so we can get those cuts taken care of. I'll be extremely shocked if you hadn't broken something given the position you were in.”
 
Hikari bit her lip and nodded as she pressed herself against Daisuke. “I'm weak. You have to constantly save me and I…”
 
“Don't worry about it.”
 
“I'm not even worth protecting. I'm not worth….anything.”
 
Daisuke tightened his grip, wishing he could shake some sense into the girl but refrained from doing so. “Hikari, how many times do I have to tell you…”
 
“I know but…. I don't know. I just don't know. I'm so confused…”
 
“Hikari, promise me one thing.”
 
She lifted her head briefly to look at Daisuke, but his face was turned away as he started up the rocky slope. “What?”
 
He hesitated a moment. “Promise me, that you'll never give up no matter what happens. Even if something were to happen to me, you will continue to fight. Promise me.”
 
“Daisuke…”
 
“Promise me, Hikari.”
 
“I promise, Daisuke. I won't give up. I promise.”
 
“Good.” Satisfied he fell silent, too worn out to really consider any witty banter as they continued back towards the cave. Though he couldn't determine why he asked Hikari to make that promise he felt better for it, and that was enough to push him onward.
 
*~*~*~*
Author's Notes: Well this chapter is finally done after a long and exhausting move. I have to say, I like how this one came together. There was quite a bit of surprises, especially regarding pasts, but it definitely made things more interesting.
 
I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reviewing.