Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Unknown Truths ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 24
Unknown Truths
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
 
Tani frowned at the darkening sky as she and the others continued their search for Yamato and Sora. Despite what any of the others may say, she still felt that she was at fault.
 
“I think once we find them we need to make a promise or something not to separate anymore because this isn't going to do any good running around like well, stray animals.” Rosa folded her arms over her chest then looked up towards Iori. He glanced back and silently nodded. She sighed. “Communicating more would be helpful too.”
 
“I do communicate. I just don't babble useless information,” he replied simply.
 
Tani ran a hand over her face as the Mexican girl glared at the taller boy. She blinked a moment then glanced between Taichi and Iori then looked at Rosa. “Wait, Tai. I thought you said you were the tallest, but it looks like you're beat by at least an inch.”
 
The former Chosen leader rolled his eyes as if annoyed at the concept. “I was until Iori shot up like six feet or something. He went from the runt of the group to a giant.”
 
The teenager nodded his head. “My mom wasn't exactly pleased at the idea either considering she went through several months of buy me new clothes since everything was too small.”
 
“He had high waters for weeks sometimes because he wouldn't stop growing,” Taichi snickered at the memory. “Daisuke joked that Iori would have to make his own clothing because the stores won't carry anything for twenty foot tall giants.”
 
“He's not twenty feet tall,” Rosa scoffed folding her arms. “I used to be short and now I'm the tallest in my class.”
 
“Then you two must have drunk the same water or something because I remember how you were just as short as he was.” He shook his head with a laugh. “Well, Hikari definitely can't say the same thing…. She's still the shortest of all of us.” Taichi paused a moment and frowned at recalling his little sister. “She better be okay or someone is going to pay dearly.”
 
Tani grabbed his arm, her expression sincere as she tried to catch his gaze. “We'll find her.”
“Thanks.” A chuckle suddenly erupted from his throat as he broke away. “Hey, Iori? Remember Yamato's reaction the day that his “little brother” had actually out grew him? That was so priceless.”
 
“Rub it in why don't you,” a familiar voice said from behind a screen of trees.
 
The group spun around and found deep blue eyes studying them with mild interest.
 
“Yamato.” Taichi took a step back and watched as the blonde pushed off from the tree he was leaning on and slowly approached him.
 
“I couldn't find Sora so I decided it'd be best to try looking for her together rather than me running around blindly.” He shrugged and raised an eyebrow at them. “Why were you three discussing heights anyway? Were you that bored? Or were you just trying to avoid anything deeper than mindless chatter?”
 
The trio fell silent and directed their attention anywhere but the inquiring blonde. After a moment Rosa whispered as she stared at the ground. “More than likely the latter.”
 
“Just as I thought. We're all a bunch of idiots. We've been friends for how long yet now we can't think of anything to say. What the hell happened to us?”
 
“Couldn't tell you even if I knew,” Taichi sighed.
 
Yamato nodded then began walking. “Then we need to figure out how to fix it before something happens that we can't reverse.”
 
“Sounds like a plan.” Tani closed her eyes as she bowed her head towards the musician. “I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I had no right-”
 
“-But you were right,” he cut in. “There is too much distance between Sora and I and…. I don't even know why I'm saying this, but…. I don't even know if it's fixable at this point.”
 
“Only if you want it bad enough.”
 
Yamato blinked then stared at the only Chosen amongst them dressed in color. He shifted his gaze to Taichi and finally smiled as if understanding some hidden meaning in her words. “Well, we have a fired up red head to search for. I guess the deep stuff can be put on hold until then. For now... I'm not the shortest guy, Jyou is.”
 
Taichi smirked as his best friend started off. “Yeah but even Koushiro has you beat height wise. In fact of the guys…only Jyou has you beat in the runt category.”
 
“He wasn't exactly happy about that being the oldest and all,” Iori pointed out.
“He showed how short his fuse was rather quickly.”
 
The others groaned at Taichi's bad joke.
 
Yamato made gagging sounds as he raised his eyebrows at his friend. “Did you raid Daisuke's old joke stash or something? That was horrible!”
 
“Nah, got it from your not-so-little brother,” he shrugged laughing at the renewed glare of his best friend. “Of course I will always be known as Hikari's Big brother.”
 
“Big hair, which fits the ego.”
 
“Hey! My hair isn't nearly as big anymore!” Taichi pouted as he folded his arms over his chest.
 
“If you say so, Bush Head.”
 
“Dumb Blonde.”
 
“Pocky Junkie.”
 
“Runt.”
 
Tani studied the two friends in disbelief as the exchange continued and finally giggled. Perhaps normalcy was the best remedy. She only had to hope everyone else's relationships would be just as easy a mend as those two were. With that thought in mind, she refocused on finding Sora.
 
*~*~*~*
 
A soft smile spread across Catherine's lips as she glanced at Takeru who seemed too busily engaged in stuffing his face rather than her. She pushed a strand of hair from her face and took a meek sip of her soup.
 
A lady does not slurp her soup, dear.” She cringed as the crisp tone of her mother echoed in her head. Suddenly, she no longer felt hungry. Instead, Catherine placed her cup on the ground and stood up.
 
“What's wrong, Catherine?” Mimi looked up curiously from her own meal.
 
“I'm not hungry, but thank you for your generosity. It was very good.”
 
Michael choked and started coughing loudly. His girlfriend swatted him on the back before he could turn blue. “What the hell are you using manners for? We're all friends here...At least I think we are.”
“Just because she doesn't swear and belch at will around us doesn't mean she doesn't think any less of us,” Mimi said in the French girl's defense.
 
“Yeah, but she's being formal. That's just wrong in my book.”
 
“Some people were raised to have good manners and I think Catherine is one of them,” Akina pointed out. She smiled at the flabbergasted girl with a nod. “It's okay. He's a guy anyway.”
 
“And what is that supposed to mean?” Koushiro stared at the raven haired young woman who shrugged.
 
“Not to be stereotypical, but girls are usually pressed into having good manners.”
 
“I have good manners,” he snapped.
 
“ I know but…”
 
“Will you all shut up?” Takeru jumped to his feet and narrowed his blue eyes at the others. “This is a ridiculous thing to be arguing about so let's just stop and finish our food.”
 
Catherine stared at the annoyed blonde for a moment and bowed her head apologetically. “I didn't mean to upset anyone. I'm sorry, everyone.”
 
Mimi glanced between Catherine and Takeru then stood up. “That's it. We're going to have a serious girl/girl conversation right now,” she growled, snatching the blonde girl by the arm and hauled her off in the opposite direction.
 
Akina hesitated a moment as she watched her first friend in years being dragged away without even a sound of protest before she too rose to her feet and trailed off after the two young women as the others sat in silence.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“What the hell is wrong with you?” Mimi paced in front of Catherine who sat in the grass with a dejected look on her face.
 
“You wouldn't understand-”
 
“Try me!” The Japanese brunette shoved a strand of hair from her face and plopped down next to her. “Look, I can tell that you still like him so what happened between you two because it's just driving me insane watching the way you act around each other. One minute you're close and the next you act like you had ran over his cat with a guilty expression on your face. So what, may I ask happened?”
 
“You wouldn't-” Catherine began as her eyes welled with tears.
 
Mimi yelled in frustration and bolted back to her feet, clenching her hands into fists as she began muttering incoherently to herself.
 
“It's not going to help interrogating her,” a soft voice said from behind them.
 
“Akina, what would you know?”
 
The raven haired girl shrugged and tucked her hands in her pockets as she dropped her gaze to the ground. “Would you like being treated that way? It's obvious that something is wrong. Pushing her isn't going to help. I should know.”
 
Mimi considered the girl for a second and seemed to calm down. She loosened her hands, dropping them to her sides. “Alright but you know that this can't go on forever.”
 
“I also know that there are some major communication issues between all of you. Even you and Michael. As an outsider I can tell best. And yes, I will admit that there are problems between Koushiro and I and I will admit it, but it's like all of you are in denial over everything or something.” Akina paused a moment as she addressed Catherine. “You've been holding back something, haven't you.”
 
“Yes.” The French girl bit her lip as she closed her eyes. “And it'd kill Takeru if he knew and I don't want that. I don't want to hurt him anymore than I already have been.”
 
“What is it?” Mimi sat down next to her and gently touched her shoulder. “You can trust us…. I know that we all haven't been too good of friends, but…. Well, I can tell it's eating you up inside.”
 
How can I tell them? I just wish I could wake up and discover that it had all been one horrible dream… Catherine shook her head as she drew a breath. “It's my mother…. She-she's controlling and had always insisted on me being a lady.”
 
“Some parents can be strict,” Akina murmured in understanding. “But that's not the problem is it.”
 
“No. The summer after Takeru came to France to see me….” She smiled sadly from the memory. “Mother did not approve of him when she found out about it and told me that I had to break all communication with him because-because…. I'm betrothed to a diplomat's son.”
 
“WHAT?” Mimi gaped in shock at the confession nearly falling over in surprise. “How? I mean you're not a princess or anything…. Do they even do that anymore?”
 
Akina winced as Catherine softly cried in grief. “Have you tried asking about breaking it off?”
 
“You don't know my mother. What says goes and if I don't I'll be disowned.” Catherine sniffled as she wrapped her arms around herself. “You won't believe how many things I have given up because of her. She even hated Floramon! I-I couldn't tell Takeru…. It'd just hurt too much.”
 
“I know this might sound horrible, but have you thought of taking charge of your own life and doing what you want for a change?”
 
“You-you mean go against her?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I can't! She-she'll… I don't know what she'd do but… no. I just can't.”
 
Mimi exchanged glances with Akina and gave the blonde a gentle smile. “Sometimes parents don't always know what's best and you do love him, don't you?”
 
“Oui.”
 
“Then maybe it's time for Catherine to take change and leave her mother's little puppet in the closet. You can't let her run your life. And you said that she has made you give up many things…. Do you really want to give up a cute guy like Takeru?”
 
Akina giggled as she nodded in agreement. “And it's obvious that he still likes you. He's just confused because of what had happened but you can remedy that. Just explain to him why you did what you did and what you plan on doing. He seems like a pretty reasonable guy so it shouldn't be too hard.”
 
“If you say so…” Catherine whispered as the two girls pulled her to her feet. “But I don't think Mother will appreciate me not obeying her orders.”
 
“To hell with her!”
 
“Mimi!” Akina gave her an incredulous look.
 
“Sorry,” she replied sheepishly. “What I mean is, this is your life, so live it.”
 
Catherine closed her eyes. “You're right.” She smiled and suddenly felt lighter. She had been doing what others wanted for so long that it was time for her to follow her own dreams for a change even if it meant being disobedient. If she wanted to be an actress, or a nurse, or even a business owner, she should be able to live her life the way she wanted. “The wedding is off.”
 
Suddenly she was engulfed in a bright light that quickly faded. The others blinked at the change then grinned. “Looks like Koushiro is not the only colorful person anymore.”
 
“What?” Takeru's eyes widened as he and the other boys appeared from behind a group of trees. “Whoa, um, we saw a flash of light and came to see what was up and um, Catherine…. You look great.”
 
The bewildered girl looked down at herself and gasped. Her short sleeveless turtleneck dress that was once a bland gray was now light green with a silver belt wrapped around her slender waist. She also wore matching silver gloves and tights while her ankle length boots were the same green as her dress. “Oh my…”
 
Koushiro tilted his head as he took in the blonde's newest appearance and smiled. “Out of curiosity, what color is your Power Stone?”
 
She frowned a moment then retrieved it from her now silver bag and found to her surprise that it too was silver. “I still don't know what to make of this though.”
 
Akina glanced over her shoulder at the stone and pursed her lips then laughed. “Of course.”
 
“What?”
 
“Dreams. You finally accepted that you're going to live your life the way you want it and in that follow your dreams…. Your crest is probably dreams… I saw sketches of the crests in a temple on Data.”
 
“Data?” Koushiro scowled. “Where is that?”
 
“I don't really know…. That's where my sisters and I got our crests many years back. It was in Document Mountain. I think I was ten at the time.”
 
“Wait! You were ten when you got your crests….and you're twenty now…. You were in the Digital World the same time we were?” Mimi threw her hands in the air as she began to pace. “But how could that be? I mean you'd think Gennai would have told us that there were others and…. I'm beginning to hate him more and more… We could have used the help!”
 
Michael grabbed her shoulders nearly missing being decked by her flailing limbs. “Calm down or you'll put someone's lights out, like my own.”
 
Akina shook her head. “I don't think we were in the same place and more than likely not for the same reason. The Digital World is huge and in that…. It may have been equivalent to New York to Japan. That's a large amount of distance.”
 
Koushiro nodded in agreement but frowned as something cold touched his nose. “Snow?” He looked up and found several white flurries falling lazily towards them. “I think we better find shelter before some bad happens.”
 
“Damn, and me without my snowboard,” Michael snorted. “Oh well. Let's head out troops!” The other Chosen decided it'd be best to follow knowing questioning even a tiny snowflake could lead to disaster in no time.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“I want to go home,” Ami whined as she and the other Chosen came to a halt at a clearing in the trees. She kicked at the sand and gripped the sides of her skirt. “I just want to play my flute and stay in my room where it's nice and safe with no stupid natural disasters trying to kill me!”
 
Miyako rubbed her temples as the short red head continued yet another temper tantrum. She didn't believe it was possible for another human being to whine as much as the pint size girl. Not even Jyou or Mimi could go on and on with the intensity that Ami could. At that moment Miyako really wished she had a roll of duct tape handy so she could put an end to the torture.
 
“Geez, she's like a broken record,” Wallace muttered in disgust. His lips curved wickedly as he tossed his hands behind his head. “Hey, if there is an enemy that we have to face, let's just have Ami complain to them for a few hours and maybe she'll make them go away.”
 
“Wallace!” The lavender haired young woman giggled with that thought and tossed a lock of hair from her shoulder. “Might not be a bad idea though.”
 
“Wonder what crest she has,” Ken inquired trying to change the subject.
 
“Probably the Crest of Complaints.”
 
Jyou sent the trio an icy gaze. “Guys, try to be a bit nicer. She has been stuck here for over three years.”
 
Miyako smirked, her brown eyes shining with renewed interest. “Oh? Does Jyou by any chance have a crush on Little Miss Pint Size? She's even shorter than Hikari and Hikari is short.”
 
“No! I-I just think we should be nice to her, that's all,” Jyou mumbled as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.
 
Ken raised his eyebrows and glanced towards his girlfriend who snickered at the elder Chosen's reaction. “If you say so.”
 
“What? It's true!”
 
Wallace put his hands up stepping between the two.” No need to get defensive, dude. We're just observing and taking your word for it.”
 
Jyou covered his face with his hands. “I'm twenty-five years old. I don't need this. I shouldn't even be here for crying out loud!”
 
“You're technically twenty-two now and we're not doing anything, Jyou,” Ken said simply.
 
The American grinned. “Right! And she's what? Six?”
 
“Wallace! Stop it!” The blue haired man glowered at the teen who shrugged innocently.
 
“Sorry, I was just joking. I'm guessing that she is either early twenties or late teens, which means she can't be too young.”
 
Jyou looked at the group in disbelief. “You can't be trying to playmakers…. Please tell me that you aren't serious.”
 
Miyako laughed as she shook her head. “No, we aren't as long as she doesn't try to sink her claws into Ken, I don't care who she goes after but since you're single-”
 
“And she's not my type,” Wallace cut in earned a light backhand from the lone female in their group for his rudeness in interrupting her.
 
“We figured if it could work, why not.”
 
“No. Absolutely not,” Jyou shook his head as he backed away.
 
“Hey, it might cut down her whining.”
 
“NO! I'm not doing it!”
 
“We're not going to make you do anything you don't want to do, man.” Wallace explained innocently. “It's just something to consider. I mean, hey, she's pretty.”
 
“What are you talking about?” Ami questioned as she walked towards the group and wiped at her red swollen eyes.
 
“Oh nothing.” Miyako said quickly.
 
Wallace stepped between the two girls and grinned. “Hey, why don't we take a break for a while? I mean it's not everyday we have a hail storm and I'm kind of starving right now.”
 
Ken nodded in agreement. “Sounds like a good idea.”
 
“Well, only if we're not in more impending danger, but sure. Okay,” Jyou replied and soon they all found themselves setting up a very modest picnic, each hoping the moment of peace won't be stripped away too soon.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Ow!”
 
“Sorry,” Daisuke said as he dabbed at a rather long cut on Hikari's arm. He made a face at the blood and after a thorough cleaning, carefully wrapped it in gauze. “I think you really made a mess out of yourself this time.”
 
Hikari cringed at her wrapped ankle and knee, as well the faint scratch marks on her arms and legs. “I look like I got into a fight with Miko and lost.”
 
Or something like that,” he chuckled then became serious. “It also looks like you may have at least twisted that ankle if not sprained it,” he gestured toward the bandaged right ankle.
 
“At least I didn't break it.”
 
“Yeah, but you still can't put too much pressure on it.”
 
She sighed heavily. “Great. Now I'm really going to be dead weight as if I wasn't already.”
 
Daisuke glared at her. “You're not dead weight. The only way you'd be dead weight is if you were well, dead. But we're not going to consider that right now because otherwise I'd be talking to a ghost and well, there would be some major therapy bills to consider after that and to be honest I'm kinda broke right now.”
 
Hikari blinked at him then shifted her gaze back to her ankle. “But I'll probably not be able to run and that seems to be all we're doing here.”
 
“We'll figure something out.”
 
She shivered and shoved a strand of drying hair from her eyes. “Thank you for saving me. I'm sorry-”
 
“Stop apologizing. It's getting kinda annoying.”
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Hikari….”
 
She bit her lip trying to keep from repeating herself again. Her nose twitched and she suddenly sneezed. “I just hope I don't have pneumonia now on top of everything else. Taichi would throw a fit.”
 
“We all would.” Daisuke sighed dropping the first aid kit to the ground and wrapped his encircled around her despite how oddly awkward it felt. He couldn't determine what had changed but he didn't like it. In either case, he couldn't let her fall ill.
 
“Daisuke….”
 
“I'm not going to let you get sick and you did say you trust me right?”
 
Hikari shifted slightly and curled up against him, leaning against his chest. “Yeah, and thank you.”
 
He repositioned his jacket so that it covered Hikari and held her close to him as he watched the flames cast dancing shadows around their cave. Normally he would have been enthralled to hold her just as he was now, but… something was pushing those emotions back.
 
“Don't turn away.”
 
Daisuke blinked at the voice that seemed to echo in his head. He turned his head towards Hikari and found her sound asleep. “What?”
 
“Don't forget your promise.”
 
“My promise?” He tried to think but his head was beginning to pound with heavy pressure as though it could explode. It was as if something was trying to block him and for one terrifying moment as he looked down at Hikari, his mind drew a blank on who she was. Hesitantly he reached out for her limp hand and grabbed it, clutching on to it as though it were the only thing keeping him from falling into a deep dark hole. There was something that he had forgotten, something that may have the reason behind everything but he couldn't remember. And if he couldn't remember, did any of the others? Did they even know?
 
“Daisuke,” The sleeping girl mumbled, unaware of the questions racing through his mind as she enclosed her hand around his.
 
“Damn it. Why can't I remember?” In the back of his mind he could see a younger version of Hikari with her hands behind her back. Her bright brown eyes seemed to sparkle with laughter as she gave him one of her mysterious smiles. “Don't forget, Daisuke.” He felt a pang of sadness at the glow of life that revolved around her compared to the girl lying in his arms. It was as though they were two different people yet they were both Yagami Hikari. “I'm sorry, Hikari.”
 
Her brown eyes fluttered open and stared at him in wonderment. “What are you sorry about?”
 
“Oh! I-I didn't mean to wake you… Sorry.” He rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment.
 
Hikari smirked in turn. “Hey, if I'm not allowed to be sorry then neither are you! That's a double standard.”
 
Daisuke had to chuckle at her response. There still is a bit of the old Hikari in there after all. Maybe trying to pretend that she is the same girl may help me remember what I'm not supposed to forget. With that in mind he grinned winking at her. “Well, I'm special so I don't have to follow those rules. Besides, You're the one that's every other word began with S and ended in Y.”
 
“Silly? Yes, I'd say that'd be true. You are silly after all.”
 
He groaned at her answer. “Fine. Begins in SO and ended in Y.”
 
She paused for a moment then giggled. “I don't think I'd call you Sonny. Maybe you have me confused with a little old lady though Soapy would work if you were to have been mauled by a dog escaping his flea bath.”
 
“Now whose being silly?” he raised an eyebrow at her.
 
A teasing smile crossed Hikari's lips as she twirled a lock of hair between her fingers. “I don't know. You?”
 
Daisuke's eyes danced in merriment and before he even realized it, he had brought his mouth down to Hikari's in a simple yet moderately passionate kiss. Just as was about to pull her closer, his eyes flew open and he froze, staring in horror at Hikari's wide-eyed expression. “Shit. I…. Damn it.” Daisuke bolted to his feet, stumbling slightly as his heart seemed to pound in his ears. He drew a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair as he swore to the ceiling of the cave, trying to avoid Hikari's bewildered face. “Well, I guess we're even now… huh.”
 
“But…” She wrung her hands together as if fighting to find the right words and shook her head as if trying to clear it. “Why did you…I mean I …. Were we more than just friends?”
 
Oh shit…. Here we go… The boy leaned his head against the wall and debated how to answer the question. There was so much to explain, but the question remained, how much should he divulge?
 
“Tell me the truth, Daisuke. The pictures…. We looked close and you said you loved someone, but they had went away….” Hikari's eyes flashed as she thought back to the conversation more closely. “It was me, wasn't it? Wasn't it?” Her voice became higher as she leapt to her feet and turned to glare down at him. “Tell me the truth, damn it!”
 
He lifted his gaze towards hers and clenched his jaw. “I can't. Not until you remember.” Daisuke's eyes widened at the words that fell out of his mouth. “You need to remember on your own, not by what anyone tells you.”
 
“Damn you.” Her hand swung out to slap him for his bluntness but halted halfway. Instead she limped towards the opposite side of the cave and collapsed painfully to the ground. Hugging her bruised and scrapped knees to her chest, she cried. “You-you're right,” she said through a broken voice. “It-it's just so hard.”
 
“I know, but I promise I won't leave your side until you tell me to and even then, well, I may watch from afar. Just to make sure you're okay.” He sighed again as he redirected his attention to the fire. “We better get some sleep then we can scout out and see if we can find some answers for a change because I am getting sick and tired of wandering around aimlessly.”
 
Hikari nodded in agreement. Silently they hoped they would find Hikari's memories soon before anything else could start disappearing.
 
*~*~*~*
Author Notes: I think this is the first chapter that I have note ended in some sort of cliffhanger. I have to say things are really getting intense before the four groups. I'm intrigued as to how the last few chapters will turn out.
 
Thank you for reviewing and I hope you enjoyed the latest installment.