Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Reviving the Light ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 30
Reviving the Light
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
The wind grew more abusive as leaves, rocks, broken branches and twigs were hurtled at the Chosen like missiles as they raced through the forest. No one said a word as they concentrated on evading the debris as they ran. Hissing and spitting, the storm made chase, refusing to give up its quarry without a fight.
 
Rosa bit back a curse as she tripped over a small hole that sent her tumbling. She stared at the ground in confusion as a pair of strong arms lifted her to her feet. She looked blankly at Iori's face and shrugged. “Sorry. I guess I'm a klutz after all.”
 
“Stop apologizing as keep moving,” he urged, pulling her around by the arm.
 
“But it's true. I didn't used to…I'm worthless.”
 
Iori turned towards Rosa's downcast face in confusion. “What? No you aren't. You-”
 
“I am too!” She threw his hand off her and gritted her teeth unaware that the other Chosen had paused to watch the outcome for the odd outburst. “Everyone always tells me I'm estupido. Ella es loca. Es demasiado alta y fea. Es sin valor.” Rosa threw her hands in the air as tears began to stream down her face. “No cuido!”
 
Tani brought her hand to her mouth in pity over the teenaged girl's frustration. She tried to move towards the girl, but Sora held her back shaking her head. “She needs to let it out. You should know that best.”
 
“But we are dealing with a tornado. Shina intends to-”
 
“If Rosa can activate her stone, maybe this will all stop,” Sora whispered in the young woman's ear.
 
“What if that doesn't work?”
 
“Anything is worth a shot at this point.” Yamato scowled at the approaching storm as the breeze whipped through his thick bangs.
 
“She can do it,” Taichi nodded, his eyes flicking at the distressed Mexican girl. “If she doesn't we'll just have to drag her off because there isn't anything that is going to stop me from find my sister!”
 
Tani bit her lip as she silently watched.
 
Iori looked at the girl in confusion. “I don't understand what you said, but if you're referring to others calling you inferior they're wrong. For one thing, you're a Chosen hands down and that is not something to take lightly.”
 
Rosa sniffled and wiped at her eyes with the back of her hand. She closed her eyes shaking her head and opened her mouth to argue his point but never had a chance as another voice spoke before she could.
 
“You know he's right.”
 
“Who?” Rosa blinked at the soft voice in her head in and groaned. “I really am going crazy.”
 
“No you aren't. You have allowed others to keep you down for too long.”
 
“They're right. I'm just an ugly tall freak,” she murmured softly.
 
The light cloaked figure stepped in front of the girl and gave her a hard look. “You mustn't let them destroy you. You are stronger than that and if you give into their foolishness then all is lost.”
 
“But-”
 
Icy blue eyes seemed to glow from behind the hood. “There is much you will have to face and I cannot promise that it will be easy, but you mustn't fail…not again.”
 
“What? What do you mean-”
 
“Please bring an end to this chaos or all will be lost.”
 
Rosa stammered as the figure began to fade. A mixture of bewilderment, wonder, and fury bubbled in her stomach. “It can't be.” She shook her head furiously and drew a deep breath. She had been referred to a tall freak for so long that she couldn't figure out how anyone could see her as anything but. “Maybe I'm not so bad after all. I mean Tani is tall and Sora kind of is too and Iori is really tall…” A light blush tinted her cheeks at that thought. Images of girls taunting her for her long and thin frame made her feel awkward and unappealing again. I used to be short and cute then before I knew it, puberty attacks and I end up sprouting like a weed. Why I let it get to me… I don't know. Maybe I am being ridiculous after all. I mean I used to not care about what people thought and…I really have been stupid. Well those other girls can just kiss my ass and oh my God. I'm standing here thinking about this when there is a tornado coming! Suddenly Rosa fell forward and blinked in confusion at the grass.
 
“Apparently, whatever you just did worked,” Iori said as his lips tried to twitch into a smile.
 
“Huh?” She looked at her hand and noted that the bracelets on her wrist were now a brilliant gold rather than a dull gray. She immediately leapt to her feet and squealed as she cheerfully rambled in Spanish at her gold colored short-sleeved peasant top and copper toned Capri pants with matching shoes and socks. Her ponytail in a much richer brown bounced happily as she jumped in delight.
 
“I guess that means she's happy,” Yamato grinned as Taichi laughed at the girl's reaction, oblivious to the calmness around them.
 
SI! I mean yes!” She spun around and smiled shyly at Iori then shrugged. “What the hell.” She quickly grabbed him by the front of his shirt, pulled him towards her and kissed him right on the lips.
 
Tani giggled as Taichi gaped in shock at the girl's bold move.
 
“Um, what would her crest be?” He asked, breaking out of his previous stupor and began to chuckle at Iori's stunned expression.
 
“I suspect Spirit. She definitely shows it well.”
 
“Oh!” Rosa released Iori and snatched her stone from her pocket. “Um, does anyone know what a triangle with two slash marks means? My stone looks kind of like gold.”
 
Tani smiled as Iori stumbled backwards in shock then shook his head as though trying to clear it. “That would be Spirit.”
 
“Gotsumon would find it fitting too.” Her smile softened as she thought of her missing partner. “I really miss him.” She thought sadly about her digimon when suddenly the wind picked up even stronger. She gasped in warning at the forgotten tornado that was now much closer than before. “What happened? It was calmer before and now-”
 
“Stop contemplating it and run,” Iori shouted, grabbing her by the arm once again as he and the others took off at a fierce sprint.
 
“I think the activation of Rosa's stone gave a moment of peace, but it wasn't nearly strong enough to stop it all together,” Yamato yelled as Taichi took the lead.
 
“SHIT!” The leader skidded to the stop and snagged Tani by the waist before she could run off the edge of the cliff. “EVERYONE STOP!”
 
“Oh God,” Sora panted as she realized that they were now trapped. “What are we going to do? I don't think we'll have enough time to find a safe place to climb down.”
 
Tani shook her head slowly as her eyes clouded with despair. “This can't be it…. It can't be. Shina, you can't actually intend to kill us. You're my sister and I love you more than life. PLEASE STOP THIS!”
 
Taichi said nothing as fury burned in his eyes and the tornado neared. Never before had he felt more trapped than he did at that moment. “I don't know how, but we'll make it and we're going to find Hikari. It's a promise.” His words wavered as the wind grew stronger threatening to shove them off the cliff.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Taichi? Brown eyes flew open as a frown crossed the girl's unpainted lips. She looked up and stared up at the bright blue sky overhead considering in silence why she had thought of her brother at that moment. But… do I even have a brother?
 
“What are you thinking about, Mitsu?”
 
Mitsu?
 
A silver haired girl smiled softly as the breeze toyed with her long shining locks like a silky flag. She giggled and touched the girl's shoulder lightly. “You really need to stop daydreaming.”
 
“But that's not my-” She began to argue then shook her head. “I do have an older brother, right?”
 
“Where did you get that idea from? You must be reading too many mangas or something, Mitsu. You don't have any siblings. And I should know best being your best friend Sumi. Just don't let Kane and Toshi find out.”
 
“Kane? Toshi? But I-”
 
“Is Sumi giving you a hard time again, Mitsu?” Cooper colored eyes seemed to laugh as the boy with dark hair edged in crimson sat down on the bench across from the girls. He flipped his shoulder length locks from his face and smirked.
 
“I-I suppose so…”
 
“Sumi, leave her alone.” His voice was cold as he barked the order. The silver haired girl shrank back slightly but kept her chin up.
 
Just then a golden haired boy joined them as well, taking a seat next to the other boy. He pushed at his glasses and raised an eyebrow. “Are you two at it again?”
 
“Butt out, Toshi,” Sumi hissed earning a shrug from the boy.
 
Is this real? I don't remember and yet I do…I'm so confused. The brunette sighed deeply as the trio continued to argue.
 
“You're such a prima donna, Sumi!”
 
“Trust your heart.”
 
The lost girl spun around and found herself staring at a figure draped in a long white cloak. She placed one finger to her concealed face, prompting the girl not to speak. Trust my heart. What's in my heart? She studied her three so-called friends carefully. There was arrogance, control, and manipulation, as well as something else that she couldn't quite put her finger on. Whatever it was, it felt fake or staged. Everything included the name they chose to call her by was a fake. She closed her eyes and wished to find the truth.
 
“No! You don't want to eat that!” A young boy with a mop of messy brown hair struggled to pull a bowl from a toddler girl's grasp from inside a rather cozy looking kitchen. She clutched on as tears welled up in her brown eyes begging for him to let go.
 
“Taichi, be nice to your little sister,” a woman scolded her son from the table where she seemed to be engrossed in a book.
 
The little boy looked up at her pleadingly. “But she was gonna eat the cat's food!”
 
The cat sat up on the table where she was napping as the mother blinked then gently picked up her daughter. “Sweetie, that's yucky food. You don't want to eat that. How about we find something yummy?”
 
The cat jumped down and looked up in question sniffing at the bowl Taichi was holding then sent the woman a glare as if asking, “If it's yucky food then why are you feeding it to me?”
 
The woman seated her daughter at the table and gave her a cookie. She then handed one to her son and kissed him on the cheek. “Is Taichi being a good big brother and looking out for his little sister?” The father walked in the room and ruffled the boy's hair as he eagerly ate his treat.
 
“Hikari was trying to eat Miko's food, Susumu,” she replied softly with a look of bewilderment and disgust at the idea of it on her face.
 
“Ah, but her big brother wouldn't let her. That's my boy.” He grinned and gave Taichi a second cookie.
 
“Susumu! No more cookies before dinner!”
 
Hikari. My name is Hikari. Yagami Hikari. That's me. The girl thought as the image faded and changed. She suddenly found herself crashing threw what felt like glass. Shards seemed to pierce her flesh as she fell.
 
“Mitsu,” the silver haired girl giggled in her dark school uniform. Her long silver hair pulled back in a silky ponytail. “Come on or we'll be late for class. “ She smiled offering her hand.
 
The brunette paused and looked towards a lavender haired girl with glasses wearing a green school uniform. “Come on, Hikari. We have to meet the others in the computer lab, remember?”
 
“I-”
 
Trust your heart.
 
She faltered then accepted the tall bespectacled girl's outstretch hand. The other girl snarled as she moved to swipe at her nemesis. “You won't win that easily.”
 
“Hikari!”
 
She spun around and looked in horror at her blood stained clothing. “No, I didn't do this. Stop lying to me!”
 
Bits and pieces of other images flew through her mind. Everything from past birthday parties, outing with friends, and school flashed before her eyes. Suddenly everything changed and a heavy sensation filled her.
 
Hikari sniffled as she stared out the car window. Her heart felt as though it were shattering with each second that ticked by.
 
“Don't be sad, sweetie. This will be a fresh start for all of us,” her mother said reassuringly.
 
She tried to swallow back her sobs, wishing that this was only some horrible dream and that she'd wake up in her warm bed in Odaiba. “I know.”
 
“You are pathetic.”
 
Hikari gasped as she landed with a splash in what seemed like a cold murky lake. She glanced up and shivered at the dim depressing atmosphere. “I've been here before.” She dropped her gaze to the water and frowned as a younger image of herself knelt in the same water clutching her head as though trying to block something out. Slowly it shifted to an older version of herself sobbing brokenheartedly as the water began to rise around her. Hikari could feel the waves of emotions rush up to her. I was upset. I had lost something. Something very dear and somehow ended up here. She contemplated the reason further and shook her head. No, not something. Someone. Someones.”
 
“Hikari! Hikari! Where are you?”
 
“Taichi. It's Taichi. He was looking for me. He and the others. I was upset. Nana had died. But not even a week later Grandpa passed away too. I was afraid that because they left me, everyone else would too,” she murmured as the image changed one more time. Instead it was a much older version of herself in the same despair filled state of mind, but only worse than before. It pained Hikari to see herself in so much agony that the very light that seemed to surround her was dying away. “Instead of them leaving me, I had to leave them and I gave everything up completely just so I wouldn't hurt anymore. I surrendered everything I had known of Odaiba just so the pain would go away.” Tears fell from her eyes as the realization hit her hard. “This is all my fault. I gave up my light willingly because I couldn't take the thought of being alone. My heart was already shattered so I thought that I didn't have anything left. I did this to myself damn it. I brought it all on myself.”
 
“It wasn't just you alone.”
 
Hikari looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes as she gazed up at the woman clothed in white. “Yes, it is. I selfishly gave everything up not caring about the consequences because I was afraid that everything would change. That I would return to Odaiba and everyone would have moved on and wouldn't want anything to do with me anymore. As though I had died or something.”
 
The woman nodded in understanding. “This wasn't completely your fault. You were prompted. You loved all your friends and hated the idea of leaving them, but you did not cause all of this to happen. There is more to everything than you know.”
 
“I did cause my memories to disappear.”
 
“Not entirely. You still have large gaps that will be filled, but that may take a bit more effort.”
 
“What do you mean? I remember everything. When I was nine Mimi moved to the US a few weeks after a camping trip we all had. Koushiro had accidentally ripped off her skirt when we were fishing. She was really embarrassed. A few weeks later I met Daisuke for the first time at the park on the swings. He- Daisuke!” A flush tinted her cheeks as Hikari brought her hands to her face to hide it. “He kissed me at Catherine's birthday party and…. it was in France. I can't remember why were all there but it was a big formal affair. I think we helped her somehow….. Now that I think of it I can't remember how I met everyone. Sora, Yamato, Koushiro, Takeru, Ken, Jyou, Mimi, Miyako, and Iori. But that doesn't make sense. I can't even remember meeting Catherine yet…” She frowned as she shook her head trying to retrieve the missing parts of her memory. “You're right. I still can't remember everything, but I don't care how painful those memories may be, I want them back no matter what.”
 
The cloaked woman smiled in acknowledgement. “At all costs? Even if you have to lose all you hold dear?”
 
Hikari bit her lip. “I don't want anyone to be hurt or killed if that is what you mean. Even if they caused me pain, I don't wish it back on them. Not even to Nitoni or the blue eyed girl in black, or even the three who were pretending to be my friends. If I have to fight, I will with all the strength I have, but only if there is no other way.”
 
“Even if it means returning here again someday?”
 
“This world of darkness? If it means I can help those I care about then yes. I know this isn't real and that I'm somehow trapped in my head but I'm tired of being weak. I was sick as a child and grew stronger. I don't want to be a burden to everyone again.” She bowed her head as she closed her eyes. “I believe that I finally have the strength to stand on my own and do what is right.”
 
Suddenly a burst of light flooded throughout her body. Hikari's eyes flew open as she jerked upright. She brought a hand to her face and froze at the sight of lavender colored gloves. Puzzled she turned her attention to her clothing. Rather than the bland shades of gray, she now wore a violet buttonless, sleeveless top that was tied at her waist over a mid-length sleeved lavender shirt with a double layered violet colored skirt with the under side in the same lavender shade as her gloves and top. Her calf length boots were also the same color. What caught her eye however was the fact that the stone in her necklace was now a brilliant amethyst color. She bit her lip and ran a hand through her mid length hair then scooted off the cold stone slab she was sitting on.
 
“So, you're finally awake.”
 
Hikari spun around and gasped at the young woman's rage filled eyes glowering down upon her. She rose to her feet and stood up straight. “I know you do not mean to be as spiteful as you try to act. Please, let me help.”
 
“You can't do anything! You're just an insignificant little nothing.” The dark cloak billowed behind her as her sapphire gaze sparkled menacingly. “Besides, I have already found your playmate. Too bad he was a real pushover. But I guess traveling through a drought will do that to you.” She laughed moving away from the corner she was standing in to reveal the lifeless body of Motomiya Daisuke lying very still on the cool stone floor.
 
“Daisuke!” Hikari moved to race towards his side, but was blocked by the other woman. “Please give him some water or something. You can just let him die. You're not that cruel!”
 
“This coming from someone who had taken a life.”
 
“That's not true. I have never killed anyone.”
 
The woman's hand flew with a crackle of a whip against Hikari's face. “Liar! You come off as sweet and perfect Yagami Hikari but you are anything but. You make me sick.” She grabbed the brunette's long brown hair and yanked her head back. “You destroyed the only life that gave a damn about me and the fact they you don't even remember makes me despise you even more.” She shoved the girl hard to the ground and yelled in fury.
 
I don't understand. What did I do? What am I not remembering? Hikari touched her throbbing cheek gingerly and turned back towards the woman that called her an enemy. “Even though I can't remember I'm sure it was either some mistake or an accident. Please help Daisuke. You can do what you want with me just don't let him die. None of this is his fault.”
 
“You don't remember…. You killed my digimon, you bitch!” She threw her hood back to reveal deep blue eyes glimmering through dark violet bangs. The rest of her hair was chin length cut choppily and sticking out at odd angles.
 
Hikari took a step back in shock at her words and brought a hand to her mouth as the memories involving the digimon and her time as a Chosen Child began to flood back. Her own Tailmon smiled kindly in her mind as she collapsed to her knees. The memory suddenly became vividly clear.
 
The Keramon had evolved into something stronger than an Armageddemon. It was beyond an Ultimate and nearly killed Daisuke, Miyako, Ken, Sora, Yamato, Iori and herself. Taichi was knocked out and Daisuke's sprained knee kept him immobilized him after a particularly nasty fall. This however wasn't the biggest problem. The fact that the digimon were unable to evolve had everyone involved concerned for their own survival as well as their partners. All they could do was hold out as best they could as they tried to protect their partners and each other. Oddly, as Hikari looked at her injured friends covered in cuts, scraped and bruises, something seemed to spark in her as the evil digimon threw another assault towards them. Summoning all her strength she braced herself for another attack but it never came. As she opened her eyes she stared in wonder as the digimon began to dissolve. She never understood what had exactly happened, but that was the last time they had seen it ever again.
 
“Then if it's the digimon I think you're talking about then…. The Keramon was yours? But why? Why were you trying to destroy the Digital World? Why were you trying to kill everyone?”
 
“You're pathetic.”
 
A light glow slowly appeared around Hikari as she shook her head. “No, Shina. You were lonely. You felt like no one appreciated you because you were fighting for the attention against three seemingly perfect siblings. They always got all the merits and you were left in the middle of everything.”
 
The young woman's head snapped up and she gazed angrily at the blank, glazed appearance of Hikari's eyes. “Get out of my head, you bitch!” She slapped the girl again then held a glass ball out in front of her face. “See this? See your stupid friends? If I give the say, they die. Got it?”
 
Hikari looked at the images of the other Chosen fighting to survive against either a tornado, avalanche, or hurricane. Each storm was equally deadly. She bowed her head in surrender. “I'll do whatever you want. Just let them and Daisuke go.”
 
Shina raised an eyebrow and snorted. “Just like that? Damn, you really are stupid.”
 
“Just because I'd choose to sacrifice myself for the ones I love does not mean I lack intelligence. I just don't want anyone to hurt anymore because of me. Don't you have anyone that you value even more than your own life?”
 
“No. Now shut the hell up!” Shina moved to strike the other girl again but halted. Instead she curled her hand into a fist and growled. “I'll deal with you later.”
 
Hikari glanced between Shina and Daisuke as fear flooded her mind. Without a second thought she launched herself at Shina as the young woman turned to leave the room. Throwing her full body weight, Hikari managed to tackle her to the ground.
 
“GET THE HELL OFF OF ME!” Shina roared, thrashing violently at her nemesis, struggling to buck the girl from her back.
 
“Not until you realize that what you're doing is wrong,” she replied through gritted teeth as Shina's elbow smashed into her jaw. Hikari bit back a scream as the pain intensified, but was determined to keep her opponent pinned until she saw reason. “Your sisters care about you, don't you see that?”
 
“GET OFF ME, YOU TWIT!”
 
“NOT UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOUR OWN STUPIDTY!”
 
Shina growled and slammed the back of her head into the side of Hikari's face. The girl cried out in pain but relentlessly kept her hold. “YOU'RE THE STUPID ONE, YOU BITCH!”
 
“YOU'RE BEING USED!” Hikari winced as Shina's elbow drove into her side. She sharply sucked in a breath and held it for a second it. “Don't you see? They're taking all the anger and hurt you have felt and twisted it into a weapon to be used against everyone. You're nothing but a tool. Don't destroy everything.” She bowed her head as tears slipped from her brown eyes. “If Keramon meant so much to you then why did you allow him to be used to hurt others? I don't think you're a bad person. You've just been hurt too much, but everyone gets hurt. The important thing is to pick yourself back up and repair what you can of the damage, but don't let it get to you either. You can change.”
 
“I. Don't. Want. To. CHANGE!” At the last word Shina used all of her strength and threw Hikari off, sending her crashing into a wall. She immediately rose to her feet and grabbed the glass sphere and turned to Hikari's dazed form slumped against wall, blooded trickling into her eyes as she fought to climb to her feet. A sinister glint sparked in Shina's eyes as she looked from the ball to Hikari. “And just to show you my gratitude I think I'll finish those idiots once and for all.” She laughed as she smashed the ball into ground, shards of glass and color flew around the room from impact as the Child of Light screamed in horror.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: This chapter seemed to take forever to write. I had to constantly add bits and pieces here and there because it wasn't coming together properly. I really didn't expect the confrontation between Shina and Hikari to go the way it did. And no, I am in no way Anti-Hikari. I just oddly seem to give the characters I like a hard time.
 
There should be at least one more chapter to go. I guess it really depends on how everything gets pulled off in regards to how much more is left for this story. The next chapter will more than likely feature everyone. The only real question is regarding whether or not it'll be the end.
 
I hope you enjoyed the newest installment.