Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Dukemon & the Mechanical City ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dukemon & the MechanicalCity

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"AArrrgghhhhh!"

Janet was wishing she hadn't woken up when she realized she was way up in the sky, falling at a rapid pace. She was back to her Guilmon form, through it wouldn't be of much help.

I'm gonna ddiieeee! She thought. Hey, wait! There's a lake below!

Perhaps she did stand a chance after all. However, Janet still didn't want to see the outcome and covered her eyes with her claws, curling into a ball at the same time.

Still screaming, she continued until she hit…

SPLAT!

…a large puddle of soft mud a couple of feet away from the lake.

Groaning, she pushed her head to the surface, wiping the mud out of her eyes. The mud hadn't done much for her general appearance, but at least it had cushioned her fall.

Jan leaned against the side of the mud pit and sighed.

"At times like this, I suppose all one can do is laugh. Well, it could've been worse." She muttered. "I could've landed in the middle of the sea for all I know…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wonderful, I'm in the middle of nowhere." Janet sighed, replacing her Digivice on her belt.

The map feature hadn't been able to locate anything and Janet just kept walking North, hoping she'd get somewhere eventually.

There were a lot of other things on her mind too. Whether Zoe, Steve and Sekata were all right. And the Digimetal Knights…were they out looking for her? How far away was she thrown to?

"Damn…it's hot…" She said out loud, wiping her brow and a signboard.

It surprised her that her first thought was to dig a hole in the ground.

"I have got to get out of these scales before Steve curses me and I really turn into Guilmon."

A sharp whistle caused her to snap up. It had sounded like the whistle of a train.

"Huh?" Janet wondered, looking down.

She hadn't realized she was standing on a set of train tracks. The tracks branched off in two directions and she'd been leaning on the junction sign all along.

"Hey, maybe I could…"

Suddenly, some sections of the tracks shifted, which was to allow the train to move along another junction. Unfortunately, since Janet was standing on the tracks, the moving parts caught both her feet, wedging both tightly as they locked into position.

"Oh no! Oh no! NNOOO!" She panicked, desperately pulling to get her feet out.

Her body was off balanced as she swayed from side to side in the process. It would've been an extremely comical sight if she wasn't about to get run down by a train.

In the distance, she could see the smoke of the approaching vehicle.

"Come on! Come on!" She yelled, tugging away.

Eventually, she managed to get one foot free, but the train was getting dangerously close. Janet looked down and noticed there was enough space between the tracks. Furiously, she began digging a small hole, just large enough for herself.

The train was almost upon her now and Janet gave it one final glance before pushing herself down into the hole. Although one foot was still stuck, the change in position allowed her to pull better.

With a pop, her foot came free seconds before the train rolled over her position.

"Whew…" Janet gasped, ducking low down inside her hole.

Janet didn't notice that while the rest of her body was down, her tail was still partially sticking up through the hole. And it so happened the tip of her tail was accidentally caught by a low section of the rear caboose.

"YYYAARRGGGHHHH!" Janet screamed as she was suddenly yanked out of the hole and dragged along with the train. "This is NOT what I had in mind!!!!!"

After a few minutes of yelling in panic, Janet managed to use her tail to pull herself onto the platform. Glad to be back on solid ground, she gripped the railings as tightly as she could with her claws.

"Stupid tail." She muttered. "The thing's got a mind of its own."

Janet tried the rear door of the caboose to find it locked. Perhaps it was a good thing too, she didn't want to be caught as a stowaway.

Janet examined the rest of the train's carriages from her position. All of them seemed to be cargo transports, tightly sealed up. Her Digivice lit up and Janet held it up, pointing it at the front of the train.

"Locomon." She read. "Machine Digimon, Ultimate level. Wow, it's a Digimon too. Well, maybe I'll stay on for a while and see where he's headed."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

After several hours, Locomon approached a huge industrial city surrounded by high walls. Janet could see large amounts of black smoke emitting from huge exhaust chimneys. All the buildings were a dull gray color, through Jan wasn't sure whether from the pollution or through choice of the developer.

Locomon approached a side gate and stopped to be checked by a squad of Gardromon. Janet quickly leapt off the rear car and hit in the bushes nearby. The Gardromon inspected the Locomon's cargo thoroughly before letting him continue.

"Better not try getting in through there." Janet told herself.

She walked around and found the front gate, guarded by just two Gardromon.

"Excuse me…" She began.

"Warning! Warning! Unauthorized personnel detected." The Gardromon said in a monotone voice, raising their arms. "Only Machine Digimon are permitted in Factorial Town."

"No, it's not like that. I just need directions…"

"State your purpose immediately."

"What?!"

"Repeat, state your purpose immediately or be evicted from Factorial Town grounds."

"But I…"

"Final warning, state your purpose immediately or be evicted from Factorial Town grounds."

"I…erm…" Janet gave the guards the cute Guilmon 'blinking eyes and flapping ears' look. "I'm just here for a tour of the factory."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"YYYYYYAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

Janet flew headfirst and landed in a puddle of mud.

"And don't come back!" The Gardromon warned before returning to their posts.

Janet pulled her head out of the mud, shaking it off her face.

"No fair, that worked on TV." She muttered. "Grrr…I really wanna find whoever's in charge of this damned place and give him a piece of my mind."

Looking back, an idea suddenly hit her. Janet dashed off into a nearby forest.

"So, they want a Machine Digimon, do they? Well…" She looked down at her Digivice. "They're about to get one…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome to Factorial Town ." The guard greeted.

Janet got a completely different response now that she'd evolved into MegaloGrowmon. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that she towered over the two Gardromon as well.

"Have you come to join in the war effort?"

Huh? War effort?! Janet thought.

"Erm, yes. I'm looking for some work." She said.

"Then please come in and enjoy your stay." The guards smiled, opening the gates.

Janet looked around in awe, at the same time trying to make it look like she wasn't. The whole town was like a factory itself. All sorts of activities were being carried out as Digimon scurried about like ants.

As expected, each one was a machine type Digimon. Among those she recognized were Gardromon , Clockmon, Giromon, Hagurumon and Mekanorimon.

With the exception for larger ones, few of the Digimon made eye contact with her. MegaloGrowmon was a considerably large Ultimate Digimon and Janet knew it would probably keep her out of trouble, provided she didn't go looking for it.

But she still needed to get some info about this 'war' bit. Janet wandered around town for a while until she came to a bar, meant for larger Digimon. Taking note of the menu outside, she walked in.

"House special." She told the bartender, a MetalMamemon.

The tiny Digimon whisked off as he mixed drinks in bottles nearly as large as himself. In the end, he passed Janet a large mug filled with a strange smelling, bubbling yellow liquid.

I'm supposed to drink this?! Janet thought, walking over to an empty table. Well, bottom's up!

Grasping the mug in her oddly shaped three-fingered claws, Janet gulped it down, trying not to stick out like a sore thumb.

Wow, it's actually good!

"Hey there lady, this seat taken?"

Janet looked up to see a MetalGreymon (Vaccine type) standing at her table.

"Yes." She growled, getting the instinctive feeling that the guy was bad news.

"Come on, I think it isn't." MetalGreymon said calmly, pulling the chair with his smaller right arm and placing his larger mechanical left one on the table.

"Get lost!" Janet snarled.

"Hey, we just met you know? I haven't even said anything to you yet." He continued calmly. "So, what's a nice girl like you doing in a dump like this?"

"If you're attempting to hit on me buddy…" Janet jabbed him on the shoulder with a claw. "Let me tell you in advance that it ain't working!"

"That wasn't my intention, through…now that you mention it…" MetalGreymon winked.

"Come any closer and you'll be sorry." Janet said, beginning to get really pissed off.

"Oh really? What's the worse you could do?"

"Don't say I didn't warn you!"

"All right, I won't." He grinned. "Tell you what, I'll even pay your bill!"

"Good. RRaarrghh!"

Janet drove an uppercut into his chin, followed by smacking him on his unarmored right shoulder and finished by kneeing him between the legs.

MetalGreymon's eyes nearly popped out as he stared in both shock and pain.

Janet then lifted him up, spun him around in the air and sent his head in a pile driver motion into the table, shattering it and a good portion of the floor as well.

The short fight captured the crowd's attention for a couple of minutes before everyone went back to minding their own business.

"I warned you." Janet hissed, grabbing MetalGreymon's horn and leaning close to his ear.

She dropped him and quickly left the bar.

"Wow! What a girl!" MetalGreymon gasped from his spot on the floor. "Through she could've gone a little easier below the belt. Man! I've got to catch up with her!"

Ignoring his pain, he sprang up and dashed for the door, only to be stopped by the MetalMamemon bartender.

"And who's going to pay for all this?"

"Erm…hehehe…" MetalGreymon laughed nervously, looking at the damaged table.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! Wait up!" MetalGreymon called, shoving his way through the crowd.

"I'm not talking to you." Janet growled as he ran along beside her.

"That was a fine one you pulled on me with the table." He spoke, keeping pace with her.

"It was your fault for not going away when I told you to."

"Wait! Wait! Will you just stop for a minute?" MetalGreymon ran in front of her. "Look, I'm sorry. We got off on the wrong foot…"

"Wrong foot this!" Janet stomped on his foot and shoved him away.

"Ow! Ow! I'm really sincere about it! You have to believe me!" MetalGreymon insisted, chasing after her. "Hey, you're looking for work too right? I've got contacts that can get us a place in the main factory!"

Main factory?! Janet thought, stopping. Could I get some information there? Hmmm…this guy does seem somewhat sincere. Perhaps I could give him a chance and try to get a little out of him too…

"You are right?" MetalGreymon asked excitedly, running up beside her. "Knew it! I can tell you're not from around here!"

"Yeah, that's what I came here for." Janet nodded.

"You have any preferences?"

"I just do anything that come by and gets me cash." Janet replied, trying her best to sound 'in-character'.

"Awesome, then that puts us in the same boat!" MetalGreymon grinned. "We could get quite a bit working together. What do you say? Partners?"

"I'll consider it…"

"Oh, haven't re-introduced myself yet, have I?" He said, offering his armored left claw. "I'm MetalGreymon, but you can call me Jet. It's my nickname."

"I'm MegaloGrowmon." Janet took his claw in one of her own.

"Haven't seen one of your kind before." Jet said. "But the name really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?"

"My nickname's Jan." Janet told him. "You can call me that if you prefer."

"Definitely. Hey, you realize how both our actual names and nicknames go together? You know? M & M, J & J? A real coincidence huh?"

"Don't make me regret my decision." Janet snarled. "But where is this place we're supposed to go to?"

"You don't know where the Main factory is? Never mind, just follow me and I'll show you!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Jet, what's with this war effort they're talking about?" Janet asked as they walked.

"I don't know much really." He replied. "But they're doing quite a bit of weapons and arms manufacturing in the main factory and the surrounding ones. The other factories around are for other stuff like fuel, vehicle and maintenance. Anyway who cares right? As long as we get paid."

"Yeah, you're right. I was just curious."

"Can't blame you." Jet said. "After all, I did find the pay a little hard to believe myself."

He leaned close and whispered into her ear, not wanting anyone else to hear.

"Wow…" Janet muttered.

"Cool huh? Well, here it is." Jet pointed.

Janet looked up, staring at the large building. It was definitely very huge and wide, taking up the entire rear sector of the town. Like the rest of the city, it was a dull gray, with multiple chimneys protruding from its roof.

"Rather than going up, it extends way beneath the ground, or so I heard from Andromon." He explained.

"Who?"

"Oh, an old buddy of mine. He's gonna get us past this queue." Jet continued, pulling her through the crowd at the entrance and over to a side gate. "Hey! Andromon! How are ya?"

"Doing well, thank you." The Andromon replied. "Come for the job?"

"Yeah, and I brought a friend here too." Jet put his unarmored arm around Janet's shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet stayed around the factory for several days. It was simple work and constantly moving crates wasn't much that her powerful Ultimate form couldn't handle.

However, it did bug her that something seemed to be wrong. For one, the main corridors and common areas were closed to all employees at night, allowing only security personnel. There seemed to be a rather large amount of security measures too, including surveillance cameras and alarms.

Jet had suggested it was tighter because they were handling and manufacturing weapons. Reasonable, except Janet hadn't found out exactly for what. And judging from the constant grouchy mood of their supervisor, a Gigidramon, Janet hadn't been in a position to go round asking.

Jet on the other hand, seemed almost too laid back and easy going. He carried out his work without a care, constantly staying close to her and talking about what he'd do once he became rich.

One night, Janet devised a plan. It was a day Jet and her had a late shift. They were moving crates around as usual when Janet put hers down, shaking an arm around.

"You OK?" Jet asked.

"Ow…I think I pulled a few wires loose." Janet told him. "Think you can cover for me? I'm going to run down to Maintenance for a while."

"Sure thing Jan."

Janet ran down the hallway, but instead of heading to her destination, she stepped into a storage room instead. She'd discovered that the camera in this hall was faulty, allowing her to get into the storage room without being seen.

After making sure the door was locked, she de-evolved to Guilmon and pulled open an air vent, hidden behind some empty crates.

It wasn't easy finding her way through the vents, but Janet had made mental notes of the factory's layout. She was making her way towards the central room when she heard voices.

Crawling to the side, she peeked through the vent's grills to see Gigidramon having a conversation with someone out of her view.

"Are the preparations complete?" The disembodied voice asked.

"Almost sir." Gigidramon reported. "Weapon production has been going as expected."

"And the attack force?"

"Into its final stages sir. The Metal Empire will be ready within days."

"Excellent. Our first targets will be our former allies, and then the rest of the Digital World will fall before my wrath!"

Janet gasped as the figure stepped into her view.

"Machinedramon…" She muttered.

The two mechanical dragons begun going into technical details of their plans.

"Damn, it's a whole mechanical army being build up, vent on conquering the Digital World. But what the heck am I supposed to do?!"

Janet shifted her tail and accidentally hit a loose screw hanging from the side of the wall. It fell out with a disturbingly loud clattering against the metal surfaces.

"What was that?!" Machinedramon asked, glancing around.

Oh shit! Got to get the hell out of here!

Crawling like mad, Janet managed to retrace her steps to her starting location. She evolved back to MegaloGrowmon just as alarms begun sounding. While running back along the corridor, she met up with Jet.

"What the heck's going on?!" Jet asked.

"I was about to ask you the same thing." Janet replied. "This is crazy!"

"No kidding." Jet nodded. "I think we should get back to our quarters before the guards start asking questions."

"I agree." Janet said, taking a few steps past him.

"Oh Jan?"

"Yes?"

"I'd like to apologize in advance."

"What?" Janet turned around just in time to see the MetalGreymon's cyborg arm flying into her face.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You've done very well my boy." Machinedramon patted Jet on the back.

"Was she, really a spy?" Jet asked, looking over to the unconscious form of Jan bound to the wall.

Multiple restrains had been used to secure her body, tail and especially her bladed arms. Her jaws had been clamped shut and her chest mounted cannons covered as well.

Machinedramon was calmly juggling her red Digivice.

"I'm not paying you to ask questions, am I?"

"No, I…"

"Here."

Machinedramon shoved a large bag into Jet's arms.

"This is…" Jet opened the bag. "Whoa, how many years wager?"

"Only your reward for catching this spy for me." Machinedramon laughed. "Since you've made your fortune, you're free to leave if you so desire."

"I…"

Janet opened her eyes to see Jet and Machinedramon. After struggling in vain against her restrains, she gave Jet and extremely nasty look.

"I will be going now sir." He walked up and shook Machinedramon's claws. "Haven't met any employers as generous as you in a long time."

Janet pounded on the wall in rage as Jet left without another word. She tried firing her cannons, only to have the energy drained out by the metal converter placed over her chest.

"Keep doing that my dear, and you'll send enough energy to keep this room lighted." Machinedramon laughed, pointing at the lights on the ceiling. "Pity, I'd thought I'd like to have a little fun with you first, but I have an Empire to command if you don't mind. Gigidramon!"

"Yes sir!"

"You may take her to the Execution Room and dismantle her, piece by piece. After of course, you torture her slowly and painfully…"

"My pleasure sir." Gigidramon rubbed his claws together in glee.

Janet gulped as the whole wall section her was strapped to was detached and pulled away.

Left alone in the room, Machinedramon looked at the table.

"Hmmm…where did I put the girl's strange device?" He was sure he'd been holding it, but shoved it out of his mind.

It was none of his concern anyway. He had far more important things to do.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet broke out in cold sweat hearing the screams of another Digimon being tortured in the Torture Chamber.

Gigidramon had leaned her platform against a wall outside and was pacing back and forth, tapping his tail on the ground impatiently.

"Let's see." He was muttering. "Should I start by ripping your arms off? That should make sure you're still alive to feel more. Or maybe I'll do your legs instead? And how about your tail? Hahahah, why not all? Then, I can dislocate your shoulders, waist and head too!"

Janet was shaking her head, letting out muffled cried at the thought of being dismembered.

"All excited now, aren't you?" Gigidramon laughed. "Your turn will come soon."

However, the screaming continued until Gigidramon begun shaking his fists.

"Why isn't he dead yet?!" Gigidramon roared, barging into the room.

"Aaarrrghhh! Arrghh! Aiieeee!" The voice screamed.

BOOM!

"Hey! You shot my arm off!"

BOOM!

"YYuuaaaarrgghhhh….ack…ack…"

"There." Gigidramon came out, dusting his claws. "You want someone killed, do it yourself. Now, shall we?"

Janet was dragged into a gruesome-looking room. It looked like a modern version of a torture chambers in the medieval stories. All sorts of strange contraptions were scattered around the room and Janet couldn't bear to try guessing what they were for.

"Hey, Gigidramon!"

Who should come running into the room, but Jet.

"What is it Jet? Can't you see I'm busy?!"

"Oh, I just forgot to return this to you." Jet replied.

All of a sudden, he tossed a shiny object up into the air.

"Huh?!" Gigidramon looked up.

With a roar, Jet drove his cyborg arm straight through Gigidramon's chest. The metallic dragon let off a gurgled scream as his body evaporated in a cloud of data particles.

Andromon ran in behind Jet and locked the door. Jet caught a piece of Gigidramon's head as it fell.

"…"

"What's wrong?" Andromon asked.

"You know, he was actually my college roommate." Jet said, handing the head to Andromon.

Andromon shrugged and tossed it aside.

"Andromon, you help Jan out if she needs it." Jet ordered as he released Janet's restrains.

"Jet…" She muttered.

"Jan, look, I know you're really mad at me, but I thought it over, and I realized…well, there are more important things than money…" Jet hung his head. "I'm sorry…"

"Sorry this you Son of a B****!!!!!!" Janet yelled, grabbing Jet by the neck and throwing him into her former restrains.

She hit the switch and bound him there instead.

"Hey! What are you…ugh!"

Janet punched him in the stomach.

"Andromon, is there a main generator to this factory?" Janet queried.

"Yes, on the B10 level. It's impossible to miss. I believe destroying it will shut down all the others, if that's what you're planning." Andromon replied. "By the way, Jet snatched this from Machinedramon. I think it belongs to you."

He handed Janet back her Digivice.

"Good, help me out and watch him. Make sure he doesn't get hurt." She gestured towards the tied-up Jet. "Because I'll be back to do it myself once I'm done with Machinedramon."

Without another word, she hurried out of the room.

"Andromon! Untie me!" Jet cried.

"Apologies, but I am obliged to 'help Jan out'."

"Hey! That's not what I meant!"

"Just a minute." Janet ran back into the room and tied Jet's mouth shut. "Much better."

She smiled and dashed off again.

"MMuuurrmmppphhh!" A gagged Jet cried.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Atomic Blaster!"

Janet entered the generator room via the large hole she'd created.

"Halt!" A Gardromon ordered.

BOOM! Janet fired an Atomic Blaster into his face.

"That's odd, this is way too easy…" Janet thought as she approached the huge power generator. "No alarms, no guards…"

There was a sudden flicker of movement as a Tankmon on a higher platform fired a missile at her.

"Giga Destroyer!" A new pair of missile both blew away the Tankmon's missiles and detonated the Tankmon itself.

"What the?! Jet?!"

"Hey, don't think being tied up can stop me." Jet smiled, leaping down from the upper level. "Andromon sent a jamming frequency throughout the factory. I told him to get out after that."

"Which is why there haven't been many guards!" Janet nodded.

"So come on! Let's blow this thing and go home!" He roared. "Giga Destroyer!"

"Atomic Blaster!"

What followed the deafening blast was a heart-stopping race against the raging flames of the explosion. The pair flew up the cargo elevator shaft and to the main level. Flames poured out of the doors as the pair ducked for cover.

"Is it over?" Janet asked.

"No, but I think a few more blasts to the factory will topple the whole thing." Jet said. "We should…"

"Infinity Cannon!"

Screaming, the two dove around the corridor.

"Infidels!" It was Machinedramon. "Look what you've done to my magnificent factory! Dammit, it's so hard to build good help these days. Never mind, I'll destroy you both myself!"

"Jan, I'll hold him off." Jet declared. "You get outside and shoot the factory. It should collapse and crush this lunatic and the rest of his army!"

"And how are you going to get out?!"

"Aw, I didn't know you cared." Jet grinned. "Well, get going!"

With that, he shoved her down the hall and blew out the ceiling, sending a huge pile of rubble toppling down onto the pathway, separating the both of them.

"Jet! Jet! Damn you Jet!" She roared.

However, another explosion caused a tremor that made her start running.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digimon fled in every direction as Janet smashed her way through a wall. Taking flight, she positioned herself above the factory and let off a barrage of Atomic Blasters.

Just as Jet had predicted, the factory collapsed in a huge cloud of smoke and fire.

Heart pounding, Janet glanced through the smoke.

"Jet! Jet! Where are you?!"

She spotted a large shadow and landed on the ground near it.

"Jet?" She squinted.

A huge energy burst shot out from the cloud, taking off a large portion of her chest armor, as well as sending her flying into the nearest wall.

"Did you think you could get rid of me by collapsing my factory?! I think not, my dear, my armor is more than adapted for that." Machinedramon laughed evilly, calmly walking out from the smoke. "Which is more than I can say for your friend here."

The mechanical warlord held up something that had Janet staring in utter horror.

Jet's body was horribly mutilated. He no longer had anything left below the chest, leaving a combination of wires and flesh hanging out from where it should've joined to his waist. His arms and wings had been torn off, and the horns on his head shattered.

Janet realized that Jet was still alive as Machinedramon held him up by his neck.

The fatally wounded MetalGreymon's eyes moved for one last time, looking directly at Janet.

"I'm…sorry…Jan…" He breathed out a final set of words in a haggard voice. "Get…him…for…me…"

Machinedramon then tossed Jet's body up into the air and fired, blasting what remained of him into a cloud of data particles.

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" Jan roared in anguish.

"Don't worry, you'll be joining him shortly."

Screaming in rage, Janet let loose a wave of Atomic Blasters. Machinedramon simply walked forward, using his claws to block out each one.

"Let the professional show you how it's done!" Machinedramon laughed, blowing Janet away with an Infinity Cannon.

The MegaloGrowmon hit the floor hard. Machinedramon reached her as she managed to climb to her feet. Janet slashed at him with her bladed arms, only to have her attacks parried. Machinedramon jabbed her in the stomach and kicked her leg, forcing her down to one knee.

The cybernetic dragon continued his assault, clawing her face before piercing his claws into her chest armor. Janet screamed in pure agony as she was hurled into another wall.

She was barely conscious and already battered, damaged or bleeding in too many places to count.

Machinedramon laughed in triumph, slowly approaching his victim.

Janet couldn't muster enough strength to pull herself up. In her struggle, her Digivice came loose, falling onto the floor beside her.

My world…She thought. The others…Jet…I'll never…see you again. No! Jet, I can't give up…for you…not while I still draw breath! I will…find…a…WAY!

A red beam of light shot out of the Digivice, startling Machinedramon.

For a moment, Janet was shrouded within the glow of the Digivice. In front of her, the Digivice morphed, changing from a D-Ark model to a completely new one.

Its new form took the more elongated shape of a D-3 or D-Scanner, but still retained the card slot along the left side. Two points emerged from the top corners, almost as if they were horns. The screen split, forming two small slits like eyes and a main screen. The bottom, 'pointed' end gained a decorative pattern, making it look like a pair of jaws with sharp teeth.

While the entire Digivice was red in color, the horns, teeth and eyes turned white, while the screen remained black. In fact, it clearly reassembled the head of a Dragon.

The D-Dragon… Janet didn't care how she knew.

The D-Dragon moved and attached itself to her left claw, 'jaws' facing downwards, just above where the three fingers met. Growling, she sprang up and fired, her blast sending Machinedramon rolling over.

The sides of her D-Dragon opened up, revealing thin sections meant to look like wings. A multiple layered ring of Digicode formed around Janet's other claw.

She stood up and crossed her arms in front of her body. The D-Dragon's 'eyes' begun glowing and she brought it together with the Digicode ring.

"Matrix Evolution!"

(Surrounded in red light, Janet's MegaloGrowmon body melted away, revealing the outline of a human beneath. Letting off a scream, she threw her arms open, allowing a new layer of armor to form around her body in a Spirit Evolution style animation.)

"Dukemon!" (aka Gallantmon)

Undaunted, Machinedramon fired again. This time, Janet ran and leapt over him.

"Let's see how you take on another Mega!" She growled, folding her arms and throwing her cape back.

"Infinity Cannon!"

Jan leapt over the blast and onto Machinedramon's head, changing her right hand into a lance in mid-air. Machinedramon roared in pain as she jabbed it into the side of his head, leaping away before Machinedramon reacted.

The mechanical dragon ended up slashing his own face. Janet dashed around the larger Digimon, thrusting her lance into multiple places and rolling away as Machinedramon collapsed.

"Give up, now!" She ordered, throwing her cape to the side.

"Never will I submit!" Machinedramon shouted, lowering his cannons. "Infinity Cannon!"

Janet formed her left hand into a shield and braced herself for the impact. The force of the attack sent her skidding back, leaving a long trail in the dirt, but she managed to stay upright.

"Then, this will be your END!" The knight's shield glowed as she raised it. "Final Elysian!"

The concentrated energy beam which shot out punched straight through Machinedramon's body and out the other side. Machinedramon's body begun to break up as Janet stowed both her weapons.

Her new Digivice had strapped itself to the back of her left fist. The D-Dragon's eyes glowed again and its side sections opened. Janet raised it up.

"You vile creature of evil…let this Digivice cleanse your soul! DIGI-CODE SCAN!"

Janet just stood there panting as the last of the data stream flowed into the Digivice.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you all right?" Andromon asked, walking over to Janet.

She was still in Dukemon form and was hunched forward in her chair, looking at the new D-Dragon strapped to her hand.

Morning had come and the city had been thrown into a state of chaos. Andromon had spent his time trying to take control of the situation and undo the damage Machinedramon had done. It would take time, but Andromon was determined to turn the city over a new leaf. Already, many Digimon had rallied behind Andromon as their new leader.

It seemed like a perfect ending, except for one thing.

"It's Jet…" She said softly. "He…he really was a good guy inside. I was so mean to him and I…I never got a chance to apologize…"

"He was my friend too." Andromon said, patting her on the shoulder. "You needn't mourn alone."

"I know." Janet sniffed. "But more than ever, I want to find the people I care about. I can't stand to lose them too."

"Sounds like you've made a decision."

"Yes, I'll be leaving shortly." She nodded. "I'm going to find the others, no matter what."