Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ The Trial by Fire ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Trial by Fire

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Ow…that definitely wasn't fun…" Sekata moaned, pulling himself up.

He was still Vritramon and took several deep breaths to clear his head. Glancing around, he found himself alone in a vast mountainous region. The sloping landscape was dotted by numerous coniferous evergreen trees.

"Zoe?! Steve?! Janet?!" He called out, through not expecting a response. "I hope they're all right."

Sekata thought of using his Digivice and reached down to where it should've been on his belt, only to remember it wasn't there.

"Arugh! Steve was the one holding on to my Digivice! Dammit!!!" Sekata pounded his head against the nearest tree, unintentionally snapping it in half. "He'd better take good care of it! But without it, I STILL can't evolve! Well, at least I'm not stuck as a Monodramon."

However, Sekata knew he had bigger problems. He was, for one, utterly and completely lost.

"Hmmm?" He sensed something familiar as he sniffed the air. Kneeling, he scoped up a clawful of soil. "Hints of sulphur. Volcanic soil? Could these be volcanoes?"

Now, how did I know that?! Must be because I'm a fire-type. No, wait! Not only the volcano, the land is charred too.

Sekata was on hill over-looking the valley below. He was sure now that he smelt the ashes. From what he could tell, a large fire had swept through there. He now realized the brown patches he could see weren't dried out forestry but burnt out areas.

He ran his claws over himself too, and felt he was still slightly warm, as if he'd used his flames recently.

Oh no…did I…do that? He wondered, staring down at the blackened area.

Sekata had no idea how long he'd been out for before he'd woken up on the hill, but the possibility remained. He was stuck in a body he couldn't completely control, and perhaps his subconsciousness had acted up somehow?

The thought of his body moving by itself was unnerving, but all he could think of was running in the opposite direction of the burnt region.

However, even in the bright daylight, he failed to notice several pairs of eyes watching him, their forms hidden in the darkest bushes of the greenery…

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata decided to make camp as night fell. Gathering a pile of wood was a simple task for him, but it was starting the fire worried him.

"OK," He muttered, holding out his claws. "I want just a little flame. Not a raging inferno."

To his surprise, he got exactly what he wanted, a small ball of fire in the palm of his hand, which he used to light his campfire.

Lying down and staring into the flames reminded Sekata of those long, lonely nights he'd spent here, alone in the Digital World. He was used to being alone, but now, something felt different.

Yeah, different now that I don't want to be alone…

In the midst of the mesmerizing flames, Sekata dozed off.

However, his dreams weren't at all pleasant. Nightmares of fires, killings and destruction. And in the center of it all stood himself, Vritramon.

He could hear the screams of his victims, those he'd slain, tore limb from limb and eaten their data. Bloodlust…he desired it…he wanted more…more…MORE!

Sekata snapped up, screaming. He felt cold sweat beneath his armored body.

"Not again…" He panted, trying not to lose control. "This keeps up and I…"

He spotted something glowing in the bushes and instinctively leapt away. Sekata was just in time to avoid an energy beam hitting the spot he'd been lying on, leaving flames burning on the blackened spot. Landing in a battle stance, he glanced around for the source of the attack.

He didn't have to wait long as the attacker stepped into view. It was Shadramon, an armored form of Wormmon with the Digimetal of Courage.

Losing out almost immediately to his beast-like instincts, Sekata's vision went red.

"Flare Buster!" Shadramon fired off another attack, which Sekata countered by letting lose with his Corona Blasters.

Shadramon had to roll away as the latter attack pushed the entire energy blast back to his position. The fiery insect immediately got up and bolted through the bushes.

Roaring, Sekata gave chase. He was mad that some Digimon had dared to attack him, and all alone to add to that. Shadramon seemed to run in a straight path, squeezing through the bushes and trees which Sekata tore apart right behind him.

It was during those seconds that Sekata managed to pull his own mind back into control.

What the heck am I doing? Hey, wait! That bug could be leading me in to a trap…

No sooner had he comprehended that, he was suddenly caught in a sticky net. Sekata tripped and fell forward, entangling himself as he trashed his limbs about wildly.

"Did we get it?" A voice asked excitedly.

"It's Vritramon right?!"

His beast side flew into a blind rage, preventing him from clearly making out the figures standing around him.

NO! Got to…control…can't let myself…hurt anyone…RRRRAAAAAARRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Flames burst out from beneath his armor, shrouding his entire body. With a thunderous roar, he ripped the net apart.

"Watch out! He's breaking lose!" A female voice warned.

He was suddenly rammed from the side, hitting the ground hard. However, the move had only fueled his anger. Two shapes leapt to attack him, a boar-like one and a four-legged creature with two huge tusks.

Sekata swung his tail and swatted one off. The boar sank its teeth into his wrist, but Sekata simply grabbed it and flung it away.

Yet another Digimon came at him, this one looking like an armored bull. Sekata lowered his body and caught it by the horns, butting heads with it. The force of the bull charging at him shoved Sekata back several feet, leaving trails in the dirt as he braced himself with his feet.

Grinning, Sekata leaned his body to one side and pulled, using the bull's motion to throw him. He didn't have time to celebrate through as a pair of missiles hit his right thigh, forcing him to one knee. It was immediately followed up by someone pouncing onto his back and grabbing him around the neck.

Despite being in a beast rage, the names of his attackers still clicked into his mind.

Boarmon, Courage armored form of Armordillomon. Sethmon, Love armored form of V-mon. Bullmon, Hope armored form of Wormmon….

The paws strangling him were covered in flaming fur. Sekata leaned forward and tossed his opponent onto the floor in front of him.

It was a Lynxmon, which he pinned down on her back and raised a claw to strike.

"Go ahead." She snarled, giving him a fierce stare. "Destroy me like you did my parents! And my village!"

WHAT?! Through horrified, it took Sekata all of his self control to delay the killing blow. He realized the reason these Digimon were attacking him was because they thought he was the monster that had gone on a rampage through the regions earlier on.

It had most likely been some innocent Digimon, possessed by the Beast Spirit of Fire, who'd committed the crime. But now that the Spirit had attached itself to Sekata and evolved him into Vritramon, all evidence pointed to him instead.

Time however, wasn't waiting while Sekata collected his thoughts. That painful realization came from something sharp being jabbed into a lightly armored section in his side.

The pain hit him instantaneously, sending him screaming out loud. He was dragged off Lynxmon and pounded repeatedly.

Sekata actually found himself becoming sleepy. His body was numb, and his senses dulling.

"The knockout serum is working!" Someone cried.

Well, that explains it….urgh…

Sekata was aware of his face hitting the floor, but nothing else after that.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What?! Why do I have to be the one to watch him?!" Lynxmon practically screamed.

"We all have to carry out our duties, like them or not." Shadramon replied.

"I know, but…" The fire cat shot a glance over to Vritramon, secured firmly in place. "I won't stand less than a foot away from him without slitting his throat first."

"That's up for the elders to decide."

"Well, I already know what they're decision is gonna be!"

"Perhaps so, but don't get yourself into trouble with them again." Shadramon warned. "Is it all right for me to leave you?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Get going bug face."

"Humph. Take care." Shadramon muttered before departing.

Lynxmon lay down on the stone floor as the door slammed shut. The cavern that served as the 'jail cell' was lit only by a row of candles, although her own flames gave off some light as well.

It didn't really matter much to her anyway. All the 'rooms' in this series of caves looked the same to her. After her village had been destroyed by one of Vritramon 's rampages, Lynxmon had come to join up with this group. Many other were homeless like herself and had taken up residence in this series of caves near a volcano.

The elders apparently regarded the volcano as some sacred trial area, but she hadn't cared much at all. The 'Trial by Fire', if she remembered correctly. However, all she'd wanted was revenge on the Digimon who'd killed her family.

It had been merely days ago, but a hunting party had been formed to be on watch for the killer and Lynxmon had jumped at the chance to join in.

And now that she had him, right in front of her eyes, a bunch of old rules prevented her from doing that, without a decision from the council first.

"This sucks…" She groaned, turning towards her 'captive'.

Vritramon was bound to a large, flat piece of rock by several energy rings, around his neck, chest, arms, wrists, waist, legs and knees. The ring around his neck was supposed to have a paralyzing effect, meaning he wouldn't be able to move anything below his neck.

Seeing that brought her thoughts back to the fight from earlier on.

He could've easily finished me off back then, but he hesitated. Why?

"No…no…get away…" A voice whispered. "…out…of…me…"

Lynxmon snapped up, startled. It took her a while to realize it was Vritramon who was talking, or more specifically mumbling in his sleep.

"Jeez, the bas***d can talk." She muttered. "Surprises me that monster was actually give a voice at all."

Vritramon's head stirred as he continued to mumble some indecipherable words. His fists seemed to try to clench several times too.

"What is with this thing?!" She wondered, leaning closer.

Just then, his eyes snapped open. Startled, Lynxmon jumped backwards.

"What the?! Where am I? Ugrh…" Vritramon looked around in confusion, before struggling futilely with his bonds.

"Humph, awake at last." Lynxmon put on boldest tone she could.

"You…you're the one from the battle."

"So, you remember huh? I'm surprised."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" He demanded.

"I wouldn't think cold-blooded monsters like you needed more than half of a brain at all."

"I…I…" Vritramon stopped shot. "About what you said to me during the battle…it was me, was it?"

Lynxmon snarled.

"Listen, please, just hear me out! What I do…I'm not always in complete control of it. Even of my own body."

"Lies won't be getting you anywhere." She replied. "They'll most likely be executing you tomorrow, once the council's made its decision."

"Execute me?!" Vritramon staggered. "Wait! This is some mistake!"

"Mistake?!" Lynxmon yelled. "After what you've done, you're lucky I'm not disemboweling you and shoving your guts down your mouth right now!"

"Please, can't you at least hear me out?" He spoke in an almost pleading tone.

"You can keep on talking, but I'll never fall for your deception!"

"I'm not sure if I should thank you for that one, but here goes…"

He went on to tell about how he'd once been a Monodramon. He'd had an unfortunate encounter with 'Vritramon', who attacked and nearly killed him when a cave-in saved his life. He'd spotted and touched a glowing object which appeared from Vritramon, apparently called a Spirit, which had changed him into the beast himself. From then, he'd been hearing the voice of AncientGreymon in his head and even not being able to control his own actions at times.

According to him, he'd been separated from his friends in a storm and ended up near here.

Lynxmon kept her stern face up the whole time, although inside, something seemed to be telling her to believe him.

"I guess you don't believe me." Vritramon sighed. "I don't blame you. But just let me say, it could've been someone else possessed by this Beast Spirit that destroyed your village, or it could've been me nevertheless, but…I'm sorry."

The fiery cat glanced towards him. He was her enemy, she'd told herself that time and time again. And yet, what was she feeling right now?

An emotion between disbelief, pity, scorn and anger. There was just no way Lynxmon could describe it.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata hadn't anticipated it would be this bad.

He'd had his fair share of humiliation in his life, but being booed, jeered and cursed by the entire crowd was extremely painful. Emotionally of course.

But even as he turned his head to look over the crowd, he felt that he couldn't blame them either. Many are quick to judge by appearance alone, and such was true of this community. They only saw him as the Vritramon who'd gone on a rampage and destroyed their villages and families.

Thing is, I would be doing the same thing in their position. Sekata thought grimly.

In the morning, he'd been taken to a large cavern, probably a 'common area' of the community. Sekata was brought in front of their council, several village elders lead by a Baromon, a human-like Digimon clad in a shaman's robes and wearing a fierce-looking mask.

Still securely bound, he was forced to kneel and was given the chance to have his say. Sekata told them the same story he'd told Lynxmon during the night. He knew that the chances of that getting him out of this predicament were close to zero, but he had to try.

His final plea had caused an uproar among the gathered crowd, which the council was frantically trying to control. Finally, Baromon slammed his fists on his table and the room fell silent.

The village leader waited until his had the attention of everyone in the room before addressing Sekata.

"Well, judging from the response of the crowd, I believe their decision is obvious." Baromon spoke. "Do you have anything else to say then?"

"No, there's nothing else I can say." Sekata admitted, biting his lip.

"Then our…"

"Hold on!" A voice shouted.

Lynxmon?! Sekata wondered as the fire cat pushed her way through the crowd and leapt down in front of the elders.

"I propose we let him face the Trial by Fire." She said. "And let the Great God of the South decide on the truth of his tale."

A lot of murmuring went through the crowd until Baromon spoke up again.

"That can be done, if the accused decides to accept the trial."

"What is this trial anyway?" Sekata asked.

"South of here lies a volcano considered sacred since ancient times." Baromon told him. "It is said that the fiery God of the South watches over the paths within and only a worthy and noble warrior will be allowed passage. The trial is supposed to take the chosen from one side of the volcano to the other within a quarter of a day."

"And if I get through, you'll believe me then?"

"Indeed, it will be through the will of the southern god. And we shall abide by his decision."

"I accept then." Sekata nodded.

"You may begin immediately if you desire."

"Yes, I'll do that."

The crowd began shouting again, but Baromon quickly silenced them.

"I should inform you also that there are no records of anyone having survived the Trial by Fire before." Baromon told him.

Sekata gulped.

Err…ok…look on the bright side. There's a first time for everything, right?

As the guards moved to drag him away, Lynxmon came up to his side.

"Hey Lynxmon, thanks." Sekata whispered.

"Don't bother." She growled. "I did that little bit of research last night to save your scaly butt because you spared me on the battlefield."

"Oh, it's about warrior's honor then?"

"Indeed. But don't even think I sympathize with you." She continued, jabbing a claw at his chest. "They say the souls of those who fail will be damned to burn in the fires of hell for all eternity. And that's where I WANT to see you!"

"You can't exactly see me in hell without going there yourself."

"I didn't mean it in literal terms!" Lynxmon huffed, turning her back.

Even as Lynxmon left, Sekata could feel that there was something different about her tone of voice.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata was blindfolded for most of the way. When his eyes were uncovered, he found himself facing a dark, forbidding hole in the floor. He could feel the heat coming up from it, although it didn't bother him much at all.

"Hey, I have a question." He turned back, facing Baromon and several guards. "I'm a fire element. Exactly how is fire supposed to be a trial for me when I can just walk through it?"

"A fine observation indeed." Baromon said, walking up to him. "But…"

All of a sudden, Baromon pulled a small pouch off his belt and threw a strange powder into Sekata's face.

"Arrghh!" Sekata stumbled backwards and fell down the hole.

While tumbling wildly, he felt his bindings release themselves from his body, but there was no space to spread his wings in the cramped tunnel.

Sekata hit the ground face-first, groaning as he pulled himself up. The tunnel he'd come down had magically sealed itself off. He was on an 'island', surrounded by a sea of molten lava. Other small rocky structures littered the sea, providing a line of stepping stones.

"Damn, why do I feel so hot?" Sekata muttered. "I can't…ARGH!"

A sting of pain shot up his tail. He'd accidentally let its tip touch the lava…and it had hurt!

"What the?! I'm all blue! What the heck's happened to me?!" He cried, looking over himself.

Instead of his usual coloring, his entire body had taken on two shades of light blue, almost like the color of ice. He tried to open his wings, but they felt hard, stiff and numb. From the way they looked, Sekata thought they might shatter if he tried to force them any more.

"That is the Trial part." Baromon's disembodied voice sounded. "Facing the fire as an ice elemental."

"You never told me that!" Sekata pulled his tail up, staring in shock. Its tip had been melted off by the lava.

"You weren't supposed to know." Baromon replied. "You'd better hurry on too. If the heat doesn't eventually kill you, an unexpected eruption might."

"Let me guess, I wasn't supposed to know this volcano was active too, huh?"

"Precisely. Ironic isn't it? To fall prey to the fury of your own element?"

"Just you wait." Sekata growled, seeing his cold breath condense in the air.

Taking a deep breath, he leapt onto the first stepping stone. He screamed upon feeling the heat of the stone. To put it simply, it was like standing bare-footed on a hot plate.

Sekata nearly plunged into the lava, but managed to land his fore claws on a nearby rock and vault himself over to a larger stone. He managed to stop once he'd landed on a larger and higher platform, not as badly affected by the heat.

"Ow…not good." He groaned, staring at the burn marks on his hands. "Not good at all."

He looked on at the second row of stepping stones, which led to an opening on the other side of the lava lake.

"This is going to be a long day…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata made it through that challenge with minimal burns. The next set of caverns consisted of moving platforms, being pushed about by the current of the lava.

With no other option in sight, Sekata had to jump from platform to platform.

"OK…" He reassured himself. "You do this in video games all the time, right?"

He found there was an almost natural pattern in doing his jumps. Sekata reached the end rather quickly, but there was where he got a little overconfident and tried to jump over two platforms instead of one.

His attempt backfired and he stumbled. Fortunately, he managed stretch and get his limbs between the last two platforms. It left him precariously balanced; arms grabbing one side, legs pushing against the other and his chest barely inches above the lava.

The heat was unbearable as Sekata desperately tried to push the pain away and think. A geyser exploded nearby, startling him.

Reacting on instinct, he shoved his body forward, executing a forward roll and landing safely on the final ledge. For a few minutes, he lay there panting, rubbing the newly added burn marks on his chest.

"Argh! I hate this!!" He roared, dragging himself into a nearby tunnel, the only way for him to continue. "If I had my Digivice, I could've de-evolved and I wouldn't be in this god forsaken place! Ggarrghh!"

Frustrated, he slammed his fists against the walls of the tunnel as he entered. Sekata had walked several feet in when a rumbling sound caused him to look back.

A huge, fiery boulder had been jarred loose from the ceiling and crashed onto the ground.

In horror, Sekata realized the tunnel was not only inclined towards him, but also far too narrow for him to maneuver.

"No! No! Stay there, you hear me?" Sekata raised his hands. " Corona Blaster!"

However, instead of his familiar red energy particles, shards of ice shot out from his blasters instead. Sekata barely had time to think about that before noticing their minimal effects on the red hot boulder…other than causing it to start rolling towards him.

"Shimatta!!!" (Damn it!!!)

Sekata turned and bolted down the path. If a Vritramon could look scared, he certainly did now. He dared not turn around, the rumble of the rolling boulder from behind was enough to keep his legs pumping.

Up ahead, Sekata spotted an alcove in the wall. Leaning his body forward, he ran till he felt his lungs would explode. It was his only chance of survival.

Won't…can't…pant…can't…make it…pant…gonna die…gonna die…gonna DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Sekata dove into the alcove and pulling his legs and tail in, just in time. However, he still felt the heat of the burning rock as it went past and smashed an opening in the tunnel's wall.

Leaning out, Sekata stared at the hole, dizzy with tension.

"Damn…whew…Indiana Jones made that stunt look…so…easy…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata had completely lost track of time, but he still pushed on, finally emerging into a wide area. Its center was easily the size of a soccer field, surrounded by a moat of lava.

"What is this place?" He wondered out loud.

"It is the site of thy final test." A voice boomed.

The lava bubbled as something arose from beneath it. It started off as a column of flames at first, the begun to form into the shape of a huge bird.

"Zhuqiaomon…" Sekata stared.

I should've guessed it when they said 'fiery god of the south'.

"Thou have done admirably in conquering the challenges laid before thee." Zhuqiaomon continued. "But, do thee truly believe to have the qualities to pass thy test?"

"All that and more." Sekata replied. "I'll take on anything, and win!"

"Thy shalt see…"

Sekata leapt back and covered his eyes as the spot in front of him burst into flames. When he looked forward again, he found himself staring at…Vritramon…the actual, fire elemental Vritramon that was.

"Masaka…" (Not possible…)

"Hello my other half." The other Vritramon grinned. "Pity I won't be knowing you for long…"

Sekata leapt backwards to avoid a claw clash.

"W…What are you?!"

"To put it simply, everything that you're not." His opponent growled, raising his arm mounted blasters. "I am your dark side…"

"Dark side?"

"Fear, aggression, hate, regret…" His double laughed. "Everything you are so good at keeping within. Letting all those emotions well up within yourself. I am a manifestation of those emotions, because you are a master of hiding them."

"No…I never…" Sekata stuttered, backing off.

"Still wish to deny it? Remember the guy who once vandalized your bike? How did you react? You couldn't settle for the school's discipline committee to handle it, but wanted to walk in and break his arm. You're certainly capable of that, but your parents held you back. Why? It's against your laws and they don't want to tarnish their family name with you getting into trouble. And you hated them for not letting you have your revenge…"

"Stop it!"

"Your peers view you as strange because you're not as outgoing as they are, and you turned your back on them in response."

"Shut up!"

"There's much you want to do, but always there are 'higher powers' holding you back. You despise that too…and still, you hide it all within."

"Aaarrrggghhh!"

"But you don't realize that that anger of yours carries over to your current form, and results in you unleashing that welled up rage, in the form of the fiery destruction you cause."

All that time, Sekata had been backing towards the lava moat. However, in his distraught state, he failed to notice that until the last second.

With a roar, his opponent charged. Sekata swung to the side and threw his double into the lava.

"I can't deny it." Sekata said out loud. "Those are some of my worse points. I'm no star pupil. I can be pretty rebellious and stubborn too. But, somehow…I have to look at it from their point of view too. Sometimes, they have to keep me in check. However…"

The other Vritramon burst out of the lava, firing his blasters in rage. Sekata retreated slightly and returned the shots, the fire and ice energy canceling each other out.

"It wouldn't be me is it wasn't." Sekata continued, readying his blaster for another round. "The darker side of me will always exist, but I can strike a balance between the bad and the good. Even now, I'm making that change…and that will make me stronger!"

"We'll see how strong your resolution is!" His opponent roared. "Flame Storm!"

Vritramon's trademark attack involved shrouding his body in deadly flames and attacking the enemy with a series of swift rushes.

Sekata dodged the first attack, knowing he had to strike back.

"Flame Storm!" He yelled, raising his claws and waiting for his flames to emerge.

Unfortunately, none did, leaving him posing there looking like an idiot.

"What the?! Rrrargghh!!" He rolled out of the way and looked down, remembering his currently altered elemental status. "Crap! What the hell am I supposed to do?!"

A third attack left his right arm singed by the flames.

"Wait a minute, now that I'm ice elemental..." A smile crossed Sekata's face. "Glacial Storm!"

This time, the attack responded, surrounding him within a storm of ice and snow instead. He now had a fighting chance against his fiery opponent.

The enemies clashed several times before pushing each other apart. Landing at the same time, both readied themselves for a final charge as if they were a pair of bulls in a fight.

Sekata however, had a plan. He dropped to the ground at the last possible second, leaving his opponent no time to stop, but trip over Sekata's tail instead.

The double hit the ground hard, groaning.

"You're finished!" Sekata taunted.

"Don't underestimate your fears!" The false Vritramon roared, suddenly leaping up and firing.

"AAArrrggghhhhhh!" Sekata brought his blaster up, but not fast enough.

Next thing he knew, he was on his back, staring at the stump of his severed right arm and feeling the agonizing pain that shot throughout his body.

Laughing evilly, his opponent walked forward and pulled him up, punching repeatedly in the face. Sekata collapsed and was pinned down, with each on his opponent's feet on his chest and remaining arm.

"You'll die alone and in misery because the world despises you!" His double yelled, pointing a blaster at his head.

"I feared that once…" Sekata gasped weakly. "But I now know that's not true. In my heart, the people I care about will fight with me...no matter how far apart…we …are!"

Sekata turned his body to the side, throwing his opponent off balance enough for him to heave up. The false Vritramon fell backwards and pulled himself up, just in time for Sekata impale him with his remaining claw.

The clone screamed long and loud before disintegrating into nothingness. Immediately afterwards, Sekata dropped to his knees, exhausted.

"Thy have great strength warrior." Zhuqiaomon, who'd been watching the entire battle, suddenly spoke. "However beware, thou also possess a great darkness within. In times to come, thee will either conquer it, or it will lead to thy destruction."

"Yeah, erm, I get you." Sekata nodded.

I think…

"Go then, warrior. Enter the flames of purification and complete the Trial…"

Sekata suddenly found himself engulfed in flames. Screaming, he clenched his fist and gritted his teeth. He was screaming until his world faded to black.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! Wake up you tin-canned dragon!"

"Urghh…Zoe?"

"Wake up you moron! I'm not in a mood to hear you sleep talk!"

Sekata opened his eyes to find himself staring up at Lynxmon.

"Where…am I?"

"Oh, you're in hell and I'm Hades, Lord of the Underworld." Lynxmon muttered sarcastically. "You're back on our caves, duh! You actually passed the Trial and bear Zhuqiaomon's mark!"

"The what? Huh?" Sekata not only found himself back to his normal Vritramon colors, but his right arm was restored as well.

He flexed its fingers just to be sure and noticed something like a holographic image on his hand.

"This is Zhuqiaomon's mark?"

"Yes. It's really unbelievable!"

"No kidding…" Sekata nodded. He didn't know how the Digimon would read it, but the symbol looked to him like the Japanese Kanji for South, 'minami'.

"Oh, you're awake." Baromon walked in. "You have both my most heartfelt congratulations and my deepest apologies for the way you've been treated."

"You don't have to apologize." Sekata replied. "If I were in your position, I would've done the same thing."

"You are truly noble. I see why the God of the South has chosen to place his blessings upon you."

"I know, but…" Sekata looked down. "I've caused all of you harm as well…"

"We all need to move on." Lynxmon walked up to him. "And this is probably the time to start."

"That's a new thing from you." Sekata commented.

"Consider that my apology." She huffed.

"If you don't mind," Baromon interrupted. "Our council would like to hear your story again."

"You sure put a lot of faith on Southern God's judgment." Sekata commented. "Considering no one believed me before."

"We are not perfect either." Baromon said. "It was our mistake."

"Forget about it." Sekata put a hand on his shoulder. "I'll go have a chat with you council guys…"

Just then, his stomach rumbled loudly.

"Erm…could I get something to eat too?" He laughed nervously.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow, I'm stuffed." Sekata muttered, leaning back against his bunk.

After a whole lot of talking and explaining, he'd gotten a full 12-course meal. Although some of the Digimon residents were still uneasy, most had accepted his triumphant return and his 'spiritual cleansing', as they believed it to be.

However, he knew he would have to leave soon. His companions were out there, somewhere in the Digital World.

"Hello? Can I come in?" Lynxmon pushed open the door. "I need to talk…"

Sekata nodded as the fire cat walked in hesitantly.

"It's about yesterday, right?" He asked. "You did believe me the first time I told my story."

"How'd you know?!"

"I sorta guessed it from you proposing to send me on the Trial." Sekata told her. "But I'm curious to know how come?"

"It was after I finished my guard duty of watching you." Lynxmon replied. "I wasn't sure if I was hearing things at first, but there was this voice in my head."

"A voice?"

"Yeah, really weird. This voice just told me that you were telling the truth."

"What kind of voice?"

"Definitely female." Lynxmon continued. "Also, I could almost feel as if the voice had a name. It was a 'Z' or something. Like Zen or Zed or…"

"Zoe?!"

"Yeah, that's it!" Lynxmon nodded. "Got it in one shot too and…hey, what's wrong?"

Sekata just couldn't answer. His face was frozen in its utterly startled expression.

"Hey! Digital World calling Vritramon! You there?!"

"Zoe…" He muttered, lost in his own world. "How did you know? How did you do it?"

"If that happens to be someone you know," Lynxmon cut in. "well I hears Seers can do this sort of thing. They're sorta like psychics or telepaths. You know? The ESP thing and stuff."

"Zoe…" Sekata grinned. "I'm going to have a lot of questions for you."