Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Secret of the Summoning ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret of the Summoning

By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Wow, the winds are really strong!" Zoe yelled.

"They're not usually this bad!" An Angemon known as Michael replied. "Be careful and don't let your wings get caught!"

Following her ordeal at the haunted mansion, the Angemon had given Zoe a place to stay as she recovered. During that time, Zoe had discussed her telepathic abilities with him. Michael had suggested upon her coming to his home town, where she could possibly learn more.

Unfortunately, he hadn't mentioned that that path involved a trek up a steep and rocky mountain. Normally, that wouldn't have been a problem, but some fierce winds had been brewing up, making flying precarious in close quarters to the mountain range.

"It should be round the next bend!" Michael called over the howling winds.

"That's what you said the last time!"

All of a sudden, an even louder roar interrupted them. That was followed by an explosion on a part of the mountain below them.

"What the?!" Zoe gasped. "Look down there!"

"It's a Devidramon!" Her companion exclaimed, glancing at the large black shape. "But how did it get up here? More importantly, what's it doing?!"

"I think it's attacking something!"

Zoe could make out several other red bursts of energy belonging to another Digimon, but the devil dragon's body obscured most of her view. It also seemed to have the smaller Digimon clasped in its claws. One thing she did know however...she had to help.

Ignoring Michael's protests, Zoe spread her wings and leapt over the edge. By some stroke of luck, the winds had changed direction, blowing in the direction she actually wanted to go.

"GGarghh! Raagghh!!! Help!!" The cries of the Devidramon's victim reached Zoe.

Only at the moment, when she started attacking did Zoe realize the voice was strikingly familiar.

"X-laser!"

The attack connected with Devidramon's shoulder, causing it to turn its head and roar furiously at Zoe. Unfortunately, it had also turned its back on its former prey.

"Fireball!"

Zoe took advantage of the distraction and swung both fists, knocking the Devidramon off its perch and down to the levels below. However, she now found herself hovering over a familiar Guilmon.

"Jan?!"

"Well, who else would I be...erm, never mind, scratch that." Janet muttered, looking down at herself.

"Yeah, I feel the same way." Zoe sighed, landing beside her friend. "What in the world are you doing here?"

"Some idiot misdirected me to the 'nearest' town. But I should be asking you the same..."

"Heaven's Knuckle!"

The holy based attack flew past the pair and hit Devidramon's face, who'd suddenly popped up again.

"Thanks!" Zoe panted as the Angemon flew down to join them.

"I hate to break up your reunion girls, but how about we take care of him first?"

"Here he comes again!" Janet warned.

The persistent dragon rose yet again, firing off a set of red lasers from its multiple eyes. The trio scattered to avoid the blast, but the options were limited for Jan, not being able to fly.

"Yargghh!" Screaming, she slipped off the ledge, disappearing into the cloud of dust the explosion had stirred up.

"Jan!" Zoe yelled in panic. She needn't have worried through.

"Guilmon evolves…Growlmon!"

The smoke cleared to reveal the larger, evolved form of Guilmon clinging to the wall by digging her claws in deep.

"All right pal, payback time! Exhaust Flame!"

Although Devidramon managed to avoid the full force of the fiery blast, it was still sent flying backwards. Enraged, it realigned itself and prepared for another round.

Michael and Zoe rushed in, but were forced to move as it began lashing about wildly with its claws.

"Jan, watch out!" Zoe screamed.

"Ugh oh!" Janet couldn't exactly maneuver well from her awkward position, leaving only one option. "Rrrraagghhh!"

With a thunderous roar, she leapt right at Devidramon, grasping him tightly around the neck and shoulders. Even with her opponent struggling and jerking about, Janet managed to pull herself onto his back, holding the demon dragon in a chokehold.

"We can't shoot or we might hit your friend." Michael muttered, intently watching the mid-air wrestling match.

"Damn!" Zoe shouted.

In desperation, Devidramon swung from side to side, slamming its back, and Janet, into the side of the mountain. Even as pain shot throughout her entire body, Jan managed to free one hand and claw the creature in one of its many eyes. Resorting to wild instinct, she bit down on its shoulder at the same time.

"Over here!" Zoe called, stretching out her arms.

Janet reverted to Rookie form as she leapt towards Zoe. The devil dragon's body finally fell limp and plummeted out of sight, towards the ground below.

"Whew, that was a close one!" Zoe panted, hovering in place.

"Yeah..." Janet nodded. "But do you mind NOT holding me by my tail?!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow..." Zoe muttered, holding Janet's hand to look at her new Digivice. "Hard to believe that you actually went to Mega Level."

The red D-Dragon, as its name suggested, reassembled a dragon's head. It had two white 'eyes' and a screen where the 'dragon's' open mouth should've been, appropriately decorated with a jaw/teeth pattern. The dragon's jaws pointed towards the fingers as it was secured to the back of Jan's left hand.

"It was a wild experience, I'd say." Janet laughed. "Even my Digivice got a new form. But..."

"But what? You look rather concerned."

"Look at this." She showed Zoe an image of 4 black triangles on her screen. One was in the center, pointed downwards, and the other three at each of its points. "It seems to keep popping up on every now and then."

"Isn't that the symbol on your chest?"

"Yeah, and on most of my higher forms too. I'm sure it's supposed to mean something, but I can't really remember." Janet sighed.

"We should have plenty of time to discuss that later." Michael said, walking around the bend and pointing further ahead. "We're here. This is my hometown."

The two girls could only stare with their mouths wide open. Both had been told that it was a city of angel type Digimon, but seeing it personally was certainly another thing.

The city looked as if it had been built into the clouds themselves, rightly so being so high up on the mountains. A large golden gate lay up ahead, and behind it, huge temples and other white buildings were clearly visible. The closest thing Zoe could compare it to was the thought of the 'Gateway to Heaven'.

"Hey!" Michael walked up, waving to the two Angemon standing at the gate.

"Welcome home brother." One of the guards greeted. "How have you fared?"

"Aye, had my ups and downs, but I'm going strong. By the way, I have some friends here with me..." Michael gestured. "And I was hoping that..."

"Look at the red one." One of the guards pointed. "Isn't that...?"

"It is!" The other yelled, both guards suddenly raising their staffs.

"What?!" Zoe and Janet were both stunned.

"Wait! Those are my friends! What is this about?!" Michael demanded.

"Stop!" A deep voice ordered. "Just because of the actions of a certain individual is no reason to discriminate against the rest of a race."

The new figure was clad in a grand set of silver and green armor, with 10 golden angelic wings on his back.

"Lord Seraphimon!" The angels gasped, stepping aside.

"They were just doing their job. I apologize for the trouble caused." Seraphimon spoke, approaching the girls.

"Luckily you came at the right time." Janet nodded.

"Indeed young lady. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you might not be too popular here. A certain Digimon has recently been causing trouble in the city, and its description so happen to reassemble you."

"Oh, that's just great." Janet sighed. "This is some way to stroll into town for the first time."

"Erm, excuse me sir, but I suppose you're in charge, right?" Zoe asked.

"Haha, I suppose you could say that." The armored figure chuckled. "I believe too, that you, the Digivice bearers, have many questions."

"H...How did you know?!"

"I observed your battle from afar." Seraphimon replied. "However, we should not talk here. Please, come to the palace and I will do my best to answer your questions."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The town was populated by many forms of angel-like or holy-beast type Digimon, including Angemon, Angewomon, Piddomon (a re-colored Angemon with pink robes instead), Rapidmon, Pegasusmon, Nefertimon and Gatomon.

Michael left the group partway, wanting to visit some friends now that he was back home again.

"It's really amazing." Zoe gasped as they walked.

"Hey look." Janet pointed. "Why is that Patamon wearing a pink belt?"

"Dunno...trying to make a fashion statement?"

"Don't be mislead." Seraphimon told them. "Our lands are far from being peaceful. As representatives of the Great Angels, it is our sacred duty to protect this realm from the forces of the Underworld."

Soon, they were led through another set of gates, past a large fountain with a dragon statue in the center, and into a huge, crystal palace.

Seraphimon offered the pair a seat in a meeting room and stepped up to a screen.

"Would you like to begin, or shall I?"

"You called us the Digivice bearers." Zoe said. "Besides the obvious, what significance does that really have?"

"That would take us back way into the history of our Digital World." Seraphimon answered, flicking the screen on. Images began flashing past as he spoke. "Conflict in the Digital World has been a never-ending struggle between the forces of light and darkness. Periods of peace come and go, as do periods of war and hardship."

"But, what does that have to do with us?"

"Allow me to explain further. It bring us to a timeless eternity termed CHAOS, simply a 'dark force' with no physical form or body has been the cause behind everything."

"No physical form?" Janet muttered.

"We ourselves are still unclear about this. However, rumors say it is a collection of 'energy', dark emotions, evil desires and lost souls, that has corrupted many, bending them to do its bidding."

"Why not destroy it then?"

"Because it has never been found." Seraphimon sighed. "It has been said that it's trapped in a dimension between the many panes of existence. However, throughout the ages, many groups of brave warriors have always risen to challenge the dark forces: those supposedly corrupted by the CHAOS, hoping to also vanquish the CHAOS with them."

"I guess it hasn't worked, right?"

"Only to a certain degree. These brave souls have done everything but destroy the CHAOS itself. Amongst the most renowned of these tales are the Legend of the Warrior 10 and the Story of Omegamon."

Coincidental that he mentions the two legends most related to us. Zoe thought. Guess Aero V-dramon and the Digimetal Knights are in this business too.

However, it was Janet, having similar thoughts, who spoke up first.

"Omegamon...he's apparently the one who called us into this world." Janet said, giving Zoe a nod. "What's the scoop about him?"

"They say that he was the first and lone warrior who came closest to eliminating the CHAOS forever. He drove the CHAOS from the Digital World, followed it through dimensions and into the depths of its abyss, never to be heard from again. However, the legend goes that he remains there to battle the CHAOS, preventing it from rising into the Digital World again, until the chosen ones arrive to truly defeat CHAOS once and for all. And those chosen ones would be bearers of the Holy Digivices."

"You must be kidding, right?!" Janet burst out. "We're just a bunch of teens that got turned into Digimon! They can't possibly expect us to be these 'Chosen Warriors' or something!"

"Yeah, it's unnerving." Zoe added in, although a little more calmly. "I don't know what Sekata and Steve would make of this..."

"Whether the legend is true or not, I myself cannot definitely say. However, no one is asking you to do anything." Seraphimon replied. "The choice is yours after all."

"If doing that will somehow get us back to our world, then it's as good as the only choice we have." Janet looked up.

Unless we want to spend the rest of our lives here as Digimon. Zoe silently continued. It also brought her thoughts back to a similar conversation their group had much earlier on.

"Would that be such a bad thing?" Had been Sekata's response.

Just then, a Pegasusmon burst into the room.

"Lord Seraphimon! The Bazaar is under attack!"

"The Underworld's forces again?!"

"Yes sir. We've already alerted the defense forces."

"Good, let's go!" The armored angel gave the soldier a nod of approval, then turned to the girls. "You should stay here. I strongly suspect that our enemies seek you, the chosen ones."

"Which is an even greater reason for us to go!" Zoe declared, standing up.

"Besides, no one is asking us to do anything, right?" Janet continued.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broken wooden structures littered the street, as did the debris from the surrounding buildings, a couple of them on fire.

"How awful..." Zoe muttered.

A Piddomon stumbled into view, grasping his side in pain.

"Hey, are you all right?" Janet asked, running up to him.

"Watch out!" Piddomon yelled as an Ice Devimon suddenly appeared from behind him, claws outstretched.

"X-Laser!" Zoe sent an energy burst into the frost demon, sending him crashing through a nearby wall.

"Whew...thanks." Jan gasped.

"Sir, they're...around the other side..." The wounded soldier gasped.

"It's all right. We'll take it from here." Seraphimon told him. He gestured for some of the soldiers to help their injured comrade, and sent the rest ahead. "I hope you're ready. A large scale battlefield is quite different from one-on-one fights."

Indeed, the next area was a scene of chaos. Among the many Digimon simultaneously fighting were Angemon and Devimon soldiers, as well as Piddomon and Ice Devimon. In the center of the destruction towered a larger, more terrifying shape.

"That Marine Devimon seems to be in command." Seraphimon noted as a pair of soldiers flew up to him and saluted. "What is their target?"

"We're not sure sir. They just seem to be attacking randomly, as if they were searching for something."

Inwardly, Zoe instantly felt her stomach turn. It was Jan and her that the devils were looking for.

While it was impossible to tell Seraphimon's expression through his helmet, he still seemed to sense Zoe's distress.

"We'll need to take out their commander then." He decided, turning to Jan and Zoe. "I'll be back soon. Watch yourselves."

With that, he flew off with the two Angemon soldiers.

"They're here because of us." Zoe said softly. "All this destruction..."

"Zoe!" Janet pulled her down just in time to avoid a stray blast. "Hey, we can't afford to think about that now! We wanted to come to this battlefield, right? At least let's show them we can do something and...WHOA!!"

The pair ducked as a Devidramon swooped down with its razor-sharp fangs.

"I'm starting to really hate those things." Janet growled. "Zoe, you distract him and I'll...Zoe? Zoe?!"

"Hey YOU!" Roared a voice from an adjacent rooftop. Zoe stood there intimidatingly taunting the Devidramon. "Come and get me!!"

And the devil dragon did just that, turning and sweeping in for another round.

"Hey! Zoe, get out of there!" Janet yelled in panic, not even seeing Zoe do so much as budge a muscle.

She covered her eyes, expecting the worst. But Janet soon opened them again to witness an amazing sight. Zoe had simply spun to the side and slammed both her arms onto the back of the larger dragon's head, snapping its neck. Its body fell to the ground and disintegrated into data particles.

"Zoe..." Janet muttered, staring up at her friend.

Zoe had her head turned towards the battlefield, claws clenched tight. Her hands trembled as a single tear drop fell, glistering in the sunlight. In all the time Janet had known her, Zoe wasn't one to lose her temper easily. However here she was angry...very angry.

"STOP IT!" Zoe roared, Digivice glowing. "XV-mon evolves…Paildramon!"

Ignoring Janet's protests, the Paildramon took to the skies, charging into the center of the battlefield.

"Desperado Blaster!"

The blue energy bolts were carefully aimed, striking several Devimon down. Zoe didn't care that it attracted the attention of just about every Underworld soldier there was. Despite taking damage from projectiles, claws and slashes, Zoe swung the fists about, combining that with firing her blasters wildly.

Soon, everything was a blur. Zoe didn't even know who she was attacking.

All of a sudden, a pair of tentacles wrapped around her neck and body. Marine Devimon had chosen this moment to attack, choking Zoe and dragging her down.

"Atomic Blaster!" A pair of Jan's white energy rays threw Marine Devimon back, releasing Zoe in the process. "Are you crazy?! You trying to get yourself killed or something?!"

"I was handling it just fine!"

"No you aren't!" Janet growled. "You're...watch out!!"

"Guilty Black!"

Shoving Zoe to the ground, Janet used her larger MegaloGrowmon body to block Marine Devimon's attack, a spray of corrosive black liquid. Jan roared in pain as the acid ate into her armor nevertheless.

"NO!!" Zoe cried in horror.

"Seven Heavens!"

With an ear-splitting screech, Marine Devimon's body disintegrated in a cloud of data particles. Behind him stood Seraphimon, his hands still raised after hurling the seven glowing fireballs into Marine Devimon's back.

Seeing their squad commander defeated, the Devimon and Ice Devimon soldiers hastily began to retreat.

"Get a medic over here, ASAP!" Seraphimon called.

Janet lay on the ground, moaning in pain as Zoe knelt down beside her.

"I'm sorry..."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, Janet (back in Rookie form) found Zoe standing on the balcony of the Crystal Palace , gazing out aimlessly at the dark sky.

"Zoe?"

"I messed up big time today, didn't I?"

"Hey, you just made a little misjudgment. Besides, I'll be all right." Janet said, tapping her left arm, which was wrapped in bandages. "Healers here are incredibly good."

"Little?!" The XV-mon growled, turning her Digivice around in her claw. "I totally lost it out there."

"It happens to the best of us." Janet told her reassuringly. "It's been hard for me too. I've...learnt some lessons out here too...the hard way."

"It's just that...things happening so quickly, so many changes." Zoe continued. "I...I...I just need some time to myself."

"I understand." Janet nodded, turning for the door. "I'll be going out for a walk."

"Sekata...I wonder how you've handled this for so long..." Zoe whispered, wiping the tears out of her eyes.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That was certainly no standard raiding party sir." A Rapidmon was speaking to Seraphimon. "It would've been more discrete, or at least on a smaller scale."

The meeting room was currently filled with the various division leaders, each presenting their reports on the day's attack.

"Indeed, but it was too small scale to be a frontal assault either." Seraphimon nodded.

Even if it was aimed at the chosen ones. He added in silently, choosing to keep that fact to himself for now.

"I'm sure they knew that one squad could not have caused us significant damage." A voice commented.

"Then, why attack at all?" Another voice came.

"That's what doesn't add up." Seraphimon said, looking at each of his advisors. "And that's also what worries me."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The streets were far less crowded at the late hours and Janet had no problems making her way through. None of the few Digimon around decided to bother her, a relief after the events at the gate and the battle.

Alone in her ponderings, Janet thought back to Zoe's outburst earlier on. No doubt Zoe had gotten mad at seeing the town's soldiers getting hurt because the evil Digimon were looking for them.

She'd known Zoe since they were young and had definitely never seen Zoe as angry as she was earlier. Janet knew her as a quiet and reserved person, generally following the lead of others, particularly Steve. That wasn't the case now-Zoe was certainly calling her own shots.

Steve somehow managed to carry on being as laid-back and easygoing with his smart remarks as ever, but he also had a lot of guts and strong sense of justice within. Not like she'd ever tell him that anyway.

For herself, it was the case of daring herself to challenge the limits and face reality, and not run back to her computer like she always did before.

In the short time she'd know Sekata, he'd immediately struck her as a loner type. Despite that, his other side showed him as the ideal 'good guy', as much as he tried to hide that.

And that was the four of them, caught up in the rapid currents of changes.

You're right about that Zoe. She thought. Things are going really fast. With all these changes...some of them are good, but will we someday lose our true selves to them? I just...

Completely lost in thought, Janet rounded a corner and tripped on someone's tail. Crying out in panic, she stumbled, waving her arms wildly.

"Whoa, careful there!" She felt a strong grip on her uninjured arm, preventing her from falling down a flight of stone stairs in front of her.

"Thanks." She breathed, turning her head. "I...huh?"

The stranger holding her arm was another Guilmon.

"Yeah, I was about to ask you the same thing too." He grinned. "Don't see many Guilmon around here. Especially with the pretty rude welcome they gave me."

"Hey, it was the same with me." Janet commented. "Any idea what's with that?"

"I'm clueless, I'm afraid." The male Guilmon shook his head. "But if I do find that Guilmon or whatever dinosaur that's been making the rest of us look bad, I'm gonna give em' a piece of my mind."

"You and me both pal."

"Say, you new in town? Seen the new exhibit at the museum yet? I heard they're open late tonight."

"I...erm..."

"Chill, no need to be shy. I understand we just met a couple of minutes ago."

"It's not that, but..."

"Oh, you have a boyfriend?"

"NO!"

"Ok, ok, relax, jeez!"

"Yeah, sorry." Janet muttered. "But, well I don't really have anything to do right now and I am sort of interested."

"No problem, I'll show you the way." He smiled cheerfully.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is something else that you seek."

Alarmed, Zoe spun around to find another angel-like Digimon standing behind her. She was distinctively female, clad in green and golden armor, with a helmet somewhat similar to Seraphimon's, except it left her mouth exposed. She too had many golden wings on her back and had a javelin strapped to her side.

"Pardon my intrusion, chosen one, but when I felt you, I could not ignore it."

"What do you mean?" Zoe asked, facing the female Angel.

"It is best said that you and I share the same gift." The stranger replied. "Of Premonitions."

"I..." Zoe had so many things she wanted to ask, and yet couldn't get the words out of her mouth.

"I understand it's hard to except being away from your own world, and even more difficult knowing you have this gift."

"Why me?" Zoe finally managed.

"That is often asked, but I do not know myself. These things are rare, and just...appear all of a sudden. But it is up to us to decide how we use our gifts."

"I don't understand..." Zoe began, when she suddenly dropped to her knees.

A scene flashed into her mind.

It was Janet, walking alone down a stone corridor. Then, a large humanoid figure appeared behind her. It was black, and completely dark. Suddenly, it rushed for Jan, who spun around in shock.

Zoe forced her eyes open, breaking out in cold sweat.

"Are you all right Zoe?" The female Digimon asked, kneeling beside her. "Did you see something?"

"Janet...she might be in danger." Zoe whispered. "I still have many questions, but I have to go find her! I just can't let that awful feeling I have slip by!"

The Angel nodded as Zoe leapt up onto the railing, spreading her wings.

"Just before I go, you know my name, but I don't know yours."

"Ophanimon."

"Will you be here later Ophanimon?"

"You'll know where I'll be, my friend. Soon enough."

"I don't..." Zoe felt a strong breeze blowing past her shoulder and turned away for a split second. "Understand...huh?"

Ophanimon was gone.

"Weird..." Zoe muttered before taking off.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, unbeknown to her, someone else was also listening to her conversation. Two rather 'small' someones to be exact.

"That was THE Ophanimon, wasn't it?" A voice asked.

"Yeah, had to be." His companion replied. "And she seems to have a liking to that blue dragon for some reason or other."

"The Master will definitely like to hear this."

"You're right. And we're sure to get a big reward for this!"

"Then what are we waiting for?!"

With that, the two Pico Devimon (aka Demi Devimon) left, disappearing into the dark sky.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is this display anyway?" Janet asked.

A large, glass cylinder filled the center of the circular room. Within was a diamond-shaped crystal, glowing with a soft golden light. The room was currently empty, except for the two red dinosaurs.

"It's the Sacred Crystal that's supposed to be the energy source of the gates that protect Angel's Lands from the forces of the Underworld."

"Really? They never told me that."

"Well, it's just a rumor after all. But they say it's the reason the Master of the Underworld cannot enter these lands."

"Wow, sounds really important."

"That why they have some pretty complex security system. Besides, being a sacred object of light, no devils are able to touch it."

"It's really pretty too." Janet commented, stretching her neck for a closer look. "Thanks for showing me over here."

"Hey, no problem Princess." The male Guilmon laughed, putting a claw on her shoulder. "We're from the same species, right? Guys as similar as us gotta stick together, yeah?"

"I..." Janet began when she saw something move. "What's that?!"

"What's what?" Her companion asked, turning to the left.

All of a sudden, the dark, slim shaped of a Devimon dashed out from the right of the cylinder.

"Get down!" Janet yelled, shoving him to the floor and sending off a fireball.

It left a large scorch mark on the ceiling, also setting off the alarms.

"What the heck are you doing?!"

"Something's here!" Janet insisted. "It was right there!"

"Where?!" He turned to his right, only to have the Devimon emerged again, on the side her wasn't looking to.

"Duck!" Janet shouted, sending a fireball straight.

Although his face was partially turned away, Janet could almost swear that for a split second, she saw an evil grin on his face. He stood up straight and took her attack right in the chest, throwing him back into the glass cylinder, shattering it and knocking the crystal over.

Both landed in a heap on the other side of the room.

"Hey!"

"What's going on in here?!" A bunch of Angemon guards burst into the room.

"She's working for the Underworld!" The male Guilmon pointed. "She was trying to get me to steal the Sacred Crystal with her!"

"WHAT?! NO that's not true!" Janet screamed in protest. "There was a Devimon here, I swear! No! You're got the wrong Digmon! HHEEYYY!!! NNOO!!!"

Poor Janet didn't have time to scream anymore because the guards were literally all over her.